Zazu62
03-05-2020, 09:02 PM
Looking like the whole of next season will be played behind closed doors

https://www.skysports.com/share/11982637

CallumLaidlaw
03-05-2020, 09:06 PM

They are rightly discussing worst case scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waxy
03-05-2020, 09:07 PM
Possibility it says.
We could always play our games in Belarus, they seem oblivious to everything.

Sir David Gray
03-05-2020, 09:09 PM

I don't think that should come as a shock to anyone.

jacomo
03-05-2020, 09:11 PM
Vaccine could be a year away but widespread anti body testing should come much sooner.

It could be that cases of Covid 19 have been hugely under estimated, and loads of us have already had it without knowing.

Also, treatment and risk factors will become better understood.

I think we might get back to some kind of normal sooner than we think.

ScottB
03-05-2020, 11:31 PM
Vaccine could be a year away but widespread anti body testing should come much sooner.

It could be that cases of Covid 19 have been hugely under estimated, and loads of us have already had it without knowing.

Also, treatment and risk factors will become better understood.

I think we might get back to some kind of normal sooner than we think.

Even if people have had it, there’s not substantive evidence yet that it offers much immunity, or if it does, for how long. Even if it does, allowing only immune people back into ‘normal’ life sounds like an administrative nightmare that would be wide open to abuse.

malcolm
04-05-2020, 09:49 AM
Even if people have had it, there’s not substantive evidence yet that it offers much immunity, or if it does, for how long. Even if it does, allowing only immune people back into ‘normal’ life sounds like an administrative nightmare that would be wide open to abuse.

Other than some shielding of the very vulnerable I do not think that only allowing out immune people is being suggested anywhere. The point of understanding any greater existing spread of the virus is greater comfort that the rate of spread will fall to a level that it will eventually cease. If there is no evidence that immunity comes from having recovered and having had your body create the tools to fight it off, then there is simply no hope at all as this is how a normal vaccine works.. i.e by making the body create the tools in advance of infection.

I think the consensus now is that, recovery does give you some immunity, i.e the antibody ‘template’ to create more tools if you come across it again - just like a vaccine does. Given that this is a new virus care has been taken not to say something until have enough evidence to support. But I expect that things will be much better than the worst fears. The worst case always has to be considered and mitigated against until evidence shows to the contrary. My grounds for optimism are:

* There is likely to be an existing high rate of infection within the population that will be revealed by a reliable antibody testing ( I had it I believe but don’t know). This will contribute to a low re-infection rate.

* Treatments for more ill patients will emerge to relieve pressure on the NHS - there are some emerging that individually are not a magic bullet but in combination may have a better chance of reducing mortality.

* More than one vaccine among the numerous being developed, some using novel approaches, will pass accelerated testing before the end of the year - the key will be producing enough. The rate of and form of mutation of the virus indicates that these vaccines should still be effective initially but going forward a bit of guesswork, like the for the seasonal flu, will be needed for new annual combination corona/flu shots.

* I also expect that as the virus has a lipid (fat) layer susceptible to heat and is also susceptible to UV rays, it will not linger on outdoor surfaces as much as in winter so also reducing its spread if we get better weather.

I’ve always been a glass half full person and so hope/expect to see Hibs play in the flesh this year, not so sure about my holiday in September though:wink:

ScottB
04-05-2020, 12:33 PM
Other than some shielding of the very vulnerable I do not think that only allowing out immune people is being suggested anywhere. The point of understanding any greater existing spread of the virus is greater comfort that the rate of spread will fall to a level that it will eventually cease. If there is no evidence that immunity comes from having recovered and having had your body create the tools to fight it off, then there is simply no hope at all as this is how a normal vaccine works.. i.e by making the body create the tools in advance of infection.

I think the consensus now is that, recovery does give you some immunity, i.e the antibody ‘template’ to create more tools if you come across it again - just like a vaccine does. Given that this is a new virus care has been taken not to say something until have enough evidence to support. But I expect that things will be much better than the worst fears. The worst case always has to be considered and mitigated against until evidence shows to the contrary. My grounds for optimism are:

* There is likely to be an existing high rate of infection within the population that will be revealed by a reliable antibody testing ( I had it I believe but don’t know). This will contribute to a low re-infection rate.

* Treatments for more ill patients will emerge to relieve pressure on the NHS - there are some emerging that individually are not a magic bullet but in combination may have a better chance of reducing mortality.

* More than one vaccine among the numerous being developed, some using novel approaches, will pass accelerated testing before the end of the year - the key will be producing enough. The rate of and form of mutation of the virus indicates that these vaccines should still be effective initially but going forward a bit of guesswork, like the for the seasonal flu, will be needed for new annual combination corona/flu shots.

* I also expect that as the virus has a lipid (fat) layer susceptible to heat and is also susceptible to UV rays, it will not linger on outdoor surfaces as much as in winter so also reducing its spread if we get better weather.

I’ve always been a glass half full person and so hope/expect to see Hibs play in the flesh this year, not so sure about my holiday in September though:wink:

Regular coronaviruses, think the common cold, don’t result in life long immunity to infection after you’ve had it, more like a year or so tops.

We’re nowhere near far enough into this to know how Covid-19 will respond. Some reports suggested those who get it badly have a higher level of antibodies than those who get it mildly. How long those will last in their systems is a huge unknown.

A vaccine is somewhat different, but may still require booster shoots after a number of years to maintain immunity, as is the case with a lot of vaccines. If we get one, well, the quickest one that has ever been created and deployed is five years. With global effort, we’re being told 18 months to 2 years, but the logistical effort involved to manufacture, distribute and administer billions of doses, once a vaccine exists, doesn’t make me hopeful we regular people will be getting it any time soon.

malcolm
04-05-2020, 03:58 PM
Regular coronaviruses, think the common cold, don’t result in life long immunity to infection after you’ve had it, more like a year or so tops.

We’re nowhere near far enough into this to know how Covid-19 will respond. Some reports suggested those who get it badly have a higher level of antibodies than those who get it mildly. How long those will last in their systems is a huge unknown.

A vaccine is somewhat different, but may still require booster shoots after a number of years to maintain immunity, as is the case with a lot of vaccines. If we get one, well, the quickest one that has ever been created and deployed is five years. With global effort, we’re being told 18 months to 2 years, but the logistical effort involved to manufacture, distribute and administer billions of doses, once a vaccine exists, doesn’t make me hopeful we regular people will be getting it any time soon.

The aim of life long immunity to this is not realistic and does not in reality exist. The aim is control of its spread which even relatively low levels of persistent immunity in the population will help achieve. Each year the vulnerable get free flu shots and this is not really so much a top up but a cocktail aimed at the range of flu virus expected to be present in the coming year. The mutation of a virus can make any currently present antibody response ineffective and so the fight goes on.

The fact that before now vaccines have taken up to 5 years to develop is not really relevant as now the protocols around that have been sidestepped and accelerated due to the dire emergency we face globally. With the face saving secrecy applied by China, we were just learning about the virus and it’s risks at the start of this year and yet in April we had at least two vaccines already starting human trials. Utterly without precedent and the type of mutation of the virus so far helps any vaccine that is effective not to be one step behind. Any vaccine being developed is always a bit of a long shot but never has so much effort has gone into a search and with development of new approaches perhaps increasing the chance of success. Similar effort is going into finding what works to treat the worse affected. I agree that the production at scale is an issue but the global effort is welcome in particular to allow for such mass production of any vaccine. Partnerships between researchers and pharmaceutical companies are already being set up before it is known if the development of the researchers vaccine will be a success. It’s just a pity that it coincides with an an apparent idiotic sociopath in the Oval Office.

