PDA

View Full Version : The semi final

Diclonius
03-05-2020, 10:44 AM
SFA still want it to be played next year, with Petrie suggesting Murrayfield.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/sfa-says-it-might-be-too-risky-have-hearts-and-hibs-fans-glasgow-scottish-cup-semi-final-2779178

DH1875
03-05-2020, 10:50 AM

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/sfa-says-it-might-be-too-risky-have-hearts-and-hibs-fans-glasgow-scottish-cup-semi-final-2779178

Question; IF they do play the games next year. What happens with the European place?

Tom Hart RIP
03-05-2020, 10:53 AM
According to today’s Record it goes to Aberdeen

Bostonhibby
03-05-2020, 10:55 AM
According to today’s Record it goes to AberdeenHearts will want it because of all the money Mrs doctor Budge spent to avoid relegation, it's only fair.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Hibee87
03-05-2020, 10:57 AM
Playing it next year when all teams have added/lost players seems ridiculous no? Are they going to exclude players who are 'cup tied' should anyone of us sign a player who played in it already etc? Imo, this just needs to be null and void, the league's wrapped up with current positions and everyone goes again whenever it's possible

green day
03-05-2020, 11:00 AM
Playing it next year when all teams have added/lost players seems ridiculous no? Are they going to exclude players who are 'cup tied' should anyone of us sign a player who played in it already etc? Imo, this just needs to be null and void, the league's wrapped up with current positions and everyone goes again whenever it's possible

Petries not daft.

While he wants it to be played out, I suspect he knows that what you have said is also a possibility - maybe even a probability.

He is a master at hedging his bets.

Ozyhibby
03-05-2020, 11:06 AM

The article says that rules will need changed to accommodate this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith_M
03-05-2020, 11:07 AM
Hearts will want it because of all the money Mrs doctor Budge spent to avoid relegation, it's only fair.

Plus she's a successful businesswoman, so they should actually be awarded the Cup.

Waxy
03-05-2020, 11:15 AM
According to today’s Record it goes to Aberdeen

That will probably cost us a heap of money, and its not very fair but under the circumstances i can accept that.
Its the fairest unfair thing to do so it must be done.

Waxy
03-05-2020, 11:18 AM
Plus she's a successful businesswoman, so they should actually be awarded the Cup.

Why do they stress that point.
Since shes owned hearts they’ve been pretty unsuccessful.
So that means shes now an unsuccessful businesswoman?

The 90+2
03-05-2020, 11:19 AM
That will probably cost us a heap of money, and its not very fair but under the circumstances i can accept that.
Its the fairest unfair thing to do so it must be done.

It’s very unlikely anyone but Celtic will win it regardless. If we do win it I’ll be delighted enough knocking hearts out then winning the final to really care about Europe.

Can see the Scottish being scrapped next season also, with the winners of the cup were in the semi of getting next again seasons European place. I don’t think the cup has a sponsor next season either so will be less obligation to play it out.

Bostonhibby
03-05-2020, 11:38 AM
Plus she's a successful businesswoman, so they should actually be awarded the Cup.[emoji106]

You do wonder if there's anything else they deserve, given they did spend all that money as the good lady says.

Maybe someone could finally finish off the stand for them, or cover the media area?
They're bound to be on telly a lot in the Championship and they'll want it looking it's best.

StevieC
03-05-2020, 12:46 PM
If its not completed there is the question of sponsorship money. Cancelling is going to cost the league hard cash, at a time when its going to need all the money it can get.

If its allowed, I can see it getting played later on this year. There will be no European place up for grabs though as its already been given to Aberdeen (which i think is fairest solution given the circumstances).

PatHead
03-05-2020, 12:55 PM
If its not completed there is the question of sponsorship money. Cancelling is going to cost the league hard cash, at a time when its going to need all the money it can get.

If its allowed, I can see it getting played later on this year. There will be no European place up for grabs though as its already been given to Aberdeen (which i think is fairest solution given the circumstances).

It wouldn't affect the league's finances. The cup is run by the sfa.
Clubs would love the chance to get a Premiership club at home.

