PDA

View Full Version : Favourite stadiums of Scotland and the World?

wearehibernian
04-05-2020, 03:13 PM
Just wondering what everyone's favourites are, aside from Easter Road? Especially given that we might not be in one for quite some time... :tee hee:
Also wanted to give a wee plug to a facebook page I set up a while back. Been getting lots of new members this past week with folk from across Europe and even South America sticking up some really interesting stadiums. Have found it relieves quite a lot of lockdown boredom.
You can find it here for anyone interested: https://www.facebook.com/groups/stadiumgeeks/

Smartie
04-05-2020, 03:25 PM
A controversial one - Hampden.

It’s our national stadium and the place that holds my happiest and also my most bitter of footballing memories, both club and national team.

Yes, it is currently a 5hithole that is barely fit for purpose, but there’s just something about it.

We need to find a way to turn it into something that we can properly be proud of again.

HH81
04-05-2020, 03:40 PM
Wembley and Arsenal are two of my stand outs in England.

I quite like Hillsborough for some reason still feels like a proper ground but with seats.

To be fair Sheffield United ground is quite like it too.

In Scotland I liked my visits to the smaller grounds - old style.

Wrexham is an old favourite of mine.

Kato
04-05-2020, 03:48 PM
Wembley and Arsenal

Same here, although I've never been to the new Arsenal ground, Highbury was a fantastic old school venue.

I'll mix oranges with apples and say Muirton and The Maracanã.

My favourite abroad and the ground I've visited most and had most laughs in other than ER is the Estadi Municipal de Can Misses, Unión Deportiva Ibiza.

Tom Hart RIP
04-05-2020, 04:13 PM
Went to all Ireland hurling final at Croke Park in Dublin. Great atmosphere. No segregation if I remember correctly.

Since452
04-05-2020, 04:16 PM
Controversial but Ibrox. Creates a brilliant atmosphere. Scotland v Sweden there was one of best I've experienced.

.Sean.
04-05-2020, 04:27 PM

It’s our national stadium and the place that holds my happiest and also my most bitter of footballing memories, both club and national team.

Yes, it is currently a 5hithole that is barely fit for purpose, but there’s just something about it.

We need to find a way to turn it into something that we can properly be proud of again.
Me too. I personally love Hampden.

I canny stand the petty whingeing. ‘Aw the rakes too shallow’, ‘too far from the pitch’ etc

Think yourselves lucky you get to see your team there on a semi-regular basis as the majority don’t. It’s 90 minutes a few times every couple seasons.

Give me Hampden over either of the Old Firm’s stadia, a rugby stadium equally as far from the pitch or the other alternative that people always allude to, a new national stadium somewhere central - ie a Lego set with no history in a field somewhere near Stirling miles from a pub.

On another note best stadium I’ve been in full stop is Hamburg. What a set up.

The 90+2
04-05-2020, 04:32 PM
Me too. I personally love Hampden.

I canny stand the petty whingeing. ‘Aw the rakes too shallow’, ‘too far from the pitch’ etc

Think yourselves lucky you get to see your team there on a semi-regular basis as the majority don’t. It’s 90 minutes a few times every couple seasons.

Give me Hampden over either of the Old Firm’s stadia, a rugby stadium equally as far from the pitch or the other alternative that people always allude to, a new national stadium somewhere central - ie a Lego set with no history in a field somewhere near Stirling miles from a pub.

On another note best stadium I’ve been in full stop is Hamburg. What a set up.

Completely agree with this. Going up the stairs in hampden is special just about to see all the Hibees in the stand then on the pitch.

Never been to Hamburg 😁

wearehibernian
04-05-2020, 04:35 PM

Good call. Whilst not my favourite in many ways it still has to be almost my favourite given those amazing memories of that day. Erased all the pish memories of in one fell swoop! Also agree that are definite ways of making improvements too.

DH1875
04-05-2020, 05:21 PM
I like Hampden too.

In general I think it depends on the game you saw in the stadium. If your a neutral Hibs v Hearts will live in your mind a lot longer than Hibs v St Johnstone.

StevesFamau5
05-05-2020, 12:39 AM
For sheer beauty and the history it represents it's the Stadio Olympico in Rome. It is stunning close up.

