PDA

View Full Version : Complain to BBC about Sportsound/ Tom English

FilipinoHibs
14-05-2020, 03:27 AM
Here is is the link to make a complaint. Mine is in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaints/make-a-complaint/#/Complaint

Green_one
14-05-2020, 04:42 AM
Submitted. Been considering formally complaining for a week

147lothian
14-05-2020, 06:15 AM
Submitted I've been more than annoyed by Tom English and his support for an independent enquiry into the spfl and his ignoring of the silent majority who want to call the league as it stands and move on.

Yorkshire HFC
14-05-2020, 06:23 AM

You don't think that this is exactly what these pundits want - to create controversy and to keep the story alive while there's no football to talk about? He'll probably get a bonus because of this.

Peevemor
14-05-2020, 06:28 AM
You don't think that this is exactly what these pundits want - to create controversy and to keep the story alive while there's no football to talk about? He'll probably get a bonus because of this.

Pundits are there for that - to add a bit of interest.

Tom English is a journalist. If he wants to do tabloid sensationalism then it shouldn't be at the BBC and paid from the public purse.

Gloucester Hibs
14-05-2020, 06:58 AM

Tom English is a journalist. If he wants to do tabloid sensationalism then it shouldn't be at the BBC and paid from the public purse.

Exactly - he’s not Chris Sutton, he’s supposed to be the chief sports writer for BBC Scotland. Not unreasonable to expect a bit of in-depth impartial analysis, instead we’ve got him behaving like a “shock jock”.

Mick O'Rourke
14-05-2020, 07:11 AM

He is BBC Scotland's chief Sports Writer
So he won't be on buttons
However complaining directly to the BBC calling for his head wont work.
He knows exactly what he is doing and the reaction to his comments .
His bosses will monitor listening figures and those will decide outcomes.
Unless he says something that would result in some kind of uproar as in the case of Michael Stewart ,his job is safe for now.

Since452
14-05-2020, 07:15 AM

Very good point

Bostonhibby
14-05-2020, 07:16 AM
I did complain formally about something relating to one of their journalist's in the press box opposite where we were sitting at the 2016 cup final.

I got an acknowledgement not long after but nothing else, kind of what I expected and normally would have pursued but it was a particularly hectic period in life so left it.

To be fair I think they were completely tied up slating Hibs at the time.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Joe6-2
14-05-2020, 07:39 AM
Done

14-05-2020, 07:54 AM
Might be better to make the complaint about Sportsound's lack of balance rather than just Tom English. Every one of the pundits has the same viewpoint as TE. Occasionally the presenter chips in a little to question the opinion but the presenters don't generally offer an actual opinion as it's not their job to. They should be inviting on at least 1 pundit whose opinion differs. Willie Miller has kind of seen some of the recent goings on from the opposite viewpoint but he hasn't been on much and when he is he tends to get drowned out by TE & co.

I find it hard to believe there's not 1 other pundit out there whose views are different when you consider TE & co have been on the side of the minority each time. Good Friday vote was 81% to 19%, reconstruction was knocked back by 6 Premiership clubs before they'd even gone round all of them and the EGM vote was 27 to 13.

horseflesh
14-05-2020, 07:56 AM
Can’t shut somebody up because you don’t like or agree with what they say! The mans looking dafter by the day anyway.
I’m really looking forward to Saturdays radio and what he’s gonna slaver next

Keith_M
14-05-2020, 07:58 AM
Nah, this is so lame.

DaveF
14-05-2020, 07:58 AM
Rather than complain, just listen to radio Clyde. They seem to get decent reviews. Taking your custom elsewhere is what makes them take notice.

Danderhall Hibs
14-05-2020, 07:59 AM
The lack of balance argument will be dismissed - they make a point most weeks of saying “no one from the SPFL was willing to come on the show”.

Biggest issue I have is how they pretend they can’t see the other side of the “argument”. They’ve got Richard Gordon, English and sometimes even Stewart acting like Joey Essex.

I left Willie Miller off that list cos I think he genuinely doesn’t understand.

Bostonhibby
14-05-2020, 08:01 AM
Excerpt from the impartiality bit. Maybe the "team" and English have been too busy to read it and apply it recently. There's definitely two sides, at least to the story.

The*Editorial Guidelines*ensure that*BBC*content complies with the Broadcasting Code. The public rightly expect the highest standards from the*BBC*– truth, accuracy, impartiality and diversity of opinion – and that the information they receive is independent, authoritative and trustworthy.
4 Oct 2018

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Green_one
14-05-2020, 08:01 AM

Maybe true but my complaint, although it mentions him, is more about the lack of balance in content and personnel. Plus that they are now contradicting facts and generally damaging Scottish football.

English is only the obvious element of a bigger problem where the BBC Sportsound production team have totally lost their way on what they should be transmitting. Yes there can be debate but not a biased monologue from a series of cretins who never alter their position.

Yeah, almost nobody democratically supported the rubbish from Hearts and Rangers but we, the BBC mouthpieces, have decided that they are somehow right anyway and let’s all destroy football in an already fragile state. Repeat until everyone vomits.

14-05-2020, 08:16 AM
When TE and Michael Stewart have the same opinion the balance on the show goes right out the window. None of the other pundits are intelligent enough to argue against them and when they do actually come up with a decent counter argument, TE and MS just bombard them to win the debate.

At the moment it seems like the others are just going along with their narrative because it is easier. You've only got to look at Stephen Thomson who came back on the show yesterday for the first time in a while and he just completely agreed with everything. What a waste of time it was having him on.

mcohibs
14-05-2020, 08:18 AM
Nah, this is so lame.

Agreed,and very old firm-esque tbh. Very naive to think anything will actually come of this. Free speech and all that - just let him be wrong.

Waxy
14-05-2020, 08:25 AM
For me its a general major lack of balance on the entire program.
No sitting on the fence reporting facts with this lot.
They’ve taken a side and promoted that side with venom.
Not what you’d expect from this platform.

FilipinoHibs
14-05-2020, 08:30 AM
Might be better to make the complaint about Sportsound's lack of balance rather than just Tom English. Every one of the pundits has the same viewpoint as TE. Occasionally the presenter chips in a little to question the opinion but the presenters don't generally offer an actual opinion as it's not their job to. They should be inviting on at least 1 pundit whose opinion differs. Willie Miller has kind of seen some of the recent goings on from the opposite viewpoint but he hasn't been on much and when he is he tends to get drowned out by TE & co.

I find it hard to believe there's not 1 other pundit out there whose views are different when you consider TE & co have been on the side of the minority each time. Good Friday vote was 81% to 19%, reconstruction was knocked back by 6 Premiership clubs before they'd even gone round all of them and the EGM vote was 27 to 13.

Yes I went for lack of balance as well as English acting for the cabal.

FilipinoHibs
14-05-2020, 08:33 AM
In addition if you get no joy from the BBC, which is expected, you can raise the complaint to OFCOM. I intend to do this.

hibbyfraelibby
14-05-2020, 08:38 AM
Waste of time. The BBC is the state broadcaster. It is not balanced as its political coverages shows. It represents the "establishment" and its sports coverage is no different. People have complained about them for years and nothing changes and nothing until their funding model changes.

Dublin07
14-05-2020, 08:39 AM
Bbc are there to protect the establishment in everything. He is doing his job as far as they are concerned. He will always protect sevco and their pink chums no matter how ridiculous their claims are.

Dublin07
14-05-2020, 08:39 AM
Waste of time. The BBC is the state broadcaster. It is not balanced as its political coverages shows. It represents the "establishment" and its sports coverage is no different. People have complained about them for years and nothing changes and nothing until their funding model changes.
Sorry mate we were typing at the same time you are spot on

Rumble de Thump
14-05-2020, 08:40 AM
It's not even about a lack of balance. Tom English is knowingly creating a problem for individuals and Scottish football in general. His words and actions have the same kind of whiff about them as Jim Traynor's did prior to landing a job at Sevco. The questions is...how long will it be before Tom English and Scot Gardiner are colleagues?

duffers
14-05-2020, 08:40 AM
The mans a welt who is best ignored.

He will be delighted to get a number of complaints against him

J-C
14-05-2020, 08:42 AM
Done.

I haven't actually listened to Sportsound since football stopped but I can't stand English anyway, so was happy to complain about him.

14-05-2020, 08:42 AM
Yes I went for lack of balance as well as English acting for the cabal.

🙂

Something I've noticed about English is when hears someone say something that backs his own argument, he latches on to it and says it's "really really interesting" and he'll usually refer back to it later, either in that show or a future one. Listen out for it.

mcohibs
14-05-2020, 08:46 AM
In addition if you get no joy from the BBC, which is expected, you can raise the complaint to OFCOM. I intend to do this.

Because he has an opinion on Scottish football that goes against the view of the majority?

Any complaint is a monumental waste of time

hibbyfraelibby
14-05-2020, 08:48 AM
Sorry mate we were typing at the same time you are spot on

Great minds and all that😉

Rumble de Thump
14-05-2020, 08:49 AM
Because he has an opinion on Scottish football that goes against the view of the majority?

