PDA

View Full Version : Persevered - Aiden Smith

Since452
22-04-2020, 02:03 PM
Anyone read it? Decent read in this boring lockdown. Captures our bad luck/failure in the Scottish Cup all its "glory" throughout the years. Couple of criticisms are it goes on about the 1970's team an awful lot which has you zoning out a bit if you weren't around then and also it mentions Griffiths having never scored against Hearts at Easter Road and we took 30k to Hampden against Livingston in the LC final and 20k against Ross County. Overall good book and recommend if you fancy a Hibs related book. I got it quickly from Amazon.

franck sauzee
22-04-2020, 02:51 PM
Anyone read it? Decent read in this boring lockdown. Captures our bad luck/failure in the Scottish Cup all its "glory" throughout the years. Couple of criticisms are it goes on about the 1970's team an awful lot which has you zoning out a bit if you weren't around then and also it mentions Griffiths having never scored against Hearts at Easter Road and we took 30k to Hampden against Livingston in the LC final and 20k against Ross County. Overall good book and recommend if you fancy a Hibs related book. I got it quickly from Amazon.

Surely it was nearer to 40k and 30k?

Since452
22-04-2020, 02:52 PM

That's what I thought. The book said 30k and 20k.

JimBHibees
22-04-2020, 02:53 PM

Definitely was. Hibs have never had a bigger support than that Livi game imo. Ross county was I think 29k.

green.oracle
22-04-2020, 02:58 PM

Yeah, unfortunately there are a few more factual errors in an otherwise good read.

Griffiths did Score at ER v ****bos on 12 August 2012. First derby after the cheating cup final.

Since452
22-04-2020, 03:08 PM
Yeah, unfortunately there are a few more factual errors in an otherwise good read.

Griffiths did Score at ER v ****bos on 12 August 2012. First derby after the cheating cup final.

Yup that's the goal that sprag to mind

BILLYHIBS
22-04-2020, 03:52 PM
Best book for me What Kept You HIBS ? By James Stephen

No obvious errors and relives our journey from relegation back to our rightful place in the Premiership revisiting all the games that mattered including the Holy Grail with descriptions so vivid you almost feel you are back at every match

Highly recommended

Honourable mentions of course to Alan Lugton John Campbell Ted Brack Tom Wright and many of the biographies of Hibee heroes ��

givescotlandfreedom
22-04-2020, 04:00 PM
37k at the Livi final IIRC. In his Heartfelt book I thought he went off on tangents about pop cultural at the time - I found those pretty boring. His pretending to be confused about which team to support at the end was just weird too.

givescotlandfreedom
22-04-2020, 04:01 PM

He scored one from miles out too which wasn't given.

Kato
22-04-2020, 04:07 PM
He scored one from miles out too which wasn't given.44 yards or there abouts

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
22-04-2020, 04:52 PM
Never really taken to Smith’s writing, much as he appears to be a Hibby. The OP points out his 70s fixation and it’s something he tends to over-egg in what could be otherwise interesting articles. He doesn’t limit this to Hibs, recently he painted 70s Stockbridge out to be his own private gangland ghetto. He is something of a hipster.
Heartfelt was a catastrophe of a concept, worst football related book I’ve ever read, scarcely believable.

pollution
22-04-2020, 05:12 PM
37k at the Livi final IIRC. In his Heartfelt book I thought he went off on tangents about pop cultural at the time - I found those pretty boring. His pretending to be confused about which team to support at the end was just weird too.

The crowd was 40,377 and there were 7000 Dunf supporters approx. Having said that that there must have been a few lift overs.

We were in the terracing opposite the main stand and there were many Celtic fans. Spoke to two of them behind me and they said

they were there to enjoy the game rather than suffer the abuse at their own games at Hampden, usually against Rangers.

I also remember a man dying at the game of a heart attack, poor guy.

Killiehibbie
22-04-2020, 05:21 PM
Never really taken to Smith’s writing, much as he appears to be a Hibby. The OP points out his 70s fixation and it’s something he tends to over-egg in what could be otherwise interesting articles. He doesn’t limit this to Hibs, recently he painted 70s Stockbridge out to be his own private gangland ghetto. He is something of a hipster.
Heartfelt was a catastrophe of a concept, worst football related book I’ve ever read, scarcely believable.

I know that if it was me it would've felt like getting out of jail at the end of the season. Maybe he was quickly institutionalised or always swung that way.

NB i would've needed to be paid a lot of money to watch them for a season. Doesn't make me a bad person but I could be persuaded to do a few unsavoury things if the price was right

hibby6270
22-04-2020, 05:23 PM
44 yards or there abouts

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Nah. It was easily 46 yards out. :wink:
Maybe 44 inches over the line!!:agree:

BILLYHIBS
22-04-2020, 05:31 PM
It was a fair bit out likes and a fair bit over the line

Petrie! :grr:

https://youtu.be/LF95JOxsWq0

Since452
22-04-2020, 05:35 PM
Best book for me What Kept You HIBS ? By James Stephen

No obvious errors and relives our journey from relegation back to our rightful place in the Premiership revisiting all the games that mattered including the Holy Grail with descriptions so vivid you almost feel you are back at every match

Highly recommended

Honourable mentions of course to Alan Lugton John Campbell Ted Brack Tom Wright and many of the biographies of Hibee heroes ��

Thanks for the tip. I'll look it up 👍

HibeesLittleHel
22-04-2020, 05:39 PM
Definitely was. Hibs have never had a bigger support than that Livi game imo. Ross county was I think 29k.
V Dunfermline in Skol Cup near 40 k Hibees. Thousands locked out

BILLYHIBS
22-04-2020, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll look it up 👍

The author posts on here but pretty sure now only available as an ebook as only 150 printed

Good luck