I choose to be optimistic as the foremost aim is to manage the virus, it’s spread and the effects of catching it, not to eliminate it. All my points of optimism together with test and trace and continuing level of physical distancing (helped by a new appreciation of hygiene and an initial wariness of among the population of abandoning the current rules, regardless of them changing, will all help to reduce the incidence of the virus and in the coming months and I hope help smother quickly any new wave into the winter months.

Come on the scientists :flag:

Pretty Boy
04-05-2020, 04:21 PM
French horse racing may well resume, behind closed doors, at Longchamp on May 11th. Police have given their approval. Bizarrely the article I read suggested racing is distinct from other sports in that it falls under the remit of the agricultural ministry.

HappyAsHellas
04-05-2020, 04:56 PM
Somebody with a bit more knowledge on the subject of vaccines wrote this:

The various Influenza viruses are all part of the Orthomyxoviridae family while all Coronaviruses are part of the Coronaviridae family. They are not even in the same Group, which is taxonomical classification above family. Influenza is in Group V which includes things like Ebola, various Marburg viruses, Measles, Mumps and Rabies. Coronaviruses are in Group IV which includes things like Hepatitis A and C, Yellow Fever and Rubella. While there are vaccines for some diseases in Group IV I don't think a vaccine has ever been found for any member of the Coronaviridae family. That doesn't mean that one won't be found for COVID-19 but it would be unwise to rely on one being developed quickly.

Pretty Boy
04-05-2020, 05:35 PM

The various Influenza viruses are all part of the Orthomyxoviridae family while all Coronaviruses are part of the Coronaviridae family. They are not even in the same Group, which is taxonomical classification above family. Influenza is in Group V which includes things like Ebola, various Marburg viruses, Measles, Mumps and Rabies. Coronaviruses are in Group IV which includes things like Hepatitis A and C, Yellow Fever and Rubella. While there are vaccines for some diseases in Group IV I don't think a vaccine has ever been found for any member of the Coronaviridae family. That doesn't mean that one won't be found for COVID-19 but it would be unwise to rely on one being developed quickly.

Has there ever been such a concerted effort to find a vaccine for a coronavirus before? With the exception of MERS and SARS the other coronavirus known to infect humans before December caused relatively mild illness in most cases. In the case of MERS and SARS the attempts to find a vaccine can be measured in dozens combined. With regards to the latter a vaccine had begun human trials but was shelved as the outbreak was contained and eradicated.

malcolm
04-05-2020, 05:50 PM

Yes as I had said vaccine development is always a long shot and it is just one part of the offensive against this virus. I don’t think there has ever been the quantity and quality of research for a vaccine as is underway now. There is no guarantee of success but I’m happy to believe that there is more chance than under normal circumstances and while realistic I can still be optimistic.

malcolm
04-05-2020, 06:17 PM
Sky news on one of the new approaches which give hope for something before the end of this year.

Scientists have discovered an antibody which prevents the coronavirus from infecting human cells in "groundbreaking research" which could lead to the development of new treatments.
Building on research into the SARS coronavirus, scientists from Utrecht University in the Netherlands, as well as the Erasmus Medical Centre and the company Harbour BioMed (HBM), have identified a potential method of neutralising COVID-19.

They discovered that an antibody which prevents the SARS virus from infecting human cells could also block the novel coronavirus from infecting human cells too, according a peer reviewed study published on Monday in the journal Nature Communications.

Testing their collection of antibodies on cultured human cells, researchers discovered one which binds to a specific part which is present in both SARS and the virus causing COVID-19.

The discovery could offer an initial step towards developing a fully-human antibody to treat or prevent the disease, which has infected more then 3.5 million people worldwide, and led to more than 247,000 deaths.

HappyAsHellas
04-05-2020, 06:17 PM
I hope the vaccine arrives sooner rather than later but it's sometimes annoying when people seem to think it'll be out in time for their holidays in July. A bit of realism is required, if we find a vaccine within 12 months it will be a massive step forward in medical science. Here's hoping.

ScottB
04-05-2020, 08:05 PM
The reason vaccines take a long time isn’t the finding the vaccine itself alone. To prove it works normally means several increasingly large trials over several years. There are limits to how much that process can be curtailed, without risking you produce a vaccine that doesn’t work as intended, or having to do things that would normally be considered unethical, like deliberately exposing volunteers to the virus.

We can throw all the money in the world at this, and we pretty much are, compared to any other vaccine effort in history, but money can’t buy time. Politicians saying it’ll be with us by the end of the year is no different than Boris saying the lockdown was going to be 3 weeks long when it began. They seem to have decided can kicking is preferable to realism.

malcolm
04-05-2020, 08:43 PM
The reason vaccines take a long time isn’t the finding the vaccine itself alone. To prove it works normally means several increasingly large trials over several years. There are limits to how much that process can be curtailed, without risking you produce a vaccine that doesn’t work as intended, or having to do things that would normally be considered unethical, like deliberately exposing volunteers to the virus.

We can throw all the money in the world at this, and we pretty much are, compared to any other vaccine effort in history, but money can’t buy time. Politicians saying it’ll be with us by the end of the year is no different than Boris saying the lockdown was going to be 3 weeks long when it began. They seem to have decided can kicking is preferable to realism.

To be clear I am most certainly not listening to any politicians as to the potential for a vaccine to be found to be effective to a certain degree by the end of this year! The risks of going ahead with a vaccine that either does not work or has unwelcome side effects are substantial and would go beyond the fight against the current virus. While protocol and trials will be accelerated as far as they can and ‘just in case’ work done to be able to roll out any apparent success, large scale trials will certainly be an issue. So we do agree but my perspective is one of ‘optimism’ with a vaccine as part of the scenario and your perspective is one of ‘realism.’ :wink:

scooby
04-05-2020, 09:48 PM
Has there ever been such a concerted effort to find a vaccine for a coronavirus before? With the exception of MERS and SARS the other coronavirus known to infect humans before December caused relatively mild illness in most cases. In the case of MERS and SARS the attempts to find a vaccine can be measured in dozens combined. With regards to the latter a vaccine had begun human trials but was shelved as the outbreak was contained and eradicated.

Has there ever been any need to lockup half the world for a virus with a mortality rate of less than 1%?
This is just like any other caronavirus, there was no excess mortality at all in the UK prior to the lockup. What has happened since in care homes and with the cancellation of hospital appointments for other life threatening conditions can only be described as a cull.

Anyone dying of anything at the moment is counted
as a covid death, because the test they are using only identifies an RNA string which almost everyone will have.

There is no going back from this, whilst we've been locked up there have been rafts of new legislation rushed through without a whimper of objection, which ushers in the "new normal". Social distancing is here to stay.
You can expect to be locked up regularly from now on, as waves of this "deadly" virus peak again.

People who would normally question the colour of your shoe laces, are actually urging the government for a stronger response to "protect" them.

We've just fallen hook, line and sinker for the biggest lie ever told, a lie based on fear of something you can't see.

The world is on the brink of huge change, and not for the better. The virus is fear.

04-05-2020, 10:23 PM
Has there ever been any need to lockup half the world for a virus with a mortality rate of less than 1%?
This is just like any other caronavirus, there was no excess mortality at all in the UK prior to the lockup. What has happened since in care homes and with the cancellation of hospital appointments for other life threatening conditions can only be described as a cull.

as a covid death, because the test they are using only identifies an RNA string which almost everyone will have.

There is no going back from this, whilst we've been locked up there have been rafts of new legislation rushed through without a whimper of objection, which ushers in the "new normal". Social distancing is here to stay.
You can expect to be locked up regularly from now on, as waves of this "deadly" virus peak again.

People who would normally question the colour of your shoe laces, are actually urging the government for a stronger response to "protect" them.

We've just fallen hook, line and sinker for the biggest lie ever told, a lie based on fear of something you can't see.

The world is on the brink of huge change, and not for the better. The virus is fear.

Who is behind it all and what is their endgame?

malcolm
04-05-2020, 10:41 PM

Might be of interest though they are out of stock here (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electro-Deflecto-Unisex-Foil-Size/dp/B01I497JAM)

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2020, 10:51 PM

That made me laugh.

One Day Soon
04-05-2020, 11:02 PM

I can't help feeling your user name is some how very inadequately incomplete.

The 90+2
04-05-2020, 11:12 PM
That made me laugh.

As someone who’s going to a funeral for a loved one one Thursday it didn’t me.

Scouse Hibee
04-05-2020, 11:15 PM
As someone who’s going to a funeral for a loved one one Thursday it didn’t me.

Of course not, it made me laugh as I considered it a somewhat irrational rant.

Sorry for your loss.

The 90+2
04-05-2020, 11:17 PM
Of course not, it made me laugh as I considered it a somewhat irrational rant.

Sorry for your loss.

I know mate. I was adding to your sarcasm with realism 👍💚
Thanks, appreciated.

scooby
04-05-2020, 11:55 PM
Who is behind it all and what is their endgame?

The ultimate end game is drastic depopulation. Key to this is mandatory vaccinations which will make everyone more susceptible to whats coming next including 5g.
Event 201 was the dress rehearsal for this, the people involved in that will give you a good starting point.

This whole scenario was prophetically foretold in a document published 10 years ago by the Rockefeller foundation, right down to how governments would respond,lockdown and social distancing.

But hey ho, this is all perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. Some people on here will just drift on in acquiescence.

Michael
05-05-2020, 12:15 AM
The ultimate end game is drastic depopulation. Key to this is mandatory vaccinations which will make everyone more susceptible to whats coming next including 5g.
Event 201 was the dress rehearsal for this, the people involved in that will give you a good starting point.

This whole scenario was prophetically foretold in a document published 10 years ago by the Rockefeller foundation, right down to how governments would respond,lockdown and social distancing.

But hey ho, this is all perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. Some people on here will just drift on in acquiescence.

The ultimate goal is depopulation? The lockdown is literally doing the opposite of that - it's to slow the spread and save lives.

A vaccine to make people susceptible to 5G? I can't even fathom what you're trying to say.

HH81
05-05-2020, 03:45 AM
Long statement from an english non league club. He mentions the club are in serious trouble now.

https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.uk/uncategorized/boreham-wood-fc-update-by-chairman-danny-hunter-3/

cocteautwin
05-05-2020, 05:17 AM

Tap tap curly wurly cuckooooo

Since90+2
05-05-2020, 05:19 AM

If this was all a cunning plan why would they publicly release a document?

MGmick
05-05-2020, 06:12 AM

Ahh! That's just what they want you to think. :rolleyes:

danhibees1875
05-05-2020, 06:22 AM

The perfect crime. :greengrin

Brizo
05-05-2020, 06:22 AM

My understanding is that this is also pretty much Joe Exotics analysis of COVID-19.

SquashedFrogg
05-05-2020, 07:32 AM

It's like I've went back in time 5 years and logged into Facebook.

Gloucester Hibs
05-05-2020, 07:51 AM

C’mon, rule number one of global conspiracy theories is that they MUST involve the Rothschilds. You fell at the first hurdle - tinfoil hat confiscated for a week.

lucky
05-05-2020, 07:52 AM

I never knew David Icke was a Hibs supporter

scooby
05-05-2020, 08:15 AM
Eyes wide shut.

Scouse Hibee
05-05-2020, 08:17 AM
Eyes wide shut.

Haven’t got a ....................

Since90+2
05-05-2020, 08:23 AM
Although I don't believe the conspiracy theory on this thread it is interesting to see France have said they had a confirmed case of the virus on 27th December.

This means that the virus was infecting people unchecked and freely without any form of lockdown during January and February. Did they have a massive spike in deaths during that time? If not why not as you would assume pre lockdown the numbers dying would be huge.

jacomo
05-05-2020, 08:27 AM

I think you need to stop using the internet.

