PDA

View Full Version : Castore - who?

Lendo
17-05-2020, 10:20 PM
Apologies if this has been posted already somewhere.

The company Rangers have signed up with for their strips have 17 employees and one shop in London. Not even a Wikipedia page on them.

They have never turned a profit. How the **** are they going to pull this off? Not a chance in hell they’ll be able to provide the amount of kits needed.

JohnM1875
17-05-2020, 10:21 PM
Never heard of them until Andy Murray signed with them a while back.

hibees 7062
17-05-2020, 10:22 PM
Andy Murray's sponsor

Scouse Hibee
17-05-2020, 10:27 PM

The company Rangers have signed up with for their strips have 17 employees and one shop in London. Not even a Wikipedia page on them.

They have never turned a profit. How the **** are they going to pull this off? Not a chance in hell they’ll be able to provide the amount of kits needed.

Started by a couple of scouse brothers in 2016, Andy Murray is a shareholder.

Ozyhibby
17-05-2020, 10:30 PM
Murray owns a stake in them I think but they are tiny. It’s a reflection of where Rangers are that they have had to take a chance with this tiny company.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200517/48c5f3cb265580709d7c199ce970066e.jpg

Can they deal with the volumes of kits Sevco can sell? I have my doubts. Also, is Ashley out the picture this time or will they be back in court and end up being sued by this lot as well as Hummel/Elite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devonhibs
17-05-2020, 10:31 PM
Will Sports Direct weigh in as I seem to remember they had to be allowed to match any new supplier???:confused:

Ozyhibby
17-05-2020, 10:38 PM
Interestingly, their website crashed today with all the interest. I doubt that would have happened to one of the major suppliers.

CapitalGreen
17-05-2020, 10:51 PM
What price are they going to be retailing the kits at? Castore currently have a “performance t shirt” on sale at Harrods for a cool £125.

https://www.harrods.com/en-gb/shopping/performance-t-shirt-15330995?utm_source=google_uk&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=men&utm_content=castore_15330995-76&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6Yfkt_276QIVxrTtCh3_LwmOEAQYBSAB EgL0CvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

dp00
17-05-2020, 11:41 PM
It’s interesting sponsor.... they have a very small market and essentially they have just ruled out a massive population of there customers

I’d imagine most Celtic fans for example will stay away even if they purchased before

cocteautwin
18-05-2020, 01:34 AM
Interesting.

2 Companies who probably both need to take a large amount of a risk with each other. Castore need to take on the business to realise their ambitions and Rangers need a new kit supplier who has not much of an idea how much of a sh !t show their business is.

It could work though. As long as Castore have very good manufacturing and distribution partners that's 90% of the battle. With the way modern business operates, there's no need to have hundreds of useless people in offices tapping away on keyboards.

Just_Jimmy
18-05-2020, 03:25 AM
McManus was saying on twitter the deal is worth £25million.

I've never heard of them. Obviously the knuckle draggers are lapping it up but what's the catch?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Hibs4185
18-05-2020, 04:32 AM
Has Ashley just walked away from the deal? It seemed he had them bang to rights? Have they paid him off? All a bit strange

Geo_1875
18-05-2020, 06:33 AM
Seems strange that a player in the prestigious, high performance sportswear market would want their name associated with 40,000 unwashed, sweatshop produced tee-shirts.

Renfrew_Hibby
18-05-2020, 06:36 AM
Sure I read its a £20M deal but it was only realised by Castore receiving serious cash from various investors.

This ain't gonna end well for this new company (castore) methinks. I just hope Andy was brought on board for publicity reasons only and he hasn't punted large amounts on these Scouse Del Boys.

Godsahibby
18-05-2020, 06:37 AM
Some of their stuff is quality, not cheap mind you!

Be interesting to see what their new ‘tap’ looks like.

Keith_M
18-05-2020, 07:25 AM
I'd imagine they'll be outsourcing the manufacturing to some Chinese Sweatshop, the same as most other kit manufacturers, so shouldn't be a big deal producing the new strips.

