PDA

View Full Version : This is how it felt (Hearts 22 10 2000)

Jonnyboy
21-04-2020, 07:37 PM
It was the very early days of Hibs.net and I’d been asked by Stu Crowther to give a commentary on the Hibs v Hearts game. In the years ahead, commentaries would be via internet radio but back then it involved me giving my commentary down a phone line so that Stu could let those high speed fingers of his type on his keyboard: the words ending up on the Hibs List. The date was 22nd October 2000 and the events that unfolded are now written into Hibernian folklore. Knowing I was going to be commentating I did a bit of homework regarding stats etc., but the truth is those stats basically disappeared as soon as the match kicked off.

It was the old West Stand and I was ensconced inside the old radio commentary box at the very back. I shared the space with Paul Mitchell who was doing the BBC commentary. Paul’s a good lad, for a Jambo but we respected each other’s space and sat at opposite ends of the box.

I confess I was nervous both about providing Stu with a commentary and the fact that we were facing Hearts as so many times before I’d watched Hibs play them off the park and lose. I was conscious of the fact that we’d only lost one league game prior to kick off whereas Hearts were not at their best having sold a couple of their best players. For our part we had the mesmeric skills of Franck Sauzee and Russell Latapy together with the ‘up and at ‘em Mixu Paatelainen.

The home stands were full and noisy whereas Hearts fans were practising an early form of social distancing. Later they would offer excuse after excuse as to why they didn’t fill the South Stand but at the end of the day, that’s all they were, excuses.

The Hearts line up included Gordon Durie and they had Darren Jackson on the bench. Both had played for Hibs in the past and had been popular but as we all know, popularity goes out of the window on such occasions and both players attracted all sorts of booing.

When the match got under way I started rattling off what was happening. Later, Stu would tell me his wife Linda said it was like being at the match as she listened on loudspeaker! Both sides started cautiously but inside the first ten minutes the visitors scored a trademark Hearts goal when a deflected cross fell nicely for Andy Kirk to stab the ball home. It was another lucky Hearts goal for me to try and forget.

The half wore on and Hearts looked pretty comfortable without really threatening again whilst Hibs just fell short with the final cross or pass. I was starting to worry and it was probably obvious to Stu but just as he was telling me we’d come good, we came good – twice! A ball into the area struck Pressley and fell at the feet of Mixu who smashed it home. I guess those few Hearts fans present would feel how I felt about their goal. Moments later, Zitelli delivered a cross into the box and the ball was headed into the air by a Hearts man. As it dropped, Ulrik Laursen climbed high to knock the ball down to Mixu who bundled it home. The noise was deafening as I cast a look along at Paul Mitchell who shrugged and continued his commentary.

The half time break was interesting as it allowed me to converse with Stu who begged me not to shout so loudly if we scored again. He asked nicely but it wasn’t a promise I could make.

Shooting towards the Famous Five stand, Hibs started brightly and within five or six minutes took a 3-1 lead. Cracking play in midfield ended with Latapy stroking a perfect pass into the path of David Zitelli who had gotten blind side of Presley. David shot, Niemi got something on it as he advanced but couldn’t stop the ball entering the net.

For the next twenty minutes Hibs were magnificent. They were toying with Hearts and no amount of fouling by them could stop Latapy and co. from dominating proceedings. Time for another goal, I suggested down the phone line and as if by magic another goal duly arrived. A ball from Latapy found John O’Neil wide right. John looked up, saw Mixu charging in to the area and played a slide rule ball to the big striker who steered his effort beyond the despairing Niemi. It was all too much for me! I burst through the door of the radio box and screamed my head off in celebration, grabbing the nearest person to me to do that ‘we’ve just scored’ thing. That’s how I first met Nicky who posts on the MB as o’connor’s strip.

Returning to the phone I was mildly chastised for leaving my post but all was forgotten when the majestic John O’Neil latched on to a ball into the box, stepped away from a couple of challenges and smashed the ball high into the net. It was a stunning finish and secured us a 5-1 lead. Minutes later Russell Latapy jinked his way past a couple of desperate lunges at the edge of the box, rolled the ball to Mixu who flicked it back to him and the wee magician fairly smashed a first time volley past Niemi. Most folk rightly concentrate of Russell’s part in that goal but credit must also go to Mixu who although built like a tank had the deftest of touches to set the chance up.

By this time the South Stand was close to empty as Hibs fans howled for a seventh and I reckon in going for that seventh Hibs left the door open a wee bit and Colin Cameron cashed in to make the final score 6-2.

Once he’d finished his summary for the BBC I had a chat with Paul Mitchell whom, I have to say, was the consummate professional in delivering his commentary and comments after having watched his team being totally humiliated.

In the years ahead I’d do a good few commentaries for Hibs TV and whilst I invariably enjoyed them and still miss them if truth be told, it’s the 6-2 one that will live with me forever.

Skol
21-04-2020, 07:51 PM
The disallowed goal was the catalyst that day. What a day if turned out to be

JeMeSouviens
21-04-2020, 07:53 PM
I was at the north end of the old stand (Hibees! stamp-stamp-stamp) for that one. I remember there was a blind guy and his pal was commentating for him. He was really professional sounding except for breaking into all out fan mode to berate the ref on occasion. :wink:

Some of the football Hibs played that evening (it was a daft 6pm ko on a Sunday) was breathtaking. I remember everyone leaving the ground on a massive collective high.

DaveF
21-04-2020, 07:54 PM
I burst through the door of the radio box and screamed my head off in celebration, grabbing the nearest person to me to do that ‘we’ve just scored’ thing. That’s how I first met Nicky who posts on the MB as o’connor’s strip.

:greengrin What an intro!

BILLYHIBS
21-04-2020, 08:50 PM
Brilliant Jonnyboy

Great memories

Just loved Latapy

Just_Jimmy
22-04-2020, 09:23 AM
Hibs fans cheering a hearts goal when Cameron scored must have killed them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

brog
22-04-2020, 09:42 AM
I was working in California & was heading out to play golf. I called my pal' s wife in London to get the latest score before I left. I got this long winded reply where she told me we were playing really well but had gone a goal down & were still behind just before half time. Finally she said it was ok we were now 3-1 up & just as i went to hang up, her son shouted it was now 4! I went off to golf very happy, shot a great round, for me, & was almost disappointed to come home & get the 6 2 result. Great day!!

blackpoolhibs
22-04-2020, 09:53 AM
What a night that was, even at 1-0 down i was convinced we'd still beat them. And as you say John, for 15-20 minutes, we played with them and took the piss time after time.

I was at the 7-0 game, but only as a young boy, and dont really remember much about it, but this game is etched on my memory as if it was yesterday. :thumbsup:

Love these how it felt threads John, and loved your commentary's too when i lived abroad.

And i've told you this before John, but Simon Brown should be taken out behind the stand and shot, is my favorite piece of commentary ever, and that was you. :top marks

Keith_M
22-04-2020, 10:31 AM
Thanks for cheering us all up, JB.

I still wish Hearts hadn't got a second, though....

The 90+2
22-04-2020, 10:35 AM
Hibs fans cheering a hearts goal when Cameron scored must have killed them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I was ragin’.
It should have been seven or eight.

JeMeSouviens
22-04-2020, 11:11 AM
What a night that was, even at 1-0 down i was convinced we'd still beat them. And as you say John, for 15-20 minutes, we played with them and took the piss time after time.

I was at the 7-0 game, but only as a young boy, and dont really remember much about it, but this game is etched on my memory as if it was yesterday. :thumbsup:

Love these how it felt threads John, and loved your commentary's too when i lived abroad.

And i've told you this before John, but Simon Brown should be taken out behind the stand and shot, is my favorite piece of commentary ever, and that was you. :top marks

Tiny? The Gaz & Deano derby?

JeMeSouviens
22-04-2020, 11:12 AM
I was ragin’.
It should have been seven or eight.

Niemi had a really good game. Same for the millenium derby. An average keeper would've shipped at least a couple more goals in both those games.

Green Man
22-04-2020, 02:22 PM
Somehow, despite having supported Hibs since I was a boy, that was my first derby, at the age of 20. Couldn’t have picked a better one! I stayed in Glasgow at the time so drove through, and got home just in time to watch the highlights on TV.

I remember earlier in that season, we had lost an early goal to Dundee before going on to beat them 5-1. At half time in the derby, I turned to the guy behind me and said “I was never worried, Dundee scored first and look what happened against them.” I never expected the game to turn out quite as well!

hibee_girl
22-04-2020, 02:59 PM
I spent most of the game worried about my auntie who was 9 months pregnant at the time :greengrin

We sat in the middle of the old east stand and it was a bit mental! :greengrin

Craigmount Hibs
22-04-2020, 04:40 PM
It was the very early days of Hibs.net and I’d been asked by Stu Crowther to give a commentary on the Hibs v Hearts game. In the years ahead, commentaries would be via internet radio but back then it involved me giving my commentary down a phone line so that Stu could let those high speed fingers of his type on his keyboard: the words ending up on the Hibs List. The date was 22nd October 2000 and the events that unfolded are now written into Hibernian folklore. Knowing I was going to be commentating I did a bit of homework regarding stats etc., but the truth is those stats basically disappeared as soon as the match kicked off.

It was the old West Stand and I was ensconced inside the old radio commentary box at the very back. I shared the space with Paul Mitchell who was doing the BBC commentary. Paul’s a good lad, for a Jambo but we respected each other’s space and sat at opposite ends of the box.

I confess I was nervous both about providing Stu with a commentary and the fact that we were facing Hearts as so many times before I’d watched Hibs play them off the park and lose. I was conscious of the fact that we’d only lost one league game prior to kick off whereas Hearts were not at their best having sold a couple of their best players. For our part we had the mesmeric skills of Franck Sauzee and Russell Latapy together with the ‘up and at ‘em Mixu Paatelainen.

