PDA

View Full Version : Closed doors games pay per view

gerry
21-04-2020, 02:36 PM
Would it be possible to play the remaining games closed doors tested footballers and staff and pay per view the season tickets get a code to watch and anyone else want to support and watch just pay ? Is it possible ? I’m no expert

lord bunberry
21-04-2020, 02:40 PM
Would it be possible to play the remaining games closed doors tested footballers and staff and pay per view the season tickets get a code to watch and anyone else want to support and watch just pay ? Is it possible ? I’m no expert
I think that inevitably what will happen at the start of next season. I doubt strongly that it will happen to finish this season.

Solonleith1
21-04-2020, 02:43 PM
It's the only way the season would get close to starting on time but I honestly think they wont want any reason that could tempt folk into congregating. You also have to wonder about football players too. They aren't immune to this. The likes of scott allan and likely others will be self isolating and would rightly question why they are being put at risk

Billy Whizz
21-04-2020, 02:45 PM
I think that inevitably what will happen at the start of next season. I doubt strongly that it will happen to finish this season.

Did Nicola not say yesterday that this was unlikely. She mentioned that groups of people would go to houses to watch the games
Although I presume, she can’t control English premier league coming into our homes

Sir David Gray
21-04-2020, 02:47 PM
Did Nicola not say yesterday that this was unlikely. She mentioned that groups of people would go to houses to watch the games
Although I presume, she can’t control English premier league coming into our homes

Yep she did and no she can't although she is part of COBRA meetings with the UK Government so there may be a UK-wide agreement for things like this.

lord bunberry
21-04-2020, 02:49 PM
It's the only way the season would get close to starting on time but I honestly think they wont want any reason that could tempt folk into congregating. You also have to wonder about football players too. They aren't immune to this. The likes of scott allan and likely others will be self isolating and would rightly question why they are being put at risk
I think the lockdown will be over by then and most people will be back at work. There’s no way offices and factories are going to be able to practice social distancing, people will have started using public transport as well. I don’t think the risk to footballers will be much greater.

lord bunberry
21-04-2020, 02:51 PM
I think that there will have to be an element of trust. If trust is abused then it may be shut down again.

Joe6-2
21-04-2020, 03:19 PM

I don’t see it working, what if a player or more than one test positive, or a member of staff? Start games with players short? Referee missing? Manager missing.
I just don’t see how this is possible

ian cruise
21-04-2020, 03:28 PM

I am not sure it's a great argument to not do it as folk who would congregate to watch games are likely those who are doing so anyway.

What is a strong argument against is the needs to protect players and associated staff. Some players such as Allan are high risk and some may need to isolate for other reasons, some foreign players may have returned home, so if clubs can't play their strongest eleven there's an argument there. Plus first time a player tests positive after a game the whole idea is in disarray.

Don't see this being a solution unfortunately.

ancient hibee
21-04-2020, 06:06 PM
Players are all over the world and won't be rushing to climb on planes to earn money instead of sitting at home to be paid it.
Perhaps UEFA officials don't get their brown envelopes if the finals aren't televised.

bod
21-04-2020, 08:47 PM
Don’t think it’s fair on the clubs that host the ugly sisters missing out on the sold out away crowd that the clubs keep going on about

NAE NOOKIE
21-04-2020, 08:58 PM
If it comes to this I want a huge bank of speakers all around the stadium linked to everybody's Alexa or whatever in their homes, so that when I scream 'WHAT THE FFFF WAS THAT MARCIANO !!!' at the telly it's heard all around the stadium. This is the future :greengrin

Marco G
21-04-2020, 09:13 PM
"The Dutch Football Association “intends not to continue” the Eredivisie season after the national government extended a ban on major events until 1 September because of coronavirus." From BBC website, plus mentions Dutch PM would not support behind closed doors matches either during that time.

Think same has happened in Ireland also.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

lucky
22-04-2020, 10:07 AM
Don’t think it’s fair on the clubs that host the ugly sisters missing out on the sold out away crowd that the clubs keep going on about

But surely away fans could purchase the game online like a home fan?

Itsnoteasy
22-04-2020, 10:20 AM
Holland has to be the closest league to call
Top 2 only separated by goal difference & third place only 6 behind.

HH81
22-04-2020, 10:26 AM
I'd pay for hibs games from home. Would help my recovery from the Corona virus ha.

Yorkshire HFC
22-04-2020, 10:48 AM
I'd pay for hibs games from home. Would help my recovery from the Corona virus ha.

I wonder if this will affect stadium capacity - until there's a vaccine, Easter Road might be cut to a limit of 10k - or 5k?

blackpoolhibs
22-04-2020, 11:00 AM
I wonder if this will affect stadium capacity - until there's a vaccine, Easter Road might be cut to a limit of 10k - or 5k?

I cant see there being any fans in stadiums until a vaccine is found. Football fans have never been the best behaved, and asking them to stay apart or not do something that needs stewards or police to intervene is never going to happen.

Even things like celebrating a goal, the emotion takes over and sometimes its an out of body experience, the consequences are just too awful to imagine.

This is why i dont think fans will be allowed back until it is 100% safe, and thats a long way off.:boo hoo:

Sir David Gray
22-04-2020, 11:33 AM

I don't think there will be ANY fans inside a Scottish football stadium until a vaccine is found.

WhileTheChief..
22-04-2020, 11:42 AM
I don’t think there will be any football until a vaccine is found.

There’s absolutely no way that players can play, even behind closed doors.

It can take between 2-5 days for any symptoms to show so how do you ensure every player is virus free?

You can’t. Which means they can’t start playing football until this can be guaranteed.

CockneyRebel
22-04-2020, 11:45 AM
I don't think there will be ANY fans inside a Scottish football stadium until a vaccine is found.I read today that the British scientists are beginning tests on a vaccine with volunteers tomorrow but likely to be at least a six month exercise. I would think if that timeline is anywhere near the mark then it puts the kibosh on any available vaccine until near the end of this year so 2020/2021 season would have to be a non starter. I reckon too many folk are mixing up what they hope for with what is most likely.

Sir David Gray
22-04-2020, 11:46 AM
I read today that the British scientists are beginning tests on a vaccine with volunteers tomorrow but likely to be at least a six month exercise. I would think if that timeline is anywhere near the mark then it puts the kibosh on any available vaccine this year so 2020/2021 season would have to be a non starter. I reckon too many folk are mixing up what they hope for with what is most likely.

I would agree.

I think it's wishful thinking (understandable) to think that football will be played in Scotland at the moment.

lord bunberry
22-04-2020, 12:05 PM
I read today that the British scientists are beginning tests on a vaccine with volunteers tomorrow but likely to be at least a six month exercise. I would think if that timeline is anywhere near the mark then it puts the kibosh on any available vaccine until near the end of this year so 2020/2021 season would have to be a non starter. I reckon too many folk are mixing up what they hope for with what is most likely.
I’m mot saying you’re wrong, but if everything you say is correct then people won’t be able to go back to work before a vaccine is found, people won’t be able to use public transport in any numbers. By August we’d hopefully be at a point where the virus has been contained. There’s no way the lockdown can continue as long as August as it would become worse than the virus itself. I think the season will be able to start on time, but behind closed doors.

CockneyRebel
22-04-2020, 12:18 PM
I’m mot saying you’re wrong, but if everything you say is correct then people won’t be able to go back to work before a vaccine is found, people won’t be able to use public transport in any numbers. By August we’d hopefully be at a point where the virus has been contained. There’s no way the lockdown can continue as long as August as it would become worse than the virus itself. I think the season will be able to start on time, but behind closed doors.

Worse than dying?

The sky has never been so full of pie.

lord bunberry
22-04-2020, 12:37 PM
Worse than dying?

The sky has never been so full of pie.
The extreme poverty a 6 month lockdown would cause would lead to deaths. I would suggest it’s pie in the sky to think a lockdown could be maintained for that long. Already countries are slowly exiting lockdown and as long as there isn’t a second wave the lockdown will continue to be eased. Whether that means football will be permitted, nobody knows. There’s already talk of a traffic light system being put in place via an app on your phone, this would allow some people to return to work.

silverhibee
22-04-2020, 12:46 PM

Players would have to go in to quarantine to even play games behind closed doors, you couldn't expect players to be tested every few weeks when NHS staff can't get tested, coaches managers referee officials and everyone else involved would also need testing and go into quarantine as well, all these people would not be able to be with there families for gods knows how long, also is it not a rule that games that are played need medical staff and ambulance on sight for games, loads of doctors would have to attend games as well, we won't be playing football for a good bit no matter what folk say, Nicola has made that quite clear, mass gatherings are a thing of the past, showing football games on tv would only encourage folk to do that, our FM won't be allowing football to be played in Scotland for a long time.

PeeJay
22-04-2020, 12:49 PM
We are considering a return to "closed-doors" games here in Germany. A major issue however - and I fail to see how it isn't the same in the UK - is the clear need for testing of players, squads, playing staff, coaching staff, and even media staff and so on who would be involved in any games being played and broadcast. One estimation here for the Bundesliga I, II & III as issued by the DFL (source: https://gfx.sueddeutsche.de/pdf/Medizinisches_Konzept_Training.pdf) is that players (and all the others involved) would need to be tested - this would involve testing before the team restarts training as a team, testing prior to games on a weekly basis (or 2 tests if midweek games are involved) - we have generally 9 games left to play over here (Germany) so that entails at least ten tests per player, coach. etc ... we then end up with a overall amount of roughly 20,000 tests required! This figure will be different in the UK ...

