PDA

View Full Version : In A Nutshell

CMurdoch
12-05-2020, 01:21 PM
A lot of banter, tribalism and downright anger has been displayed on these pages about Hearts, relegation, reconstruction and everything in between so thought I would try and put together a very short piece to show that there is no agenda at play other than the SPFL and clubs doing what is best for Scottish Football.

Here it is:

Reconstruction of the top league can't happen for at least 2 seasons as a result of the perfect storm of the pandemic and the new TV deal. Scottish football and the SPFL have been waiting a decade for a decent TV deal and can't blow it now. At the same time Sky Sports subscriptions are being hit by the non playing of football and their lawyers and money men will be desperate for a reason to renegotiate lucrative contracts. Reconstruction of our top league would hand that to them on a plate, hence the SPFL crow-barring the vote through on the 10th April.
Hearts relegation is simply collateral for the good of the Scottish game. It's nothing personal with the SPFL, Hibs or anyone else. It's simply the best business decision in all the existing circumstances and the SPFL have rightly kept their eyes on the substantial prize.
The TV deal is and has always been the elephant in the room and the much maligned Duncanson can't allow anything to jeopardise it.

P.S. The Rangers thing is just madness and nothing to do with anything

JimBHibees
12-05-2020, 01:23 PM
A lot of banter, tribalism and downright anger has been displayed on these pages about Hearts, relegation, reconstruction and everything in between so thought I would try and put together a very short piece to show that there is no agenda at play other than the SPFL and clubs doing what is best for Scottish Football.

Here it is:

Reconstruction of the top league can't happen for at least 2 seasons as a result of the perfect storm of the pandemic and the new TV deal. Scottish football and the SPFL have been waiting a decade for a decent TV deal and can't blow it now. At the same time Sky Sports subscriptions are being hit by the non playing of football and their lawyers and money men will be desperate for a reason to renegotiate lucrative contracts. Reconstruction of our top league would hand that to them on a plate, hence the SPFL crow-barring the vote through on the 10th April. Hearts relegation is simply collateral for the good of the Scottish game. There is nothing personal with the SPFL, Hibs or anyone else. It's simply the best business decision in all the existing circumstances and the SPFL have rightly kept their eyes on the substantial prize.

Can't disagree with any of that.

CMurdoch
12-05-2020, 01:42 PM
Can't disagree with any of that.

In a simpler world the SPFL and the other clubs would have put it in those terms and apologised to Mrs B and Hearts who would have said "we understand, nothing else you can do, see you in a year" but we live in a mad world of self, strategy, entitlement and lawyers.

where'stheslope
12-05-2020, 01:42 PM

Here it is:

Reconstruction of the top league can't happen for at least 2 seasons as a result of the perfect storm of the pandemic and the new TV deal. Scottish football and the SPFL have been waiting a decade for a decent TV deal and can't blow it now. At the same time Sky Sports subscriptions are being hit by the non playing of football and their lawyers and money men will be desperate for a reason to renegotiate lucrative contracts. Reconstruction of our top league would hand that to them on a plate, hence the SPFL crow-barring the vote through on the 10th April.
Hearts relegation is simply collateral for the good of the Scottish game. It's nothing personal with the SPFL, Hibs or anyone else. It's simply the best business decision in all the existing circumstances and the SPFL have rightly kept their eyes on the substantial prize.
The TV deal is and has always been the elephant in the room and nothing is allowed to jeopardise it.

Playing devil's advocate, what would your feelings be if it was us in a relegation position?
Remember, we ourselves were at the bottom this season, luckily it never finished then.
Its an easy decision if we are ok, but with the season unfinished it makes everything cloudy!
Most of the clubs, its all about the money and nothing to do with "doing the right thing"!

Waxy
12-05-2020, 01:46 PM
If it was us we would be cursing our luck.
Thats all it is, bad luck.
We would have taken it with alot more dignity.

hibbyfraelibby
12-05-2020, 01:51 PM
We are not famous or bigly enough to take it personally so would get on with whittling a few extra pegs to raise the difference in incone.

Bostonhibby
12-05-2020, 01:54 PM
You've got to spend a hell of a lot more than we do to achieve bottom, and you need a particular style of owner and management structure.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Wilson
12-05-2020, 01:59 PM

I don't know. We will fight wherever we may be? I could equally us questioning everything, being mobilized, and making as much noise as possible. It's just funnier when it's them.

As for not doing anything to disrupt the tv deal - they've finally thrown us a bone after decades and we bend over backwards for their sake? Placing their want over what might be actually good for the long term future of the game? Well yes - we probably do and it sticks in the throat. There is no interest at the top of our game other than self interest. That is why we will fail to improve the product across the board.

Peevemor
12-05-2020, 02:02 PM
Playing devil's advocate, what would your feelings be if it was us in a relegation position?
Remember, we ourselves were at the bottom this season, luckily it never finished then.
Its an easy decision if we are ok, but with the season unfinished it makes everything cloudy!
Most of the clubs, its all about the money and nothing to do with "doing the right thing"!

I think, on the whole, we'd follow the line taken by Ron & Leeann (& possibly JR).

I doubt they'd be making as much of an arse of themselves as Mrs B.

CMurdoch

A lot of folk on here would have gone nuts and it would have mirrored what JKB is at the moment.

The folk on hibs.net who said they wouldn't buy season tickets if Leanne/Hibs didn't vote for Hearts to be relegated was all very angry and grubby and the same folk would have spontaneously combusted if the boot was on the other foot.

Hibs and Hearts are in a better position than most to deal with relegation. Easy promotion back up the following season given no other big teams there. Far more dignified than looking so desperate and scrambling about and now the threat of legal action.

There is a modern day entitlement and people appeal everything/cry foul at every turn in a desperate attempt to get their own way (see my 2nd post).

Sammy7nil

There would be many Hibs fans raging just like Hearts. However I think many more Hibs fans would be cursing why are we bottom and what a shambles we are rather than blaming others.

We would be mad but would have taken it better rather than hoping every other team goes bust. Wanting to become the most hated team in the league etc.

P.S. I think they are close to being the most hated team already.

PeeKay
12-05-2020, 02:13 PM
There would be many Hibs fans raging just like Hearts. However I think many more Hibs fans would be cursing why are we bottom and what a shambles we are rather than blaming others.

We would be mad but would have taken it better rather than hoping every other team goes bust. Wanting to become the most hated team in the league etc.

P.S. I think they are close to being the most hated team already.

Exactly. If we were in their position I would be raging at our own management for getting us into that state - and the mess they are in is more than just potential relegation. As it is, Budge has done a superb job of deflecting all criticism from their fans onto the SPFL and they have swallowed it hook line and sinker. So much so that they appear willing to dig deep once again to throw their money down the bottomless hole that Budge continues to dig.

tomf
12-05-2020, 02:22 PM
Folk on here would have gone nuts and it would have mirrored what JKB is at the moment.

The folk on hibs.net who said they wouldn't buy season tickets if Leanne/Hibs didn't vote for Hearts to be relegated was all very angry and grubby and the same folk would have spontaneously combusted if the boot was on the other foot.

Hibs and Hearts are in a better position than most to deal with relegation. Easy promotion back up the following season given no other big teams there. Far more dignified than looking so desperate and scrambling about and now the threat of legal action.

There is a modern day entitlement and people appeal everything/cry foul at every turn in a desperate attempt to get their own way (see my 2nd post).

I don't suppose you can speak for "folk" any more than I can but I can tell you that Hibs fans (folk) have already faced being cheated in a cup final with some dignity. We have faced watching our team playing hoof ball, self destruct and end up relegated when it should never have happened. We faced the absurd and malicious attempt to take over the club and eliminate us by a squalid rival. We have faced accusations about violent conduct which were effectively (and understandably) over exuberance and I don't recall us losing our dignity in the face of any of that. There are always some "folk" who will be angry or rant (I have certainly done that) but I would suggest that Hibs fans, in general, take it on the chin and get on with things. Isn't that the Hibs way?

Liam978
12-05-2020, 02:41 PM

Aye Right !!

Pete
12-05-2020, 02:49 PM
Aye Right !!

Lol we'd be absolutely raging.

CMurdoch
12-05-2020, 03:22 PM
I don't suppose you can speak for "folk" any more than I can but I can tell you that Hibs fans (folk) have already faced being cheated in a cup final with some dignity. We have faced watching our team playing hoof ball, self destruct and end up relegated when it should never have happened. We faced the absurd and malicious attempt to take over the club and eliminate us by a squalid rival. We have faced accusations about violent conduct which were effectively (and understandably) over exuberance and I don't recall us losing our dignity in the face of any of that. There are always some "folk" who will be angry or rant (I have certainly done that) but I would suggest that Hibs fans, in general, take it on the chin and get on with things. Isn't that the Hibs way?

I won't give you "some folk" but have added "a lot of" to make it accurate.

EVERY fan forum is predictable whatever the subject.
Every forum will tell you the refs are against their team, the authorities are against them, they never get the rub of the green, their club is good and their rivals are bad etc etc etc

P.S. there is no such thing as "the Hibs way". Every club and fans awards itself accolades and characteristics that don't really exist. Our rivals across the road road call themselves "The Famous" but it's not real, no more real than "the Celtic way"

Waxy
12-05-2020, 03:29 PM
Aye Right !!

Ragin aye, but not in a lets resign from the league way like some if them are.

James Stephen
12-05-2020, 03:37 PM
Personally, i wouldnt have expected the world to bend to suit us, as outsiders from the traditional establishment, when has it ever?

Id curse typical Hibs luck, accept that the rest of the game are (at best) ambivalent to our plight, and set about getting ourselves out of another, ultimately self inflicted, mess.

Victor
13-05-2020, 11:31 AM
I think that the owner, CEO, manager and directors, (probably correctly) would have taken the brunt of the Hibs fans’ anger. I find it strange that Budge seems to be almost exempt from criticism and Hearts fans are directing their ire at the SPFL and other clubs. Despite everything the buck stops with Budge, she is the one who wants to accept all the plaudits during the good times, but deflects when the sh*t hits the fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Man Down Under
13-05-2020, 11:50 PM
I kind of agree. Hearts can't see the long term, a hastily put together reconstruction plan would jeopordise the league financially for years to come.

If they just suck up the Championship for a season, then get promoted which I'm sure they believe will happen. They come back into the premiership in a stronger position than surviving a slapped together, watered down, reconstructed top league.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk