PDA

View Full Version : Si FERRY MEETS LEIGH GRIFFITHS

BILLYHIBS
04-05-2020, 05:05 PM
SPOILER ALERT

Says that HIBS did not take up the option to buy him for 50k in the January hoping they would get him for nothing in the summer :confused:

Petrie! :grr:

https://youtu.be/e68pEcwntek

Billy Whizz
04-05-2020, 05:11 PM
SPOILER ALERT

Says that HIBS did not take up the option to buy him for 50k in the January hoping they would get him for nothing in the summer :confused:

Petrie! :grr:

https://youtu.be/e68pEcwntek

That will put a lot of myths to bed
£150k is a Hibs.net fact

BILLYHIBS
04-05-2020, 05:13 PM
£150k is a Hibs.net fact
My first thought :greengrin

SquashedFrogg
04-05-2020, 05:55 PM
£150k is a Hibs.net fact

I'll never understand why people post something as a fact when they know it not to be true. Odd.

jacomo
04-05-2020, 06:01 PM
I'll never understand why people post something as a fact when they know it not to be true. Odd.

It’s true because their aunty’s best friend’s local newsagent once sold 20 regal to Garry O’Connor, therefore their source is rock solid.

Jones28
04-05-2020, 06:06 PM
It’s true because their aunty’s best friend’s local newsagent once sold 20 regal to Garry O’Connor, therefore their source is rock solid.

WRONG

It was Lambert and Butler

S4uzee
04-05-2020, 07:22 PM
Really good interview. Would love the Griff to play for Hibs again.

Always impresses me when a player remembers the fine details of games he’s played in or players played alongside

BILLYHIBS
04-05-2020, 07:28 PM
Comes across as a decent down to earth guy

Haste ye back!

The 90+2
04-05-2020, 07:35 PM
£150k is a Hibs.net fact

What’s the story? Did posters say we had to pay more than £50k and it became fact?

Imagine gambling £50k at not getting LG at any point: that’s criminal.

PaulSmith
04-05-2020, 07:47 PM
What’s the story? Did posters say we had to pay more than £50k and it became fact?

I think the story went that a few posters have consistently said that Hibs had an opportunity to sign LG during the January window for a nominal sum but others vehemently denied that any deal ever existed and scoffed at the very suggestion.

The 90+2
04-05-2020, 07:49 PM
I think the story went that a few posters have consistently said that Hibs had an opportunity to sign LG during the January window for a nominal sum but others vehemently denied that any deal ever existed and scoffed at the very suggestion.

Why the sarcasm then when Leigh has confirmed as fact? Have I missed the punchline*?

*ive not listened yet is the 50k part not in the interview and a way of ripping someone/s in the past?

PaulSmith
04-05-2020, 08:01 PM
Why the sarcasm then when Leigh has confirmed as fact? Have I missed the punchline*?

*ive not listened yet is the 50k part not in the interview and a way of ripping someone/s in the past?

A poor attempt at me at being sarcastic.

What I should’ve said is that there were prolific posters on here who ridiculed anyone that suggested that Hibs did indeed have the chance to sign LG for a nominal sum.

BILLYHIBS
04-05-2020, 08:02 PM

Posted on here at the time by posters unknown that the amount that HIBS refused to pay was 150k ?

50k looks even more of a bargain at the time

DH1875
04-05-2020, 08:15 PM
Posted on here at the time by posters unknown that the amount that HIBS refused to pay was 150k ?

Exactly. Not paying £150k would have been criminal but £50k, **** me

The 90+2
04-05-2020, 08:25 PM
A poor attempt at me at being sarcastic.

What I should’ve said is that there were prolific posters on here who ridiculed anyone that suggested that Hibs did indeed have the chance to sign LG for a nominal sum.

Okay makes sense.

What I don’t get is why posters are now laughing at it like it was a made up rumour and adding more to it if it wasn’t a rumour? It’s went over my head that one.

