PDA

View Full Version : Steven Thompson - Big Clubs

Sammy7nil
13-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Steven Thompson on the Sportsound podcast claims 3 of Scotland's 4 "Biggest" clubs voted for The Rangers resolution.

Whilst I won't disagree with him it would be very interesting to hear what criteria he used to come to that conclusion.

Was it crowds, trophies won (does it matter if they were won 100 years ago?) turnover, number of administrations / bankruptcies, number of statements or number of chips sold?

What makes a club BIGGER than another?

Pretty Boy
13-05-2020, 04:26 PM
Hearts and Aberdeen have both won more than us and have comparable fan bases.

If people want to call them bigger then fair enough. We're better in so many ways.

Juniper Greens
13-05-2020, 04:27 PM
Steven Thompson on the Sportsound podcast claims 3 of Scotland's 4 "Biggest" clubs voted for The Rangers resolution.

Whilst I won't disagree with him it would be very interesting to hear what criteria he used to come to that conclusion.

Was it crowds, trophies won (does it matter if they were won 100 years ago?) turnover, number of administrations / bankruptcies, number of statements or number of chips sold?

It's a strange turn of phrase. I've always felt there are two biggest clubs then three big clubs. In my lifetime, we have arguably been the least big of the three, but over time it has changed that often that I don't feel there is much distinction.

theonlywayisup
13-05-2020, 04:28 PM

Does that include the big team that's days away from being a Championship club; a team that was marooned at the bottom of the Premiership?

Rumble de Thump
13-05-2020, 04:30 PM
Biggest tax case.

CMurdoch
13-05-2020, 04:32 PM
Based on the criteria of average home crowds Scotland has 2 big clubs and 4 good sized clubs. In order of average crowd those clubs are Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd.
Average home crowds are a good indicator because once you strip out TV and sponsorship money you can see the real size of a club. Bournemouth in the EPL are a small club, take away the TV money and sponsorship and there is nothing there.

Sudds_1
13-05-2020, 04:36 PM
Size aint everything....there's a thing called class....much more important😁

Sammy7nil
13-05-2020, 04:38 PM
Size aint everything....there's a thing called class....much more important😁

I keep telling the Mrs that :greengrin

PatHead
13-05-2020, 04:57 PM
He doesn't mention that 2 of those 3 clubs had a vested interest in voting no. Sevco to stop their main rivals winning another league and Hearts in an attempt to avoid relegation.
Shows what a mess Scottish football is in with both these basket cases at the"top" end.

Baader
13-05-2020, 04:58 PM
One club, one vote. That's democracy so his point is irrelevant.

The Count
13-05-2020, 05:00 PM
This bigger club arguement leaves me cold.Personally dont care who you support irrespective of size or we would all be supporting teams like Man Utd,Celtic,Real Madrid etc.Also i respect these guys that support your likes of Alloa,Bury,Orient etc.Its so easy to swan about saying your a Liverpool,Man Utd,Celtic etc fan.Lot more loyality required to supporting a smaller team.Hence i really dont care if we are a smaller team than Hearts.They seem to care though.

Billy Whizz
13-05-2020, 05:01 PM

He should be asked to comment on football on the field only

Liberal Hibby
13-05-2020, 05:02 PM
The phrase is taken directly from Newco's social media and/or club statement(s). So much for his 'neutral commentary'.

Billy Whizz
13-05-2020, 05:06 PM
The phrase is taken directly from Newco's social media and/or club statement(s). So much for his 'neutral commentary'.

It’s not on yesterday’s statement

Jim44
13-05-2020, 05:12 PM

Is this tw*t suggesting that ‘bigger’ clubs should have more say in a democratic vote between member clubs?

Joe6-2
13-05-2020, 05:17 PM
Is this tw*t suggesting that ‘bigger’ clubs should have more say in a democratic vote between member clubs?

Just what I was thinking!

Carheenlea
13-05-2020, 05:19 PM
Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen are all similarly sized clubs through my eyes and the arguments over who is "biggest" in order out of the three a bit of a pointless one.

Waxy
13-05-2020, 05:21 PM
Changes as we move along.Whoever has the most season ticket holders can claim they're the biggest i guess.
Hibs Hearts Aberdeen very similar size clubs.

Hibeesmad
13-05-2020, 05:29 PM
Do big clubs finish bottom of the league?

Tug Wilson
13-05-2020, 05:32 PM

This has no bearing on the vote. One club - one vote.

Typical Old Firm thinking that bigger clubs should have more power.

At a General Election, me being a fat ******* doesn't mean my vote counts more than some skinny guy.

truehibernian
13-05-2020, 05:32 PM
He's not the sharpest.......unless it's a training pole being launched at a colleague of course :agree:

One day Steven will have an opinion that is his own and not one that covers 'all bases'. He's only ever nailed his colours to the mast when it was SJM's leg.

Mr Nice Guy.

Sammy7nil
13-05-2020, 05:38 PM
Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen are all similarly sized clubs through my eyes and the arguments over who is "biggest" in order out of the three a bit of a pointless one.

Yip three bald men arguing over a comb :agree:

weecounty hibby
13-05-2020, 06:06 PM
It's a Jambo obsession being amongst the bigliest clubs. Personally I don't give care, never have and never will. Being 2 of the supposed big 4 hasn't stopped angers FC and the tarts being classless, disgusting, self absorbed basket cases. So who knows bigger probably isn't better

ancient hibee
13-05-2020, 06:10 PM
Did he add "and two of them went bust"?

Mick O'Rourke
13-05-2020, 06:22 PM
Do big clubs finish bottom of the league?

Or based on trophy wins?
Big Club Sevco ??

Liberal Hibby
13-05-2020, 08:15 PM
It’s not on yesterday’s statement

Indeed - think I saw something on social media - but it's definitely a line from the purveyors of succulent lamb.

KeithTheHibby
13-05-2020, 10:09 PM
Steven Thompson is a cock.

poolman
13-05-2020, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=Sammy7nil;6171590]Steven Thompson on the Sportsound podcast claims 3 of Scotland's 4 "Biggest" clubs voted for The Rangers resolution.

What makes a club BIGGER than another?[/QUOTE

When it comes to a vote what effin difference does it make of the size of a club, Thomson's an erse

WeeRussell
13-05-2020, 10:52 PM
I’ve never got the whole ‘big’ obsession that so many football fans have, and I’m not just saying that because it’s a popular hearts thing.

I don’t get it. I didn’t start supporting Hibs because they were big, I have no real desire for them to be any bigger, and don’t care if any other club is considered ‘bigger than us, whoever they might be.

I want us to get better, win more games and competitions. I guess they can all contribute to getting ‘bigger’... but being known as a ‘big club’? Couldn’t give a *****.

If anything I think I’d prefer the small, heroic, community, meaningful club.

The Harp Awakes
13-05-2020, 11:03 PM
In terms of home attendances Hibs and Hearts are a fair bit ahead of Aberdeen. Aberdeen have a fair bit higher turnover than Hibs and Hearts though. So probably not much to choose between the 3.

In terns of winning cups, leagues, etc all 3 clubs are miles behind Celtic and the old Rangers.

For me there are 3 tiers - Celtic & Sevco, Hibs, Hearts & Aberdeen (and possibly Dundee United, and then the rest.

mjhibby
14-05-2020, 07:24 AM
He doesn't mention that 2 of those 3 clubs had a vested interest in voting no. Sevco to stop their main rivals winning another league and Hearts in an attempt to avoid relegation.
Shows what a mess Scottish football is in with both these basket cases at the"top" end.

The discussions on sportsound are mind bogglingly stupid. The fact that the two biggest basket cases in Scottish football have tantrums because they can’t get their own way is not a reason to totally change the set up. As Daryl broadfoot said the teams voted for this set up up. Doh. Aberdeen wanted an investigation to shut the other two up. Whoever was on the spfl board would be getting pelters if they didn’t do as sevco and hertz want. At least budge has had the decency to email all the clubs to accept the decision and say no hard feelings. She’s totally out of her depth but realises they have been dealt a bad hand and it sucks but it ain’t gonna change. Sportsound is so unbalanced it’s farcical and when chic young sounds reasonable you know the programme is goosed.

allezsauzee
14-05-2020, 07:46 AM
Who cares? Being labelled a "big club" by the likes of Thompson is meaningless. I actually like the fact that the Yams think they are the big club in Edinburgh because it is their sense of entitlement that makes them desperate to finish above us and has driven the constant stream of mistakes that they've made in recent years. They've failed to invest in their stadium and training facilities and instead focussed on signing players on bigger wages and who have carted money out of the club while delivering very little. That is why they find themselves in their current predicament.Nothing to do with Coronavirus or other clubs conspiring to send them down.So let them believe they are the big club, we will continue to run our little club the right way, investing for the long term in the club, young players and in our local community and will prosper while they get more and more desperate.

Keith_M
14-05-2020, 08:36 AM

In terns of winning cups, leagues, etc all 3 clubs are miles behind Celtic and the old Rangers..

Going by that criteria, Hibs are the same size as Queens Park.

Both have won ten national trophies (QPs' were all in the Scottish Cup and the last one was in 1893).

On a different criteria, Queens Park have the second highest record attendance at a home game of any Scottish club (95k for a Scottish Cup game in 1935).

That's actually higher than Celtcs' record attendance of 92k, in 1938 (although even that figure is questionable and possibly exaggerated).

Since452
14-05-2020, 09:05 AM
Hearts and Aberdeen have both won more than us and have comparable fan bases.

If people want to call them bigger then fair enough. We're better in so many ways.

Hibs have won more than Hearts over last half a century believe it or not albeit both trophy hauls are poor imo.. I think in the social media driven world we live in now Hibs are probably the best known of the three outside of Scotland. Especially with the decline of Scottish clubs in Europe. 2016 had a big impact on that. Hibs fans singing SOL has racked up millions of views on YouTube from people all over the world etc and we seem to have quite a few celebrity fans mentioning us on Twitter.

That's the way forward for clubs like us and I think the Ron Gordon era will take that to the next level through promoting the club. The NHS thing was a PR masterstroke as well as a fantastic gesture.

To me the three clubs are all similar sized but I've always felt Hibs have a bohemian edgyness to them which seems to attract people from different walks of life. We're definitely the cool club. I'm just proud as punch they're my/our team.

Since452
14-05-2020, 09:43 AM
I think Hearts have tried to get themselves "out there" with this car crash documentary. Might work to an extent.

judas
14-05-2020, 05:20 PM

I always thought the preoccupation with size was a yam thing?!

I can’t imagine not supporting Hibs if our crowds dropped to the 7th highest and our trophy haul was suddenly surpassed by Dundee Utd etc.

Funny, coz I was speaking to a Utd fan earlier and I don’t think I could bring him over to Hibs on the basis that we are the bigger club.

But to humour you I would rank as follows:

Crowd:
3 hearts
4 hibs
5 aberdeen

Trophies
3 aberdeen
4 hearts
5 hibs

Head to heads:
3 hearts
4 aberdeen
5 hibs

Number of charity thefts:
3 hearts
4 aberdeen (no points)
5 hibs (no points)

Number of sex offenders hired:
3 hearts
4 aberdeen
5 hibs

gillythehibby
14-05-2020, 05:24 PM
In terms of home attendances Hibs and Hearts are a fair bit ahead of Aberdeen. Aberdeen have a fair bit higher turnover than Hibs and Hearts though. So probably not much to choose between the 3.

In terns of winning cups, leagues, etc all 3 clubs are miles behind Celtic and the old Rangers.

For me there are 3 tiers - Celtic & Sevco, Hibs, Hearts & Aberdeen (and possibly Dundee United, and then the rest.

I'm quite surprised about Aberdeen's bigger turnover than us and Hertz. How they managing that?

Billy Whizz
14-05-2020, 05:26 PM
I'm quite surprised about Aberdeen's bigger turnover than us and Hertz. How they managing that?

Ozyhibby will be along in a moment to tell you😄

Sammy7nil
14-05-2020, 05:39 PM
I always thought the preoccupation with size was a yam thing?!

I can’t imagine not supporting Hibs if our crowds dropped to the 7th highest and our trophy haul was suddenly surpassed by Dundee Utd etc.

Funny, coz I was speaking to a Utd fan earlier and I don’t think I could bring him over to Hibs on the basis that we are the bigger club.

But to humour you I would rank as follows:

Crowd:
3 hearts
4 hibs
5 aberdeen

Trophies
3 aberdeen
4 hearts
5 hibs

Head to heads:
3 hearts
4 aberdeen
5 hibs

Number of charity thefts:
3 hearts
4 aberdeen (no points)
5 hibs (no points)

Number of sex offenders hired:
3 hearts
4 aberdeen
5 hibs

I simply asked a question but thanks for humouring me :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have no interest in Hibs being a bigger club than any other.
However Hibs crowd average this season is more than 2000 ahead of Hearts

Green_one
15-05-2020, 08:05 AM
Why is it a point. In almost any election you can take a micro cut and make something look better for you. The three votes he mentions were ultimately voting for entirely different things.

The fact is they got murdered in the vote. They got nothing out of it. Let’s concentrate Kevin then on the Championship with 9 votes against and crazy ICT for. Hahahahahahahaha

Mick O'Rourke
15-05-2020, 08:36 AM
How do you define "Big Club"

Last night i watched the documentary " To Good To Go Down " which detailed the season Man Utd were relegated from the old First Division in 1973

Now they came straight back up, recording in many case huge crowds home and away during their spell in the old Second Division

If attendances are the measure of a " Big Club" Man Utd certainly fit that bill

Or is number of trophies won a measure of a " Big Club" ?
Add to that, some European Clubs have won Domestic and European trophies and do not have massive home supports

So what criteria constitutes a "Big club"?

Hibs, in my lifetime have recorded attendances of less then 4.000 and more than 40.000 (not always against the then "Old Firm ")

Certainly our club,post WW11 were known far and wide and in demand to travel worldwide to play,given our then success and style of play.

Could well claim then we were a "Big Club"

lucky
15-05-2020, 08:48 AM
I always thought a big club was their ability to win trophies, sign top players and sell out their stadiums. All three clubs have had varying degrees of success in their histories, none sign top players but Hearts waste more on average players, Aberdeen pay more and have better commercial activities due to being a one team city, Hibs are currently enjoying the biggest crowds of the three. So overall they are all about the same.

Sammy7nil
31-08-2020, 09:51 AM
Thought I would bring this back in the big club debate :greengrin

Wilson
31-08-2020, 09:59 AM

Agree. Aberdeen are regularly finishing ahead of us and Hearts so the spotlight is in them. When it was Hearts they were pushed as the bigger of the three. Current form is all that differentiates between the three when we're all in the same league.

Although Aberdeen's longevity at the too end of things probably gives them the edge just now.