PDA

View Full Version : Home draft beer systems

Since90+2
05-05-2020, 08:49 AM
Has anyone got one of these and any recommendations?

Hibee87
05-05-2020, 09:37 AM
Not got, but used a Krups with moretti cannisters a fair few rines. It's a nice pint, really nice for home. But for around 8 quid for something like 3 and a half pints it's a bit pricey if you drink a lot at home. If you don't then it's certainly nicer than a can or bottle

bringbackbenny
05-05-2020, 01:01 PM
Has anyone got one of these and any recommendations?

Check these out, not cheap though.

https://uk.blade.shop/blade.html

speedy_gonzales
05-05-2020, 02:27 PM
Mrs SG bought me the compact sub (Krups) from Beerwulf. It was a promotion and discounted along with 12 2 litre Torps (torpedoes for the sub!?!).

There is a novelty about it and there's not a bad range of beers out there but as others have said it's not very cost effective.

I've bought a few boxes of mixed Torps and a selected case of my choosing,,,, can't get enough of the Lagunitas IPA!

1875Sean
05-05-2020, 07:25 PM
Thinking a out getting myself the beer tap, it’s either that or trying something like beer52 and try getting different beers each month

SideBurns
06-05-2020, 06:52 AM
On a similar theme (drinking at home, that it), The Stockbridge Tap, Cloisters, and the Bow Bar are opening up for off-sales. They'll be selling draught beer in 2.5ltr containers and packaged beer too. They'll be staggering the days they open between the 3 pubs, details to be announced at some point this week via Facebook & Twitter (I'm on neither these days, but have asked a pal to keep me informed).

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-05-2020, 09:49 AM
On a similar theme (drinking at home, that it), The Stockbridge Tap, Cloisters, and the Bow Bar are opening up for off-sales. They'll be selling draught beer in 2.5ltr containers and packaged beer too. They'll be staggering the days they open between the 3 pubs, details to be announced at some point this week via Facebook & Twitter (I'm on neither these days, but have asked a pal to keep me informed).

The Malt and Hops at The Shore does this, can't find the beer list anymore though. Open Wed, Fri and Sat afternoon.

Since90+2
06-05-2020, 09:58 AM
The Malt and Hops at The Shore does this, can't find the beer list anymore though. Open Wed, Fri and Sat afternoon.

Is that still happening? My old man said the police had closed it down?

pollution
06-05-2020, 11:17 AM

How fresh will the beer be, considering how long they have been closed?

SideBurns
06-05-2020, 11:54 AM
How fresh will the beer be, considering how long they have been closed?

Keg beer has a pretty long shelf life, I think. Cask ale much less so, but all 3 pubs pride themselves on serving good beer so I'd have faith that what you get will be fresh (and tasty 😁).

bringbackbenny
06-05-2020, 12:40 PM
Keg beer has a pretty long shelf life, I think. Cask ale much less so, but all 3 pubs pride themselves on serving good beer so I'd have faith that what you get will be fresh (and tasty 😁).

yup,from what I can recall keg beer normally leaves Brewers with approx 40-45 days shelf life. Cask much less normally 3 or so weeks max.

Since90+2
06-05-2020, 01:38 PM
Will the beer not taste pretty minging by the time you get it home and drink it? Pints don't tend to last too long so can't imagine it's going to taste great out of a container a a hour or so later.

Pretty Boy
06-05-2020, 01:48 PM
What is the law around takeaway beer? Does it have to be in a sealed container?

In a situation that saw a slight easing of the lockdown would it be possible for a pub to sell a pint in a plastic 'glass' with a lid on it to be consumed off the premises if they have an off sale license?

Obviously drinking it in a street or in a park is only permitted unless you are asked to stop and I assume the Police would take a dim view but is it a theoretical possibility?

SideBurns
06-05-2020, 02:28 PM
What is the law around takeaway beer? Does it have to be in a sealed container?

In a situation that saw a slight easing of the lockdown would it be possible for a pub to sell a pint in a plastic 'glass' with a lid on it to be consumed off the premises if they have an off sale license?

Obviously drinking it in a street or in a park is only permitted unless you are asked to stop and I assume the Police would take a dim view but is it a theoretical possibility?

All the post from the Stockbridge Tap says is that they'll be selling draught beer in 2.5ltr containers, with a list of beers available on their Facebook & Twitter pages.

It's taken a while since closing to come up with this (along with the Bow & Cloisters) so presume they've got all the legal stuff right.

I suppose selling pints might be possible in an easing off period - pubs will be investigating all sorts of ways they might be able to reopen.

pollution
06-05-2020, 06:07 PM
Will the beer not taste pretty minging by the time you get it home and drink it? Pints don't tend to last too long so can't imagine it's going to taste great out of a container a a hour or so later.

I agree. by the time you pour it into your glass it will taste flat. Twice poured beer is awful.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-05-2020, 08:14 PM
Is that still happening? My old man said the police had closed it down?

They turned up then left without any action being taken.

Andy74
06-05-2020, 08:40 PM
I’ve had the sub for a while. Great in the summer as your fridge isn’t going to get beer to that 2 degree chill ordinarily.

Not the cheapest way to get your beer and pouring is tricky. You get the continental style 5 inches of head with the glasses I have regardless of technique!

Jamesie
06-05-2020, 09:21 PM
They turned up then left without any action being taken.

Punters were buying the bevvy on Saturday and taking it over to Commercial Wharf before decanting it into pint glasses, all about 20 metres away from a sitting Police car. Was a bizarre spectacle all round.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-05-2020, 09:38 PM
Punters were buying the bevvy on Saturday and taking it over to Commercial Wharf before decanting it into pint glasses, all about 20 metres away from a sitting Police car. Was a bizarre spectacle all round.

That's more up to date than my knowledge so, fair enough.

Scouse Hibee
06-05-2020, 10:05 PM
Perfectly good packaged beers and lagers available without going to a pub to buy poured beer to take home surely?

SideBurns
07-05-2020, 06:47 AM
Perfectly good packaged beers and lagers available without going to a pub to buy poured beer to take home surely?

It's an experiment by the pubs mentioned to gauge popularity; they're obviously desperate to get going again and are trying this off-sales idea.

I'm keen to support boozers if possible, so have pre-ordered a 2.5ltr container of beer costing £12 for collection from Cloisters this afternoon (or rather, a pal has done it for me since I'm not on Facebook or Twitter). If it's crap, I won't get another one! I'll report back on here, in case anyone is interested.

Scouse Hibee
07-05-2020, 08:30 AM
It's an experiment by the pubs mentioned to gauge popularity; they're obviously desperate to get going again and are trying this off-sales idea.

I'm keen to support boozers if possible, so have pre-ordered a 2.5ltr container of beer costing £12 for collection from Cloisters this afternoon (or rather, a pal has done it for me since I'm not on Facebook or Twitter). If it's crap, I won't get another one! I'll report back on here, in case anyone is interested.

👍 The only problem I see is unlike packaged beer you will need to consume it pretty much straight away to get any quality. Actually that might be an advantage!😁🍻

SideBurns
07-05-2020, 08:58 AM
👍 The only problem I see is unlike packaged beer you will need to consume it pretty much straight away to get any quality. Actually that might be an advantage!😁🍻

That's not a problem at the moment 😁👍🍻

speedy_gonzales
07-05-2020, 09:08 AM
I agree. by the time you pour it into your glass it will taste flat. Twice poured beer is awful.

There was a shop in Morningside that used to sell Growlers, maybe it was just a hipster thing but the twice poured beer obviously wasn't too much of an issue,,,, assuming they're still in business?

SideBurns
07-05-2020, 09:29 AM
There was a shop in Morningside that used to sell Growlers, maybe it was just a hipster thing but the twice poured beer obviously wasn't too much of an issue,,,, assuming they're still in business?

Might be I'll get something similar this afternoon; I'm assuming they won't just be pulling the beer into old milk cartons. Will give it an early test once I get home, so I can report back here asap!

