PDA

View Full Version : who is Ton Englisher

A Hi-Bee
02-05-2020, 02:00 PM
Who the **** is Tom English, what gives him the kudos to appear as an expert on Scottish Football and how and when it should be run.

Billy Whizz
02-05-2020, 02:00 PM
Who the **** is Tom English, what gives him the kudos to appear as an expert on Scottish Football and how and when it should be run.

He’s Ann Budge’s puppet on the BBC

Tobias Funke
02-05-2020, 02:04 PM
He is an idiot and best ignored. He should stick to commenting on egg chasing as he is out his depth when it comes to Scottish football.

hibeerealist
02-05-2020, 02:11 PM
A prize plum!!

Pretty Boy
02-05-2020, 02:13 PM
He's the guy who thought Hibs should have sold John McGinn for £1.5M because he 'wouldn't get in the Celtic midfield'.

Pretty Boy
02-05-2020, 02:14 PM
He is an idiot and best ignored. He should stick to commenting on egg chasing as he is out his depth when it comes to Scottish football.

According to some of my pals who are that way inclined he's not much better when it comes to the rugby.

Tobias Funke
02-05-2020, 03:00 PM
According to some of my pals who are that way inclined he's not much better when it comes to the rugby.

Not a surprise to be honest.

HibbyAndy
02-05-2020, 03:08 PM
He's the guy who thought Hibs should have sold John McGinn for £1.5M because he 'wouldn't get in the Celtic midfield'.

:agree:

Correct , He's a complete and utter bellend

Since452
02-05-2020, 03:14 PM
He's best sticking to rugby

Treadstone
02-05-2020, 03:14 PM
I questioned him on twitter after Lennon got hit by the coin at Tynecastle. Gary Caldwell was giving it "he brings it on himself" and I asked English why he never said anything, he claimed he was writing his report but it didn't seem to stop him interjecting at other points in the post match show.

The Captain....
02-05-2020, 03:40 PM
Find English one of the poorest pundits on Radio Scotland, which given the competition is quite some accolade.

His slavish devotion to Budge is just bizarre.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
02-05-2020, 03:43 PM
Always think he sounds like Dara O’Briain

supermcginn
02-05-2020, 03:59 PM
An Irish rugby fan, chief football writer for BBC Scotland. Unbelievable

Keith_M
02-05-2020, 04:02 PM
Ton Englisher?

:confused:

lord bunberry
02-05-2020, 04:03 PM
He was handed his arse by Neil Doncaster today. He came out with the classic line “Ann Budge doesn’t make mistakes” the guy has been shown up as being clueless.

malcolm
02-05-2020, 04:06 PM

he's the clingy wee guy in this 23268

Alfred E Newman
02-05-2020, 04:11 PM
When he first appeared on the scene I thought he wasn't too bad till he suddenly became a self appointed wisdom of knowledge on all sports.
Now I think he is just an absolute slaver.

Kojock
02-05-2020, 04:11 PM
He’s Ann Budge’s puppet on the BBC

How many times did he mention that Anne Budge was a great and respect business woman. Vomit inducing the way he sucks up to her. I'm beginning to think Barry Anderson is the love child of Budge and English.

JimBHibees
02-05-2020, 04:16 PM
An Irish rugby fan, chief football writer for BBC Scotland. Unbelievable

Very good point.

Kojock

He's also the guy that said that UEFAs player of the year Virgil Van Dijk wouldn't cut it in the English Premiership.

weecounty hibby
As a massive rugby fan who follows Scotland home and away and played for 30 odd years can you all stop saying he should get back to commenting on rugby. He is a ****ing buffoon who just likes the sound of his own voice. He talks utter ***** about rugby as well. He is the pub bore who just goes on and on and on in a loud voice to make it sound like he knows what he is talking about. He doesn't know any more about football or rugby than me. He can do one and watch the tarts in div1 next year as he seems to love them so much

PatHead
02-05-2020, 05:21 PM
As a massive rugby fan who follows Scotland home and away and played for 30 odd years can you all stop saying he should get back to commenting on rugby. He is a ****ing buffoon who just likes the sound of his own voice. He talks utter ***** about rugby as well. He is the pub bore who just goes on and on and on in a loud voice to make it sound like he knows what he is talking about. He doesn't know any more about football or rugby than me. He can do one and watch the tarts in div1 next year as he seems to love them so much

So do you rate him?

weecounty hibby
02-05-2020, 05:27 PM
So do you rate him?

As a total ******** who talks ***** on a whole range of issues, I would say he rates very highly

Gloucester Hibs
02-05-2020, 05:28 PM
I questioned him on twitter after Lennon got hit by the coin at Tynecastle. Gary Caldwell was giving it "he brings it on himself" and I asked English why he never said anything, he claimed he was writing his report but it didn't seem to stop him interjecting at other points in the post match show.

Mentioned it before but English penned a BBC article celebrating Neil Lennon’s 10 years in management - Hibs didn’t even merit a mention! He was Hibs manager for a quarter of those 10 years.

Baader
02-05-2020, 05:50 PM
Mentioned it before but English penned a BBC article celebrating Neil Lennon’s 10 years in management - Hibs didn’t even merit a mention! He was Hibs manager for a quarter of those 10 years.

I read this article and couldn't believe my eyes. Some management retrospective that was. Terrible journalism.

CapitalGreen
02-05-2020, 05:56 PM
The less successful brother of the journalist Alan English.

Kato
02-05-2020, 06:14 PM
He was handed his arse by Neil Doncaster today. He came out with the classic line “Ann Budge doesn’t make mistakes” the guy has been shown up as being clueless.Did he really say that? Looking at where Hearts are football wise and the fiasco of the ongoing building of the stand he's totally at the ham. You can go too far with courting controversy though before you end up looking like an idiot, which is where he is at.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Greenbeard
02-05-2020, 07:10 PM
Spot on Wee County.
Talking of which he is a spot on the face of BBC Scotland sports's coverage. A big swollen glowing one. Every so often someone at the BBC gives him a squeeze and a whole load of puss comes out.

gaz1875
02-05-2020, 07:54 PM
Despite having been given the details by Neil Doncaster today. he still tried to twist words and manipulate the answers to suit his own agenda for his love in with Anne Fudge.

scm70nyd1973
02-05-2020, 08:08 PM
He was handed his arse by Neil Doncaster today. He came out with the classic line “Ann Budge doesn’t make mistakes” the guy has been shown up as being clueless.

So no mistakes then - wait a minute, ordering seats anyone ? He would say that it wasn’t her but yet would say that Leeann personally voted for an end to the leagues - WTF

Tobias Funke
02-05-2020, 08:12 PM

I’ve read a couple of his BBC articles on the Scottish rugby team and he does enjoy putting the boot in which makes me wonder why our national broadcaster has employed a bitter fud from Ireland as it’s chief writer.

CraigHibee
02-05-2020, 10:13 PM
How many times did he mention that Anne Budge was a great and respect business woman

he wants to pump it, could be the only reason?

maybe that tartan outfit she wears has got him all giddy

SouthMoroccoStu
02-05-2020, 10:15 PM
An hun/Jambo twit best ignored

NadeAteMyLunch!
03-05-2020, 08:09 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/tenglishsport/status/1022841010664222720

A short and concise Tweet that manages to tell you everything you need to know about Tom’s football knowledge

Hibstrooper
03-05-2020, 08:28 AM
After the big fracas on the benches at the last Hibs Rangers game at ER, English was quick off the mark post match saying it was all the Hibs benches fault and they were the antagonists.

Funny he was all quiet when after the investigations it was a couple of Rangers coaches that got punished hardest.

Stanton Spence
03-05-2020, 08:36 AM
I actually thought he was paki bonnar for over a year when he first came on the tranny. It wasn't until I seen the slaver on the telly I realised who he was [emoji16]
A slaver none the less and the SJM chat proves that

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

03-05-2020, 08:55 AM
Has this chump ever said what Scottish team he prefers? If he has, I bet it's a lower division team so he has (in his mind) more credibility when talking about the top teams due to no bias.

superfurryhibby
03-05-2020, 09:14 AM

This is worthy of a comment. I take it that it's your work Malcolm?

malcolm
03-05-2020, 10:32 AM
This is worthy of a comment. I take it that it's your work Malcolm?

