PDA

View Full Version : NHC Ross County defender urges clubs to extend expiring deals

e2los
20-05-2020, 07:34 PM
Richard Foster:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52740938

Tired half rant if he said this:

"It's just so that I do have an income coming in during the uncertain months before I could potentially sign for Ross County again or a different club."

He is a young fit man!

I do dislike the BBC, but kinda wondering if he did say that to them, I wonder if the thought of doing an essential job ever crossed his mind?

Just ticked me off if he thinks he is better than the rest of us working through this, ie it's beneath him to work for a living.

He has been pretty successful and being married to Amy Macdonald you wouldn't think he was in need of a handout.

Meh..

MWHIBBIES
20-05-2020, 07:40 PM
He is right to feel worried in these uncertain times.

He says nothing about being better than anyone.

Billy Whizz
20-05-2020, 07:42 PM

They made their Sporting Director, Scott Boyd, redundant yesterday

WoreTheGreen
20-05-2020, 07:48 PM
Is he not married to the singer Amy McDonald’ if so he be ok

hibee_girl
20-05-2020, 07:53 PM

He is :agree:

Since90+2
20-05-2020, 07:54 PM

He is indeed. According to Google she has a net worth of £6 million (appreciate that's an estimate but she's clearly a wealthy individual).

cowdenhibby
20-05-2020, 08:00 PM
Richard Foster: .

Tired half rant if he said this:"It's just so that I do have an income coming in during the uncertain months before I could potentially sign for Ross County again or a different club."

He is a young fit man!

I do dislike the BBC, but kinda wondering if he did say that to them, I wonder if the thought of doing an essential job ever crossed his mind?

Just ticked me off if he thinks he is better than the rest of us working through this, ie it's beneath him to work for a living.

He has been pretty successful and being married to Amy Macdonald you wouldn't think he was in need of a handout.

Meh.. Thought that myself when I read it. He would be one of those guys who would leave Ross Co. in a heartbeat if something else came along but wants them to keep in on the payroll.

Pretty Boy
20-05-2020, 08:01 PM
His own personal situation isn't really the issue though. There will be dozens of players in a similar position.

I'm not sure there is a simple solution but the vast majority of players in Scotland aren't on silly money. Being out of work in the next few months, possibly even years, isn't going to be a picnic for anyone. There's no guarantees of a new full time football contract and other work isn't going to be plentiful either. We are probably only 2 or 3 months away from a huge number of redundancies.

WoreTheGreen
20-05-2020, 08:03 PM
She could maybe sub for another tattoo looks he needs one

e2los
20-05-2020, 08:13 PM

Absolutely correct that he said nothing about being better than anyone else.

However, how is what he said supposed to make the rest of us who are working or/and struggling feel?

He is only 34 and very fit, made a ridiculous amount of money (compared to myself anyway), I'm kicking on 50 and can't see anything other than a short lived meagre retirement most likely 25+ years away.

Grrrr!

And there are lots of younger people lots worse off than I am!

I'm quite sure he feels he is entitled to £2,500 a month and to be honest he is probably right assuming he has been paying huge amounts of taxes like the rest of us.

Just saying I think he is more than capable of of doing a job for meagre wages which would benefit the community rather than annoying me anyway with his sob story.

CapitalGreen
20-05-2020, 08:23 PM
Richard Foster:

Tired half rant if he said this:

"It's just so that I do have an income coming in during the uncertain months before I could potentially sign for Ross County again or a different club."

He is a young fit man!

Meh..

What a weird take. If David Gray’s contract was expiring this summer would you be against giving him a short term contract to provide security for a couple of months until football returns?

e2los
20-05-2020, 08:25 PM
His own personal situation isn't really the issue though. There will be dozens of players in a similar position.

I'm not sure there is a simple solution but the vast majority of players in Scotland aren't on silly money. Being out of work in the next few months, possibly even years, isn't going to be a picnic for anyone. There's no guarantees of a new full time football contract and other work isn't going to be plentiful either. We are probably only 2 or 3 months away from a huge number of redundancies.

