PDA

View Full Version : The 6-6 game

Coach Jon
03-05-2020, 12:32 PM
Classic game on the telly tonight

PISTOL1875
03-05-2020, 12:38 PM
The car was stopped on the way home to boot the **** out the radio when Yogi proceeding to say ' it wuz a great game fur the neutral.. ''

A complete slaver of a man , beggers belief how people tipped him for a return and in some cases the Scotland job.....

MWHIBBIES
03-05-2020, 01:11 PM
The car was stopped on the way home to boot the **** out the radio when Yogi proceeding to say ' it wuz a great game fur the neutral.. ''

A complete slaver of a man , beggers belief how people tipped him for a return and in some cases the Scotland job.....

Did you actually stop the car to kick the radio? I don't think that happened.

He wasn't wrong really, great game for the neutal. Irrelevant game for us really, still finished 4th and only a pound entry for me at the time.

Since452
03-05-2020, 01:12 PM
Would rather erase that game from my memory. No joy in throwing away a 6-2 lead. Yogi laughing and joking at the end pissed me right off

Smartie
03-05-2020, 01:16 PM

I liked Yogi. Still do.

He had his faults and made mistakes, but he was a young manager of a club that was going through a cycle of selling players for biggish money and not adequately replacing them. That sort of thing ruins managerial reputations.

Yogi was finished the second his last summer transfer window closed. That was up there with the most damaging transfer windows we've had, and we've had a few stinkers.

tamig
03-05-2020, 01:25 PM

That for me was an inexcusable comment from Hughes. We crawled over the line to Europe but should have sealed it in that ridiculous game at Fir Park.

seanshow
03-05-2020, 01:35 PM
I remember the 6-1 game under Collins much more vividly, because we won that one. :greengrin

Boozy with an outrageous step over and a pinpoint cross onto the head of Fletcher( for what would have been 7-1) but was ruled out very harshly for a slight nudge in the back of the well defender.

MWHIBBIES
03-05-2020, 01:44 PM
I liked Yogi. Still do.

He had his faults and made mistakes, but he was a young manager of a club that was going through a cycle of selling players for biggish money and not adequately replacing them. That sort of thing ruins managerial reputations.

Yogi was finished the second his last summer transfer window closed. That was up there with the most damaging transfer windows we've had, and we've had a few stinkers.

I still believe that was the one that ultimately lead to relegation. It was awful, no quality players signed, no forward planning, nothing. We spent the next 4 years scrapping to save it with quick fixes after that.

PISTOL1875
03-05-2020, 01:55 PM
Did you actually stop the car to kick the radio? I don't think that happened.

He wasn't wrong really, great game for the neutal. Irrelevant game for us really, still finished 4th and only a pound entry for me at the time.

Do you really think I give a flying one about what the neutral thinks ?? 6-2 up and lucky to get a draw in the end and he comes out with this crap ???

Your mate hanlon soft as **** for the last goal as well I might add..

PISTOL1875
03-05-2020, 01:57 PM
I liked Yogi. Still do.

CAn you off the top of your head we signed / lost in that window ???

PISTOL1875
03-05-2020, 02:00 PM
That for me was an inexcusable comment from Hughes. We crawled over the line to Europe but should have sealed it in that ridiculous game at Fir Park.

That interview was when I chucked it with Yogi.. Wanted him to do really well and thought we had a good chance to push on under him but underneath it all he was a slaver and the attitude of wanting to be everyone's pal , just didn't suit..

I remember another cracker after a 1-1 draw with a lowly placed Hamilton at Easter Road when he came out after the match going on about how '' Hibs fans maybe expect too much ''...

MWHIBBIES
03-05-2020, 02:00 PM
Do you really think I give a flying one about what the neutral thinks ?? 6-2 up and lucky to get a draw in the end and he comes out with this crap ???

Your mate hanlon soft as **** for the last goal as well I might add..

No, I don't. He still isn't wrong. His job isn't to say what you want. Obviously it was daft but the radio was innocent. It didn't deserve to feel the brunt of your anger.

''My mate''? You mean Hibs legend Paul Hanlon?

Yeah, it was Hanlon being soft that cost us the last goal, not the absolutely insane strike. Hanlon really should have accounted for the boy scoring a Van Basten esque volly in the last minute to make it 6-6. Rookie mistake. Should've binned him then actually, not like he ever got any better

PISTOL1875
03-05-2020, 02:06 PM
No, I don't. He still isn't wrong. His job isn't to say what you want. Obviously it was daft but the radio was innocent. It didn't deserve to feel the brunt of your anger.

''My mate''? You mean Hibs legend Paul Hanlon?

Yeah, it was Hanlon being soft that cost us the last goal, not the absolutely insane strike. Hanlon really should have accounted for the boy scoring a Van Basten esque volly in the last minute to make it 6-6. Rookie mistake. Should've binned him then actually, not like he ever got any better

I do not care how the neutral feels and I would expect Hughes to give his assessment from a HIbs viewpoint and not how the neutral feels... I was hoping he'd somehow get the message across how being lucky to get a point from being 6 -2 up is not acceptable and words to that extent... But instead it wads a laugh a joke so it's all ok....

Better defending and the guy wouldn't gotten the strike away would he ?? The same Paul Hanlon who was soft then as he is now.....

Tom Hart RIP
03-05-2020, 02:09 PM

We lost Anthony Stokes and signed Daryl Duffy on loan in the last day of the transfer window then Duffy broke an ankle before making his debut.
We should have won the cup the previous year. 2-1 up at home against Ross County then Deek scores to make it 3-1 which would have finished the game but it was wrongly ruled out for offside when it was later shown to be well onside. They equalised and won the replay before beating a poor Celtic side in the semis and losing to Dundee United in the final.

PISTOL1875
03-05-2020, 02:17 PM
We lost Anthony Stokes and signed Daryl Duffy on loan in the last day of the transfer window then Duffy broke an ankle before making his debut.
We should have won the cup the previous year. 2-1 up at home against Ross County then Deek scores to make it 3-1 which would have finished the game but it was wrongly ruled out for offside when it was later shown to be well onside. They equalised and won the replay before beating a poor Celtic side in the semis and losing to Dundee United in the final.

Duffy broke his ankle in a practice match the week leading up to his debut.. The culprit was John Hughes I might add..

MWHIBBIES
03-05-2020, 02:23 PM
I do not care how the neutral feels and I would expect Hughes to give his assessment from a HIbs viewpoint and not how the neutral feels... I was hoping he'd somehow get the message across how being lucky to get a point from being 6 -2 up is not acceptable and words to that extent... But instead it wads a laugh a joke so it's all ok....

Better defending and the guy wouldn't gotten the strike away would he ?? The same Paul Hanlon who was soft then as he is now.....

I've already said, Yogis job isn't to care what you think. He probably done that behind the scenes, hence the 2-0 win away 3 days later.

Must really piss you off that Hanlon is an immortal, Hibs legend while you are just an angry man on Hibs.net. Top player, has been for years. Lucky to have had/have him.

PISTOL1875
03-05-2020, 02:27 PM
I've already said, Yogis job isn't to care what you think. He probably done that behind the scenes, hence the 2-0 win away 3 days later.

Must really piss you off that Hanlon is an immortal, Hibs legend while you are just an angry man on Hibs.net. Top player, has been for years. Lucky to have had/have him.

If Hanlon is that good , then why is he still at Hibs ?

Why has only been considered for Scotland once and that was a friendly ??

Why did he spend three seasons playing in the Championship if he is so immortal ???

If he was that good then he would've left Hibs and went onto bigger and better things.........

Newhaven
03-05-2020, 02:28 PM

Paul hanlon a top player :confused:

Amazing how some folk have been impacted since this lockdown.

The 90+2
03-05-2020, 02:32 PM

Duffy and Alan Gow to replace Stokes and Bamba got sold aswell. We signed that Dutch huddy on decent money too.

cabbageandribs1875
03-05-2020, 02:34 PM
another 2 mins of play and we would have lost 7-6 :grr::grr:

The 90+2
03-05-2020, 02:36 PM

Dundee Utd would have pumped us in the final had it not been Celtic that did so in the Semi. A much more realistic chance of winning the cup was the Dunfermline Semi. They where bottom of the league and ****, we couldn’t score over two games.

The 90+2
03-05-2020, 02:37 PM

I can’t believe we saved a pen before the wonder goal by the lad that’s done well down South too. Absolute crazy night, sure it was a Thursday too randomly. Smith literally lost his head and was chucking goals in.

Hibeesmad
03-05-2020, 02:45 PM
Remember being at the game then getting home around midnight to then watch the Man City v Spurs game after avoiding the result all night. Peter Crouch sending Spurs into the Champions League, great scenes.

Hibeesmad
03-05-2020, 02:48 PM

Replay was horrid. Cold and wet night up in Dingwall, horrible scenes in the away end at the final whistle. I'm sure Swine Flu was kicking about the time too.

cabbageandribs1875
03-05-2020, 02:49 PM
I can’t believe we saved a pen before the wonder goal by the lad that’s done well down South too. Absolute crazy night, sure it was a Thursday too randomly. Smith literally lost his head and was chucking goals in.

i've always joked our keeper accidently saved that penalty :wink: the heartz git

The 90+2
03-05-2020, 02:52 PM
i've always joked our keeper accidently saved that penalty :wink: the heartz git

😁

Vault Boy
03-05-2020, 02:53 PM

Why did he spend three seasons playing in the Championship if he is so immortal ???

If he was that good then he would've left Hibs and went onto bigger and better things.........

Your obsession with dragging Hibs legends at any opportunity is really strange.

jacomo
03-05-2020, 02:54 PM
Well this thread has brought the know all argumentative types out again.

Quite why it’s necessary to pick a row over this game is beyond me.

Why self isolate away from Hibs.net and do us all a favour?

EdinMike
03-05-2020, 02:54 PM
Would actually be interested to see the game again, it was the last time I went to Fir Park and it’s definitely been erased from the noggin.

(Apart from the laughing in disbelief on the way out...)

Vault Boy
03-05-2020, 02:57 PM
I think I'm finally at the stage where I just find this game funny, a very Hibs thing to do. The equalising strike really was a belter.

The 90+2
03-05-2020, 02:58 PM
I think I'm finally at the stage where I just find this game funny, a very Hibs thing to do. The equalising strike really was a belter.

Yogi was absolutely raging at the game too, as in bar **** lost the plot. I don’t think he even knew what he was saying with his good game for the neutrals comments.

Billy Whizz
03-05-2020, 03:04 PM

I agree, and was happy to leave the ground with a point😎

erin go bragh
03-05-2020, 03:07 PM
Smith was horrendous that night . His pen save must have been the first and last save he made in the game .
I had £20 on us to win ht and ft at 9-2 ( no cash out back then )
Stuck in the craw watching Yogi laughing and joking at the end .
They fockers over on keek back have a post on us Hibsin it and it being on sport scene tonight ��
The irony off them Heartsin it on this day in 1986 is obviously lost on them .����
We lost 2 points in this game and still qualified for Europe. They on the other hand ,,,,������

MWHIBBIES
03-05-2020, 03:08 PM

Great question. If Pat Stanton was so good why did he play for Hibs? Same with Joe Baker, John McGinn, Eddie Turnbull, Frank Sauzee etc.

Maybe you are old enough to remember Scotland call ups being a sign of a good player or not. In my lifetime it is just a sign if you play for the old firm or not.

Many quality players spend 3 years in the championship with Hibs.

He is undoubtedly immortal. He played a vital part, as important as anyone, in Hibs winning the Scottish cup after over 100 years. Immortal.

Horrendous logic that you're only good if you leave Hibs. Really scraping the ****ter for criticism if thats it.

Smartie
03-05-2020, 03:40 PM
Yogi’s comments after the game were obviously careless, as he clearly seems to have got a lot of people’s backs up.

But can anyone honestly tell me that if they were part of a defence who had chucked a 6-2 lead to draw 6-6 that they’d have relished going in to face Yogi after the game?

MWHIBBIES
03-05-2020, 03:44 PM
Yogi’s comments after the game were obviously careless, as he clearly seems to have got a lot of people’s backs up.

But can anyone honestly tell me that if they were part of a defence who had chucked a 6-2 lead to draw 6-6 that they’d have relished going in to face Yogi after the game?

His ****ty subs cost us it more than bad defending.

EI255
03-05-2020, 03:45 PM
Yet another dodgy Hibs game being rerun by BBC. What's going on there?

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Smartie
03-05-2020, 03:46 PM
I still believe that was the one that ultimately lead to relegation. It was awful, no quality players signed, no forward planning, nothing. We spent the next 4 years scrapping to save it with quick fixes after that.

I think we’ve disagreed about finer points regarding where the blame lay later on as we slid to our relegation, but I agree with you here 100%.

Prior to that summer we still had a very decent squad of players, even if form had dropped off.

From then on we were in decline, and we shouldn’t have been.

There were still some decent players left but the ins to replace who left were brutal.

Michael Hart FFS.

Billy Whizz
03-05-2020, 04:42 PM
I was thinking this may have been the highest scoring top league game for a while, but was there not a Motherwell v Aberdeen that had more goals

brog
03-05-2020, 04:50 PM
I was thinking this may have been the highest scoring top league game for a while, but was there not a Motherwell v Aberdeen that had more goals

Its the highest. Think Well Sheep was a mere 5-6!

Billy Whizz
03-05-2020, 04:56 PM
Its the highest. Think Well Sheep was a mere 5-6!

Ok thanks Brog, I thought it was something like 8-7

jacomo
03-05-2020, 05:19 PM
Yet another dodgy Hibs game being rerun by BBC. What's going on there?

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

It’s a wide ranging anti-Hibs conspiracy, obvs.

DavieRoy
03-05-2020, 05:38 PM
I think Sky are showing the full game on Tuesday.

PISTOL1875
03-05-2020, 05:59 PM
Great question. If Pat Stanton was so good why did he play for Hibs? Same with Joe Baker, John McGinn, Eddie Turnbull, Frank Sauzee etc.

Maybe you are old enough to remember Scotland call ups being a sign of a good player or not. In my lifetime it is just a sign if you play for the old firm or not.

Many quality players spend 3 years in the championship with Hibs.

He is undoubtedly immortal. He played a vital part, as important as anyone, in Hibs winning the Scottish cup after over 100 years. Immortal.

Horrendous logic that you're only good if you leave Hibs. Really scraping the ****ter for criticism if thats it.

But John McGinn moved onto better things than Hibs though and will go further again

Pat Stanton moved onto Celtic which was a step up..

Franck Sauzee retired from playing at HIbs so he couldn't go anywhere else...

Joe baker also moved from Hibs to bigger clubs at a higher level..

Your argument is ridiculous I am afraid..

So I will ask you again , if Paul Hanlon is as good and immortal as you make out to be , why has he not moved onto playing at a higher level ???

Pretty Boy
03-05-2020, 06:05 PM
I travelled down from Aberdeen. I was raging at the time. I didn't rate Hughes as a manager then and I don't rate him now.

I can't say I'm raging about it now though. It was a ridiculous game but it's reached the point of being funny. I don't want Hughes anywhere near Hibs or Scotland but I don't wish him ill, he seems like a decent guy.

I really can't get angry about a game that had absolutely no impact on the final outcome of anything.

MWHIBBIES
03-05-2020, 06:10 PM
But John McGinn moved onto better things than Hibs though and will go further again

Pat Stanton moved onto Celtic which was a step up..

Franck Sauzee retired from playing at HIbs so he couldn't go anywhere else...

Joe baker also moved from Hibs to bigger clubs at a higher level..

Your argument is ridiculous I am afraid..

So I will ask you again , if Paul Hanlon is as good and immortal as you make out to be , why has he not moved onto playing at a higher level ???

So his achievments with Hibs are irrelevant unless he moves on? Do you only rate Hibs players if they leave because your logic cant actually allow you to like anyone while they are still here. Was Mcginn hopeless until he left?

He is immortal and will be remembered forever because of his part in us winning the Scottish cup. Also a quality player for Hibs for many years. Thats the truth. Nearing 450 games for us, brilliant stuff.

Literally all you keep saying is if he is so good why did he never leave. Maybe because he loves Hibs? Something that should be celebrated, not to use as a stick to beat him with.

Incredible how disrespectful you are to him. Cup winning legend.

truehibernian
03-05-2020, 06:16 PM
I travelled down from Aberdeen. I was raging at the time. I didn't rate Hughes as a manager then and I don't rate him now.

I can't say I'm raging about it now though. It was a ridiculous game but it's reached the point of being funny. I don't want Hughes anywhere near Hibs or Scotland but I don't wish him ill, he seems like a decent guy.

I really can't get angry about a game that had absolutely no impact on the final outcome of anything.

Agree about Hughes (and his derby record was horrendous) - that game in particular had me questioning Graeme Smith too has to be said :cbsome bizarre goalkeeping second half. The worst keeper I have ever seen at the club.

PISTOL1875
03-05-2020, 06:17 PM
So his achievments with Hibs are irrelevant unless he moves on? Do you only rate Hibs players if they leave because your logic cant actually allow you to like anyone while they are still here. Was Mcginn hopeless until he left?

He is immortal and will be remembered forever because of his part in us winning the Scottish cup. Also a quality player for Hibs for many years. Thats the truth. Nearing 450 games for us, brilliant stuff.

Literally all you keep saying is if he is so good why did he never leave. Maybe because he loves Hibs? Something that should be celebrated, not to use as a stick to beat him with.

No that is wrong , his achievments are not irrelevant in the slightest and John McGinn was not hopeless in the slightest either , he got his move he was a good ability wise and he was improving all the time...... Hence why he'd been called into the international set up when were in the championship....

Maybe he never did leave because he loved Hibs but I don't recall any offers coming in for him do you ???

Eyrie
03-05-2020, 06:18 PM

If Hanlon is a soft as you say, why hasn't he been moved on to playing at a lower level?

Every manager has not only chosen to keep him but to play him regularly.

Gloucester Hibs
03-05-2020, 06:20 PM
Sure Hughes was laughing and joking with Pa Broon at FT like we hadn’t just surrendered at 4 goal lead 🤦🏼*♂️

More unforgivable though was his team selection in Maribor!

Billy Whizz
03-05-2020, 06:22 PM
Forgot how bad the Motherwell pitch was that night

MWHIBBIES
03-05-2020, 06:23 PM
No that is wrong , his achievments are not irrelevant in the slightest and John McGinn was not hopeless in the slightest either , he got his move he was a good ability wise and he was improving all the time...... Hence why he'd been called into the international set up when were in the championship....

Maybe he never did leave because he loved Hibs but I don't recall any offers coming in for him do you ???

So why are you disregarding his achievements and just saying if he was any good he'd have left? Why cant be player be really good for Hibs and just stay here? Perfectly reasonable not to want to move on.

Clubs generally ask an agent or contact of the player if they would be interested in a move before actually submitting offers or making official contact. I imagine that Hanlon has never shown any interest in leaving.

Amazing how a born and bred Hibs fan who has captained the club many times, played over 400 games, won a cup, finished 4th twice, played a vital part in promotion and rebuilding the club, scored many important goals etc etc can be judged purely on him not moving on :faf:

Its actually horrendous how some on here speak about our players at times. Guy is nothing but a Hibs legend.

matty_f
03-05-2020, 06:25 PM
What I'm happy about is that somehow a game from 2010 is cause for another thread to be turned into a row about Hanlon.

Superb.

matty_f
03-05-2020, 06:26 PM

Hanlon came very close to signing for Fulham and Aberdeen wanted to sign him on a few occasions. They're just the ones I know for 100% certain.

The fact he has remained at Hibs isn't down to nobody else wanting him.

The 90+2
03-05-2020, 06:28 PM
If Hanlon is a soft as you say, why hasn't he been moved on to playing at a lower level?

I don’t want to get into this debate but maybe it’s just Hibs is his glass ceiling?

He’s been a very good servant, even a incredible servant, very rarely ***** in the past few years but he’s not been an incredible standard of player or a stand out in the side because then he would have attracted bids from teams higher in the food chain. I also don’t think he’s rated by many others away from Hibs as anything but a half decent player.!

truehibernian
03-05-2020, 06:28 PM

I've been a critic of Paul in previous seasons but like Lewis what you get from him is a consistent performance and above all work rate and bravery. I can't remember the quote, but Bill Shankly always said he had a team of players who individually may not be the best in the world, but when you have each player working hard for each other and concentrating on what they are good at, you have a team.........I think he said socialism without the politics. That's what you get with Paul, never a world beater, but you get an honest hard working performance each and every game. If other players have the same attitude, you have a great team - and this last few seasons we have had good teams as they have all worked for each other. On the occasions when he has been injured, results have dipped - that says it all. Good, honest, decent player at this level. But I'll caveat that by saying we need three or four strong centre halves to challenge and take over from him here on in.

Billy Whizz
03-05-2020, 06:32 PM
What I'm happy about is that somehow a game from 2010 is cause for another thread to be turned into a row about Hanlon.

Superb.

Exactly, a 20 year old boy at this game

MWHIBBIES
03-05-2020, 06:35 PM
Hanlon came very close to signing for Fulham and Aberdeen wanted to sign him on a few occasions. They're just the ones I know for 100% certain.

Interesting, didn't know that. Certainly done my argument no harm :greengrin

Billy Whizz
03-05-2020, 06:41 PM

Think the Aberdeen one was when Butcher told every player they could leave, but he never wanted to leave Hibs
I’m not aware of the Fulham link, aware of another club though

matty_f
03-05-2020, 06:44 PM
Think the Aberdeen one was when Butcher told every player they could leave, but he never wanted to leave Hibs
I’m not aware of the Fulham link, aware of another club though

Would have been pre-2012 iirc.

Since452
03-05-2020, 06:48 PM
For me every bit as embarrassing as any of our worst defeats. To see Yogi laughing and joking with Craig Brown at the end still annoys me. He should have been going ballistic

Hulk1875
03-05-2020, 06:55 PM
All the Motherwell fans going home haha

green day
03-05-2020, 07:00 PM
For me every bit as embarrassing as any of our worst defeats. To see Yogi laughing and joking with Craig Brown at the end still annoys me. He should have been going ballistic

Nonsense

tamig
03-05-2020, 07:03 PM
Would actually be interested to see the game again, it was the last time I went to Fir Park and it’s definitely been erased from the noggin.

(Apart from the laughing in disbelief on the way out...)

Best keep it erased 😀

Since452
03-05-2020, 07:41 PM
Nonsense

Throwing away a four goal lead isn't embarrassing? 😂

MWHIBBIES
03-05-2020, 07:48 PM
Throwing away a four goal lead isn't embarrassing? 😂

Mate, we lost 4-1 at Hamilton that season. It wasn't even our most embarrassing result in Lanarkshire that season.

CMurdoch
03-05-2020, 07:49 PM
Haven't seen that match or highlights of it since the night of the game.
Nish was a world beater for the first 30 minutes and back to being a cart horse and knackered for the last 30.
Steven Thicot was dreadful all game and Smith seemed to lose all sense of judgement from goal 9 onwards.
A lot of bad goals conceded by both teams. As the commentators said it was more like basketball than football.
Goal 12 is a wonder strike and was the cherry on the cake of a mad mad entertaining game.

Since452
03-05-2020, 07:49 PM
Mate, we lost 4-1 at Hamilton that season. It wasn't even our most embarrassing result in Lanarkshire that season.

To be 6-2 up with 25 minutes to play and not win is horrendous

MWHIBBIES
03-05-2020, 07:51 PM

Yes, obviously.

The 90+2
03-05-2020, 07:52 PM

It is. It’s still not one of the worst results ever though.

greenlex
03-05-2020, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=PISTOL1875;6160778

Your mate hanlon soft as **** for the last goal as well I might add..[/QUOTE]
Rubbish. He did everything right. Showed him down the line. It was an outrageous strike.

Billy Whizz
03-05-2020, 08:18 PM
Rubbish. He did everything right. Showed him down the line. It was an outrageous strike.

The ex Motherwell player will never score another goal as good as that

CLASS OF 72 -73
03-05-2020, 08:20 PM
Paul hanlon a top player :confused:

Amazing how some folk have been impacted since this lockdown.

Depends what level. In Scotland Hanlon is.

GRA
03-05-2020, 08:31 PM
A year after this game my brother was at a youth GK training academy in Edinburgh. They had an awards ceremony I was at where they got a 'high profile' GK to dish out the awards and give some hints and tips. That GK was none other than Graeme Smith.