Billy Whizz
04-05-2020, 08:26 PM
Okay makes sense.

What I don’t get is why posters are now laughing at it like it was a made up rumour and adding more to it if it wasn’t a rumour? It’s went over my head that one.

It wasn’t a made up rumour, it was a fact at the time
Petrie!

The 90+2
04-05-2020, 08:28 PM

Looks the bargain of the century! I’m guessing it was when he came on loan from Wolves and played under Calderwood and Fenlon? He wasn’t as good as his second season but that’s mental. We must have known Celtic where kicking about also though come the end of the season. Was it in the jan we could have made it permanent? iPhone podcasts isn’t letting download yet. Should have made ourselves a very decent wedge.

The 90+2
04-05-2020, 08:29 PM
It wasn’t a made up rumour, it was a fact at the time
Petrie!

So Petrie said we could get him for £150k but declined and Sparky is now saying it was £50k?

Water under the bridge but I’m not getting the general sarcasm about fags etc nd big Gaz if Petrie confirmed it?

Billy Whizz
04-05-2020, 08:30 PM
So Petrie said we could get him for £150k but declined and Sparky is now saying it was £50k?

Water under the bridge but I’m not getting the general sarcasm about fags etc nd big Gaz if Petrie confirmed it?

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?250676-Ways-of-keeping-Sparky-(merged)

BILLYHIBS
04-05-2020, 08:34 PM
Okay makes sense.

If something is repeated often enough by posters not in the know it becomes to be accepted as being a “ fact” and therefore true ( allegedly) probably more of an “ injoke” but even better when the truth actually comes out as it usually does eventually

BILLYHIBS
04-05-2020, 08:42 PM
Looks the bargain of the century! I’m guessing it was when he came on loan from Wolves and played under Calderwood and Fenlon? He wasn’t as good as his second season but that’s mental. We must have known Celtic where kicking about also though come the end of the season. Was it in the jan we could have made it permanent? iPhone podcasts isn’t letting download yet. Should have made ourselves a very decent wedge.
Probably better watching it yourself to draw your own conclusions but he went back to Wolves in January having scored 20 we had an option to buy @ 50k Wolves said to him just go back to HIBS until the summer but they had an option to extend for another year but HIBS thought Wolves didn’t want him so hedged their bets but by the end of the season Sparky had scored 29 so they said send him back but the Wolves Manager changed blah blah
Just madness man bargain of the century
Si Ferry even asks him “Did you no tell HIBS just to pay it?”

Billy Whizz
04-05-2020, 08:43 PM
If something is repeated often enough by posters not in the know it becomes to be accepted as being a “ fact” and therefore true ( allegedly) probably more of an “ injoke” but even better when the truth actually comes out as it usually does eventually

See what you’ve started on here BILLYHIBS😄

BILLYHIBS
04-05-2020, 08:45 PM
See what you’ve started on here BILLYHIBS😄
I can see me being mutually consented 😃

Only joking

Michael
04-05-2020, 08:58 PM
He'd have been a bargain at 500K, nevermind 50K. He was by far our best player - such a costly mistake.

The 90+2
04-05-2020, 09:32 PM
Probably better watching it yourself to draw your own conclusions but he went back to Wolves in January having scored 20 we had an option to buy @ 50k Wolves said to him just go back to HIBS until the summer but they had an option to extend for another year but HIBS thought Wolves didn’t want him so hedged their bets but by the end of the season Sparky had scored 29 so they said send him back but the Wolves Manager changed blah blah
Just madness man bargain of the century
Si Ferry even asks him “Did you no tell HIBS just to pay it?”

Where’s the pet shop boys when you need them?

Och well.

BILLYHIBS
04-05-2020, 09:51 PM
Where’s the pet shop boys when you need them?

Och well.

It’s a sin!

