PDA

View Full Version : Salary cap

Ozyhibby
20-05-2020, 01:36 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/52738597?__twitter_impression=true

I’ve long thought this is the only way to make Scottish football competitive. As we appear only to think things are a good idea once England does it theses days, this could be a step in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 8 7 5
20-05-2020, 01:39 PM

I’ve long thought this is the only way to make Scottish football competitive. As we appear only to think things are a good idea once England does it theses days, this could be a step in the right direction.

No danger that will go ahead up here.

Peevemor
20-05-2020, 01:42 PM

That could certainly help Scottish clubs in terms of keeping/signing players.

Sir David Gray
20-05-2020, 01:44 PM

Even if it's not brought in up here, it might stop Scottish Premiership clubs from losing a lot of decent players to Leagues One and Two in England.

Ozyhibby
20-05-2020, 01:46 PM
No danger that will go ahead up here.

It’s in the interests of 10, maybe 11 of the clubs to have a £5m salary cap in the league. It’s only because it’s not done elsewhere that it hasn’t happened here. Covid 19 might change that. It’s possible that other European countries start to do the same to reign in costs.

Jim44
20-05-2020, 01:47 PM

Are you suggesting this would be across the board in all leagues? I wonder what the ugly sisters would have to say about this hindering their European campaigns. :rolleyes:

Ozyhibby
20-05-2020, 01:50 PM
Are you suggesting this would be across the board in all leagues? I wonder what the ugly sisters would have to say about this hindering their European campaigns. :rolleyes:

Sevco might se it as a chance to get parity with Celtic and not worry too much about Europe?

Diclonius
20-05-2020, 01:53 PM
A worldwide transfer and salary cap is the only thing that might make football more competitive rather than a two/three horse race in most countries. That's also precisely why UEFA will never approve it.

Peevemor
20-05-2020, 01:54 PM
Salary caps won't happen in any top leagues, or if they do they'll far exceed anything that will effect even the OF.

Ozyhibby
20-05-2020, 01:58 PM
Salary caps won't happen in any top leagues, or if they do they'll far exceed anything that will effect even the OF.

Remember that salary caps benefit owners the most. Plenty big clubs are owned by Americans who love salary caps.

danhibees1875
20-05-2020, 02:39 PM
This alone could be quite good for the Scottish game to be fair. If they introduced 20 team squads and £2.5M in league 1 their average wage would be £2.4k a week. Obviously they could have higher and lower earners but I think we'd probably no longer see a situation where Scottish players can earn more in league 1/2 or where it costs us a fortune to get L1/2 players in who aren't good enough. :dunno:

As for it being in place up here, I can't see it happening. It also seems unfair, something along the lines of a % of income cap would seem more reasonable - 75% or whatever is realistic.

04Sauzee
20-05-2020, 02:51 PM
We could potentially compete with Sunderland for players if they introduce the salary cap in England 👀👀

Lunatic
20-05-2020, 02:53 PM
This would be the best thing ever to happen to Scottish football.
What about a salery cap for the league. Europe and the cups - no limit.

GlazedDonut
20-05-2020, 03:47 PM
20 player limit could be an interesting move for the Scottish game. Could potentially stop Celtic buying up all the decent players from competing clubs and letting them rot in the reserves. Not quite sure how it could/would be enforced with long term injuries etc tho.

Never gonna happen since it won’t benefit celtic/rangers but it’s things like this that would need to happen to improve the Scottish game.

Michael
20-05-2020, 04:14 PM
This would be the best thing ever to happen to Scottish football.
What about a salery cap for the league. Europe and the cups - no limit.

So you have players that play in cup and Europe only?

Ozyhibby
20-05-2020, 04:30 PM
So you have players that play in cup and Europe only?

No but salary caps can be designed so that extra payments can be payed to veterans of your club or to players that have come through your own youth set up.
A good marketable league is one which is competitive. Celtic and Rangers would still have an advantage from their bigger youth academies and their ability to attract the best coaches outside the salary cap but it gives everyone else a chance.
A cap set at about £6m per season still means they would spend more than most of the league but it brings other teams into the fight.

Duke of Currie
20-05-2020, 05:16 PM
Always thoughth this would be agood idea , but thought that if the salary cap was a % of turnover would force clubs to stay within limits relative to the size of the club and allow larger clubs the opportunity to pay the higher wages where they required but still within the threshold.
Also , the squad sizes would be placed a set limit but cubs playing in Europe would be allowed a few exra players in the squad due to the additional games or length of the season.

hibbyfraelibby
20-05-2020, 05:24 PM
Squad limit work well in the NFL where there is a 45? Player rule. If a pkayer gets seriously injured you can de-activate them for remainder of season up to play offs and replace them with a player off the injured reserve roster to a max of 5 times per season.

ancient hibee
20-05-2020, 05:31 PM
It would lead to even more fraud in football just as it has in the rugby down south.

Ozyhibby
20-05-2020, 05:34 PM
It would lead to even more fraud in football just as it has in the rugby down south.