We have to look after the health and safety of everyone involved in the game and this includes the above-mentioned.

So, the question then arises why should one sector of the community be given special preference and be tested on a regular basis, using up valuable time and testing resources? Wouldn't such tests be better made with hospital staff, carers etc? The situation with testing is quite poor in the UK as far as I can see from here - on what basis are games supposed to start up again UK wide? What about the players and their health? Have any of the UK football authorities drawn up a similar concept?

I can't see how football can be back up and running any time soon ...

CockneyRebel
22-04-2020, 12:57 PM
The extreme poverty a 6 month lockdown would cause would lead to deaths. I would suggest it’s pie in the sky to think a lockdown could be maintained for that long. Already countries are slowly exiting lockdown and as long as there isn’t a second wave the lockdown will continue to be eased. Whether that means football will be permitted, nobody knows. There’s already talk of a traffic light system being put in place via an app on your phone, this would allow some people to return to work.

More than the virus? All of your post rests on the predictability of the behavior of this virus which we don't have. I agree re the huge economic problems we would/will incur but we need people to be there to rebuild that economy. This could all blow over in a few months and it is right to prepare for such an eventuality in an ongoing manner but you have to balance the trauma of lockdown against the risks of underestimating the consequences of relaxing restrictions too early.
I am usually a glass half full geezer but most of the medical professionals are far from confident of where this is going and I look to them more than any FAs or politicians.

CockneyRebel
22-04-2020, 01:01 PM
We are considering a return to "closed-doors" games here in Germany. A major issue however - and I fail to see how it isn't the same in the UK - is the clear need for testing of players, squads, playing staff, coaching staff, and even media staff and so on who would be involved in any games being played and broadcast. One estimation here for the Bundesliga I, II & III as issued by the DFL (source: https://gfx.sueddeutsche.de/pdf/Medizinisches_Konzept_Training.pdf) is that players (and all the others involved) would need to be tested - this would involve testing before the team restarts training as a team, testing prior to games on a weekly basis (or 2 tests if midweek games are involved) - we have generally 9 games left to play over here (Germany) so that entails at least ten tests per player, coach. etc ... we then end up with a overall amount of roughly 20,000 tests required! This figure will be different in the UK ...

We have to look after the health and safety of everyone involved in the game and this includes the above-mentioned.

So, the question then arises why should one sector of the community be given special preference and be tested on a regular basis, using up valuable time and testing resources? Wouldn't such tests be better made with hospital staff, carers etc? The situation with testing is quite poor in the UK as far as I can see from here - on what basis are games supposed to start up again UK wide? What about the players and their health? Have any of the UK football authorities drawn up a similar concept?

Thanks for this post and I hope many people read it and pass on your comments pal. Stay safe.

Badabing
22-04-2020, 01:01 PM

First of all let me say that I don't think anybody knows for sure where we'll be come August. The chief executive of my company, who is a shrewd cookie, has geared as many of us to work from home as is possible and has told us that she thinks things will be this way for quite some time. There may be a gradual lifting of the lockdown, as is happening in some countries, to allow some people to return to work where they can do that in relative safety and which would not threaten over extending the NHS.

I am very sceptical that the UK Government and certainly the Scottish Government would view playing matches behind closed doors as a step which would not pose a risk to the NHS. I think that they are all too aware of very tribal nature of scottish football and televising the games could result in carnage and create a greater risk of a second wave assuming things have calmed down by August.

It's just an opinion but I'll be very surprised there is a ball kicked this year in Scotland.

coldingham hibs
22-04-2020, 01:06 PM

I’ve been thinking about pay per view but how would you address the issue of who watches the game. We currently have 3 season tickets but I would only require one season ticket for a code that would allow all 3 of us to watch the game. The club would lose a substantial amount of income if pay per view were introduced.

Yorkshire HFC
22-04-2020, 01:08 PM
It's just an opinion but I'll be very surprised there is a ball kicked this year in Scotland.[/QUOTE]

I think there's a high chance that you could be right.

Imagine if you'd said a couple of weeks ago that there would be no sport in the world for the rest of the year - crazy how quickly things have happened.

CockneyRebel
22-04-2020, 01:12 PM
First of all let me say that I don't think anybody knows for sure where we'll be come August. The chief executive of my company, who is a shrewd cookie, has geared as many of us to work from home as is possible and has told us that she thinks things will be this way for quite some time. There may be a gradual lifting of the lockdown, as is happening in some countries, to allow some people to return to work where they can do that in relative safety and which would not threaten over extending the NHS.

