PDA

View Full Version : Hibs v Rangers 1984

RoxburghHibs
15-05-2020, 07:00 PM
https://youtu.be/V3dnjVnxaLI

Stumbled across this on YouTube. This is from when I first started watching Hibs so loads of memories :flag:

Glory Lurker
15-05-2020, 07:48 PM
Last time we didn't beat them that season.

RoxburghHibs
15-05-2020, 07:54 PM
Last time we didn't beat them that season.

https://youtu.be/k7rs44AVI6U

2-1 at Ibrox Jan 1985

Glory Lurker
15-05-2020, 08:05 PM

2-1 at Ibrox Jan 1985

Yus! Our first win there in a long time!

CropleyWasGod
15-05-2020, 08:18 PM
Yus! Our first win there in a long time!

Derek Ferguson's hair.:greengrin

Nakedmanoncrack
15-05-2020, 08:26 PM
Was probably at that, but don't remember it.
Standard of football ? :hmmm:
Ridiculously scrappy.

Waxy
15-05-2020, 08:35 PM

2-1 at Ibrox Jan 1985I was at this one.Never missed a game home or away around this time as a young teenager.Just before women and beer got in the way lol.

Ringothedog
15-05-2020, 08:53 PM
I was at this one.Never missed a game home or away around this time as a young teenager.Just before women and beer got in the way lol.

Missed it because my son was born that weekend, nearly called him Colin

BILLYHIBS
15-05-2020, 10:48 PM

Stumbled across this on YouTube. This is from when I first started watching Hibs so loads of memories :flag:
Brilliant!

monktonharp
16-05-2020, 12:31 AM
I was at this one.Never missed a game home or away around this time as a young teenager.Just before women and beer got in the way lol.I might have missed this one. I was on strike. couldnae pay my rent, never mind go to fitba

SideBurns
16-05-2020, 12:44 AM

2-1 at Ibrox Jan 1985

I was at the reserve gemme at Easter Road. It was a 2pm ko, fired back to my Grandad's to listen to the second half from Ibrox on the wireless. Mind going daft when Harris scored the winner, and couldnae wait to watch the highlights on Sportscene that night! Think that win sparked the run which saw us fight clear of relegation.

16-05-2020, 02:56 AM
Why was Ibrox so empty during that era

BILLYHIBS
16-05-2020, 05:02 AM

They did walking away before they did walking away

It’s always been The Rangers way :greengrin

Yorkshire HFC
16-05-2020, 05:39 AM

Good video - thanks.

That was the era when I went to most matches - don't remember that one though.

Waxy
16-05-2020, 06:37 AM

That was the crowds they were getting around this time.Aberdeen and Dundee utd were the best teams in Scotland, Rangers were just a middle of the league team.
Souness changed everything.

Phil MaGlass
16-05-2020, 08:35 AM
Also watched the sellik v huns game after it, just how good was Davy Cooper...

Keith_M
16-05-2020, 09:19 AM

Crowds in general were at their lowest in the late 70s/early 80s.

Add to that the fact that Rangers were utter rubbish (John Grieg era) and it resulted in them playing in front of about 14k home attendances.

The era of playing in front of near full houses every week was still a few years away (a combination of the arrival of Souness and the advent of clubs selling massive numbers of Season Tickets)

weecounty hibby
16-05-2020, 09:31 AM
Crowds in general were at their lowest in the late 70s/early 80s.

Add to that the fact that Rangers were utter rubbish (John Grieg era) and it resulted in them playing in front of about 14k home attendances.

The era of playing in front of near full houses every week was still a few years away (a combination of the arrival of Souness and the advent of clubs selling massive numbers of Season Tickets)
I can remember going to ibrox towards the end of the season where we narrowly avoided relegation and I think there was less than 10000 at the game. Memory might be getting games mixed up but Colin Harris scored the winner in a 2-1 victory for the good guys.

Keith_M
16-05-2020, 09:40 AM
I can remember going to ibrox towards the end of the season where we narrowly avoided relegation and I think there was less than 10000 at the game. Memory might be getting games mixed up but Colin Harris scored the winner in a 2-1 victory for the good guys.

That was the game at Easter Road.

Kano scored the winner at Ibrox in the last game of the season. The crowd's recorded on wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984%E2%80%9385_Hibernian_F.C._season) as just over 7k.

It's amazing that we had such a decent record against them that season yet we were nearly relegated.