Yes a reprise of what used to be my weekly .net cartoon

Greenbeard
03-05-2020, 12:39 PM
Mongle 5hit is an anagram of Tom English

GRA
03-05-2020, 05:37 PM

This sums it up for me. He penned an article titled 'Neil Lennon's decade in management' which should have been titled 'My Neil Lennon Celtic love in'. 95% commentary on his 5 years with Celtic but half a paragraph dedicated to his Bolton/Hibs days!

Joke of a 'journalist'.

hibby6270
03-05-2020, 06:17 PM
To continue the Tom English bashing on this thread, more damning evidence the man is a clown.

I’ve had this on my Tivo box for 4 years now and it riles me still, watching it and thinking about it. The occasion was of course a much happier event and that’s what gets me through it.

I eventually managed to find the actual programme it came from. BBC Sportscene highlights show on 22/5/2016 featuring the Killie v Falkirk play-off. Yes - the day after - but the final part of the show was highlights and comment on that glorious day before.

Anyway, I digress. Wallow in the first 7 minutes or so of this clip I’ve edited from the full programme and then check out English’s mind numbing condemnation of what is now widely accepted as exuberance. His words still make my toes curl and show, even 4 years ago, what a despicable specimen of a sports reporter he was, still is.

https://youtu.be/58MwJZt-81I

Clarence
03-05-2020, 06:26 PM
He’s an antagonist in the mould of Traynor.

Peevemor
03-05-2020, 06:31 PM
To continue the Tom English bashing on this thread, more damning evidence the man is a clown.

I’ve had this on my Tivo box for 4 years now and it riles me still, watching it and thinking about it. The occasion was of course a much happier event and that’s what gets me through it.

I eventually managed to find the actual programme it came from. BBC Sportscene highlights show on 22/5/2016 featuring the Killie v Falkirk play-off. Yes - the day after - but the final part of the show was highlights and comment on that glorious day before.

Anyway, I digress. Wallow in the first 7 minutes or so of this clip I’ve edited from the full programme and then check out English’s mind numbing condemnation of what is now widely accepted as exuberance. His words still make my toes curl and show, even 4 years ago, what a despicable specimen of a sports reporter he was, still is.

https://youtu.be/58MwJZt-81IFFS!

"The multiple attacks on the Rangers players were scandalous. Mind-alteringly disgraceful. You'd call them surreal if they weren't very, very real".

No they weren't.

You can f*** right off ya slavering dick!

Kato
03-05-2020, 07:05 PM
FFS!

"The multiple attacks on the Rangers players were scandalous. Mind-alteringly disgraceful. You'd call them surreal if they weren't very, very real".

No they weren't.

You can f*** right off ya slavering dick!Do hes just blind as a bat it seems.

The 90+2
03-05-2020, 07:09 PM
FFS!

No they weren't.

Why has he never been pulled up about this?

HFC93
03-05-2020, 07:21 PM
His dislike for Hibs is clear when he's on the radio. He likes to get a dig in at any opportunity.

Also, his fawning over Budge is odd, he's almost her full time PR man.

malcolm
03-05-2020, 07:28 PM
Do hes just blind as a bat it seems.

Dumb and blind but as a redeeming feature he may well play a mean pinball.

The 90+2
03-05-2020, 07:39 PM
His dislike for Hibs is clear when he's on the radio. He likes to get a dig in at any opportunity.

Also, his fawning over Budge is odd, he's almost her full time PR man.

He also:
Backed Levein for years telling Michael Stewart it was person his opinion of Levein when he was completely correct about him.
Backed hearts and their treatment of Whelan and Berra earlier this season.
Talked up Macphee for the full time role.
Fawned over their new **** tip stand.

It seems they can do wrong in his eyes, biased in the extreme but has covered it up trying to be this impartial rugby man. His true colours have shown through now though and that report on the cup final just smacks of complete bitterness and lies from their chief sports writer.

Kato
03-05-2020, 07:53 PM
He also:
Backed Levein for years telling Michael Stewart it was person his opinion of Levein when he was completely correct about him.
Backed hearts and their treatment of Whelan and Berra earlier this season.
Talked up Macphee for the full time role.
Fawned over their new **** tip stand.

It seems they can do wrong in his eyes, biased in the extreme but has covered it up trying to be this impartial rugby man. His true colours have shown through now though and that report on the cup final just smacks of complete bitterness and lies from their chief sports writer.If it's true that the producer at BBC Glasgow Sport is a Jambo maybe English is just a sook. Hes certainly prepared to get it wrong time after time in his siding with them.

His comments after the 2016 Cup Win are a disgrace. If he doesn't like the way we play football I can take that on the chin, same as other journalists.

Sheer lies about the support is another thing all together. I

Kato
03-05-2020, 07:55 PM
Dumb and blind but as a redeeming feature he may well play a mean pinball.Rugby. Football. Pinball.

Is there no beginning to this mans skills?

The 90+2
03-05-2020, 08:01 PM
If it's true that the producer at BBC Glasgow Sport is a Jambo maybe English is just a sook. Hes certainly prepared to get it wrong time after time in his siding with them.

His comments after the 2016 Cup Win are a disgrace. If he doesn't like the way we play football I can take that on the chin, same as other journalists.

Sheer lies about the support is another thing all together. I

Yep. He should be taken to task for that. Chic Young and Keith Jackson I can get my head around but the Chief Sports Writer for the BBC?

Wheat Hound
03-05-2020, 08:20 PM

I've not seen that clip before. What a liar. He needs tagged on twitter and confronted with that. Not the first time he has inaccurately reported after a Hibs v Sevco match.

hibby6270
03-05-2020, 08:38 PM
I've not seen that clip before. What a liar. He needs tagged on twitter and confronted with that. Not the first time he has inaccurately reported after a Hibs v Sevco match.

LOL It’s taken me best part of 4 years to track it down on YouTube. I was searching for the wrong thing. Then a light bulb moment last week when I watched my Tivo Recording again. The main programme wasn’t about the Cup Final. :rolleyes:

Did a quick trawl on YouTube again and there it was. Staring me in the face all the time. Downloaded it. Edited it. And now we have the case for the prosecution - as they say!!

Scouse Hibee
03-05-2020, 08:44 PM
Is he related to Johnny English?

03-05-2020, 08:48 PM

Brilliant work! I guess that makes Neil Doncaster Baron Von Greenback.

J-C
03-05-2020, 09:23 PM
I actually thought he was paki bonnar for over a year when he first came on the tranny. It wasn't until I seen the slaver on the telly I realised who he was [emoji16]
A slaver none the less and the SJM chat proves that

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Is this a BBC thing or available to all sports journalists.

Eyrie
03-05-2020, 09:34 PM
Is he related to Johnny English?

He's Johnny's less talented brother.

brog
03-05-2020, 09:37 PM

Great find. Ironically wasn't there a pitch invasion after Killie beat Falkirk in the play off? The only difference was the Falkirk fans didn't come on & attack the exuberant Killie fans!!

hibby6270
03-05-2020, 10:03 PM
Great find. Ironically wasn't there a pitch invasion after Killie beat Falkirk in the play off? The only difference was the Falkirk fans didn't come on & attack the exuberant Killie fans!!

You’re right. Just watched it again. Mind you, lucky if there was a couple of hundred that ventured on the pitch. They did let off one of those blue smoke flare things. That must’ve done their plastic pitch a lot of good eh?!

ScottB
03-05-2020, 11:37 PM
His performance during the Doncaster segment of Sportsound was pitiful. Essentially took a position of ‘well Anne told me so it must be true’ and even dropped in the successful businesswoman crap

To be honest it was an embarrassment of a show for all concerned, the bunch of them seemed to barely understand what Doncaster told them, then went right back to their argument about ‘just advance them the money’ minutes after being told why that couldn’t be done.

1875godsgift
04-05-2020, 12:12 AM
Dumb and blind but as a redeeming feature he may well play a mean pinball.

I doubt it.

But I bet he's good at pocket billiards when Dr. Ann Over-Budget is around.

cocteautwin
04-05-2020, 02:14 AM
One does wonder if there isn't some level of dereliction of duty here. A Scottish Sports journalist who missed one of the the biggest stories in Scottish football since Hearts went in to Admin, namely the continued financial mismanagement over at Tynecastle.

Close to £30m has been squandered with not a peep from the Scottish media questioning what the the amounts have been spent on, or any questioning of the source of much of the funds.

Scandalous.

Maybe something will come out in the aftermath of the relegation?

Betty Boop
04-05-2020, 08:14 AM
One does wonder if there isn't some level of dereliction of duty here. A Scottish Sports journalist who missed one of the the biggest stories in Scottish football since Hearts went in to Admin, namely the continued financial mismanagement over at Tynecastle.

Close to £30m has been squandered with not a peep from the Scottish media questioning what the the amounts have been spent on, or any questioning of the source of much of the funds.

Scandalous.

Michael Stewart never mentions it either. Its questionable if he is classed as a journalist though.

JimBHibees
04-05-2020, 09:12 AM
FFS!

No they weren't.

The only reason there was trouble was Hibs fans goading Rangers fans should read as the only reason there was trouble was Rangers fans doing what they traditionally do. Bizarre take on things. He is appalling

JimBHibees
04-05-2020, 09:15 AM

Scandalous.

Spot on this whole anonymous benefactor thing is truly bizarre without as you say any question. Scottish sports journalism is so incentuous and lacking impartial rigour it is frightening. Lamb obviously still on the menu big time.

Gloucester Hibs
04-05-2020, 09:17 AM
The only reason there was trouble was Hibs fans goading Rangers fans should read as the only reason there was trouble was Rangers fans doing what they traditionally do. Bizarre take on things. He is appalling

The whole media narrative on those events was that the Rangers support done nothing wrong. No condemnation from them and certainly not from the club itself who came out with a bizarre explanation that they only entered the field of play to defend their players who were being attacked?

JimBHibees
04-05-2020, 09:22 AM
The whole media narrative on those events was that the Rangers support done nothing wrong. No condemnation from them and certainly not from the club itself who came out with a bizarre explanation that they only entered the field of play to defend their players who were being attacked?

Yep no responsibility at all. Just imagine if it had been the other way about Hibs fans would have been getting slated for being thugs by the same media who absolved the Rangers fans.

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-05-2020, 11:14 AM
Yep no responsibility at all. Just imagine if it had been the other way about Hibs fans would have been getting slated for being thugs by the same media who absolved the Rangers fans.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200504/abaeaaf38011b955fcdc4588ccedf8ae.jpg
Led by Keith Jackson I’m sure. “Every member of the Rangers team was assaulted or spat on during the Scottish cup final pitch invasion”. One of the worst opening sentences to any newspaper article ever.

Jones28
04-05-2020, 11:53 AM
Led by Keith Jackson I’m sure. “Every member of the Rangers team was assaulted or spat on during the Scottish cup final pitch invasion”. One of the worst opening sentences to any newspaper article ever.

Has that **** ever been asked to account for the bile he spouted after the cup final?

Lying *******.

HFC93
04-05-2020, 11:58 AM

Was any evidence produced to substantiate the spitting claim? Crazy headline

WhileTheChief..
04-05-2020, 12:01 PM
I’ve always like Tom English.

He’s also been one of the most popular journalists on here over the years.

It’s only cause he’s going against what most us want that he’s taking abuse on here now. Similarly, Kickback are loving him just now but usually hate him.

As ever with these things, if they write what we agree with we love them, if not, we turn on them and call them all kinds of names!

Rumble de Thump
04-05-2020, 12:04 PM

The weird thing about the faslse statements from Sevco officials and journalists in he aftermath of that game is that they seemed to forget that tens of thousands of people were actually in the stadium witnessing what happened. And there were even more watching on the telly. Video and photography was always going to confirm that they were lying but they chose to lie time and time again about it.

Rumble de Thump
04-05-2020, 12:06 PM

It’s only cause he’s going against what most us want that he’s taking abuse on here now. Similarly, Kickback are loving him just now but usually hate him.

As ever with these things, if they write what we agree with we love them, if not, we turn on them and call them all kinds of names!

He's going against anyone who wants truth and facts.

delbert
04-05-2020, 12:56 PM

Or was Chick Young ever interviewed by the police for his assertion, live on air, that he had with his own eyes seen a Sevco player assaulted with a belt, somehow I doubt it ?! Both Jackson and Young should have been banned for life for these remarks, lying ****bags that they have been proven to be and I’m very disappointed indeed that those in charge of our club did not properly and publicly hold these people and their vile rags to account.

The 90+2
04-05-2020, 12:58 PM
Or was Chick Young ever interviewed by the police for his assertion, live on air, that he had with his own eyes seen a Sevco player assaulted with a belt, somehow I doubt it ?! Both Jackson and Young should have been banned for life for these remarks, lying ****bags that they have been proven to be and I’m very disappointed indeed that those in charge of our club did not properly and publicly hold these people and their vile rags to account.

There’s still a difference between Chic Young (who has been demoted over the last couple of seasons) Keith Jackson who writes for a rag and Tom English, chief sports writer of the BBC sport. He more than anyone should be pulled up.

What did Jim Spence get punted for? Something a lot less than that. And I’m sure he spoke the truth also.

Rumble de Thump
04-05-2020, 01:14 PM
On Sportsound, Spence referred to the original Rangers as "the club that died". The BBC recieved 400 complaints, the BBC Trust got involved and he was eventually found not to have breached editorial guidlines. He said he left the BBC because he wanted to be "less constrained" in what he could say.

Jones28
04-05-2020, 01:25 PM

The

I did like English, but to try and cover this as mild mannered football related flip flopping is so at odds with what is being said. He basically dismissed the words of Neil Doncaster and sided with Budge despite being told by Doncaster that Budge was simply wrong.

His attempted flogging of Doncaster on Saturday was pathetic and he lost any remaining credibility for me.

He’s just wrong, there’s no two ways about it.

hhibs
04-05-2020, 01:58 PM

Sorry,you really have got that very wrong ,in my and ,I would say most opinion on this board

04-05-2020, 02:40 PM
The guy would have a modicom of credibility if he was upfront about what Scottish team he prefers but as far as I can tell he keeps it quiet and pretends to be neutral.

Kato
04-05-2020, 02:42 PM

What do you like about him.

04-05-2020, 02:47 PM
What do you like about him.

Good question, I wonder if it is his fake neutrality or his pompous know-it-all attitude?

PatHead
04-05-2020, 04:04 PM

At first I didn't mind English. To be fair his competition was Traynor, Chick Young and the likes. Anyone would be an improvement.

He seems now to be a cross between a sensational journalist who has an agenda and sticks to it no matter what or simply an establishment figure who pontificates like an authority on everything.

Don't mind Jim Spence and Michael Stewart though he has gotten very pro Hearts since Levein was emptied. Don't listen as much as I used to these days and a lot of that was due to what I felt was an anti Hibs bias. Also didn't like the overchummyness between presenters.

They seem to be under the misapprehension that if they are upsetting all fans they must be something right.

Don't read the Evening News for the anti Hibs agenda either.

Pretty Boy
04-05-2020, 04:10 PM
At first I didn't mind English. To be fair his competition was Traynor, Chick Young and the likes. Anyone would be an improvement.

He seems now to be a cross between a sensational journalist who has an agenda and sticks to it no matter what or simply an establishment figure who pontificates like an authority on everything.