SquashedFrogg
05-05-2020, 08:29 AM

I'm assuming the big bad 5G will solve that.

Badabing
05-05-2020, 08:32 AM

Let him carry on I say. Whenever I feel the current restrictions are driving me crazy I can just read his posts and feel sane again.

jacomo
05-05-2020, 08:38 AM
Although I don't believe the conspiracy theory on this thread it is interesting to see France have said they had a confirmed case of the virus on 27th December.

This means that the virus was infecting people unchecked and freely without any form of lockdown during January and February. Did they have a massive spike in deaths during that time? If not why not as you would assume pre lockdown the numbers dying would be huge.

Covid 19 almost certainly reached Europe pre New Year, but would have been a few isolated cases and most people don’t seem to be badly affected by it.

It is only once the virus started to be transmitted throughout the population that the problems started.

EI255
05-05-2020, 09:05 AM
Possibility it says.
We could always play our games in Belarus, they seem oblivious to everything.Started watching Belarus games. Not the best, but at least it's summin!

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

HappyAsHellas
05-05-2020, 10:29 AM
Scooby's next post will refer to the Kabbalah and undeniable numeric proof that you are all wrong.

I read and laughed at this on facebook a couple of weeks ago and COVID adds up to 666.

Run for the hills!!!!

G B Young
05-05-2020, 07:27 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52539905?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5eb194cd8fc6dd066fb1cab0%26Baseball%20 starts%20in%20South%20Korea%20-%20without%20fans%262020-05-05T17%3A29%3A23.533Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:cd850ccd-c83f-484c-aa50-05d013f39013&pinned_post_asset_id=5eb194cd8fc6dd066fb1cab0&pinned_post_type=share

South Korea baseball season gets under way without fans. Looks utterly grim. I find it hard to believe that any flavour of what football used to be about could be preserved by playing games behind closed doors for an indefinite amount of time.

I guess clubs could ultimately save a lot on stadium maintenance/staff costs by simply bulldozing them and surrounding the pitch with four giant wooden boards covered with sponsors logos and painted-on fans. They could add some pre-recorded crowd noise to make it sound better for TV purposes.

mcfly
05-05-2020, 07:57 PM

OMG never read so much utter rubbish ever on these pages.

Are you some know all scientist who is disbelieving all of the infected people?

Speechless

Jamesie
05-05-2020, 08:13 PM

Can you explain to me how a vaccination can in some way correlate to in some way being “susceptible” to what is microwave radiation? I’m confused.

Brooster
05-05-2020, 08:13 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but what is the point of having closed doors games? Is it purely driven by financial greed or am I missing something?

malcolm
05-05-2020, 08:44 PM
OMG never read so much utter rubbish ever on these pages.

Are you some know all scientist who is disbelieving all of the infected people?

Speechless

Any promoter of conspiracy theories is pretty bereft of any semblance of scientific approach or understanding (as well as much else) but what is promoted may be peppered with pseudo science to give it some kind of credibility to the very ill informed and gullible. Social media allows idiotic and fake stories and ideas to be shared easily and sadly can encourage folk to plug into only that which reflects their prejudices and confirms their biases.

That aspect is not all bad as it allows for folk of exceedingly good taste to discuss all things Hibs without too much interruption from those with inclinations towards teams of very bad taste. :greengrin

Michael
05-05-2020, 09:02 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but what is the point of having closed doors games? Is it purely driven by financial greed or am I missing something?

Well if it's televised then it's better than no game at all.

Brooster
05-05-2020, 09:07 PM
Well if it's televised then it's better than no game at all.

I've yet to be convinced of that.

danhibees1875
06-05-2020, 06:27 AM
I've yet to be convinced of that.

In terms of completing the season I think it is.

In terms of fan entertainment you might be right.

The Count
06-05-2020, 06:38 AM
If the Scottish Premier only goes behind closed doors next season with Sky with Hearts in the Championship.Well that would be very interesting money wise for the Jambos.