PDA

View Full Version : If football was permanently behind closed doors and you could only see Hibs on TV...

G B Young
15-05-2020, 03:57 PM
In the (hopefully!) unlikely event that football is never able to host fans again, would you keep following Hibs if your only way to watch them was by buying a subsription to watch them play closed doors games?

Onion
15-05-2020, 04:05 PM
Football is dead without fans. Being a fan is all about sharing experiences with fellow fans and mocking the opposition fans. It's what makes the game great. Watching matches in a soulless, fan-free stadium is just weird.

G B Young
15-05-2020, 04:06 PM
Football is dead without fans. Being a fan is all about sharing experiences with fellow fans and mocking the opposition fans. It's what makes the game great. Watching matches in a soulless, fan-free stadium is just weird.

I agree.

However, would you rather watch in a socially distanced stadium with about a quarter of the usual fans allowed in or just watch on TV? I think I'd probably just opt for TV as the socially distanced atmosphere would be almost as weird as no fans.

Since90+2
15-05-2020, 04:09 PM
In the (hopefully!) unlikely event that football is never able to host fans again, would you keep following Hibs if your only way to watch them was by buying a subsription to watch them play closed doors games?

It's not unlikely , it's hugely unlikely that football won't ever be able to host fans again. Alot of people said we won't see football in any form this year , including a few on here , and in less then 24 hours one of the biggest leagues in the world returns.

It might be next year before it returns but to suggest it might never return to hosting fans is ridiculous IMO.

Ronniekirk
15-05-2020, 05:24 PM
Not fir me it just smacks of desperation to me Have no appetite fir it what’s ever No matter who was playing

Would rather just give the club money to be honest
Will relive the Cup Final next week though and break out the Jagger from the Freezer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JXM73
15-05-2020, 05:27 PM
If it is the new normal I'd probably get used to it...eventually...

Eyrie
15-05-2020, 06:35 PM
It's Hibs.

I have no problem watching our women's team who don't play in front of 16000 every week, so why should I stop watching the men's team?

A Hi-Bee
15-05-2020, 06:41 PM
This could be the new normal for some time into the future, we just dont know.

MWHIBBIES
15-05-2020, 08:04 PM
The virus isn't so bad that it is going to wipe out crowds forever.

The 90+2
15-05-2020, 08:13 PM
Yep I would watch and take it as it was.

Alfred E Newman
15-05-2020, 09:17 PM
You would be as well pulling the plug.

mca
15-05-2020, 10:30 PM
You would be as well pulling the plug.

Did ye ever get in the bath to find out you maybe moved the plug accidentally and the waters gone before you realise..

only sports i can see surviving without supporters is golf and cricket and possibly even tiddlywinks..

Hibeesmad
15-05-2020, 11:30 PM
If I'm unable to attend a game and have to settle for it on the TV then I do so to watch the team, no matter who's in attendance.

lord bunberry
15-05-2020, 11:55 PM
I know it’s a hypothetical question but come on, it’s up there with who would win a fight between a lion and a tiger. It’s not going to happen, eventually everyone will be back in their seats in a full stadium.

HibbyAndy
16-05-2020, 06:50 AM
I know it’s a hypothetical question but come on, it’s up there with who would win a fight between a lion and a tiger. It’s not going to happen, eventually everyone will be back in their seats in a full stadium.

Spot on.

G B Young
16-05-2020, 07:58 AM

Yep I'm sure that will eventually be the case. Just seems a hell of a long time off and I get the sense nobody really knows what to do. I'm especially sceptical about social distancing at stadiums. Who could be bothered with that?

danhibees1875
16-05-2020, 08:13 AM

A tiger.

I'd still support Hibs on the TV.

Ronniekirk
16-05-2020, 08:30 AM
The virus isn't so bad that it is going to wipe out crowds forever.