I am very sceptical that the UK Government and certainly the Scottish Government would view playing matches behind closed doors as a step which would not pose a risk to the NHS. I think that they are all too aware of very tribal nature of scottish football and televising the games could result in carnage and create a greater risk of a second wave assuming things have calmed down by August.

It's just an opinion but I'll be very surprised there is a ball kicked this year in Scotland.

Fair comment.

silverhibee
22-04-2020, 01:14 PM

That's why it won't be up and running anytime soon, we can't even test our NHS staff and care workers, there would be riots on the streets if football was prioritised over other things and they were being tested before more deserving people, as I said above, anyone who would be involved in closed door games would have to be quarantined in hotels until they try to end the season, it's just not going to happen.

WhileTheChief..
22-04-2020, 01:23 PM
The players would have to be tested and confirmed virus free which could take up to 5 days.

So test them all on a Sunday, confirm virus free on the Friday and play on Saturday? Then repeat each week until the season’s over?

Never gonna happen.

Onion
22-04-2020, 01:31 PM
The players would have to be tested and confirmed virus free which could take up to 5 days.

So test them all on a Sunday, confirm virus free on the Friday and play on Saturday? Then repeat each week until the season’s over?

Never gonna happen.

Any test is only good for the day of the test. Unless you have strict quarantine, any player could be infected the following day. We need a 15 min test for so many reasons. Waiting any length of time for results is a problem.

where'stheslope
22-04-2020, 01:33 PM
Years ago we had power strikes and businesses had to work through it on 3 shift patterns using generators for power when the area was blacked out!
By doing this you can do the social distancing by having less people in the workplace at any one time.
Office workers can still work from home during this time, or a skeleton staff on the same shift pattern in offices.
Its not ideal but it has worked before, the biggest problem is transporting these people to their workplace on public transport!
This would at least get businesses up and running in some form till a vaccine is found.

Alfred E Newman
22-04-2020, 01:41 PM
Reading this is as depressing as watching the BBC news.

lord bunberry
22-04-2020, 01:50 PM

These are all very valid points when you’re talking about starting up football next month. What we’re talking about is football in 3/4 months time. If the situation with the virus is the same as it is now there’s no chance of football, if the situation has improved and there’s not as much pressure on the nhs or testing then there’s a chance it could happen.

lord bunberry
22-04-2020, 01:52 PM
That's why it won't be up and running anytime soon, we can't even test our NHS staff and care workers, there would be riots on the streets if football was prioritised over other things and they were being tested before more deserving people, as I said above, anyone who would be involved in closed door games would have to be quarantined in hotels until they try to end the season, it's just not going to happen.
Football definitely shouldn’t be prioritised over the nhs staff. As I said, if the pressure has eased and restrictions have been relaxed then it’s possible.

lord bunberry
22-04-2020, 01:56 PM
More than the virus? All of your post rests on the predictability of the behavior of this virus which we don't have. I agree re the huge economic problems we would/will incur but we need people to be there to rebuild that economy. This could all blow over in a few months and it is right to prepare for such an eventuality in an ongoing manner but you have to balance the trauma of lockdown against the risks of underestimating the consequences of relaxing restrictions too early.
I am usually a glass half full geezer but most of the medical professionals are far from confident of where this is going and I look to them more than any FAs or politicians.
I agree with that and everything depends on the virus being successfully contained to even consider football again.

LeithMike
22-04-2020, 01:59 PM
I’m mot saying you’re wrong, but if everything you say is correct then people won’t be able to go back to work before a vaccine is found, people won’t be able to use public transport in any numbers. By August we’d hopefully be at a point where the virus has been contained. There’s no way the lockdown can continue as long as August as it would become worse than the virus itself. I think the season will be able to start on time, but behind closed doors.I agree with this. The lockdown will have to be relaxed in some ways in the next couple of months. Otherwise, the economic implications are going to be huge and directly impact on life and death matters for a long time to come. We could end up with significant food shortages never mind anything else.

One wonders if we'll come to a point where we can go about our business providing we wre social distancing and wearing masks.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
22-04-2020, 02:02 PM
I agree with this. The lockdown will have to be relaxed in some ways in the next couple of months. Otherwise, the economic implications are going to be huge and directly impact on life and death matters for a long time to come. We could end up with significant food shortages never mind anything else.

One wonders if we'll come to a point where we can go about our business providing we wre social distancing and wearing masks.

I think that’s what will have to happen.

SquashedFrogg
22-04-2020, 02:02 PM
Reading this is as depressing as watching the BBC news.

