PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Summer 2020-21 transfer thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

FilipinoHibs
29-07-2020, 12:04 PM
Seen a few folk suggest Nisbet can play on the left of a three up top. Is he that kind of player?

My mates a Pars fan and said he's definitely an out and out striker and needs to play through the middle. His goal return suggests he's an out and out striker too.

A lot of his I have seen are him coming in from the left.

HendoDelivered
29-07-2020, 12:18 PM
Marcs dad can’t see him coming back here happening atm.

bingo70
29-07-2020, 12:19 PM
A lot of his I have seen are him coming in from the left.

Yeah me too, that’s what I was basing my opinion on.

Can’t see us playing with a conventional two up front with Boyle on the wing and Scott Allan in midfield so a three up front makes sense I think.

Not suggesting Nesbitt will play as wide as Boyle on the other side but possibly coming in from the left.

supermcginn
29-07-2020, 12:23 PM
Marcs dad can’t see him coming back here happening atm.
Great news.

JimBHibees
29-07-2020, 12:37 PM
I would say your post is more of an embarrassment than McNulty ever was.

I'm not saying he was particularly good in his 2nd spell but 'embarrassment'? No chance!

Personally I'd like to see us bring a 4th striking option in - we seem to have struggled with 3 for the last few seasons.

Agree struggling to remember the number of games he played for us last season, just looked 8 games 4 goals when clearly he looked like he needed games after not playing at Sunderland.

He wasn't great last spell as I am sure he will agree however to me showed enough in previous time he could be an asset. Also thought his forward play in the BSC game was excellent in terms of intelligent movement. Kind of depends the financials around this but personally wouldn't be disappointed if he joined up.

JimBHibees
29-07-2020, 12:41 PM
He was an embarrassment in the derby.

The whole team were an embarrassment in that Derby.

JimBHibees
29-07-2020, 12:42 PM
Lewis had a good game at Ibrox at centre back, would you be happy with him playing there?

Boyle is a poor striker, has been shown many times. Brilliant winger, must play there.

Now you think of it. :greengrin

KeithTheHibby
29-07-2020, 12:59 PM
I think there’s room for both.

I can see us playing with 3 up front, Boyle on the right, Doidge in the centre and Nisbet Coming in from the left. I think Gullane will be challenging and covering for Nesbitt’s place. A.N other to challenge Doidge in the centre, that could easily be McNulty and Boyle on the right with Drey Wright covering there.

Will be very surprised if we play 3 up top.

Our defence was woeful last season and I know a lot of that was down to formation and a lack of defensive midfielder. I will be shocked if Gogic suddenly solves all our problems.

I can see us lining up 4-4-2;

Rocky

Gray / McGinn
Hanlon
Jackson / McGregor / Porteous
Stevenson / Doig

Plenty cover in defence.

Midfield needs to have a balance and my choice would be;

Boyle - Gogic - Newell - Allan who plays direct behind the strikers.

Doidge and Nisbet up front.

I really don't see much game time for Mallan, Horgan, Wright and Hallberg although it's a long season and with 5 subbies allowed plenty options for changing the shape.

Based on that it wouldn't bother me if we didn't sign anyone else.

SaulGoodman
29-07-2020, 01:10 PM
Ivan Sproule stamped on a hearts player once. Was he not interested and an embarrassment?

Unseen work
29-07-2020, 01:20 PM
I think it was obvious as soon he his photo/interview went up announcing him for his second spell that he was miles off it. He looked in horrible shape and like someone had just plucked him off the street.

The first spell I was pleasantly surprised by how sharp and fast he was as I saw highlights and photos of what he looked like at Coventry etc. Second spell was back to Coventry sort of fitness/shape.

supermcginn
29-07-2020, 01:30 PM
Ivan Sproule stamped on a hearts player once. Was he not interested and an embarrassment?
He was an embarrassment that day, left his team mates a man down when they were already struggling. Ivan however done a lot of good things in big games and not just against teams like bsc glasgow.

Unseen work
29-07-2020, 01:41 PM
Flo has uploaded a photo on his Instagram in a car park with a player, Pajtim Kasami who plays for FC Sion

Wonder if they are just mates or he could be going to Sion.

A quick search looks like the car park may be Sions stadium or training ground car park...

easty
29-07-2020, 01:42 PM
Agree struggling to remember the number of games he played for us last season, just looked 8 games 4 goals when clearly he looked like he needed games after not playing at Sunderland.

He wasn't great last spell as I am sure he will agree however to me showed enough in previous time he could be an asset. Also thought his forward play in the BSC game was excellent in terms of intelligent movement. Kind of depends the financials around this but personally wouldn't be disappointed if he joined up.

7 games 1 goal...cos counting the BSC game is pointless in my opinion. How many goals he scored or how intelligent his movement looked in that game is as good as irrelevant, our players should always look good against opposition of that standard. No disrespect to BSC intended...put them up against a side 5 levels below them, and they'll look great playing against inferior opposition too.

Souter96Mac
29-07-2020, 02:16 PM
Now that would be a signing.

Big time. A midfield including Gogic Irvine and Allan would be very good

we are hibs
29-07-2020, 02:19 PM
No chance we could afford Irvine. Reckon he will sign for a championship club.

HibbyAndy
29-07-2020, 02:21 PM
No chance we could afford Irvine. Reckon he will sign for a championship club.

Nah Hearts cudnae afford him

04Sauzee
29-07-2020, 02:31 PM
Flo has uploaded a photo on his Instagram in a car park with a player, Pajtim Kasami who plays for FC Sion

Wonder if they are just mates or he could be going to Sion.

A quick search looks like the car park may be Sions stadium or training ground car park...

Hope there is something in this

Dr_Regal
29-07-2020, 02:40 PM
Big time. A midfield including Gogic Irvine and Allan would be very good

Watched a lot of championship football, and Jackson Irvine has always impressed me. Quality box to box midfielder, has it all. The type of player that might struggling to match his previous wage in this climate. Got Boyler for an Aussie comrad too.

Boyle Irvine Gogic Allan Newell
That’s filthy.

Would be looking to add an experienced striker too, maybe someone like Danny Graham who is now a free agent. Brilliant in the air still, similar to what Holt was.
Maybe a Centre half in on Loan too.
Ship Kamberi, and close window.

JimBHibees
29-07-2020, 02:47 PM
7 games 1 goal...cos counting the BSC game is pointless in my opinion. How many goals he scored or how intelligent his movement looked in that game is as good as irrelevant, our players should always look good against opposition of that standard. No disrespect to BSC intended...put them up against a side 5 levels below them, and they'll look great playing against inferior opposition too.

Intelligence of movement isn't really relevant to opposition.

hibbysam
29-07-2020, 02:55 PM

Can’t remember the centre half that said recently that McNulty is the hardest striker to play against due to his movement. Not going to make excuses for him, he never hit top form, but the flak he has taken is well over the top. He wasn’t not trying, I still felt his movement was there, he was unfit from having barely played for donkeys and had no pre season. He only played a handful of games. Would enhance our squad no end, but won’t happen due to the demands of his club and the situation we find ourselves in.

Iggy Pope
29-07-2020, 02:57 PM
He didn't get sent off so not sure how that could have crossed your mind......unless you just made it up of course.

TKO right there!

JimBHibees
29-07-2020, 03:03 PM
Can’t remember the centre half that said recently that McNulty is the hardest striker to play against due to his movement. Not going to make excuses for him, he never hit top form, but the flak he has taken is well over the top. He wasn’t not trying, I still felt his movement was there, he was unfit from having barely played for donkeys and had no pre season. He only played a handful of games. Would enhance our squad no end, but won’t happen due to the demands of his club and the situation we find ourselves in.

Agree the criticism of him is ridiculous for all the reasons you list and the fact he had so few games.

easty
29-07-2020, 03:10 PM

Where was the intelligence of movement the rest of the time? Looking good against poor opposition doesn't really matter if you don't look good against the teams you come up against week in week out.

easty
29-07-2020, 03:18 PM

I'm not sure where you're getting that from? Unless I don't understand what you're actually saying?

McNulty joined us in February, and he'd played in 21 games already for Sunderland before then (more than a handful). I dunno what a pre-season has to do with it?

JimBHibees
29-07-2020, 03:18 PM
Where was the intelligence of movement the rest of the time? Looking good against poor opposition doesn't really matter if you don't look good against the teams you come up against week in week out.

He was struggling to get up to speed. Think it isn't relevant anyway as don't think he will be at Hibs anyway.

easty
29-07-2020, 03:26 PM
He was struggling to get up to speed. Think it isn't relevant anyway as don't think he will be at Hibs anyway.

I don't really know how he could be struggling to get up to speed, when he'd been playing for Sunderland (not as a starter, but playing fairly regularly still). It's not like he'd come here after a long spell without any football.

The 90+2
29-07-2020, 03:36 PM
McNulty was an embarrassment to the shirt at times last season. I would be baffled if we brought him back this year.

He would be expensive - perm or loan - and would far rather spend that money on a good defender as we are lacking quality in that area, as per usual.

Doidge, Nesbit, Gullan plus Boyle (if required) is more than sufficient. In fact, those are great striking options.

He played in 8 games and scored a Hattrick in one. Gie the guy a break ffs.

Garymcl
29-07-2020, 03:40 PM
Signing guys like Jackson Irvine may not necessarily be out of our reach contributions to things like HSL on a greater and regular basis would certainly help in a scenario like this just saying :greengrin

Tambo
29-07-2020, 03:57 PM
Can't see us signing nisbet then McNulty, maybe we will bring in a 4th striker on loan in a few months and keep shanley as 4th choice, then loan him out to someone in the championship.

But I think our defence is which needs improved the most.

Tambo
29-07-2020, 03:57 PM
Hamilton Academical have signed striker Tunde Owolabi from English non-league side FC United of Manchester for an undisclosed fee.

The 24-year-old joins on a one-year deal having scored 35 goals for the Northern Premier League club last term.

He was among the leading scorers in the top seven tiers of English football.

Monts
29-07-2020, 03:58 PM
Motherwell sign Callum Lang from Wigan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53585582

number9dream
29-07-2020, 03:58 PM
Hull had the option to add another year onto Jackson Irvine’s deal but could not afford the £10k a week after relegation. Their top 8 earners, including Stephen Kingsley, are all set to leave.
I’d be very surprised if we could land either player. Irvine will probably get snapped up by an English Championship club since he did well in his first couple of seasons with Hull.

The 90+2
29-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Can't see us signing nisbet then McNulty, maybe we will bring in a 4th striker on loan in a few months and keep shanley as 4th choice, then loan him out to someone in the championship.

But I think our defence is which needs improved the most.

Definitely. Defence is number one priority. We desperately need a centre half and right back.

easty
29-07-2020, 04:05 PM
Hamilton Academical have signed striker Tunde Owolabi from English non-league side FC United of Manchester for an undisclosed fee.

The 24-year-old joins on a one-year deal having scored 35 goals for the Northern Premier League club last term.

He was among the leading scorers in the top seven tiers of English football.

:faf: thats a nice spin on being top scorer in the 7th tier of English football

Peevemor
29-07-2020, 04:16 PM
:faf: thats a nice spin on being top scorer in the 7th tier of English footballThe thing is he'll probably score plenty for them, including a couple against us, and they'll flog him for a few hundred grand. When we sign players like that, they generally might get on (but not off) the bench a couple of times, go on loan to D2 for a season then get released with our best wishes.

B.H.F.C
29-07-2020, 04:16 PM
Definitely. Defence is number one priority. We desperately need a centre half and right back.

If we’re gonna be playing with a back three (which I think we will mostly) then right back isn’t needed as desperately as I have previously thought. If we were only to sign one more player then, for me, it would be a centre half. A proper first name on the team sheet type.

04Sauzee
29-07-2020, 05:39 PM
📸 PICTURED | Vasilis Barkas spotted in Glasgow as he gets set to complete £4.5m move to Celtic

https://t.co/O6a8p16Qrg https://t.co/5uqIrnmPNl

JimBHibees
29-07-2020, 06:06 PM
I don't really know how he could be struggling to get up to speed, when he'd been playing for Sunderland (not as a starter, but playing fairly regularly still). It's not like he'd come here after a long spell without any football.

Most of the games prior to joining Hibs he was getting 10 mins.

HibbyAndy
29-07-2020, 06:22 PM
📸 PICTURED | Vasilis Barkas spotted in Glasgow as he gets set to complete £4.5m move to Celtic

https://t.co/O6a8p16Qrg https://t.co/5uqIrnmPNl

Where is Fraser Forster ?

Souter96Mac
29-07-2020, 06:29 PM
Where is Fraser Forster ?

Still at Southampton, reckon he'll be wanting to try and stake his claim for number 1 ahead of the euros next year.

Hibee Mac
29-07-2020, 06:34 PM
Still at Southampton, reckon he'll be wanting to try and stake his claim for number 1 ahead of the euros next year.Agree, he's good enough to play for a PL team and give Pickford a run for his money

Souter96Mac
29-07-2020, 06:37 PM
Agree, he's good enough to play for a PL team and give Pickford a run for his money

Pickford is guff. Dean Henderson is by and far better than him

MWHIBBIES
29-07-2020, 06:38 PM
Agree, he's good enough to play for a PL team and give Pickford a run for his money

Hes easily behind Pope and Henderson. Pickford is in very bad form and has been for 18 months. Doubt he will be first choice much longer.

Cant see Forster working his way back in but never know. Been well out of the reckoning for a while. Hasn't actually played under Southgate.

Keyser Sauzee
29-07-2020, 06:40 PM
Hes easily behind Pope and Henderson. Pickford is in very bad form and has been for 18 months. Doubt he will be first choice much longer.

Cant see Forster working his way back in but never know. Been well out of the reckoning for a while. Hasn't actually played under Southgate.

Agree, even his club number 1 McCarthy will be ahead of him in the England set up.

04Sauzee
29-07-2020, 07:28 PM
Not a transfer but not good news for Aberdeen

EXCLUSIVE: Aberdeen star Sam Cosgrove facing FOUR MONTHS out with knee injury

https://t.co/aCWna8L8AK https://t.co/vhUuasZv3Y

MWHIBBIES
29-07-2020, 07:30 PM

Good news for us that is.

Heisenberg
29-07-2020, 07:31 PM

They’ll be gutted he knocked back that move to France.

HibbyAndy
29-07-2020, 07:34 PM

Good.

Iggy Pope
29-07-2020, 07:36 PM
Good.

:greengrin

HibbyAndy
29-07-2020, 07:39 PM
:greengrin

Bloody predictive text never let me finish :greengrin

Iggy Pope
29-07-2020, 07:39 PM

He’s also clearly a tube. Not easy to like.

hfc rd
29-07-2020, 07:40 PM
Good news for us that is.

Precisely. They are skint as well so can’t exactly go out and spend money finding a replacement.

Deep down I think they will be even more gutted that he knocked back that offer from France.

Iggy Pope
29-07-2020, 07:48 PM
Bloody predictive text never let me finish :greengrin

I thought it was perfect.

Souter96Mac
29-07-2020, 07:52 PM
Precisely. They are skint as well so can’t exactly go out and spend money finding a replacement.

Deep down I think they will be even more gutted that he knocked back that offer from France.

So is it doubtful they'd have money to splash for Shankland?

04Sauzee
29-07-2020, 07:55 PM
So is it doubtful they'd have money to splash for Shankland?

They said they wouldnt spend money on a transfer fee and it woukd be 1 in 1 out. I think it would be difficult for them to spend money on a transfer fee although Kamberi would be a decent fit 👀👀

davhibby
29-07-2020, 07:58 PM
Aberdeen are already short at the back too. No reason why we shouldn’t be finishing above them this season

Souter96Mac
29-07-2020, 07:59 PM
They said they wouldnt spend money on a transfer fee and it woukd be 1 in 1 out. I think it would be difficult for them to spend money on a transfer fee although Kamberi would be a decent fit 👀👀

I like your thinking, they can have him for a decent whack 😈

King Cosell
29-07-2020, 08:12 PM

McNulty on loan? Stranger things have happened at sea.

04Sauzee
29-07-2020, 08:22 PM

Good shout

The 90+2
29-07-2020, 08:23 PM
If we’re gonna be playing with a back three (which I think we will mostly) then right back isn’t needed as desperately as I have previously thought. If we were only to sign one more player then, for me, it would be a centre half. A proper first name on the team sheet type.

I agree that’s needed more, a first choice wing back would be my second choice if we can. Saying that nothing would please me more than a full fit season from Sir Dave.

The 90+2
29-07-2020, 08:25 PM

Boyce on loan would be a better shout.

Vault Boy
29-07-2020, 08:27 PM

It'll almost certainly be a loan they use to plug that gap I'd imagine. McNulty probably wouldn't suit their 'style,' though they still have Main so perhaps they won't look for a like-for-like replacement for Cosgrove.

