PDA

View Full Version : Jason Naismith

04Sauzee
13-05-2020, 10:31 PM
An extract from the EEN. Hibs looking to extend his loan or sign him permanently

Describing his impact in the first half of the season as positive, Ross has made it clear he would like to test the water with regards either extending Naismith loan or agreeing a satisfactory deal to keep him at Easter Road on a more permanent basis. The former Inverness Caledonian Thistle player has made good progress in his fightback to full fitness and has announced a return to running, meaning he should be ready to participate fully in pre-season training, whenever teams are given the go-ahead to resume action.

The likelihood is that the Premiership will be called in the next few days but Naismith, provided he is permitted to stay, Mallan and Porteous still have other goals. The crocked trio had feared they would miss out on their shot at cup glory, with the Hibs v Hearts Scottish Cup semi-final at Hampden scheduled too early in their comeback. Porteous has similar concerns about the Scotland Euro play-offs but the postponement of both means they young defender and midfielder Mallan are also ready to get back in the mix.

The Harp Awakes
13-05-2020, 11:08 PM
An extract from the EEN. Hibs looking to extend his loan or sign him permanently

Describing his impact in the first half of the season as positive, Ross has made it clear he would like to test the water with regards either extending Naismith loan or agreeing a satisfactory deal to keep him at Easter Road on a more permanent basis. The former Inverness Caledonian Thistle player has made good progress in his fightback to full fitness and has announced a return to running, meaning he should be ready to participate fully in pre-season training, whenever teams are given the go-ahead to resume action.

The likelihood is that the Premiership will be called in the next few days but Naismith, provided he is permitted to stay, Mallan and Porteous still have other goals. The crocked trio had feared they would miss out on their shot at cup glory, with the Hibs v Hearts Scottish Cup semi-final at Hampden scheduled too early in their comeback. Porteous has similar concerns about the Scotland Euro play-offs but the postponement of both means they young defender and midfielder Mallan are also ready to get back in the mix.

Jason has had some decent games for Hibs and some not so good. I think he is a player that would be a regular in most SPL teams. Still not sure he is a top 4 SPL player but in fairness, he spent a good period of his loan injured so may be doing him an injustice.

Ozyhibby
13-05-2020, 11:14 PM

Former ICT player?[emoji849]

Naismith is a good right back and we def need one so happy if he signs. The injury is a concern though. I wonder if Gray will move to the non playing part of his contract?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vault Boy
14-05-2020, 03:15 AM
I rate Jason and think he's the best right back at the club just now, so hopefully we can get something done. I know we were confident about making his deal permanent before the pandemic, but I suppose it's very much up in the air now.

The Modfather
14-05-2020, 06:37 AM
I didn’t see a great deal of difference between McGinn and Naismith IMO. Both solid enough but as someone else mentioned, I have my doubts they’re of the quality to compete for the top 4, particularly on a consistent basis.

RossScott1991
14-05-2020, 07:02 AM
I didn’t see a great deal of difference between McGinn and Naismith IMO. Both solid enough but as someone else mentioned, I have my doubts they’re of the quality to compete for the top 4, particularly on a consistent basis.

I think we should try McGinn at CDM in some games next season. Seems quite a solid performer , defensive brain. Might be good in that role

Since452
14-05-2020, 07:13 AM
I'd have McGinn as first choice right back. Think he's been very consistent. He can also play just about anywhere on the park so I'd like Naismith too. Can never have too many good players.

Ozyhibby
14-05-2020, 07:45 AM
I'd have McGinn as first choice right back. Think he's been very consistent. He can also play just about anywhere on the park so I'd like Naismith too. Can never have too many good players.

We are paying quite a lot of right backs though.

Vault Boy
14-05-2020, 08:16 AM

Yep, trying to offload Tom James is quite important.

The Modfather
14-05-2020, 08:29 AM

I don’t think it’s an unreasonable suggestion in its own right to want both Naismith & McGinn, particulary with McGinn’s versatility. However, more generally, I think we have signed too much versatility. Whittaker, James, McGinn etc. You do have to build a squad, but I’d rather spend the wages of, for example, Naismith, Whittaker & McGinn (who have all played RB) on one, undisputed quality, RB starter to improve the team.

Ozyhibby
14-05-2020, 09:13 AM
Yep, trying to offload Tom James is quite important.

And extremely difficult in this market. We have to pray he is homesick and willing to take way less money somewhere. We are likely to have to pay him off in some way and it’s doubtful we will have the spare cash.

Nicho87
14-05-2020, 10:28 AM
I always liked Naismith.
Long term can see him being here for a good few years if we gave him a deal. Good age, decent ability, speaks highly of the club.
Could do a hell of a lot worse.

MWHIBBIES
14-05-2020, 11:01 AM
And extremely difficult in this market. We have to pray he is homesick and willing to take way less money somewhere. We are likely to have to pay him off in some way and it’s doubtful we will have the spare cash.

We could also just pray he shows his best form and does well for us?

Ozyhibby
14-05-2020, 11:07 AM
We could also just pray he shows his best form and does well for us?

I doubt we want that many right backs in the books though. Is it worth not signing Naismith to gamble on James coming good? Seems like a long shot.

PISTOL1875
14-05-2020, 11:18 AM
Naismith signing on the dotted line would be fantastic if Hibs could make it happen.. Our defence needs surgery to it and this would be a good starting point..

MWHIBBIES
14-05-2020, 12:05 PM
I doubt we want that many right backs in the books though. Is it worth not signing Naismith to gamble on James coming good? Seems like a long shot.

I just don't think praying on a young guy getting homesick is particularly nice, is it?

I'd rather support him.

B.H.F.C
14-05-2020, 12:55 PM
Naismith signing on the dotted line would be fantastic if Hibs could make it happen.. Our defence needs surgery to it and this would be a good starting point..

Our defence does need surgery but he has also been part of that defence. In fairness, I think he is probably the best of a pretty average bunch of right backs we had contracted this season.

Hibeesmad
14-05-2020, 01:00 PM
If Naismith was to come in then surely that would have to be the end for James? 4 right backs on the books would be a bit much? Potentially 5 if Whittaker stays another on.

PISTOL1875
14-05-2020, 02:06 PM
Our defence does need surgery but he has also been part of that defence. In fairness, I think he is probably the best of a pretty average bunch of right backs we had contracted this season.

Even when he wasn't playing we continued to ship goals left right and centre.. Clearly other players who are selected regularly must then be highlighted as problems..

B.H.F.C
14-05-2020, 02:25 PM
Even when he wasn't playing we continued to ship goals left right and centre.. Clearly other players who are selected regularly must then be highlighted as problems..

I don’t think you need to worry about that. Don’t think any of them have escaped their share of criticism this season.

PISTOL1875
15-05-2020, 11:11 AM
I don’t think you need to worry about that. Don’t think any of them have escaped their share of criticism this season.

I kinda do worry about it as there has been no improvement has there ??

MWHIBBIES
15-05-2020, 11:42 AM
I kinda do worry about it as there has been no improvement has there ??

The back 4 has improved significantly in the second half of the season. Still not good enough but the injuries haven't helped that.

PISTOL1875
15-05-2020, 11:55 AM
The back 4 has improved significantly in the second half of the season. Still not good enough but the injuries haven't helped that.

Mmmmmm not sure about that.. Not many clean sheets about since the season started after the break 4 clean sheets in 13 matches to be exact......

MWHIBBIES
15-05-2020, 01:42 PM
Mmmmmm not sure about that.. Not many clean sheets about since the season started after the break 4 clean sheets in 13 matches to be exact......

So roughly one in three? That is actually fine. If we managed that over a season I'd be delighted. In our first season back up we managed 13 in 46 games.

Also, defending is a team game, a back 4 isn't to blame for lack of clean sheets.

PISTOL1875
15-05-2020, 02:01 PM
So roughly one in three? That is actually fine. If we managed that over a season I'd be delighted. In our first season back up we managed 13 in 46 games.

Also, defending is a team game, a back 4 isn't to blame for lack of clean sheets.

If you are happy with that then fair play........

I expect a lot better........

In those 13 matches we also played 3 matches against teams from a Lower league opposition and couldn't stop those team scoring....

Also what has happened in previous seasons is old news now..

MWHIBBIES
15-05-2020, 02:48 PM
If you are happy with that then fair play........

I expect a lot better........

In those 13 matches we also played 3 matches against teams from a Lower league opposition and couldn't stop those team scoring....

Also what has happened in previous seasons is old news now..

Right, **** it, if you expect A LOT better than 1 in 3 lets do it. How does that compare to all the teams around the world.

Liverpool have 17 in 47 this season - slightly better than 1 in 3

Juventus have 12 in 39 - slightly worse than 1 in 3

Celtic have 22 in 53 - impressive actually

Barcelona have 11 in 38 - worse than 1 in 3

Bayern have 15 in 37 - better than 1 in 3, very good

So, basically, if you actually expect a lot better than 1 in 3 then you are supporting the wrong green Scottish team. Bayern are also a good option for you. Utter fantasy that you are getting better than 1 in 3 clean sheets supporting Hibs so don't waste your time.

PISTOL1875
15-05-2020, 06:02 PM
right, **** it, if you expect a lot better than 1 in 3 lets do it. How does that compare to all the teams around the world.

Liverpool have 17 in 47 this season - slightly better than 1 in 3

juventus have 12 in 39 - slightly worse than 1 in 3

celtic have 22 in 53 - impressive actually

barcelona have 11 in 38 - worse than 1 in 3

bayern have 15 in 37 - better than 1 in 3, very good

so, basically, if you actually expect a lot better than 1 in 3 then you are supporting the wrong green scottish team. Bayern are also a good option for you. Utter fantasy that you are getting better than 1 in 3 clean sheets supporting hibs so don't waste your time.

wow......................

I have properly reeled you in big time..

Away for a lie down mate.....

MWHIBBIES
15-05-2020, 06:58 PM
wow......................

I have properly reeled you in big time..

Away for a lie down mate.....

:faf:

Yeah, you've sure ''reeled'' me in. Or you've once again been shown up for talking rubbish. I know what is more likely.

PISTOL1875
15-05-2020, 10:11 PM

Yeah, you've sure ''reeled'' me in. Or you've once again been shown up for talking rubbish. I know what is more likely.

:na na::na na::na na::na na::na na::na na::na na::na na::na na:

Tobias Funke
16-05-2020, 12:22 AM

Pistol is well known for talking bags of sh*te on here. Best ignored.

Centre Hawf
16-05-2020, 03:00 AM
Personally if we have McGinn I’m not sure I’d keep Naismith unless we get rid of James, Whittaker, and we’re concerned with Gray going forward. Happy to keep him if we do but we need to address this stack of right backs vs the complete lack of depth behind Lewy.

GibbytheHibby2
16-05-2020, 03:35 AM

Roll back about 7 years and everyone was saying the same about Stevenson. Yawn. We can’t have an 11 full of superstars - it’s too costly and doesn’t always work. A blend of decent honest pros and quality will do me fine.

Ozyhibby
16-05-2020, 05:24 AM
Personally if we have McGinn I’m not sure I’d keep Naismith unless we get rid of James, Whittaker, and we’re concerned with Gray going forward. Happy to keep him if we do but we need to address this stack of right backs vs the complete lack of depth behind Lewy.

Whittaker is out of contract and it won’t be renewed. Still have too many right backs but Whittaker isn’t the problem.

Jones28
16-05-2020, 05:49 AM
I’d rather we were after O’Donnell from Killie who is out of contract.

Ozyhibby
16-05-2020, 06:03 AM

Excellent player and may just be affordable now.

Vault Boy
16-05-2020, 06:56 AM
Excellent player and may just be affordable now.

It's a fair point that a player like O'Donnell, who looked a dead cert to be joining an EFL club, might just have to reassess his options. I'd say it's still rather optimistic to think he'll be coming to Hibs, but the climate will be so different we'll just have to see.

We should definitely be pursuing a deal if he's interested though. He'd be first pick for years.

GlesgaeHibby
16-05-2020, 07:21 AM

Is he that good? I know many rate him, but he was utterly woeful when he played for Scotland. Looked way out his depth

Ozyhibby
16-05-2020, 07:36 AM
Is he that good? I know many rate him, but he was utterly woeful when he played for Scotland. Looked way out his depth

Really good going forward. Naismith decent going forward as well though. And we need a left back more.

supermcginn
16-05-2020, 09:21 AM

He's got 11 caps so he can't be that much out of place. He'd be a great start to a defensive overhaul for us.

Heisenberg
16-05-2020, 09:26 AM
O’Donnell is better than any right back we’ve got on our books and would be a solid player for years to come. Aberdeen were meant to be interested before and would imagine they will be again. I reckon we’ll sign Naismith and Tom James will go.

The 90+2
16-05-2020, 09:28 AM

Naismith is better than McGinn. A lot better.

The Modfather
16-05-2020, 09:36 AM

I think O’Donnell is a very good SPL player and of the quality go get us closer to competing for the top 4. He’s not international class though and but for our derth of RB options don’t think he’d have got much of a look in.

If possible, I’d transition Gray into his coaching role, not renew Whittaker’s contract and not re-sign Naismith and use their wages towards O’Donell. Also get rid of Janes if at all possible but not as easy an ask as the others.

The 90+2
16-05-2020, 09:38 AM
Roll back about 7 years and everyone was saying the same about Stevenson. Yawn. We can’t have an 11 full of superstars - it’s too costly and doesn’t always work. A blend of decent honest pros and quality will do me fine.

We are defensively weak though and it’s something that needs drastic improvement.

04Sauzee
16-05-2020, 09:41 AM

Better probably, A lot better not so. 2 great honest pros battling it out for right back.

Could also see Mcginn right of a back 3 and Naismith RWB should we have to go down that route

04Sauzee
16-05-2020, 09:42 AM

Naismith could be every bit as good if not better

The 90+2
16-05-2020, 10:01 AM
Better probably, A lot better not so. 2 great honest pros battling it out for right back.

Could also see Mcginn right of a back 3 and Naismith RWB should we have to go down that route

Naismith seemed a little rusty and was improving, he’s still at a very good age to improve still. I think he would be a tremendous long term right back for us.

McGinn could do a job there and is a very capable utility player who is probably close to Ross and a good player to have around but I don’t think he has it to make a strong starting line up for a team with aspirations to be top three.

CmoantheHibs
16-05-2020, 12:22 PM
I like Naismith but I wouldnt be signing anyone at the moment. Football will change and pretty much across the board there will be less money. I would imagine there will be a lot of good players out of contact looking for deals but the same quality and quantity of deals will not be available. This should mean that players who were previously outwith our resources becoming potential signings.

GlesgaeHibby
16-05-2020, 02:14 PM
Really good going forward. Naismith decent going forward as well though. And we need a left back more.

Agree that LB is our priority.

Speedy
16-05-2020, 09:27 PM
Best right back at the club imo. Missed him going forward.

Centre Hawf
16-05-2020, 10:25 PM
Whittaker is out of contract and it won’t be renewed. Still have too many right backs but Whittaker isn’t the problem.

I don't think Whittaker is "the problem" but he's one of far too many right backs.

I agree but McGinn is signed up for next season and can play right of a back 3 and probably better at CB than Naismith. Not sure if it's an extra wage we should spend out the budget if James doesn't leave (which I assume he will)

MWHIBBIES
16-05-2020, 10:42 PM
When did Whittaker actually last play right back? He is a midfielder now.

hibbysam
17-05-2020, 08:04 AM
When did Whittaker actually last play right back? He is a midfielder now.

Mental that people keep listing him in this. I’d also hazard a guess that he will have a renewal on his contract purely for his coaching side of it.

MWHIBBIES
17-05-2020, 08:14 AM
Mental that people keep listing him in this. I’d also hazard a guess that he will have a renewal on his contract purely for his coaching side of it.

I hope so. Wonderful footballer. 2 excellent feet, best touch at the club, years of experience in Europe and internationally. A huge asset if he has the desire to coach.