PDA

View Full Version : Observer article today - Hibs are World Champions; Hearts runners up

SideBurns
26-04-2020, 10:28 AM
Great article in The Observer today by Jonathan Wilson, mostly focusing on Hearts v Sunderland in 1895 for the World Championship. Hearts success was built on an offside trap which helped them win the Scottish title; Sunderland were an exciting, attacking team. Fittingly, Sunderland won 5-3 at Tynecastle.

Only a brief mention of Hibs win over Preston NE in 1887, but nice surprise to see it in print this morning anyway 😁

Actually a really interesting read, and sounded some game at the original Pink Bus Shelter in front of a record 15,000 crowd.

nonshinyfinish
26-04-2020, 10:30 AM
Link: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/apr/25/even-when-sunderland-ruled-the-globe-club-world-cups-were-controversial

GloryGlory
26-04-2020, 10:34 AM
Great article in The Observer today by Jonathan Wilson, mostly focusing on Hearts v Sunderland in 1895 for the World Championship. Hearts success was built on an offside trap which helped them win the Scottish title; Sunderland were an exciting, attacking team. Fittingly, Sunderland won 5-3 at Tynecastle.

Only a brief mention of Hibs win over Preston NE in 1887, but nice surprise to see it in print this morning anyway 😁

Actually a really interesting read, and sounded some game at the original Pink Bus Shelter in front of a record 15,000 crowd.

The Yams - boring for Britain since 1874.:greengrin

SideBurns
26-04-2020, 10:39 AM

That's what I thought 😁. Tbh I didnae ken the offside rule was in place away back then, but the Jambos obviously saw an early opportunity to make fitba as defensive as possible!

nonshinyfinish
26-04-2020, 10:44 AM
That's what I thought 😁. Tbh I didnae ken the offside rule was in place away back then, but the Jambos obviously saw an early opportunity to make fitba as defensive as possible!

IIRC at that time the offside rule was stricter than now – you needed three members of the defending team ahead of you to be onside.

I think it changed to two players in the 1920s.

LithgaeHibby
26-04-2020, 10:45 AM

Auld Ebeneezer Levein was in charge, an early proponent of 4-6-0.

Bostonhibby
26-04-2020, 11:21 AM
They wouldn't be able to play games in such a prestigious tournament on their non compliant pitch nowadays.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

SideBurns
26-04-2020, 12:06 PM
They wouldn't be able to play games in such a prestigious tournament on their non compliant pitch nowadays.

The "heavy drizzle" won't have helped the condition of their cabbage patch pitch either. Nice to note they managed to jambottle it, starting an early tradition - 3-2 up with 10 minutes to go.

As a peculiar aside, two 'Trainspotting' references in the article: the year after Hibs triumph, Renton beat West Brom to keep the title in Scotland; and, Hearts had a striker called Begbie!!

Bostonhibby
26-04-2020, 12:40 PM
The "heavy drizzle" won't have helped the condition of their cabbage patch pitch either. Nice to note they managed to jambottle it, starting an early tradition - 3-2 up with 10 minutes to go.

As a peculiar aside, two 'Trainspotting' references in the article: the year after Hibs triumph, Renton beat West Brom to keep the title in Scotland; and, Hearts had a striker called Begbie!![emoji106] never knew that, every days a schoolday.[emoji16]