PDA

View Full Version : Unfair things

Waxy
29-04-2020, 07:22 PM
This season has been a bit unfair to Partick, but they did finish bottom.
Look what happened to us way back though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1893%E2%80%9394_in_Scottish_football

29-04-2020, 07:28 PM
Corruption! Call for an EGM to review the evidence, suspend the league's Chief Executive. Form a retrospective reconstruction task force.

Ringothedog
29-04-2020, 07:33 PM
This season has been a bit unfair to Partick, but they did finish bottom.
Look what happened to us way back though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1893%E2%80%9394_in_Scottish_football

And because of that we are the only club to have won successive first and second division championships👍

Sas_The_Hibby
29-04-2020, 07:34 PM
I've been bitter about that season ever since........ :grr:

BILLYHIBS
29-04-2020, 07:37 PM
We just had to bite the bullet it and win Division 2 all over again

No one likes us we don’t care

Waxy
30-04-2020, 11:49 AM
Hearts used to get defeats null and voided by the Edinburgh FA back in the day too.
Eh Hibs won but one of their players sock fell down in the second half.
Its a disgrace, we demand a reply.
Motion granted.

Diclonius
30-04-2020, 12:02 PM
Hearts used to get defeats null and voided by the Edinburgh FA back in the day too.
Eh Hibs won but one of their players sock fell down in the second half.
Its a disgrace, we demand a reply.
Motion granted.

I read one of our early history books (forget which one) and it was amazing how often clubs appealed the result of games and forced them to be replayed in the early days of football, often for completely spurious reasons. Don't understand why it was allowed.

erin go bragh
30-04-2020, 12:08 PM
Our league game 1975

With Hibs deservedly leading through two fine goals thick fog descended on Parkhead. With only five minutes left referee Davidson abandoned the game much to the disgust of Hibs' manager Eddie Turnbull who fumed 'There is no way Celtic would have won that game'.
SFA referees' supervisor Jack Mowat backed Davidson by saying that he had acted correctly by stopping the game.

Sadly the game was marred by an invasion of fans from the Jungle who took advantage of the fog to run on the field.

The Celtic fans in the 33,000 cheered loudly as the game was abandoned but Hibs were left nursing a sense of injustice.

Had to replay the game and it finished 1-1 .

BILLYHIBS
30-04-2020, 12:16 PM
Our league game 1975

With Hibs deservedly leading through two fine goals thick fog descended on Parkhead. With only five minutes left referee Davidson abandoned the game much to the disgust of Hibs' manager Eddie Turnbull who fumed 'There is no way Celtic would have won that game'.
SFA referees' supervisor Jack Mowat backed Davidson by saying that he had acted correctly by stopping the game.

Sadly the game was marred by an invasion of fans from the Jungle who took advantage of the fog to run on the field.

The Celtic fans in the 33,000 cheered loudly as the game was abandoned but Hibs were left nursing a sense of injustice.

Pretty sure at the fog engulfed closing credits John Blackley was giving the double handed V sign to the cameras :greengrin

superfurryhibby
30-04-2020, 12:18 PM
And because of that we are the only club to have won successive first and second division championships👍

Puzzled by this. We never won the first division in the 19th century ever, only the second.

Garymcl
30-04-2020, 12:21 PM
Was at that game and 11 midweek game left with my mate for safety reasons to get train back we jumped on local bus to station someone had radio on that’s when we learnt game was abandoned

BILLYHIBS
30-04-2020, 12:23 PM
Pretty sure in the excellent soccer Documentary where Davy Robertson ex sheep Hun and Leeds United took a second Division side from Kathmandu or somewhere through the Leagues and from a ram shackle Stadium in a war zone to the Final of the Indian FA Cup against a rich Premier League side the match ended in a draw so the SFA sorry Indian FA awarded the trophy to the premier league side

Petrie! :grr:

Might be talking pish

Edit: Real Kashmir

Ringothedog
30-04-2020, 12:26 PM
Puzzled by this. We never won the first division in the 19th century ever, only the second.

What I was meaning was that we are the only club to have won successive second division championships AND first Division championships
My original post wasn’t that clear

Bostonhibby
30-04-2020, 12:34 PM
A team being relegated when their owner spent millions to avoid being relegated.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200430/24ea6b402c1f72b918050e28fa31baaa.jpg

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

brog
30-04-2020, 12:38 PM
Our league game 1975

The 2 0 victory would have put us top of the league. IIRC Celtc fans were chanting "stop the game " & there had been 2 pitch invasions which lasted longer than the time outstanding when the game was stopped. When we drew 1 1 in the replayed game the press declared it was a fair result all round! Imagine if it had been the other way round!

JimBHibees
30-04-2020, 12:42 PM
The 2 0 victory would have put us top of the league. IIRC Celtc fans were chanting "stop the game " & there had been 2 pitch invasions which lasted longer than the time outstanding when the game was stopped. When we drew 1 1 in the replayed game the press declared it was a fair result all round! Imagine if it had been the other way round!