His 'opinion' involves regurgitating fabricated, defamatory allegations and ignoring all evidence that disproves them.

mcohibs
14-05-2020, 08:50 AM
Done.

I haven't actually listened to Sportsound since football stopped but I can't stand English anyway, so was happy to complain about him.

Herein lies the problem. 'Don't actually know what I'm complaining about but I'm complaining anyway'.

mcohibs
14-05-2020, 08:52 AM
His 'opinion' involves regurgitating fabricated, defamatory allegations and ignoring all evidence that disproves them.

Aye, he's a fanny and he's wrong. But just ignore him ffs 😂 Lodging a complaint is a complete waste of time and absolutely nothing will come of it

McSwanky
14-05-2020, 08:58 AM
🙂

Something I've noticed about English is when hears someone say something that backs his own argument, he latches on to it and says it's "really really interesting" and he'll usually refer back to it later, either in that show or a future one. Listen out for it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that as such - I think everyone does it to a certain extent.

What bothers me is that he continually berates the shambles Scottish Football is in, yet he is acting as a mouthpiece for the very people who are creating the mess.

Pretty Boy
14-05-2020, 08:59 AM
Really? Really?

FFS the sooner football is back the better.

14-05-2020, 09:02 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with that as such - I think everyone does it to a certain extent.

What bothers me is that he continually berates the shambles Scottish Football is in, yet he is acting as a mouthpiece for the very people who are creating the mess.

Fair enough. Good point.

Coco Bryce
Best complaint is just don't listen to it. Let's be honest Sportsound is rank rotten and the 'pundits' are woeful (MS excluded)

Superscoreboard on Clyde 1 is a much better balanced show.

Rumble de Thump
Aye, he's a fanny and he's wrong. But just ignore him ffs 😂 Lodging a complaint is a complete waste of time and absolutely nothing will come of it

You don't have to complain about him.

The 90+2
14-05-2020, 09:03 AM
Complaining formally to the BBC is well over the top. It’s the kind of thing we would rip rangers or hearts for.

Peevemor
14-05-2020, 09:04 AM

There have been 2 recent votes involving all SPFL member clubs.

The first was the board's proposition to "call" the championship, leagues 1&2, etc. - 81% of clubs voted for.

The second was Rangers' call for an investigation - only 13 of the required 32 clubs voted for - including the likes of Aberdeen who said their vote was an effort to clear those concerned of any wrongdoing.

2 overwhelming victories for the SPFL board and their proposals, yet but does English report them as such?

No.

The SPFL is a shambles, that 13 out of 42 clubs back the call for an enquiry shows major unrest, blah blah blah ...

Why is English and therefore the BBC attacking the SPFL? Why are they promoting the notion of unrest where the reality is that the vast majority of clubs are singing from the same hymn sheet? I've nothing against editorial - but it's nice to have simple facts too without applying the losers' slant.

weecounty hibby
14-05-2020, 09:05 AM
Just don't listen to it. We are all pretty much in agreement that he, and most of the presenters, talk crap, have a serious leaning toward the Jambo/Hun side if any argument, won't listen to reason, seem to have their own agenda etc. So why even turn it on. I stopped listening ages ago as it is so one sided it's not true. Listening figures is what will drive change not a few complaints that they will just dismiss

mcohibs
14-05-2020, 09:14 AM
There have been 2 recent votes involving all SPFL member clubs.

The first was the board's proposition to "call" the championship, leagues 1&2, etc. - 81% of clubs voted for.

The second was Rangers' call for an investigation - only 13 of the required 32 clubs voted for - including the likes of Aberdeen who said their vote was an effort to clear those concerned of any wrongdoing.

2 overwhelming victories for the SPFL board and their proposals, yet but does English report them as such?

No.

The SPFL is a shambles, that 13 out of 42 clubs back the call for an enquiry shows major unrest, blah blah blah ...

Why is English and therefore the BBC attacking the SPFL? Why are they promoting the notion of unrest where the reality is that the vast majority of clubs are singing from the same hymn sheet? I've nothing against editorial - but it's nice to have simple facts too without applying the losers' slant.

What's your point? Tom English is wrong, I agree.

Is it worth complaining to the BBC and OFCOM? No. Waste of time. Naive to suggest otherwise.

Just ignore him. Anyone claiming to be 'outraged' by TE's opinion, deep down they don't actually care that much. If it really affects your life greatly then feel free to make an official complaint but there's a thousand better ways you could be spending your time tbh.

Peevemor
14-05-2020, 09:22 AM

Is it worth complaining to the BBC and OFCOM? No. Waste of time. Naive to suggest otherwise.

Just ignore him. Anyone claiming to be 'outraged' by TE's opinion, deep down they don't actually care that much. If it really affects your life greatly then feel free to make an official complaint but there's a thousand better ways you could be spending your time tbh.

I won't be complaining to OFCOM.

I will be sending something to the BBC.

If it was a newspaper then fair enough - we know that different papers will put things in a different light. However for me the BBC should be reporting facts and, through Tom English, they are currently misrepresenting what is happening.

If you believe English (and therefore the BBC) the SPFL and it's board have screwed up - they've got everything wrong and all the member clubs are up in arms. Is this a fair representation?

The BBC as a public broadcaster has an obligation to report things accurately. They're not doing that.

Rumble de Thump
14-05-2020, 09:22 AM

You could have sent about 10 complaints in the time you've spent telling people that complaining is a waste of time.

EI255
14-05-2020, 09:23 AM
Slapped in a complaint myself.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
14-05-2020, 09:27 AM
What do people think will be achieved by complaining? That English will be removed from his position? If not, what's the point? You'll get a stock response about your views being noted if you are lucky and Hearts and Rangers fans will have a laugh at your expense (albeit that's probably little comfort for them).

Just don't listen. There are so many other options available to get news and views on Scottish football these days. The BBC don't hold any kind of monopoly. I'm convinced some people continue to listen to Sportsound just to be annoyed by it.

mcohibs
14-05-2020, 09:28 AM
You could have sent about 10 complaints in the time you've spent telling people that complaining is a waste of time.

That's a fair point 🤣🤣 I suppose by waste of time I mean, there's no point in doing it because it's never going to achieve anything

Since452
14-05-2020, 09:29 AM
Just stop listening to Sportsound. Starve them of the green ear

Peevemor
14-05-2020, 09:31 AM
What do people think will be achieved by complaining? That English will be removed from his position? If not, what's the point? You'll get a stock response about your views being noted if you are lucky and Hearts and Rangers fans will have a laugh at your expense (albeit that's probably little comfort for them).

Just don't listen. There are so many other options available to get news and views on Scottish football these days. The BBC don't hold any kind of monopoly. I'm convinced some people continue to listen to Sportsound just to be annoyed by it.

Maybe his boss will have a word?

That's what editors do.

Kato
14-05-2020, 09:32 AM
. I'm convinced some people continue to listen to Sportsound just to be annoyed by it.

That is their editorial policy, "create controversy".

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

jacomo
14-05-2020, 09:34 AM

The BBC don’t have a monopoly on coverage but they do have a duty to provide balanced and informative news and coverage.

Tom English is BBC Scotland’s chief sports writer. He should embody these values. At a time of rancour, division and animosity, it is even more important that the BBC remains an informative news source but remains above the fray.

They have failed in their duty and badly let down scottish football fans during this crisis.

Complain or just make a comment. I think it is entirely right to do so.

Pretty Boy
14-05-2020, 09:38 AM
Maybe his boss will have a word?

That's what editors do.

He probably will.

'Keep doing what your doing Tom, it' s working' would seem the most likely choice of words especially if people continue to tune in.

Pretty Boy
14-05-2020, 09:41 AM
The BBC don’t have a monopoly on coverage but they do have a duty to provide balanced and informative news and coverage.

Tom English is BBC Scotland’s chief sports writer. He should embody these values. At a time of rancour, division and animosity, it is even more important that the BBC remains an informative news source but remains above the fray.

They have failed in their duty and badly let down scottish football fans during this crisis.

Has there been no balance? I don't listen to Sporrsound but looking at Twitter it appears Michael Stewart is quite openly arguing against English. Does he do the same on the radio?

Daniel 1875
14-05-2020, 09:41 AM
All seems a bit Old Firm to go about putting in formal complaints against someone you don’t agree with.

Tom English is a largely decent journalist who appears to be trying to highlight some obvious failures by the SPFL. Because it’s Rangers and Hearts on the ‘side’ he’s backing does that mean he deserves Hibs fans, some of which haven’t even listened to what he’s had to say on the matters, dob him in to his bosses?

The SPFL has a number of obvious failures over the years with the voting structure etc and clearly there were mistakes made with the recent Dundee vote.

The same people pretending everything is going swimmingly now because it’s sticking it to Rangers and Hearts will be bleating about corruption next time Rangers get a dodgy penalty at Easter Road.

Jim44
14-05-2020, 09:42 AM

That is their editorial policy, "create controversy".

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

He’ll probably get a pay rise.

Peevemor
14-05-2020, 09:45 AM
All seems a bit Old Firm to go about putting in formal complaints against someone you don’t agree with.

Tom English is a largely decent journalist who appears to be trying to highlight some obvious failures by the SPFL. Because it’s Rangers and Hearts on the ‘side’ he’s backing does that mean he deserves Hibs fans, some of which haven’t even listened to what he’s had to say on the matters, dob him in to his bosses?

The SPFL has a number of obvious failures over the years with the voting structure etc and clearly there were mistakes made with the recent Dundee vote.

The same people pretending everything is going swimmingly now because it’s sticking it to Rangers and Hearts will be bleating about corruption next time Rangers get a dodgy penalty at Easter Road.

What obvious failures?

What have the SPFL got wrong in relation to the COVID 19 crisis?

Bishop Hibee
14-05-2020, 09:47 AM
Really? Really?

FFS the sooner football is back the better.

This.

J-C
14-05-2020, 09:49 AM
Herein lies the problem. 'Don't actually know what I'm complaining about but I'm complaining anyway'.

What nonsense, I've read many things this past few weeks concerning English on Twitter, here and in the press, I've also listened to him on numerous occasions when he's been a dick and been argumentative with extreme views. All this is enough for me to make a complaint against one of the worst most biased journalists in Scotland right now.

Daniel 1875
14-05-2020, 09:53 AM
What obvious failures?

What have the SPFL got wrong in relation to the COVID 19 crisis?

They released the results of a ballot before all 42 clubs had submitted their votes, opening the door to dodgy deals and allegations of dodgy deals even if there were none.

They appear to have withheld key information on advance payment on prize money in order to get clubs to vote for their resolution.

They allowed the Daily Record (I think) to reveal that League Two clubs were only willing to vote in a certain way before any other clubs had been informed.

They allowed STV to inform their members that league reconstruction had been beaten without a proposal even making it to a vote.

They sanctioned an ‘independent inquiry’ into the voting process, funded by the SPFL, but then scoffed at the idea of any further inquiry funded by a member club because it wouldn’t be independent enough.

They’ve ruled on behalf on the Lowland League and Highland League without their input.

Pretending everything has been handled fine just because it suits us to see Hearts go down and Rangers laughed at means they SPFL get off with handling the situation poorly.

More widely the voting system is outdated and the idea that all 42 clubs should have a vote on big issues means it turns into a complete bun fight as we’ve seen over the last two months. An inquiry into how things work might give everyone a chance to review how things are being run?

Peevemor
14-05-2020, 09:56 AM
They released the results of a ballot before all 42 clubs had submitted their votes, opening the door to dodgy deals and allegations of dodgy deals even if there were none.

They appear to have withheld key information on advance payment on prize money in order to get clubs to vote for their resolution.

They allowed the Daily Record (I think) to reveal that League Two clubs were only willing to vote in a certain way before any other clubs had been informed.

They allowed STV to inform their members that league reconstruction had been beaten without a proposal even making it to a vote.

They sanctioned an ‘independent inquiry’ into the voting process, funded by the SPFL, but then scoffed at the idea of any further inquiry funded by a member club because it wouldn’t be independent enough.

They’ve ruled on behalf on the Lowland League and Highland League without their input.

Pretending everything has been handled fine just because it suits us to see Hearts go down and Rangers laughed at means they SPFL get off with handling the situation poorly.

More widely the voting system is outdated and the idea that all 42 clubs should have a vote on big issues means it turns into a complete bun fight as we’ve seen over the last two months. An inquiry into how things work might give everyone a chance to review how things are being run?

I'm sorry Daniel, but a lot of your answer shows what happens when people like English get a platform to spout their nonsense.

jacomo
14-05-2020, 09:56 AM
Has there been no balance? I don't listen to Sporrsound but looking at Twitter it appears Michael Stewart is quite openly arguing against English. Does he do the same on the radio?

Tom English should not be acting like a pundit on one side of the debate. There are plenty of others who can perform that role. That is not his job.

Daryl Broadfoot was clearly setting out the issues and trying to reign him in on the most recent sports sound podcast, but Tom English just kept on accusing anyone who disagreed with the Rangers resolution of lacking ‘an open mind’.

This is unacceptable IMO.

Daniel 1875
14-05-2020, 10:00 AM
I'm sorry Daniel, but a lot of your answer shows what happens when people like English get a platform to spout their nonsense.

Or shows what happens when you take a step back and look at things from a perspective which doesn’t obsess over Hearts and Rangers being in the wrong?

Celtic fans laughing at the idea of SPFL doing anything wrong throughout this were shouting from the rooftops about corruption only a few years ago.

A review into how things are run will give us a chance to make decisions for the betterment of Scottish football, at the moment it just serves to divide people up into camps based on who’s complaining and what they’re complaining about.

McSwanky
14-05-2020, 10:10 AM

Agreed

I have to take issue with your first sentence. Tom English WAS a largely decent journalist. Something happened along the way that has turned him into a rabble-rousing opinionated windbag. Whether it's that he's somehow in debt to Rangers, or whether he has an axe to grind against Doncaster et al I don't know. But he's not fulfilling his role as chief sportswriter as he seems incapable of seeing both sides of the argument.

I see your list below, many of which have been pulled directly from the Rangers dossier. Not sure that's the best source. Unless you are party to some inside information with a traceable source?

I get fed up seeing this argument on here. How do you know it's the same people? Reality is, there's thousands of members on here and I for one can't remember who posted what, and when. Can you?

Peevemor
14-05-2020, 10:12 AM
Or shows what happens when you take a step back and look at things from a perspective which doesn’t obsess over Hearts and Rangers being in the wrong?

Celtic fans laughing at the idea of SPFL doing anything wrong throughout this were shouting from the rooftops about corruption only a few years ago.

A review into how things are run will give us a chance to make decisions for the betterment of Scottish football, at the moment it just serves to divide people up into camps based on who’s complaining and what they’re complaining about.

OK, we'll take your points one by one.

Doncaster explained why - that people would have been going daft had there not been an announcement.

What key information? It was all clear even to me and I'm not involved.

They're not responsible for the DR printing leaked information.

Again, this was leaked. In any case it's true so what's the difference?

Do you think an enquiry funded by a "plaintiff" will ever be independent? And even if it was it would never be accepted as such.

The SPFL can't rule on other leagues.

I'm not pretending. I honestly think they've done as well as they could given the circumstances.

It was the clubs who put the voting system in place. There's no use complaining because you're not happy with results - especially those as emphatic as the last two.

Carheenlea
14-05-2020, 10:18 AM
Is this thread not a wee bit over the top?

I’ve heard things I’ve disagreed with from lots of commentators on the radio but have never come close to thinking writing a strongly worded statement of complaint about a show or any presenter was the appropriate course of action.

Each to their own, but while Tom English has been on a bit of a wobble the last week or so it’s hardly worthy of demands for his removal etc.

Peevemor
14-05-2020, 10:23 AM
Is this thread not a wee bit over the top?

I’ve heard things I’ve disagreed with from lots of commentators on the radio but have never come close to thinking writing a strongly worded statement of complaint about a show or any presenter was the appropriate course of action.

Each to their own, but while Tom English has been on a bit of a wobble the last week or so it’s hardly worthy of demands for his removal etc.

I'm not looking for his removal. I'd simply like him to be brought into line, ie. to be told to report things accurately.

Tabloid newspapers may wish to sensationalise things - that's what they do. The BBC is a public broadcaster and should be more circumspect, especially since talk of dirty dealings, shambles, etc. can only harm the SPFL which already has enough to cope with.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-05-2020, 10:28 AM

Do folks not think that the sensationalism that has crept into the BBC is an editorial decision which also sets them up for the future BBC - whatever form that may take? Followers/viewers/listeners over quality as they seek to become more "commercial" as they vye for funding/subscription when the enevitable axe swings if the license fee is ditched? Its self-preservation and makes them more marketable outside public service broadcasting?

Spike Mandela
14-05-2020, 10:29 AM

Don’t complain about individuals, complain about the program’s editorial balance. Night after night of one sided, agenda driven diatribes with the occasional guest given a couple of minutes counterpoint is not balance.

I remember tuning in to Sportsound at the height of Rangers EBT scandal and subsequent liquidation where they wouldn’t even discuss it. Features on Scotland’s youth policy and memorable Rangers European games regular topics instead if memory serves.

This program definitely needs held to account but singalling out English is futile. Perhaps though ask why he is given a platform every night and no journalist seems capable of coming on instead giving the counter view of the 67%.

weecounty hibby
14-05-2020, 10:47 AM
Sadly the BBC in a lot of areas have become tabloid like in their journalism. Also very partisan in their journalism at the moment and that shouldn't be the way it is. They should be unbiased, investigative, challenging but all of these things take effort. There is a lot of lazy journalism around at the moment. Spoon fed a narrative from the side they feel most comfortable with and then run with it

Jdawg
14-05-2020, 11:12 AM
Submitted I've been more than annoyed by Tom English and his support for an independent enquiry into the spfl and his ignoring of the silent majority who want to call the league as it stands and move on.

