PDA

View Full Version : A bit of love for Ron Gordon

NAE NOOKIE
21-04-2020, 08:53 PM
Of all the times to buy a football club this has to have been the worst in history.

At the AGM and since then Ron Gordon, at least for me, has never given anything but the impression that he wants the very best for Hibs. He has seemed totally genuine and you got the feeling that he is very open to getting the vibe of what being a Hibby is all about and developing a real affinity for the the club, as opposed to just saying what he feels folk want to hear.

There is always an element of doubt over the intentions and aims of a new owner, and especially a new owner with no direct connections to the club, or the community it comes from and that supports it. But through his communications up till now and his actions the feeling I get is that he is committed to a football club, with all that means, and not just a business opportunity or any kind of ego trip.

In view of all that multi millionaire or not Ron Gordon has my utmost sympathy that what should have been an exciting and hopefully fun venture has gone tits up so quickly and through no fault of his own .... Stick in there Ron. If you get us through this to the other side, hopefully as a bigger and better club, then you will have put yourself right up there with the very best of any owners this club has had.

We are all Hibs ... and that includes you :aok:

JimBHibees
21-04-2020, 09:00 PM
Of all the times to buy a football club this has to have been the worst in history.

At the AGM and since then Ron Gordon, at least for me, has never given anything but the impression that he wants the very best for Hibs. He has seemed totally genuine and you got the feeling that he is very open to getting the vibe of what being a Hibby is all about and developing a real affinity for the the club, as opposed to just saying what he feels folk want to hear.

There is always an element of doubt over the intentions and aims of a new owner, and especially a new owner with no direct connections to the club, or the community it comes from and that supports it. But through his communications up till now and his actions the feeling I get is that he is committed to a football club, with all that means, and not just a business opportunity or any kind of ego trip.

In view of all that multi millionaire or not Ron Gordon has my utmost sympathy that what should have been an exciting and hopefully fun venture has gone tits up so quickly and through no fault of his own .... Stick in there Ron. If you get us through this to the other side, hopefully as a bigger and better club, then you will have put yourself right up there with the very best of any owners this club has had.

Couldn't agree more.

jacomo
21-04-2020, 09:32 PM
Yup I like the cut of his jib a lot. Comes across as a guy who actually knows what he’s doing, rather than someone who likes talking about what a good job they are doing.

Kato
21-04-2020, 09:34 PM
The sense of frustration he must feel is palpable. Hopefully we see better days soon and we can kick on.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
21-04-2020, 10:20 PM
I had a good vibe about Ron from day one and I trust STF and RP to have left us in good hands

I have been impressed by the way Ron Gordon has handled things so far sitting back taking stock backing both Managers and not diving in making wholesale changes

I have also been impressed by the way Hibernian Football Club have conducted themselves in this unprecedented national health social and economic crisis especially the affect its wider ramifications may have on the clubs within the Scottish Football Leagues both financially and structurally

We will get through this and I am convinced we will come out the other side stronger as a club and as a community but things might still get a whole lot worse before they get better as we enter uncharted waters

Ron Gordon is in this for the long haul and together we will be fine

We are all HIBS

Yorkshire HFC
22-04-2020, 06:44 AM
I don't know anything about him - I've never been bothered about finances or ownership of the club - I'm just glad he's not the ruler of Saudi Arabia.

I'd much rather he was Scottish and that he knew more about Scottish culture - but when I see what Newcastle are doing, I'm glad we're not in their position.

jacomo
22-04-2020, 07:32 AM
The sense of frustration he must feel is palpable. Hopefully we see better days soon and we can kick on.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Out of crisis comes opportunity. I’m sure RG has cause to regret the havoc that this pandemic has caused, but it will shake up football for good and Hibs could benefit from that.

The fundamental strengths of our club have not changed, and others will be even more envious of our position. Look at Aberdeen, for example, who must be wondering if their new stadium project is viable anymore.

Peevemor
22-04-2020, 07:56 AM
We shouldn't forget that Ron's business interests lay mostly with the Hispanic communities in the states, who are among the most affected by the virus.

It could well be that Hibs aren't foremost in his mind at the moment.

ano hibby
22-04-2020, 08:44 AM
Indeed, was just thinking that as I read the thread. As a successful entrepreneur he will likely have a variety of business interests and how they are performing through this crisis may well determine how he allocates his time & money.

Hopefully he was very liquid having cashed out in recent years and therefore can pick & choose what to invest in during the crisis.

The way he’s behaved in recent months does suggest he has allocated a fair bit time to us so hopefully we have got under his skin enough that that continues.

But yes to echo the posts here, hope Ron & his family are ok and that thus far, I for one appreciate what he has initially done/proposed for the club and long may it continue. I think it is a crisis where, in corporate speak, the strong get stronger so hopefully he can see the opportunities in this too. 👍

Peevemor
22-04-2020, 08:51 AM
Indeed, was just thinking that as I read the thread. As a successful entrepreneur he will likely have a variety of business interests and how they are performing through this crisis may well determine how he allocates his time & money.

