PDA

View Full Version : Annual Albert Kidd Day -3rd May

Sproule Three
02-05-2020, 12:58 AM
Might as well are weekend of it.
From the archives a pic of the great man receiving his belated Aus Hibs Supporters POTY award from Hibs Net member Forza Fred.
This was taken in Melbourne in 2003. Sir Albert lives in Adelaide nowadays.
AK86. He saved us all from significant pain

cocteautwin
02-05-2020, 02:52 AM
Might as well are weekend of it.
From the archives a pic of the great man receiving his belated Aus Hibs Supporters POTY award from Hibs Net member Forza Fred.
This was taken in Melbourne in 2003. Sir Albert lives in Adelaide nowadays.
AK86. He saved us all from significant pain

Nice. I remember the weekend well as an 18 year old. Went camping with some mates to get away from the event and drink heavily. Little did we know that it would be celebration drinking later that evening rather than sorrow drowning.

Sammy7nil
02-05-2020, 06:52 AM
What was going to be a bad weekend turned out to be right good fun. God bless Bobby Ball

ben johnson
02-05-2020, 06:56 AM
A good friend at the time was a big Hearts fan
I bought a rather large Dundee cake out of Jenner’s and wrapped it in green and white shiny wrapping paper
When I dropped it off at his work he was still out working
When he returned there was about 5 guys who worked there who were curious as to what was in the package
As he opened it , in front of the audience, there was a Sorry for your loss funeral card with the written message Try and eat something before the Cup Final on Saturday as you won’t want to eat after it
They all stood there eating Dundee cake and laughing
And come Saturday the prophesy came true

Hibs4185
02-05-2020, 07:31 AM
Is there any full match highlights on YouTube or anything? Would love to see the tears at the end

Since452
02-05-2020, 07:34 AM
Thank **** for Albert Kidd. Would have been worse than England and 1966 or the Lisbon Lions. Every year having a league and cup winners reminder. Boke. Thanks Albert.

sauzee=legend
02-05-2020, 07:38 AM
Albert Kidd Day, followed by Sir David’s birthday on May 4th....
Could work out any better!!

02-05-2020, 07:51 AM
Also known as Sandy Clark Still Not Over It Day.

Since452
02-05-2020, 07:57 AM
Also known as Sandy Clark Still Not Over It Day.

He'll be rocking in a dark room somewhere this weekend

hibby6270
02-05-2020, 11:53 AM
Is there any full match highlights on YouTube or anything? Would love to see the tears at the end

Not sure about full match highlights but there are a few edited highlight videos on YouTube.
Also the Sportsound radio commentary by the legendary David Francey is a great listen.(on YT also)

Sproule Three
02-05-2020, 12:35 PM

https://youtu.be/iTEgsQz-Muw

the radio commentary is outstanding

Pretty Boy
02-05-2020, 12:43 PM
Is it true that, due to a confusion between Albert and Walter, the vidiprinter initially read:

Goal - Dundee 0 Hearts 1 (Kidd)

It may be a myth but the thought of that crushing realisation when the correction popped up makes me chuckle.

WhileTheChief..
02-05-2020, 01:05 PM
Sportsound discussing it later today :greengrin

DarlingtonHibee
02-05-2020, 01:06 PM
Review on sportsound later 😂

Jim44
02-05-2020, 01:07 PM
‘That’ weekend nightmare for Hearts is one of the archive matches to feature on Sportsound this afternoon.

weecounty hibby
02-05-2020, 01:31 PM
Is it true that, due to a confusion between Albert and Walter, the vidiprinter initially read:

It may be a myth but the thought of that crushing realisation when the correction popped up makes me chuckle.

Dunno about that but definitely at the Hibs game that day we at first thought it was that way. Not many folk had radios around us and someone said Kidd had scored. ****ing total depression for a few seconds until we looked over to the old North stand and it was in total uproar. Cue wild celebrations in the East. A great end to the season. Was very very drunk that night

scm70nyd1973
02-05-2020, 08:16 PM

Not sure but even better- my recollection is that it was announced at Ibrox that Kidd had opened the scoring at Dens. As Kidd played for Hearts and, if I recall rightly, SAK had been out injured for months and this was one of his first games back, they thought the Poppy Thieves had scored and so went nuts - the rest , as they say , was history 😂

AFKA5814_Hibs
02-05-2020, 09:32 PM
One of my unusual memories of this day was after watching the Sportsene highlights of the match, directly after Sportcene on BBC1 that day was the relatively unknown film FM, about an american radio station. The title music was performed by one of my favourite groups from the 70s Steely Dan, funny enough a username I used on Kickback for many years. 😄

I was at the Hibs game that day against Dundee Utd, and remember being huddled round a wireless on the East terracing listening to the end of the Hertz game, not giving a **** that United scored against Hibs in that last 10 minutes, but funny enough my main memory of that day was watching a crap 70s movie on BBC1 after Albert Kidds double. 😄

gbhibby
02-05-2020, 10:45 PM
Hearts song at the end of that season We're forever blowing doubles.

Since452
02-05-2020, 10:51 PM
Who'd have thought 24 years later they'd still be the laughing stock of Scottish football

G B Young
02-05-2020, 11:02 PM
Amid the hilarity it's easy to overlook what a bloody brilliant goal Albert's second one was!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HDtmgVY9q0

Phil MaGlass
03-05-2020, 08:02 AM
Bedlam all round at ER, some auld guy with a walking stick picked me up and started hugging me utter bedlam, great night afterwards up toon.

Since452
03-05-2020, 08:16 AM
Bedlam all round at ER, some auld guy with a walking stick picked me up and started hugging me utter bedlam, great night afterwards up toon.

Does any footage of that exist? My old man said it was the biggest cheer at Easter Road all season

Phil MaGlass
03-05-2020, 08:22 AM
there is footage of the game somewhere

Hibeesforever
03-05-2020, 08:27 AM
Amid the hilarity it's easy to overlook what a bloody brilliant goal Albert's second one was!

That was great viewing, loved hearing the half-time announcement to Hearts fans not to go on the pitch when they won at the end of the game...hilarious...Kidd's second goal is a thing of beauty.

McSwanky
03-05-2020, 08:42 AM
That was great viewing, loved hearing the half-time announcement to Hearts fans not to go on the pitch when they won at the end of the game...hilarious...Kidd's second goal is a thing of beauty.The second goal isn't dissimilar to Latapy's in the 6-2 game. Both very enjoyable too!

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

McSwanky
03-05-2020, 08:50 AM
That day, that season. It's almost as if "Hibsing it" was invented by them...

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Onceinawhile
03-05-2020, 08:54 AM
Having a 27 game unbeaten run ended when you only need to draw to win the league 😂😂💔💔

Bishop Hibee
03-05-2020, 08:54 AM
I was on the East Terracing that day. MartinfaePorty had a football shaped portable radio, Green and white panels of course, that he brought to the game. Massive celebration at both goals. The only time I’ve ever heard Hibs fans chant the name of another team.

Keith_M
03-05-2020, 08:55 AM
A happy Albert Kidd Day to you all.

:aok:

Keith_M
03-05-2020, 08:57 AM
I was on the East Terracing that day. MartinfaePorty had a football shaped portable radio, Green and white panels of course, that he brought to the game. Massive celebration at both goals. The only time I’ve ever heard Hibs fans chant the name of another team.

We chanted both 'Celtic, Celtic' and 'Dundee, Dundee'... which must have seemed a bit weird to the United Fans in the Dunbar End.

PatHead
03-05-2020, 09:08 AM
Happy Albert Kidd day everyone.

ACLeith
03-05-2020, 09:17 AM
IIRC the first goal was scored as we took a throw in. My 8 year old son turned and asked why the throw was special!

We’d had a poor season, lost the game but the players got a standing ovation at the end👏

G B Young
03-05-2020, 09:25 AM
How come today's BBC Scotland focus on the game doesn't feature any highlights?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36186819

It's not as though they don't have access to the footage.

Also noticeable that the first thing mentioned is the supposed virus 'sweeping' the Hearts squad.

They then follow up with a section on how 'conspiracy theories abound to this day'. Em, no they don't - and never did, except among sad yam straw clutchers.

Apart from that happy Albert Kidd day everyone :flag:

scm70nyd1973
03-05-2020, 09:25 AM

I was in the east and in the middle under the TV gantry where the Glasgow Hibs supporters used to meet. Guy in front of me had a tranny and had his back to the game for most of the second half. Coz there was hardly anyone there the celebrations for the first goal were mental - I seem to recall that we were making our way out when the second one went in. DUFC scored late on (Beedie) and I remember we celebrated that - we would have celebrated a kettle boiling that day 😂

Trivia question is which Hibs player scored the last goal of the season at Easter Road in 85/86 and who also scored the first in the opening game of the 86/87 season - Beedie for DUFC then for Hibs v Huns

Kato
03-05-2020, 09:31 AM
How come today's BBC Scotland focus on the game doesn't feature any highlights?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36186819

It's not as though they don't have access to the footage.

Also noticeable that the first thing mentioned is the supposed virus 'sweeping' the Hearts squad.

They then follow up with a section on how 'conspiracy theories abound to this day'. Em, no they don't - and never did, except among sad yam straw clutchers.

Apart from that happy Albert Kidd day everyone :flag:Virus Schmirus.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

DaveF
03-05-2020, 09:32 AM
Managed to hearts it even with and Edinburgh jambo referring the match.

The ultimate fail.

I sincerely hope Sandy Clark is having an extra ***** day 😁

Keith_M
03-05-2020, 09:37 AM
Guardian article (https://www.theguardian.com/football/that-1980s-sports-blog/2015/may/01/albert-kidd-day-hearts-dundee-hibs-celtic-1986) on Albert Kidd Day, from 2015

Siralbertkidd
03-05-2020, 09:48 AM
Most enjoyable :greengrin

Garymcl
03-05-2020, 09:49 AM
Happy Sir Albert Kidd Day to all hibbys don’t let them forget its tradition for me to watch highlights of that day bottle of beer in my hand with a huge smile on my face :greengrin:greengrin

ABZHFC
03-05-2020, 09:55 AM
Happy Albert Kidd Day one and all. God bless that man.

For my sins, I once was seeing a woman who has a Hearts-supporting mum, who was at Dens that day. After a few sherries, I asked her once if she'd retell her experiences of that day, which she kindly did. I was doubled-over laughing, and when she then started talking about the cup final at Hampden a week later, I practically wet myself.

No such luck :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

bringbackbenny
03-05-2020, 10:00 AM

1) Pathetic pitch invasion after the 2nd trying to get the game abandoned
2) a bigger but still pathetic pile on the pitch after the game, they all slouch off pretty soon after with heads hung low
3) I love the wee Bobby Ball dude 🤣😀

Peevemor
03-05-2020, 10:29 AM
I was in the east and in the middle under the TV gantry where the Glasgow Hibs supporters used to meet. Guy in front of me had a tranny and had his back to the game for most of the second half. Coz there was hardly anyone there the celebrations for the first goal were mental - I seem to recall that we were making our way out when the second one went in. DUFC scored late on (Beedie) and I remember we celebrated that - we would have celebrated a kettle boiling that day [emoji23]

Trivia question is which Hibs player scored the last goal of the season at Easter Road in 85/86 and who also scored the first in the opening game of the 86/87 season - Beedie for DUFC then for Hibs v HunsI remember everyone cheering Dundee Utd's goal.

Pretty Boy
03-05-2020, 10:37 AM

I think John Colqhoun is an under appreciated hero in this drama. A 2 on 1 break at 0-0, Robertson in acres of space, slips him in and he probably scores. Instead JC sees his name in lights, tries to go it alone and is easily brushed off the ball. Incidentally it's a certain Mr A Kidd who makes knocks the ball back to the keeper and out of harms way.

Billy Whizz
03-05-2020, 10:45 AM
Maybe we should go back to a 10 team league, looked very competitive that season

Monktonhall 7
03-05-2020, 10:45 AM
I was living in a flat on ER just across from the Coopers Rest back in 86. I remember my first thought on waking up on the Saturday morning having the dread that this was the day they were going to win the league. We sat in the Coopers for the first half of our game in a bit of depression, then walked up to the stadium at half time. We all had East Terracing STs, but they would only let us in if we went into the main stand. We sat in the Centre stand, I think there was less than 5k at the match, and listened to a guy in fronts radio. When the first Dundee goal went in, ER went mental. It turned from one of the most depressing days of my life to one of the best. Had a great night in the Coopers then up to Tamsons for a lock in. Fantastic memories.

Waxy
03-05-2020, 10:53 AM
Happy Albert Kidd day everyone.
I can still remember things clearly from that day.
Was at the Utd game and everyone was going nuts.
Remember silly things too about after the game.

erin go bragh
03-05-2020, 10:58 AM
Not a peep over on keek back about it 😉 34 years and it still cuts them deep .
Saint Albert take a bow son 🍻

Billy Whizz
03-05-2020, 11:01 AM
Thought Levein played that day.....