BILLYHIBS
16-05-2020, 10:22 AM
Colin Harris came off the bench at Ibrox to repeat the dose in a 2-1 victory in the week before the 0-3 loss to Aberdeen in the League Cup Final in October 1985

BILLYHIBS
16-05-2020, 10:51 AM
That was the game at Easter Road.

Kano scored the winner at Ibrox in the last game of the season. The crowd's recorded on wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984%E2%80%9385_Hibernian_F.C._season) as just over 7k.

It's amazing that we had such a decent record against them that season yet we were nearly relegated.

Kano’s winner was a penalty at Easter Road on 11th May 1985

Colin Harris scored twice against Rangers both at Ibrox

Keith_M
16-05-2020, 12:07 PM
Kano’s winner was a penalty at Easter Road on 11th May 1985

Colin Harris scored twice against Rangers both at Ibrox

I'm just going by the Wiki page, not any specific memory of the fixtures ;)

Maybe you could update Wiki if they've got it back to front

BILLYHIBS
16-05-2020, 12:35 PM
I'm just going by the Wiki page, not any specific memory of the fixtures ;)

Maybe you could update Wiki if they've got it back to front

Wiki have Kano’s goal as being at Easter Road as well funnily enough so nothing to update

Iggy Pope
16-05-2020, 09:07 PM

2-1 at Ibrox Jan 1985

I was at that game and off my tits. Horrendous to think Erich wouldn’t see that year out.

Thank you for posting this RH.

BILLYHIBS
16-05-2020, 09:09 PM
I was at that game and off my tits. Horrendous to think Erich wouldn’t see that year out.

:agree:

Kato
16-05-2020, 09:20 PM

John Greig was a rubbish manager so they lost momentum to Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Celtic. They don't like it when they can't act in a "triumphant" fashion so they walked away.

Kato
16-05-2020, 09:26 PM

Was at that one too. Hibs "end" went tonto when Harris scored.

He was like Mr Benn, who one day went into the fancy-dress shop changing room and came out wearing a Hibs strip then went on a wonderful adventure.

Shrekko
16-05-2020, 09:58 PM

Remember the ball boys in this game wearing Hibs bottoms and Rangers tops... a move to ease tension between the fans as there had been recent bother at the games.

Hard to imagine Hibs going for that these days!

G B Young
16-05-2020, 10:05 PM

There must be a good chance you can spot yourself among the that band of celebrating Hibs fans!

G B Young
16-05-2020, 10:10 PM

I was there. First time I've seen the goals for a long time.

What a classy player Brian Rice was. And Durie was a great signing. A cracking young striker before injury hampered him badly. Shame we had only had him for a short time.

stantonhibby
16-05-2020, 10:27 PM
There must be a good chance you can spot yourself among the that band of celebrating Hibs fans!

I'm pretty sure I was in the main stand that day....think we got an allocation there back then

BILLYHIBS
16-05-2020, 10:45 PM
I was there. First time I've seen the goals for a long time.

What a classy player Brian Rice was. And Durie was a great signing. A cracking young striker before injury hampered him badly. Shame we had only had him for a short time.

Juke Box was the real deal power electric pace strength good in the air went on to have a cracking career after he left us 43 Scotland caps 7 goals including one that sent us to the World Cup 1998 second division championship with Chelsea seven SPL titles and a Scottish Cup winners medal in which he scored a hat-trick versus Hearts

Always got the feeling HIBS were looking to cash in despite as you say injury problems

O'Rourke3
16-05-2020, 11:42 PM
Bob Valentine as Ref. Total Hun. Even in those highlights, two pens and one booking not given.

Iggy Pope
17-05-2020, 07:32 AM
I'm pretty sure I was in the main stand that day....think we got an allocation there back then

Me too. A hellish place to get out of at full time.

SideBurns
17-05-2020, 07:41 AM
Juke Box was the real deal power electric pace strength good in the air went on to have a cracking career after he left us 43 Scotland caps 7 goals including one that sent us to the World Cup 1998 second division championship with Chelsea seven SPL titles and a Scottish Cup winners medal in which he scored a hat-trick versus Hearts

Always got the feeling HIBS were looking to cash in despite as you say injury problems

In his first season, he looked promising and could shift but I recall him coming back from the close season much faster. He was the perfect foil for Stevie Cowan in '85-86, as Stevie was a great finisher but wasn't the most mobile (!).

Would it be fair to say we didn't use Jukebox's transfer fee to its greatest potential? If I've got this right we signed Kirkwood, Beedie, Caughey, Willie Irvine Mark 2, and Beastie McCluskey in the close season of '86. From that lot, I'd say only Beastie could be considered a real success.

Scorrie
17-05-2020, 07:46 AM
In his first season, he looked promising and could shift but I recall him coming back from the close season much faster. He was the perfect foil for Stevie Cowan in '85-86, as Stevie was a great finisher but wasn't the most mobile (!).

Would it be fair to say we didn't use Jukebox's transfer fee to its greatest potential? If I've got this right we signed Kirkwood, Beedie, Caughey, Willie Irvine Mark 2, and Beastie McCluskey in the close season of '86. From that lot, I'd say only Beastie could be considered a real success.

Willie Irvine 2 had a very decent record before coming to Hibs. Am I right in recalling him scoring a hatrick against Chelsea in a preseason friendly and I thought we had a great striker but he didn’t seem to kick in from there or get much game time

bigwheel
17-05-2020, 08:15 AM
Willie Irvine 2 had a very decent record before coming to Hibs. Am I right in recalling him scoring a hatrick against Chelsea in a preseason friendly and I thought we had a great striker but he didn’t seem to kick in from there or get much game time

Yeah,he had scored 1 in every 2 games for Stirling Albion....albeit that seems to have been his level, as he did the same throughout his career at that level....think he only played about 15 times for us...lacked pace perhaps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
17-05-2020, 08:17 AM

In his first preseason with us after signing from East Fife HIBS got him a sprint coach and worked on his upper body strength and he was like a totally different player same guy but better quicker faster stronger as you say laying the ball on a plate for Stevie Cowan.

malcolm
17-05-2020, 08:23 AM

Great player and not here long enough. I was in the tunnel at the end of the 4-3 game against Celtc and saw the players come in. I’d missed the flurry of goals at the end but with the foot stamping I knew we’d not lost but the thing that I remember the most was Durie literally screaming with delight .. I was disappointed a long time later when I realised that it was perhaps due at least in part to boyhood allegiances.

Football and nostalgia - it’s not what it used to be but what you remember it was but thankfully also what you are reminded it was. Plaudits go to those who kept old VHS video tapes and transferred them to digital. :aok:

Superfurry72
17-05-2020, 08:59 AM
John Greig was a rubbish manager so they lost momentum to Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Celtic. They don't like it when they can't act in a "triumphant" fashion so they walked away.

Jock Wallace was their manager when we beat them there in 85. Greig quit in 83. The week after we beat them in Jan 85 I was the mascot at our home game against Dumbarton - we won 3-1 with goals from Durie, Sneddon (a header!) and Rice (a penalty).

Eyrie
17-05-2020, 09:32 AM
Bob Valentine as Ref. Total Hun. Even in those highlights, two pens and one booking not given.

Don't know about the father but his son was a Dundee fan.

But back then, as now, the referees gave the Huns everything and Celtc everything except against the Huns.

Keith_M
17-05-2020, 09:35 AM
Wiki have Kano’s goal as being at Easter Road as well funnily enough so nothing to update

:aok:

BILLYHIBS
17-05-2020, 10:00 AM
:aok:

Was not being an arse the only reason I knew was because I have just covered the game on the “on this day in history thread”

Still ma pal? :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
17-05-2020, 10:09 AM
Great player and not here long enough. I was in the tunnel at the end of the 4-3 game against Celtc and saw the players come in. I’d missed the flurry of goals at the end but with the foot stamping I knew we’d not lost but the thing that I remember the most was Durie literally screaming with delight .. I was disappointed a long time later when I realised that it was perhaps due at least in part to boyhood allegiances.

Football and nostalgia - it’s not what it used to be but what you remember it was but thankfully also what you are reminded it was. Plaudits go to those who kept old VHS video tapes and transferred them to digital. :aok:
IIRC there was a Video shop in Haymarket doing a roaring trade in copies of the full ninety minutes TV cameras were banned and they set up a camera above the tunnel still got mine shows the Celtic typical pitch invasion at the end when they got beat. :greengrin

Kato
17-05-2020, 01:53 PM
Jock Wallace was their manager when we beat them there in 85. Greig quit in 83. The week after we beat them in Jan 85 I was the mascot at our home game against Dumbarton - we won 3-1 with goals from Durie, Sneddon (a header!) and Rice (a penalty).My point was it was while Greig was manager they became really rotten and lost momentum.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk