PDA

View Full Version : Si ferry meets

Squealing pig
20-04-2020, 06:53 PM
James Mcpake video uploaded nearly 2 1/2 hours plenty funny stories plenty Hibs content 😃

calumhibee1
20-04-2020, 08:11 PM
One thing I do like about Si Ferry’s interviews is the players are open with him. Honest interview. Had tried to erase a lot of what was discussed from my memory but interesting nonetheless

The 90+2
20-04-2020, 08:16 PM
Belter of a interview.

.Sean.
20-04-2020, 08:26 PM
Can’t find it on apple podcasts?

lord bunberry
20-04-2020, 08:34 PM
It’s on YouTube.

BILLYHIBS
20-04-2020, 08:35 PM
Try YouTube

Squealing pig
20-04-2020, 08:37 PM
Terry butcher stuff n maurice malpas seems like they were no good for hibs , but yeah great interview, highly recommended

Danderhall Hibs
20-04-2020, 09:05 PM

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/open-goal-football-show/id1248742174#episodeGuid=tag%3Aaudioboom.com%2C202 0-04-20%3A%2Fposts%2F7561592

Sorry mate - can’t seem to be able to paste a link in when on my phone.

The 90+2
20-04-2020, 09:25 PM

It’s on the purple podcasts app iPhone mate?

The 90+2
20-04-2020, 09:26 PM
Terry butcher stuff n maurice malpas seems like they were no good for hibs , but yeah great interview, highly recommended

**** **** ****. Nae good guy.

HendoDelivered
20-04-2020, 10:56 PM
The text message thing about the key was absolutely mind boggling. Who is this “big Dave” he was referring to?

Ozyhibby
20-04-2020, 11:16 PM
Never rated him as a defender. Don’t think I’ve seen a defender go to ground as often as McPake although Porteous looks like he might run him close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 90+2
21-04-2020, 12:23 AM
The text message thing about the key was absolutely mind boggling. Who is this “big Dave” he was referring to?

The coach/scout we had that lived in his car. Marsila?

HendoDelivered
21-04-2020, 08:53 AM
The coach/scout we had that lived in his car. Marsila?

Thats the one. Chicken tikki marsella. Forgot all about him!

HendoDelivered
21-04-2020, 09:38 AM
Thats the one. Chicken tikki marsella. Forgot all about him!

In fact, I don’t think it was... Marsella’s first name was Steve IIRC.

So, who was this Dave guy?

BILLYHIBS
21-04-2020, 09:50 AM
Anyone else feel the love for HIBS?

How do you get subtitles on YouTube?

S4uzee
21-04-2020, 10:40 AM
In fact, I don’t think it was... Marsella’s first name was Steve IIRC.

So, who was this Dave guy?

Think he was a psychologist brought in by Butcher. Used him at ICT

PISTOL1875
21-04-2020, 11:28 AM
Seems McPake bought into the club big time.

wished Si had asked him about what GOC had said about Billy Brown telling Gary Locke the hibs tactics.

PISTOL1875
21-04-2020, 11:31 AM
What he said about Maurice Malpas as well..............

S4uzee
21-04-2020, 11:59 AM

wished Si had asked him about what GOC had said about Billy Brown telling Gary Locke the hibs tactics.
I wish he’d asked that too

JimBHibees
21-04-2020, 02:01 PM

Was that true?

Since452
21-04-2020, 02:11 PM
I thought the thing about Griffiths decking Brown was a myth. There you go

PISTOL1875
21-04-2020, 02:54 PM
Was that true?

Bang on the money it was true..

The 90+2
21-04-2020, 02:59 PM
Bang on the money it was true..

What was said?

Coco Bryce
21-04-2020, 03:08 PM
Did he also tell him we would capitulate in the 2nd half?

Let's be honest it wouldn't be hard to suss out Fenlons tactics after the 1st minute.

DH1875
21-04-2020, 03:50 PM

What does he have to say about it?

DH1875
21-04-2020, 03:51 PM
Was that true?

No idea how true it is but GOC says it happened in his interview.

JimBHibees
21-04-2020, 04:12 PM
What he said about Maurice Malpas as well..............

That was a bit of a shocker to be honest. Liked the interview came over well and obviously enjoyed being at the club. If he was fit the last 10 weeks of that season when our centre backs were shocking is incredible he wasn't involved.

JimBHibees
21-04-2020, 04:13 PM
No idea how true it is but GOC says it happened in his interview.

Havent seen that one but Garry is a bit of a slaver.

Since452
21-04-2020, 04:20 PM
What does he have to say about it?

Basically that Griffiths took offence to Fenlon/Brown ending a training session early. Apparently McPake didn't see it but after some words were exchanged Leigh threw Brown to the floor then stormed out East Mains. Fenlon sent McPake to go and pick him up and ended up driving him home. Sounds like handbags but extremely weak management by Fenlon. Could you imagine Ferguson letting that go?

No matter how good Griffiths was that should have been him done at the club. Lucky boy.

Broken Gnome
21-04-2020, 05:14 PM

Did the papers not say Griffiths decked Fenlon rather than Brown? Sure it was the Mail that ran it as an exclusive.

mcohibs
21-04-2020, 05:48 PM
Basically that Griffiths took offence to Fenlon/Brown ending a training session early. Apparently McPake didn't see it but after some words were exchanged Leigh threw Brown to the floor then stormed out East Mains. Fenlon sent McPake to go and pick him up and ended up driving him home. Sounds like handbags but extremely weak management by Fenlon. Could you imagine Ferguson letting that go?

No matter how good Griffiths was that should have been him done at the club. Lucky boy.

I'd have given Griffiths a pay rise for flooring that fud tbh

MWHIBBIES
21-04-2020, 05:50 PM

He's a weapons grade slaver

JimBHibees
21-04-2020, 05:59 PM

Why Griffiths was best player at the club by a mile. Brown is a hertz fud

S4uzee
21-04-2020, 08:59 PM
Did the papers not say Griffiths decked Fenlon rather than Brown? Sure it was the Mail that ran it as an exclusive.

How would the papers pick up the story. Is it a player who goes to them secretly?

PISTOL1875
21-04-2020, 09:28 PM
What was said?

Gary Locke said when he was on Open Goal that they found out the Hibs team in the week leading up to the final on Saturday....

PISTOL1875
21-04-2020, 09:32 PM
He's a weapons grade slaver

GOC was spot on when he said that they found out the Hibs team.........

MWHIBBIES
21-04-2020, 09:35 PM
GOC was spot on when he said that they found out the Hibs team.........

The old broken clock. Still not sure I believe it and doubt it would've mattered.

The 90+2
21-04-2020, 09:45 PM
Gary Locke said when he was on Open Goal that they found out the Hibs team in the week leading up to the final on Saturday....

Cheers Cabs 👍

The 90+2
21-04-2020, 09:47 PM
The old broken clock. Still not sure I believe it and doubt it would've mattered.

Of course it would have mattered, if it happened, which I wouldn’t actually doubt would have.

Gaz is a tit but BB is on a different planet on that stage.

BILLYHIBS
21-04-2020, 10:00 PM
Story I heard was the HIBS team was announced on the Friday then on the day of the game Claros came in from being out in the cold

Might be wrong but that would scupper any Hearts spy in the camp theory

As McPake said in the interview it was an extremely poor performance on the day so disnae matter anyway

Oh it was a foul but not in the box interesting he said that Thomson thought so as well but the Lino called it in the box

NITK

Broken Gnome
21-04-2020, 10:00 PM
How would the papers pick up the story. Is it a player who goes to them secretly?

I remember it came out at nighttime and was pulled the next day - aftermath is here, think it just came from the usual 'source' https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/fenlon-dismisses-head-butt-claims-1.1074390

PPZPOL
23-04-2020, 12:20 PM
Really enjoyed that. To me, it highlights how well Leeann has done to get us where we are now. A mess when she came in is an understatement and probably a club at the lowest point in our history. Suppose some will say the only way was up but I think she deserves credit for changing things around.

BILLYHIBS
23-04-2020, 02:44 PM
The latest one with Tam Cowan is a hoot well worth a watch in lockdown

JimBHibees
23-04-2020, 02:47 PM
Story I heard was the HIBS team was announced on the Friday then on the day of the game Claros came in from being out in the cold

Might be wrong but that would scupper any Hearts spy in the camp theory

As McPake said in the interview it was an extremely poor performance on the day so disnae matter anyway

Oh it was a foul but not in the box interesting he said that Thomson thought so as well but the Lino called it in the box

NITK

Don't believe Thomsons account he had a perfect view and a better one than the linesman, he was covering his ass saying that.

HendoDelivered
02-05-2020, 12:03 AM
Sparky on next this monday. Should be a cracker!

Yorkshire HFC
02-05-2020, 06:19 AM
I've only recently discovered these and have really enjoyed listening to them.

I think I've done most of the Hibs ones and the ones with Barry Bannon, Ian Black and Jackie McNamara are all good. They're certainly done in a way that gives you a good insight into how the players think, and you get a bit of info on what really happens within the clubs, what motivates transfers etc.

