PDA

View Full Version : Hibs in Europe - Videoton

Mixu62
18-04-2020, 04:45 AM
Cracking watch. What an under-rated player Evans was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCyh3g5bAE0 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCyh3g5bAE0)

Frazerbob
18-04-2020, 12:42 PM
Great watch. My first European game. I remember when Jim White walked through the East Terrace from the gantry. He was getting pelters. Then before recording his show opening comments he trurned round to the fans and motioned to start singing. He then recorded the piece you see at the start of that clip.

bod
18-04-2020, 02:51 PM
good evans was a regular headline in the Saturday pink

HibbyAndy
18-04-2020, 03:06 PM
Always rated Evans

erin go bragh
19-04-2020, 12:25 AM
Great watch. My first European game. I remember when Jim White walked through the East Terrace from the gantry. He was getting pelters. Then before recording his show opening comments he trurned round to the fans and motioned to start singing. He then recorded the piece you see at the start of that clip.
When he motioned to the fans to start singing. The crowd started singing “ Jim White ,Jim White gtf “
I’m sure he had a board that said applause on it .

FilipinoHibs
19-04-2020, 02:24 AM
Great game was there. Atmosphere was fantastic at big games at old ER. Glory Glory was played as teams came on and crowd actually joined in. Changed days

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-04-2020, 09:39 AM
Not purist football at it's best, but Gorams' ability to kick from box to box was a handy tactic at times.

O'Rourke3
19-04-2020, 01:11 PM
No idea this existed. First time I've seen any of the second half. Left at half time to go to the Playhouse and see The Eurythmics One and only time I've left before a final whistle.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

judas
19-04-2020, 02:19 PM
Cracking watch. What an under-rated player Evans was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCyh3g5bAE0 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCyh3g5bAE0)

I remember that era well, but I remember thinking Evans was a below average player and largely ineffective. Not underrated at all. Alex Miller certainly liked him though.

BroxburnHibee
19-04-2020, 04:26 PM
Not purist football at it's best, but Gorams' ability to kick from box to box was a handy tactic at times.

It was a refreshing change after Roughies pathetic attempts at getting it past the halfway line :greengrin

Killiehibbie
19-04-2020, 05:13 PM
Nice to see a young not so sullied Goram.

Sammy7nil
19-04-2020, 07:33 PM
I remember that era well, but I remember thinking Evans was a below average player and largely ineffective. Not underrated at all. Alex Miller certainly liked him though.

Granted he was no Messi but certainly not below average i am sure you and I could come up with a long list of Hibs players who offered far less than Gareth

lord bunberry
19-04-2020, 07:40 PM
Granted he was no Messi but certainly not below average i am sure you and I could come up with a long list of Hibs players who offered far less than Gareth
Agreed. I’ve had this debate before with someone, I really like Evans.

DaveF
19-04-2020, 07:46 PM
Evans was an average player but he had great spirit and work ethic to make the most of his chance in the game and he did well for us.

He certainly played well in that game and bagged a goal in the return. My first trip abroad!

https://www.google.com/search?q=videoton+v+hibs&oq=videoton+v+hibs&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l3.14434j0j7&client=ms-android-huawei&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#

Peevemor
19-04-2020, 07:46 PM

Evans wasn't the best finisher but his positional sense, workrate and speed meant he was important to our team. He created space for others and was pretty good on the ball meaning he won us loads of free kicks.

IMO he was fairly similar to Martin Boyle, although not quite as good.

BILLYHIBS
19-04-2020, 07:49 PM
Graham Mitchell was a very good signing for HIBS

IIRC the second leg was even better :greengrin

Pretty sure Videoton had been to the UEFA Cup Final ( 1984-85 ) not long before we played them and there were never any mugs in that competition

Gloucester Hibs
19-04-2020, 08:11 PM
Evans was a player I liked at the time but when you look back at his goalscoring record it’s utterly woeful, something like 1 in 12! I guess he had other guys playing alongside him who took that burden. Did score 2 in a fantastic 3-2 comeback against Dundee United though.

rossevenil
19-04-2020, 08:35 PM
Evans wasn't the best finisher but his positional sense, workrate and speed meant he was important to our team. He created space for others and was pretty good on the ball meaning he won us loads of free kicks.

IMO he was fairly similar to Martin Boyle, although not quite as good.

100% this one thing you always got from Gareth was maximum effort unlike some teams that would follow! Hearts almost won the league with an average team in 86 that had players giving their all,effort should never be underrated

Stanton Spence
19-04-2020, 08:38 PM
Graham Mitchell was a very good signing for HIBS

IIRC the second leg was even better :greengrin

Pretty sure Videoton had been to the UEFA Cup Final ( 1984-85 ) not long before we played them and there were never any mugs in that competitionThey got beat fae Real Madrid in the final in 85 Billy they were nae mugs

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

heretoday
19-04-2020, 08:45 PM
Evans, hard worker - like Kane. Legends?

I say yes.

greenpaper55
19-04-2020, 09:00 PM
Noticed Keith Houchen playing then, He cost Hibs £325,000 apparently . Some money even then. according to Wicki he got £65,000 as a signing on fee !

Peevemor
19-04-2020, 09:00 PM
Evans, hard worker - like Kane. Legends?

I say yes.

There was much more to Kane than hard work.

IberianHibernian
19-04-2020, 09:09 PM
Enjoyed watching that . Can remember being in old main stand . By chance was in Victoria Station in London a day or two before second leg and remember seeing Hibbies on their way ( in those days travel wasn`t a bus / tram to airport and 3-hour flight like now ) and a group of Aberdeen fans on their way to Austria ( probably same ferries and trains for most of the way ) .

heretoday
19-04-2020, 10:54 PM
There was much more to Kane than hard work.

I agree actually. And he played in the English Prem too. I'll never forget the goal he scored against Hearts at New Year at Tynie.

And he made the winner too with an overhead hump which fell at Archie's feet.

The rest was history!

Stanton Spence
19-04-2020, 11:18 PM
I agree actually. And he played in the English Prem too. I'll never forget the goal he scored against Hearts at New Year at Tynie.

The rest was history!Who did kano play with in the English prem mate? I wasn't aware he did. He obviously left us for Oldham and was on loan at Barnsley but was it them? I'm not having a dig just can't remember kano playing in the EPL

SideBurns
19-04-2020, 11:47 PM

The rest was history!

Kano was an intelligent footballer, could play several positions and was great in the air (the goal at Tynie you mention typified that; should point out it wasn't New Year though, Eddie May scored the winner at ER in that season's NY derby). I reckon he would've been a better player in the modern era with more emphasis on a passing game from the back; it would've suited his style. He lacked a bit of pace, but positional sense and decision making made up for that.

Enjoyed those highlights! I was in the North Enclosure that night, presume I watched Scotsport when I got home but can't remember seeing that footage before!

Mixu62
20-04-2020, 12:06 AM
When I say Evans was under rated, I mean he always seemed to be "second" striker. He always seemed to be down the pecking order, first behind Houchen, then Paul Wright, then Keith Wright and Darren Jackson. But he was always committed and as mentioned, his pace was an asset. In the game v Videoton in the OP, I noticed how many times he cleverly kept possession by just laying the ball off, or taking it into space. He was far from the "heidless chicken" some labelled him. And I still have fond memories of that 3-2 comeback v Dundee Utd!

SideBurns
20-04-2020, 07:07 AM
When I say Evans was under rated, I mean he always seemed to be "second" striker. He always seemed to be down the pecking order, first behind Houchen, then Paul Wright, then Keith Wright and Darren Jackson. But he was always committed and as mentioned, his pace was an asset. In the game v Videoton in the OP, I noticed how many times he cleverly kept possession by just laying the ball off, or taking it into space. He was far from the "heidless chicken" some labelled him. And I still have fond memories of that 3-2 comeback v Dundee Utd!

One of Evans's best games was the LC semi v the Huns in 1991, when he came on for an injured Mark McGraw. He gave their defence a torrid time. I know what you mean re him being a 'second striker' but think his lack of goals meant he was always going to be a good partner for a centre forward but never the main man himself. I'm sure Gareth was the type of player his striking partners really appreciated.

That comeback v Dundee Utd was superb; two nil down with about 15 mins to go shooting up the slope? The crowd went crazy at the winner!

heretoday
20-04-2020, 11:30 AM
Who did kano play with in the English prem mate? I wasn't aware he did. He obviously left us for Oldham and was on loan at Barnsley but was it them? I'm not having a dig just can't remember kano playing in the EPL

I think Oldham were in the prem as founder members in 1992 so I'm wrong. Mind you they won the old second division in 1991 with his assistance presumably.

Anyway, you can see I'm trying to big him up!

Stanton Spence
20-04-2020, 12:16 PM
I think Oldham were in the prem as founder members in 1992 so I'm wrong. Mind you they won the old second division in 1991 with his assistance presumably.

Anyway, you can see I'm trying to big him up!Cheers [emoji106]