PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Vegas

Northernhibee
02-05-2020, 04:07 PM
Had been on Twitter saying he was sat in his garden listening to the Proclaimers. Tweeted back with the 2016 version of SoL at Hampden and he responded with this. Think we've got another celebrity Hibee convert!:

"Swear to the big one upstairs that fair brought a tear to my eye. You won't believe me but it was as that track came on that I asked my eld fella "What am I to do Dad?" Sometimes a song reminds you of wisdom passed down but dismissed at the time 'cause you thought you knew it all"

Mick O'Rourke
02-05-2020, 04:33 PM
Aside it being our anthem.
It is more than just "a song"
It is so poetic
Like YNWA, it has some very deep meaning and so thought provoking.
I can understand how Johnny and i guess many others can see and relate to it on a personal or even spiritual level.

I was staying in Denver Colorado 20 years ago
The bar i used had SOL on the jukebox
It wasn't a "scotttish" bar
Yet the song was played regularly and sang along too at weekends and karaoke nights

Many African Americans singing it.
Was in tears first night i heard it sung in the bar

Pretty Boy
02-05-2020, 05:03 PM
I remember reading an article a few years ago, I think it was in a German publication, that broke down why SOL is both a great football song and just a great song. The conclusion was it was a bit kitsch but there is nothing wrong with that.

It's a song that gets the bottom lip trembling every single time I hear the very 1st note.

SouthMoroccoStu
02-05-2020, 05:18 PM
James Corden and Russel Brand also retweeted and shared the celebration from that day in May

LancashireHibby
02-05-2020, 05:26 PM
Think I’ve just roped Mr Vegas in for a visit to ER when lockdown is done 🤣

weecounty hibby
02-05-2020, 05:30 PM
First time my wife heard it was v Aberdeen in LC when we were in Div1. Played at HT as a tribute to a kid who had sadly died of cancer iirc. She was absolutely howling!!
It is a stunning football anthem. Regardless of whether 16000 at ER after beating the tarts or 25000 at Hampden after winning the league or Scottish cup it is just spine tingling when the whole Hibs end is singing it

Northernhibee
02-05-2020, 05:36 PM
Think I’ve just roped Mr Vegas in for a visit to ER when lockdown is done 🤣

The Macron shirts aren't going to be a great fit for him. Or me, for that matter.

CraigHibee
02-05-2020, 10:15 PM
The Macron shirts aren't going to be a great fit for him. Or me, for that matter.

definitely not me either once lock down is finished with :greengrin

Since452
02-05-2020, 10:59 PM
It's just a beautiful song and I've heard people interpret it in so many ways but for me its purely football and sums up my time supporting Hibs. They've broken my heart so many times but I'd never change my club. That special win that happens from time to time makes everything ok.

darwenhibby
02-05-2020, 11:12 PM
I live in a town of approx 30k
How many have said to me they would love to be there when The HIBS fans sing SOL at its best
They say no better anthem in football 🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

Broken Gnome
03-05-2020, 12:09 AM
Found this earlier in the week:

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/soccer/2020/4/27/21238339/sunshine-on-leith-hibernian-hibs-fans-singing-the-proclaimers

Just_Jimmy
03-05-2020, 02:43 AM
That footage from 2007 is epic.

The Scottish cup final is obviously the greatest day in every Hibs fans football life, but that day in 07 comes so so so close. It was just incredible and the sunshine on Leith is so memorable.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Mibbes Aye
03-05-2020, 03:48 AM

The Scottish cup final is obviously the greatest day in every Hibs fans football life, but that day in 07 comes so so so close. It was just incredible and the sunshine on Leith is so memorable.

2016 was incredibly special, I had my daughter who was eight at the time with me, I think her second Hibs game, and regardless of anything it would have been a great father-and-daughter day out. As it turned out, she was witness to some incredible scenes- grown men around her, on their knees, crying their eyes out, a crazy pitch invasion. Our coach was outside of Montfords and we were the first back and there was no sign of anybody else so I took her with me into Montfords, so I could have a ‘lemonade’. The place filled up in no time and some really generous guys decided they would give a very little girl with a Hibs scarf some money. She was a bit confused but chuffed to bits and left with good memories and a rake of cash!

Anyway, to get back to the point, I felt more emotional singing SOL in 2007 than I did in 2016. 2016 was a more dramatic game, without a doubt, but the SOL in 2007 felt better. The footage from the BBC reinforces that.

wpj
03-05-2020, 07:32 AM
I met Johnny Vegas on a train, he was with his lad and everyone left him alone. We did have a wee chat. Nice guy and now a Hibee

theonlywayisup
03-05-2020, 07:42 AM
Found this earlier in the week:

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/soccer/2020/4/27/21238339/sunshine-on-leith-hibernian-hibs-fans-singing-the-proclaimers

Forgot that Steven Naismith played that day for Killie.

speedy_gonzales
03-05-2020, 11:49 AM
Forgot that Steven Naismith played that day for Killie.

I wish I'd forgot that Rolf Harris sang Killie Fine Day for the '07 league cup final!

https://youtu.be/YrTqAcH_010

portohibee
03-05-2020, 12:01 PM

Proposed to my now wife while we were signing it at the 2007 final, great memories

PatHead
03-05-2020, 12:58 PM
Proposed to my now wife while we were signing it at the 2007 final, great memories

Of the proposal or being single?

McD
03-05-2020, 05:15 PM

I was going to say that’s a beautiful moment...then...

I'm now buckled laughing, and when my wife asked what I was laughing at, she said it’s not funny. I disagree :faf:

PatHead
03-05-2020, 05:31 PM

I'm now buckled laughing, and when my wife asked what I was laughing at, she said it’s not funny. I disagree :faf:
Glad to be of service.

whiskyhibby
03-05-2020, 05:43 PM

Agree, I was lucky enough to be at both, the SOL rendition on that day in 2007 was amazing , I had the proclaimers playing all the way home in the car from Hampden 😊😎

Joe6-2
03-05-2020, 06:37 PM

Women 🙄

03-05-2020, 10:11 PM
I wish I'd forgot that Rolf Harris sang Killie Fine Day for the '07 league cup final!

https://youtu.be/YrTqAcH_010

That's more embarrassing for them than the scoreline.

portohibee
04-05-2020, 08:02 AM

arh the proposal of course, the stag in Amsterdam made it all worth it:not worth

LustForLeith
04-05-2020, 05:09 PM
Am I right in thinking the first game it properly took off was the home game v Athens? Was it not played at the end of normal time and Chick Young was doing the commentary for the BBC and he said he was almost in tears

Dalianwanda
04-05-2020, 05:17 PM
His book ‘Becoming Johnny Vegas’ is well worth a read...

Broken Gnome
04-05-2020, 05:24 PM
Am I right in thinking the first game it properly took off was the home game v Athens? Was it not played at the end of normal time and Chick Young was doing the commentary for the BBC and he said he was almost in tears

Correct. Remember it at the De La Cruz derby too, which might've been pre-match. There were a few half time airings after that, given there were naff all full time celebrations for three or four years.

Pretty Boy
04-05-2020, 05:45 PM

Yep.

I remember at the end of the SC semi final v Livi in 2001 there was a fairly loud rendition of 'You'll never Walk Alone' from the Hibs end near the end of the game.

Tbh even after the AEK game it took a long while to really catch on properly. I would say it was 2007 when it really cemented it's place. The TV capturing it that day played a huge part. It was heard before then but it was always a bit half hearted and nothing like the polished performances we get post derbies and games at Hampden now.