Don't mind Jim Spence and Michael Stewart though he has gotten very pro Hearts since Levein was emptied. Don't listen as much as I used to these days and a lot of that was due to what I felt was an anti Hibs bias. Also didn't like the overchummyness between presenters.

They seem to be under the misapprehension that if they are upsetting all fans they must be something right.

Don't read the Evening News for the anti Hibs agenda either.

I quite liked English when he first appeared in the scene as well. At a time When Jim Traynors phone in for bigoted morons was still fresh in the memory he made a pleasant change.

I didn't have any issue with his criticism of Hibs in his early day either. Much of it was justified, I remember him tearing strips of us after a defeat at Tynecastle and it was well deserved. In recent years though he has gone down the route of being intentionally contrary and inflammatory. It's just tedious and brings little to any discussion.

With regards to the current situation he is entitled to his opinion but his complete unwillingness to concede a single point, a real peeve of mine, and his refusal to expand on his own viewpoint when challenged makes him deserving of the criticism and mocking that is aimed at him.

O'Rourke3
04-05-2020, 08:23 PM
Is this a BBC thing or available to all sports journalists.:faf: Surprised this went under the radar....

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Greenbeard
04-05-2020, 08:45 PM
I quite liked English when he first appeared in the scene as well. At a time When Jim Traynors phone in for bigoted morons was still fresh in the memory he made a pleasant change.

I didn't have any issue with his criticism of Hibs in his early day either. Much of it was justified, I remember him tearing strips of us after a defeat at Tynecastle and it was well deserved. In recent years though he has gone down the route of being intentionally contrary and inflammatory. It's just tedious and brings little to any discussion.

With regards to the current situation he is entitled to his opinion but his complete unwillingness to concede a single point, a real peeve of mine, and his refusal to expand on his own viewpoint when challenged makes him deserving of the criticism and mocking that is aimed at him.
When he first appeared on the tv scene doing rugby he had an excuse for being a T055ER with his know-it-all smarm 'cos he was seen as an outsider giving a different outsider's (ie Irish) view. My toes curled at someone like John Beattie fawning over him and his pontifications. Then all of a sudden he's chief sports writer for the BBC and all over the place - rugby, football whatever. His haranguing of Townsend this past while smacks of a personal grudge along the same lines as his clear dislike of Hibs.
MONGLE 5H1T (anag.)

givescotlandfreedom
05-05-2020, 10:10 PM
Has that **** ever been asked to account for the bile he spouted after the cup final?

Lying *******.

I ask him regularly on twitter but he doesn't seem keen to discuss it.

Treadstone
08-05-2020, 11:13 AM
English handed his arse again this time by Spiers.

https://twitter.com/GrahamSpiers/status/1258701397429833728?s=20

A Hi-Bee
08-05-2020, 03:01 PM
English handed his arse again this time by Spiers.

https://twitter.com/GrahamSpiers/status/1258701397429833728?s=20

Yes it has been interesting to see/hear what others think of Tam English, re-enforces my own thoughts on the imposter that we all pay good money to keep in a well paid job.
No two ways about it he is a slavering ****in skate.

supermcginn
08-05-2020, 03:33 PM
Yes it has been interesting to see/hear what others think of Tam English, re-enforces my own thoughts on the imposter that we all pay good money to keep in a well paid job.
No two ways about it he is a slavering ****in skate.
Hopefully he keeps digging an even bigger hole and ends up getting the bullet from the BBC. The biggest know it all, arrogant git I've heard on the radio for years.

CentreLine
08-05-2020, 03:52 PM
Hopefully he keeps digging an even bigger hole and ends up getting the bullet from the BBC. The biggest know it all, arrogant git I've heard on the radio for years.

It’s not been that long since Traynor left, has it?

Pretty Boy
08-05-2020, 03:54 PM
I actually almost feel sorry for him now. He's backed the wrong horse and it's too far gone for him to admit as much so he's just making an idiot of himself trying to keep his argument going.

We can all be guilty of that from time to time. On the other hand he shouldn't have gone in so deep in the 1st place without having a clue what Rangers were going to produce. I think there's more to this than meets the eye regarding English.

Billy Whizz
08-05-2020, 03:56 PM
I actually almost feel sorry for him now. He's backed the wrong horse and it's too far gone for him to admit as much so he's just making an idiot of himself trying to keep his argument going.

We can all be guilty of that from time to time. On the other hand he shouldn't have gone in so deep in the 1st place without having a clue what Rangers were going to produce. I think there's more to this than meets the eye regarding English.

He’ll be on the radio tomorrow afternoon on Sportsound, let’s see how humble he is

hibeerealist
08-05-2020, 04:02 PM

Hard to feel sorry for him he has backed to wrong uns, Sevco & Hertz and as a result is viewed as an e r s e.

Dashing Bob S
08-05-2020, 04:31 PM
He’s been a damn fool

supermcginn
08-05-2020, 04:43 PM
It’s not been that long since Traynor left, has it?

Not much in it between those two!

Aldo
08-05-2020, 05:02 PM
Let’s see what he has to spout about this latest news??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hhibs
08-05-2020, 06:24 PM
He’ll be on the radio tomorrow afternoon on Sportsound, let’s see how humble he is

Nope it will be JCB quality digging it deeper and piling it higher ,with a nod to a big boy done it and run away.

Brunswickbill
08-05-2020, 07:15 PM
All the Sportsound pundits have been stirring the pot. Michael Stewart was as bad as English to begin with but I think he saw the writing on the wall and has backed off. Thomson was like a wee laddie agreeing with the big boys. I think others on the programme have been on English’s side or have been scared to speak up. Willie Miller, for example has been remarkably quiet and there haven’t been any of the usual 300 word sentences. So in my view all involved in Sportsound have been pushing an anti SPFL Board line with English as the leader off. They have made no effort to have a balance of opinion and in the final event have been shown to be totally wrong. I think they started off driven by two story lines, sympathy for unfair relegation and the standard “SPFL bigwigs are bad.” They have pushed this no matter what the facts have shown to the point where they have nowhere to go as relegation will go ahead and all accusations against SPFL have been exposed as nonsense. Stewart jumped ship just in time but English will find it difficult to rescue himself. A bit of humble pie would help but I doubt that that’s in his nature.

Since452
08-05-2020, 07:22 PM
All the Sportsound pundits have been stirring the pot. Michael Stewart was as bad as English to begin with but I think he saw the writing on the wall and has backed off. Thomson was like a wee laddie agreeing with the big boys. I think others on the programme have been on English’s side or have been scared to speak up. Willie Miller, for example has been remarkably quiet and there haven’t been any of the usual 300 word sentences. So in my view all involved in Sportsound have been pushing an anti SPFL Board line with English as the leader off. They have made no effort to have a balance of opinion and in the final event have been shown to be totally wrong. I think they started off driven by two story lines, sympathy for unfair relegation and the standard “SPFL bigwigs are bad.” They have pushed this no matter what the facts have shown to the point where they have nowhere to go as relegation will go ahead and all accusations against SPFL have been exposed as nonsense. Stewart jumped ship just in time but English will find it difficult to rescue himself. A bit of humble pie would help but I doubt that that’s in his nature.

Tom English annoys me. He paints himself out to be the intellectual warrior poet of the Sportsound team and Scottish football journalism, able to disect the most complex story. In truth he's been left looking more clueless and desperate than the rest of them put together.

supershotmo
08-05-2020, 07:23 PM
Tom English has went AWOL

147lothian
09-05-2020, 12:37 AM
The Rangers making accusations without any proof, only a fool would pony upto this, step forward Tom English, I wonder if he realizes the damage he has done to his own reputation, his credibility as a commentator on Scottish football is now seriously damaged, I wonder if he will now try to retract his statements

GreenLake
09-05-2020, 12:59 AM
Tom English is to sports journalism what Eddie the Eagle is to the Olympics.

PatHead
09-05-2020, 08:55 AM
The Rangers making accusations without any proof, only a fool would pony upto this, step forward Tom English, I wonder if he realizes the damage he has done to his own reputation, his credibility as a commentator on Scottish football is now seriously damaged, I wonder if he will now try to retract his statements

All he wants is to be the man who got the BBC back into castle greyskull. Not interested in the truth and is only pandering to the Huns.