Has any country yet had a spike that’s worse than the first one The answer is No
Things are changing g rapidly just now and despite the fact hundreds of new people every day are diagnosed with the virus the numbers in hospital are falling and numbers in critical care falling
In Scotland I would think we are at the point where more people are dying by not goi g to the hospital through fear
The fact remains most people who get this virus do t even know they have it , it’s still predominantly affecting the elderly with underlying health issues and those with poor immune systems
Treatments will improve
Am not advocating we go back to Normal right now but as we learn from other countries and see what happens there as they come out of lockdown we may be surprised
There are ways to live with the virus if people ate sensible about it
By August I think we will have a far better perspective
I would be more worried about a bad winter and a second spike then

Since90+2
16-05-2020, 08:37 AM
Yep I'm sure that will eventually be the case. Just seems a hell of a long time off and I get the sense nobody really knows what to do. I'm especially sceptical about social distancing at stadiums. Who could be bothered with that?

If Hibs were playing tomorrow you'd get thousands happy to go along to Easter Road.

Phil MaGlass
16-05-2020, 08:42 AM
Has any country yet had a spike that’s worse than the first one The answer is No
Things are changing g rapidly just now and despite the fact hundreds of new people every day are diagnosed with the virus the numbers in hospital are falling and numbers in critical care falling
In Scotland I would think we are at the point where more people are dying by not goi g to the hospital through fear
The fact remains most people who get this virus do t even know they have it , it’s still predominantly affecting the elderly with underlying health issues and those with poor immune systems
Treatments will improve
Am not advocating we go back to Normal right now but as we learn from other countries and see what happens there as they come out of lockdown we may be surprised

I think its the winter months we have to be more worried about. We may not even be allowed into sporting events until after next winter

Keith_M
16-05-2020, 09:23 AM

Tigers are bigger. No contest.

WestStandMoaner
16-05-2020, 06:29 PM

Just watched a couple of German games today i would keep following Hibs if we had to watch games without fans but to be honest I would probably drift away after a while. I felt today the football was so boring mainly due to the fact there was no atmosphere

i really hope hope we can find a vaccine for covid this year and get back to following our team with a full stadium

c,mon the Hibs :flag:

Pretty Boy
16-05-2020, 07:39 PM
I watched the Dortmund game today.

It's hard to argue they were anything other than very good to watch. However it really hammered home to me why I don't watch a lot of football away from Hibs. I think it's the emotional and social aspect of the game that attracts me far more than the football itself. If the quality of football was the overriding factor I wouldn't be supporting Hibs.

I don't doubt the commitment of the players involved today but without fans roaring the sides on and reacting to tackles, goals, misplaced passes, corners won and so on it just feels a bit like a friendly and all a bit sterile.

To answer the question I'd probably stick with it for a while because it's Hibs but I could see myself drifting away. Football is about rituals, tradition and shared moments. Remove fans from the game and you remove a huge part of that.

Alfred E Newman
17-05-2020, 10:50 AM
I think its the winter months we have to be more worried about. We may not even be allowed into sporting events until after next winter

If that’s the case there will be very little left.
There will have to come a time , hopefully not too far in the future, when we can get back to something like normality. After the decision is taken to open things up again, people will have to make their own choices about what they think is “safe” or not. Some will decide they will not attend anything that involves close contact like theatres, cinemas , sport etc. Some will be going about their daily lives behind a mask for years to come. That will be their choice and nobody will be forced to attend football matches.

ekhibee
17-05-2020, 11:02 AM
In answer to the question in the OP, I would say no, if football was just played behind closed doors for ever. But I don't think it'll be like that forever.

macca70
17-05-2020, 11:18 AM
Treatments will improve

The reason the numbers are falling, this is the result of lockdown, you don’t just see that improvement over night, that takes weeks. Despite lockdown rules being relaxed in places strict social distancing is still in place and group gatherings are going to be forbidden for a while. It’s likely that when group gathering rules are relaxed it will only be to allow around 50 folk in 1 place to allow small group gatherings for weddings, funerals etc.

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2020, 03:07 PM
I'd still watch Hibs i suppose, but i'd certainly not watch foreign stuff like whats on now. I'd have to have some sort of allegiance one way or another.

Also, part and parcel of the game for me is the social side, and meeting up with friends and the banter of travelling with them is a good part of the day for me.

I dont know if i'd drift away from watching Hibs, but the attraction would certainly be a lot different.

Oh and by the way, a tiger. :greengrin

17-05-2020, 11:34 PM
You only get one team in your life. Mines are the Gabbage.
Supported them through thick and thin. Have the scars to prove it!

Football as we know it will return in time. I'll be there waiting.
Until then if it means I need to watch on TV to get a fix so be it.