PDA

View Full Version : Juha Riippa

Hibby70
26-04-2020, 06:43 PM
His name just came into my head but I can't remember anything about him. I assume he was a dud.

He's up there with Thorsten Schmugge in the one hit wonders. Are there any others.

Pretty Boy
26-04-2020, 06:45 PM
His name just came into my head but I can't remember anything about him. I assume he was a dud.

He's up there with Thorsten Schmugge in the one hit wonders. Are there any others.

Made his debut in a derby at Tynecastle. Never left the centre circle, was never seen again.

JeMeSouviens
26-04-2020, 06:49 PM

Well we only saw him once but he didn’t seem to be a dud. Played centre half in a 0-0 draw at Tiny where some cheating Jambo **** went down like a sack of tatties after Yogi Hughes ruffled his hair.

Pretty Boy
26-04-2020, 07:03 PM
Well we only saw him once but he didn’t seem to be a dud. Played centre half in a 0-0 draw at Tiny where some cheating Jambo **** went down like a sack of tatties after Yogi Hughes ruffled his hair.

I thought he played midfield. Hibs team that day was:

Leighton
Miller
Hughes
Hunter
Shannon
McAllister
Riipa
Dow
McGinlay
Harper
Jackson

Subs

Weir
Millen
Wilkins

My memory is hazy but a back 4 with Hunter and Hughes as the centre backs surely? That's a team that shouldn't have been short of firepower on paper. As it was we finished 9th and scored 38 goals all season. Derby results that season were 3-1 Hearts, 0-0, 4-0 Hearts and 1-0 Hearts. Fun times.

Stephane Paille was the Hertz dick that went down like he had been shot. Remember Rousset the keeper chasing the ref the length of the pitch to make sure Hughes was sent off. I sat in the old main stand at Tynecastle that day when we still got a section.

Mon Dieu4
26-04-2020, 07:17 PM
I was there and my memory of it was like PB, he played defensive midfield and never really left our half of the centre circle the whole game, I liked him as he had an exotic name, not as good as when Emilio Bottigleiro came on for us in a pre season though

One I was thinking about not too long ago was Marko Rajamaki or when the gunts signed Willi Oueifio :faf:

Mon Dieu4
26-04-2020, 07:23 PM
Bjarni Larusson was another who came to us round about that period and only played a few games

Pretty Boy
26-04-2020, 07:39 PM
Bjarni Larusson was another who came to us round about that period and only played a few games

My memory may be playing tricks but I remember Larusson being half decent. Think he had not a bad career in the lower leagues in England.

There was a strange period of Hibs bringing in players for a few games then they disappeared without trace. Paul Holsgrove, Alex Marinkov, Peter Guggi, Joe McLaughlin, Derek Anderson, Klaus Deitrich, Thorsten Schmugge, Barry Prenderville..... All spring to mind as being here in a 2 or 3 year period and I doubt any of them played more than 15 games.

The 90+2
26-04-2020, 07:57 PM

Sure it was their drug cheat guy. French.

Smartie
26-04-2020, 08:08 PM
My memory may be playing tricks but I remember Larusson being half decent. Think he had not a bad career in the lower leagues in England.

There was a strange period of Hibs bringing in players for a few games then they disappeared without trace. Paul Holsgrove, Alex Marinkov, Peter Guggi, Joe McLaughlin, Derek Anderson, Klaus Deitrich, Thorsten Schmugge, Barry Prenderville..... All spring to mind as being here in a 2 or 3 year period and I doubt any of them played more than 15 games.

McLeish in particular signed quite a few players who appeared and disappeared very quickly.

I suppose it must have been around that time when teams started to churn through lots of players. Prior to that it seemed like players would stay at a club for longer periods and when you’d go to a game you’d know just about all of your opponent’s players.

Remember under Romanov you’d pitch up to a derby and there would be half a dozen new, unfamiliar faces every time you’d play them?