DTS
04-05-2020, 10:29 PM
LG also confirms he was due to come back to us on loan first season in the championship. Had his gotta ready to play at ibrox on the Monday night I believe the game when Cummings scored 2 and Ronny Delia changes his mind at 3pm that day.

BILLYHIBS
05-05-2020, 05:38 AM
LG also confirms he was due to come back to us on loan first season in the championship. Had his gotta ready to play at ibrox on the Monday night I believe the game when Cummings scored 2 and Ronny Delia changes his mind at 3pm that day.

Shudda been a HIBS player by then and we missed a massive sell on opportunity for the sake of 50k

Ronny Delia entitled to change his mind

Since452
05-05-2020, 07:01 AM
The James McPake interview is very good too. Terry Butcher had them doing some weird things before games like blowing up balloons. Nuts.

Said a lot of the players couldn't give a **** about the cup final. Recommended watch.

Frazerbob
05-05-2020, 07:33 AM
Not at all what I expected. Leigh comes across as very level headed and sensible. Seems a really decent guy.

Nicho87
05-05-2020, 08:20 AM
Video coincidentally doesn’t catch griffs answer when he was asked about having season tickets as youngster etc, call me a cynic but they wouldn’t allow him to be saying yeah massive hibs fans season ticket every year.

Peevemor
05-05-2020, 08:23 AM
Not at all what I expected. Leigh comes across as very level headed and sensible. Seems a really decent guy.

I've only listened to a wee bit but I agree.

I have to say though that I don't believe that Hibs passed up on signing him for the sake of £50k - there must be another reson why it didn't happen - wage demands?

chrisski33
05-05-2020, 10:26 AM

I have to say though that I don't believe that Hibs passed up on signing him for the sake of £50k - there must be another reson why it didn't happen - wage demands?

Leigh says he thinks that hibs could have signed him for 50k. So in other words its not definate.

Also reading that He wants to end his career at Celtic on BBC

JimBHibees
05-05-2020, 10:47 AM

No way we would have turned that down imo. As you say will be another reason.

PaulSmith
05-05-2020, 02:04 PM
Leigh says he thinks that hibs could have signed him for 50k. So in other words its not definate.

Also reading that He wants to end his career at Celtic on BBC

The quote was something like Leigh’s agent said to him that “Hibs could’ve had you for £50k but they thought that Wolves wouldn’t take up their one-year option so decided to sit tight until the summer and sign for nothing”

History shows that he went onto score another c18 goals, Wolves got relegated and decided to keep him for the extra season.

I’m certain that at the time LG wouldn’t have been difficult to deal with in terms of wages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
05-05-2020, 02:24 PM
The quote was something like Leigh’s agent said to him that “Hibs could’ve had you for £50k but they thought that Wolves wouldn’t take up their one-year option so decided to sit tight until the summer and sign for nothing”

History shows that he went onto score another c18 goals, Wolves got relegated and decided to keep him for the extra season.

I’m certain that at the time LG wouldn’t have been difficult to deal with in terms of wages.

Why are you certain of that? He has literally always taken the biggest wages on offer. If another club offered the 50k he would probably have gone.

Peevemor
05-05-2020, 02:29 PM

I heard him saying - "Hibs could have signed me for £50k or something - I only found out after"

I'm convinced that Hibs would have been willing to spend more than £50k rather than risk him going elsewhere when his contract was up.

The 90+2
05-05-2020, 02:39 PM
The disappointing thing from all of that is he seems to be fully Celtic minded now and wants to finish his career there. We will now seem like sloppy seconds if he gets no contract. A bit similar to the Thomson comments that people went over the top about recently.

The 90+2
05-05-2020, 02:40 PM
I heard him saying - "Hibs could have signed me for £50k or something - I only found out after"

I'm convinced that Hibs would have been willing to spend more than £50k rather than risk him going elsewhere when his contract was up.

Perhaps Hibs didn’t think Wolves would want to use the year extension and still pay Leigh’s wages for another year? Still doesn’t make much sense they done that to be honest.