Vaguely remember Archie McPherson being interviewed not long after the game and there was no fog at all. As you say not a chance on this earth it would have been abandoned the other way round. Celtic fans seemed to have an obsession with runnng on the pitch at that time usually when they were losing right enough. Pretty sure it happened in the league cup final we won in 70s also.

AltheHibby
30-04-2020, 12:50 PM
It doesn't just happen in soccer.

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/588113/?fbclid=IwAR0XRHivggXIt4jSJmGryk4hIqbza2OFhxm4G8jL uNkxESWcZqw6ty22qGw

And no, I'm not a fan of the Dockers just because of the name, or the team colours, or that we're not the establishment team, or because Fremantle is Perth's Leith...

brog
30-04-2020, 01:51 PM
Vaguely remember Archie McPherson being interviewed not long after the game and there was no fog at all. As you say not a chance on this earth it would have been abandoned the other way round. Celtic fans seemed to have an obsession with runnng on the pitch at that time usually when they were losing right enough. Pretty sure it happened in the league cup final we won in 70s also.

Certainly happened in Drybrough Cup Final. The fact we were 3-0 up at the time was I'm sure sheer coincidence!

lapsedhibee
30-04-2020, 02:00 PM
No - Drybrough, not LC.

Kato
30-04-2020, 02:19 PM
Puzzled by this. We never won the first division in the 19th century ever, only the second.We won the 2nd division twice consecutively as outlined above and two 1st Division titles consecutively in the early 1950's.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
30-04-2020, 02:44 PM

Footage below from a game in 1978 at ER with a pitch invasion from Celtic fans. Jock Stein none too happy with them....

https://youtu.be/PcZ0yrTT45c

Fanforlife
30-04-2020, 03:34 PM
Our league game 1975

I was at both of those games,unbelievably the sun was splitting the pavements 10 minutes after first game was abandoned. 😞

delbert
30-04-2020, 03:37 PM
I was at both of those games,unbelievably the sun was splitting the pavements 10 minutes after first game was abandoned. 😞

That was the most ‘puzzling’ thing although perhaps not with Davidson in the middle, usually a referee would wait to see if the fog would lift, but not this time, clearly he had a night out and needed home for his tea !

weecounty hibby
30-04-2020, 04:21 PM
It seems a bit of a tactic of the celtic fans back then that when things were not going their way on the pitch that a pitch invasion was always in the cards.
My uncle reckons that it took longer to get them off the pitch than was left in that game when called off

brog
30-04-2020, 06:05 PM
It seems a bit of a tactic of the celtic fans back then that when things were not going their way on the pitch that a pitch invasion was always in the cards.
My uncle reckons that it took longer to get them off the pitch than was left in that game when called off
That's correct, see my post above.

Speedy
30-04-2020, 09:29 PM

We won the first division in the 2nd century. Learn something new every day.

Waxy
30-04-2020, 10:01 PM
We won the first division in the 2nd century. Learn something new every day.

The castle hadnt been built yet.

Pedantic_Hibee
01-05-2020, 05:34 AM
The castle hadnt been built yet.

Aye it was, I saw it from the Wheatfield stand.

BILLYHIBS
01-05-2020, 06:30 AM
I remember back in the day if you had a big Cup tie coming up against the OF if they had one of their stars suspended they would bring forward some obscure cancelled league game from earlier in the season and play it a few days before the big game and the SFA would say aye ok

Perfectly legal at the time but used to dae ma heid in :confused:

Sounds petty I know but they were always bending the rools

Colr
01-05-2020, 06:52 AM
Pretty sure in the excellent soccer Documentary where Davy Robertson ex sheep Hun and Leeds United took a second Division side from Kathmandu or somewhere through the Leagues and from a ram shackle Stadium in a war zone to the Final of the Indian FA Cup against a rich Premier League side the match ended in a draw so the SFA sorry Indian FA awarded the trophy to the premier league side

Petrie! :grr:

Might be talking pish

Edit: Real Kashmir

Feels like that should be a movie!!

BILLYHIBS
01-05-2020, 07:27 AM
Feels like that should be a movie!!
On BBCiplayer just now Real Kashmir FC a decent watch

Waxy
06-05-2020, 06:01 AM
On September 8th 1880 the Edinburgh Football association had a meeting in a hotel on Cockburn st.
At this meeting, hearts (jealous of Hibs success) without warning put forward a motion demanding the expulsion of Hibernian from the association on grounds of brutal play and unruly supporter behaviour.
Though this could have applied to any team at the time, the association werent pleased at Hibernians rise to such a prominent position.
Unbelievably ten vote were against and ten for with five abstaining saw Hibs only just survive this.
Only because Hibs were a good financial draw at the time saved us.
Though the club felt bitter as Hibs felt a vote should never have been allowed.