PDA

View Full Version : Scottish cup final ( Fraser Fyvie)

fiolex1
09-05-2020, 11:42 AM
Just watching the final again on Premier sports and never really appreciated the contribution he made to the final. He was absolutely outstanding

Bostonhibby
09-05-2020, 11:52 AM
Was great on the day and a good player all round for us at the time.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Robbo6-2
09-05-2020, 12:03 PM
Its a disgrace he is actually playing with Cove Rangers now.

I know a few boys who have played against this season and all said he was unbelievable and should never being playing at that level.

Even with his injuries he should still be in full time football in Scottish Championship. Think his Mrs only wants him to stay in Aberdeen so it pretty much limits his options

Baader
09-05-2020, 12:03 PM
Like him a lot and think he was very underrated in his time at Hibs.

BILLYHIBS
09-05-2020, 12:07 PM
Shudda signed the contract he would probably still be here

EH54
09-05-2020, 12:09 PM
I was a fan of Fyvie but I remember standing screaming for him to pass the ball, thought he held on to it way too long in his pass through to stokes who had to pull back.abit ...I did forgive him right enough lol

Pretty Boy
09-05-2020, 12:11 PM
Its a disgrace he is actually playing with Cove Rangers now.

I know a few boys who have played against this season and all said he was unbelievable and should never being playing at that level.

Even with his injuries he should still be in full time football in Scottish Championship. Think his Mrs only wants him to stay in Aberdeen so it pretty much limits his options

I think with his injuries it makes sense for FF to be there.

His family are happy, he doesn't have to train every day and he'll be picking up a decent wedge from a team who are throwing some money about.

MWHIBBIES
09-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Very good player. He would walk into both this and last season's midfield.

lugz
09-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Played very well in the final. Fast forward just under a year and he was hooked early in the semi against Aberdeen. The beginning of the end imo.

Spike Mandela
09-05-2020, 01:09 PM
Will be forever grateful to him for his lung bursting run in the 91st minute of that game. Brilliant stuff.:thumbsup:

MWHIBBIES
09-05-2020, 01:12 PM
Played very well in the final. Fast forward just under a year and he was hooked early in the semi against Aberdeen. The beginning of the end imo.

Through not fault of his own, which our manager and other players said afterword. No idea why this is always mentioned. Lennon got the team totally wrong and someone had to come off. Was never going to be McGeouch or Mcginn.

Since452
09-05-2020, 01:16 PM
I was a fan of Fyvie but I remember standing screaming for him to pass the ball, thought he held on to it way too long in his pass through to stokes who had to pull back.abit ...I did forgive him right enough lol

I thought the same. Stokes was in if he had played the pass earlier. Thank goodness he didn't. The lead up to the corner built the tension, Henderson sweeping his hair back, the cross and the captains bullet header. Couldn't have scripted that goal any better.

Mick O'Rourke
09-05-2020, 01:22 PM
Just watching the final again on Premier sports and never really appreciated the contribution he made to the final. He was absolutely outstanding

Discussing the final the other day with my grandson (again) and said it again and again.
Fraser, for me, had his finest performance for us that day.

Like others, i wish he had signed another contract

BroxburnHibee
09-05-2020, 01:23 PM
I said it at the time. Stokes rightly got MOTM but Fyvie was outstanding that day.

Eyrie
09-05-2020, 01:35 PM
Through not fault of his own, which our manager and other players said afterword. No idea why this is always mentioned. Lennon got the team totally wrong and someone had to come off. Was never going to be McGeouch or Mcginn.

Fyvie had already been booked, so he was the obvious choice to be sacrificed as Lennon managed to get his tactics right.

calumhibee1
09-05-2020, 01:39 PM

Na.

I liked Fyvie. But there’s not a chance a guy who is now playing for Cove Rangers walks into our midfield. Could maybe have a place in the squad, but that’s about it.

Since452
09-05-2020, 01:43 PM

He'd struggle at this level now tbh. I thought he toiled in our promotion season. In saying that a lot of them toiled that season.

IncredibleHibee
09-05-2020, 01:43 PM
Absolutely brilliant touch. He lacks a yard of pace and the injuries haven’t helped in that regard. From a good family too

MWHIBBIES
09-05-2020, 02:14 PM
Fyvie had already been booked, so he was the obvious choice to be sacrificed as Lennon managed to get his tactics right.Well yes but its hardly his fault Lennon got it desperately wrong to start with.

He'd struggle at this level now tbh. I thought he toiled in our promotion season. In saying that a lot of them toiled that season.

Na.

I liked Fyvie. But there’s not a chance a guy who is now playing for Cove Rangers walks into our midfield. Could maybe have a place in the squad, but that’s about it.The player that was at Hibs wouldn't walked into our team. He had many excellent games in our promotion season.

The Spaceman
09-05-2020, 02:51 PM

I was thinking this yesterday. He really was a great wee midfielder on his day and should have stayed with us. He did get very unlucky the moment he left us and that is a shame. Will always hold a legendary place in this club for his contributions on that day.

Greig Docherty is a very similar player to Fyvie, but a little bit more mobile. They are very effective players in the Scottish game when deployed properly.

Hibeesmad
09-05-2020, 03:37 PM
Did well for us in his time here. Did he really make an impression at Dundee Utd?

Fergos
09-05-2020, 03:46 PM
A winner as proved by his Cup Final performance and his comments on the DVD afterwards.

Good player. And now a Hibee legend.

GGTTH.

marinello59
09-05-2020, 04:25 PM
I think with his injuries it makes sense for FF to be there.

His family are happy, he doesn't have to train every day and he'll be picking up a decent wedge from a team who are throwing some money about.

Agreed
I watched him a couple of times at Cove this season and he still looks like a quality player but they have several right now. Their money seem to be getting spent wisely. Paul Hartley is manager so they are trying to build something there, Fyvie will probably enjoy being a part of it.

Hibs1969
09-05-2020, 04:33 PM
Fyvie was a cracking wee player who played a huge part in the greatest day in our club’s history and followed it up by winning promotion the next season. He made a massive blunder in trying to play mind games with Lennon when his contract was up for renewal, I would gladly have seen him stay with us.

Eyrie
09-05-2020, 05:55 PM
Well yes but its hardly his fault Lennon got it desperately wrong to start with.

I don't think anyone would dispute that, despite Lennon's bizarre claim afterwards that the reason we were two down after half an hour was that the players weren't following instructions. That would be the instructions to hoof it at our lone striker Cummings who was outmuscled and outnumbered every time.

The situation improved after Holt came on for Fyvie, who was understandably upset at being substituted so early on.

B.H.F.C
09-05-2020, 06:04 PM
I don't think anyone would dispute that, despite Lennon's bizarre claim afterwards that the reason we were two down after half an hour was that the players weren't following instructions. That would be the instructions to hoof it at our lone striker Cummings who was outmuscled and outnumbered every time.

The situation improved after Holt came on for Fyvie, who was understandably upset at being substituted so early on.

To be fair, I’m sure they weren’t instructed to defend the way they did. Undoubtedly, it was the wrong way to set up, but when you look at the goals they were just down to errors as opposed to the system causing us problems.

calumhibee1
09-05-2020, 06:06 PM
Well yes but its hardly his fault Lennon got it desperately wrong to start with.

The player that was at Hibs wouldn't walked into our team. He had many excellent games in our promotion season.

I’d agree more with that :agree:

dalkeith stu
09-05-2020, 06:08 PM

Boys behind me were screaming at him when he let the ball run out for a corner instead of getting the ball into the box early. They didn't look too disappointed after Henderson delivered for the first time that day!!

Eyrie
09-05-2020, 06:09 PM
To be fair, I’m sure they weren’t instructed to defend the way they did. Undoubtedly, it was the wrong way to set up, but when you look at the goals they were just down to errors as opposed to the system causing us problems.

We weren't in the game because the system was so poor, not because a couple of slack passes compounded McGinn being mugged or McGeouch's positioning.