Edit - I suppose Duffy started our cycle by signing large numbers of duds. McLeish has a job on his hands getting decent players in to replace Duffy’s guff and all of the signings couldn’t be successful.

blackpoolhibs
26-04-2020, 08:10 PM
Who was the manager that signed for us, but left a couple of days later? :confused:

Pretty Boy
26-04-2020, 08:15 PM
Who was the manager that signed for us, but left a couple of days later? :confused:

Gudjon Thordardson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/3676275.stm

He was linked with the Hearts job a few years later as well.

blackpoolhibs
26-04-2020, 08:17 PM
Gudjon Thordardson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/3676275.stm

He was linked with the Hearts job a few years later as well.

Thats him, i couldn't remember his name for the life of me.

SiinDubai
26-04-2020, 08:40 PM

Leighton
Miller
Hughes
Hunter
Shannon
McAllister
Riipa
Dow
McGinlay
Harper
Jackson

Subs

Weir
Millen
Wilkins

My memory is hazy but a back 4 with Hunter and Hughes as the centre backs surely? That's a team that shouldn't have been short of firepower on paper. As it was we finished 9th and scored 38 goals all season. Derby results that season were 3-1 Hearts, 0-0, 4-0 Hearts and 1-0 Hearts. Fun times.

Stephane Paille was the Hertz dick that went down like he had been shot. Remember Rousset the keeper chasing the ref the length of the pitch to make sure Hughes was sent off. I sat in the old main stand at Tynecastle that day when we still got a section.

I remember this game, likewise I was in the old rickety stand however I have absolutely no recollection of this guy. I do remember the keeper charging all the way upfield to the halfway line when yogi ruffled the cheats hair.

Smartie
26-04-2020, 08:52 PM
Is there any chance that this was Gary Naismith’s debut, or something close to it?

I remember lots of dire games there around that time but there was one when I remember their 17 year old LB having a good game then going on to have a decent career.

It’s one of those ones that makes you feel a bit old - seeing a 17 year old very early in his career, become a grizzled old pro and then a manager.

He was one of the first players whose career I clearly remember starting and finishing, bizarrely.

And that sending off is up there with the most scandalous decisions I’ve seen us suffer. Genuinely odious behaviour from that shower.

darwenhibby
26-04-2020, 09:06 PM
I used to know yogis brother through my work in Edinburgh at the time
They gave him 9 disciplinary points also
Hence him being out for quite a spell then injuries followed

stantonhibby
26-04-2020, 09:10 PM

Leighton
Miller
Hughes
Hunter
Shannon
McAllister
Riipa
Dow
McGinlay
Harper
Jackson

Subs

Weir
Millen
Wilkins

Yep....i was in the old stand too.....Riipa def played mudfield. Didn't do much as i recall!

HibbyAndy
26-04-2020, 09:26 PM
Is there any chance that this was Gary Naismith’s debut, or something close to it?

I remember lots of dire games there around that time but there was one when I remember their 17 year old LB having a good game then going on to have a decent career.

It’s one of those ones that makes you feel a bit old - seeing a 17 year old very early in his career, become a grizzled old pro and then a manager.

He was one of the first players whose career I clearly remember starting and finishing, bizarrely.

And that sending off is up there with the most scandalous decisions I’ve seen us suffer. Genuinely odious behaviour from that shower.

Gary Naysmith made his debut for Hearts in a cup game against Celtic

Jamesie
26-04-2020, 09:45 PM
I was at Tynie for Riipa’s one and only game too and thought he did OK - was mildly disappointed when he didn’t get a deal. He was actually listed on the team lines that day as “trialist” and that was what was announced on the tannoy - good trivia question that one as I can’t imagine too many trialists have featured in the Edinburgh Derby over the years.

JimBHibees
26-04-2020, 09:45 PM

Leighton
Miller
Hughes
Hunter
Shannon
McAllister
Riipa
Dow
McGinlay
Harper
Jackson

Subs

Weir
Millen
Wilkins

Don't think Rippa game was same one as Paille game. Thought Rippa played well in centre mid. No idea why he didn't play more.

erin go bragh
26-04-2020, 10:51 PM

I remember a giant of a keeper played in goals for us against Sunderland ( think) pre season friendly .Game ended 2-2 and I thought the keeper did no bad but never was seen again ( think )

Speedy
26-04-2020, 11:05 PM
I remember a giant of a keeper played in goals for us against Sunderland ( think) pre season friendly .Game ended 2-2 and I thought the keeper did no bad but never was seen again ( think )

Hyldegard?