S4uzee
05-05-2020, 03:11 PM
The disappointing thing from all of that is he seems to be fully Celtic minded now and wants to finish his career there. We will now seem like sloppy seconds if he gets no contract. A bit similar to the Thomson comments that people went over the top about recently.

It wouldn’t go down well if he answered that question and said “no, I want to leave Celtic and play for Hibs again”. We know how sensitive Celtic fans are when someone who plays for them supports another team.

He gave the correct answer IMO.

MWHIBBIES
05-05-2020, 03:36 PM

Be quiet, you'll ruin the myth that he is some massive, die hard Hibby.

The 90+2
05-05-2020, 03:38 PM
It wouldn’t go down well if he answered that question and said “no, I want to leave Celtic and play for Hibs again”. We know how sensitive Celtic fans are when someone who plays for them supports another team.

He gave the correct answer IMO.

Yet Thomson gave the wrong answer, while employed by Rangers saying that he wants to manage Rangers one day? 😁

The 90+2
05-05-2020, 03:40 PM

😁 he probably was but money talks. Can see him losing his way to Celtic though. They have stuck by him through tough times and made him a fortune so I don’t hold any grudges (nor I would if it was Rangers).

mjhibby
05-05-2020, 06:53 PM
What’s done is done. Griffiths would have only stayed for maybe 18 months as the bids would have come on for him. Really looking forward to seeing this. Best striker of a ball bar Archibald I’ve seen.

Billy Whizz
05-05-2020, 06:56 PM
What’s done is done. Griffiths would have only stayed for maybe 18 months as the bids would have come on for him. Really looking forward to seeing this. Best striker of a ball bar Archibald I’ve seen.

That’s some accolade. Riordan could strike a ball, as good as anyone I’ve seen at Hibs, and with both feet too

we are hibs
05-05-2020, 07:16 PM
Why are you certain of that? He has literally always taken the biggest wages on offer. If another club offered the 50k he would probably have gone.

😂

The 90+2
05-05-2020, 07:28 PM
😂

Lukey!!! 💚😁

mjhibby
06-05-2020, 12:43 AM
That’s some accolade. Riordan could strike a ball, as good as anyone I’ve seen at Hibs, and with both feet too

Deek was top notch but didn’t score goals like the semi winner v Falkirk or his free kicks v hertz. According to guys who knew him in the youths he was the best finisher anybody had seen it was his reputation that stopped him reaching the top earlier. He a moaning wee sod but only because he’s a winner and gets annoyed when others aren’t putting in maximum effort.

Keith_M
06-05-2020, 06:49 AM
So, no more jokes about being able to get LG for £150k.

LG himself has confirmed we could have got him for next to nothing.

hibbysam
06-05-2020, 09:13 AM
Deek was top notch but didn’t score goals like the semi winner v Falkirk or his free kicks v hertz. According to guys who knew him in the youths he was the best finisher anybody had seen it was his reputation that stopped him reaching the top earlier. He a moaning wee sod but only because he’s a winner and gets annoyed when others aren’t putting in maximum effort.

He didn’t score goals like the semi winner v Falkirk? Some of his goals against hearts alone were incredible, the one into Gordon at the dunbar end, the one on his left peg at the FF end.

hibbysam
06-05-2020, 09:15 AM
Yet Thomson gave the wrong answer, while employed by Rangers saying that he wants to manage Rangers one day? 😁

Exactly, Thomson acknowledges that he’d like to manage Hibs one day, Griffiths doesn’t even mention that, yet Thomson gets the abuse over it.

mjhibby
06-05-2020, 09:28 AM
Can’t think of two better free kicks that the one at the pbs in the 2-1 win and the amazing one that wasn’t given. Purely as a striker of a dead ball LG is the best. Imho of course.

Heisenberg
06-05-2020, 09:30 AM

He scored plenty free kicks like that and plenty goals just as good as the Falkirk semi final. Both fantastic players.

Cabbage East
06-05-2020, 09:38 AM

I've seen some slavers on here over the years but this is absolutely mental.

Andy74
06-05-2020, 09:52 AM
So, no more jokes about being able to get LG for £150k.

LG himself has confirmed we could have got him for next to nothing.

He hasn’t really confirmed anything. Sounds very much like he doesn’t really know and he’s going on one thing he was told later.

Since452
06-05-2020, 09:58 AM

Riordan is still the most deadly Hibs player I've seen from around 25/30 yards. Griffiths very close.

BILLYHIBS
06-05-2020, 10:16 AM
Can’t think of two better free kicks that the one at the pbs in the 2-1 win and the amazing one that wasn’t given. Purely as a striker of a dead ball LG is the best. Imho of course.

Don’t forget the two versus England just a shame Stuart Armstrong couldn’t play keep ball

As Griffiths said if Scotland had won he would have been the new William Wallace :greengrin

Deeks was good anaw especially against Hearts

Hibeesmad
06-05-2020, 06:06 PM
He hasn’t really confirmed anything. Sounds very much like he doesn’t really know and he’s going on one thing he was told later.

Doubt his agent would lie about it.

Danderhall Hibs
06-05-2020, 09:25 PM
Really good interview. Would love the Griff to play for Hibs again.

Always impresses me when a player remembers the fine details of games he’s played in or players played alongside

I’m the same - it amazes me how much a lot of them can’t remember.

California-Hibs
07-05-2020, 04:05 AM
He clearly references how big a Hibee he is throughout and refers to us as his boyhood team. Especially love the part where he talks about playing at Tynecastle shortly after we won the Scottish in 2016 and after Hearts started singing their rubbish he was quick to point out that he was there when Hibs won the cup too! Said it with a big smile and also went on to talk about when Rangers beat Celtic on penalties in the Semi Final, it was especially sweet for him to be in the Hibs end and it be Rangers we beat to lift the cup!

He's one of our own.

mjhibby
07-05-2020, 06:50 AM
I’m the same - it amazes me how much a lot of them can’t remember.

He’s obviously a football nut. Would have loved to have played beside him. Dead easy. Just lay the ball into the right area. A massive hibby too.

Weegreenman
08-05-2020, 07:59 AM
Really disappointing to hear we were so tight that we couldn’t find 50k. I know it was a while back but I’d love someone to stick a mic under Petrie’s tash to see if we can get some kind of explanation.

The other big thing was the cup final. Apparently we had players who weren’t “bothered”. The finger being firmly pointed at some of the loan players. What an actual disgrace. There should have been murders in that dressing room after the final.

On a more positive note, I hope the club have learned lessons from back then regards too many loan signings.

Oh and Matt Docherty should never be allowed back across the Scottish border! Welt of a guy!

MWHIBBIES
08-05-2020, 09:35 AM
Really disappointing to hear we were so tight that we couldn’t find 50k. I know it was a while back but I’d love someone to stick a mic under Petrie’s tash to see if we can get some kind of explanation.

The other big thing was the cup final. Apparently we had players who weren’t “bothered”. The finger being firmly pointed at some of the loan players. What an actual disgrace. There should have been murders in that dressing room after the final.

On a more positive note, I hope the club have learned lessons from back then regards too many loan signings.

Oh and Matt Docherty should never be allowed back across the Scottish border! Welt of a guy!

I'd take him back here in a second. He is a quality premier league right back who made some daft comments. Far worse were guys like O'Connor who couldn't even stay in shape, got in trouble with the police, laughed and joked after the final and went out that night.

Betty Boop
08-05-2020, 09:57 AM
Thought he would have wanted to end his career at Hibs rather than them. Him being a massive Hibby an all.

SideBurns
08-05-2020, 09:58 AM
I'd take him back here in a second. He is a quality premier league right back who made some daft comments. Far worse were guys like O'Connor who couldn't even stay in shape, got in trouble with the police, laughed and joked after the final and went out that night.

Totally agree. If Doherty signed for Hibs tomorrow he'd be the best player at the club by a mile. He got involved in an ill-advised Twitter spat in the aftermath and, as is often the case in the heat of the moment, said something daft. He was 19 years old - I'm glad some of the stupid stuff I came out with when I was 19 isn't held against me!

Also, this idea that players "weren't bothered"; they could be bothered to get us to the cup final in the first place, they could be bothered to save us from relegation, but when they had the chance to become club legends and get SC winners medals suddenly they couldn't be @rsed? We were crap, the tactics were wrong, and Hearts should've been down to 10 men but even at that the team walked off at half-time to cheers having just got back into the game with McPake's goal. Then the ref made his second significant intervention in Hearts favour and the game was over. That's what happened.

I loved watching Sparky in a Hibs Jersey and would be over the moon if he was ever to return. But perhaps it's convenient for guys like him and O'Connor to shift the blame onto loan players for a result no Hibs fan would wish to be associated with.

Frazerbob
08-05-2020, 10:18 AM
Totally agree. If Doherty signed for Hibs tomorrow he'd be the best player at the club by a mile. He got involved in an ill-advised Twitter spat in the aftermath and, as is often the case in the heat of the moment, said something daft. He was 19 years old - I'm glad some of the stupid stuff I came out with when I was 19 isn't held against me!

Also, this idea that players "weren't bothered"; they could be bothered to get us to the cup final in the first place, they could be bothered to save us from relegation, but when they had the chance to become club legends and get SC winners medals suddenly they couldn't be @rsed? We were crap, the tactics were wrong, and Hearts should've been down to 10 men but even at that the team walked off at half-time to cheers having just got back into the game with McPake's goal. Then the ref made his second significant intervention in Hearts favour and the game was over. That's what happened.

I loved watching Sparky in a Hibs Jersey and would be over the moon if he was ever to return. But perhaps it's convenient for guys like him and O'Connor to shift the blame onto loan players for a result no Hibs fan would wish to be associated with.

The ‘couldnie be bothered’ accusations are more about the reactions afterwards as well. If you listen to James McPake’s interview he talks about how for some, the game will live with them forever whilst for others, they probably don’t give it a second thought. There’s levels of caring.

SideBurns
08-05-2020, 10:23 AM
The ‘couldnie be bothered’ accusations are more about the reactions afterwards as well. If you listen to James McPake’s interview he talks about how for some, the game will live with them forever whilst for others, they probably don’t give it a second thought. There’s levels of caring.

I've misinterpreted that then. I suppose it makes sense that guys who were lifelong Hibbies (or even Scottish guys with more understanding of the significance of the occasion) would feel it more than the boys disappearing back to their parent clubs, who were likely glad the experience was behind them. I could understand the anger though - if I was sitting in a changing room after a cup final defeat and guys were laughing and joking (if that's what they were doing) I'd be raging too.

I stand by my Doherty comments though - and, btw, thought he was a very good player for us while on loan!

Danderhall Hibs
08-05-2020, 10:38 AM

:agree: The McPake interview was excellent as well.

Weegreenman
08-05-2020, 10:46 AM

Your no wrong about having him back in a second. That’s me just being bitter at what he allegedly said in the aftermath. From what I remember of him, I really liked him as a player. The game at Ayr Utd stands out for me, were I remember he was outstanding.

we are hibs
08-05-2020, 10:53 AM
Doherty is a fanny.

Weegreenman
08-05-2020, 11:00 AM
I remind Hearts supporters at every opportunity that quite a few of the players they had on their books would never have been retained under normal circumstances. Hence the word “tainted” gets used and believe me when I say I’m not bitter.

Im more bitter about sone of the stories that have come out about some of our so called legends.