Celtc and The Rangers sell replica strips in six figures. so there's going to be decent money to be made in it.

It's not necessarily going to fail. Let's just see how it all pans out.

Brightside
18-05-2020, 07:43 AM

Hard not to know who they are when they have sponsored Andy M for last 2 years. It’s a good deal for Rangers. Something a bit different and a premium clothing brand. We aren’t talking Luke here.

malcolm
18-05-2020, 07:51 AM
Hard not to know who they are when they have sponsored Andy M for last 2 years. It’s a good deal for Rangers. Something a bit different and a premium clothing brand. We aren’t talking Luke here.

So it will be a bit like neds wearing Burberry? :greengrin

EI255
18-05-2020, 07:59 AM
They'll certainly not be making the shirts. Wonder who will? Probably same firm who make Hummel UK shirts, Slazenger etc.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

SquashedFrogg
18-05-2020, 08:08 AM

If I take The Rangers out of the equation, I quite like the idea of new sports brands being introduced into football. The back story and Andy Murray link adds to the interest.

I also know there were discussions with Hibs a wee while back but for the time being we remain with Macron.

EI255
18-05-2020, 08:15 AM
When was the last time The Rangers had a legitimate kit deal? The seem to continually attract dodgy kit deals, usually ending up with court cases etc. Can't think of any other clubs who find themselves in the s*** that they do every other year.

Antifa Hibs
18-05-2020, 08:54 AM

Quite into clothing and had never heard of them. Doing some googling Murray's previous deals were working out around £3.5m-£4m a year. It's now £1m a year with Castore - that's a pretty good deal for Murray considering he's hardly hitting a baw.

The pricing doesn't add upto me. Usually with regards to fitba tops you add the club logo to a garment and you add £20 onto it for the privilege. A basic gym castore top is £65-75 so with that logic you'd you'd be thinking a football jersey would be £85-95. If they're producing these for the usual £45-50 for a replica football shirt then Rangers fans aren't getting the same quality garment as castores other stuff or if they are then punters paying £65 for a gym t-shirt are being robbed.

Either way its not changing anything. Good money for the huns. It will help them pull further away from 3rd place but regardless of what the journalists say a new deal worth upto £5m isn't gonna mount a title challenge - especially when Celtics new Adidas deal dwarfs it.

I'd be intrigued to see how great the quality is. In the outdoor activity world Arc-teryx is known for producing the best fabrics and you can buy a basic hiking/gym t-shirt for £45-50 from them. World renowned with decades of experience.

Brightside
18-05-2020, 08:55 AM
So it will be a bit like neds wearing Burberry? :greengrin

exactly like that. They will dilute the brand for sure...but for now its a top end brand they are getting.

nonshinyfinish
18-05-2020, 08:55 AM
When was the last time The Rangers had a legitimate kit deal? The seem to continually attract dodgy kit deals, usually ending up with court cases etc. Can't think of any other clubs who find themselves in the s*** that they do every other year.

I wonder if it's a cashflow thing – rather than doing normal kit deals like everyone else, they have oddly structured deals to get more cash up front.

(That's total speculation obviously.)

Not In The Know
18-05-2020, 08:57 AM
Got some of their stuff. It’s incredibly well made kit. Also probably a bit too expensive.

The rangers deal is a strange one for them as the typical hun couldn’t be further away from their original target market. I have a feeling they don’t know what they have let theirselves in for.

Kinda wish they made our kit especially with the Murray connection.

jacomo
18-05-2020, 09:01 AM

The Lying King decided it was a smart play to make Mike Ashley the enemy.

He’s left a toxic legacy for the Huns to deal with.

Brightside
18-05-2020, 09:01 AM
Quite into clothing and had never heard of them. Doing some googling Murray's previous deals were working out around £3.5m-£4m a year. It's now £1m a year with Castore - that's a pretty good deal for Murray considering he's hardly hitting a baw.

The pricing doesn't add upto me. Usually with regards to fitba tops you add the club logo to a garment and you add £20 onto it for the privilege. A basic gym castore top is £65-75 so with that logic you'd you'd be thinking a football jersey would be £65-95. If they're producing these for the usual £45-50 for a replica football shirt then Rangers fans are getting the same quality garment as castores other stuff or if they are then punters paying £65 for a gym t-shirt are being robbed.

Either way its not changing anything. Good money for the huns. It will help them pull further away from 3rd place but regardless of what the journalists say a new deal worth upto £5m isn't gonna mount a title challenge - especially when Celtics new Adidas deal dwarfs it.

I think they will be more expensive than other teams tops... £60+ Reality is the football kit will not be of the same quality....they must be subbing that out to someone as they dont make football kit at the moment. Castore market has been aimed at tennis / athletic types upto now. High end, not mass produced. Jumping into this stuff will change that and I imagine they will lose the high end market and eventually end up bargain bucket but sell millions on the way. A very similar journey to the likes of Lyle and Scott, Pringle etc. Suddenly you will be able to buy Castore tshirts in TK Max.

Antifa Hibs
18-05-2020, 09:25 AM
I think they will be more expensive than other teams tops... £60+ Reality is the football kit will not be of the same quality....they must be subbing that out to someone as they dont make football kit at the moment. Castore market has been aimed at tennis / athletic types upto now. High end, not mass produced. Jumping into this stuff will change that and I imagine they will lose the high end market and eventually end up bargain bucket but sell millions on the way. A very similar journey to the likes of Lyle and Scott, Pringle etc. Suddenly you will be able to buy Castore tshirts in TK Max.

Reckon you'll be right.

Guess there is a reason the premium designer sports brands (Lacoste, Hugo Boss & Ralph Lauren etc) stick to tennis and golf and havn't done football wear yet. Guess the logistics, QC and brand damage of getting 100,000 football tops made and printed in a few weeks just isn't worth it.

Juniper Greens
18-05-2020, 09:28 AM
I have a couple of their polos. Nice stuff, but now if I wear them, people will assume I'm a sevco fan

Brightside
18-05-2020, 09:52 AM
I have a couple of their polos. Nice stuff, but now if I wear them, people will assume I'm a sevco fan

Thats a huge issue for them imo. Its not the same as having an adidas or nike top. Castore will now be known as a Rangers brand and just a generic polo top will be looked at like part of the Rangers leasure wear. Big gamble for them.

Ozyhibby
18-05-2020, 10:33 AM
They are certainly doing things differently with a Sunday morning announcement and no images of how the new strip will look. What’s the lead in time on new kit for a club of Sevco’s size? Would they be ready for August if that when we get started?

Renfrew_Hibby
18-05-2020, 10:50 AM
Got some of their stuff. It’s incredibly well made kit. Also probably a bit too expensive.

The rangers deal is a strange one for them as the typical hun couldn’t be further away from their original target market. I have a feeling they don’t know what they have let theirselves in for.

Kinda wish they made our kit especially with the Murray connection.

Yeah it would be cool for Andy to play on court with a Thank you NHS Hibs top on

Andy74
18-05-2020, 11:01 AM
From everything I’d read about how they started and their principles of premium and quality this does seem to be about as bad a fit as you could get.

I’m sure it will make them some money short term though but it will certainly change the perception of the brand that they had been trying to build as an exclusive choice.

Billy Whizz
18-05-2020, 11:02 AM
They are certainly doing things differently with a Sunday morning announcement and no images of how the new strip will look. What’s the lead in time on new kit for a club of Sevco’s size? Would they be ready for August if that when we get started?