SouthMoroccoStu
09-05-2020, 06:19 PM
Lennon and a lot of fans were jaded by his performance against Aberdeen in the semi final
And the contract signing debacle didn’t help
For what it’s worth, I always liked him and he’ll always have a place in hibs folklore for his role on the 21st of May
No passengers that day

B.H.F.C
09-05-2020, 06:25 PM
We weren't in the game because the system was so poor, not because a couple of slack passes compounded McGinn being mugged or McGeouch's positioning.

We couldn’t do anything in an attacking sense due to the system as we had nobody up the pitch and nobody to hit.

The reason we were 2-0 down was absolutely because individual mistakes though. McGregors pass after ten seconds had nothing to do with the shape of the team!

MWHIBBIES
09-05-2020, 07:01 PM
Lennon and a lot of fans were jaded by his performance against Aberdeen in the semi final
And the contract signing debacle didn’t help
For what it’s worth, I always liked him and he’ll always have a place in hibs folklore for his role on the 21st of May
No passengers that day

Which is strange because he done very little wrong. Mcgregor cost an early goal and McGeouch was sleeping for second (goalie maybe should do better too).

SouthMoroccoStu
09-05-2020, 07:03 PM
Which is strange because he done very little wrong. Mcgregor cost an early goal and McGeouch was sleeping for second (goalie maybe should do better too).

Agreed pal
A poor formation, individual errors and selection issues caused us to be on the back foot from minute 1
It’s only a “glorious defeat” as we got our way back into it

Hibs Class
09-05-2020, 07:04 PM
IIRC the first time I saw Fraser was at ER when Aberdeen were hyping him up and Ian Murray put in a “firm but fair” challenge which left him crumpled in front of the west stand. That was my abiding memory of him until he joined us, and 21st May was his pinnacle when he was immense.

GRA
09-05-2020, 10:19 PM
Always liked Fyvie another who was relatively unfortunate with injuries. He was great on 21-5-16. Remember for the 2nd Stokes goal he deliberately let the ball run out for a corner rather than cross it in as he knew we had a better chance scoring from a set piece.

The Aberdeen semi and contract situation was the end though. Probably for the best given his injury situation since. Also not many players with a FA & Scottish Cup winners medals (especially from teams like Hibs and Wigan)!

Slim Shady
09-05-2020, 11:57 PM
He’s now working in Aberdeen as well selling PPE.

Hibee87
10-05-2020, 12:42 AM
Fyvie always came across as a guy with a good head on his shoulders and knows the game. He said something about a few players being too confident about going into the semi v Dundee United and it annoyed him. I know what he means by that attitude. I hope he does his badges and proves me right by becoming a good manager, hopefully for us and not a rival one day.

Diclonius
10-05-2020, 12:53 AM
Did well for us in his time here. Did he really make an impression at Dundee Utd?

He was captain in his last season there.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-05-2020, 10:48 AM
Similarities between Fyvie and Allan and Dylan in that they are all terrific footballers and have the ability to play at a higher level, but when their careers are over, they will look back and see that they played their best and perhaps most enjoyable football in a Hibs top.

Carheenlea
10-05-2020, 01:32 PM
Similarities between Fyvie and Allan and Dylan in that they are all terrific footballers and have the ability to play at a higher level, but when their careers are over, they will look back and see that they played their best and perhaps most enjoyable football in a Hibs top.

:agree: One of the many players who just seemed to fit well with Hibs.

Hibeesmad
10-05-2020, 01:35 PM
He was captain in his last season there.

That the season they failed to get promoted? I assume it was injuries that they didn't renew his contract.

MWHIBBIES
10-05-2020, 01:37 PM
That the season they failed to get promoted? I assume it was injuries that they didn't renew his contract.

There has been 3 of those.

Hibeesmad
10-05-2020, 03:34 PM
There has been 3 of those.

And he was there for 2 of them?

The 90+2
13-05-2020, 09:50 PM
Good interview I’ve found with FF on football CFB podcast (something ive just found, loads of Scottish football interviews).