Carheenlea
03-05-2020, 01:06 PM
With only 3 ties to play and a whole year before the next final there is no reason whatsoever to abandon this years competition. As Rod points out it’s the showpiece event for the SFA.

A midweek semi final and a Sunday final under the lights in say December would be fantastic I think.

chippy
03-05-2020, 01:11 PM

Good plan I’m in if there is a vaccine or effective treatments

chippy
03-05-2020, 01:14 PM
It’s very unlikely anyone but Celtic will win it regardless. If we do win it I’ll be delighted enough knocking hearts out then winning the final to really care about Europe.

Can see the Scottish being scrapped next season also, with the winners of the cup were in the semi of getting next again seasons European place. I don’t think the cup has a sponsor next season either so will be less obligation to play it out.
If the league starts so will the Scottish. If anything is scrapped it will be League Cup and the Challenge cup thing methinks. Probably no replays , play to a finish and some of the non - league clubs not included re safety

The 90+2
03-05-2020, 01:21 PM
If the league starts so will the Scottish. If anything is scrapped it will be League Cup and the Challenge cup thing methinks. Probably no replays , play to a finish and some of the non - league clubs not included re safety

I don’t think so. I also think it may be the case of the Prem/Championship player also.

Onion
03-05-2020, 01:44 PM
Game won't happen so all arbitrary.

G B Young
03-05-2020, 01:52 PM

Couldn't agree more. Suggesting playing it next year is a piece of nonsense. It can only be about money for the SFA if they're serious about this.

As you say, the changes in circumstances (Hearts will be in the Championship for starters, while all four clubs will have undergone significant changes in personnel) will mean the games bear no relation to the tournament they were part of. As with the league, this should just be called off. It's really no big deal.

Hibeesforever
03-05-2020, 01:59 PM
Couldn't agree more. Suggesting playing it next year is a piece of nonsense. It can only be about money for the SFA if they're serious about this.

As you say, the changes in circumstances (Hearts will be in the Championship for starters, while all four clubs will have undergone significant changes in personnel) will mean the games bear no relation to the tournament they were part of. As with the league, this should just be called off. It's really no big deal.

What's wrong with it being about money ? This commodity is in sort supply right now, perfectly sensible to get the semi finals played whenever in the future.

Sammy7nil
03-05-2020, 02:33 PM
With only 3 ties to play and a whole year before the next final there is no reason whatsoever to abandon this years competition. As Rod points out it’s the showpiece event for the SFA.

A midweek semi final and a Sunday final under the lights in say December would be fantastic I think.

Unless there is a vaccine can't see football being played on cold wet December nights when the virus may be at its most dangerous

I would like the cup game player though and a restricted 30,000 crowd at Murrayfield would be good :aok:

The 90+2
03-05-2020, 02:38 PM
Game won't happen so all arbitrary.

What happens with prize money? We still get it for making the Semi or is it all void?

The 90+2
03-05-2020, 02:39 PM
Unless there is a vaccine can't see football being played on cold wet December nights when the virus may be at its most dangerous

I would like the cup game player though and a restricted 30,000 crowd at Murrayfield would be good :aok:

Hearts are boycotting anyway as the SFA are on their mini hun hate list to go along with all these teams that stabbed them in the back (not just generally looking out for themselves).

Viva_Palmeiras
03-05-2020, 02:45 PM
Hardly maintaining sporting integrity if the yams get to buy a new team in the intervening...

The 90+2
03-05-2020, 02:54 PM
Hardly maintaining sporting integrity if the yams get to buy a new team in the intervening...

Should be players registered at the clubs at the time of the original Semi to fix that.

tamig
03-05-2020, 03:07 PM

Although it would be farcical playing the remaining games with potentially totally different line-ups. I think it should be canned.

Greenio
03-05-2020, 03:14 PM
I totally don't understand why you'd want the match voided. It's a semi final and a chance to pump the hearts, what's not to like!?