But my favourite European stadium is La Rosaleda in Malaga. Especially if you sit near the Fondo Sur, great atmosphere and songs all game.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

The Baldmans Comb
05-05-2020, 01:20 AM
Scotland : Celtc Park not as an away fan.

England: Liverpool.

Germany: Dortmund.

Spain: Mestalla: Valencia.

France: Marseille

Holland: Amsterdam Arena.

Italy: Juventus.

Overall Valencia is everything a football stadium should be.

Noise, passion, history and steep sight lines and city center.

kaimendhibs
05-05-2020, 05:35 AM
Stadion An der Alten Forsterei. Union Berlin. Still mostly standing and cracking atmosphere

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Since90+2
05-05-2020, 05:41 AM
I've been to the Nou Camp , Bernabau , San Siro , Amsterdam Arena , Old Trafford , Stamford Bridge and lots of other grounds of smaller clubs throughout Europe.

My favourite by an absolute mile is the Bernabau ,that stadium had an aura about it that eclipses anything else.

FilipinoHibs
05-05-2020, 07:03 AM
Hampden for Hibs or Scotland games. The Santos FC stadium - a small stadium with some the greatest players on the world on show - Pele, Neymar etc. A small compact ground:

https://pin.it/7A1IkTX

Fuzzywuzzy
05-05-2020, 07:36 AM
I did a tour of the MCG in '95 when it was being redeveloped. It looked amazing then and even better now. No idea what the atmospheres like mind

Keith_M
05-05-2020, 08:00 AM
This one's quite cool....

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2020/04/gladbach-3.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=1024

EI255
05-05-2020, 09:13 AM
Millerntor-Stadion, St Pauli..... A gift from God and an atmosphere like no other. The fans are proper old skool punks, skinheads and anything else that you can think of. The drink flows, yet there is never trouble, just a hell of a noise!

Unfortunately, due to Covid 19, it's unlikely football tourists will get much of a chance to buy tickets for bigger games at the Millerntor-Stadion anytime soon as most games usually sell out or close to sell out. And they are very tightly packed in at this corkin stadium!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200505/92b58900984a6fb0084397422dfb29e7.jpg

Hibeesmad
06-05-2020, 01:24 AM
The Principality/Millenium stadium in Wales has always been a favourite of mine. The Atmosphere is unreal, especially when the roof is closed.

MGmick
06-05-2020, 06:25 AM
This one's quite cool....

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2020/04/gladbach-3.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=1024

Here's one they made earlier. Loved this ground.

Keith_M
06-05-2020, 07:03 AM
Here's one they made earlier. Loved this ground.

Do you go to many Moenchengladbach games?

MGmick
06-05-2020, 07:41 AM
Do you go to many Moenchengladbach games?

Not anymore sadly. Used to live there mid 80@ and early 00@s and was a regular in those times but came back to UK in 03 and haven't been back since.
I'd quite like to visit the new ground as I think it's built pretty much on top of where I used to work but I'm a bit leary about going because I think it'd be a bit sad too. I had a lot of fun times associated with the Bokelberg and (I was a lot younger too) I think I'd just judge the new place too harshly.

Speedy
06-05-2020, 07:41 AM
Completely agree with this. Going up the stairs in hampden is special just about to see all the Hibees in the stand then on the pitch.

Never been to Hamburg 😁

I like the long walk to the entrance to the North (? The asda side) stand.

weecounty hibby
06-05-2020, 08:42 AM
Principality Stadium, Murrayfield, Stade de France, Stadio Olympico, MCG, Old Wembley, Hampden although a dump and has many issues is iconic

HibbyDave
06-05-2020, 08:54 AM
Anderlecht

Steve-O
06-05-2020, 09:07 AM
Just wondering what everyone's favourites are, aside from Easter Road? Especially given that we might not be in one for quite some time... :tee hee:
Also wanted to give a wee plug to a facebook page I set up a while back. Been getting lots of new members this past week with folk from across Europe and even South America sticking up some really interesting stadiums. Have found it relieves quite a lot of lockdown boredom.
You can find it here for anyone interested: https://www.facebook.com/groups/stadiumgeeks/

Just joined that group and been approved, but can’t see any option to actually do a post? Any reason why you can think of?

scm70nyd1973
06-05-2020, 10:15 AM
You can find it here for anyone interested:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/stadiumgeeks/

The MCG is amazing I have to say. The Etihad in the same city is pretty cool. Closer to home Anfield is pretty special as was Upton Park. When we were in the terracing days my fave was a trip to Motherwell and Muirton Park when it was still around.