Jdawg
09-05-2020, 08:59 AM
He’s been a damn fool

As the saying goes, it’s better to say nothing to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Eyrie
09-05-2020, 09:53 AM
Tom English has went AWOL

He's currently trapped and won't be able to get out until Budge stands up.

09-05-2020, 10:05 AM
Tom English is to sports journalism what Eddie the Eagle is to the Olympics.

Eddie the Eagle was likeable.

Future17
09-05-2020, 10:23 AM

I think he fell into the trap of wanting it to be true.

09-05-2020, 10:28 AM
On yesterday's podcast TE discusses the £10m point. The figure was mentioned in a board document but wasn't in the communication to the clubs, he homes in on the fact that the communication to clubs didn't go to the board for approval.

I think it is right that the amount discussed shouldn't have gone any further because as has happened, it is now in the public domain. This has totally compromised the SPFL's position when it comes to any discussions with Sky as their hand has been shown and it could cost millions. I'm assuming this is the breach of confidentiality the SPFL's response referred to. That part never got a mention in Sportsound yesterday.

FilipinoHibs
09-05-2020, 10:31 AM

The English surname is of Anglo-Saxon/German origin. Just saying like

mcohibs
09-05-2020, 10:34 AM
I think he fell into the trap of wanting it to be true.

Not good enough for BBC Scotland's Chief Sports Writer. No excuse.

147lothian
09-05-2020, 03:22 PM
All he wants is to be the man who got the BBC back into castle greyskull. Not interested in the truth and is only pandering to the Huns.

I certainly agree with the part about him not being interested in the truth, because if he was surely he would have asked Stuart Robinson what is his evidence for bullying and corroption and why didn't he say something at the time rather than wait five days before the resolution comes before the EGM to make it public.

Not good from The BBC Scotland chief sports writer, IMO he's shouldn't be in his position for going along with tittle tattle and gossip rather than fact. This whole saga damages Tom English immensely.

09-05-2020, 04:05 PM
English has a cheek referring repeatedly to what Murdoch MacLennan wrote as a Q&A with himself when English's interview with Budge was effectively her Q&A with herself, if anything you could tell her answers had been coached. There were certainly no tough questions. A Jambo said she wasn't doing anymore live interviews after she was slated for the Celtic shouldn't get the title because they've not played the 38 games one.

Danderhall Hibs
09-05-2020, 05:26 PM
English has a cheek referring repeatedly to what Murdoch MacLennan wrote as a Q&A with himself when English's interview with Budge was effectively her Q&A with herself, if anything you could tell her answers had been coached. There were certainly no tough questions. A Jambo said she wasn't doing anymore live interviews after she was slated for the Celtic shouldn't get the title because they've not played the 38 games one.

That was getting a bit boring - I think someone must’ve laughed the first time he said it.

The SPFL should’ve called it an FAQ document or something to stop pedantry getting in the way.

Waxy
09-05-2020, 05:34 PM

All i can think of is the stance to go against the majority will get the majority attention= more listeners. More cack they talk the more comments they get.
Its a strange world.

mcohibs
09-05-2020, 06:20 PM
I still don't know who Ton Englisher is

mcohibs
09-05-2020, 06:22 PM
All i can think of is the stance to go against the majority will get the majority attention= more listeners. More cack they talk the more comments they get.
Its a strange world.

You'd think journalistic integrity would be their top priority

G B Young
12-05-2020, 04:54 PM
Sorry if posted on another thread, but this guy has lost the plot. Now attempting to create a narrative that today's vote wasn't decisive:

BBC Scotland chief sports writer Tom English
And so the spin begins. Twenty-seven votes against having an independent inquiry and 13 votes for; 64% of clubs against the investigation into the SPFL's corporate governance and 31% went in favour.
If you're Neil Doncaster and the SPFL board you're saying that enough clubs have spoken and this should be the end of the most divisive chapter in the history of the organisation. If you're on the other side you're pointing out that one third of the top flight want this examination to take place and that 40% of the First and Second Division clubs combined gave their backing to the inquiry.
Save for Inverness, the Championship was a wipeout for those who were calling for a probe into what went on or didn't go on. The numbers are there to be interpreted and fought over - and they will be. Nothing will change there. We now know the result but, in a sense, we don't know the endgame because it's highly improbable that the story ends here regardless of the SPFL board wanting that to be the case.
Rangers said at the weekend "this episode is far from finished". We await their next move. And their next statement. And the ones from different places that come in its wake. Seconds out. Round two.

Greenbeard
12-05-2020, 05:33 PM
Sorry if posted on another thread, but this guy has lost the plot. Now attempting to create a narrative that today's vote wasn't decisive:

BBC Scotland chief sports writer Tom English
And so the spin begins. Twenty-seven votes against having an independent inquiry and 13 votes for; 64% of clubs against the investigation into the SPFL's corporate governance and 31% went in favour.
If you're Neil Doncaster and the SPFL board you're saying that enough clubs have spoken and this should be the end of the most divisive chapter in the history of the organisation. If you're on the other side you're pointing out that one third of the top flight want this examination to take place and that 40% of the First and Second Division clubs combined gave their backing to the inquiry.
Save for Inverness, the Championship was a wipeout for those who were calling for a probe into what went on or didn't go on. The numbers are there to be interpreted and fought over - and they will be. Nothing will change there. We now know the result but, in a sense, we don't know the endgame because it's highly improbable that the story ends here regardless of the SPFL board wanting that to be the case.
Rangers said at the weekend "this episode is far from finished". We await their next move. And their next statement. And the ones from different places that come in its wake. Seconds out. Round two.

Basically what I said an hour ago, only more crudely, to the extent that my post got deleted by admins. What a rather disagreeable chap Mr English is.

12-05-2020, 05:42 PM

gaz1875
13-05-2020, 11:33 AM
I see that ****in blowbag is at it again stirring up the ****. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52646285 Someone needs to tell him to shut the **** up its him that's ruining the reputation of the game trolling up the same old **** time after time.

Aldo
13-05-2020, 11:43 AM
I see that ****in blowbag is at it again stirring up the ****. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52646285 Someone needs to tell him to shut the **** up its him that's ruining the reputation of the game trolling up the same old **** time after time.

What’s annoying me with him in all this is his continued ramblings about 31%. Yes it was 31% of clubs but not as many as 64% which in my calculations is double that (and some) of 64%.

He’s like a broken record.

Peevemor
13-05-2020, 11:44 AM
I see that ****in blowbag is at it again stirring up the ****. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52646285 Someone needs to tell him to shut the **** up its him that's ruining the reputation of the game trolling up the same old **** time after time.I got about 3 paragraphs in then started losing the will to live.

I'll be sending an email off to the BBC this afternoon to complain about the content and standard of his ramblings.

I encourage everyone else to do the same.

FilipinoHibs
13-05-2020, 11:49 AM
I got about 3 paragraphs in then started losing the will to live.

I'll be sending an email off to the BBC this afternoon to complain about the content and standard of his ramblings.

I am doing the same. Complaint to the broadcasting commission.

Since452
13-05-2020, 11:50 AM

Stopped reading after Barry Hearn

Andy74
13-05-2020, 11:51 AM
What’s annoying me with him in all this is his continued ramblings about 31%. Yes it was 31% of clubs but not as many as 64% which in my calculations is double that (and some) of 64%.

Most of those had some sort of impact such as relegation or not getting a play off spot influencing their vote. Some would also have been voting for an inquiry to positively move on rather than having concerns.

The time for all this questioning of governance is not in the middle of a crisis - if it is a big issue for members then come back to it when things have normalised.

Didn't mind English when he first came on the scene but he has absolutely ruined his reputation over this.

O'Rourke3
13-05-2020, 11:53 AM
Interesting. Happynenough to rehash the complaints, not so hapoy with the responses from other clubs to those accusations, especially Dunfermline vs ICT.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Booked4Being-Ugly
13-05-2020, 11:55 AM
The guys out of control now and he’s lost all credibility apart from those of the moronic gers and gerette persuasion.

Move on Tom, you’re just making a **** of yourself now!

Aldo
13-05-2020, 11:56 AM
Most of those had some sort of impact such as relegation or not getting a play off spot influencing their vote. Some would also have been voting for an inquiry to positively move on rather than having concerns.

The time for all this questioning of governance is not in the middle of a crisis - if it is a big issue for members then come back to it when things have normalised.

Didn't mind English when he first came on the scene but he has absolutely ruined his reputation over this.

The Stenhousemuir Chairman said that whilst he voted for an inquiry he will abide by the decision of the vote.

He did say though that once everything has settled that the governance should/could be looked at as there were a number of issues with it all.

As you have mentioned it can get looked at in due course but time is now to move on..... and RELEGATE HEARTS!

A Hi-Bee
13-05-2020, 12:04 PM

Never mind a lot on here do seem to know.
:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin:greengrin

A Hi-Bee
13-05-2020, 12:06 PM
The guys out of control now and he’s lost all credibility apart from those of the moronic gers and gerette persuasion.

Move on Tom, you’re just making a **** of yourself now!

We should look at finding a place for such an expert on all things Scottish Football wise.
:thumbsup:

13-05-2020, 12:10 PM

You can just tell he'll still be going on about it today when there are topics like Morton's revelation that ICT, Hearts and Rangers were conspiring to get null and void, which would have cost Scottish football millions so effectively trying to bring it to its knees, which they continued with the dossier and EGM charade.

I've just tweeted Sportsound and the presenters asking them to talk about it but you can tell it will be ignored. Bet a decent show like Superscoreboard will cover it though.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dave-mackinnon-astounding-inverness-behaviour-22017229

gaz1875
13-05-2020, 12:15 PM

He just doesn't get it. A number of the 13 clubs more than likely voted to put an end with an independent enquiry, not as support to the Hun Group of clubs.

Brunswickbill
13-05-2020, 12:27 PM

He’s scraping the barrel with his boxing allusions and his references to Barry Hearn. Tom English has been played by Sevco, Budge and Gardiner and he needs to face up to that. If he was a decent reporter at all he would be asking why the Championship clubs voted 9-1 to reject the Sevco resolution when much of the bullying claims came from that league, the only club supporting being at the heart of the refuted allegations. It’s clear that Inverness Caley Thistle and Gardiner in particular have been at it since the start with their agenda to declare the leagues null and void. A decent reporter would be seeking to expose what’s been going on. Instead he comes out with long winded drivel. If he he’s looking for something up it’s own arse he need only look in the nearest mirror. Apart from that I’m sure TEnglish is a fine fellow.

WhileTheChief..
13-05-2020, 12:31 PM

Will they listen to someone who lives in France and presumably doesn’t pay the license fee?!

Waxy
13-05-2020, 12:32 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMore than half the 13 where only for self interest leaving 6 clubs. 6 clubs out of 42. A smashing defeat.

Peevemor
13-05-2020, 12:34 PM
Will they listen to someone who lives in France and presumably doesn’t pay the license fee?!

They don't have to know that.

EI255
13-05-2020, 12:38 PM
I see he tried to stir things again after the SPFL clubs overturned any investigation. What gives him the right to do this? Guess it keeps his job busy (i.e. safe!)

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Ronniekirk
13-05-2020, 12:42 PM
I see he tried to stir things again after the SPFL clubs overturned any investigation. What gives him the right to do this? Guess it keeps his job busy (i.e. safe!)

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Maybe he is being Groomed to take over from Traynor in Charge if P R at Ibrox

Peevemor
13-05-2020, 12:42 PM
More than half the 13 where only for self interest leaving 6 clubs. 6 clubs out of 42. A smashing defeat.

He's also ignoring the likes of Aberdeen

We reiterate our belief that an independent inquiry is the only way of drawing a line under what has become a highly damaging episode for the whole of Scottish football...

...it is hard to see a resolution, far less a reconciliation, without some form of impartial and objective assessment of the many claims and counter-claims.

“Importantly, there will be the opportunity for the SPFL’s Chief Executive and Legal Advisor to be cleared of the serious allegations that have been made.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/05/11/club-statement-monday-11th-may/

gaz1875
13-05-2020, 12:44 PM
He's also ignoring the likes of Aberdeen

https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/05/11/club-statement-monday-11th-may/

And Lvingston probably, no idea why they went with the enquiry.

Aldo
13-05-2020, 01:05 PM
More than half the 13 where only for self interest leaving 6 clubs. 6 clubs out of 42. A smashing defeat.

Indeed but you reckon he will take all that into account?

It’s all very very tedious. Get that final nail hammered in and get them relegated so we can all have a chuckle.

Crazyhorse
13-05-2020, 01:21 PM
Tom English annoys me. He paints himself out to be the intellectual warrior poet of the Sportsound team and Scottish football journalism, able to disect the most complex story. In truth he's been left looking more clueless and desperate than the rest of them put together.

He has made the classic journalistic blunder of sacrificing credibility for access. He is increasingly exposed over this and all for a few titbits from Budge and being the confidante of that clown from ICT.
The majority of the clubs will have nothing to do with him after this and I would think the BBC will reflect on whether they should continue to employ a guy who is effectively the Hearts correspondent.

Coco Bryce
13-05-2020, 01:26 PM
Sportsound must have lost 1000s of listeners because of TE over the last few weeks.

You should see how much he's been ripped to shreds on Twitter by fans of most clubs over the last month or so.

He's a complete dick of a man. Nobody has an ounce of respect for him now.

G B Young
13-05-2020, 01:30 PM
'13 clubs is a fair old protest vote'.

It might be if there were only 30 clubs in Scotland but the fact is there are 42 and I really fail to see where English is trying to go with this. The vote was what would, in political terms, be described as overwhelming. Take for example the Brexit vote in Scotland where the leave vote wasn't far off 40%. Not an insignificant minority but as far as I know there isn't some self-important media pundit trying to pretend that the vote was in any way close. English's attempts to to so here are laughable.

Ann Budge, Rangers and Tom English. It's getting hard to decide which of them irritates me most with the endless crap they spout.

CropleyWasGod
13-05-2020, 01:36 PM
'13 clubs is a fair old protest vote'.

It might be if there were only 30 clubs in Scotland but the fact is there are 42 and I really fail to see where English is trying to go with this. The vote was what would, in political terms, be described as overwhelming. Take for example the Brexit vote in Scotland where the leave vote wasn't far off 40%. Not an insignificant minority but as far as I know there isn't some self-important media pundit trying to pretend that the vote was in any way close. English's attempts to to so here are laughable.

Ann Budge, Rangers and Tom English. It's getting hard to decide which of them irritates me most with the endless crap they spout.

He should be asking the 13 clubs why they voted for it.

I suspect it will be a mixture of those who don't like the current administration, and those who genuinely want the inquiry, just to settle things once and for all; ie to get any issues out there, and just deal with them. I have sympathy for those in the latter camp.

Once he gets an answer to that question, he's in a better position to make judgements.

G B Young
13-05-2020, 01:41 PM

It might be more accurate to say he tries to turn what are usually pretty straightforward stories into complex ones in an attempt to make it look like sports punditry is an intellectual pursuit. He's got a better turn of phrase than Ann Budge, but both will take every opportunity to use a thousand words when 100 will do.

Kato
13-05-2020, 01:44 PM
Once he gets an answer to that question, he's in a better position to make judgements.

He really only does closed questions so won't consider there might be a variety of reasons for those votes or allow it to be aired if he can help it. You can tell by his shouting over people on the show and the repeating of questions after he's been given perfectly reasonable answers. Asking for "Round 2" when the vote is done and dusted is just pathetic tub-thumping.