DaveF
03-05-2020, 11:05 AM
I think John Colqhoun is an under appreciated hero in this drama. A 2 on 1 break at 0-0, Robertson in acres of space, slips him in and he probably scores. Instead JC sees his name in lights, tries to go it alone and is easily brushed off the ball. Incidentally it's a certain Mr A Kidd who makes knocks the ball back to the keeper and out of harms way.

Also amazed he didn't fall over the keeper early in the 2nd half when he broke through. Oh, the whatifs 😁

Peevemor
03-05-2020, 11:15 AM
I was out in a crowd of about 20 that night, mostly Jambos (I was brought up in Kingsknowe/Longstone).

There was 3-4 hibees there though and, without rubbing it in too much (they were really hurting) we had a ball to ourselves.

To top it all off I ended up "bagging-off" (remember that?) with one of the Jambo's sisters - he wasn't chuffed.

AltheHibby
03-05-2020, 11:22 AM
I lived in Glasgow at the time and had spent an unhappy afternoon shopping with Mrs Al. As we walked through Central Station sometime after 5 we heard a loud chant on the concourse. Asked a Celtc supporter what happened and the day turned around. :greengrin

GreenCastle
03-05-2020, 11:25 AM
Trending on Twitter in the U.K. !!

Yes - let’s raise awareness!

SouthMoroccoStu
03-05-2020, 11:26 AM
Did hearts release a single?

GreenCastle
03-05-2020, 11:29 AM

Unbelievable 2nd goal.

ABZHFC
03-05-2020, 12:09 PM
A genuine post from a Jambo on Facebook under BBC Scotland's video of the day itself:

'Yes I was there , it was heartbreaking but we didn't know then we would go on to win 3 Scottish cups , so it's swings and roundabouts'

I mean honestly, **** me

G B Young
03-05-2020, 12:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcOy2Fewafo

The Green Sea
03-05-2020, 12:35 PM
I remember everyone cheering Dundee Utd's goal.

Yes that was my abiding memory. The United players started celebrating then the 4,500 Hibs fans melted. They looked really confused.

Baldy Foghorn
03-05-2020, 12:38 PM
I was out in a crowd of about 20 that night, mostly Jambos (I was brought up in Kingsknowe/Longstone).

There was 3-4 hibees there though and, without rubbing it in too much (they were really hurting) we had a ball to ourselves.

To top it all off I ended up "bagging-off" (remember that?) with one of the Jambo's sisters - he wasn't chuffed.

Wonder if I know you, from Longstone days

bod
03-05-2020, 12:47 PM
Wonder if I know you, from Longstone days

Might have been you he pulled :greengrin

Peevemor
03-05-2020, 12:56 PM
Might have been you he pulled :greengrinIf he worked at Burton's Biscuits at Sighthill and his nickname was Deepthroat, maybe it was.

Pagan Hibernia
03-05-2020, 01:01 PM
A genuine post from a Jambo on Facebook under BBC Scotland's video of the day itself:

'Yes I was there , it was heartbreaking but we didn't know then we would go on to win 3 Scottish cups , so it's swings and roundabouts'

I mean honestly, **** me

:greengrin

So 3 scottish cups in the 34 years since they pished away a title in the last 7 minutes of the season counts as success for ‘The Famous’? The self styled Big Team in Scotland’s capital? Alright then.

Baldy Foghorn
03-05-2020, 01:03 PM
If he worked at Burton's Biscuits at Sighthill and his nickname was Deepthroat, maybe it was.

Nope not I.....

PatHead
03-05-2020, 01:04 PM
:greengrin

So 3 scottish cups in the 34 years since they pished away a title in the last 7 minutes of the season counts as success for ‘The Famous’? The self styled Big Team in Scotland’s capital? Alright then.
34 years, nothing compared to 58 years since a league Cup win. Even I wasn't born then.

Baldy Foghorn
03-05-2020, 01:04 PM
Might have been you he pulled :greengrin

I do hope not, I was underage :greengrin

cocteautwin
03-05-2020, 02:19 PM
In a bid to make amends for the failed Double of ‘86 Hearts have just released a statement to say they’ll be going for the 35th anniversary double in 2021. The Championship and the Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Trophy.

PatHead
03-05-2020, 03:25 PM
In a bid to make amends for the failed Double of ‘86 Hearts have just released a statement to say they’ll be going for the 35th anniversary double in 2021. The Championship and the Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Trophy.

😂

Eyrie
03-05-2020, 03:36 PM

:thumbsup:

Looking forward to them jambottling that double.

EI255
03-05-2020, 03:46 PM
Genius Kidd.

Green blood son.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

surreyhibbie
03-05-2020, 04:00 PM
I was due to play in a woks 5-aside football tournament in Guildford that evening. Got picked up by a mate giviving me a lift, had avoided tv all day, utterly depressed. No internet then of course.

My mate told me the score when I got in the car, I went mental.

Especially as there were two Jambos also playing in the tournament that night. I sympathised with them of course..

Aye right, took the piss big time, me and another Hibby. great night. Won the man of the tournament trophy as well.

Mind you that was tainted a bit given the guy who awarded it...

I didn't care though, was smiling at the Jambos for weeks afterwards.

Aldo
03-05-2020, 06:32 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200503/0cedc086e2c775c4a5f7b34f896c4557.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IberianHibernian
03-05-2020, 09:35 PM
In pre internet days many overseas fans listened to Saturday sports programme on BBC World Service . From 4 o`clock onwards usually all football with commentary of big game in England and sometimes in Scotland ( matches all played at same time time then ) with score flashes from other matches . On days of our 4 - 3 cup win against Celtic and of Dens Park party English game got priority but presenter Paddy Feeney gave us recorded commentary of late goals in both matches along lines of " this happened " then " this happened " - fantastic listening . The 80s were a bad decade for us but that season 85 / 86 wasn`t actually too bad - LC final , SC semi and I think 5th in the league . Dundee would have qualified for Europe if Rangers hadn`t beaten Motherwell on last day in Sounness`first game in charge so certainly had something to play for .

SideBurns
04-05-2020, 08:23 AM
In pre internet days many overseas fans listened to Saturday sports programme on BBC World Service . From 4 o`clock onwards usually all football with commentary of big game in England and sometimes in Scotland ( matches all played at same time time then ) with score flashes from other matches . On days of our 4 - 3 cup win against Celtic and of Dens Park party English game got priority but presenter Paddy Feeney gave us recorded commentary of late goals in both matches along lines of " this happened " then " this happened " - fantastic listening . The 80s were a bad decade for us but that season 85 / 86 wasn`t actually too bad - LC final , SC semi and I think 5th in the league . Dundee would have qualified for Europe if Rangers hadn`t beaten Motherwell on last day in Sounness`first game in charge so certainly had something to play for .

Think we finished 8th in the league, 3rd from bottom?? Happy to be corrected though. It was a strange season for Hibs - a couple of memorable cup runs, and some great attacking football from the likes of Durie, Cowan, McBride. It also saw the emergence of John Collins as a first team regular, the best youngster to come through in an era which, if nothing else, produced several very useful players via the youth system.

Strange to think that we could already have had a trophy in the cabinet before the events of 3rd May, but no-one was too bothered about that by 4.50pm that day!

One Day
05-05-2020, 09:06 AM
I remember that day well.

We were in the Hibs Club before game, which was unusual for us, and it was like being in a library.
You could hear the proverbial clock ticking. Everyone convinced that they were going to win the
league.

There was around 4,000 at Easter Road and the place was like a morgue. That was until Kidd scored his 1st. My season ticket was in the old enclosure at that time. The cheer went up and a guy I worked with at the time ran along and jumped on me about knocking me to the ground.

We obviously knew the Celtic score and when the second went in, just as Dundee Utd. scored, the place went absolutely mental. All of a sudden 4,000 sounded like 40,000.

Outside cars were sounding their horns, people had scarfs hanging out car windows it was like we had won something rather than getting beat 2-1 of Dundee Utd.

The next week was just the icing on the cake.

G B Young
05-05-2020, 09:41 AM
Think we finished 8th in the league, 3rd from bottom?? Happy to be corrected though. It was a strange season for Hibs - a couple of memorable cup runs, and some great attacking football from the likes of Durie, Cowan, McBride. It also saw the emergence of John Collins as a first team regular, the best youngster to come through in an era which, if nothing else, produced several very useful players via the youth system.

Strange to think that we could already have had a trophy in the cabinet before the events of 3rd May, but no-one was too bothered about that by 4.50pm that day!

Yep, we lost our first five (or was it six?) league games but were unstoppable in the Skol Cup, banging in goals each midweek. Aberdeen were way too strong for us in the final though, as they were in the Scottish Cup semi-final (which, incidentally, was played at Dens Park in front of what I recall as a massive travelling Hibs support. One of the few times I travelled on the long-gone 'football special' trains).

ekhibee
05-05-2020, 10:40 AM
https://youtu.be/UCjEsN4E85s

I reckon almost every Hibs fan will remember what he was doing when this happened...