Billy Whizz
03-05-2020, 03:19 PM
Although it would be farcical playing the remaining games with potentially totally different line-ups. I think it should be canned.

I think this will be the biggest issue, who’s eligible to play, but it will be the same for all 4 teams

EI255
03-05-2020, 03:48 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else really care what happens? I couldn't.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Keith_M
03-05-2020, 03:57 PM

It's not high on my list of priorities either.

Phil MaGlass
03-05-2020, 04:23 PM
Mibbe the winners could be decided by a flip of the coin, flip the coin for the semis, then flip it for the final.:greengrin
we could do it live, with bookies taking online bets of who will be in the final and who would win it.:greengrin

G B Young
03-05-2020, 04:27 PM

Nor me. Season's over. Time to move on. More important things to think about.

Waxy
03-05-2020, 04:32 PM

Not at the moment.
The seasons finished, football will probably restart around August/September.
Hopefully with crowds if we can beat the virus.

The 90+2
03-05-2020, 04:33 PM

I probably will in a few months time when football is hopefully being arranged again and the realisation of a semi against them is scrapped.

hibee-boys
03-05-2020, 04:37 PM
Don't see the problem in the SFA discussing and consulting on whether they can try and come to a Scottish Cup conclusion this year or even beginning of next year......it's hardly going to impact on the efforts to overcome the virus. I would be delighted if there could be a way to play the semi and final, even if that means it falling into 2021. As for their agenda being financially driven, I would imagine our club would welcome any opportunity to generate revenue in the upcoming year, this would be an ideal opportunity.

Billy Whizz
03-05-2020, 04:38 PM
They are right to try and play this early in 2021 if they can

There has to he a doubt on the 20/21 Scottish Cup taking place
Juniors/Non/Lower League clubs, who go into the tournament from August onwards, as it stands, unlikely to play for a while

Seveno
03-05-2020, 05:27 PM
I think the semi should be played at Murrayfield with the crowd limited to 30,000.

Tickets should only be available to Hibs fans with Jambos re-assured that they will get exclusive access for the second leg.

Waxy
03-05-2020, 05:38 PM
The cup final would have been this coming weekend.
Can see it getting done this winter.

Eyrie
03-05-2020, 06:11 PM

Mixed feelings.

On the one hand, it's a chance to reclaim our trophy.

On the other hand, our chances of beating Celtc are minimal and it will almost be a different competition given the changes to all four squads before the games can be played.

hibbysam
03-05-2020, 09:10 PM

I care, I can’t wait for the day football can return. Lives are upside down but most are dealing with that. It’s possible to deal with lockdown while also getting excited and talking about the future and what will return to our lives. Football is a huge part of lives and the sooner it returns (safely) the better for me.

Waxy
03-05-2020, 09:17 PM
I care, I can’t wait for the day football can return. Lives are upside down but most are dealing with that. It’s possible to deal with lockdown while also getting excited and talking about the future and what will return to our lives. Football is a huge part of lives and the sooner it returns (safely) the better for me.

Everyones talking about the worst case scenario, but whats the best case scenario?’
Far east countries seem to be dealing with this well now.
Maybe this could be alot shorter than people think.
Scottish football wise only the jambos are spouting doomsday, but everyone knows their agenda.
Season tickets are being bought. Strips will be bought online.
Scottish clubs will survive.

Not sure about England. Scary money they deal in and its not linked to attendances.

jacomo
04-05-2020, 09:26 AM
Nor me. Season's over. Time to move on. More important things to think about.

We are in a Scottish Cup semi final v Hearts.

Definitely something to look forward to, and a good fillip for the game if it can happen in the autumn.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-05-2020, 09:32 AM
I think the semi should be played at Murrayfield with the crowd limited to 30,000.

Tickets should only be available to Hibs fans with Jambos re-assured that they will get exclusive access for the second leg.

Are you predicting another Nielsen (2-2)?

GreenNWhiteArmy
04-05-2020, 09:49 AM
If we are unable to continue the competition with the same list of eligible players, then IMO from a sporting integrity perspective it should be written off this season.

I say that with a genuine belief that we would have absolutely horsed Hearts in the semi

Col2
04-05-2020, 10:02 AM
Oddly this game and the final and more than likely to happen than starting the league anytime soon.

If and it’s a big if we can get back to filling stadiums safely (vacations) then these semi finals and final are big commercial opportunities none of us can afford to ditch. Next season Scottish cup will be delayed at least into 2021 and won’t start before these games are completed.

G B Young
04-05-2020, 11:54 AM
If we are unable to continue the competition with the same list of eligible players, then IMO from a sporting integrity perspective it should be written off this season.

I say that with a genuine belief that we would have absolutely horsed Hearts in the semi

Agreed.

And why would you bring an end to the 2019/20 season only to then try and shoehorn a wee bit of it into the following season, possibly as much as a year after the games would originally have been played? Seems plain daft.

With a bit of luck Hearts will have been liquidated by then anyway.

Waxy
04-05-2020, 12:03 PM
No reason why this should be binned.
All four clubs have earned the right at a shot of this.
Its alot of gate money to chuck away.
Postpone till its safe to play it then play it at Murrayfield.

KeithTheHibby
04-05-2020, 12:18 PM

Regardless of when it is played it is still a semi-final of our national cup competition. The clubs, players and supporters deserve the chance of winning a trophy.

Let's not forget its also quite a lot of money that the clubs would lose if the competition was null and void.

Whatever they do it has to be played with supporters so 2021 does look the earliest it shall be played.

GreenNWhiteArmy
04-05-2020, 12:34 PM
Regardless of when it is played it is still a semi-final of our national cup competition. The clubs, players and supporters deserve the chance of winning a trophy.

Let's not forget its also quite a lot of money that the clubs would lose if the competition was null and void.

Whatever they do it has to be played with supporters so 2021 does look the earliest it shall be played.

Hypothetical scenario - Rangers/Hearts colluding leads to the huns loaning their little brothers a few players (Davis/Defoe and Kamara) for example because the latter has admitted that financially, they are screwed playing a season in the championship. Would you be ok if they all played a part and beat us?

IMO unless you are using the same squad of players that were registered for the 2019/20 season (and then there's the possibility/likelihood that Omeonga/Docherty/McNulty might no be with us either), then its cancelled. We've played what 3 games in the cup?

The 90+2
04-05-2020, 12:39 PM
Hypothetical scenario - Rangers/Hearts colluding leads to the huns loaning their little brothers a few players (Davis/Defoe and Kamara) for example because the latter has admitted that financially, they are screwed playing a season in the championship. Would you be ok if they all played a part and beat us?

IMO unless you are using the same squad of players that were registered for the 2019/20 season (and then there's the possibility/likelihood that Omeonga/Docherty/McNulty might no be with us either), then its cancelled. We've played what 3 games in the cup?

There should be some middle ground somewhere ie:

Players registered for other clubs before the semi final are automatically cup tied. It would mean at least Kamberi could play up top for us 😁

Hibeesmad
08-05-2020, 08:42 PM
We really need to win this if it gets played 😂

Waxy
08-05-2020, 08:50 PM

It will be played.At Murrayfield likely.

Since452
08-05-2020, 08:51 PM

If Karma continues like it has been we'll pump them

Clarence
08-05-2020, 08:58 PM
We won it in such style the last time, witnessed by tens of thousands of Hibees, I don’t think this competition should be played until we can all be there to see it again.

Eyrie
08-05-2020, 09:58 PM

Agreed.

It would be embarrassing to be knocked out by a lower league club.

MWHIBBIES
08-05-2020, 10:30 PM

We really wouldn't have. Almost happy it's probably not happening, all set up for us to lose. Look at the last league match. Was zero chance of us "horsing" them.

Hibeesmad
22-05-2020, 07:52 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/could-hearts-v-hibs-scottish-cup-semi-be-set-2021-2861492

Peevemor
22-05-2020, 07:55 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/could-hearts-v-hibs-scottish-cup-semi-be-set-2021-2861492

Sounds too sensible and practical for an administrator.