It's obvious he's just trying to keep the story going for the sake of his own job. He doesn't care about Scottish football one iota or for the damage he himself is doing to the sport in pushing the empty Huns/Hearts narrative along. Copy, that's all he's after. The thinner it gets the more outraged he pretends to be in the hope it generates "controversy".

13-05-2020, 01:45 PM
Sportsound must have lost 1000s of listeners because of TE over the last few weeks.

You should see how much he's been ripped to shreds on Twitter by fans of most clubs over the last month or so.

Maybe that's why the show during the week has been relegated to just a podcast.

Greenbeard
13-05-2020, 01:45 PM
If the EGM had been as one sided a boxing match the ref would have got pelters for letting it go the full distance.

Carheenlea
13-05-2020, 02:43 PM

Probably the opposite.

Having outlandish commentators who rile the listener can have them tuning in for more to hear what nonsense is being talked on future shows.
He’s having a bit of mare recently but still more listenable than the likes of “Doddsy”, Willie Miller or Neil McCann.

Coco Bryce
13-05-2020, 02:50 PM
Probably the opposite.

Having outlandish commentators who rile the listener can have them tuning in for more to hear what nonsense is being talked on future shows.
He’s having a bit of mare recently but still more listenable than the likes of “Doddsy”, Willie Miller or Neil McCann.

Nah believe me it's backfired big time on him and the BBC. Sportsound twitter is full of posts from people refusing to listen until he is punted from the show. Mostly Celtic fans seem to be boycotting it right enough, I would imagine that is a very large percentage of their audience.

Joe6-2
13-05-2020, 03:00 PM
FFS!

No they weren't.

Has he retracted that statement after saying Petrie should his comment on exuberance?
Utter phanny

JimBHibees
13-05-2020, 03:04 PM
He has made the classic journalistic blunder of sacrificing credibility for access. He is increasingly exposed over this and all for a few titbits from Budge and being the confidante of that clown from ICT.
The majority of the clubs will have nothing to do with him after this and I would think the BBC will reflect on whether they should continue to employ a guy who is effectively the Hearts correspondent.

Agree totally compromised his position imo. Total lack of balance Broadfoot yesterday was saying the sorts of things the chief sports editor of the national broadcaster should have been saying in terms of talking the game up and looking for solutions through the crises. Tom was howling at the moan in comparison.

JimBHibees
13-05-2020, 03:08 PM

Absolutely spot on. MacLennan probably didn't trust English to publish what he said accurately hence the QA approach.

SMAXXA
13-05-2020, 04:33 PM

Good the more people the better as he’s an absolute idiot and bringing our game down more than any other seemingly impartial journalist

jacomo
13-05-2020, 05:27 PM
Agree totally compromised his position imo. Total lack of balance Broadfoot yesterday was saying the sorts of things the chief sports editor of the national broadcaster should have been saying in terms of talking the game up and looking for solutions through the crises. Tom was howling at the moan in comparison.

:agree:

TE is not a pundit or tabloid journo who is there to add a bit of spice. He is, allegedly, BBC Scotland’s chief sports writer, and his blatantly partisan approach is way out of order.

His criticism of others for not having ‘an open mind’ shows either a massive lack of judgement or blatant bias. He needs to go.

Waxy
13-05-2020, 05:30 PM
The next Jim Traynor?

LeithMike
13-05-2020, 05:36 PM
You do have to wonder about Tom English's impartiality. While this certainly could be about poor governance by the SPFL there is also the possibility that it's more of a civil war and the "significant minority" are actually more aggrieved about the decision to call the league. Given its Rangers (who look to want the season voided) and Hearts (who also wantd the season voided - ar least in terms of relegation) then the latter looks far more likely.

While I think its correct for a journalist to question the motives of the SPFL/majority of clubs I also think a journalist must act with balance and question the motives of all sides. I cant see this having been done by Tom English and he unquestioningly is arguing for the minority - particularly the lines taken by Anne Budge. That is really poor journalism in my view. It's the same that happened with David Murray and Craig White and look at the mess that created.

Alan Preston also took Anne Budge at her word when she said she would be seeking reconstruction if Hearts weren't going to be relegated and had a go at Chic Young when he questioned this. Surely people can see that Anne Budge is completely conflicted and cannot take a neutral view.

The situation is a mess but not surprisingly and there is no easy solution. I would have preferred the season to be finished if at all possible but it looks like the SPFL have come to a decision that the majority of clubs want (even it is unfair or harsh on some) and is the best fit with the rules that apply.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

truehibernian
13-05-2020, 05:43 PM
He waxed lyrical about Celtic's failed enquiry into the SFA in 2017 - without really looking at the make up of said 2017 board. Hardly surprising the lack of support for Celtic given their (SFA) leanings :cb just saying :aok: check the nick of a certain coupon when he handed SDG the cup in 2016 :agree:

One day TE will become a journalist again......now, he's just an opinion like every other fan.

It's quite funny seeing the usual clubs and suspects lodging complaints :greengrin

13-05-2020, 08:41 PM
He waxed lyrical about Celtic's failed enquiry into the SFA in 2017 - without really looking at the make up of said 2017 board. Hardly surprising the lack of support for Celtic given their (SFA) leanings :cb just saying :aok: check the nick of a certain coupon when he handed SDG the cup in 2016 :agree:

One day TE will become a journalist again......now, he's just an opinion like every other fan.

It's quite funny seeing the usual clubs and suspects lodging complaints :greengrin

That bit was the most interesting part of the show, how Neil Doncaster supported Celtic's proposed inquiry into EBTs and Rangers in the run up to liquidation. I hadn't realised ND supported it. Of course that has nothing to do with Rangers now saying he should be suspended and going after him the way they have.

cabbageandribs1875
13-05-2020, 09:03 PM
Probably the opposite.

i much prefer listenening to an ex-footballer that had a medal-laden football career(miller) than a slavering erse of a man that has played his part in trying to bring scottish football to it's knees, a man that probably couldn't kick a football further than his ego(english)

i agree with your comments re bbc sportsound probably loving the controversy that english/stewart has drummed up, but i think the producers/whoever should be ashamed with the part they've played in regards to the lack of balance they've encorouged

RoYO!
13-05-2020, 09:15 PM
Used to have a lot of time for him..

But he's hurting and it's really clouding his judgement as well as his writing.

News flash. The vast, vast majority of football fans in Scotland are not outraged. There is a very small minority bashing as many pans, making as much noise as possible... and yet the fact remains... action needed to be taken, sporting integrity means winners and losers and most are satisfied that this is the best outcome from a bad situation.

Danderhall Hibs
13-05-2020, 09:25 PM
i much prefer listenening to an ex-footballer that had a medal-laden football career(miller) than a slavering erse of a man that has played his part in trying to bring scottish football to it's knees, a man that probably couldn't kick a football further than his ego(english)

i agree with your comments re bbc sportsound probably loving the controversy that english/stewart has drummed up, but i think the producers/whoever should be ashamed with the part they've played in regards to the lack of balance they've encorouged

Nah, give me English over Miller any day. Miller’s still trying to add 2+2 and get that Partick have been relegated.

Same goes for Dodds, Bonner, Preston - all hopeless. I’d rather listen to someone I sometimes disagree with than ex players that are clueless.

The 90+2
13-05-2020, 09:28 PM
Nah, give me English over Miller any day. Miller’s still trying to add 2+2 and get that Partick have been relegated.

Same goes for Dodds, Bonner, Preston - all hopeless. I’d rather listen to someone I sometimes disagree with than ex players that are clueless.

:greengrin

The Harp Awakes
13-05-2020, 09:47 PM
What doesn't add up in this storm in a teacup, is the behaviour of Tom English and Scot Gardiner of ICT.

I get Partick's, Stranraer's, Falkirk's and even to an extent Hearts' outrage, as they have something to lose over calling the league 'as is'. The Rangers faux outrage is best ignored as it is just to appease their fans.