BBC news is awful. Would avoid at all costs.

PeeJay
22-04-2020, 03:14 PM
These are all very valid points when you’re talking about starting up football next month. What we’re talking about is football in 3/4 months time. If the situation with the virus is the same as it is now there’s no chance of football, if the situation has improved and there’s not as much pressure on the nhs or testing then there’s a chance it could happen.

We are a long way from being out of the woods IMO - I think we have to be extremely wary of relaxing the lockdown - this thing could well come back to hit us all much harder than it is currently doing ...

Alfred E Newman
22-04-2020, 03:37 PM

I am more or less avoiding all news at the moment.
I'll start watching when the media and the politicians have something positive to say.

Billy Whizz
22-04-2020, 06:15 PM
Saw this on Sky Sports, showing how many people you’d need for a closed doors game
Worth a wee read

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11977089/football-after-coronavirus-how-many-people-do-you-need-for-a-match-to-go-ahead

Lago
22-04-2020, 07:33 PM
You wonder what they'll talk about when the virus is done & dusted?

macca70
22-04-2020, 08:14 PM
I agree with this. The lockdown will have to be relaxed in some ways in the next couple of months. Otherwise, the economic implications are going to be huge and directly impact on life and death matters for a long time to come. We could end up with significant food shortages never mind anything else.

Folk that can work from home I’d expect will be working from home for a while eg office staff they may allow folk back to work that cannot work from home eg tradesman etc but have social distancing, face masks etc in play.

I cant see sporting events happening for a long time yet, maybe not even this year even behind closed doors. The problem the government are going to have is when they relax the rules for specific industries or sports the industries and sports still in lockdown will feel hard done to and insist on relaxation of the rules for them too.

If they allow football to start up behind closed doors, every sport is going to want to start up again so where do they draw the line. And at what level do you draw the line, if professional football can start up does that mean all amateur football can get going again, there’s no crowds at those games.

Alfred E Newman
22-04-2020, 08:20 PM
You wonder what they'll talk about when the virus is done & dusted?

Brexit.😩

hibby6270
23-04-2020, 12:48 PM
This might even be worth a new thread but posting here because it’s been mentioned.

Just been watching Nicola Sturgeon‘s latest update and without her being specific on dates, it seems highly unlikely that any ‘mass gatherings’ like football matches will take place this year with spectators.

Her words were along the lines of if social distancing measures were to be kept going (concerts were the example she used), how could it be expected that an audience be seated 2 metres apart. It just wasn’t feasible. So, for the concert example, substitute that with a football crowd - never going to happen!!

Buckle up folks. If you think things are bad now after 4 or 5 weeks, what will we all be thinking or doing in 4 or 5 months time. I’d suggest pretty much the same as we’re doing now - unfortunately.:rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
23-04-2020, 12:52 PM
This might even be worth a new thread but posting here because it’s been mentioned.

Just been watching Nicola Sturgeon‘s latest update and without her being specific on dates, it seems highly unlikely that any ‘mass gatherings’ like football matches will take place this year with spectators.

Her words were along the lines of if social distancing measures were to be kept going (concerts were the example she used), how could it be expected that an audience be seated 2 metres apart. It just wasn’t feasible. So, for the concert example, substitute that with a football crowd - never going to happen!!

Buckle up folks. If you think things are bad now after 4 or 5 weeks, what will we all be thinking or doing in 4 or 5 months time. I’d suggest pretty much the same as we’re doing now - unfortunately.:rolleyes:

We won't be attending football matches until either a vaccine or an effective drug that prevents people from dying from this illness gets developed and made available to the general public.

I think anyone looking at it sensibly will realise that is quite likely to be around a year away.

Since90+2
23-04-2020, 02:00 PM
Bundesliga apparently returning on 9th May - behind closed doors obviously.

green&left
23-04-2020, 03:27 PM

Fans aren't happy at it. Few joint statements etc released regarding it.

PeeJay
23-04-2020, 03:31 PM

This is subject to approval, I think? It is not a done deal yet

hibbyfraelibby
23-04-2020, 03:43 PM

They might want to but Merkel has still to allow it.

Saint Hibee
23-04-2020, 03:54 PM
It's perfectly possible for footballers to practice social distancing during a match; James Tavernier managed to stay at least two yards away from Anthony Stokes throughout the 2016 Scottish Cup final.

supermcginn
23-04-2020, 04:01 PM
They might want to but Merkel has still to allow it.

Constantin ecker on BBC just said it's widely expected to be allowed by government and two state premiers in Germany have said there will no be objections at the meeting on April 30.

supermcginn
23-04-2020, 04:05 PM
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/52379825

hibbyfraelibby
23-04-2020, 04:09 PM
Constantin ecker on BBC just said it's widely expected to be allowed by government and two state premiers in Germany have said there will no be objections at the meeting on April 30.