SideBurns
02-05-2020, 06:27 AM

In my view, it was complete nonsense. I spoke to Billy Brown a few years ago (in Spain, after the 2016 cup win actually) at some length. He told me he was desperate to win that game - he'd grown up a Hibby, and had the chance to become a Hibs legend. There's no danger he was a spy in the camp. I have to say he didn't hide his affection for Hearts, and I had no problem with that; it made up a great part of his coaching career and he was with Jeffries when they won in '98. But it was obvious to me that not winning with Hibs in 2012 was a matter of great personal and professional regret.

Whatever your views on Brown (and there seems to be a consensus on here which likely reflects the general feeling amongst Hibs supporters!), the suggestion that he would deliberately sabotage his own opportunity of a Scottish Cup winner's medal (and the subsequent legendary status with his boyhood team) seems completely far-fetched. O'Connor would be better looking at his own performance that day.

Sparky's interview will be interesting, for sure; will see if he is asked about that game and especially the training ground story.

Sammy7nil
02-05-2020, 06:37 AM
In my view, it was complete nonsense. I spoke to Billy Brown a few years ago (in Spain, after the 2016 cup win actually) at some length. He told me he was desperate to win that game - he'd grown up a Hibby, and had the chance to become a Hibs legend. There's no danger he was a spy in the camp. I have to say he didn't hide his affection for Hearts, and I had no problem with that; it made up a great part of his coaching career and he was with Jeffries when they won in '98. But it was obvious to me that not winning with Hibs in 2012 was a matter of great personal and professional regret.

Whatever your views on Brown (and there seems to be a consensus on here which likely reflects the general feeling amongst Hibs supporters!), the suggestion that he would deliberately sabotage his own opportunity of a Scottish Cup winner's medal (and the subsequent legendary status with his boyhood team) seems completely far-fetched. O'Connor would be better looking at his own performance that day.

Sparky's interview will be interesting, for sure; will see if he is asked about that game and especially the training ground story.

I worked with Billy's wife years ago I can confirm they were Hibby's she was delighted when Falkirk thumped Hearts i think 5or6-0 when he and Jeffries were at Falkirk

SideBurns
02-05-2020, 06:58 AM
I worked with Billy's wife years ago I can confirm they were Hibby's she was delighted when Falkirk thumped Hearts i think 5or6-0 when he and Jeffries were at Falkirk

Remember that game well, Falkirk ran riot! Yes, he could talk all night about the Hibs teams he watched in the 60s; him and Jeffries were friends from childhood but definitely from different camps when it came to fitba allegiances.

I can understand the temptation to believe a conspiracy theory about a guy who is something of a hate figure amongst Hibs fans. But the truth is the tactics, team performance, and refereeing sealed our fate that day. I stayed in the same hotel and drank in the same pub in Spain as Brown; there were a couple of Huns who used the boozer too - not bad lads as it happened, and I was happy to chat with them given the events of 21.5.16!

Renfrew_Hibby
02-05-2020, 09:13 AM
The latest one with Tam Cowan is a hoot well worth a watch in lockdown

I agree but I was shocked at how Tam has aged!
I remember a chubby guy with a boyish face.

BILLYHIBS
02-05-2020, 09:38 AM

:agree:

See Billy Brown often at Easter Road with his grand bairn although I am led to believe he also attends Tiny

As James McPake says the whole team were pish that day they let the fans down badly they also brought Claros into the team at the last minute

Billy Brown told Fenlon what would happen playing that formation against Hearts wide men and it happened

Not Billy Browns fault imho

SideBurns
02-05-2020, 10:02 AM
:agree:

See Billy Brown often at Easter Road with his grand bairn although I am led to believe he also attends Tiny

As James McPake says the whole team were pish that day they let the fans down badly they also brought Claros into the team at the last minute

Billy Brown told Fenlon what would happen playing that formation against Hearts wide men and it happened

Not Billy Browns fault imho

Aye, he said the same to me about his advice to Fenlon. He thought wee Pat had taken it on board, but then when the team and tactics were announced Pat seemed to have completely ignored it. Tbh, I wasn't sure if Billy was trying to deflect blame given he was talking to a Hibby, but certainly he was correct that the narrow formation just played into their hands.

Fenlon did seem out of his depth and got it wrong on too many big occasions, but comes across as a good guy who has retained his affection for Hibs (sure he was at the 2016 final, and gave a great interview before it). There isn't much animosity towards Pat. Brown, on the other hand, has been demonised by his Hearts connections and the occasionally resurfacing 'spy' rumour which appears to accepted as fact by some Hibbies.

BILLYHIBS
02-05-2020, 10:45 AM
Aye, he said the same to me about his advice to Fenlon. He thought wee Pat had taken it on board, but then when the team and tactics were announced Pat seemed to have completely ignored it. Tbh, I wasn't sure if Billy was trying to deflect blame given he was talking to a Hibby, but certainly he was correct that the narrow formation just played into their hands.

Fenlon did seem out of his depth and got it wrong on too many big occasions, but comes across as a good guy who has retained his affection for Hibs (sure he was at the 2016 final, and gave a great interview before it). There isn't much animosity towards Pat. Brown, on the other hand, has been demonised by his Hearts connections and the occasionally resurfacing 'spy' rumour which appears to accepted as fact by some Hibbies.
I know someone close to the family who tells me he is neither Hearts or HIBS but has affection for both but has been spotted roond Musselburgh taking his dug for a walk with his Hearts Managers coat on 😃

MWHIBBIES
02-05-2020, 11:08 AM

Fenlon also got it right on many big occassions. got to 2 finals, beat Celtic, beat Hearts a few times. I agree he probably was out of his depth but Hibs were a bit of a disaster at that time too. Good guy who was passionate about the club. Had he finished his contract we wouldn't have been relegated IMO.

Since452
02-05-2020, 11:12 AM
Fenlon also got it right on many big occassions. got to 2 finals, beat Celtic, beat Hearts a few times. I agree he probably was out of his depth but Hibs were a bit of a disaster at that time too. Good guy who was passionate about the club. Had he finished his contract we wouldn't have been relegated IMO.

He got it right more than he got it wrong it's just a shame the ones he got wrong were complete disasters. He had 180 minutes to become a Hibs legend. Pity for him. Like you say though Hibs were a bit of a shambles of a club at that time. I hold no grudges against Pat at all.

SideBurns
02-05-2020, 11:19 AM

Yes I agree with this. That daft LC QF did for him - the straw that broke the camel's back. I was sad for him at the time, as he's obviously a very decent guy but thought it was the right decision. I didn't foresee the disaster which quickly followed, of course!!

The 90+2
02-05-2020, 11:21 AM
Yes I agree with this. That daft LC QF did for him - the straw that broke the camel's back. I was sad for him at the time, as he's obviously a very decent guy but thought it was the right decision. I didn't foresee the disaster which quickly followed, of course!!

I’m sure he decided to quit before that match and was leaving after regardless? We played well that night until they scored a wonder goal and we collapsed/confidence went.

Liam89
02-05-2020, 11:28 AM
I’m sure he decided to quit before that match and was leaving after regardless? We played well that night until they scored a wonder goal and we collapsed/confidence went.

Yep. From what I remember from that era, we would often outplay Hearts for large spells of the game but unable to convert and eventually collapse.

SideBurns
02-05-2020, 11:28 AM

Is that right? I thought he was sacked after the result.

It was an incredibly one-sided game up to the point they scored, and the 2nd half wasn't much different. We just couldnae put the ball in the net.

The 90+2
02-05-2020, 11:36 AM
Is that right? I thought he was sacked after the result.

It was an incredibly one-sided game up to the point they scored, and the 2nd half wasn't much different. We just couldnae put the ball in the net.

I thought he quit because of the result but no, he handed his resignation in after we lost two late goals against Aberdeen at the weekend.

Their goalie was unplayable that night. We should have legitimately been three up before they scored.

The 90+2
02-05-2020, 11:37 AM
Yep. From what I remember from that era, we would often outplay Hearts for large spells of the game but unable to convert and eventually collapse.

Getting goals ruled out for sod all and scoring but the linesman saying it didn’t cross the line didn’t help either 👍

Since452
02-05-2020, 11:45 AM
Pat Fenlon is probably the most well liked unsuccessful manager I can remember. I had a lot of time for him when he was with us. Was nice that he was in with the Hibs fans on 21/5/16. Wonder what he's doing these days.

SideBurns
02-05-2020, 11:53 AM
Pat Fenlon is probably the most well liked unsuccessful manager I can remember. I had a lot of time for him when he was with us. Was nice that he was in with the Hibs fans on 21/5/16. Wonder what he's doing these days.

When we knocked them out the cup in 2012, I felt almost as happy for Pat as I did for myself.

Almost. But not quite 😁.

MWHIBBIES
02-05-2020, 12:39 PM

Unsuccessful here maybe but his 8 winners medals and 2 runners up medals as a manager isnt a bad record at all. 10 trophies as a player as well.

Just_Jimmy
02-05-2020, 01:21 PM
Unsuccessful here maybe but his 8 winners medals and 2 runners up medals as a manager isnt a bad record at all. 10 trophies as a player as well.And 2 finals and Europe with the *****st Hibs team ever.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Since452
02-05-2020, 01:45 PM
And 2 finals and Europe with the *****st Hibs team ever.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

One of which was with waifs and strays brought in to try and keep us up after Calderwood had left a **** show.