He was giving advice about how sometimes things don't always go your way and you find yourself being harshly dropped.... poor guy seems to have amnesia when recalling this game (or indeed his clangers against Hearts a few days earlier).... little wonder he ended up at Brechin!

CMurdoch
03-05-2020, 09:17 PM
The ex Motherwell player will never score another goal as good as that

Lukas Isaac Paul Jutkiewicz
has had a decent English Championship career and come next season could be the only player on the pitch that night to be playing at a higher level than Paul Hanlon.
John Ruddy is the back up keeper at Wolves but his contract ends in the summer.

Yorkshire HFC
04-05-2020, 01:13 PM
Yes, obviously.

Got to admit that their 6th goal was a cracker :-(

supermcginn
04-05-2020, 02:07 PM
Depends what level. In Scotland Hanlon is.
The top players play for the old firm or move to them or go down south, or get international caps. He's been a good servant but an average player.

Jones28
04-05-2020, 02:12 PM
I farted in my sleep last night, the wife punched me in the guts for it.

Somehow it turned into an argument about Paul Hanlon.

That’s Hibs.net

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2020, 03:05 PM
The top players play for the old firm or move to them or go down south, or get international caps. He's been a good servant but an average player.

Or win cups and play in Europe with Hibs. Plenty of quality players that do and have played in this league that don't fit your template.

1875Sean
04-05-2020, 08:23 PM
4-2 up, how was that not a pen on Nish, good to see willie collum is consistent over the years

Speedway
04-05-2020, 10:06 PM
This was the night I started to seriously wonder if Graeme Smith was involved in match fixing.

Pretty Boy
04-05-2020, 10:18 PM
This was the night I started to seriously wonder if Graeme Smith was involved in match fixing.

I honestly think he was concussed. He took a hefty blow to the head and his performance became increasingly bizarre after that. He gave away a penalty with one of the strangest pieces of goalkeeping I have ever seen then proceeded to save it.

I just had a quick look back and I forgot how awful our end to that season was. In the last 15 games we won 3, drew 2 and lost 10. The 10 defeats included a 3-0 loss to Rangers, 4-1 to Hamilton, 4-2 to Dundee Utd and 5-1 to St Johnstone. The season really fell apart after we got pumped 4-1 at home to Rangers in December. That was another goalkeeping masterclass, from MaKalambay that time. We only won 6 games out of 21 after they.

On the bright side Hughes started the following season with a record of played 7, won 1, drew 2 and lost 4 so at least it was just a blip......

Speedway
04-05-2020, 10:28 PM
This game also reminds me of how little John Rankin contributed.

B.H.F.C
04-05-2020, 10:28 PM
I honestly think he was concussed. He took a hefty blow to the head and his performance became increasingly bizarre after that. He gave away a penalty with one of the strangest pieces of goalkeeping I have ever seen then proceeded to save it.

I just had a quick look back and I forgot how awful our end to that season was. In the last 15 games we won 3, drew 2 and lost 10. The 10 defeats included a 3-0 loss to Rangers, 4-1 to Hamilton, 4-2 to Dundee Utd and 5-1 to St Johnstone. The season really fell apart after we got pumped 4-1 at home to Rangers in December. That was another goalkeeping masterclass, from MaKalambay that time. We only won 6 games out of 21 after they.

On the bright side Hughes started the following season with a record of played 7, won 1, drew 2 and lost 4 so at least it was just a blip......

No sure if I’m remembering this correctly but I think it was the January we won at Parkhead. I’m sure we went in to the game at Ibrox a couple of weeks later not all that far behind them. Maybe six points or something.

Smartie
04-05-2020, 10:35 PM
No sure if I’m remembering this correctly but I think it was the January we won at Parkhead. I’m sure we went in to the game at Ibrox a couple of weeks later not all that far behind them. Maybe six points or something.

Did we not go top when we won at Parkhead?

Pretty Boy
04-05-2020, 10:36 PM

Yep that might actually be a more accurate description. A quick look back and we actually won 3 of our next 5 after the December game. The last game of that run was a 2-1 win v St Mirren. What followed was DLLLDWLWLLLLLLDW.

Pretty Boy
04-05-2020, 10:40 PM

Nope. After the win at Celtic, Rangers were top on 51 points, Celtic 2nd on 41 and we were 3rd on 39.

We were a point clear of Dundee Utd in 4th and 12 clear of Mothwrwell in 7th. In the final table we were 9 points behind Utd and 1 ahead of Motherwell.

Prior to the December humping at home we were only 5 points behind Rangers and there was muted talk of a title Challenge.

The 90+2
04-05-2020, 10:41 PM

End of January the Galbraith game, Aberdeen bear hearts 3-0 too for the best football double win I’ve ever had I think (40/1).

Rangers game at Ibrox two points behind them on the Sunday we went three up top and got torn to shreds. Might have been the first game Zemmama came back from his loan away but probably no.

B.H.F.C
04-05-2020, 10:43 PM

I think we went top for a few minutes, when Stokes scored after 12 seconds, against Rangers at Easter Road in the December.

We looked like Brazil for the first 10 minutes but ended up pumped 4-1.

Pretty Boy
04-05-2020, 10:45 PM
End of January the Galbraith game, Aberdeen bear hearts 3-0 too for the best football double win I’ve ever had I think (40/1).

Rangers game at Ibrox two points behind them on the Sunday we went three up top and got torn to shreds. Might have been the first game Zemmama came back from his loan away but probably no.

We weren't 2 points behind Rangers before the 3-0 defeat at Ibrox in February of that season. Before the game they had 55 points and we had 43. We were 2 points behind them going into the 1st game at Ibrox that season which ended in a draw.

The 90+2
04-05-2020, 10:46 PM
We weren't 2 points behind Rangers before the 3-0 defeat in February of that season. Before the game they had 55 points and we had 43. We were 2 points behind them going into the 1st game at Ibrox that season which ended in a draw.

Ah okay mate. Merged into one for me, sorry 👍

Smartie
04-05-2020, 10:56 PM
Nope. After the win at Celtic, Rangers were top on 51 points, Celtic 2nd on 41 and we were 3rd on 39.

We were a point clear of Dundee Utd in 4th and 12 clear of Mothwrwell in 7th. In the final table we were 9 points behind Utd and 1 ahead of Motherwell.

Prior to the December humping at home we were only 5 points behind Rangers and there was muted talk of a title Challenge.

Did we have a few games in hand on Rangers?

Maybe it was just the fact that we'd won at Parkhead but I had remembered that result as having more significance as we looked up the way in the league.

It was pretty steep downhill from there.

To scratch at an older wound in this thread, Paul Hanlon was absolutely immense at CB in the Galbraith game. You're never going to get a result there without your centre halves playing well but I remember him and Liam Miller being different class.

G B Young
06-05-2020, 05:56 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52520867

Craigan: "We had a corner at 6-2 down. Ian Murray was marking me and he said 'You still have a chance'. I just looked at him and said 'It's 6-2!', and he replied 'Yeah but we can't defend'.
"I just said to him 'Have you watched us!?'.
"We ended up scoring from that corner through Giles Coke. We then went back up for another corner a few minutes later and Ian just said 'I told you'."

Craigan: "We then got it back to 6-5 and I just thought about Ian Murray 'he's right!'."

If that's true, why would Murray give them that kind of encouragement?!

Jones28
06-05-2020, 06:02 PM

Craigan: "We had a corner at 6-2 down. Ian Murray was marking me and he said 'You still have a chance'. I just looked at him and said 'It's 6-2!', and he replied 'Yeah but we can't defend'.
"We ended up scoring from that corner through Giles Coke. We then went back up for another corner a few minutes later and Ian just said 'I told you'."

Craigan: "We then got it back to 6-5 and I just thought about Ian Murray 'he's right!'."

Sums up the mentality Hibs had at that time. Soft as *****.

greenlex
06-05-2020, 06:48 PM

I don’t believe that for a second. I reckon Craigan us a slaver.

Eyrie
06-05-2020, 07:04 PM

You've obviously seen him on BT Sport then.

I'm_cabbaged
06-05-2020, 07:05 PM

I just about crashed when he came on.

The 90+2
06-05-2020, 07:08 PM

He’s not giving encouragement, he played at a higher level and knew what the team was about.

The 90+2
06-05-2020, 07:10 PM

Murray tells it like it is. He also doesn’t like John Hughes. Our defence was soft as *****, you see the defending the week before against hearts?