It’s like he conveniently forgets that ALL the member clubs agreed to the rules. Doesn’t fit his biased agenda.

Daniel 1875
14-05-2020, 11:22 AM

Doncaster explained why - that people would have been going daft had there not been an announcement.

How hard would it have been to put a statement out at 5pm to say not all clubs had voted? The regulations state clubs had 28 days to respond, would the SPFL have published the results at 5pm on the Friday if only a handful of clubs had actually voted? It was a mistake to publish the votes early and the fact they published them with one decisive vote missing made it even worse. The 'we had to publish them to avoid an uproar' reasoning is very thin when you consider what publishing them on time did achieve.

Maybe an inquiry would find out who the brain was behind that botched decision.

It seems pretty clear the resolution was put to clubs in a way which suggested 'vote for this or we can't help you financially', that might not have been the case and an inquiry might shed some light on that?

Perhaps an inquiry might have got to the bottom of which club chairman decided to leak key information to the papers before it was shared with member clubs. Clubs shouldn't find out which division they are likely to be playing in next season on the back of the Daily Record.

Do you think an enquiry funded by a "plaintiff" will ever be independent? And even if it was it would never be accepted as such.

I agree - but why do the SPFL claim the Deloitte inquiry holds water but any inquiry funded by Rangers wouldn't?

You're right, they can't. But calling League Two and kiboshing Brechin's place in a relegation play-off has effectively done just that with Brora and Kelty now unable to participate in a promotion play-off whenever football resumes. Why have the SPFL done that? Would a review into that decision shed more light on it?

Anyway, I digress. The thread is suggesting we should complain to the BBC because we don't like the opinion of one of the presenters on the radio. It wouldn't be much of a show if everyone on the panel had the same opinion would it? Let's leave the boycotts and complaints to people's bosses to the Glasgow clubs.

In my opinion it was a good chance to assess how things can be improved - not so we can save Hearts from going down or give Rangers the chance to fight against Celtic winning the league - just an opportunity for clubs to take a step back and look at how we come out the other side of this with better structures in place to run the game.

Sadly for some the fact the complaints and dossiers have royal blue and maroon on the front means it's a bad idea before it's even been considered.

Hibernian Verse
14-05-2020, 11:28 AM
The lack of balance argument will be dismissed - they make a point most weeks of saying “no one from the SPFL was willing to come on the show”.

Biggest issue I have is how they pretend they can’t see the other side of the “argument”. They’ve got Richard Gordon, English and sometimes even Stewart acting like Joey Essex.

That kid gets a hard time. Watch the current series of SAS: Who Dares Wins, it certainly changed my opinion.

easty
14-05-2020, 11:35 AM
You’d have to have been living under a rock for a good few years to think that the BBC is impartial nowadays.

I don’t agree with Tom English, I’m no going running to his mum and dad to tell them he’s no playing fair though. All a bit pathetic in my opinion.

The 90+2
14-05-2020, 11:36 AM
That kid gets a hard time. Watch the current series of SAS: Who Dares Wins, it certainly changed my opinion.

Fair point. He seems a decent sort on that.

Hibernian Verse
14-05-2020, 11:37 AM
Fair point. He seems a decent sort on that.He admits himself that he isn't very intelligent, which is usually a sign of some sort of self-awareness and intelligence!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

SuperAllyMcleod
14-05-2020, 11:38 AM
I don’t like TE’s opinions but I’m not bothered by it. What does annoy me is whenever he is on there is always a background rattling of cup and saucer as well as a lot of throat clearing - he needs to find the mute button on his device and use it when appropriate [emoji35]

I’ll not be making a complaint.

P.S. Did anyone hear Richard Gordon talking about Sunshine on Leith on Off The Ball last week - his favourite non-Aberdeen fitba song and the rendition in May 2016 will live with him for the rest of his life [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

The 90+2
14-05-2020, 11:40 AM
He admits himself that he isn't very intelligent, which is usually a sign of some sort of self-awareness and intelligence!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Yep. He’s also been through a awful amount of personal tragedy which wouldn’t have helped him growing up.

Jones28
14-05-2020, 11:53 AM
I’ll eat my hat if anything comes from this.

It’s simple, vote with your radio dial and listen to something else. They want people to listen, if you stop they will take notice.

WhileTheChief..
14-05-2020, 12:00 PM
Have folk actually complained or is it just chat in here?

I’d love to be the guy that reads them and gets to reply!!

WhileTheChief..
14-05-2020, 12:03 PM

It’s crazy.

Folk that don’t listen want to complain along with those who don’t pay the licence fee!!

If you don’t pay for it you kinda lose all rights to complain I’d have thought.

FilipinoHibs
14-05-2020, 12:05 PM
Have folk actually complained or is it just chat in here?

I’d love to be the guy that reads them and gets to reply!!

Yes several of us have complained. If you feel it has not been dealt with adequately, then you can raise to OFCOM which I will do.

Spike Mandela
14-05-2020, 12:08 PM
I suspect that if English continues peddling his agenda with, an all too apparent, bitterness, bias and vidictiveness sooner or later he will slip up like Michael Stewart and the threat of legal action by either an individual or the SPFL will be coming his way.

Since90+2
14-05-2020, 12:08 PM

It’s simple, vote with your radio dial and listen to something else. They want people to listen, if you stop they will take notice.

For any other station I'd agree but the BBC is the state national broadcaster and should be held to a higher standard of journalism.

ancient hibee
14-05-2020, 12:16 PM
I don’t like TE’s opinions but I’m not bothered by it. What does annoy me is whenever he is on there is always a background rattling of cup and saucer as well as a lot of throat clearing - he needs to find the mute button on his device and use it when appropriate [emoji35]

I’ll not be making a complaint.

P.S. Did anyone hear Richard Gordon talking about Sunshine on Leith on Off The Ball last week - his favourite non-Aberdeen fitba song and the rendition in May 2016 will live with him for the rest of his life [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

That does it.Richard Gordon is clearly demonstrating a Hibs bias in his musical taste.My complaint is already in and will go to OFCOM if I can get no satisfaction.I urge others to follow suit.

WhileTheChief..
14-05-2020, 12:31 PM
Yes several of us have complained. If you feel it has not been dealt with adequately, then you can raise to OFCOM which I will do.

OFCOM? Brilliant! Mind and let us know how you get on!

If this thread was on Kickback we would be laughing our heads off.

Topographic Hibby
14-05-2020, 12:47 PM
OFCOM? Brilliant! Mind and let us know how you get on!

If this thread was on Kickback we would be laughing our heads off.Agreed. As someone said above, saying "I'm telling on you..!" to his Mum is a bit thin-skinned and snowflake-y.

He's doing what Keith Jackson, Chris Sutton, Derek Johnston and Hugh Keevins etc etc do and become a lightning rod, drawing the ire and fire of one side. One day, he will forget to "ground" himself and the lightning will hurt.

Burny, burny…..

Fuzzywuzzy
14-05-2020, 12:53 PM
I really can't get my head around this.

We love to proclaim at others 'howling at the moon'. Whatever way you look at it, virtue signalling isn't going to get you what you want.

Do I have a solution? No. But I respect people's ability to voice their opinion even if I don't agree with it.

Brightside
14-05-2020, 12:59 PM

No reason to complain. Its a magazine show. We will just continue to be a well run club and let them chit chat about whatever they want. Its basically Loose Women for football.

Danderhall Hibs
14-05-2020, 01:02 PM

I’m watching it and the more I watch it the more I believe he is playing a character. I’ve thought that for a while and this is just adding to it.

Seems a good lad.

Peevemor
14-05-2020, 01:04 PM
No reason to complain. Its a magazine show. We will just continue to be a well run club and let them chit chat about whatever they want. Its basically Loose Women for football.

Not when his articles are published on the BBC website.

mjhibby
14-05-2020, 01:08 PM
For any other station I'd agree but the BBC is the state national broadcaster and should be held to a higher standard of journalism.

Exactly. It’s actually an utter waste of a programme tbh but its the bbc for gods sake.

calumhibee1
14-05-2020, 01:10 PM
https://twitter.com/plzsoccer/status/1260910230650662915?s=21

Morton chief exec on here at 4pm. Could be interesting around the ICT issue

Rumble de Thump
14-05-2020, 01:11 PM
Agreed. As someone said above, saying "I'm telling on you..!" to his Mum is a bit thin-skinned and snowflake-y.

He's doing what Keith Jackson, Chris Sutton, Derek Johnston and Hugh Keevins etc etc do and become a lightning rod, drawing the ire and fire of one side. One day, he will forget to "ground" himself and the lightning will hurt.

Burny, burny…..

Is anyone seriously contacting his mum about him not doing his job properly?

