PDA

View Full Version : NHC Questions about the EPL trying to restart their season

G B Young
19-05-2020, 07:58 AM
I've not really paid a lot of attention to this so apologies if it has all been answered, but is it just accepted that they could restart their season well after it was officially due to finish? What about issues like player contracts coming to an end? Are the huge number of foreign players in the English top flight all in the UK at present?

Looking at more specific health issues, how about players/staff who may have underlying conditions being expected to take part when we're still in such a precarious situation regarding Covid-19? Roy Hodgson for example is in his 70s and in the highest risk category. I also read an interview with Darren Fletcher who, while he's not got a club, said he wouldn't be able to play in the current climate due to his medical condition.

Onceinawhile
19-05-2020, 08:00 AM
Troy deeney has said he isn't going back for the time being.

I'm paraphrasing, but he basically said, I can't get my hair cut until July, but I can go for a header with 19 people?

He also expressed concerns about the higher bame mortality rate and what the epl was doing to protect its players. Said he got no answers, so he's staying home as family is more important to him than cash.

G B Young
19-05-2020, 08:06 AM

I'm paraphrasing, but he basically said, I can't get my hair cut until July, but I can go for a header with 19 people?

He also expressed concerns about the higher bame mortality rate and what the epl was doing to protect its players. Said he got no answers, so he's staying home as family is more important to him than cash.

That's interesting. So is the implication that there's money to be made and the EPL are keen to exploit that opportunity even if players and staff may be worried about the health risks?

jacomo
19-05-2020, 08:24 AM
Frankly, Watford haven’t got a hope of getting out of relegation trouble unless Troy Deeney plays.

So what does that say about sporting integrity?

Callum_62
19-05-2020, 08:31 AM
Frankly, Watford haven’t got a hope of getting out of relegation trouble unless Troy Deeney plays.

So what does that say about sporting integrity? JJHe should be a hero.

[emoji849]

Its a valid point about haircuts though. Same with subs wearing masks in germany.....

Its all seems a bit of a mish mash of random things to give the appearance of 'safety'

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Stairway 2 7
19-05-2020, 10:45 AM
He should be a hero.

[emoji849]

Its a valid point about haircuts though. Same with subs wearing masks in germany.....

Its all seems a bit of a mish mash of random things to give the appearance of 'safety'

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Not really unless the hairdresser is getting tested twice a week and is isolated at home apart from seeing you, like the players are

Zazu62
19-05-2020, 11:45 AM
They should just call the bloody league make Liverpool champions. Not sure what they would do about relegation etc.

Future17
19-05-2020, 12:17 PM
They should just call the bloody league make Liverpool champions. Not sure what they would do about relegation etc.

They should just do the decent thing and relegate Hearts.

Bristolhibby
19-05-2020, 12:36 PM

Same as here. Norwich and Villa down. No playoff as the Championship is done. Bournemouth survive.

Or, get Bournemouth launched and Fulham can come up as third place in the Championship.

J

calumhibee1
19-05-2020, 12:40 PM

A move I can get behind :agree:

MWHIBBIES
19-05-2020, 12:42 PM
Very few players that clubs will actually miss gonna be out of contract, Ryan Fraser is one of them.

I think its good they are trying to restart. Germans showing it is possible.

hibbyfraelibby
19-05-2020, 12:54 PM
I wonder how long it is before a player, their agent or even the obsequious PFA challenge this and refer if to the Health and Safety Executive as the league and the clubs are derelict in their duty of care to their employees health, safety and welfare by exposing them to a known risk

JeMeSouviens
19-05-2020, 01:00 PM

:top marks:greengrin

Stairway 2 7
19-05-2020, 01:14 PM
I wonder how long it is before a player, their agent or even the obsequious PFA challenge this and refer if to the Health and Safety Executive as the league and the clubs are derelict in their duty of care to their employees health, safety and welfare by exposing them to a known risk

I'm sure the players will have better h and s that almost all of England that have been told to get back to work if can't work from home

Onceinawhile
19-05-2020, 01:15 PM
Very few players that clubs will actually miss gonna be out of contract, Ryan Fraser is one of them.

They've not showed its possible yet imo. Only takes one player to get the virus and it'll come tumbling down like a pack of cards.

Hopefully doesn't happen as I'm desperate to get back to the football, but you never know.

hibbyfraelibby
19-05-2020, 01:25 PM
I'm sure the players will have better h and s that almost all of England that have been told to get back to work if can't work from home

...told to get back to work has resulted in a spike in referals to the HSE in England...the only OOE that is being mandated in the EPL is shin guards!

Onceinawhile
19-05-2020, 03:11 PM
6 positive tests from the first lot of mass testing in England.

Only from three clubs. Don't know if they only tested 3 clubs, or if there was only cases at three though.

Stairway 2 7
19-05-2020, 03:24 PM
All teams tested 800 people

Hibby70
19-05-2020, 03:29 PM
Crown Liverpool champions
relegate Villa, Norwich, Bournemouth and Hearts
Villa then sell McGinn for £60m

Be happy with that.

Billy Whizz
19-05-2020, 04:11 PM
Hull sent in a private letter, asking for the season to be declared null and void, and the letter gets leaked. So it’s not just in Scotland, these sort of things go on

Hull are 2 points above the automatic drop zone!!

Think the fun and games in the English Leagues are just about to start. Let’s see how they all handle this, after having a pop at the SPFL

G B Young
19-05-2020, 04:29 PM

Bundesliga: 'Bizarre, sterile and eerie'https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52696930

Not my idea of a worthwhile return to action. Personally I think all unfinished seasons should be called rather than go to the bother of staging these sort of 'ghost' matches. They bear little relation to the real thing.

MWHIBBIES
19-05-2020, 05:26 PM
Bundesliga: 'Bizarre, sterile and eerie'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52696930

Not my idea of a worthwhile return to action. Personally I think all unfinished seasons should be called rather than go to the bother of staging these sort of 'ghost' matches. They bear little relation to the real thing.

It doesn't matter for this season.

They are still excellent football matches, just without the crowd for a month or two. We all fell in love with football playing it as kids with no crowd.

JeMeSouviens
19-05-2020, 05:28 PM

They are still excellent football matches, just without the crowd for a month or two. We all fell in love with football playing it as kids with no crowd.

:agree:

I get that the lack of atmosphere is a bit weird but it's still the beautiful game.

greenpaper55
19-05-2020, 05:31 PM

I get that the lack of atmosphere is a bit weird but it's still the beautiful game.

Like Hibs V Third lanark in 1962 !

G B Young
19-05-2020, 05:34 PM
Sky reporting six positive Covid-19 tests across three EPL clubs.

B.H.F.C
19-05-2020, 06:32 PM

Not ideal, but the Munich game was a decent watch on Sunday. The games will get better over the next couple of weeks ago. It’s better than watching Homes Under The Hammer or something like that.

Quite a few leagues returning over the next fortnight or so. Denmark, Poland, Austria, Czech Republic, Croatia and Slovakia off the top of my head.

Football can’t just stop until coronavirus is completely gone.

Sir David Gray
19-05-2020, 07:06 PM

I saw that earlier, does the last part of your post mean he's not getting paid?

G B Young
19-05-2020, 07:30 PM

Fair point. I guess it also depends how into football you are. Personally I couldn't tell you when I last watched a match which didn't involve Hibs and I might even think twice about watching them playing a closed doors match on TV.

Sylar
19-05-2020, 07:39 PM
Not ideal, but the Munich game was a decent watch on Sunday. The games will get better over the next couple of weeks ago. It’s better than watching Homes Under The Hammer or something like that.

Quite a few leagues returning over the next fortnight or so. Denmark, Poland, Austria, Czech Republic, Croatia and Slovakia off the top of my head.

Football can’t just stop until coronavirus is completely gone.

I agree, but there's an increasing number of people (on here and in the wider community) who are so ****-scared of this virus, they'd have the entire planet locked down until we can be guaranteed its gone for good.

I assume those tested positive haven't been in contact with their teammates, so it shouldn't derail the restart of the EPL?

supermcginn
19-05-2020, 07:47 PM

Exactly, most of the matches were of a high standard and there's some cracking fixtures coming up at the weekend and Dortmund v munich a week tonight.

Sir David Gray
28-05-2020, 02:25 PM
First fixtures 17th June, just confirmed.

SChibs
28-05-2020, 02:27 PM
Surely behind closed doors games to finish the season is better than no games at all?

Hibeesmad
28-05-2020, 02:36 PM
Arteta returning to the Etihad to kick it off. Looking forward to it.

Hibeesmad
28-05-2020, 02:43 PM
Looking likely that Liverpool will play Everton on the weekend of June 20th. If Arsenal beat City, Liverpool could win the league against Everton.

supermcginn
28-05-2020, 02:51 PM
Excellent. Love the EPL

Scouse Hibee
28-05-2020, 10:32 PM
Looking likely that Liverpool will play Everton on the weekend of June 20th. If Arsenal beat City, Liverpool could win the league against Everton.

The Merseyside Derby may well be played at a neutral venue.

