PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Jim Herriot-talks about Hibs and Throw ins

A Hi-Bee
02-05-2020, 01:29 PM
Good article in the Scotsman as Hibs old keeper talks about his time with the Tornadoes and lots of other interesting stuff. His take on throw ins and modern coaches is interesting-

"But – and there’s a big but. The Tornadoes could have achieved more. “Eddie was my greatest coach. Nowadays I see Scott Brown regarded as a superstar, but for what? He passes the ball sideways! If that happened three times when Hibs trained, Eddie stopped the session. I see players taking throw-ins not knowing what to do, these modern coaches just as clueless. At Hibs every shy was worked out. We could start an attack from one right down at our corner-flag. But Eddie broke up that side too soon. He was a better coach than Jock but Jock was better at handling players. Eddie was nearly always falling out with someone and bore a grudge.”

Phil MaGlass
03-05-2020, 08:21 AM
hopefully the players are practicing their throw ins at home, :greengrin

03-05-2020, 11:31 AM
hopefully the players are practicing their throw ins at home, :greengrin

What, by staying in one place and doing nothing? :cb

Seveno
03-05-2020, 05:32 PM
There is no excuse for a club of our standing to be so consistently poor at such a basic part of the game.

Earlydelivery
03-05-2020, 05:59 PM
He’s spot on we should have got at least 1 title over the line ‘ and he did break the tornadoes up too soon

superfurryhibby
03-05-2020, 07:30 PM
Jim Herriot is right that the modern game is very risk averse. I've been watching a lot of 60's and 70's football recently. The emphasis was very much on attacking play. Players were always pressing forward, more willing to take a man on and drive on. That said the standard is sometimes very variable. Watched the full match from Wembley 67 and was struck by how poor a lot of passing was on both sides, even Baxter had a good few stray ones (Charlton, what a player, was probably the exception).

As for Turnbull, one of the greatest Hibernians ever, no question about it, but he was very singled minded and maybe even more desperate to succeed at Hibs than he had been at Aberdeen, hence his autocratic management style?

Jim Herriot
03-05-2020, 09:44 PM
An interesting read. Wonder if any keepers still use the "mud under the eyes" trick, or anything similar?

(As I've used his name as my username here, it's reassuring to know that he's still in good form.)

MWHIBBIES
03-05-2020, 11:01 PM
Jim Herriot is right that the modern game is very risk averse. I've been watching a lot of 60's and 70's football recently. The emphasis was very much on attacking play. Players were always pressing forward, more willing to take a man on and drive on. That said the standard is sometimes very variable. Watched the full match from Wembley 67 and was struck by how poor a lot of passing was on both sides, even Baxter had a good few stray ones (Charlton, what a player, was probably the exception).

As for Turnbull, one of the greatest Hibernians ever, no question about it, but he was very singled minded and maybe even more desperate to succeed at Hibs than he had been at Aberdeen, hence his autocratic management style?

It has just evolved so much tactically. Players are fitter, faster, stronger and tactically much more aware. It's only natural it's harder to score goals. Defending and pressing is also league's ahead of the 70s.

Shrekko
03-05-2020, 11:54 PM
Good article in the Scotsman as Hibs old keeper talks about his time with the Tornadoes and lots of other interesting stuff. His take on throw ins and modern coaches is interesting-

"But – and there’s a big but. The Tornadoes could have achieved more. “Eddie was my greatest coach. Nowadays I see Scott Brown regarded as a superstar, but for what? He passes the ball sideways! If that happened three times when Hibs trained, Eddie stopped the session. I see players taking throw-ins not knowing what to do, these modern coaches just as clueless. At Hibs every shy was worked out. We could start an attack from one right down at our corner-flag. But Eddie broke up that side too soon. He was a better coach than Jock but Jock was better at handling players. Eddie was nearly always falling out with someone and bore a grudge.”

Sorry, but I think it's total claptrap from an old timer using the "so much better back in our day" mantra. Comparing era's is just pointless for so many reasons.

To suggest Scott Brown is overhyped on the basis of just being able to pass the ball sideways is (lets be honest here) pretty ignorant and shows a lack of knowledge of the modern game.

Eddie Turnbull was said to be ahead of his time tactically but his era was light years away from the in depth scrutiny we see these days with whole teams of coach's etc., going over things in such fine detail. Watch any game from the 70's and you see plenty attacking flair but you also see lots of mistakes, woeful defending and a game played at a very slow pace with players being given acres of space on the ball.

Hibs are poor at the throw in's, but its ridiculous to say coach's are clueless because we and lots of other teams struggle with them. Maybe the opposition coach's are making it difficult with well drilled players who press hard, mark tight and deny space?