Hopefully he was very liquid having cashed out in recent years and therefore can pick & choose what to invest in during the crisis.

The way he’s behaved in recent months does suggest he has allocated a fair bit time to us so hopefully we have got under his skin enough that that continues.

But yes to echo the posts here, hope Ron & his family are ok and that thus far, I for one appreciate what he has initially done/proposed for the club and long may it continue. I think it is a crisis where, in corporate speak, the strong get stronger so hopefully he can see the opportunities in this too. ��

I was thinking more on a personal level rather than in business terms.

Hibs4185
22-04-2020, 09:02 AM

Great post and he has certainly made a positive impression.

Even without RG’s backing hibs are in a strong position. Only Celtic are in a stronger position than hibs and because we have went into this crisis with such a good foundation, it hopefully means when this crisis is over and life returns to some sort of normality, hibs will be able to capitalise and really push on.

Ozyhibby
22-04-2020, 09:47 AM
His chat is good but far to early to judge him. Actions will matter more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ano hibby
22-04-2020, 09:56 AM
I was thinking more on a personal level rather than in business terms.

Yep get that 👍

NAE NOOKIE
22-04-2020, 12:11 PM

I don't think there are many who haven't got this point of view, including me.

All my OP was intended to convey was a feeling of sympathy I think most of us will have for Ron Gordon, that he has sunk a considerable amount of time and money into this adventure only for it to blow up in his face somewhat through no fault of his own. At this time it has to be from a standpoint that he wants nothing but the best for Hibs, because so far he has given no indication that that isn't the case.

Dont get me wrong ..... If he shows any sign of being an asset stripper or anything like that I'll be the first oot the back o' the main stand with pitchfork and blazing torch in hand :greengrin

jacomo
22-04-2020, 12:44 PM

I think this is unfair. He’s done plenty that should give us confidence and not given cause for concern... Craig Whyte had bankrupted Rangers in less time!

Ozyhibby
22-04-2020, 01:03 PM
I think this is unfair. He’s done plenty that should give us confidence and not given cause for concern... Craig Whyte had bankrupted Rangers in less time!

I have zero cause for concern and I’m 99.9% certain his intentions are good.
It’s just too early to make a call on whether he will be a good owner for Hibs.

WhileTheChief..
22-04-2020, 01:10 PM
You’ve got him all wrong, he’s only here to shaft us and take what he can.

Couple of lads on Kickback said so. They’re in the know don’t ya know.

DarlingtonHibee
22-04-2020, 01:30 PM

Was waiting for this one

Debt cleared.

Seven figure investment fund.

Line of credit available.

Obviously convinced stf and rp that we would be in safe custody.

Apart from that, what has he done 🙄🙄🙄

jacomo
22-04-2020, 01:45 PM
Was waiting for this one

Debt cleared.

Seven figure investment fund.

Line of credit available.

Obviously convinced stf and rp that we would be in safe custody.

Apart from that, what has he done 🙄🙄🙄

We’re still waiting on the cheerleaders, foot long hotdogs and digital ‘ribbon’ to be fair...

DarlingtonHibee
22-04-2020, 01:51 PM
We’re still waiting on the cheerleaders, foot long hotdogs and digital ‘ribbon’ to be fair...

Brilliant 😂, think two of them were STF's suggestion at the announcement of the takeover!!!!

Caversham Green
22-04-2020, 01:54 PM

Take it from me Peruvian food stalls is the way to go. :drool:

Irish_Steve
22-04-2020, 02:49 PM
Imagine how far you could launch a foot long hot dog lol

On a serious note though, how much "spare" cash do we have? Presuming there will be no football for a while, how do we stay afloat? I`ve renewed my ST`s in the executive seats in the FF Upper and I don`t want a refund for this season if it stops now (and boy do I want it too lol).

jacomo
22-04-2020, 03:39 PM
Take it from me Peruvian food stalls is the way to go. :drool:

Roasted guinea pigs?

Pretty useless pets but I’m not sure I could eat one.

Ozyhibby
22-04-2020, 03:51 PM
Imagine how far you could launch a foot long hot dog lol

On a serious note though, how much "spare" cash do we have? Presuming there will be no football for a while, how do we stay afloat? I`ve renewed my ST`s in the executive seats in the FF Upper and I don`t want a refund for this season if it stops now (and boy do I want it too lol).

If we start next season as normal on time then we should be ok.
So far we are missing 4 or 5 home games worth of revenue although a lot have season tickets so the money is in anyway.
Any delay to the new season will be a blow to our finances though I would think. And it will be worse for other clubs.
We could certainly do with Aston Villa selling John McGinn this summer.

Sammy7nil
22-04-2020, 03:59 PM
Love you Ron :wink:

matty_f
22-04-2020, 05:20 PM
Roasted guinea pigs?

Pretty useless pets but I’m not sure I could eat one.

I’ve got a guinea pig and he is a useless pet.

NAE NOOKIE
22-04-2020, 10:34 PM
I’ve got a guinea pig and he is a useless pet.

:agree: ... We had about 10 at one time ... all they do is eat, generate tons of crap and make wee guinea pigs.