I'll be glad to see Aberdeen weakened, but struggle to do anything but wish him a full and swift recovery, bad injuries are not really something to revel in.

Springbank
29-07-2020, 08:56 PM
Boyce on loan would be a better shout.

Makes sense for all parties

Don's get a decent striker
Boyce avoids the career wilderness
Hearts shed the dressing room of a disappointed player

Unseen work
29-07-2020, 09:18 PM
Cosgrove being injured for 4 months got Aberdeen is a huge blow for them. They’ll undoubtedly spend money/pay good wages to get a replacement in.

A big physical striker that can lead the line is essential to how Aberdeen play and going but McInnes is put money on him trying to bring in either;

Louis Moult
Liam Boyce
Big physical English player on loan

jacomo
29-07-2020, 09:22 PM

He’s not, because Pope is like a high class Rocky - good shot stopper but not very good at distributing the ball.

Pickford is the right type of keeper for Southgate’s England team, even if he’s in poor form.

hibbysam
29-07-2020, 09:43 PM

Majority of his games came in August and September. That’s over 3 months with pretty much no football. Couple of minutes here and there isn’t going to get you up to speed. Nor is being the fittest man alive, match fitness is only got on the pitch getting plenty minutes in the bank. When he got to hibs he was seriously lacking match fitness and it showed. You don’t get that back over 3/4 games. Like I said, he never set the heather alight, but the fact defenders praise his movement and how difficult he is to mark, even last season, shows what he can offer. Some of the comments are so wide of the mark it’s unreal though.

hibbysam
29-07-2020, 09:46 PM
He’s not, because Pope is like a high class Rocky - good shot stopper but not very good at distributing the ball.

Pickford is the right type of keeper for Southgate’s England team, even if he’s in poor form.

He’s not in poor form, he’s a piss poor goalkeeper and always has been. Makes mistakes most weeks and howlers far too often. He was fine at Sunderland because of how bad they were, he made a few decent saves but could tell back then how erratic he was.

brog
29-07-2020, 09:46 PM
Cosgrove being injured for 4 months got Aberdeen is a huge blow for them. They’ll undoubtedly spend money/pay good wages to get a replacement in.

A big physical striker that can lead the line is essential to how Aberdeen play and going but McInnes is put money on him trying to bring in either;

Louis Moult
Liam Boyce
Big physical English player on loan
A bigger worry for them is how or if he recovers. I always felt Cosgrove was punching above his weight & its possible he may never hit his current heights again

Sweet Left Peg
29-07-2020, 09:53 PM

Pickford could be a good keeper if he didn't try to make Hollywood saves all the time. Far too often he tries to make things more difficult by going for a spectacular looking save.

Forster, Henderson and Pope should be ahead of him.

Eyrie
29-07-2020, 10:02 PM

Unfortunate for Cosgrove.

But it makes getting off to a fast start all the more important for us now that Aberdeen have lost their main goal scorer.

tamig
29-07-2020, 10:24 PM

Twitter isn’t half a magnet for the dregs of humanity.

Dr What If?
29-07-2020, 10:35 PM
Pickford could be a good keeper if he didn't try to make Hollywood saves all the time. Far too often he tries to make things more difficult by going for a spectacular looking save.

What ever happened to Angus Gunn? Seems not that long ago we were begging him to take a Scotland jersey but he wanted to fight for an England one....don't think he's had a Southampton shirt in a wee while.

hfc rd
29-07-2020, 10:41 PM
What’s the England GK debate got to do with the summer transfer window thread? Are we or any other Scottish club signing one of them? 😂

HendoDelivered
30-07-2020, 01:13 AM
Some decent left backs available on a free just now:

Stephen Kingsley
Luke Garbutt
Marcus Olsson
Borthwick-Jackson

Dmas
30-07-2020, 05:25 AM
What ever happened to Angus Gunn? Seems not that long ago we were begging him to take a Scotland jersey but he wanted to fight for an England one....don't think he's had a Southampton shirt in a wee while.

Dropped after Leicester spanked Southampton 9-0

Souter96Mac
30-07-2020, 06:34 AM
Some decent left backs available on a free just now:

Stephen Kingsley
Luke Garbutt
Marcus Olsson
Borthwick-Jackson

Would take any of these in a heartbeat, but reckon wages would be an issue.

I would love us to go out and sign a younger right back/right wing back as the long term option out there.

However I was listening to the Terrace podcast yesterday, and there was an interview done with journo Alan Temple, and he seemed to suggest that Ross was liking the idea of playing Wright as a Wing Back. He didn't specify what wing, but I'd imagine he'd play on the right?

oneone73
30-07-2020, 06:35 AM
Would take any of these in a heartbeat, but reckon wages would be an issue.

I would love us to go out and sign a younger right back/right wing back as the long term option out there.

However I was listening to the Terrace podcast yesterday, and there was an interview done with journo Alan Temple, and he seemed to suggest that Ross was liking the idea of playing Wright as a Wing Back. He didn't specify what wing, but I'd imagine he'd play on the right?
Temple is a slaver.

Dmas
30-07-2020, 08:04 AM
Temple is a slaver.

There’s was a couple of posters on another thread who believed Ross’s favored formation would be a 3-5-2, maybe he’s not too far off the mark.

I don’t know anything about wright but I do know we’ll loose a bit of threat out of Boyle if he’s playing RWB

MWHIBBIES
30-07-2020, 08:28 AM

Forster is never going to be one of the 3 picked unless he finds world class form. Pickford is daft but he still has good potential, if he gets himself sorted he's a better keeper than Forster with the potential to be much better.

Tom Heaton is also better than Forster but has been injured for most of the last 3 years.

Del Boy
30-07-2020, 08:34 AM
Apparently we made an enquiry about Finlay Robertson at Dundee. This was about a month ago and don’t think it’s gone any further, but might be something that happens in the future. Highly rated midfielder.

04Sauzee
30-07-2020, 08:43 AM
Apparently we made an enquiry about Finlay Robertson at Dundee. This was about a month ago and don’t think it’s gone any further, but might be something that happens in the future. Highly rated midfielder.

Very good player and he's only 16 or 17 I think? Played a number of games for Dundee and looked aright tidy player and a very good passer of the ball. Would be a funny one for Hibs as he'd cost a decent fee and wouldn't get into our starting 11 just yet so would probably go back to Dundee on loan. I just couldn't see it myself

Brightside
30-07-2020, 09:25 AM
What’s the England GK debate got to do with the summer transfer window thread? Are we or any other Scottish club signing one of them? 😂

No idea.... im trying to figure out the link somewhere....

Souter96Mac
30-07-2020, 09:26 AM

Interesting though, it's good to hear we're clearly targeting young players playing in Scotland: Robertson, Harvie, and obviously Nisbet. There's definitely gems in the lower leagues

Garibaldis
30-07-2020, 10:05 AM
Forster is never going to be one of the 3 picked unless he finds world class form. Pickford is daft but he still has good potential, if he gets himself sorted he's a better keeper than Forster with the potential to be much better.

Tom Heaton is also better than Forster but has been injured for most of the last 3 years.

Nick Pope is better than all of them.

MWHIBBIES
30-07-2020, 10:09 AM

Definitely, I said that him and Henderson were the best 2 already :wink:

McD
30-07-2020, 10:18 AM
He’s not in poor form, he’s a piss poor goalkeeper and always has been. Makes mistakes most weeks and howlers far too often. He was fine at Sunderland because of how bad they were, he made a few decent saves but could tell back then how erratic he was.

:agree:

Massively overrated imo

His best skills are shouting a lot and looking like he's angry, and then blaming his teammates when a goal is conceded

hibbysam
30-07-2020, 10:21 AM
:agree:

Massively overrated imo

His best skills are shouting a lot and looking like he's angry, and then blaming his teammates when a goal is conceded

He’s far too hyper, always bouncing about and never calm. That results in him making rash decisions and lacking concentration. Like I said that was fine in a ***** Sunderland team when he had no time to think about anything. It’s no surprise now he can go periods with nothing to do, then makes howlers. He can punt a ball miles, that’s his one asset.

keep the faith
30-07-2020, 10:25 AM
What's with the english keeper debate on here????

jacomo
30-07-2020, 10:26 AM

But his distribution is poor.

04Sauzee
30-07-2020, 10:56 AM
Nathan Ake looks like moving to Man City from Bournemouth for 41m

Speedway
30-07-2020, 11:14 AM
Docherty to Hibs rumour swirling again online.

04Sauzee
30-07-2020, 11:17 AM

Is it where? This kind of rumour gets me excited

HendoDelivered
30-07-2020, 11:21 AM
Nathan Ake looks like moving to Man City from Bournemouth for 41m

Decent windfall for them going into the Ch’ship

Speedway
30-07-2020, 11:46 AM
Is it where? This kind of rumour gets me excited

Facebook in two of the Hibs groups.

bingo70
30-07-2020, 11:46 AM

Online is a big place.

Anywhere more specific you can point us to?

(Please don’t say twitter please don’t say twitter please don’t say twitter please don’t say twitter please don’t say twitter please don’t say twitter ..........or Facebook. 😉)

Vault Boy
30-07-2020, 11:52 AM
I'm still dreaming of the Doc-Gogic-Allan trinity.

Edinburgh Green
30-07-2020, 11:58 AM

I think they'll be trying to punt him, especially after signing Zunga. Still think he'll end up down south tho.

04Sauzee
30-07-2020, 12:14 PM
BREAKING: Celtic confirm signing of Vasilis Barkas

https://t.co/8uSWTC8SEz https://t.co/dwgqsW4r2T

Souter96Mac
30-07-2020, 12:41 PM
I think they'll be trying to punt him, especially after signing Zunga. Still think he'll end up down south tho.

May work in our favour if Morelos goes and they need wages cleared quick to bring in replacement, we're in a position to want Docherty now whereas teams down south aren't. Maybe being too optimistic here, but really hope we can do this deal. Would be a big step towards top 3/4

Speedway
30-07-2020, 02:26 PM
Nisbet cost £160,000 according to this.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/tommy-wrights-scottish-premiership-preview-jack-ross-played-a-blinder-bringing-drey-wright-to-hibs/

04Sauzee
30-07-2020, 02:34 PM
Not a transfer rumour but Newcastle takeover is off

Hibiza
30-07-2020, 02:38 PM

Good . What a difference he made last season.

CraigHibee
30-07-2020, 02:52 PM

Just saw that, wonder what happened

http://news.sky.com/story/newcastle-united-saudi-led-group-calls-off-takeover-of-premier-league-club-12039246

SouthMoroccoStu
30-07-2020, 02:55 PM

From one human right criminal to another - don't see the issue

Clarence
30-07-2020, 02:57 PM

http://news.sky.com/story/newcastle-united-saudi-led-group-calls-off-takeover-of-premier-league-club-12039246

Seems like a commercial decision

HendoDelivered
30-07-2020, 02:59 PM

I thought they seemed a bit dodgy tbh.

Keyser Sauzee
30-07-2020, 03:59 PM
Danny Swanson signs 2 year deal with East Fife

Diclonius
30-07-2020, 04:17 PM

And the annual "Newcastle takeover but actually not" saga comes to its natural conclusion. Till next year!

BlackSheep
30-07-2020, 04:21 PM
With Celtic signing Barkas I wonder how Scott Bain is feeling... I have a feeling Conor Hazard might get more bench time than Bain.

Billy Whizz
30-07-2020, 04:26 PM
Premiership approve use of 5 subs, for next season.
Also 9 players allowed on the bench
Surprised this went through, as it needed a 75% vote in favour

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53600196

04Sauzee
30-07-2020, 04:29 PM
Premiership approve use of 5 subs, for next season.
Surprised this went through, as it needed a 75% vote in favour

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53600196

Wonder how many teams will actually use it? Do appearance bonuses still exist? If they do and in the current economic climate will clubs want to pay bonuses?

bingo70
30-07-2020, 04:29 PM
With Celtic signing Barkas I wonder how Scott Bain is feeling... I have a feeling Conor Hazard might get more bench time than Bain.

Probably delighted to be at a club like Celtic.

He’s done very well for such a bang average keeper IMO.

The 90+2
30-07-2020, 04:30 PM

Minted probably. From papped out on loan at Dundee to sitting on a great contract at Celtic.

04Sauzee
30-07-2020, 04:42 PM
Hearts fans reckon this guy is on trial from Monday, had offers from Ross Cnty according to them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rassambek_Akhmatov

Billy Whizz
30-07-2020, 04:43 PM
Hearts fans reckon this guy is on trial from Monday, had offers from Ross Cnty according to them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rassambek_Akhmatov

Profilic😧

Unseen work
30-07-2020, 04:56 PM

IIRC he’s contracted until 2023 so he will be delighted being at a club like Celtic and picking up that wage.

Its crazy some of the players that are 3rd choice at Celtic and Rangers that would come into our team and massively improve us;

Scott Bain
Luka Connell - Granted I only seen him for 45 minutes but he looked brilliant
Brandon Barker
Greg Stewart
Jamie Murphy
Greg Docherty

If only the players had motivation to go to a team like us and push us on.

Callum_62
30-07-2020, 04:58 PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rassambek_AkhmatovFor them or us?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
30-07-2020, 05:00 PM
IIRC he’s contracted until 2023 so he will be delighted being at a club like Celtic and picking up that wage.

Its crazy some of the players that are 3rd choice at Celtic and Rangers that would come into our team and massively improve us;

Scott Bain
Brandon Barker
Greg Stewart
Jamie Murphy
Greg Docherty

Money unfortunately

04Sauzee
30-07-2020, 05:05 PM
For them or us?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Sorry I just realised I didn't make that clear at all. For Hearts

King Cosell
30-07-2020, 05:09 PM

Scott Bain
Brandon Barker
Greg Stewart
Jamie Murphy
Greg Docherty

They'd strengthen our squad but they're no better than what we've got. Docherty, maybe, but I've got a lot of faith in Hallberg.

Brightside
30-07-2020, 05:12 PM

Scott Bain
Brandon Barker
Greg Stewart
Jamie Murphy
Greg Docherty

Bain wouldnt.
Barker gives 10 mins every 4 or 5 games
Stewart - meh
Murphy - meh
Docherty - 100%. Petrie!!!!

Stuart93
30-07-2020, 05:13 PM
They'd strengthen our squad but they're no better than what we've got. Docherty, maybe, but I've got a lot of faith in Hallberg.

I’d say from his short time at us Dochertys a much better player than hallberg

Fergus52
30-07-2020, 05:28 PM
I’d say from his short time at us Dochertys a much better player than hallberg

They're quite different players tbf.

Docherty has the better engine and is more of an athlete, but hallberg is much more composed on the ball, especially when being pressed.

The last derby really showed up that weakness in dochertys game imo, he gave the ball away constantly under pressure.

easty
30-07-2020, 05:41 PM

Docherty has the better engine and is more of an athlete, but hallberg is much more composed on the ball, especially when being pressed.

The last derby really showed up that weakness in dochertys game imo, he gave the ball away constantly under pressure.

I don’t think Hallberg is more composed on the ball than Docherty.

There’s been plenty games where Hallberg has shown weaknesses.

madhatter
30-07-2020, 05:53 PM

Hallberg seemed to run out of steam. He started as a midfielder that could actually tackle and hassle opponents and then as time progressed he looked more like Mallan defending, sort of chasing after the game and being a second behind the match constantly.

I don’t think we’ve seen the best from Hallberg. I think Docherty is marginally a better player but not miles better. Docherty had a few very very poor games where he looked a very average player. Sad to say but there is probably a reason he can’t even get close to Rangers midfield.

I kept saying Hibs should’ve went for Glen Kamara and we didn’t for seasons and he kept Docherty out the team...McNulty proves what we sometimes do, get a loan, think they’re amazing and then go back again and realise they are just alright.

JimBHibees
30-07-2020, 05:58 PM

Doc way better player, Hallberg got progressively worse through the season. Like him but will need to be better.

Hibiza
30-07-2020, 05:59 PM
Hallberg and Mallan are a league below Greg Docherty.

Spike Mandela
30-07-2020, 06:02 PM

Hearts have become available instead.

The 90+2
30-07-2020, 06:11 PM

Yes, ones a good footballer, ones a poor footballer 😁 Hallberg composed on the ball? People are just hoping the guy turns good when in reality he’s showed very little at all but he came with a good pedigree.

cmcd
30-07-2020, 06:15 PM
Mallan is a far better player than people post .poty for a reason

truehibernian
30-07-2020, 06:22 PM

Mallan is a good player, but he needs better positional awareness - there's no doubting his technical ability and he is a goal scoring midfielder, certainly not robust. Don't think he was helped by the chronic midfield imbalance last season. Played higher up the pitch alongside Allan, there is chemistry. Just means you need two good defensive / combative midfielders behind them.

Hallberg, for me, is a good player in the wrong league. Like Mallan (played deep), he seems to want too much time on the ball.

If it were a choice, I'd have Gogic, Docherty, Mallan and Allan as a midfield quartet. Hallberg will be moved on IMO.

CockneyRebel
30-07-2020, 06:25 PM

Thats going too far. Take away Docherty's goal at ER and he showed very little. Good engine but not much else is the way I see him and not worthy of all the moist knickers he gets on here. IMO just a squad player.

Brightside
30-07-2020, 06:32 PM
Mallan is a far better player than people post .poty for a reason

Mallan is an excellent footballer. Many people just don’t take to him as he’s not especially strong in the tackle. But his passing ability is top drawer.

Ray_
30-07-2020, 06:33 PM
Thats going too far. Take away Docherty's goal at ER and he showed very little. Good engine but not much else is the way I see him and not worthy of all the moist knickers he gets on here. IMO just a squad player.

Ah well, the vast majority of people on here must be wrong about him then, thanks for clearing that up. :greengrin

JimBHibees
30-07-2020, 06:37 PM

Squad player no way.

Robbo6-2
30-07-2020, 06:40 PM

Your right, his goal at Killie was bang average

JimBHibees
30-07-2020, 06:43 PM
Mallan is an excellent footballer. Many people just don’t take to him as he’s not especially strong in the tackle. But his passing ability is top drawer.

Agree has weaknesses but has fantastic strengths in terms of technical ability in passing and goalscoring. Needs a coach to get the best out of him.

HoboHarry
30-07-2020, 06:43 PM
Put the bottle down,you've drunk enough for today.....

machibby
30-07-2020, 06:45 PM

Hearts are a league below Hallberg and Mallan

bigwheel
30-07-2020, 06:46 PM
Hearts are a league below Hallberg and Mallan

[emoji1787][emoji122][emoji122]

jacomo
30-07-2020, 06:47 PM
Ah well, the vast majority of people on here must be wrong about him then, thanks for clearing that up. :greengrin

It’s a fair point. Folk took to Docherty because he started strongly and looked like what we had been missing. But he also had some poor games.

I’d be happy to have him back, but he’s not the messiah.

madhatter
30-07-2020, 06:49 PM
Your right, his goal at Killie was bang average

I'm not a professional footballer but I can assure you I have scored 10+ goals of equal or better quality in my lifetime.

Consistency is important. Surely by this logic Malonga shouldn't have got it tight from some sections of the support? He scored more than a few great goals but people still thought he was average.

Apart from running a lot and a couple of goals why do we think Docherty is brilliant? On my viewing of Mallan, Docherty and Hallberg...Mallan is probably the best of the 3. I've been critical of him but he scores a lot of goals from midfield and best range of passing. Most of the goals he scores are of the type that only he could score (out of players at Hibs).

This reminds me of McNulty after his first loan - "please get him back"...followed by "ah...he isn't actually that good".

Ray_
30-07-2020, 06:50 PM
It’s a fair point. Folk took to Docherty because he started strongly and looked like what we had been missing. But he also had some poor games.

I've seen some of the players who have been written off by some people on here, I'm happy enough to trust my own judgement.

The Modfather
30-07-2020, 06:55 PM

Docherty should also be given the leeway that the likes of Hallberg & the defence are given for the imbalance of the team/midfield around him IMO.

He’s still raw, but I think he has all the tools to grow into as close to a direct replacement for McGinn as we can afford IMO. Really hope we can get him back, even if just on loan.

Bostonhibby
30-07-2020, 06:57 PM
He’s not in poor form, he’s a piss poor goalkeeper and always has been. Makes mistakes most weeks and howlers far too often. He was fine at Sunderland because of how bad they were, he made a few decent saves but could tell back then how erratic he was.It's pretty hard to find an engerlund fan down here who rates pickford. Best keeper this season's probably been Henderson at Sheffield United.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

neil7908
30-07-2020, 07:03 PM

He reminds me of Jorginho at Chelsea. Not necessarily in their style but they are players that seem to be hard to fit into a team. I think he's a very good player but is he good enough to build a team round? Who do you leave out? Does he fit the managers style?

JimBHibees
30-07-2020, 07:07 PM
Docherty should also be given the leeway that the likes of Hallberg & the defence are given for the imbalance of the team/midfield around him IMO.

He’s still raw, but I think he has all the tools to grow into as close to a direct replacement for McGinn as we can afford IMO. Really hope we can get him back, even if just on loan.

Honestly think if we get him for the season he will be our standout and best player.

04Sauzee
30-07-2020, 07:46 PM
Killie sign GK from Sheffield Utd on loan

Our new boy has come from the Blades ⚔️

Welcome to Killie, @jeastwood_96

Brightside
30-07-2020, 07:52 PM
He reminds me of Jorginho at Chelsea. Not necessarily in their style but they are players that seem to be hard to fit into a team. I think he's a very good player but is he good enough to build a team round? Who do you leave out? Does he fit the managers style?

A midfield 3 with him and Allan at the front Gogic at the base.

CockneyRebel
30-07-2020, 07:53 PM
Put the bottle down,you've drunk enough for today.....

Opinions eh? I think he's overrated but if he comes to us I hope I eat my words.

CockneyRebel
30-07-2020, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=HoboHarry;6250897] Put the bottle down,you've drunk enough for today....

Opinions eh? I think he's overrated but if he comes to us I genuinely hope I eat my words.

HoboHarry
30-07-2020, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=HoboHarry;6250897] Put the bottle down,you've drunk enough for today....

Opinions eh? I think he's overrated but if he comes to us I genuinely hope I eat my words.
Well you posted that twice so there's some spare words you can eat right there :greengrin

MagicSwirlingShip
30-07-2020, 08:24 PM
Apart from running a lot and a couple of goals why do we think Docherty is brilliant? On my viewing of Mallan, Docherty and Hallberg...Mallan is probably the best of the 3. I've been critical of him but he scores a lot of goals from midfield and best range of passing. Most of the goals he scores are of the type that only he could score (out of players at Hibs).

This reminds me of McNulty after his first loan - "please get him back"...followed by "ah...he isn't actually that good".

He's a more all action midfielder than Mallan for sure. Hibs fans have been craving a Mcginn style midfielder and Doherty seems of a similar ilk.

I was fully onboard with the Greg Doherty hype train until the Derby at Easter Road in March, but his performance that night was really dissapointing. Not the only one that night though.

I think we seen more than enough of him during his loan spell to see there's a player in there.

one day maybe...
30-07-2020, 10:20 PM
Jordan Jones told he is surplus to requirements at castle greyskull

04Sauzee
30-07-2020, 10:29 PM
EXCLUSIVE! Jordan Jones set for Rangers exit as Steven Gerrard delivers crushing message to outcast winger | @ScottBurns75

https://t.co/RLrG8DC2Qp https://t.co/wqNJ5ul7SW

If we didn't have Boyle, Wright and Horgan he'd be a very good signing for Hibs, bit of a horrible prick but a decent footballer

04Sauzee
30-07-2020, 10:31 PM
EXCLUSIVE! Ryan Edmondson targeted for Aberdeen loan as Derek McInnes eyes deal for Leeds United striker | @ScottBurns75

https://t.co/U6NVqdughW https://t.co/kRDzBhKcxv

Scott Allan Key
31-07-2020, 12:40 AM
I thought they seemed a bit dodgy tbh.Murdering journalists is more than a bit dodgy. Newcastle fans deserve a lot better than Ashley or the Saudi Royals.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

neil7908
31-07-2020, 06:47 AM
A midfield 3 with him and Allan at the front Gogic at the base.

So only one midfielder that can tackle or run? We'll get slaughtered in most games.

We're putting an awful lot on Gogic here as well. A bit worried about the hype around him.

Alex Trager
31-07-2020, 07:05 AM
So only one midfielder that can tackle or run? We'll get slaughtered in most games.

We're putting an awful lot on Gogic here as well. A bit worried about the hype around him.

I agree here. I worry with Gogic being the only one that can really put in a tackle. I am not concerned about his ability but more him being missing through suspension or injury.

Brightside
31-07-2020, 07:06 AM
I agree here. I worry with Gogic being the only one that can really put in a tackle. I am not concerned about his ability but more him being missing through suspension or injury.

That’s one more than we’ve had for a while. 😂

Souter96Mac
31-07-2020, 07:35 AM

Would take him at Hibs

CockneyRebel
31-07-2020, 07:42 AM
[QUOTE=gloryhunter;6250981]
Well you posted that twice so there's some spare words you can eat right there :greengrin

Wow - astounded by your wit. I can't compete with that. Glad you're back to school soon.

Nicho87
31-07-2020, 07:56 AM
If we could get docherty back that would be a real coup. Personally even seeing Mallan against a second string Celtic team apart from nitcham. He isn’t effective enough or dictates the play. Handy squad player but not a first team pick in my opinion currently. Centre mid starters are Gogic/Newell/Allan

hibsbollah
31-07-2020, 07:56 AM
It's pretty hard to find an engerlund fan down here who rates pickford. Best keeper this season's probably been Henderson at Sheffield United.

...who has also made some high profile mistakes. I’d say it hasn’t been a vintage season for keepers, and the Covid break has obviously affected some of them mentally more than others. I’d say Kaspar Schmeical (sp?) has been consistent and underrated possibly because of who is dad is.

easty
31-07-2020, 07:59 AM
...who has also made some high profile mistakes. I’d say it hasn’t been a vintage season for keepers, and the Covid break has obviously affected some of them mentally more than others. I’d say Kaspar Schmeical (sp?) has been consistent and underrated possibly because of who is dad is.

Yet on the last day of the season Schmeichal made a bigger howler than any the rest of them probably have all season.

Bostonhibby
31-07-2020, 08:02 AM

He's been a very consistent keeper and one I like for sure though, as seems to go with the territory, he's dropped a few clangers recently.

I do think that it's become harder to be the perfect keeper these days as the ball seems lighter and faster and moves around a lot more.

Mind you I'm comparing it with the old leather ball that laced up and doubled in weight when it rained[emoji3]

nellio
31-07-2020, 08:19 AM
Jordan Jones available from the Huns.

I'd like to see him here, think he would be a great signing. Would cost money though which we probably dont have.

Greenbeard
31-07-2020, 08:22 AM
Would take him at Hibs
Aye but is there room for him on the pay roll just now? If Boyle goes JJ would be as able a replacement as you could hope for, albeit on the left instead of the right. But Wright's right.

Greenbeard
31-07-2020, 08:25 AM
Sheep on the urgent hunt for a striker with both Cosgrove and now Main out. Has Kamberi's boyhood dream not always to have been a sheep?

easty
31-07-2020, 08:28 AM
Sheep on the urgent hunt for a striker with both Cosgrove and now Main out. Has Kamberi's boyhood dream not always to have been a sheep?

As much as I want him gone, I don’t want him loaned out to one of our main rivals.

BlackSheep
31-07-2020, 08:31 AM
We definitely need to be looking at Jones.... if not then you just know the Sheep will get him....

Greenbeard
31-07-2020, 08:39 AM
As much as I want him gone, I don’t want him loaned out to one of our main rivals.
Sold please not loaned. Wouldn't worry me at all facing him. He can stepover all match long and run about with his wee diddy steps, tripping over his own feet and with the ball bouncing of his shins for any club Hibs play against. Our defence will know how to handle him and how to wind him up.

hibbysam
31-07-2020, 08:53 AM
Aye but is there room for him on the pay roll just now? If Boyle goes JJ would be as able a replacement as you could hope for, albeit on the left instead of the right. But Wright's right.

Not sure he would cost all that much. Signed for them for nothing (I think) and doubt he’d be on a lot of money as he wanted to sign for them. He’ll have to take a drop regardless of where he goes. Very good player and a position we haven’t had too quality in for a while (left wing). Far quicker and more direct than Horgan. Wright may prove to be that player, must admit to not seeing much of him previously.

Alex Trager
31-07-2020, 09:12 AM
That’s one more than we’ve had for a while. [emoji23]

Indeed it is!

04Sauzee
31-07-2020, 09:20 AM
We definitely need to be looking at Jones.... if not then you just know the Sheep will get him....

Aberdeen have said its one out and one in fro them. They have said they won't pay a fee for any players.

I can see JJ ending up at Hearts

easty
31-07-2020, 09:23 AM
Sold please not loaned. Wouldn't worry me at all facing him. He can stepover all match long and run about with his wee diddy steps, tripping over his own feet and with the ball bouncing of his shins for any club Hibs play against. Our defence will know how to handle him and how to wind him up.

Yeah, I agree, that was sort of my point too. Aberdeen aren't going to buy him, no chance, if they wanted him it'd be on loan.

Hibee Mac
31-07-2020, 09:25 AM
I'd be keen to offer Jones a deal, I think we need a starter on the left wing, Horgan is only good enough for a bench spot.

Jones might also allow us to genuinely think of playing 4-3-3 with a from three of:

Jones.........Nisbet or Doidge..........Boyle or Wright

That could be quite exciting

Heisenberg
31-07-2020, 09:33 AM
Aberdeen are signing some kid on loan from Leeds to play upfront.

Brummie_Hibs
31-07-2020, 09:34 AM
Every single last penny we have spare needs to be spent on our defense.

Northernhibee
31-07-2020, 09:36 AM
Aberdeen are signing some kid on loan from Leeds to play upfront.

Ryan Edmonson is an absolute beast on FM20, scored 29 in one season for my Hibs team. Hope it’s another Mark Kerr....

Ozyhibby
31-07-2020, 09:50 AM
Every single last penny we have spare needs to be spent on our defense.

Agree. It was a major problem last season. Lot of hope that Gogic can help there but still think full backs need replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cod Boy
31-07-2020, 10:18 AM

Boyce from hearts

Hibs90
31-07-2020, 10:21 AM
Any rumours on potential defensive incomings? Or we just waiting on James, Kamberi etc to disappear first?

The Modfather
31-07-2020, 10:27 AM
Agree. It was a major problem last season. Lot of hope that Gogic can help there but still think full backs need replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s hoping Doig is the replacement on the left. He would have his ups and downs like all youngsters do but think we’d all accept that if he is the long term answer.

Franck Stanton
31-07-2020, 11:19 AM
Jones would be a great addition to our team imo natural left sided winger be a fantastic signing. Hope it happens.

bigwheel
31-07-2020, 11:38 AM
Jones would be a great addition to our team imo natural left sided winger be a fantastic signing. Hope it happens.

Isn’t that the role Wright has been brought in for ? Also Newell can play there too..can’t see him being on our radar ..wouldn’t mind though

badabing67
31-07-2020, 12:20 PM
Jordan Jones available from the Huns.

I'd like to see him here, think he would be a great signing. Would cost money though which we probably dont have.

A starter for Killie tomorrow anyone, they have a good record for getting old boys back. If he is away I imagine Barker will be away to

BlackSheep
31-07-2020, 01:51 PM
Aberdeen sign Ryan Edmonson on loan til Jan

Played 2 matches for Leeds, scored none.

jeffers
31-07-2020, 01:57 PM
I don't expect us to bring any more players in until we move some on e.g. Kamberi, James and I suspect Martin Boyle too.

Dunbar Hibee
31-07-2020, 02:01 PM
Jordan Jones has a number of English Championship clubs after him. He won’t be signing for us, Aberdeen or Hearts!

brog
31-07-2020, 02:02 PM
The Rangers have a fantastic record for taking what look like very good acquisitions & turning them into very ordinary players. I'm particularly thinking of Scottish based players. Off the top of my head I can think of Greg Docherty, Jordan Jones, Greg Stewart, Jake Hastie and Michael O'Halloran who were all touted on here as being good signings for us. The only unqualified success I would say has been Ryan Jack as Kamara also fell away at end of last season. FWIW I still think the majority of those quoted would do a good job for us but why did they fail at Ibrox? Is it all down to lack of opportunity?

BlackSheep
31-07-2020, 02:10 PM
The Rangers have a fantastic record for taking what look like very good acquisitions & turning them into very ordinary players. I'm particularly thinking of Scottish based players. Off the top of my head I can think of Greg Docherty, Jordan Jones, Greg Stewart, Jake Hastie and Michael O'Halloran who were all touted on here as being good signings for us. The only unqualified success I would say has been Ryan Jack as Kamara also fell away at end of last season. FWIW I still think the majority of those quoted would do a good job for us but why did they fail at Ibrox? Is it all down to lack of opportunity?

Simply put yes.... not enough game time, and face fitting probably played its part too.

hfc rd
31-07-2020, 02:17 PM
Jordan Jones has a number of English Championship clubs after him. He won’t be signing for us, Aberdeen or Hearts!

I thought when a big, famous club like Hearts comes in for you, it’s hard for any player to turn them down?

Oscar T Grouch
31-07-2020, 02:19 PM
The huns have told JJ he is not in their plans but they won’t be letting him go for free. He will end up down south in the championship. His contract is until summer 2023. No one in Scotland will pay for him.

SouthMoroccoStu
31-07-2020, 02:19 PM

It's their specialty! Take great players from other teams because they can and they pose a threat to them

I'm "only" 35 and they've done it all my life!

One of the other main reasons to hate them! Not that we need many reasons!

Is it just me or do Celtic never seem as bad at that?

Not saying they've never taken another teams player and benched them - Riordan and Griffiths spring to mind, but I feel players get more of a chance there.

brog
31-07-2020, 02:27 PM
It's their specialty! Take great players from other teams because they can and they pose a threat to them

Not saying they've never taken another teams player and benched them - Riordan and Griffiths spring to mind, but I feel players get more of a chance there.

I think Celtc are just as bad at poaching players, they've probably just had more success. Jack Hendry was a shocker though & Greg Taylor only playing because of injuries.

04Sauzee
31-07-2020, 02:27 PM
Ryan Edmondson has signed for Aberdeen on loan from Leeds until Jan

supermcginn
31-07-2020, 02:29 PM

Celtic are just as bad. Scott Allan?

Heisenberg
31-07-2020, 02:29 PM
Ryan Edmondson has signed on loan from Leeds until Jan

For Aberdeen.

badabing67
31-07-2020, 02:34 PM

When Rangers collapsed in 2012 the biggest threat to Celtic in league was Dundee Utd. Celtic took 3 of ther best players Flood, Armstrong and GMS and had interest in Conway. They absolutely hammered Utd leaving Aberdeen as there main rival in the league. Dundee Utd have just recovered. So yeah they (OF)have a duopoly and pick the rest apart. It's a proven formula for success in this league leaving 2 contenders. Always. Sad but true. Just keep weakening the opposition. No wonder it is hard to attract interest and descent TV deals.

easty
31-07-2020, 02:34 PM

Celtc have had their fair share of buying up and wasting the talent at other scottish clubs. Scott Allan, Mulumbu, Mackay-Steven, Zaluska, Jack Hendry, Ciftci, Killen, Johnny Hayes, Lewis Morgan.

04Sauzee
31-07-2020, 02:47 PM
For Aberdeen.

Dam I did it again sorry for Aberdeen, I'll go back and edit sorry 😁

MWHIBBIES
31-07-2020, 02:56 PM

Griffiths has played over 230 games for Celtic. Definitely cant blame them for him being benched. The blame for that lies firmly at his door.

Monts
31-07-2020, 03:43 PM
Lille just came into a lot of cash, and need a striker.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/53609226

Looks like the rangers could see a chunk of that coming their way.

Speedway
31-07-2020, 03:45 PM
https://twitter.com/HibsCentral/status/1288800823812726786

https://twitter.com/Fans1995Hibee/status/1288238094181904385

From the last couple of days.

Spike Mandela
31-07-2020, 04:06 PM
Lille just came into a lot of cash, and need a striker.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/53609226

Looks like the rangers could see a chunk of that coming their way.

...or maybe now Lille can get better

CapitalGreen
31-07-2020, 04:12 PM

2 excellent sources 😂

tamig
31-07-2020, 04:24 PM
Aberdeen sign Ryan Edmonson on loan til Jan

Played 2 matches for Leeds, scored none.

Assuming he’s 6ft 10 or something?

Tambo
31-07-2020, 04:25 PM
Like many have said, defence is number 1 priority.

MWHIBBIES
31-07-2020, 04:28 PM
Like many have said, defence is number 1 priority.

Ross must not think so because the 3 signings so far aren't defenders.

ahibby
31-07-2020, 04:29 PM
Assuming he’s 6ft 10 or something?

I was watching avatar last night and got an idea too.

Inconsequential
31-07-2020, 04:33 PM
Ross must not think so because the 3 signings so far aren't defenders.But... but... but I read it on here the defense is poor. What exactly are you trying to say? :wink:

Brummie_Hibs
31-07-2020, 04:34 PM
And he will live to regret it.

My old man
31-07-2020, 04:37 PM

To be fair the huns are only 8 years old as the cheats died 2012

but honestly smeltic and the dead huns have always done it
GGTTH

hfc rd
31-07-2020, 04:39 PM

We had the 4th worst defensive record in the league last season. Only the bottom 3 sides - Ross County, Hamilton & Hearts conceded more than we did.

MWHIBBIES
31-07-2020, 04:41 PM
We had the 4th worst defensive record in the league last season. Only the bottom 3 sides - Ross County, Hamilton & Hearts conceded more than we did.

Yes, but defending is the job of 11 players and a coaching staff. Signing 4 new defenders solves nothing.

Chip shop Joe
31-07-2020, 04:44 PM
Yes, but defending is the job of 11 players and a coaching staff. Signing 4 new defenders solves nothing.

It does if it is the Liverpool back 4!

Brummie_Hibs
31-07-2020, 04:49 PM
Nobody is saying sign 4 new defenders, but Hanlon, Stevenson, McGregor and Gray are past it for a team with ambition, throw in a constantly injured Porto and a 'jury is still out' Jackson, then we are a bit screwed.

Gogic may 'protect' the back 4, but be ain't omni-present, and teams will soon work out how to bypass him.

Spike Mandela
31-07-2020, 04:50 PM

What would be better......

- Liverpool back 4 with Hibs forward 6 OR

- Hibs back 4 with Liverpool’s forward 6.

.???????

Northernhibee
31-07-2020, 04:54 PM
And he will live to regret it.

Let's sack him now. Means we don't have to go through with the tedious bit of polls on here after every single game about whether or not a manager should go. Sack the one after that too.

The big problem we had with the defence last season was the total lack of cover or help from the midfield. Central defenders exposed, full backs often having to deal with two opposition players. Wright and Gogic could well help a lot with that.

Would like another wide player who tracks back well and another DM in place too, but don't think the back line needs major surgery.

truehibernian
31-07-2020, 04:57 PM
We certainly need a new left back and a new centre half. Would even be tempted to move Paul Hanlon into defensive midfield.

We concede too many goals from the wide area, and our concentration in the last 10 of games is poor.

HoboHarry
31-07-2020, 04:58 PM
The Liverpool back 4 are outstanding but they would be less so without the defensive work done by Salah, Sane, Firmino etc etc.

Northernhibee
31-07-2020, 05:03 PM
We certainly need a new left back and a new centre half. Would even be tempted to move Paul Hanlon into defensive midfield.

We concede too many goals from the wide area, and our concentration in the last 10 of games is poor.

One million times no re: Paul Hanlon, Lennon tried to shoehorn him into midfield a few times and it didn't work.

No more players out of their natural position, let's make sure we have a couple of options at defensive mid, even if it's getting someone up from the reserves to cover certain areas.

Inconsequential
31-07-2020, 05:10 PM
Let's sack him now. Means we don't have to go through with the tedious bit of polls on here after every single game about whether or not a manager should go. Sack the one after that too.

The big problem we had with the defence last season was the total lack of cover or help from the midfield. Central defenders exposed, full backs often having to deal with two opposition players. Wright and Gogic could well help a lot with that.

Would like another wide player who tracks back well and another DM in place too, but don't think the back line needs major surgery. Good points. I think having Marciano in goals doesn't help the defense either. He doesn't command his box, stays rooted to his line when balls into the box are clearly his. This makes the defense uncertain as there is no understanding between defense and keeper. He brings off some very good saves though but is that enough? I always thought Bogdan was a better all round keeper. But alas he's gone. The defense was never settled last season with a few missing with long term injuries. Let's see how they perform before all are written off.

MWHIBBIES
31-07-2020, 05:11 PM
Nobody is saying sign 4 new defenders, but Hanlon, Stevenson, McGregor and Gray are past it for a team with ambition, throw in a constantly injured Porto and a 'jury is still out' Jackson, then we are a bit screwed.

Gogic may 'protect' the back 4, but be ain't omni-present, and teams will soon work out how to bypass him.

Hanlon is far from past it.

Porteous has had, what, 2 bad injuries? That isn't him constantly injured. Jury isn't out for me with Jackson, good player who will improve.

Its up to the coach to get the best from them and the team to defend properly as 11.

Hibiza
31-07-2020, 05:14 PM
Good points. I think having Marciano in goals doesn't help the defense either. He doesn't command his box, stays rooted to his line when balls into the box are clearly his. This makes the defense uncertain as there is no understanding between defense and keeper. He brings off some very good saves though but is that enough? I always thought Bogdan was a better all round keeper. But alas he's gone. The defense was never settled last season with a few missing with long term injuries. Let's see how they perform before all are written off.oo

Hibiza
31-07-2020, 05:15 PM
oo

Marciano a near post nightmare.

Brummie_Hibs
31-07-2020, 05:41 PM
Hanlon is far from past it.
Well his peak past me by...

Porteous has had, what, 2 bad injuries? That isn't him constantly injured.
For a young player, who believe me or not, I have been ranting about as a future Scotland captain, to be out the game so much with the same bad injury, makes me a bit concerned. Does anybody even know if he is fully recovered or not? Saturday`s team selection will be telling.

Jury isn't out for me with Jackson, good player who will improve.<
I hoped the future of our defense was going to be Porto and Jackson. Not sure now.

Its up to the coach to get the best from them and the team to defend properly as 11.
Yup. I will defer you to NorthernHibees response.

supermcginn
31-07-2020, 05:50 PM

Spot on.

The Modfather
31-07-2020, 05:55 PM

Would like another wide player who tracks back well and another DM in place too, but don't think the back line needs major surgery.

While I agree with all that you say, I think the defence themselves also played a big part in how poor we were defensively as well as them having a lot of mitigation in what was in front of them. I’d struggle to make a case for any of our defenders getting individual pass marks for the season last season.

I would like a new CB signed to compliment Porteous and with a view to getting his progression back on track. However I think we can get by with Porteous, Hanlon, Jackson & McGregor, especially with our budget in these times. The fullbacks are our weakest area IMO, particularly LB. They simply weren’t anywhere near good enough at stopping crosses last season. They weren’t always 2 v 1 and more often than not tucked in and let a free cross come in. Hopefully Doig is our answer at LB but despite the bodies we have at RB we need a massive upgrade their otherwise the fullbacks areas in particular could stop us from finishing 3rd or 4th IMO.

Stuart93
31-07-2020, 05:56 PM

We’ve literally just brought in a defensive midfielder? Why would we move our centre half into defensive midfield?

PH91
31-07-2020, 06:11 PM

Its widely accepted gray and mcgregor are squad players now but i have a feeling mcgregor has a larger role to play this season than most think.

Stevenson needs gradually phased out but still has plenty to offer as our first choice left back whilst doig learns his trade. He was not as bad defensively last season as some are making out.

Hanlon is nowhere near past it. Some don't seem to like his style and he definitely had a sustained dip in form but he was back to putting in regular good performances before the season was called.

You are right about gogic. I've seen people suggest a midfield 3 of him, mallan and allan!! Regardless of how good he turns out to be he cant do it on his own and needs someone else in there who can defend. Newell is who i would play tomorrow but i would still like another to come in, preferably docherty. If that means moving hallberg on then so be it.

Inconsequential
31-07-2020, 06:34 PM
We’ve literally just brought in a defensive midfielder? Why would we move our centre half into defensive midfield? Well Hamilton did it with Gogic! Hibs new defensive midfielder. Matty Jack was a centre half too who became the very best at the Matty Jack role in midfield. Spike Milligan the Aussie from last season played centre half for his country. It ain't unusual.

truehibernian
31-07-2020, 06:46 PM
We’ve literally just brought in a defensive midfielder? Why would we move our centre half into defensive midfield?

Because at the top level he is the weak link in there in my opinion - but still a good footballer

The 90+2
31-07-2020, 06:48 PM
Well Hamilton did it with Gogic! Hibs new defensive midfielder. Matty Jack was a centre half too who became the very best at the Matty Jack role in midfield. Spike Milligan the Aussie from last season played centre half for his country. It ain't unusual.

Gogic looks hard as nails as was Marty Jack and Sol Bamba. Hanlon gets bullied at CH.

badabing67
31-07-2020, 06:55 PM

If can get him and Omeonga on perms I will be well pleased.

badabing67
31-07-2020, 06:58 PM

They still need protecting from the mid

Hibby Kay-Yay
31-07-2020, 07:12 PM
Current Defence

GK - Rocky, Dabrowski
RB - SDG, Paul McGinn, Tom James
CH - Daz, Hanlon, Porteous, Jackson
LB - Lewis, Doig, Mackie?

That’s a lot of players (regardless of their quality). If we’re adding to this defence then it needs to be on a one out one in basis. IMO

CapitalGreen
31-07-2020, 07:13 PM

What is the relevance of signings which have already happened to what our current no 1 priority is? A striker, winger and defensive midfielder may have been our no 1 priorities previously but those players are signed now so unlikely any of those positions are still our no 1 priority, no?

Brightside
31-07-2020, 07:27 PM
Spot on.

Its a load of poppycock.

04Sauzee
31-07-2020, 07:43 PM
Tommy Hoban joins Aberdeen on a short term deal.

Sticking rigidly to the 1 in 1 out policy

inglisavhibs
31-07-2020, 07:46 PM
While I agree with all that you say, I think the defence themselves also played a big part in how poor we were defensively as well as them having a lot of mitigation in what was in front of them. I’d struggle to make a case for any of our defenders getting individual pass marks for the season last season.

I would like a new CB signed to compliment Porteous and with a view to getting his progression back on track. However I think we can get by with Porteous, Hanlon, Jackson & McGregor, especially with our budget in these times. The fullbacks are our weakest area IMO, particularly LB. They simply weren’t anywhere near good enough at stopping crosses last season. They weren’t always 2 v 1 and more often than not tucked in and let a free cross come in. Hopefully Doig is our answer at LB but despite the bodies we have at RB we need a massive upgrade their otherwise the fullbacks areas in particular could stop us from finishing 3rd or 4th IMO.
Of our midfield players last season Mallan, Allan, Docherty, Slivka and Horgan could not track midfield runners which is one of the reasons our defence looked so poor. It’s the area we have to improve most if we are to get more consistent results. We also failed too many times on one to one’s allowing crosses in to our area as you say. We don’t have as many problems on the ball as we have off it, and simply have to defend better from the front.

hfc rd
31-07-2020, 07:52 PM
Current Defence

GK - Rocky, Dabrowski

That’s a lot of players (regardless of their quality). If we’re adding to this defence then it needs to be on a one out one in basis. IMO

James is as good as gone and I personally can’t see Mackie being here.

Can both Gray & McGregor stay fit for majority of the campaign?

supermcginn
31-07-2020, 07:53 PM
Its a load of poppycock.

All about opinions. I think you talk a lot of guff about Hanlon.

Brightside
31-07-2020, 08:04 PM
All about opinions. I think you talk a lot of guff about Hanlon.

Well you talk a lot of guff about everything on here. The reason our defence was statistically poor last season is that statistically they had much more to deal with than the previous season. That was due to our team defending poorly. Not our defenders defending poorly. Hanlon didn't have his greatest start but he was still was in the Top 5 defenders in the league for interceptions, he is also constantly in the Top 5 defenders for creating attacking chances. Thats evidence not opinion. If you think Hanlon is rubbish, or past it thats purely down to you knowing nothing about football. :thumbsup:

JammyDoidger
31-07-2020, 08:17 PM
Well you talk a lot of guff about everything on here. The reason our defence was statistically poor last season is that statistically they had much more to deal with than the previous season. That was due to our team defending poorly. Not our defenders defending poorly. Hanlon didn't have his greatest start but he was still was in the Top 5 defenders in the league for interceptions, he is also constantly in the Top 5 defenders for creating attacking chances. Thats evidence not opinion. If you think Hanlon is rubbish, or past it thats purely down to you knowing nothing about football. :thumbsup:

He's not rubbish, as a footballer he's much better than Darren Mcgregor say. But I'd take big daz over Hanlon any day. From a captain and a centre half you want a bit aggression and bit fight. Hanlon shows none of that. Easily bullied.

S4uzee
31-07-2020, 08:31 PM
He's not rubbish, as a footballer he's much better than Darren Mcgregor say. But I'd take big daz over Hanlon any day. From a captain and a centre half you want a bit aggression and bit fight. Hanlon shows none of that. Easily bullied.

Agreed. Hanlon technically better but not essential for a CB. Daz much better 1v1

04Sauzee
31-07-2020, 08:43 PM
Going by the press conference it doesn't sound like we should expect anyone in soon. Even with Kamberi going out we aren't expecting to use his transfer fee / salary on another player

Brightside
31-07-2020, 08:45 PM

I’d rather have a footballer. It’s not the 70s anymore.

Hibiza
31-07-2020, 08:50 PM
Current Defence

GK - Rocky, Dabrowski

Only one I'd take would be Doig & porto