Bishop Hibee
26-04-2020, 11:26 PM
Humphrey Rudge popped up in the starting lineup when we beat Hearts 2-0 in the ‘unbeatable’ derby. Played 6 league games and 2league cup games.

erin go bragh
27-04-2020, 12:32 AM
Hyldegard?
That’s the one 👍
Knew it started with a H . Top of the class Speedy .

Iain G
27-04-2020, 06:28 AM
That’s the one 👍

He was on a proper contract with us but just never got a game! Probably due to Daniel Anderson?

Onceinawhile
27-04-2020, 06:42 AM
That’s the one 👍

Played against Preston North end in a pre season friendly too.

Finished 1-1 as we conceded a late equaliser.

Newhaven
27-04-2020, 06:58 AM
Humphrey Rudge popped up in the starting lineup when we beat Hearts 2-0 in the ‘unbeatable’ derby. Played 6 league games and 2league cup games.

Always remember Humphrey, mind his training regime consisted of 20 JPS before 10am.

In saying that he was outstanding in a trip up north where we got a 0-1 triumph

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/4362230.stm

Pretty Boy
27-04-2020, 07:37 AM
Played against Preston North end in a pre season friendly too.

Finished 1-1 as we conceded a late equaliser.

He played in an instalment of the short lived Festival Cup as well. A 1-0 loss at ER and he was at fault for the goal.

SquashedFrogg
27-04-2020, 07:50 AM

Sure he scored away to Killie on his debut. Although my memory might be playing tricks.

Sweet Left Peg
27-04-2020, 08:59 AM
If you listen very carefully to "D'You Know What I Mean" by Oasis, it's there, in the background...

"Juhha Riipa won't be for long"

Fact

The Modfather
27-04-2020, 09:08 AM

Leighton
Miller
Hughes
Hunter
Shannon
McAllister
Riipa
Dow
McGinlay
Harper
Jackson

Subs

Weir
Millen
Wilkins

Was the 4-0 game the one where Leighton duffed a clearance and Cameron chipped him? I remember it as it was the new year derby which I always got tickets for at Xmas. I can vividly remember wanting to leave early but My Dad, who was a Jambo, unsurprisingly insisted on staying to the end.

That game aside, getting tickets for the new year derby was always one of the highlight of xmas growing up.

27-04-2020, 09:11 AM
Love her music. 🙃

Pretty Boy
27-04-2020, 09:16 AM
An invisible Hibs 11 would be intetesting:

Hyldegard

Mavrias
Dietrich
Marinkov
McQuilken

Larusson
Grant
Riipa
Sar-Temsoury

Pinau
Sowunni

Subs:

Virtanen
Phillips
Grof
Nelom
Eckersley
Matyus
Smart
Nicol
Zarabi
Joneleit
Noubissie
Rosa
Yantorno
Daquin
Thornhill
Trakys
Airey
Mullen
Sinclair
Anier
Humprhrey
Rherras
Guggi
Johnson
Spector
Bigirimana
Vela
Feruz
Elliot
Prenderville
Bottiglieri
Morton
Shannon
Anderson

Some names in there and that's just off the top of my head. Philips was a goalkeeper and Morton was a defender who both signed from Derby at the same time and I don't think either played a game. Daquin had 2 spells at Hibs and didn't break double figures for appearances. We paid a fee for Brian Grant and he made 17 appearances in just under 2 years.

Pretty Boy
27-04-2020, 09:18 AM
Was the 4-0 game the one where Leighton duffed a clearance and Cameron chipped him? I remember it as it was the new year derby which I always got tickets for at Xmas. I can vividly remember wanting to leave early but My Dad, who was a Jambo, unsurprisingly insisted on staying to the end.

That game aside, getting tickets for the new year derby was always one of the highlight of xmas growing up.

It was. It was Jim Duffys 1st game in charge. Andy Millen was sent off in the 1st half.

For the brave or mental among us lowlights here:

https://youtu.be/jmR-zsZ3oIs

brog
27-04-2020, 10:43 AM

Hyldegard

Mavrias
Dietrich
Marinkov
McQuilken

Larusson
Grant
Riipa
Sar-Temsoury

Pinau
Sowunni

Subs:

Virtanen
Phillips
Grof
Nelom
Eckersley
Matyus
Smart
Nicol
Zarabi
Joneleit
Noubissie
Rosa
Yantorno
Daquin
Thornhill
Trakys
Airey
Mullen
Sinclair
Anier
Humprhrey
Rherras
Guggi
Johnson
Spector
Bigirimana
Vela
Feruz
Elliot
Prenderville
Bottiglieri
Morton
Shannon
Anderson

Some names in there and that's just off the top of my head. Philips was a goalkeeper and Morton was a defender who both signed from Derby at the same time and I don't think either played a game. Daquin had 2 spells at Hibs and didn't break double figures for appearances. We paid a fee for Brian Grant and he made 17 appearances in just under 2 years.

Funny enough I was going to start a thread on this very subject. Was sparked by seeing the Dundee derby on TV recently & had totally forgotten Rab Shannon had played for us. He actually made his debut in the 0-0 draw at PBS. While browsing through the list of forgotten players, many of whom you've listed above, I came upon Kevin McDonald. We signed him from Sunderland, he played a few games then moved on to Airdrie & Alloa where he played a lot. I genuinely have no recall of this guy!
Great thread & congrats on finding all these players above!

brog
27-04-2020, 10:50 AM
Fabian Yantorno, I was so pleased when we signed him, was always superb against us. What a disappointment.

greeny
27-04-2020, 12:07 PM
Franks, Eardley

MikeyS
27-04-2020, 12:46 PM
Funny enough I was going to start a thread on this very subject. Was sparked by seeing the Dundee derby on TV recently & had totally forgotten Rab Shannon had played for us. He actually made his debut in the 0-0 draw at PBS. While browsing through the list of forgotten players, many of whom you've listed above, I came upon Kevin McDonald. We signed him from Sunderland, he played a few games then moved on to Airdrie & Alloa where he played a lot. I genuinely have no recall of this guy!

He married Kev Thomson's sister, think he also works for Kevin on his Academy.

brog
27-04-2020, 02:13 PM

Excellent, ta! While browsing through our players I spotted this cracker. Angus Plumb, made his debut on New Year's day 1949 & failed to score. We lost 3 2. Including his debut he played in 10 consecutive games. He scored 10 goals in the next 8 games of which we won 7 & drew 1. The draw was a cup tie & we won the replay. He then failed to score in a 1 0 defeat to Rangers & he never played again for Hibs! He was transferred to Falkirk & then E Fife where he scored more than 1 goal in every 2 games. Bar 2 seasons all his goals, 144, were in the top flight. Sorry for taking off topic but I was fascinated that we sold a guy who scored 10 goals in his only 10 appearances!

MWHIBBIES
27-04-2020, 02:31 PM
Excellent, ta! While browsing through our players I spotted this cracker. Angus Plumb, made his debut on New Year's day 1949 & failed to score. We lost 3 2. Including his debut he played in 10 consecutive games. He scored 10 goals in the next 8 games of which we won 7 & drew 1. The draw was a cup tie & we won the replay. He then failed to score in a 1 0 defeat to Rangers & he never played again for Hibs! He was transferred to Falkirk & then E Fife where he scored more than 1 goal in every 2 games. Bar 2 seasons all his goals, 144, were in the top flight. Sorry for taking off topic but I was fascinated that we sold a guy who scored 10 goals in his only 10 appearances!
Hounded out by the usual suspects.

ancient hibee
27-04-2020, 02:36 PM

Scored a hat trick for Falkirk against Hearts.

