PDA

View Full Version : Italia 90 - Scottish Football comedy

Viva_Palmeiras
17-04-2020, 06:54 PM
I think this one off show was the precursor to Only an Excuse (by BBC Scotland Comedy unit?) but the memory fades - one sketch talks of “another vicious foul from
Victor Bast—do.

It was mainly voiceover football footage.

Been trying to find a reference maybe I got the comedy unit thing wrong to it anyone recall?

pollution
17-04-2020, 07:06 PM
I think this one off show was the precursor to Only an Excuse (by BBC Scotland Comedy unit?) but the memory fades - one sketch talks of “another vicious foul from
Victor Bast—do.

It was mainly voiceover football footage.

Been trying to find a reference maybe I got the comedy unit thing wrong to it anyone recall?

Italia 90 was an episode of Rab C Nesbitt and Co hiring a minibus to travel to Genoa to watch Scotland play Costa Rica ( away back to Africa Rab shouts ) and Sweden.

One of the finest episodes of Rab C. One liners that come to mind on a daily basis.

BroxburnHibee
17-04-2020, 10:07 PM
Italia 90 was an episode of Rab C Nesbitt and Co hiring a minibus to travel to Genoa to watch Scotland play Costa Rica ( away back to Africa Rab shouts ) and Sweden.

One of the finest episodes of Rab C. One liners that come to mind on a daily basis.

Yep included Stanley Baxter who was brilliant!

PatHead
17-04-2020, 10:24 PM
Think I remember the programme that the OP is talking about. It was a documentary style about the history of the world Cup. Mentioned how we really invented the world Cup but were only were allowed to play in the qualifying groups. Described Geoff Hurst as the only player to score a 2 goal hatrick in a world Cup final.
Really good programme well before it's time.
Damned if I can remember it's name though.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-04-2020, 11:35 PM
Think I remember the programme that the OP is talking about. It was a documentary style about the history of the world Cup. Mentioned how we really invented the world Cup but were only were allowed to play in the qualifying groups. Described Geoff Hurst as the only player to score a 2 goal hatrick in a world Cup final.
Really good programme well before it's time.
Damned if I can remember it's name though.

That’s the exact one PH! Thankfully I’m. It going nuts...

Viva_Palmeiras
17-04-2020, 11:56 PM
I think it might have been a kind of Mockumentary and called something like “Kick it!”

green with envy
18-04-2020, 03:41 AM

I was at both these games. Talk about the good and the bad.

Chuck D
18-04-2020, 05:38 AM
I think it might have been a kind of Mockumentary and called something like “Kick it!”

I'm pretty sure it was called 'Tackle'. Prince Philip refereeing one of the 1966 games and Peru(?) in 1978 showing total incompetence defending a free kick by running out of the wall and blootering the ball away.

nairn hibee
18-04-2020, 07:07 AM
I'm pretty sure it was called 'Tackle'. Prince Philip refereeing one of the 1966 games and Peru(?) in 1978 showing total incompetence defending a free kick by running out of the wall and blootering the ball away.
Think the defender was from Zaire ,and game was against brazil

The Pointer
18-04-2020, 05:34 PM

So was I and entry to the latter was hilarious.

It's a long story but basically I was there with my wee brother and his mate who were both coppers. We couldn't get tickets but got in using their warrant cards. We went through three layers of paramilitary/cops/security successfully before we got to the civilian ticket checker who wouldn't let us in, " No ticket, no get in!" The Eyetie cops had a quiet word with him before he waved us in. We had great seats behind the goal!

We got into the Brasil game by donating a large bottle of Laphroaig to the cops in the sentry box. Nuff
said.

Hibbyradge
18-04-2020, 05:58 PM

I was at the Brazil game. 😓

Viva_Palmeiras
18-04-2020, 06:00 PM

Memory coming back on all these... nice one! Trying to find it. Looks like there was a quora question about Tackle! So on the right track but still unable to trace further despite the links great shout tho... !

Viva_Palmeiras
18-04-2020, 06:05 PM
As fate would have it I worked in Genoa in 1999.
One of the first nights we were there it was the. Scotland England game at Wembley when Hutchinson got the winner.

After a long day at the office the client invited us for dinner I said as long as we got back for the game... we’ll anyone that knows Italians will know dinner is a full on affair 5 courses and the. Lemoncello. Needless to say I got back post game hacked off. Flicking through the channels however I found it on delayed transmission. But of course missed the goal!
Next morning I get up and we walk to work the streets
Decked out with St a George’s flags - you couldn’t make it up - St George is the patron saint of Genoa...

Hibby70
18-04-2020, 06:27 PM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://archive.list.co.uk/the-list/1990-06-29/85/&ved=2ahUKEwj14sr6zPLoAhWUiFwKHRyhAmQ4ChAWMAJ6BAgFE AE&usg=AOvVaw0xiSrwYqPQR8w8OuX3uESH

Mibbes Aye
18-04-2020, 06:49 PM
I posted about this years ago on here and someone was able to find the link. It's too long ago to dig it out now I suspect.

There was a funny post or blog, basically imagining the thoughts that were going through the Scotland players' heads as the game went on against Brazil. The funniest bit is when the writer is representing John Collins - totally concerned about the hairdo, full of utter self-confidence etc etc.

Viva_Palmeiras
18-04-2020, 07:45 PM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://archive.list.co.uk/the-list/1990-06-29/85/&ved=2ahUKEwj14sr6zPLoAhWUiFwKHRyhAmQ4ChAWMAJ6BAgFE AE&usg=AOvVaw0xiSrwYqPQR8w8OuX3uESH

Magnificent sleuthing...! It was a thing of beauty...