Since452
06-05-2020, 10:18 AM
Tannadice was a cracking ground when they had the steep terracing along the touchline

BILLYHIBS
06-05-2020, 10:30 AM
The old Tynie was hard to beat fans right on top of the players barry atmosphere I can still smell the pish, pies and baccy

Don’t know what its like now though I haven’t been back since 1990?

:cb

Mibbes Aye
06-05-2020, 10:42 AM
When we were relegated in the late nineties and played Clydebank at Dumbarton’s ground.

Growing up, there were lots of post-apocalyptic themed films. In real life, you never saw the like until you went to that ground. It was like being on a film set for a 1970s futuristic dystopian movie. I am still surprised we weren’t all made to wear white jumpsuits and some sort of wristband communicator.

As for abroad, Bohemians in Prague is rough and ready and a sheer treat. Proper ground, only half-built, where you can smell the beer and urine in equal measure. My favourite ground outwith ER for sure.

Belenenses in Lisbon is another great ground. In theory the stadium is the same size as us, but there was some blow-up and the senior club moved into the city centre. I think it is a sixth-tier side who have it now. It is very old-school in design. but has views across to the massive statue of Jesus - Cristo Rei - essentially like the statue in Rio de Janeiro, and their duel car/train bridge across the Tagus, which is a bit iconic in the way the Forth Rail Bridge is for us.

I have been to the Emirates to see Arsenal, in the cheapest seats and probably had the best sightlines I have ever had. I go, or did go, to the cricket a lot and the sightlines there tend to be really good. Old Trafford probably the best for watching, but Edgbaston better for overall experience.

Buck Mulligan
06-05-2020, 11:07 AM
Went to all Ireland hurling final at Croke Park in Dublin. Great atmosphere. No segregation if I remember correctly.

My favourite stadium also. Attended my first all Ireland final in 76 and have seen football and rugby internationals there. And you are right, no segregation at GAA grounds which adds to the enjoyment.

Other ground in Scotland, Somerset park.

Gloucester Hibs
06-05-2020, 11:24 AM
2018 I put a bid in to Emirates using some air miles for corporate hospitality for the North London Derby - I won! Emirates Skybox (best seats in the house), heated seats, pre-match meal in the box, free bevvy etc. Superb. Was a decent game too, 4-2 to the Gunners.

Bristolhibby
06-05-2020, 04:30 PM
The Principality/Millenium stadium in Wales has always been a favourite of mine. The Atmosphere is unreal, especially when the roof is closed.

Have to echo this. Long before we had decent stadiums in the U.K. The Millenium lead the way.

Steep sides, hell of a racket, retractable roof, easy to get in and out of.

It’s location definitely helps. Off the train, and bam there it is. Hundreds of pubs then Straight in. None of this jumping on a bus or having to walk for an hour and a half.

Others have fought up. Hate to say it but Wembley is great (it ought to be). Used to moan at the logistics of getting to there, but traveled with a number of Londoners for various games and I think my record is 30 minutes from leaving the stadium to arriving at Paddington (via Marylebone).

J

Speedy
06-05-2020, 05:38 PM
The old Tynie was hard to beat fans right on top of the players barry atmosphere I can still smell the pish, pies and baccy

:cb

Nice to be reminded to watch out for pickpockets as well. Don't want to get too complacent

BILLYHIBS
06-05-2020, 05:45 PM
Nice to be reminded to watch out for pickpockets as well. Don't want to get too complacent

:greengrin

And the terracing at the Gorgie Road End was a safety hazard one year it collapsed and a Hibby broke his leg :confused:

IIRC

Dalianwanda
06-05-2020, 05:49 PM
Bilbaos stadium is stunning. No the best for atmosphere but in terms of beautiful architecture i don’t see who rivals it.

St Pauli Hibee
06-05-2020, 05:50 PM
Being biased the Millerntor Stadion (St Pauli) nothing compares to that & I've been to Dortmund. In terms of a picturesque stadium the Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta is something else, pitty they have a plastic pitch though.

lapsedhibee
06-05-2020, 05:56 PM

Don't mind Tinycastle either, old or new (probably we're both old enough to remember winning there reasonably often).