English's and Gardiner's obsession though is noteworthy as there is no obvious reason for it. I've said this before on other threads, but I think there is a very good chance they are both being given incentives by a Club or Clubs to continually stir things up. There is no way Gardiner's behaviour is doing ICT any favours and he in particular needs called out. I hope the SPFL go for him.

Scottie
18-05-2020, 05:33 PM
All quiet on the Ton Englisher front today. Is he in hiding :dunno:

ScottB
18-05-2020, 05:37 PM
Nah believe me it's backfired big time on him and the BBC. Sportsound twitter is full of posts from people refusing to listen until he is punted from the show. Mostly Celtic fans seem to be boycotting it right enough, I would imagine that is a very large percentage of their audience.

I had been listening to the podcasts but had enough, mixture of it being embarrassing and annoying really. It was when he was basically accusing the SPFL of lying because he couldn’t accepted that the great businesswoman Budge would have got something wrong.

Compare it to the English one with Mark Chapman and co and it’s just pitiful content.

18-05-2020, 05:41 PM
I had been listening to the podcasts but had enough, mixture of it being embarrassing and annoying really. It was when he was basically accusing the SPFL of lying because he couldn’t accepted that the great businesswoman Budge would have got something wrong.

Compare it to the English one with Mark Chapman and co and it’s just pitiful content.

Lots of greeting Rangers fans on Superscoreboard at the the moment. Coming up later, squealing Hearts fans.

Carheenlea
18-05-2020, 09:44 PM

I probably shouldn’t be admitting this, but I don’t really mind Alan Preston.

cabbageandribs1875
18-05-2020, 09:47 PM
mostly enjoyed the podcast tonight without english and mikey stewart

cabbageandribs1875
18-05-2020, 09:50 PM

agree re the slaver dodds, and "chance" preston :)

WhileTheChief..
19-05-2020, 12:38 PM
His review of the season...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52707152

Be warned, he gives his opinion in this. Maybe not for the feint hearted or the easily offended :wink:

jacomo
19-05-2020, 01:19 PM

Be warned, he gives his opinion in this. Maybe not for the feint hearted or the easily offended :wink:

Get over it. No one is crying.

The more important question is, why do you accept this dross?

I honestly think a lot of football fans in Scotland have Stockholm syndrome.

You’ve got so used to pitiful coverage of our game that you’ve come to like it.

Tug Wilson
19-05-2020, 01:21 PM

To be fair there is not much to disagree with in this article.

Hibs were going nowhere under Heckingbottom and Jack Ross steadied the ship without being spectacular.

No argument from me.

He really goes to town on how poor Hearts have been. Almost as if he agrees that they deserve relegation.

WhileTheChief..
19-05-2020, 02:22 PM
Get over it. No one is crying.

The more important question is, why do you accept this dross?

I honestly think a lot of football fans in Scotland have Stockholm syndrome.

You’ve got so used to pitiful coverage of our game that you’ve come to like it.

Crikey, did you miss the smiley?!

I think it’s a decent read.

jacomo
19-05-2020, 03:11 PM
Crikey, did you miss the smiley?!

I think it’s a decent read.

It’s not bad, but he’s still coming across like a petulant wee brat.

Whingeing that it’s all so unfair should be beneath him. To me, in these exceptional circumstances, relegating Hearts is the least unfair option.

Scottish football is not short of opinions. What would be nice is some authoritative and balanced reporting.

cocteautwin
20-05-2020, 01:59 AM
It's a pretty fair assessment to be honest:

"But if the SPFL's hugely controversial resolution was the thing that pushed them over the edge it was their own wretched decision-making that brought them to the edge in the first place.

Hearts won four league games this season and only six in the last 12 months. You could cover their pitch with £500 notes and still need more grass to symbolise their wastefulness. Millions were spent on duds and now more millions will be lost because of their ejection from the Premiership. Their failure has been an epic one."

lapsedhibee
20-05-2020, 09:45 AM
It's a pretty fair assessment to be honest:

"But if the SPFL's hugely controversial resolution was the thing that pushed them over the edge it was their own wretched decision-making that brought them to the edge in the first place.

Hearts won four league games this season and only six in the last 12 months. You could cover their pitch with £500 notes and still need more grass to symbolise their wastefulness. Millions were spent on duds and now more millions will be lost because of their ejection from the Premiership. Their failure has been an epic one."

£500 notes, wtf?

Would they be notes that Romanov printed himself? :dunno:

(£500 notes haven't been available since WW2.)

tamig
21-05-2020, 09:47 PM
£500 notes, wtf?

Would they be notes that Romanov printed himself? :dunno:

(£500 notes haven't been available since WW2.)

You never heard of the maroon pound?

GRA
29-04-2022, 07:43 AM
Look at this muppet going on about the herculean effort of brave Sevco and the 'victory' of their 1-0 defeat last night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61266884

Keeps going on about the cost disparity between Sevco and Leipzig. Seldom hear that when Sevco spend the same signing one player as the rest of the Scottish teams (except Celtic) put together do in multiple seasons.

Bostonhibby
29-04-2022, 07:45 AM
Mrs Doctor Budge's Butler?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Greenbeard
29-04-2022, 08:49 AM
Look at this muppet going on about the herculean effort of brave Sevco and the 'victory' of their 1-0 defeat last night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61266884

Keeps going on about the cost disparity between Sevco and Leipzig. Seldom hear that when Sevco spend the same signing one player as the rest of the Scottish teams (except Celtic) put together do in multiple seasons.
No thanks. Gave up reading his know-it-all spewings ages ago and the radio gets switched over or off as soon as I hear he is on the programme, or on hearing his first utterance if I didn't know he was on. Can't understand other presenters fawning over his every word as if he is some sort of world-leading fount of sporting knowledge when he is just an absolute bell-end. Actually I take that back as it's an insult to male genitalia.

James70
29-04-2022, 09:27 AM
He's not had a good word to say about Hibs since 2016. Same as most other BBC pundits, totally biased.

buktapurple79
30-04-2022, 10:32 AM
The boy is bizarre, an Irishman who loves the Yams and seems to have a vendetta against Hibernian.

sunshinejim
30-04-2022, 12:16 PM
The boy is bizarre, an Irishman who loves the Yams and seems to have a vendetta against Hibernian.

Highly likely that these attributes are exactly what Allan Preston's BBC Scotland Football Unit look for when sifting through potential candidates. Its more or less a closed shop with zero Hibs voices on sport-sound et al. Its been heading in that direction for years now with it getting increasing worse and not better. Completely unrepresentative of Scottish football and only interested in spouting their own bias mainly Hearts positive orientated and a huge dose of anti Hibernian.

Coco Bryce
30-04-2022, 01:25 PM
Absolute walloper. Rugby man who's jump on the football bandwagon just to get some recognition.

A Hi-Bee
30-04-2022, 01:29 PM
Just shows how bad the Scottish media and Journo's are when this walloper can move in, and gets to spout his drivel while being well paid for it.

ekhibee
30-04-2022, 03:01 PM
Highly likely that these attributes are exactly what Allan Preston's BBC Scotland Football Unit look for when sifting through potential candidates. Its more or less a closed shop with zero Hibs voices on sport-sound et al. Its been heading in that direction for years now with it getting increasing worse and not better. Completely unrepresentative of Scottish football and only interested in spouting their own bias mainly Hearts positive orientated and a huge dose of anti Hibernian.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

gbhibby
01-05-2022, 07:35 PM
https://twitter.com/SeanLee84/status/1520818395461128192?t=Y1qqRdSo3F9UBCyLSpKu9A&s=19
Thought this was quite good picture taken of The Rangers fans with UVF flag

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

The dalmeny
01-05-2022, 08:05 PM
May have been mentioned, did use the ‘we’ word when talking about the rangers today

tamig
01-05-2022, 10:38 PM
https://twitter.com/SeanLee84/status/1520818395461128192?t=Y1qqRdSo3F9UBCyLSpKu9A&s=19
Thought this was quite good picture taken of The Rangers fans with UVF flag

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Jack Duckworth is a much better shout 😀