The home stands were full and noisy whereas Hearts fans were practising an early form of social distancing. Later they would offer excuse after excuse as to why they didn’t fill the South Stand but at the end of the day, that’s all they were, excuses.

The Hearts line up included Gordon Durie and they had Darren Jackson on the bench. Both had played for Hibs in the past and had been popular but as we all know, popularity goes out of the window on such occasions and both players attracted all sorts of booing.

When the match got under way I started rattling off what was happening. Later, Stu would tell me his wife Linda said it was like being at the match as she listened on loudspeaker! Both sides started cautiously but inside the first ten minutes the visitors scored a trademark Hearts goal when a deflected cross fell nicely for Andy Kirk to stab the ball home. It was another lucky Hearts goal for me to try and forget.

The half wore on and Hearts looked pretty comfortable without really threatening again whilst Hibs just fell short with the final cross or pass. I was starting to worry and it was probably obvious to Stu but just as he was telling me we’d come good, we came good – twice! A ball into the area struck Pressley and fell at the feet of Mixu who smashed it home. I guess those few Hearts fans present would feel how I felt about their goal. Moments later, Zitelli delivered a cross into the box and the ball was headed into the air by a Hearts man. As it dropped, Ulrik Laursen climbed high to knock the ball down to Mixu who bundled it home. The noise was deafening as I cast a look along at Paul Mitchell who shrugged and continued his commentary.

The half time break was interesting as it allowed me to converse with Stu who begged me not to shout so loudly if we scored again. He asked nicely but it wasn’t a promise I could make.

Shooting towards the Famous Five stand, Hibs started brightly and within five or six minutes took a 3-1 lead. Cracking play in midfield ended with Latapy stroking a perfect pass into the path of David Zitelli who had gotten blind side of Presley. David shot, Niemi got something on it as he advanced but couldn’t stop the ball entering the net.

For the next twenty minutes Hibs were magnificent. They were toying with Hearts and no amount of fouling by them could stop Latapy and co. from dominating proceedings. Time for another goal, I suggested down the phone line and as if by magic another goal duly arrived. A ball from Latapy found John O’Neil wide right. John looked up, saw Mixu charging in to the area and played a slide rule ball to the big striker who steered his effort beyond the despairing Niemi. It was all too much for me! I burst through the door of the radio box and screamed my head off in celebration, grabbing the nearest person to me to do that ‘we’ve just scored’ thing. That’s how I first met Nicky who posts on the MB as o’connor’s strip.

Returning to the phone I was mildly chastised for leaving my post but all was forgotten when the majestic John O’Neil latched on to a ball into the box, stepped away from a couple of challenges and smashed the ball high into the net. It was a stunning finish and secured us a 5-1 lead. Minutes later Russell Latapy jinked his way past a couple of desperate lunges at the edge of the box, rolled the ball to Mixu who flicked it back to him and the wee magician fairly smashed a first time volley past Niemi. Most folk rightly concentrate of Russell’s part in that goal but credit must also go to Mixu who although built like a tank had the deftest of touches to set the chance up.

By this time the South Stand was close to empty as Hibs fans howled for a seventh and I reckon in going for that seventh Hibs left the door open a wee bit and Colin Cameron cashed in to make the final score 6-2.

Once he’d finished his summary for the BBC I had a chat with Paul Mitchell whom, I have to say, was the consummate professional in delivering his commentary and comments after having watched his team being totally humiliated.

In the years ahead I’d do a good few commentaries for Hibs TV and whilst I invariably enjoyed them and still miss them if truth be told, it’s the 6-2 one that will live with me forever.

Brilliant read,thanks. One of the best games ever, for every Hibby that was lucky enough to be there that night.

Killiehibbie
22-04-2020, 05:23 PM
Thanks Jonny, just as I remember it.

The 90+2
22-04-2020, 05:25 PM
Niemi had a really good game. Same for the millenium derby. An average keeper would've shipped at least a couple more goals in both those games.

Aye he was brilliant that night. As usual tbf.

SmashinGlass
22-04-2020, 06:29 PM
Aye he was brilliant that night. As usual tbf.

What a night! I vividly remember that whole weekend well, as the evening before was the infamous pigs bead el clasico. Remember when Russel scored the sixth, I ended up a full 2 or 3 rows from my seat in the east. Absolute carnage

blackpoolhibs
22-04-2020, 06:51 PM

Naw, it was a reserve game against Celtic i think, in the days when John would do the commentaries on all sorts of games.

It must have been good to be etched on my mind for so long.:greengrin

Jonnyboy
22-04-2020, 08:04 PM

Naw, it was a reserve game against Celtic i think, in the days when John would do the commentaries on all sorts of games.

It must have been good to be etched on my mind for so long.:greengrin

It was a reserve game against Hearts at ER. Cesnauskas tried a speculative effort from over 25 yards and it sailed past Brown which prompted me to say the keeper should be taken round the back of the stand and shot :greengrin

We lost the game 2-1 and I was not best pleased, you could say :faf: