PDA

View Full Version : Any footage of the Eddie may new years Derby winner??

berwickhibee
16-05-2020, 09:22 PM
Remember the game well and one of the best atmospheres I've seen at Easter Road.

Packed into the old East terracing like sardines, the crowd was given as 27,500 at the time but have never seen any footage??

Jingle bells jingle bells 🎶

hibstag
17-05-2020, 08:35 AM
Remember the game well and one of the best atmospheres I've seen at Easter Road.

Packed into the old East terracing like sardines, the crowd was given as 27,500 at the time but have never seen any footage??

Similarly i would love to see footage of the October 87 Derby 2 1 win if anyone has it

Alfred E Newman
17-05-2020, 09:18 AM

I think it’s on the Goals against Hearts video.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-05-2020, 09:34 AM
Was hoping to transfer a bunch of Hibs footage and others from video to Dvd or to cloud. But when I plunged it in and played, chewed the tape... :(

Hiber-nation
17-05-2020, 10:03 AM

That game wasn't on TV so you'll be lucky to get any footage. Was it a header? I'd forgotten about that game to be honest.

matty_f
17-05-2020, 10:54 AM
That game wasn't on TV so you'll be lucky to get any footage. Was it a header? I'd forgotten about that game to be honest.

An Eddie May winner against Hearts at Easter Road is one of my earliest clear Hibs memories. Not sure if it was the same game as the one the thread is about, but the goal came down Hibs' left hand side, a low cross was put into the net by May. From memory, we hit the post with a very similar move shortly after.

BS44
17-05-2020, 11:01 AM
An Eddie May winner against Hearts at Easter Road is one of my earliest clear Hibs memories. Not sure if it was the same game as the one the thread is about, but the goal came down Hibs' left hand side, a low cross was put into the net by May. From memory, we hit the post with a very similar move shortly after.

Into the Cowshed end? Eddie May slid in at backpost

BILLYHIBS
17-05-2020, 11:14 AM
My memory of Eddie May is a night game fourth of January 1989 1-0 win being in the East going radge when he scored last game I attended with my dear old Dad my abiding memory is seeing my Dad getting sucked away from me on a sea of euphoria

There was also an earlier Saturday afternoon game 17/10/1987 I don’t think we had beat Hearts for about 10 years Eddie May gave us an early lead after Henry could not hold Kano’s shot from an Orr free-kick fat Robbo equalised and Kano headed the winner from an Eddie May corner

Seekyit
17-05-2020, 11:48 AM
My memory of Eddie May is a night game fourth of January 1989 1-0 win being in the East going radge when he scored last game I attended with my dear old Dad my abiding memory is seeing my Dad getting sucked away from me on a sea of euphoria

There was also an earlier Saturday afternoon game 17/10/1987 I don’t think we had beat Hearts for about 10 years Eddie May gave us an early lead after Henry could not hold Kano’s shot from an Orr free-kick fat Robbo equalised and Kano headed the winner from an Eddie May corner

My sister lived in Balfour Street at the time and said to me afterwards the roar was huge.

Never seen footage of either of these games.

Potty78
17-05-2020, 12:01 PM
The two one win in 87 was Goram's first derby. Can remember kane header and both sets of fans on the pitch. I was in the old cow shed. My first derby experience

Frazerbob
17-05-2020, 12:24 PM
It’s a May Day!

BILLYHIBS
17-05-2020, 12:40 PM
It’s a May Day!
:agree:

When he scored the winner versus Celtic in the 4-3 game with the diving header this old guy in the East turned to me with hands held aloft and proudly proclaimed “ Eddie May a star is born!” :greengrin

matty_f
17-05-2020, 12:42 PM

Think that's the one I'm thinking of.

Carheenlea
17-05-2020, 01:05 PM
I think it’s on the Goals against Hearts video.

Unfortunately it’s not. Some good viewing on the video which has been uploaded to YouTube - some great goals and the pitch invader with child on shoulders at the end of the Geebsie derby at Tynecastle is always worth a watch

https://youtu.be/vvrBiPlfjZU

G B Young
17-05-2020, 01:53 PM
As others have said the game wasn't on TV so unlikely there will be any footage (although footage of the 4-3 Scottish Cup win over Celtic in which Eddie also scored the clincher was unearthed again not that long ago so I guess there's always hope!).

In the meantime here's Eddie putting Hibs ahead at Ibrox in early 1987. Great goal (game finished 1-1).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfcmnQ1RCjE

BILLYHIBS
17-05-2020, 01:58 PM
As others have said the game wasn't on TV so unlikely there will be any footage (although footage of the 4-3 Scottish Cup win over Celtic in which Eddie also scored the clincher was unearthed again not that long ago so I guess there's always hope!).

In the meantime here's Eddie putting Hibs ahead at Ibrox in early 1987. Great goal (game finished 1-1).

Quality finish

scoopyboy
17-05-2020, 08:00 PM

It was the Celtic View that filmed the 4-3 cup tie. I bought a copy from them

berwickhibee
17-05-2020, 08:10 PM

That's the game, kano hit the post soon after.
And in the last minute Goram had a great save from wee fat robbo.

wallpaperman
17-05-2020, 09:31 PM
It was the Celtic View that filmed the 4-3 cup tie. I bought a copy from them

Sure that’s not right, my Dad bought it from a wee shop in Abbeyhill I think, who had done some deal with a Hibs to film games, though it petered out very quickly, I think he might have bought another game as well. The quality was not great, no commentary of course, but we thought it was great.

He’s probably still got them stored away somewhere, need to ask him.

bawheid
17-05-2020, 10:12 PM

Eddie May was heavily involved in my first game at ER. Valentine’s Day 1987. Eddie scored the first in a 4-1 win against Clydebank and was later stretchered off after colliding with the post. My memory is hazy in that I can’t remember if he got injured scoring the goal or if it was later on. Only 5000 at the game!

BILLYHIBS
18-05-2020, 05:39 PM
Eddie May a star is born!

Scottish Cup QF

Hibs 4 v 3 Celtic

Cowan 2 one pen
Chisholm
May

https://youtu.be/uqvQTxKp5Ag

Waxy
18-05-2020, 05:45 PM
Similarly i would love to see footage of the October 87 Derby 2 1 win if anyone has it

That was amazing. Dont think there was camaras though.

The Green Sea
18-05-2020, 05:48 PM
The two one win in 87 was Goram's first derby. Can remember kane header and both sets of fans on the pitch. I was in the old cow shed. My first derby experience

I was in the cow shed as my foot was in a cast. Hated not being in the East but watching it go mental was pretty good to.

scoopyboy
18-05-2020, 08:14 PM
Sure that’s not right, my Dad bought it from a wee shop in Abbeyhill I think, who had done some deal with a Hibs to film games, though it petered out very quickly, I think he might have bought another game as well. The quality was not great, no commentary of course, but we thought it was great.

He’s probably still got them stored away somewhere, need to ask him.

I certainly got my copy from the Celtic View. They filmed every Celtic game, home and away

BILLYHIBS
18-05-2020, 09:27 PM
I certainly got my copy from the Celtic View. They filmed every Celtic game, home and away

Got mine -a VHS tape with no markings-from a shop on Haymarket Terrace - they had set up a camera above the tunnel - they were doing a roaring trade - still got it somewhere

Wheat Hound
18-05-2020, 09:34 PM
Eddie May was heavily involved in my first game at ER. Valentine’s Day 1987. Eddie scored the first in a 4-1 win against Clydebank and was later stretchered off after colliding with the post. My memory is hazy in that I can’t remember if he got injured scoring the goal or if it was later on. Only 5000 at the game!

That was my 2nd or 3rd Hibs game. Then Clydebank put us out the Scottish Cup the following Saturday at Kilbowie!