PatHead
06-05-2020, 06:09 PM
When we were relegated in the late nineties and played Clydebank at Dumbarton’s ground.

Growing up, there were lots of post-apocalyptic themed films. In real life, you never saw the like until you went to that ground. It was like being on a film set for a 1970s futuristic dystopian movie. I am still surprised we weren’t all made to wear white jumpsuits and some sort of wristband communicator.

As for abroad, Bohemians in Prague is rough and ready and a sheer treat. Proper ground, only half-built, where you can smell the beer and urine in equal measure. My favourite ground outwith ER for sure.

Belenenses in Lisbon is another great ground. In theory the stadium is the same size as us, but there was some blow-up and the senior club moved into the city centre. I think it is a sixth-tier side who have it now. It is very old-school in design. but has views across to the massive statue of Jesus - Cristo Rei - essentially like the statue in Rio de Janeiro, and their duel car/train bridge across the Tagus, which is a bit iconic in the way the Forth Rail Bridge is for us.

I have been to the Emirates to see Arsenal, in the cheapest seats and probably had the best sightlines I have ever had. I go, or did go, to the cricket a lot and the sightlines there tend to be really good. Old Trafford probably the best for watching, but Edgbaston better for overall experience.

Do they sell Portuguese Tarts at the Belenese pie stand? Would be worth the visit purely for that.

Mibbes Aye
06-05-2020, 06:17 PM
Do they sell Portuguese Tarts at the Belenese pie stand? Would be worth the visit purely for that.

The Belem shop that is most famous for them is walking distance to the ground. I’m not sweet-toothed so I didn’t trouble the kiosks inside the ground for those custard tarts. My abiding memory is that there is a petrol station in between the stadium and a World Heritage Site monastery. It is big and has standing tables, because that is where you grab and drink beers before the match! As with other Portuguese grounds there are mobile bars scattered around the stadium. I have not been since the senior team decanted into the city centre so can’t speak to what it has been like. Hopefully back when things are up and running

Pretty Boy
06-05-2020, 06:19 PM
I like Somerset Park. It's an old fashioned ground that feels proper.

I also like Ibrox as a stadium, it must be a phenomenal atmosphere to be a player in. You can see why players freeze there. It's also glorious when it falls silent when you are beating them.

Abroad I loved the Olympiastadion in Berlin. Not the best for atmosphere because it has the running track issue but the architecture is amazing and the history is almost palpable.

The 90+2
06-05-2020, 06:28 PM
St James for me. Ideal location build amazing and just a proper football stadium slap bang in the middle of a football city. You get the feeling the city is build around the ground more than anything. Out of the UK watching Malaga is pretty special with their support against one of the big boys.

NoTottiNoParty
06-05-2020, 06:34 PM
For sheer beauty and the history it represents it's the Stadio Olympico in Rome. It is stunning close up.

But my favourite European stadium is La Rosaleda in Malaga. Especially if you sit near the Fondo Sur, great atmosphere and songs all game.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Agree re Stadio Olimpico. Blew me away as a 16 year old when I went with my dad and brother. Would have loved a Rome derby back in the day but a bit watered down now with the lunchtime kick offs and fan protests.

Went to a Seville derby a couple of years ago at Betis ground. Probably the best atmosphere I’ve experienced in Europe. It was a derby though and betis equalised late and qualified for Europe!

In terms of what Hibs could be like, Groningens ground looked class and was a decent atmosphere when we went to the Utrecht game last year.

Billy Whizz
06-05-2020, 06:43 PM
We have got a lot of poor stadiums, for visiting fans. At ER at least we give away fans good views, unlike Parkhead and Ibrox

Some of my favourite Scottish grounds like Hampden, I only go there for big games.
Strangely enough I like the away Stand at Hamilton. Even the front row is 10 feet above ground level, so everyone gets a great view. It’s something I think other clubs should look at
Always enjoyed away games at Dunfermline too

Iggy Pope
06-05-2020, 06:46 PM
The Mestalla is some place if you have a head for heights.
I think Betis have upgraded the Benito Villamarin since I was there but it used to be a beautiful old wreck of a place.
Craven Cottage was a fine old ground but it’s getting upgraded, probably to its detriment. I liked Maine Road as well And it was a League One / Div 2 game v Gillingham and there was a fine atmosphere.
Bootham Crescent is on its death bed and is a proper old ground, with York City about to relocate.
If you get the chance though do not miss out on Boca Juniors at La Bombanera. Pisses all over River Plate.
Can’t see past the likes of St James’ or the terribly named Stadium of Light for a bevvy though.
Up here, I always like a trip to Tannadice.