Danderhall Hibs
28-05-2020, 10:37 PM

It always is - they all hold hands and that while the games being played don’t they? 😉

RyeSloan
29-05-2020, 07:38 AM

They could save themselves the bother and just give Liverpool the three points [emoji6]

Hibeesmad
29-05-2020, 12:36 PM
Man City v Liverpool
Everton v Liverpool
Newcastle v Liverpool
Man Utd v Sheffield United
Man City v Newcastle
The game that Liverpool can clinch the title, will all be played at neutral grounds

Scouse Hibee
29-05-2020, 12:53 PM
All provisional just now with no actual venues decided. Hopefully it all does go ahead as planned.

Sir David Gray
29-05-2020, 01:20 PM
Man City v Liverpool
Everton v Liverpool
Newcastle v Liverpool
Man Utd v Sheffield United
Man City v Newcastle
The game that Liverpool can clinch the title, will all be played at neutral grounds

Those pesky Scousers just can't be trusted to behave themselves eh? Obviously the best solution is to void their remaining matches.

Scouse Hibee
29-05-2020, 01:38 PM
Those pesky Scousers just can't be trusted to behave themselves eh? Obviously the best solution is to void their remaining matches.

It’s coming pal, brace yourself 😁

Sir David Gray
29-05-2020, 01:43 PM
It’s coming pal, brace yourself 😁

Oh hiya nice of you to pop in and reply. :greengrin

I'm braced pal no worries about that!

Best team's winning it. :aok:

Scouse Hibee
29-05-2020, 01:47 PM
Oh hiya nice of you to pop in and reply. :greengrin

I'm braced pal no worries about that!

Best team's winning it. :aok:

Finally😁

Hope you’re keeping well pal and getting thorough this okay.

Sir David Gray
29-05-2020, 02:17 PM
Finally��

Hope you’re keeping well pal and getting thorough this okay.

Aye doing fine pal, glad to see there's finally been a bit of progress. Hoping to get into a local park for some exercise over the next few days.

Hope you're well.

G B Young
29-05-2020, 02:18 PM
How have they dealt with out of contract players to enable the season to restart a month after it would normally have finished?

MWHIBBIES
29-05-2020, 02:26 PM
How have they dealt with out of contract players to enable the season to restart a month after it would normally have finished?

Premier league has very few out of contract players that teams actually need.

Scouse Hibee
29-05-2020, 09:29 PM
Aye doing fine pal, glad to see there's finally been a bit of progress. Hoping to get into a local park for some exercise over the next few days.

Hope you're well.

All good here pal, enjoying the weather too.

29-05-2020, 09:58 PM
Money money money money money money

MWHIBBIES
29-05-2020, 10:02 PM
Money money money money money money

Yes, it's almost like the 20 football clubs are businesses with employees or something. Ridiculous.

30-05-2020, 02:36 AM
Yes, it's almost like the 20 football clubs are businesses with employees or something. Ridiculous.

Yes I’m sure the 20 premiership clubs are so strapped for cash they will be getting rid of people or unable to pay them unless the league starts soon.

What planet do you live on?

Marco G
30-05-2020, 05:50 AM
Yes I’m sure the 20 premiership clubs are so strapped for cash they will be getting rid of people or unable to pay them unless the league starts soon.

What planet do you live on?The poster knows that if the games are not played for tv the Premier League teams lose about a billion quid or something like that! So they would be strapped for cash if they don't play!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
30-05-2020, 08:32 AM

What planet do you live on?

They don't have unlimited money. It is very possible they would have to get rid of people if this continues a while. Same as the Germans who have already started again.

Finishing the season if possible if the right thing to do.

Keith_M
30-05-2020, 08:37 AM

Hope you're well.

All good here pal, enjoying the weather too.

You two should just get a room.

Sir David Gray
30-05-2020, 08:43 AM

Thinking about it.

Scouse Hibee
30-05-2020, 09:01 AM

We can’t, social distancing doesn’t permit it

Sir David Gray
30-05-2020, 09:27 AM

:faf:

Keith_M
30-05-2020, 09:34 AM
Thinking about it.

:greengrin

https://d2x51gyc4ptf2q.cloudfront.net/content/uploads/2016/10/half-and-half-scarf.jpg

Sir David Gray
30-05-2020, 09:51 AM

https://d2x51gyc4ptf2q.cloudfront.net/content/uploads/2016/10/half-and-half-scarf.jpg

Too far.

Scouse Hibee
30-05-2020, 09:57 AM

Nice scarf mate but not for me, always wondered what you looked like.

Billy Whizz
31-05-2020, 05:34 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52866678

Simon Jordan ripping into footballers re the comments like the attached, on Talksport

Basically saying they are having to rush it back, as the players won’t take reduced contracts