Widely expected and actually granted are two different things. As stated Merkel has yet to green light it

supermcginn
23-04-2020, 04:10 PM
Widely expected and actually granted are two different things. As stated Merkel has yet to green light it

Dunno why you seem so against it. It's happening if you like it or not it seems.

hibbyfraelibby
23-04-2020, 04:26 PM
Correct. As at this time I do. Nothing has been agreed. The earliest it might be agreed is in a weeks time so factually Budesliga football has an aspiration to resume on 9th May not permission.

In the meantime Anne Budge has an aspiration to reconstruct the leagues to save Hearts and two other clubs who have a vote have said they expect it to happen...but the vote hadn't happened and the fat lady with the veto hasn't voted yet.

Billy Whizz
23-04-2020, 04:39 PM
Dunno why you seem so against it. It's happening if you like it or not it seems.

Do the German fans want it?

hibbyfraelibby
23-04-2020, 05:29 PM

There are 13 DFL sides on the verge of insolvency driving this. Despite what others have claimed only the DFL Chairman has publicly state that they are "ready to restart on 9th May if it is later we will be ready again". Meanwhile in the real world the Geman Federal Government has banned large events until at least 24th October. The only way round it is to potentially play behind closed door but having to test over 300 people every time between training sessions and before games requiring 20,000 tests be carried out and it takes a couple of days for test results to come through during which time someone may catch the virus. Those 20k tests would have to be diverted from those in nursing facilities (SPD scientific advisor Karl Lauterach)

German scientific advisers are pouring scorn on the idea and it needs the 16 Lande governments to vote on what numbers are allowed at events. Bit like our SPFL 11-1 majority principle it will take just one or two to vote no and the debate is over.

Sir David Gray
23-04-2020, 06:23 PM

The government has to approve it.

They're HOPING to return on 9th May.

Corstorphine Hibby
23-04-2020, 06:56 PM

Why does it only seem to be football that is so desperate to resume ?

HH81
23-04-2020, 07:07 PM

NRL in Australia want to start soon too.

NRL clubs will be able to resume training from May 4 as the competition charges towards its planned May 28 restart.

Key points:
The league says it has the green light from government to resume competition on May 28.

Billy Whizz
23-04-2020, 07:30 PM

Because unlike Retail stores, furlough rebates from the Government, don’t even come close to covering their wages

Corstorphine Hibby
23-04-2020, 08:57 PM
Because unlike Retail stores, furlough rebates from the Government, don’t even come close to covering their wages

I was meaning in comparison to other sports. There doesn't seem to be the same rabidness in rugby or horse racing for example to kickstart their respective seasons.

silverhibee
24-04-2020, 12:16 PM

The same could be said for F1 drivers tennis players and other big sports, but it only seems to be football that should be brought back, there is no outcry from anyone else in the sporting industry urging things to start up again, UEFA/FIFA just aren't giving two hoots about how many folk will die as long as the saviour that is football is brought back and saves everyone from this horrible virus.

Billy Whizz
24-04-2020, 01:53 PM
The same could be said for F1 drivers tennis players and other big sports, but it only seems to be football that should be brought back, there is no outcry from anyone else in the sporting industry urging things to start up again, UEFA/FIFA just aren't giving two hoots about how many folk will die as long as the saviour that is football is brought back and saves everyone from this horrible virus.

I’m with you on that, and don’t favour closed door games

CockneyRebel
24-04-2020, 01:58 PM

Not according to the supporters associations replies (in the same reports).

Phil MaGlass
25-04-2020, 07:21 AM

This, 100%

PaulSmith
25-04-2020, 07:45 AM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5529018/premier-league-games-back-tv-within-weeks/

EPL possibly back in a few weeks as well.

Badabing
25-04-2020, 07:52 AM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5529018/premier-league-games-back-tv-within-weeks/

This appears to be the only paper reporting this and when you consider the source.......

Greenworld
25-04-2020, 07:55 AM

EPL possibly back in a few weeks as well.This is laughable how on earth can they given the current lock down. What message would that send out to everyone else?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Paisley Hibby
25-04-2020, 08:31 AM

It's stopped being news. Just peddling government propaganda interspersed with stories of plucky Brits displaying the Dunkirk spirit 🙄

mjhibby
25-04-2020, 08:42 AM
Fantasy stuff. Yet another nonsense headline to give folk false hope. The logistics of it are huge. Plus until every nurse, doctor,care worker has ppe then there will be no closed door football. Will be forgotten within a couple of days.

PaulSmith
25-04-2020, 09:04 AM
Fantasy stuff. Yet another nonsense headline to give folk false hope. The logistics of it are huge. Plus until every nurse, doctor,care worker has ppe then there will b no coded door football. Will be forgotten within a couple of days.

I think if there's an appetite within football for this to happen then the Govt will do everything to accommodate. The Govt will know that as the weather improves the natives become even more restless, so they'll chuck a bone (live football) out to the millions of football fans to soften the blow and to ensure further compliance to the phased lockdown approach.

Sir David Gray
25-04-2020, 09:19 AM

Typically for a Sun "exclusive" they give absolutely no timeline of how long "within weeks" actually is.

There's no chance British football will be played anytime soon and by that I mean at least in the next 2 months.

Antifa Hibs
25-04-2020, 09:20 AM
I think if there's an appetite within football for this to happen then the Govt will do everything to accommodate. The Govt will know that as the weather improves the natives become even more restless, so they'll chuck a bone (live football) out to the millions of football fans to soften the blow and to ensure further compliance to the phased lockdown approach.

Outside football and those that profit from it (bookies, boozers and broadcasters) I don't think anyone really gives a **** about it TBH, including governments. We can't even visit the dentist and it amazes me people think politicians up here and down south are concerned about the state of St Mirren and Crystal Palace and when we can screen matches again. Test kits for keyworkers went online yesterday and "sold out" after 2 minutes but let's send 5000 to the premier league clubs. Madness.

Screen football to keep us in doors then they might aswell just open up Wimbledon, Silverstone and get The Open back on.

Dmas
25-04-2020, 09:30 AM

Still in very early stages of discussing a proposal to put to the German government as well, latest I’ve read is virologists are asking all players to be wearing face masks, can’t see that being welcomed by individual players, I think the May 9th Start is highly ambitious even with the 20,000 test kits already set aside for the restart

CockneyRebel
25-04-2020, 09:36 AM
Typically for a Sun "exclusive" they give absolutely no timeline of how long "within weeks" actually is.

There's no chance British football will be played anytime soon and by that I mean at least in the next 2 months.

Possibly some confusion or misquoting going on here (from the S*n - surely not!). I would imagine that FAs globally would be assessing how long it would take to mobilise and get playing closed door games (or any other alternative that gets suggested) once they get the nod and then coming up with a time frame which can be moved forward until needed. This could then be misinterpreted (deliberately or otherwise) by headline seekers who announce it as the new hopeful start date rather than a start up time frame.

Alternatively, the above may be a load of tosh and the FAs really think this can be achieved or simply a PR/propaganda exercise to put pressure on the governments.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-04-2020, 09:43 AM
So... players health insurance. Is it effectively null and void whilst folks are not virus free?
Can’t see players back before testing is extended and general population can go back about their business.

Billy Whizz
25-04-2020, 09:48 AM

Probably so sky/BT can recharge us for Football

Keith_M
25-04-2020, 10:00 AM

Moenchengladbach have already found a solution to the lack of Fans at closed doors games...

https://www.bardown.com/polopoly_fs/1.1466410!/fileimage/httpImage/image.png_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/borussia-monchengladbach-fans.png

I understand Leeann is considering it for the Famous Five Lower...

:duck:

Colr
25-04-2020, 10:06 AM
Denmark is now allowing sports to be played but only 2 people at a time.

I suggest we follow suite and finish up the league as a 3-and-in competition.

Gloucester Hibs
25-04-2020, 10:13 AM

Remaining games played out via longbangers, could work 🤔

I propose Stevie Mallan represents Hibs!

Billy Whizz
25-04-2020, 10:14 AM

So presume only the likes of Tennis/Badminton etc

Keith_M
25-04-2020, 10:22 AM
So presume only the likes of Tennis/Badminton etc

When I was a kid, I had a lot of games of 'long shooting' (on very small pitches) where there was only one on each side and you took turns having shots at the other goals from inside your own penalty area, with the guy on the other side being the goalie.

1 v 1

Don't knock it, it could work.

Billy Whizz
25-04-2020, 10:30 AM
When I was a kid, I had a lot of games of 'long shooting' (on very small pitches) where there was only one on each side and you took turns having shots at the other goals from inside your own penalty area, with the guy on the other side being the goalie.

1 v 1

Played that game as well when I was a kid

FilipinoHibs
25-04-2020, 10:33 AM
Thanks for this post and I hope many people read it and pass on your comments pal. Stay safe.

There is going to a second wave starting in the autumn to. No football till 21/22 season.

Sir David Gray
25-04-2020, 11:14 AM
Probably so sky/BT can recharge us for Football

Indeed. Sky must be losing a fortune with all the paused sports subscriptions.

hibbyfraelibby
25-04-2020, 11:19 AM
Indeed. Sky must be losing a fortune with all the paused sports subscriptions.

To be honest if this does Sky in I will have no qyalms. Their money has skewed the sport in favour of the few and the bubble theg have created needs popping. Back to realistic wages and expectations living within the sports means.

easty
25-04-2020, 11:24 AM

1 v 1

Long Bangers. Great game on a 5 a side pitch. Only allowed to shoot from your own half. No allowed in the box.

Peevemor
25-04-2020, 12:05 PM
Long Bangers. Great game on a 5 a side pitch. Only allowed to shoot from your own half. No allowed in the box.Or sometimes a 2 touch maximum rule was applied.

There was also "barry" where you went either side of the goalposts (without nets), ie. in front and behind, and tried to hit the bar. Again 2 touches maximum.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
25-04-2020, 12:21 PM
If it comes to this I want a huge bank of speakers all around the stadium linked to everybody's Alexa or whatever in their homes, so that when I scream 'WHAT THE FFFF WAS THAT MARCIANO !!!' at the telly it's heard all around the stadium. This is the future :greengrin

:greengrin

supermcginn
25-04-2020, 03:01 PM
Polish league given approval by their prime minister to restart games on may 29th.

RoYO!
25-04-2020, 03:25 PM
Just test all the players and team members, lock them in gleneagles for 4 weeks of golf, training and 5 star food and facilities and play a game every 3 days. Easy peasy! No cars allowed. A proper lock in! Done.

What's next to solve?

PaulSmith
25-04-2020, 09:18 PM
There is going to a second wave starting in the autumn to. No football till 21/22 season.

Posted as an absolute matter of fact lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

H18 SFR
25-04-2020, 09:38 PM
Posted as an absolute matter of fact lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keep reading this kind of hysteria relating to football. First it was no finishing the season, then starting 2020/21 late. Then no 20/21. Then no 21/22, just getting ready in my head for no 22/23 with the football resuming 23/24.

PaulSmith
27-04-2020, 07:19 AM
The Times running with a story which is basically “Govt tells football to get back in business to help lift spirits of the nation”

gerry
04-06-2020, 02:15 AM
Looks like football will be pay per view for a bit

where'stheslope
04-06-2020, 10:12 AM
Looks like football will be pay per view for a bit
I find it funny how we finished the season early so as lower leagues could be paid money!
Then we bicker about changing the leagues to suit Hertz?
Then we don't want anything to hamper the new SKY deal?
Now it seems SKY will not have a problem with streaming of all the games???
So, who or what was rattling the cages of power to make the season end as quick?
I feel every team has been let down badly by the SPFL/SFA with their claims and counter claims of impending doom!!!!

Since90+2
04-06-2020, 10:16 AM

We had people on this site telling us no football will be played this summer , leagues will never finish ect and here we are.

nonshinyfinish
04-06-2020, 10:20 AM
We had people on this site telling us no football will be played this summer , leagues will never finish ect and here we are.

In the current circumstances, anyone claiming with certainty that something will or won't happen is most probably talking s****.

04Sauzee
09-06-2020, 09:58 AM
Althoug not a fan of Joel Sked hoe does come up with some good ideas and some bizarre ideas how clubs could make football a bit more appealing behind closed doors

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/sport-opinion/how-spfl-clubs-could-make-streaming-immersive-experience-fans-virtual-fanzone-field-interviews-2878271

Craig_in_Prague
09-06-2020, 12:21 PM
Czech league allowing fans back (fully) for the start of new season.

Current season is being played out with 100-200 fans being allowed in (assume its sponsors or select fans somehow).

Viva_Palmeiras
09-06-2020, 05:29 PM
To be honest if this does Sky in I will have no qyalms. Their money has skewed the sport in favour of the few and the bubble theg have created needs popping. Back to realistic wages and expectations living within the sports means.

Absolutely this. But it’s all relative the bigger leagues will still attract proportionately higher earnings. They created a monster which now has a dependency on the broadcasters.

WhileTheChief..
09-06-2020, 05:32 PM
Do we know if there will be any way to watch lower league teams like Alloa, Arbroath or Hearts?

Iggy Pope
09-06-2020, 05:45 PM
Or sometimes a 2 touch maximum rule was applied.

There was also "barry" where you went either side of the goalposts (without nets), ie. in front and behind, and tried to hit the bar. Again 2 touches maximum.

Double if you managed a first time header returning your opponents attempt.
We also used to play ‘benchy’ chipping it in to the gaps in the back of park benches.

All that after a 5-11 or longer still a 10-21. A bit like that Motherwell game!