Greenbeard

Will BBC be able to measure any reduction in listeners? Doubt it. At least not accurately. A better course of action is to stop reading any of his online articles. The "view/read" stats for his articles will be monitored. Problem is, with his inflammatory nature, even folk who don't like what he is saying will likely be attracted to read his stuff just to see what garbage he is pontificating about, maybe even to comment on it. Instead, resist the temptation and JUST DON'T CLICK ON ANY ONLINE ARTICLE ATTRIBUTED TO HIM, no matter how tempting. Drive down his stats.

jacomo
It’s crazy.

Folk that don’t listen want to complain along with those who don’t pay the licence fee!!

If you don’t pay for it you kinda lose all rights to complain I’d have thought.

Every household should pay the licence fee. We do and I am a passionate defender of the BBC. Its funding model allows it to do things differently from other media organisations, and it is genuinely envied across the world.

The BBC is not immune to criticism, however.

I think the media in general serves Scottish football very badly, and it is hurting the game we love in all sorts of ways. This has been highlighted again in recent weeks, when the media has exploited the situation for clicks rather than try and explain what is happening or investigate what has gone wrong.

The Spaceman
14-05-2020, 01:14 PM
Sorry lads, but crrringe. We are not four-year-olds like our pink chums.

The 90+2
14-05-2020, 01:18 PM
I’m watching it and the more I watch it the more I believe he is playing a character. I’ve thought that for a while and this is just adding to it.

Seems a good lad.

Think he’s admitted he plays a character in a lot of the shows he does as dumb as it’s the persona that’s made him money.

Future17
14-05-2020, 01:33 PM
Is anyone seriously contacting his mum about him not doing his job properly?

His mum? No. Aunty? Yes.

WhileTheChief..
14-05-2020, 01:35 PM
Every household should pay the licence fee. We do and I am a passionate defender of the BBC. Its funding model allows it to do things differently from other media organisations, and it is genuinely envied across the world.

I think the media in general serves Scottish football very badly, and it is hurting the game we love in all sorts of ways. This has been highlighted again in recent weeks, when the media has exploited the situation for clicks rather than try and explain what is happening or investigate what has gone wrong.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just think it's a bit rich that someone who doesn't pay for a service thinks it's ok to complain about that service.

Anyone who has complained gonna post their complaint on here for us all to see?!!

easty
14-05-2020, 01:37 PM

Why stop there?

I’ve decided I don’t feel the BBC or OFCOM will deal with this sufficiently and have written directly to the queen. I assume she’s still working from home during Coronavirus?

Peevemor
14-05-2020, 01:42 PM
Message sent.

"I write to express my concern at recent articles attributed to BBC Scotland's chief sports writer, Tom English. The recent proposal of the SPFL board on how to end the Scottish football season was accepted by 81% of the 42 member clubs. A subsequent bid by Rangers to open an independent enquiry into the conduct of the SPFL's chief executive and it's legal advisor was supported by only 13 of the 42 clubs. Instead of accurately reporting the overwhelming support of the SPFL board shown by the member clubs, Mr English seems determined to paint a different picture - mass dissension, chaos and incompetence. There is a small, but very vocal minority of clubs who are unhappy with the results of the two recent votes. Is it normal that Mr English should side with these clubs and present exclusively their point of view while being paid to do so by a public information service, ie. the BBC? Would a neutral stance not be more appropriate as well as less damaging for the SPFL at this difficult time?"

Sorry if that makes me look like a brokebacker or a 4 year old. I'm just happy to get it off my chest.

SuperAllyMcleod
14-05-2020, 02:23 PM

The media could serve Scottish football better but BBC Scotland are doing a better job than almost anyone else (with possibly the exception of BT Sport prior to their contract ending - but at an additional cost) - and I know you haven’t specifically said they aren’t.

With a daily radio show or podcast, off the ball, TV highlights shows at least once a week and live coverage of The Championship and some Cup Games. Compared to STV and the other independent radio channels it’s an enormous amount. I think we need to be grateful for what they do and allow them the odd roaster on their shows.

14-05-2020, 02:28 PM

I'm not pretending. I honestly think they've done as well as they could given the circumstances.

It was the clubs who put the voting system in place. There's no use complaining because you're not happy with results - especially those as emphatic as the last two.

👍👍👍

matty_f
14-05-2020, 02:31 PM

I think that's called being "willfully ignorant" and it's really frustrating - they ignore evidence and information because it doesn't suit, or like you say, they pretend not to understand it.

It was like that time on here where someone (can't remember who) pretended they didn't understand the "Lennon has the biggest budget" situation and then ignored the explanation and quotes that explained it all :faf:

EI255
14-05-2020, 02:35 PM

Just don't listen. There are so many other options available to get news and views on Scottish football these days. The BBC don't hold any kind of monopoly. I'm convinced some people continue to listen to Sportsound just to be annoyed by it.He won't get sacked but he will be told about this. I wouldn't feel comfortable in my job if my boss told me there'd been numerous complaints about me.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

mcohibs
14-05-2020, 02:44 PM
Message sent.

"I write to express my concern at recent articles attributed to BBC Scotland's chief sports writer, Tom English. The recent proposal of the SPFL board on how to end the Scottish football season was accepted by 81% of the 42 member clubs. A subsequent bid by Rangers to open an independent enquiry into the conduct of the SPFL's chief executive and it's legal advisor was supported by only 13 of the 42 clubs. Instead of accurately reporting the overwhelming support of the SPFL board shown by the member clubs, Mr English seems determined to paint a different picture - mass dissension, chaos and incompetence. There is a small, but very vocal minority of clubs who are unhappy with the results of the two recent votes. Is it normal that Mr English should side with these clubs and present exclusively their point of view while being paid to do so by a public information service, ie. the BBC? Would a neutral stance not be more appropriate as well as less damaging for the SPFL at this difficult time?"

Sorry if that makes me look like a brokebacker or a 4 year old. I'm just happy to get it off my chest.

Aye let's just have everyone on shows that are meant to encourage conversation and debate take a 'neutral' stance and all just agree with each other. That will be really entertaining won't it. What a load of nonsense. 'Outrage' culture at its finest. Jim Traynor would be proud of that statement

Brightside
14-05-2020, 02:45 PM
Not when his articles are published on the BBC website.

I wouldnt read them. I couldnt care less what he says and the vast majority of football fans arent bothered either. I think people have just ran out of things to rage about right now.:greengrin

Peevemor
14-05-2020, 02:52 PM
Aye let's just have everyone on shows that are meant to encourage conversation and debate take a 'neutral' stance and all just agree with each other. That will be really entertaining won't it. What a load of nonsense. 'Outrage' culture at its finest. Jim Traynor would be proud of that statement

Where do I speak about "shows"? I commented on his articles, ie. news, published on the BBC website.

It'd be better if you properly read what's been written before criticising.

jacomo
14-05-2020, 06:06 PM

I think you are wildly off the mark here.

It is Tom English’s job as BBC Scotland’s chief sports writer that’s the issue here.

If he wants to be a pundit or shock jock fine - but he should resign from his current job first.

FilipinoHibs
14-05-2020, 06:11 PM
Why stop there?

I’ve decided I don’t feel the BBC or OFCOM will deal with this sufficiently and have written directly to the queen. I assume she’s still working from home during Coronavirus?

Pointless she is part of the conspiracy.

Lago
14-05-2020, 06:25 PM
Of course it is.

Sammy7nil
14-05-2020, 06:55 PM
Just listened to today's podcast hardly a peep about the on going issues. May be BBC have got your message or Tom has moved on.

PaulSmith
14-05-2020, 07:55 PM
Really, some are that offended by an opinion of a sports journalist that they take the time to write to the BBC?

Each to their own and all that but it seems a little bonkers.

Danderhall Hibs
14-05-2020, 07:59 PM
I don’t get the big deal - we should be adult enough to be able to listen to both sides of an argument. All this “I had to switch it off” nonsense is a bit immature.

Peevemor
14-05-2020, 08:12 PM
Really, some are that offended by an opinion of a sports journalist that they take the time to write to the BBC?

Each to their own and all that but it seems a little bonkers.His opinion doesn't offend me. The fact that he's using his position at the BBC as a véhicule to promote it (whilst getting paid for doing so), does.

PaulSmith
14-05-2020, 08:50 PM
His opinion doesn't offend me. The fact that he's using his position at the BBC as a véhicule to promote it (whilst getting paid for doing so), does.

There will be hundreds of thousands who think he does have a valid opinion.

As I said it just seems bonkers to actually take the time to email his employer and put forward that his opinion is wrong and as such he should be taken off the air..or whatever it is that the complainers want to happen.

The BBC or not he’ll be paid to be provide an alternative view and make the show as interesting as possible. The complaints will be seen as him doing a good job [emoji122]

Peevemor
14-05-2020, 09:00 PM

As I said it just seems bonkers to actually take the time to email his employer and put forward that his opinion is wrong and as such he should be taken off the air..or whatever it is that the complainers want to happen.

The BBC or not he’ll be paid to be provide an alternative view and make the show as interesting as possible. The complaints will be seen as him doing a good job [emoji122]

I didn't do that and you're missing the point.

I'm not on about the shows/discussions. In that situation you expect and indeed need people to express their opinions.

Even though I disagree with his opinion he's entitled to it and it doesn't offend me.

It's his written pieces on the BBC website that bother me. Instead of simply reporting facts he's been editorialising everything. That's not what the BBC is there for.

If you read a match report, you expect a fairly accurate reflection of what went on. Why should this be any different?

Eyrie
14-05-2020, 09:52 PM
I don’t get the big deal - we should be adult enough to be able to listen to both sides of an argument. All this “I had to switch it off” nonsense is a bit immature.

I don't listen to Sportsound but from reading about it on here it's clear that the major problem is that it doesn't present both sides.

147lothian
14-05-2020, 11:06 PM

TE is not a pundit he's the BBC Chief sports writer. He therefore is not in a position to put forward an opinion, he is there to report the facts.

The complaints will not be seen as him doing a good job for going along with tittle tattle and gossip rather than facts, if there are any self respecting supporters of The Rangers they must be thinking what is Stuart Robertson doing making accusations of bullying against the spfl without any proof, this would never have happenend in Donald Findley's day, they have made themselves look foolish in their blatant attempt to stop 9iar, and have brought the game in Scotland into disrepute as has TE for ponying upto them when he knew they never had any evidence.

Danderhall Hibs
14-05-2020, 11:28 PM
I don't listen to Sportsound but from reading about it on here it's clear that the major problem is that it doesn't present both sides.

Folk switch off when they don’t agree with someone so this isn’t the best place to take information to form an opinion.

SMAXXA
14-05-2020, 11:43 PM

I don’t see it as being adult enough not willing to listen to both sides which I absolutely do in everything I do in life and which I have done with TE. It’s his inability to see the other sides of the debate that stretch from what his beliefs or id go as far as say his agenda is. I feel he’s been biased and actually pretty crass in his personal attack on Neil Doncaster. I have never been a massive fan or a fan at all of Doncaster but I don’t agree with the constant criticism by TE.

He is doing his best to bring our game down in a time when we need to build it up, after that vote the other day he spent all his time focusing on the minority of 30 odd percent rather than be balanced and respect the democratic result. He kept pushing it and it was actually doing my head in, and I got the Impression his fellow pundits were also getting a bit tired of his bile.

I’d happily not hear or read another thing from the man. I also didn’t understand the dig he took at Dempster a couple of weeks ago either, ***k him.

bigwheel
15-05-2020, 01:19 AM
TE is not a pundit he's the BBC Chief sports writer. He therefore is not in a position to put forward an opinion, he is there to report the facts.

The complaints will not be seen as him doing a good job for going along with tittle tattle and gossip rather than facts, if there are any self respecting supporters of The Rangers they must be thinking what is Stuart Robertson doing making accusations of bullying against the spfl without any proof, this would never have happenend in Donald Findley's day, they have made themselves look foolish in their blatant attempt to stop 9iar, and have brought the game in Scotland into disrepute as has TE for ponying upto them when he knew they never had any evidence.

Opinions, editorials, comments or analysis are all part of modern day journalism.....writing is no longer only about reporting facts...

My take on English is that he tries to sensationalise stories, and too often doesn’t blend the balance of different opinions...it makes his work much weaker..it’s a pity, because at his best he is a decent writer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
15-05-2020, 06:24 AM
I don’t see it as being adult enough not willing to listen to both sides which I absolutely do in everything I do in life and which I have done with TE. It’s his inability to see the other sides of the debate that stretch from what his beliefs or id go as far as say his agenda is. I feel he’s been biased and actually pretty crass in his personal attack on Neil Doncaster. I have never been a massive fan or a fan at all of Doncaster but I don’t agree with the constant criticism by TE.

He is doing his best to bring our game down in a time when we need to build it up, after that vote the other day he spent all his time focusing on the minority of 30 odd percent rather than be balanced and respect the democratic result. He kept pushing it and it was actually doing my head in, and I got the Impression his fellow pundits were also getting a bit tired of his bile.

I’d happily not hear or read another thing from the man. I also didn’t understand the dig he took at Dempster a couple of weeks ago either, ***k him.

You make some good points - I think he’s normally a decent pundit but on this occasion he’s dug a hole and he can’t get out.

It’s not helped that there doesn’t appear to be anyone on the panel able to challenge him and guys like Doncaster won’t allow him to speak to them (which seems to be like a red tag to a bull).

Green_one
15-05-2020, 07:54 AM
I am not clear why some are defending him or recommending simply not listening

He talks @@@@ constantly , no-one even contradicts him but rather supports him and WE are paying for that. Annoying?

But the biggest thing for me is that all this is deliberately damaging Scottish football and therefore Hibs. Who would sponsor a league where some of the clubs are openly at war with the authority and the media slate almost daily? The answer is obviously NOBODY

Yes it’s not just English but I do not pay Budge

jacomo
15-05-2020, 07:55 AM
You make some good points - I think he’s normally a decent pundit but on this occasion he’s dug a hole and he can’t get out.

It’s not helped that there doesn’t appear to be anyone on the panel able to challenge him and guys like Doncaster won’t allow him to speak to them (which seems to be like a red tag to a bull).

If I was Neil Doncaster I wouldn’t be speaking to him either.

Again, TE can be as partisan and belligerent as he wants, but not while he holds the job he has.

SMAXXA
15-05-2020, 07:58 AM

I think that’s a really good point and also a point of frustration it seems that the are just happy to sit back and let him run with whatever drivel he wants time and time again. To be fair to M Stewart he tends to challenge him and chick young did the other day but in the main I don’t think there is enough genuine debate, turned more info a forum to rant and push your own agenda.

Daniel 1875
15-05-2020, 08:40 AM
I am not clear why some are defending him or recommending simply not listening

He talks @@@@ constantly , no-one even contradicts him but rather supports him and WE are paying for that. Annoying?

But the biggest thing for me is that all this is deliberately damaging Scottish football and therefore Hibs. Who would sponsor a league where some of the clubs are openly at war with the authority and the media slate almost daily? The answer is obviously NOBODY

Yes it’s not just English but I do not pay Budge

I find this argument strange. We shouldn’t say a bad word about the league in case it puts sponsors etc off even if it’s not being run as well as it could be?

There are 30% of clubs in the SPFL who feel an inquiry would answer some questions around the way the last 8 weeks has been handled. Among them are clubs with no serious threat of relegation/rivals winning anything (Livi, Aberdeen etc).

Should the BBC panel be full of people saying there’s nothing to see here and pretending the SPFL have done a stellar job? That’s hardly representative of the current situation when 1/3 of the clubs want to see some form of investigation.

I’d love to know what ‘agenda’ people think English has in this, he’s called a Rangers man one minute and then the next thing comes along and he says something which makes him a dyed in the wool Celtic fan.

If you don’t agree with what he says and don’t like the fact there’s an opinion on the radio or BBC website which isn’t straight down the middle then just don’t listen or click.

matty_f
15-05-2020, 08:59 AM
I think that’s a really good point and also a point of frustration it seems that the are just happy to sit back and let him run with whatever drivel he wants time and time again. To be fair to M Stewart he tends to challenge him and chick young did the other day but in the main I don’t think there is enough genuine debate, turned more info a forum to rant and push your own agenda.

Danderhall is right that it comes down to folk on the show not being switched on enough to challenge him.

If you take the show with Doncaster explaining that the SPFL has already advanced clubs the most they could without knowing final league placings, not one person on the show understood it, including the host, English, and Michael Stewart.

It was a really simple concept to grasp (unless they didn't want to).

Journalists don't have the football perspective that ex-players turned pundits bring, but when the conversation turns to stuff like this the footballers are hopelessly out of their depth in the main, while English should be expected to understand the nuances of the points, he's dug himself into a hole so to understand them would involve him backtracking and admitting he was wrong.

I wouldn't complain about it, Sportsound is an opinion-based show and so I accept that I'm not going to agree with everything and everyone on it all the time.

This story has been handled really badly though, and really the BBC have a responsibility to do better with reporting it and ensuring that their listeners understand the detail - they've failed if they can't even get their panel of experts to understand.

Andy74
15-05-2020, 09:03 AM
I find this argument strange. We shouldn’t say a bad word about the league in case it puts sponsors etc off even if it’s not being run as well as it could be?

There are 30% of clubs in the SPFL who feel an inquiry would answer some questions around the way the last 8 weeks has been handled. Among them are clubs with no serious threat of relegation/rivals winning anything (Livi, Aberdeen etc).

Should the BBC panel be full of people saying there’s nothing to see here and pretending the SPFL have done a stellar job? That’s hardly representative of the current situation when 1/3 of the clubs want to see some form of investigation.

I’d love to know what ‘agenda’ people think English has in this, he’s called a Rangers man one minute and then the next thing comes along and he says something which makes him a dyed in the wool Celtic fan.

If you don’t agree with what he says and don’t like the fact there’s an opinion on the radio or BBC website which isn’t straight down the middle then just don’t listen or click.

Clearly what people are saying is that he has focused on the story from the 1/3 of clubs rather than presenting any other side.

2/3 of clubs didn't see the need and there were lots of statements and evidence contradicting what the minority of clubs were saying. None of which has been covered by him at all.

Peevemor
15-05-2020, 09:17 AM

That's my point though. People should be able to read an unbiased account on the BBC website.

As I posted before, you expect a match report to give information on the match as it happened - without bias toward either side.

Click on any report here - https://www.bbc.com/news/uk - in general you'll find simple reports on what's been going on without a strong editorial line.

Why should anything different be acceptable when it comes to coverage of SPFL business?

Greenbeard
15-05-2020, 09:21 AM
I refuse to read or comment on this thread.

Brizo
15-05-2020, 09:22 AM
I would imagine the likes of English is working on a freelance basis with the BBC even if he's badged as being Chief Reporter. It allows him, Stewart and the other pundits / commentators to do work elsewhere without having to worry about a conflict of interest with the BBC. It also allows the BBC to remove anyone from the airwaves at short notice, as they temporarily did with Stewart, without having to worry about employment law. It should therefore be relatively easy for them to bin him.

Problem is. i'm guessing the BBC and English know exactly what they're doing here. At a time when there's nothing on the pitch to talk about if the likes of English etc accepted Doncasters take on things, a three hour Saturday Sportsound would be reduced to reminiscences of old games. It suits their purposes to fill otherwise dead air time with conspiracy theories and contributors taking "controversial" opposing viewpoints.

That doesn't detract from English being a total phanny, although in that regard he's in good company with the likes of Doddsy and the rest.

BBC Scotland sports coverage is dumbed down for a reason and that's because they are following commercial sports stations who have flourished with contributors whose remit isn't to report football but to generate controversial "debate"

The only thing the BBC will be concerned with is listening figures and while putting in complaints is great , I think the main thing they'll listen to is the sound of people switching off.

15-05-2020, 09:25 AM

Of the 13 clubs that wanted the investigation, arguably only Livingston, East Fife, Forfar, Annan and Stenhousemuir weren't voting in self-interest. All the others are currently losing out in some way or other. Plus I'd cast doubt over Stenhousemuir due to the Chairman's Orange Order connections.

16 clubs that had nothing to gain or lose voted against the inquiry and I've excluded the clubs with representatives on the SPFL board.

I'd argue you are wrong to suggest Aberdeen are neutral, they are going to lose out on the guaranteed European place by a point.

Do you actually believe the motives behind the Rangers dossier nonsense is just about them wanting to ensure good governance and nothing to do with revenge against Doncaster / SPFL plus trying to get null and void?

5 Championship clubs are saying Scott Gardiner of Inverness, along with Rangers and Hearts, were trying to get null and void. No matter which side anyone believes it should discussed by Sportsound but it hasn't, it is massive and they have completely ignored it. What is your explanation for that?

Daniel 1875
15-05-2020, 09:34 AM
That's my point though. People should be able to read an unbiased account on the BBC website.

As I posted before, you expect a match report to give information on the match as it happened - without bias toward either side.

Click on any report here - https://www.bbc.com/news/uk - in general you'll find simple reports on what's been going on without a strong editorial line.

Why should anything different be acceptable when it comes to coverage of SPFL business?

The difference is that the pieces Tom English writes for the BBC Sport website are in the main features rather than news pieces, they are not supposed to be written in the same way as match reports.

See the difference between these pieces reporting on the vote from the BBC, news pieces with no byline and no opinions. They report the facts as news to inform the reader what's happened.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52631918

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52638850

Now have a look at Tom English's feature pieces on the SPFL, all of which contain his name and photograph and can be found under the features heading online, and therefore clearly suggest what he is writing is his own take on things.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52472024

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52521281

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52311090

Away from the SPFL vote, see English's opinion piece on Steven Gerrard's struggles at Rangers (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51750558). He's been writing opinion stuff for the BBC since he left the papers and he's continuing to do so on the latest news in Scottish football at the moment.

It's the BBC equivalent of a column in a newspaper, he's paid to give his take on matters as they arise. They are not being put forward as news and no one is pretending they are straight down the middle.

He's been given a platform to share his opinion on things, if you don't agree or like what he says that's entirely up to the reader/listener, but any complaints from people who don't agree with what he is saying will be filed along with the rest of them from Ibrox and Celtic Park on a rotational basis.

This is storm in a teacup stuff, if what he was writing about was anti-Rangers or anti-Hearts this thread wouldn't exist.

18Craig75
15-05-2020, 09:36 AM

I agree with all of this. Whilst not agreeing with his position initially I at least considered it and respected it. The longer it’s gone on the more he’s become entrenched in his own opinion and unwilling to accept any evidence contrary to his opinion. He actually twists evidence to suit his own opinion!

I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but I now fully believe he’s trying to continue this drama to keep himself in job. I’m sure he’s on a big salary and if there’s no sport to write about, what do you need a chief sports writer for?

Scottish football is at a cross roads - we all need to pull in the same direction for SURVIVAL, he’s actively trying to pull us in the opposite direction and it’s important he’s held to task due to the platform he has.

matty_f
15-05-2020, 09:38 AM
The difference is that the pieces Tom English writes for the BBC Sport website are in the main features rather than news pieces, they are not supposed to be written in the same way as match reports.

See the difference between these pieces reporting on the vote from the BBC, news pieces with no byline and no opinions. They report the facts as news to inform the reader what's happened.

Now have a look at Tom English's feature pieces on the SPFL, all of which contain his name and photograph and can be found under the features heading online, and therefore clearly suggest what he is writing is his own take on things.

Away from the SPFL vote, see English's opinion piece on Steven Gerrard's struggles at Rangers (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51750558). He's been writing opinion stuff for the BBC since he left the papers and he's continuing to do so on the latest news in Scottish football at the moment.

It's the BBC equivalent of a column in a newspaper, he's paid to give his take on matters as they arise. They are not being put forward as news and no one is pretending they are straight down the middle.

He's been given a platform to share his opinion on things, if you don't agree or like what he says that's entirely up to the reader/listener, but any complaints from people who don't agree with what he is saying will be filed along with the rest of them from Ibrox and Celtic Park on a rotational basis.

This is storm in a teacup stuff, if what he was writing about was anti-Rangers or anti-Hearts this thread wouldn't exist.

Good post. :agree:

Daniel 1875
15-05-2020, 09:38 AM
Of the 13 clubs that wanted the investigation, arguably only Livingston, East Fife, Forfar, Annan and Stenhousemuir weren't voting in self-interest. All the others are currently losing out in some way or other. Plus I'd cast doubt over Stenhousemuir due to the Chairman's Orange Order connections.

16 clubs that had nothing to gain or lose voted against the inquiry and I've excluded the clubs with representatives on the SPFL board.

I'd argue you are wrong to suggest Aberdeen are neutral, they are going to lose out on the guaranteed European place by a point.

Do you actually believe the motives behind the Rangers dossier nonsense is just about them wanting to ensure good governance and nothing to do with revenge against Doncaster / SPFL plus trying to get null and void?

5 Championship clubs are saying Scott Gardiner of Inverness, along with Rangers and Hearts, were trying to get null and void. No matter which side anyone believes it should discussed by Sportsound but it hasn't, it is massive and they have completely ignored it. What is your explanation for that?

I'm not saying anything about the Rangers dossier, I'm saying there are unanswered questions with how the SPFL is run and how it has been run for years. Just because the complaints on this occasion are coming from teams we aren't supposed to agree with doesn't mean we need to turn into the Old Firm and disregard things based on who the complainer is this time.

Part of the problem is a culture has been created with the voting system which means every single vote will come down to self-interest - a wider look at how things are run would give everyone a chance to assess if that's still the best way for it to work.

Rumble de Thump
15-05-2020, 09:50 AM
I'm not saying anything about the Rangers dossier, I'm saying there are unanswered questions with how the SPFL is run and how it has been run for years. Just because the complaints on this occasion are coming from teams we aren't supposed to agree with doesn't mean we need to turn into the Old Firm and disregard things based on who the complainer is this time.

Part of the problem is a culture has been created with the voting system which means every single vote will come down to self-interest - a wider look at how things are run would give everyone a chance to assess if that's still the best way for it to work.

The complaints were fabricated by certain people in an effort to further their own agendas. Something Tom English still hasn't managed to report.

Peevemor
15-05-2020, 09:51 AM

When you click on your very first link, the "straight" report finishes with this from English.

"'Highly improbable that the story ends here'
BBC Scotland chief sports writer Tom English

And so the spin begins. Twenty-seven votes against having an independent inquiry and 13 votes for; 64% of clubs against the investigation into the SPFL's corporate governance and 31% went in favour.

If you're Neil Doncaster and the SPFL board you're saying that enough clubs have spoken and this should be the end of the most divisive chapter in the history of the organisation. If you're on the other side you're pointing out that one third of the top flight want this examination to take place and that 40% of the First and Second Division clubs combined gave their backing to the inquiry.

Save for Inverness, the Championship was a wipeout for those who were calling for a probe into what went on or didn't go on. The numbers are there to be interpreted and fought over - and they will be. Nothing will change there. We now know the result but, in a sense, we don't know the endgame because it's highly improbable that the story ends here regardless of the SPFL board wanting that to be the case.

Rangers said at the weekend "this episode is far from finished". We await their next move. And their next statement. And the ones from different places that come in its wake. Seconds out. Round two."

Had it been quotes from any of the interested parties tagged on at the end then fair enough, but it's heavily slanted editorial which is mixed in with the report.

Peevemor
15-05-2020, 09:57 AM

The power is currently with the member clubs, who vote to a system that they set up (even though from memory, it wasn't straightforward). The SPL (now SPFL) was originally a breakaway, instigated because the clubs didn't like the way they were administered.

What was proposed by Rangers wasn't a report on how the SPFL could be improved, but an investigation into the alleged misconduct of 2 individuals - nothing to do with the points you're raising.

What team do you support out of interest?

Daniel 1875
15-05-2020, 10:04 AM
The power is currently with the member clubs, who vote to a system that they set up (even though from memory, it wasn't straightforward). The SPL (now SPFL) was originally a breakaway, instigated because the clubs didn't like the way they were administered.

What was proposed by Rangers wasn't a report on how the SPFL could be improved, but an investigation into the alleged misconduct of 2 individuals - nothing to do with the points you're raising.

What team do you support out of interest?

The inquiry was to review the processes and decisions made to arrive at where we find ourselves - you think nothing could have been conducted better and I disagree. Publishing the results of a vote before it was finished was a monumental error and the SPFL failing to see that has caused further fall outs.

They are in charge on the game in this country and they’ve allowed a situation to develop where clubs are battering each other with words in the national press. It’s got out of hand and it’s their responsibility to manage and promote the game in Scotland.

I’m a Hibs fan, by the way.

Peevemor
15-05-2020, 10:15 AM
The inquiry was to review the processes and decisions made to arrive at where we find ourselves - you think nothing could have been conducted better and I disagree. Publishing the results of a vote before it was finished was a monumental error and the SPFL failing to see that has caused further fall outs.

They are in charge on the game in this country and they’ve allowed a situation to develop where clubs are battering each other with words in the national press. It’s got out of hand and it’s their responsibility to manage and promote the game in Scotland.

The 'result before the vote was finished' thing is a false issue. Docaster explained why he released the figures - idf he hadn't it would have been either leaked or worked-out during the next couple of days. And even had Dundee voted no initially, they could still have changed to a yes in any case.

Things have only "got out of hand" due to the coverage given to the aggrieved minority. This is more down to Tom English and the like as opposed to anything the SPFL hierarchy have done.

18Craig75
15-05-2020, 11:48 AM

I agree with all of this. Whilst not agreeing with his position initially I at least considered it and respected it. The longer it’s gone on the more he’s become entrenched in his own opinion and unwilling to accept any evidence contrary to his opinion. He actually twists evidence to suit his own opinion!

I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but I now fully believe he’s trying to continue this drama to keep himself in job. I’m sure he’s on a big salary and if there’s no sport to write about, what do you need a chief sports writer for?

Scottish football is at a cross roads - we all need to pull in the same direction for SURVIVAL, he’s actively trying to pull us in the opposite direction and it’s important he’s held to task due to the platform he has.

mcohibs
15-05-2020, 11:53 AM

Spot on.

Sammy7nil
15-05-2020, 12:11 PM

me too :aok:

Yes it would but it would be on Kickback and Follow Follow

Peevemor
15-05-2020, 12:15 PM
Spot on.Except it isn't.

WhileTheChief..
15-05-2020, 01:01 PM

You’re well paced to fire off a complaint to the admins then :greengrin

Greenbeard
15-05-2020, 01:36 PM
You’re well paced to fire off a complaint to the admins then :greengrin
I might just......damn it, just done it again.

jacomo
15-05-2020, 02:45 PM

Sorry but this is not quite the case.

The Rangers alleged serious misdemeanours such as bullying and possible corruption, so serious that they demanded the immediate suspension of Neil Doncaster and the lawyer.

When the much delayed dossier was finally released, it made no such claims: it was all pretty turgid stuff about procedural failures etc.

The governance and leadership of Scottish football could definitely be improved. But I am not surprised the clubs threw out this request for an inquiry, as it seemed confused and motivated by a desire for muck-raking.

I do hope, though, that more wide ranging reform is on the way. The problem is that everything is seen through an Old Firm prism, and I am not sure how you fix that.

Beefster
15-05-2020, 03:05 PM
Do folk write uppity emails to the BBC every time one of their employees has an opinion they don’t like? What about Sky or Dave or Eurosport, given you’re paying for them too?

IMHO writing letters because a man on the TV/Radio/Paper said something you don’t like is just cringey af. It’s like those folk that complain to Ofcom when a journalist asks their favourite ****hole politician a difficult question.

greenpaper55
15-05-2020, 03:14 PM
Do folk write uppity emails to the BBC every time one of their employees has an opinion they don’t like? What about Sky or Dave or Eurosport, given you’re paying for them too?

IMHO writing letters because a man on the TV/Radio/Paper said something you don’t like is just cringey af. It’s like those folk that complain to Ofcom when a journalist asks their favourite ****hole politician a difficult question.

I don't mind opinions, even when i don't agree with them but English is running a vendetta.

Smartie
15-05-2020, 04:05 PM
I couldn't disagree with English more on this subject, but I think sending complaints in to the BBC is plain weird.

The general opinion on Sportsound at the moment is not, in my opinion, reflective of football fans around Scotland but one that reflects the opinions of the people involved in the programme, and if the people involved are a wee bit sentimentally swayed towards Hearts and Rangers then that's not unexpected.

Spike Mandela
15-05-2020, 04:11 PM
I couldn't disagree with English more on this subject, but I think sending complaints in to the BBC is plain weird.

The general opinion on Sportsound at the moment is not, in my opinion, reflective of football fans around Scotland but that it reflects the opinions of the people involved in the programme, and if the people involved are a wee bit sentimentally swayed towards Hearts and Rangers then that's not unexpected.

It works for Rangers fans. They complain presenters get dropped.

Smartie
15-05-2020, 04:17 PM
It works for Rangers fans. They complain presenters get dropped.

They're dicks and their behaviour should not be encouraged or copied.

Hibs1969
15-05-2020, 05:23 PM
Complaining to a broadcaster/newspaper about a journalist who expresses an opinion which is unpopular on here is all a bit Sevco for me. He’s paid to express his opinion, even if we don’t like it.

I Would however agree that English seems to have an unnatural obsession with Dr Budge and can apparently see no wrong in anything she does or says but he’ll end up looking pretty stupid over that one.

Peevemor
15-05-2020, 05:41 PM
I don't think anyone has complained to the BBC about his opinion. My issue is that the BBC are putting his opinion on centre stage, even when reporting vote results etc.

There's a huge difference.

81% of clubs voted for "calling" the season. Then only 13 clubs out of 42 voted for Rangers investigation.

Has the BBC reported how good a job Doncaster and the SPFL board have done uniting so many clubs in a very difficult situation? No all they do is colour every report with English's opinion.

The BBC have an obligation to remain neutral but they haven't in this case. Far from it.

whiskyhibby
15-05-2020, 06:05 PM
When TE and Michael Stewart have the same opinion the balance on the show goes right out the window. None of the other pundits are intelligent enough to argue against them and when they do actually come up with a decent counter argument, TE and MS just bombard them to win the debate.

At the moment it seems like the others are just going along with their narrative because it is easier. You've only got to look at Stephen Thomson who came back on the show yesterday for the first time in a while and he just completely agreed with everything. What a waste of time it was having him on.

Not that long since Michael Stewart was suspended for having a view that didn’t tie in with the BBC Scotland narrative.....

Iggy Pope
15-05-2020, 06:28 PM
Complaining to a broadcaster/newspaper about a journalist who expresses an opinion which is unpopular on here is all a bit Sevco for me. He’s paid to express his opinion, even if we don’t like it.

I Would however agree that English seems to have an unnatural obsession with Dr Budge and can apparently see no wrong in anything she does or says but he’ll end up looking pretty stupid over that one.

Agreed. The complaining sentiment and some of the recent posts on other threads (particularly tonight) are making our numbers appear desperate for an outcome that we shouldn’t be all that desperate about.

A Hi-Bee
15-05-2020, 06:44 PM
I started another thread just wondering who this ****er Tam English was and what gave him rights to lump his inflated opinions onto us via the bbc.
He is a grade A roaster but not interested in complaints to the bbc, its better entertainment moaning about the twat on here.
Are you looking in bbc.

:flag::flag::flag: