PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant acting performances in films

lord bunberry
17-04-2020, 11:31 PM
The Oscars seem to dictate what we consider to be the best acting performances, but I’m not sure everyone will agree with that. What’s the best performance you’ve seen in a film.
I loved James Mcvoy in Filth and Tom Cruise in Interview with a vampire.

Vault Boy
17-04-2020, 11:41 PM
James McAvoy is great, thought he was outstanding in Split too.

I struggle to think of my all time favourite performance, but as far as big screen debuts go, Zack Gottsagen in The Peanut Butter Falcon is hard to top. Wonderful performance, a lot of improv too, a complete and utter natural.

Peevemor
17-04-2020, 11:42 PM
Edward Norton in American History X.

The_Exile
17-04-2020, 11:59 PM
Al Pacino in The Devils Advocate.

However, his portrayal of Michael Corleone is the benchmark for any actor.

lord bunberry
18-04-2020, 12:14 AM
He was outstanding in that film.

lord bunberry
18-04-2020, 12:16 AM
Ray Liotta in Goodfellas

Tyler Durden
18-04-2020, 06:16 AM

I’d watch any film with Ed Norton. Great in above film, plus Fight Club and many many others. Doesn’t appear so often these days, been meaning to check out the film he directed from last year. Something about Brooklyn in the title I think??

In recent years, I really love Leo DiCaprio as Rick Dalton in Once Upon a time in Hollywood. Wasn’t my favourite on first viewing but it gets better every watch IMO.

So many examples for Christian Bale too. Most recent examples being the Le Mans film and also his transformation into Dick Cheney for Vice.

Mon Dieu4
18-04-2020, 06:22 AM
People may laugh at this one but possibly my favourite acting performance of all time is Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone "I'm your huckleberry"

patch1875
18-04-2020, 07:17 AM
People may laugh at this one but possibly my favourite acting performance of all time is Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone "I'm your huckleberry"

No definitely a superb performance.

Hibrandenburg
18-04-2020, 07:24 AM
Jim Carrey in the Truman Show. I was convinced after watching it that it was Oscar winning stuff but of course he was snubbed by them because he's a mere comedian. Ed Harris did win best supporting actor which must have felt like a slap in the face for Carrey.

Eaststand
18-04-2020, 07:35 AM
Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York.

GGTTH

Captain Trips
18-04-2020, 07:38 AM
Anytime Jack Cassidy was in Columbo.

Pretty Boy
18-04-2020, 08:34 AM
Jim Carrey in the Truman Show. I was convinced after watching it that it was Oscar winning stuff but of course he was snubbed by them because he's a mere comedian. Ed Harris did win best supporting actor which must have felt like a slap in the face for Carrey.

Jim Carrey is a massively underrated actor. He is unbelievably good in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Josh Brolin in No Country for Old Men is one of my favourite performances. He was the absolute stand out in that film, he was nominated for a few awards but was completely snubbed at the Oscars. He was also brilliant in Milk the following year as well and got recognised as such for that.

Peevemor
18-04-2020, 08:43 AM

I agree about Jim Carrey in the Truman show, though another great performance in a similar film which is largely overlooked was by Matthew McConaughey in EdTV (great soundtrack too).

hibsbollah
18-04-2020, 08:51 AM
Scarlett Johansen. She owned the screen in both Marriage Story and JoJo Rabbit last year, I'm not sure why she gets snubbed for Oscars and BAFTAs, I suppose being beautiful and eye wateringly rich can distract from what a good actor she is.

DH1875
18-04-2020, 04:15 PM
Jim Carrey is a massively underrated actor. He is unbelievably good in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Josh Brolin in No Country for Old Men is one of my favourite performances. He was the absolute stand out in that film, he was nominated for a few awards but was completely snubbed at the Oscars. He was also brilliant in Milk the following year as well and got recognised as such for that.

Josh Brolin is now one of my favourite actors. Will watch anything he is in. Mental to think he's the same guy that was in the Goonies lol.

DH1875
18-04-2020, 04:17 PM
He was outstanding in that film.

Ever seen Primal fear? Brilliant in that.

Stick
18-04-2020, 05:20 PM
Rod Steiger in the Heat Of The Night. Gene Hackman in just about every film he was ever in. Brian cox been great for years, only started to be appreciated recently.

Hibrandenburg
18-04-2020, 05:28 PM

:agree:

Hibrandenburg
18-04-2020, 05:29 PM
I agree about Jim Carrey in the Truman show, though another great performance in a similar film which is largely overlooked was by Matthew McConaughey in EdTV (great soundtrack too).

Will have to check that out, it's somehow passed me by.

Mibbes Aye
18-04-2020, 06:41 PM
Donald Sutherland in 'Ordinary People', increasingly and desperately trying to keep his family together in crisis.

Ellen Burstyn in 'Requiem For A Dream', tragic, sad, poignant and bordering on physically painful to watch.

Peter Sellers in either 'Being There' or 'Dr Strangelove' - the first he plays an idiot savant and his timing and humour is perfect and deadpan, the second he plays three very different characters in the one film.

EH6 Hibby
18-04-2020, 08:21 PM
Will Smith in The Pursuit of Happyness. I thought he was brilliant.

frazeHFC
18-04-2020, 10:03 PM
Heath Ledger as the Joker was very good.

Just watched Silence of the Lambs for only the second time. Foster and Hopkins both excellent in that.

Hibee87
19-04-2020, 12:40 AM
The Oscars seem to dictate what we consider to be the best acting performances, but I’m not sure everyone will agree with that. What’s the best performance you’ve seen in a film.
I loved James Mcvoy in Filth and Tom Cruise in Interview with a vampire.

I remember putting something on Facebook (I think) or replying to a comment on Facebook coming out the cinema to filth saying that same. I knew he wouldn't win an Oscar as the film is not what gets Oscars, but he really was fantastic in that.

I think Leonardo DiCaprio is fantastic in almost every movie I've seen him in. He was good in Django unchained but Christophe waltz was amazing in both that and inglorious.

Eddie redmayne in theory of everything was imo exceptional

Remi malik in bohemian rhapsody was unbelievably brilliant

Tom hanks in Philadelphia.

Dustin Hoffman in rainman.

Kevin Spacey (is it ok to say this 😂) in American beauty

Ralph fiennes and Liam neeson in Schindler's list.

As a fan of the Harry potter books, Alan rickman nailed professor Snape and more.

Robin Williams in one hour photo, and also both him and Matt Damon (still can't say his name without think of team America) were great in good will hunting.

Brad Pitt and Juliette Lewis in Kalifornia. Juliette Lewis and woody harleson in natural born killers also.

Mixu62
20-04-2020, 01:53 AM
If I say "Heath Ledger as The Joker" will a big alarm got off, QI style for giving an obvious answer?!! :greengrin

Also Vigo Mortensen as Aragorn in LOTR trilogy.

HibernianJK
20-04-2020, 03:53 AM

McConaughey in Dallas Buyers Club is one of my favourite performances.

Hibby70
20-04-2020, 06:55 AM
Hayley Squires in I, Daniel Blake.

DH1875
20-04-2020, 08:15 AM
Garry Oldman is great in most things he's done. Fantastic in Leon, brilliant.

Mibbes Aye
20-04-2020, 08:59 AM
Garry Oldman is great in most things he's done. Fantastic in Leon, brilliant.

Good shout. Also great in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy but like you say, you are usually guaranteed a good performance from him in whatever role.

Greentinted
20-04-2020, 10:18 AM
Both Michael Sheen and Tim Spall as Clough and Taylor (The Damned United) were excellent performances.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-04-2020, 11:41 AM
Garry Oldman is great in most things he's done.

Celtic? What have we got to do with Celtic? 😉

Captain Trips
20-04-2020, 12:20 PM
Chunk in the Goonies was phenominal... Seriously though.

Clint Eastwood in the first Dirty Harry and in same movie Andy Robinson was excellent as The Scorpio.

Peevemor
20-04-2020, 12:24 PM
Chunk in the Goonies was phenominal... Seriously though.

Clint Eastwood in the first Dirty Harry and in same movie Andy Robinson was excellent as The Scorpio.

:confused: Sorry, I don't see it at alll.

Jones28
20-04-2020, 12:38 PM
Denzel Washington was brilliant in Flight and Training Day

rodhibs55
20-04-2020, 04:24 PM
John Malkovich is a really good baddy in a number of films.
Con Air and In the line of Fire are two.

Pretty Boy
20-04-2020, 05:01 PM
Rachel McAdams in Spotlight. She is also superb in Mean Girls which would go straight into my guilty pleasures top 10 list.

Captain Trips
20-04-2020, 05:07 PM
:confused: Sorry, I don't see it at alll.

I do though. :agree:

Peevemor
20-04-2020, 05:25 PM
I do though. :agree:I think his films are OK, but for me he always plays the same character.

Opinions eh...

Willis1875
20-04-2020, 05:31 PM
Al Pacino in Scent of a woman

EH6 Hibby
20-04-2020, 05:53 PM
Jennifer Anniston in Derailed and in Cake. I think she was for a long time, quite underrated due to her comedy background. She’s also brilliant in The Morning Show, but she’s getting acknowledged for that.

Captain Trips
20-04-2020, 07:00 PM
I think his films are OK, but for me he always plays the same character.

Opinions eh...

Well he certainly does in those films ;)

easty
21-04-2020, 08:18 AM
Denzel Washington was brilliant in Flight and Training Day

Usually do enjoy watching him, but I didn’t like him in Training Day. He was a bit too much.

easty
21-04-2020, 08:25 AM
Already mentioned but Ed Norton in American History X, and Will Smith in Pursuit of Happyness are great.

I think Jack Nicholson is brilliant in One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.

DH1875
21-04-2020, 08:44 AM
Usually do enjoy watching him, but I didn’t like him in Training Day. He was a bit too much.

Agreed. Only good thing about training day is Eva Mendes

Pretty Boy
21-04-2020, 09:26 AM
Agreed. Only good thing about training day is Eva Mendes

Agreed Training Day is awful.

If we started a thread on worst acting performances ever then the contributions of Snoop Dogg and Dr Dre to that film would be worthy of a mention.

Jones28
21-04-2020, 11:43 AM
Agreed Training Day is awful.

If we started a thread on worst acting performances ever then the contributions of Snoop Dogg and Dr Dre to that film would be worthy of a mention.

Not disagreeing about Dr dre and Snoop dogg but I liked the film overall. Washington played the complete **** of a character brilliantly.

heretoday
21-04-2020, 12:34 PM
Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie, Rain Man, Midnight Cowboy etc He doesn't just play himself all the time like many Hollywood guys.

He's a proper actor.

Smartie
21-04-2020, 01:11 PM
Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie, Rain Man, Midnight Cowboy etc He doesn't just play himself all the time like many Hollywood guys.

He's a proper actor.

You don't get many better than Dustin Hoffman.

Sean Penn in Carlito's Way was very good.

Haymaker
22-04-2020, 03:47 AM
Already mentioned but Ed Norton in American History X,

Ed Norton, along with Woody Harrelson, are both brilliant in The People Vs Larry Flint.

The_Exile
22-04-2020, 11:25 AM
Seeing Woody Harrelsons name reminded me of him and Wesley Snipes in White Men Can't Jump, the pair of them were absolutely brilliant in that. One of Stanley Kubricks favourite films.

EH6 Hibby
22-04-2020, 07:22 PM
Woody Harrelson is brilliant in the small roll he played in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri. It’s little more than a cameo, but I remember thinking he was really good. Was also going to mention Sam Rockwell in the same film earlier, but I’m sure he won the Best Supporting Actor for it.

LALthehibeeGAL
22-04-2020, 07:39 PM
Already mentioned but Ed Norton in American History X, and Will Smith in Pursuit of Happyness are great.

I think Jack Nicholson is brilliant in One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.

I have never actually seen One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest -

I think Jack Nicoholson is a great actor despite not being a big fan of a lot of the films he is in but one of my all time favourites is As Good as It Gets which I believe he won an oscar for I think he is great in that film along with Helen Hunt who often gets overlooked but also won an oscar for -

but I have to agree normally the films that win are absolutely awful I've tried to watch a few of the ones after hearing them winning and gawd some are dire!! opinions eh!

Lal :wink:

easty
22-04-2020, 10:25 PM
Woody Harrelson is brilliant in the small roll he played in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri. It’s little more than a cameo, but I remember thinking he was really good. Was also going to mention Sam Rockwell in the same film earlier, but I’m sure he won the Best Supporting Actor for it.

Sam Rockwell is class in Moon. Very good film.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-04-2020, 11:40 PM
Pete Mullen - Tyrannosaur, quite magnificent. Olivia Colman not far behind.

Hibby70
23-04-2020, 11:47 PM
Watched the Deer Hunter the other night. John Cazale is brilliant (amongst everyone else). He made 5 films and each one nominated for best picture Oscars. Some %. Taken too young.

The scene with him and DeNiro when he forgets his boots is quality.

Mibbes Aye
24-04-2020, 01:30 AM
Watched the Deer Hunter the other night. John Cazale is brilliant (amongst everyone else). He made 5 films and each one nominated for best picture Oscars. Some %. Taken too young.

I had one of those PBS-style documentaries recorded about John Cazale. When we upgraded to Sky Q I lost it and a bunch of other decent stuff and not been able to find any way of retrieving it - I still have the box, so any recommendations welcome.

He was a fantastic character actor, usually playing someone a bit weak, which takes real acting skills.

Mixu62
24-04-2020, 05:52 AM
Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill was brilliant.

Special mention too for Brad Douriff (sp) whose parts have been so diverse over the years. Loved him as the Doc in Deadwood.

lord bunberry
24-04-2020, 09:22 AM
Robin Williams was brilliant in Good morning Vietnam.

BS44
25-04-2020, 05:01 PM
Jeff Bridges Starman

Alan Ladd Shane

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-04-2020, 05:29 PM

I struggle to think of a better depiction of friendship than the bar scene where they are playing pool, sums it up perfectly.

Hibby70
25-04-2020, 07:57 PM
I struggle to think of a better depiction of friendship than the bar scene where they are playing pool, sums it up perfectly.

Or when they come back from the hunting trip and the wee piano solo.

It's amazing throughout, well worth another watch if you haven't seen it for years.

I was also going to add the Jaws scene when they are all on the boat talking about the USS Minneapolis.

Hibby70
25-04-2020, 08:01 PM
I had one of those PBS-style documentaries recorded about John Cazale. When we upgraded to Sky Q I lost it and a bunch of other decent stuff and not been able to find any way of retrieving it - I still have the box, so any recommendations welcome.

He was a fantastic character actor, usually playing someone a bit weak, which takes real acting skills.

The documentary was called "I knew it was you".

I'm off to hunt for it

lord bunberry
25-04-2020, 10:16 PM
The Departed is on tv now. One of my favourite films with many great acting performances, but I’d forgot just how good Jack Nicholson was in it. Decaprio should’ve won an Oscar for his performance. Does anyone know who won it that year?

Wilson
25-04-2020, 10:28 PM
The Departed is on tv now. One of my favourite films with many great acting performances, but I’d forgot just how good Jack Nicholson was in it. Decaprio should’ve won an Oscar for his performance. Does anyone know who won it that year?

Forest Whitaker for Last King of Scotland.

The Modfather
26-04-2020, 08:37 AM

Your namesake in Castaway 😀

Scouse Hibee
26-04-2020, 08:38 AM
Tom Hardy in Legend

lord bunberry
26-04-2020, 11:11 AM
Thanks. I’ve still not seen that film.

Dalianwanda
26-04-2020, 11:38 AM
Joaquin Phoenix in Walk The Line.......plus anything else he’s done

The_Exile
27-04-2020, 11:43 AM
River Phoenix in 'Running on Empty'. Big fan of River.

SteveHFC
28-04-2020, 12:38 AM
Bruno Ganz in Downfall.

heretoday
28-04-2020, 12:03 PM
I have never actually seen One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest -

I think Jack Nicoholson is a great actor despite not being a big fan of a lot of the films he is in but one of my all time favourites is As Good as It Gets which I believe he won an oscar for I think he is great in that film along with Helen Hunt who often gets overlooked but also won an oscar for -

but I have to agree normally the films that win are absolutely awful I've tried to watch a few of the ones after hearing them winning and gawd some are dire!! opinions eh!

Lal :wink:

Oh you must see Cuckoo's Nest. It's his best film. That and The Last Detail.

LALthehibeeGAL
28-04-2020, 12:17 PM

Oh you must see Cuckoo's Nest. It's his best film. That and The Last Detail.

I meant to watch/record The Departed the other night but forgot about it being on haven't seen that either and believe JN was immense in it. Need to try and do a bing watch of that and Cuckoo's Nest among others me thinks !!

Lal :thumbsup:

rodhibs55
28-04-2020, 12:59 PM
Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino is brilliant.

Jones28
28-04-2020, 08:05 PM
Richard Attenborough in the Great Escape. Actually everyone in the Great Escape was terrific.

O'Rourke3
28-04-2020, 09:47 PM
Benicio Del Toro in Usual Suspects ... Wha da fu?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

BroxburnHibee
29-04-2020, 10:24 AM
Sad to hear Irrfan Khan passed away. Loved his performance in Life of Pi.

frazeHFC
30-04-2020, 02:10 PM
Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino is brilliant.

Great film and a great soundtrack.

hibsbollah
30-04-2020, 04:28 PM
Pete Mullen - Tyrannosaur, quite magnificent. Olivia Colman not far behind.

Great shout, they were both incredible in that. Was that Colmans debut? certainly the first time id seen her and it was obvious how believable she'd be in any role.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-04-2020, 05:29 PM
Great shout, they were both incredible in that. Was that Colmans debut? certainly the first time id seen her and it was obvious how believable she'd be in any role.

Might've been her first film, plenty previous tv appearances though.

Pretty Boy
30-04-2020, 05:33 PM
Might've been her first film, plenty previous tv appearances though.

She was in Hot Fuzz which I'm sure was before Tyranosaur. Great film btw. The Office and Peep Show were both early 00s and she was in both of those as well.

Wilson
30-04-2020, 05:36 PM
She was in Hot Fuzz which I'm sure was before Tyranosaur. Great film btw. The Office and Peep Show were both early 00s and she was in both of those as well.

Regular on That Mitchell and Webb Look too - as a contestant on my favourite game show - NUMBERWANG.

hibsbollah
30-04-2020, 08:12 PM
I know we're talking films, but ive just seen a brilliant acting performance by Benedict Cumberbatch as The Creature in Frankenstein, but its the National Theatre, which is streaming as live performances on youtube the last few Thursdays. Two hours of harrowing viewing but i cant describe just how good his performance was. Johnny Lee Miller is Dr Frankenstein. If we ever get through Covid19 back into normal public events ive promised Mrs Bollah im going to make an effort to go with her to theatre productions. Its something ive always avoided before, but If they are all as good as that i wont need much persuading.

Greentinted
30-04-2020, 11:15 PM
Jim Kavaziel as Jesus in The Passion of the Christ’ would hopefully make the cut!

HibernianJK
01-05-2020, 06:23 AM
Benedict Cumberpatch in the Imitation Game

Keyser Sauzee
04-05-2020, 08:05 AM
Gary Oldman as Drexel Spivey in True Romance.

Casey Affleck in Manchester By The Sea.

Matthew McConaughey in Interstellar.

patch1875
09-05-2020, 12:41 PM
Liz Hurley in Bedazzled :-)