Jack
07-05-2020, 12:15 PM
Check these out, not cheap though.

https://uk.blade.shop/blade.html

I saw these machines dispensing a local cider in Alicante before lockdown. I thought they were quite nifty!

At £500 I think I'll give it a miss.

hibbybob
07-05-2020, 12:30 PM

That shop in Morningside didn’t last very long.

Scouse Hibee
07-05-2020, 12:47 PM
I saw these machines dispensing a local cider in Alicante before lockdown. I thought they were quite nifty!

We had a couple on trial at work for large groups, they are quite good.

Pretty Boy
07-05-2020, 12:48 PM
The Edinburgh Beer Factory (that brews Paolozzi Lager) sell growler bottles, or they used to anyway. I got one from my sister for Christmas and I was surprised how fresh it still tasted. I was quite sceptical but was pleasantly surprised.

SideBurns
07-05-2020, 01:14 PM
I've picked up the beer from Cloisters and, having decided there is no time like the present, poured myself a pint. It tastes lovely, although I struggled to get a head on it. However, I should say it was real ale I bought (Trade Winds, from the Cairngorm Brewery) so the beer is 'flat' anyway.

It just comes in an ordinary 2.5ltr sealed container, with the name of the beer, date it was poured (today!), and advice that it's best drunk within 24 hours. To be honest, as a drinking 'experience' it's no better than buying from a supermarket and is more expensive. But I wasn't really expecting anything else, and feel good for having put money in a pub till for the first time in 7 weeks!

bringbackbenny
07-05-2020, 08:20 PM

Yeah way too much for me but they are very cool in looks and functionality. And the kegs last 30 days once opened which is not bad.

bringbackbenny
07-05-2020, 08:22 PM
We had a couple on trial at work for large groups, they are quite good.

Agree, very suitable for a smaller business with a tight dispense area. with lower volumes.

green&left
08-05-2020, 05:23 AM
The Edinburgh Beer Factory (that brews Paolozzi Lager) sell growler bottles, or they used to anyway. I got one from my sister for Christmas and I was surprised how fresh it still tasted. I was quite sceptical but was pleasantly surprised.

Stewart's dock tap room next to the carrier quarters does the same. Always meaning to try it. There's another shop that does it too, think it's called the beer hive.

1875Sean
11-05-2020, 06:45 PM
Does anyone have the sub or blade beer tap? Thinking about getting the sub but noticed a lot of the 2l kegs are out of stock, anyway use them know how often they come available?

The_Exile
11-05-2020, 09:58 PM
I got the sub on sale a few weeks ago but most kegs been out of stock since then, there’s a few obscure ones you can buy but I’d rather stick to the beers I know initially before I try experimenting. Not sure why there’s such a shortage, can only speculate lots of folk wanting a good pint at home under the circumstances I suppose.

1875Sean
12-05-2020, 03:41 PM
I got the sub on sale a few weeks ago but most kegs been out of stock since then, there’s a few obscure ones you can buy but I’d rather stick to the beers I know initially before I try experimenting. Not sure why there’s such a shortage, can only speculate lots of folk wanting a good pint at home under the circumstances I suppose.

I can understand less people at work etc their supply may be great just now but if anyone who has had one for a while would be good to know if it usually has a good selection or if it’s always out of stock, not keen to shell out on one yet unless I know I can get a few kegs I like

Steve-O
14-05-2020, 11:37 AM

If they’re pouring it straight out of a tap into a bottle and sealing it, it’s fine. BUT, I’d recommend only getting it to drink that day, or perhaps the next day at worst.

Steve-O
14-05-2020, 11:40 AM

There are various small breweries / shops that have sold “fill your own” for years and years here. The beer is good, but as per my last post, it is supposed to be drunk quite sharpish. Definitely not for chucking in the fridge for a fortnight

SideBurns
14-05-2020, 12:17 PM
If they’re pouring it straight out of a tap into a bottle and sealing it, it’s fine. BUT, I’d recommend only getting it to drink that day, or perhaps the next day at worst.

The last 2.5ltr batch I got was from the Stockbridge Tap on Sunday, and the recommendation was that it should be drunk within 48 hours. I erred on the side of caution in case the '8' was a typo and drunk it within 4.

Andy74
14-05-2020, 11:21 PM
I can understand less people at work etc their supply may be great just now but if anyone who has had one for a while would be good to know if it usually has a good selection or if it’s always out of stock, not keen to shell out on one yet unless I know I can get a few kegs I like

Supply of stock for the sub is usually fine. I tend to get a decent amount of the torps each order and stock them in the garage. Never had a problem getting an order in.

I see they are saying that they’ve restocked.

Jones28
15-05-2020, 05:14 AM
Has anyone got a Philips Perfect Draft dispenser?

tanfield
22-05-2020, 10:52 PM
Has anyone got a Philips Perfect Draft dispenser?

Had one for a few years, quite expensive to run but there is quite a range to choose from.

The_Exile
22-05-2020, 11:13 PM
Eventually got a few torps through for the sub and must admit it’s like night and day drinking from this thing compared to the cans and bottles you can get from the shops. It probably helps that the beer is straight from the brewery. Heineken comes straight from Amsterdam for example, rather than the horrendous pish they brew in Manchester. Birra Morertti is the stuff they brew in Italy rather than here in Edinburgh.

1875Sean
10-06-2020, 04:57 PM
The stock of the subs are ridiculous

Andy74
11-06-2020, 09:34 AM
The stock of the subs are ridiculous

Used to be fine but lockdown has had a big impact. Managed to get an order in just of the Heineken to keep me going, which to be fair on a summer afternoon is pretty much what I’m after from the sub.

The_Exile
11-06-2020, 10:20 AM
Beerwulf sent an email out last week apologising and taking responsibility for the lack of stock which is fair enough, they went on to say that this week they would be getting much more stock in and limiting orders so everyone could get an order in. I've checked every day and saw Heineken come back in stock for around 3 hours, and a few other IPA's at around the £17-£18 mark which I wouldn't really pay for 4 pints.

Pretty poor stuff but given the current situation with lockdown meaning absolutely massive number of folk wanting stock, and perhaps production not being at it's usual level I can understand why it's a bit rubbish at the moment.

Need to have a hunt online for good beer at reasonable prices as I'm down to the bare bones with fridge fillers too, 2 Punk IPA and 3 each of Red Stripe and Guinness is all that's left :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-06-2020, 12:01 PM
Beerwulf sent an email out last week apologising and taking responsibility for the lack of stock which is fair enough, they went on to say that this week they would be getting much more stock in and limiting orders so everyone could get an order in. I've checked every day and saw Heineken come back in stock for around 3 hours, and a few other IPA's at around the £17-£18 mark which I wouldn't really pay for 4 pints.

Pretty poor stuff but given the current situation with lockdown meaning absolutely massive number of folk wanting stock, and perhaps production not being at it's usual level I can understand why it's a bit rubbish at the moment.

Need to have a hunt online for good beer at reasonable prices as I'm down to the bare bones with fridge fillers too, 2 Punk IPA and 3 each of Red Stripe and Guinness is all that's left :greengrin

Nae need to hit the shops until tomorrow. 🍻

Jones28
11-06-2020, 02:31 PM
For anyone in central Scotland the Harviestoun Brewery in Alva are selling 9/18 pint boxes of their beers.

Ellie’s Cellar are selling them and they’ve got shops all over as well as local deliveries to certain postcode areas.

I'm_cabbaged
01-02-2021, 11:09 AM
Looking to buy a sub but can’t get one anywhere.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-02-2021, 05:53 PM
Looking to buy a sub but can’t get one anywhere.

Try and get in touch with Mad Vlad!

I'm_cabbaged
01-02-2021, 05:54 PM
Try and get in touch with Mad Vlad!

🤣🤣

I'm_cabbaged
03-02-2021, 03:50 PM
Anyone know anywhere in Edinburgh that sells the sub torps?