Billy Whizz
06-05-2020, 06:50 PM
The Mestalla is some place if you have a head for heights.
I think Betis have upgraded the Benito Villamarin since I was there but it used to be a beautiful old wreck of a place.
Craven Cottage was a fine old ground but it’s getting upgraded, probably to its detriment. I liked Maine Road as well And it was a League One / Div 2 game v Gillingham and there was a fine atmosphere.
Bootham Crescent is on its death bed and is a proper old ground, with York City about to relocate.
If you get the chance though do not miss out on Boca Juniors at La Bombanera. Pisses all over River Plate.
Can’t see past the likes of St James’ or the terribly named Stadium of Light for a bevvy though.
Up here, I always like a trip to Tannadice.

Iggy, like me you seem to like the older grounds. Yes we need to move on, but some of the newer stadiums in Scotland, have terrible views. Namely St Johnstone, Caley and County

Great thing about Tannnadice, it’s an enclosed stadium too

Keith_M
06-05-2020, 06:57 PM
Not anymore sadly. Used to live there mid 80@ and early 00@s and was a regular in those times but came back to UK in 03 and haven't been back since.
I'd quite like to visit the new ground as I think it's built pretty much on top of where I used to work but I'm a bit leary about going because I think it'd be a bit sad too. I had a lot of fun times associated with the Bokelberg and (I was a lot younger too) I think I'd just judge the new place too harshly.

Yeah, maybe the memories would get to you, bring a tear to the eye.

Iggy Pope
06-05-2020, 07:01 PM
Iggy, like me you seem to like the older grounds. Yes we need to move on, but some of the newer stadiums in Scotland, have terrible views. Namely St Johnstone, Caley and County

Great thing about Tannnadice, it’s an enclosed stadium too

I enjoy Dingwall as much as I hate the other two.

Billy Whizz
06-05-2020, 07:04 PM
I enjoy Dingwall as much as I hate the other two.

What you mean is you like the trip to Dingwall😄

marinello59
06-05-2020, 07:04 PM
Somerset Park in Ayr is a cracking wee ground with proper terracing.
Down south Brentford’s Griffin Park had it all, old style charm and a pub on every corner. Sadly it has seen its last game now, phased out without fanfare during this crisis.

Keith_M
06-05-2020, 07:09 PM
Somerset Park in Ayr is a cracking wee ground with proper terracing.
Down south Brentford’s Griffin Park had it all, old style charm and a pub on every corner. Sadly it has seen its last game now, phased out without fanfare during this crisis.

That's a shame. Where are the moving to?

marinello59
06-05-2020, 07:13 PM
That's a shame. Where are the moving to?

They have a new stadium near Kew Bridge so they haven’t moved far.

S4uzee
06-05-2020, 07:34 PM
I think I’ll struggle to better the Bernabau for a game

Renfrew_Hibby
06-05-2020, 07:48 PM

The new stadium looks a cracker.

Stonewall
06-05-2020, 07:50 PM

Totally agree about Edgbaston, went to a test there v’s Australia in the 90s and it was an absolute hoot. I love Lords too but in a different way.

Other favourites are Palmerston (old school ground and Grandad had an s.t.), also Ayr, Tannadice before redevelopment and Upton Park.

Of the new generation of Stadiums, the new Ajax Stadium and the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

wearehibernian
07-05-2020, 08:35 AM

And the terracing at the Gorgie Road End was a safety hazard one year it collapsed and a Hibby broke his leg :confused:

IIRC

I remember that vividly. I was watching the game above that exit tunnel and was saying to my pal 'just wait a second til there is less folk leaving'. And then the side of the tunnel just crumbled. Actually could have been much worse from memory and was never really reported on. Strange because I'm sure it was roughly around the time of all those horrendous stadium tragedies. Maybe 86/87 or thereabouts?