Totally agree with you on that, the football players out of contract though are most likely more than capable of doing some of the jobs that us normal people including myself as an old fart are having to do.

mjhibby
20-05-2020, 08:25 PM

However, how is what he said supposed to make the rest of us who are working or/and struggling feel?

He is only 34 and very fit, made a ridiculous amount of money (compared to myself anyway), I'm kicking on 50 and can't see anything other than a short lived meagre retirement most likely 25+ years away.

Grrrr!

I'm quite sure he feels he is entitled to £2,500 a month and to be honest he is probably right assuming he has been paying huge amounts of taxes like the rest of us.

Just saying I think he is more than capable of of doing a job for meagre wages which would benefit the community rather than annoying me anyway with his sob story.

Totally true sir. Go and help your community. Millions of folk are in far worse positions as him. Look inwards and show some humanity towards others less fortunate. He seems annok guy mind you. Must be murder living with Amy McDonald right enough.🤣

TelaStella
20-05-2020, 08:38 PM

Took the words out my mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
20-05-2020, 08:44 PM
Totally agree with you on that, the football players out of contract though are most likely more than capable of doing some of the jobs that us normal people including myself as an old fart are having to do.

I don't disagree that ultimately like anyone footballers might have to do something else to make ends meet. Although when they do it's often seen as something to be ridiculed, Ian Black and Kevin Kyle spring to mind.

I suppose my point in that Foster may well be fine because his partner is independently wealthy and as a couple they can absorb the lost income. In among the players though there will be young lads with minimal first team appearances on £4-500 a week. In fact there is likely a few senior players on not much more than that; Paul Hartley said not so long ago £800 a week was top money at Dundee. It's decent money but probably not enough that a complete loss of income is painless. Finding another job in what is set to be a buyers market will be easier said than done for some.

e2los
20-05-2020, 08:46 PM
What a weird take. If David Gray’s contract was expiring this summer would you be against giving him a short term contract to provide security for a couple of months until football returns?

It's a weird situation but I doubt if anyone of David Grays's class would complain to the media if they were in that situation.

Also surely it would be up to the clubs to make that decision?

I can think of many more people in much greater need of financial assistance than professional footballers though.

At the end of the day it's our money the government are spending/printing.

MWHIBBIES
20-05-2020, 08:52 PM

Grrrr!

You've managed to list a whole lot of things that aren't related at all to his point. Your wages are in no way related to his.

It doesn't make me feel anything really. I don't really take things footballers say so personally and so out of context.

JammyDoidger
20-05-2020, 08:55 PM
I'll get him a job beside me if he's struggling. Getting paid handsomely to sit on yer erchie, no bad eh.

Peevemor
20-05-2020, 09:00 PM
If he has a bit of free time, he can maybe help his mrs to decide whether she's Scottish or Irish.

e2los
20-05-2020, 09:02 PM
I don't disagree that ultimately like anyone footballers might have to do something else to make ends meet. Although when they do it's often seen as something to be ridiculed, Ian Black and Kevin Kyle spring to mind.

I suppose my point in that Foster may well be fine because his partner is independently wealthy and as a couple they can absorb the lost income. In among the players though there will be young lads with minimal first team appearances on £4-500 a week. In fact there is likely a few senior players on not much more than that; Paul Hartley said not so long ago £800 a week was top money at Dundee. It's decent money but probably not enough that a complete loss of income is painless. Finding another job in what is set to be a buyers market will be easier said than done for some.

I need to get my head down as obviously been venting and need to fight another day, Richard Foster was talking about 90 SPL players though.
Was like yourself just trying to say that until football starts up again there is nothing stopping these fit young people doing some worthwhile to get paid whilst helping the community.

Obviously the BBC spin was most likely as ever out of context, but it did make me quite annoyed.

We are only getting out of this mess if we work together.

e2los
20-05-2020, 09:08 PM
You've managed to list a whole lot of things that aren't related at all to his point. Your wages are in no way related to his.

It doesn't make me feel anything really. I don't really take things footballers say so personally and so out of context.

I agree, most likely what the BBC said hopefully was taken out of context.

Keith_M
21-05-2020, 07:50 AM
The Mrs and her motor...

https://www.driving.co.uk/s3/st-driving-prod/uploads/2017/01/amy-macdonald.jpg

Sadly, I think most other lower league players won't have such rich girlfriends

(https://www.driving.co.uk/s3/st-driving-prod/uploads/2017/01/amy-macdonald.jpg)

Betty Boop
21-05-2020, 08:14 AM
If he has a bit of free time, he can maybe help his mrs to decide whether she's Scottish or Irish.

She's from Bishopbriggs .

ScottB
21-05-2020, 08:18 AM
I think it’s a fair point, I doubt Foster or anyone else at County are on several grand a week either.

I think we’re programmed to think all footballers are rich, but hundreds of them in Scotland will be out of contract next month who were on a couple hundred a week. Even £500 a week works out around £25k a year, before tax. In what is a short career anyway I’m sure there are a lot of them, currently very worried about how they will pay their bills over the summer, as people from numerous other walks of life are.

My sympathy would start to melt away once you get into the sort of wages the Old Firm, some of Hearts squad earn; if you’ve been on £5k - £10k a week and you’ve not saved anything, boohoo really, but the big picture is that the vast majority of these players are going to need financial assistance once their current contracts end, whether it’s the dole or something else. Telling them to get other jobs is all well and good, assuming those jobs exist, and assuming they aren’t pressured into waiting for football; say we’re told it’ll be back in August, which then gets postponed a couple times, makes it hard to make career decisions, for players and clubs.

Foster himself, sure, his wife is well off, so maybe he’ll be fine, but then as a consequence of her he has the profile that when he’s complained about this a journalist decided to listen.

green day
21-05-2020, 08:38 AM
Foster is merely voicing what a lot of journeymen footballers will be feeling.

We dont know if he actually has the cushion of his wifes money - there may be a pre-nuptial agreement in place, and frankly his personal circumstances are just that - personal.

But regardless of that, if he came on and said "I am ok, Amy is minted but I am worried about these other poor schmucks I play with....." then he would be slaughtered.

At least he has got people talking about it.

There will be loads of lower paid players who are out of contract in a week who could in theory get a job delivering for Amazon or whatever, but they will be fighting for anything decent with the thousands of others made unemployed in this crisis.

The 90+2
21-05-2020, 10:39 AM
He’s sticking up for the out of contract players not necessarily himself and fair play to him.

HFC93
21-05-2020, 10:44 AM

Off topic, but does she claim to be Irish? Proud Scot as far as I know

The 90+2
21-05-2020, 10:45 AM
Off topic, but does she claim to be Irish? Proud Scot as far as I know

Yeah I thought so too. Goes to loads of Scotland away games even.

Peevemor
21-05-2020, 10:50 AM
Off topic, but does she claim to be Irish? Proud Scot as far as I knowI was getting at her accent when she sings.

Danderhall Hibs
21-05-2020, 11:00 AM

Correct. Not read the article but heard him on the radio (probably the same interview) - isn’t a lot of this stemming from clubs not being willing to extend the furlough for players? Seems simple enough to just do that u TIL there’s more clarity on what’s happening next season?

NC1875
21-05-2020, 11:28 AM
Surely it’s more to do with the government than the clubs.

I doubt clubs will be allowed to extend contracts and then expect the government to pay for said contract.

Eyrie
21-05-2020, 06:00 PM
Surely it’s more to do with the government than the clubs.

I doubt clubs will be allowed to extend contracts and then expect the government to pay for said contract.

You can (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-which-employees-you-can-put-on-furlough-to-use-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme).

An employee on a fixed term contract can be re-employed, furloughed and claimed for

If it wasn't the case then the employee would become unemployed at the end of the contract, which is the situation that CJRS is intended to avoid.