Clarence
27-04-2020, 05:59 PM

Hyldegard

Mavrias
Dietrich
Marinkov
McQuilken

Larusson
Grant
Riipa
Sar-Temsoury

Pinau
Sowunni

Subs:

Virtanen
Phillips
Grof
Nelom
Eckersley
Matyus
Smart
Nicol
Zarabi
Joneleit
Noubissie
Rosa
Yantorno
Daquin
Thornhill
Trakys
Airey
Mullen
Sinclair
Anier
Humprhrey
Rherras
Guggi
Johnson
Spector
Bigirimana
Vela
Feruz
Elliot
Prenderville
Bottiglieri
Morton
Shannon
Anderson

The thought of David Elliot and Jamie McQuilken in the same Hibs team still gives me shivers. Remember is getting pumped at Parkhead with that pair being ripped apart. Think it was 5 going on 10 that day.

CropleyWasGod
27-04-2020, 06:00 PM

I sponsored KM's boots. Never played for the first team again after that, and was loaned to Clyde(?). Didn't even come to the sponsors' night to present me with his boots as he was away with his new team-mates 🤣

I can pick a player.....

Smartie
28-04-2020, 12:03 AM
The thought of David Elliot and Jamie McQuilken in the same Hibs team still gives me shivers. Remember is getting pumped at Parkhead with that pair being ripped apart. Think it was 5 going on 10 that day.

I remember that day. Did Pat McGinlay not score a cracker of a header to open the scoring for them (whilst playing for us?)

That was the first time I realised that they had pulled miles ahead of us. 2 or 3 years before that we finished above them in the league. That day we had Joe McLaughlin plodding about, that pair of chancers and a pile of other keech.

They had Di Canio, Van Hooijdonk, Andreas Thom, Jorge Cadete, really good players. They tore us apart and as you say, it should have been more than the 5 they got.

Jack
28-04-2020, 06:47 AM
Every time I see this thread I think it's been started by a Dua Lipa fan with a writing impediment!

Hibby70
28-04-2020, 06:48 AM
Every time I see this thread I think it's been started by a Dua Lipa fan with a writing impediment!

I actually have decent taist in music 😁

Craig_HFC
28-04-2020, 08:26 AM

He's also the manager of Musselburgh Athletic.

Treadstone
28-04-2020, 09:02 AM
Rousset got Yogi sent off in this game. Raced 50yds from his line to claim Yogi had punched Stephane 'mince' Paille. He repeated it after the game and should have been done as Yogi ruffled his hair. Jocky Scott was caretaker manager.

GRA
28-04-2020, 09:16 AM
French boy called Hakim Sar-Temsoury joined us 20 years ago based on a recommendation from Sauzee. Saw him come on as a sub for last 10 minutes against Motherwell. He gave the gave the ball away about five times. Never saw him again after..

nonshinyfinish
28-04-2020, 09:32 AM
French boy called Hakim Sar-Temsoury joined us 20 years ago based on a recommendation from Sauzee. Saw him come on as a sub for last 10 minutes against Motherwell. He gave the gave the ball away about five times. Never saw him again after..

A guy that sat near me at the time got Sar-Temsoury on the back of his shirt. In fairness he kept wearing it despite the relentless piss-taking.

Clarence
28-04-2020, 10:38 AM
I remember that day. Did Pat McGinlay not score a cracker of a header to open the scoring for them (whilst playing for us?)

That was the first time I realised that they had pulled miles ahead of us. 2 or 3 years before that we finished above them in the league. That day we had Joe McLaughlin plodding about, that pair of chancers and a pile of other keech.

They had Di Canio, Van Hooijdonk, Andreas Thom, Jorge Cadete, really good players. They tore us apart and as you say, it should have been more than the 5 they got.

Celtc bassas were singing there’s only one pat mcginlay! He was their top scorer the season he was there which further proves your point about them pulling away from us at that point.

Clarence
28-04-2020, 10:50 AM
If you listen very carefully to "D'You Know What I Mean" by Oasis, it's there, in the background...

"Juhha Riipa won't be for long"

Fact

Haha so it does. If you play “All Around The World” in reverse it says “worship Paul Tosh, worship Paul Tosh”.

Sweet Left Peg
28-04-2020, 12:40 PM
Haha so it does. If you play “All Around The World” in reverse it says “worship Paul Tosh, worship Paul Tosh”.

Tall Pish and Pee Lower

I like you, Clarence. Always have. Always will.

eastmainsmsh
28-04-2020, 04:36 PM
Fred Dacquin scuse spelling lol