Craig_in_Prague
07-05-2020, 08:48 AM

I have a season ticket for many years to Bohemians, I love behind the goals, it reminds me a bit of the old ER.

Missing going along and beers during and pre game :-(

marinello59
07-05-2020, 09:17 AM
Totally agree about Edgbaston, went to a test there v’s Australia in the 90s and it was an absolute hoot. I love Lords too but in a different way.

Other favourites are Palmerston (old school ground and Grandad had an s.t.), also Ayr, Tannadice before redevelopment and Upton Park.

Of the new generation of Stadiums, the new Ajax Stadium and the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

If we are talking non- fitba stadiums then Edgbaston has to be right up there. I watched the T20 finals day from the Eric Hollies stand a few years back, one of the best sporting days out I have ever had.

EI255
07-05-2020, 10:09 AM
I have a season ticket for many years to Bohemians, I love behind the goals, it reminds me a bit of the old ER.

Missing going along and beers during and pre game :-(Been there a few times mate, it's a brilliant wee stadium and atmosphere. Saturday afternoon in the sun, amongst the Bohs ultras sipping cold Praha beers (and inhaling the Moroccan stuff), what's not to like!

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

dalkeith stu
07-05-2020, 12:10 PM
I think I’ll struggle to better the Bernabau for a game

Sh*te!! The Metropolitano is the place to be!! Missed out on going to the Calderón unfortunately!!😪😪

nonshinyfinish
07-05-2020, 12:23 PM
Sh*te!! The Metropolitano is the place to be!! Missed out on going to the Calderón unfortunately!!😪😪

The Calderon was superb – great atmosphere, cracking view of the game, and an unusual design that stands out from the generic 'massive bowl' grounds. (Plus a motorway going under the main stand.)

The game I was at was when Torres scored his 100th goal for Atletico. I'd figured out from something on the screen before the game that he must be on 99 goals, but once he came off the bench the crowd absolutely willing him to score was something else. Found out later that he'd not played much because of injury and he'd been on 99 goals for about 20 games…

Was the same weekend that Hanlon earned the money-spinning replay.

Mibbes Aye
07-05-2020, 05:06 PM

Missing going along and beers during and pre game :-(

Only ever sat in the stand. It’s great when the oppo keeper is at the ultras end and they do the donkey chant when he takes a goal kick :greengrin

Žižkov is a nice wee ground as well. It makes Bohemka look plush though :greengrin

Keith_M
07-05-2020, 05:47 PM

Cheers

:aok:

Craig_in_Prague
07-05-2020, 06:12 PM
Only ever sat in the stand. It’s great when the oppo keeper is at the ultras end and they do the donkey chant when he takes a goal kick :greengrin

Žižkov is a nice wee ground as well. It makes Bohemka look plush though :greengrin

I've had 2 seasons in the stand , but when it's nice weather I prefer standing with a beer so we have mainly stuck with behind the goals.

My last attended match before this pandemic was actually Zizkov V Dukla, 10am kick off on a Saturday, cracking crowd and beer flowing, was goosed by the time liverpool Bournemouth came on later 🤣

Mibbes Aye
07-05-2020, 06:50 PM
I've had 2 seasons in the stand , but when it's nice weather I prefer standing with a beer so we have mainly stuck with behind the goals.

My last attended match before this pandemic was actually Zizkov V Dukla, 10am kick off on a Saturday, cracking crowd and beer flowing, was goosed by the time liverpool Bournemouth came on later 🤣

Yeah, I don't know why Zizkov start so early, it's a regular thing, but it can make for a messy day :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
07-05-2020, 07:01 PM

Were Dukla Prague in their away kit?

Craig_in_Prague
07-05-2020, 07:04 PM
Were Dukla Prague in their away kit?

Yes, Yellow.

nonshinyfinish
07-05-2020, 07:06 PM
Yes, Yellow.

Good to hear.

Hillsidehibby
07-05-2020, 09:34 PM
Ok i have been in a few football grounds over the quite considerable years but the best time ever was on The Hill in the Sydney Cricket Ground.

Where ever will you have endless sunshine, endless beer, loads of tidy kittens in bikinis, loads of punch ups and see England getting beat?

EdinMike
07-05-2020, 10:06 PM
Not exactly football however Fenway Park in Boston to watch a baseball game is up there for experiences. I don’t think the locals liked my idea that baseball is just grown up rounders. But walking up to the stadium, underestimating the sheer size of the stands and the day itself is something I’ll never forget.

McSwanky
07-05-2020, 10:06 PM
I like Somerset Park. It's an old fashioned ground that feels proper.

I also like Ibrox as a stadium, it must be a phenomenal atmosphere to be a player in. You can see why players freeze there. It's also glorious when it falls silent when you are beating them.

Bizarrely they are my two favourite Scottish grounds too!

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Hibeesmad
07-05-2020, 11:17 PM
Haven't seen anyone mention Elland Road, heard good things about it in the past, anyone been?

Mibbes Aye
08-05-2020, 02:32 AM

Just out of curiousity, do you go to Zizkov often? There’s a possibility we might have sat together. Do you know Dan from Burnley?

Mixu62
08-05-2020, 04:29 AM
Not been to many outside Scotland but I've always liked the look of QPR's ground. It's not huge or stunning or anything, but like how the crowd are so close to the pitch and the stands look like the ones subuteo use to make!

Recently been to Suncorp Stadium (aka Laing Park) in Brisbane. To me it's an example of what Hampden could have been. Similar capacity but with far better access and facilities. Though as I was there for "socka" there was too small a crowd in too big a stadium for any atmosphere. Decent game tho and got to see 2 ex Hibbies playing. (McLaren and O'Donovan)

Craig_in_Prague
08-05-2020, 06:48 AM
Just out of curiousity, do you go to Zizkov often? There’s a possibility we might have sat together. Do you know Dan from Burnley?

No and no,

I go very rarely to Zizkov.

It would turn me into a raging alky lol

Mibbes Aye
08-05-2020, 05:54 PM
No and no,

I go very rarely to Zizkov.

It would turn me into a raging alky lol

The early start can make for some day. Zizkov first thing, an afternoon game, then the tail-end of a hockey game or a pub with an EPL evening match on!

I asked because there is a reasonably sizeable group of expats, English-speaking but not necessarily U.K., who go to Zizkov games. They sit in line with the centre circle, on the far side as you go in.

Craig_in_Prague
08-05-2020, 07:33 PM

The early start can make for some day. Zizkov first thing, an afternoon game, then the tail-end of a hockey game or a pub with an EPL evening match on!

I asked because there is a reasonably sizeable group of expats, English-speaking but not necessarily U.K., who go to Zizkov games. They sit in line with the centre circle, on the far side as you go in.

I see. They get a decent enough crowd for being in the 2nd league. The area itself is popular for expats so it makes sense. The early drinking might play a big part :-)

Before I moved here I went with my wife to Ibrox for the Rangers V Zizkov game in europe. It was so much fun, especially as zizkov scored in the last minute to win on away goals (and rangers missed 2 penalties in the 1st leg in Prague). There couldn't have been more than 15 of us in the away end at ibrox. Great memories.

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-05-2020, 11:14 AM

Zizkov is a cracking drinking area. Myself and my mate went to what was meant to be Bohemians last game at their old stadium v Kladno 8/5/10, not sure if the move went ahead or not

Craig_in_Prague
09-05-2020, 12:49 PM
Zizkov is a cracking drinking area. Myself and my mate went to what was meant to be Bohemians last game at their old stadium v Kladno 8/5/10, not sure if the move went ahead or not

We moved to share with Slavia for a season or so and then moved back. There was issues with ownership on the land (continued even after locating back to Dolicek) and everything seems to have been finally resolved,..
so nice to be back home!

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-05-2020, 06:31 PM
We moved to share with Slavia for a season or so and then moved back. There was issues with ownership on the land (continued even after locating back to Dolicek) and everything seems to have been finally resolved,..
so nice to be back home!

Good to know. There was a cracking SKA music dj behind the main stand the day we were there.

Mibbes Aye
09-05-2020, 07:39 PM

Went to the ice hockey in Kladno once, it was the most full-on environment I have ever experienced in a sports arena.

The game was against Brno and was the first time on Czech ice that Jaromir Jagr and Tomas Plekanec had faced off. A couple of Czech hockey legends who had big, big careers in the NHL. Absolutely fervid.