Where teams tend to be caught and punished. That would be tricky in Scotland right enough.[emoji23]

ancient hibee
20-05-2020, 05:35 PM
Where teams tend to be caught and punished. That would be tricky in Scotland right enough.[emoji23]

They're talking of punishing them again too.

Haymaker
20-05-2020, 05:54 PM
Would be interesting but I think every country would have to go for it: could see a scenario where one or two don't and they hoover all the best players up.

Would definitely like to see a tighter squad limit though, force teams to really invest in and develop youth players.

Ozyhibby
20-05-2020, 06:00 PM
Would be interesting but I think every country would have to go for it: could see a scenario where one or two don't and they hoover all the best players up.

Would definitely like to see a tighter squad limit though, force teams to really invest in and develop youth players.

Scotland isn’t exactly getting to hoover up any talent anyway. We could do it without affecting the quality of player apart from Celtic and Rangers. Hibs would be unaffected.

Haymaker
20-05-2020, 06:26 PM
Scotland isn’t exactly getting to hoover up any talent anyway. We could do it without affecting the quality of player apart from Celtic and Rangers. Hibs would be unaffected.

While true, there's no way Celtc or Sevco go for it just here.

There's definitely some more over sight into clubs wages/overspending etc needed so anything that helps address that is good.

Ozyhibby
20-05-2020, 06:36 PM
While true, there's no way Celtc or Sevco go for it just here.

There's definitely some more over sight into clubs wages/overspending etc needed so anything that helps address that is good.

Sevco might be tempted by something that brings Celtic closer to the pack.

Eyrie
20-05-2020, 06:38 PM
Always thoughth this would be agood idea , but thought that if the salary cap was a % of turnover would force clubs to stay within limits relative to the size of the club and allow larger clubs the opportunity to pay the higher wages where they required but still within the threshold.
Also , the squad sizes would be placed a set limit but cubs playing in Europe would be allowed a few exra players in the squad due to the additional games or length of the season.

Makes sense.

I loathe both Ugly Sisters but don't think it's right to deny them the ability to spend the money that they make. I wouldn't be happy if our wage bill was restricted by a salary cap set at a level Hamilton can afford.

It's also got the big advantage of ensuring teams live within in their means.

Antifa Hibs
20-05-2020, 07:06 PM
No but salary caps can be designed so that extra payments can be payed to veterans of your club or to players that have come through your own youth set up.
A good marketable league is one which is competitive. Celtic and Rangers would still have an advantage from their bigger youth academies and their ability to attract the best coaches outside the salary cap but it gives everyone else a chance.
A cap set at about £6m per season still means they would spend more than most of the league but it brings other teams into the fight.

Why £6m which i suspect will be our wage bill fairly soon if/when football and the economy gets going?

Surely if fairness is the aim of the game you cap it at the lowest wage bill? So Hamilton's I'd guess at maybe £1.5m a year?

MWHIBBIES
20-05-2020, 07:29 PM
Not a hope in hell players or their unions would agree to this. Rightfully so.

Ozyhibby
20-05-2020, 07:33 PM
Why £6m which i suspect will be our wage bill fairly soon if/when football and the economy gets going?

Surely if fairness is the aim of the game you cap it at the lowest wage bill? So Hamilton's I'd guess at maybe £1.5m a year?

That’s why I picked it.[emoji3] if you want it to happen then you need inconvenience as few teams as possible. At that level it only affect two massively and the other two might be happy to cut back if they have more chance of silverware.

Ozyhibby
20-05-2020, 07:34 PM
Not a hope in hell players or their unions would agree to this. Rightfully so.

Players don’t get a vote. They either sign or they don’t.

MWHIBBIES
20-05-2020, 07:37 PM
Players don’t get a vote. They either sign or they don’t.

Of course they get a vote. They are the ones taking the cut. They might not have an official say but they would just walk away or strike.

You would likely have to renew everyones contract to do this and plenty would just say no and walk. Utter disaster.

Ozyhibby
20-05-2020, 08:26 PM
Of course they get a vote. They are the ones taking the cut. They might not have an official say but they would just walk away or strike.

You would likely have to renew everyones contract to do this and plenty would just say no and walk. Utter disaster.

There would be a transition period where all existing contracts are honoured.

hibbysam
20-05-2020, 09:06 PM
Salary caps, drafts etc aren’t for me. I want to see the club maximising our income and building our club to become better than those around us. Firing a salary cap on to then hinder our clubs even more when we get into Europe isn’t the way forward in my opinion.

Smartie
20-05-2020, 10:56 PM

Would Rangers and Celtic trade domestic dominance for a more level playing field with the big boys in Europe?

They might.

Eyrie
21-05-2020, 05:44 PM
Where do you draw the line?

Should all second tier clubs like Alloa, Ayr or Hearts have the same player budget? And would that budget limit be applied to us if we drew them in the Scottish Cup?

MWHIBBIES
21-05-2020, 06:24 PM
There would be a transition period where all existing contracts are honoured.

So you've have clubs renewing guys for 5 years just before it and others with full teams on salary cap?

More holes than a sieve in this plan.