There’s a video on LinkedIn with the Rangers Marketing Director and one of the Castore owners
He was asked why Rangers, and he said they are the most decorated Club in the world
At that point I switched off

Renfrew_Hibby
18-05-2020, 11:04 AM
There’s a video on LinkedIn with the Rangers Marketing Director and one of the Castore owners
He was asked why Rangers, and he said they are the most decorated Club in the world
At that point I switched off

Obviously a Stevie Gee connection somewhere in this link up.

Ozyhibby
18-05-2020, 11:26 AM
Obviously a Stevie Gee connection somewhere in this link up.

I doubt it. More likely just a case of Rangers having to go out with the established players to get a deal.

Ozyhibby
18-05-2020, 11:32 AM
A bit of speculation out there that Sevco have bought Castore. Allows them to get rid of Ashley. If there is no actual kit deal then there is nothing for him to match.
This company are tiny so it’s a big jump for them to start up manufacturing footy kits. Maybe it was the only way for Sevco to do it was to make their own kits for a bit. If so, might actually be a smart move.

Ozyhibby
18-05-2020, 11:34 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200518/1e809991b3614d8802d02648317cf24f.plist
The two brothers that own it seem to have gave up control of the company in January?

Andy74
18-05-2020, 11:38 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200518/1e809991b3614d8802d02648317cf24f.plist
The two brothers that own it seem to have gave up control of the company in January?

They had a major round of fundraising which was announced in February.

hibstag
18-05-2020, 12:06 PM
McManus was saying on twitter the deal is worth £25million.

I've never heard of them. Obviously the knuckle draggers are lapping it up but what's the catch?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

That's the catch it's a small sportswear company that the huns can claim is a huge bespoke deal to compete with celtic and their adidas contract. This means that they can maintain the pretence of a level financial playing field for their 'brand'.

My favorite tweet yesterday was one hun slavering delightedly 'their hinting at orange in the press release'
The Castore brand may never recover...

nonshinyfinish
18-05-2020, 12:10 PM
A bit of speculation out there that Sevco have bought Castore. Allows them to get rid of Ashley. If there is no actual kit deal then there is nothing for him to match.
This company are tiny so it’s a big jump for them to start up manufacturing footy kits. Maybe it was the only way for Sevco to do it was to make their own kits for a bit. If so, might actually be a smart move.

Borussia Dortmund made their own kits for a while (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goool.de) – I don't remember the details, but I think that was part of the financial mismanagement that almost bankrupted them in the early 2000s. So here's hoping. :wink:

Ozyhibby
18-05-2020, 01:15 PM
Borussia Dortmund made their own kits for a while (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goool.de) – I don't remember the details, but I think that was part of the financial mismanagement that almost bankrupted them in the early 2000s. So here's hoping. :wink:

On the face of it it seems sensible. Why pay a sportswear company to make what is a pretty simple to produce garment?
The reality is different though. There is value in the giant production and distribution networks these companies have. Their marketing is not to be sniffed at either. That’s why major clubs never do it.

Antifa Hibs
11-06-2020, 07:41 AM
Chances of Castore releasing their own version of this top in a season or 2?

https://twitter.com/Bazzinho9/status/1270767166627946496

https://victor-stewart.com/product/uvf-1912-flag/

Good to see Ulster progressing very well in these modern times :cb

Hibernian Verse
11-06-2020, 09:50 AM

Good to see Ulster progressing very well in these modern times :cbThat's essentially a kit for UVF FC is it not? You'd think kit makers would do their due diligence.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Renfrew_Hibby
11-06-2020, 10:35 AM
That's essentially a kit for UVF FC is it not? You'd think kit makers would do their due diligence.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I think they have, it'll be a massive seller and not just in East Belfast.

jonty
11-06-2020, 04:23 PM
@Castore_UK (parody account) is on form today
https://twitter.com/Castore_UK/status/1271115188675190785

Iggy Pope
11-06-2020, 05:24 PM

Good to see Ulster progressing very well in these modern times :cb

Aside of all the clear messages and poison that comes with those ****s, if that Linfield kit was a side in say, Argentina, it would be splendid.