PDA

View Full Version : Gobbing on the ground

CentreLine
17-04-2020, 03:25 PM
Given the amount of bacteria and virus carried in bodily fluids is it time to return to the days where spitting in public was considered unacceptable? Is it especially time footballers and sportspeople generally were banned from gobbing on the ground?

danhibees1875
17-04-2020, 03:29 PM
Is it not already consider unacceptable? :confused:

I think there's science behind why saliva builds up during exercise, so I'd generally excuse that.

offshorehibby
17-04-2020, 03:32 PM
Dad was just telling me a story the other week there. while growing up in Oban in the 30's/40's he can remember signs stuck to the lamp posts warning people caught spitting in the street would face hefty fines due to the spread of TB.

CropleyWasGod
17-04-2020, 03:32 PM
According to Police Scotland, it already is illegal.

https://www.askthe.scottish.police.uk/content/Q145.htm

CentreLine
17-04-2020, 03:35 PM

I think there's science behind why saliva builds up during exercise, so I'd generally excuse that.

Used to be illegal but no longer so. In fact even pissing in the street is no longer a crime of itself. Personally I think it’s disgusting and yes, unacceptable. Unfortunately it has become acceptable with even gofers gobbing on the ground as they struggle with the exertions of finding their way round the course.
IMHO gobbing anywhere should be outlawed once more.

Joe6-2
17-04-2020, 03:35 PM
It’s a bloody disgusting habit

danhibees1875
17-04-2020, 03:36 PM

Unless your link has taken me to a different sub-section that seems to be answering the question as to whether or not spitting on/at someone is considered an assault. :dunno:

CentreLine
17-04-2020, 03:36 PM

Spitting at someone is an assault. Not spitting on the ground. I think you have misunderstood my question. It is spitting generally I find disgusting but absolutely spitting at someone is an assault.

PatHead
17-04-2020, 03:37 PM
Used to be illegal but no longer so. In fact even pissing in the street is no longer a crime of itself. Personally I think it’s disgusting and yes, unacceptable. Unfortunately it has become acceptable with even gofers gobbing on the ground as they struggle with the exertions of finding their way round the course.
IMHO gobbing anywhere should be outlawed once more.

I would think peeing in the street would now come under exposing yourself?

CropleyWasGod
17-04-2020, 03:39 PM
Unless your link has taken me to a different sub-section that seems to be answering the question as to whether or not spitting on/at someone is considered an assault. :dunno:

Q145: Is spitting an assault?

In most cases, spitting if done deliberately will be an assault. If however, it is accidental then it will not be an assault.

The question doesn't specify spitting at someone, but I take your point.

G B Young
17-04-2020, 03:39 PM

Along with spitting on the Heart of Midlothian at the Tron :wink:

CentreLine
17-04-2020, 03:41 PM

👍🏻

The 90+2
17-04-2020, 03:43 PM
Didn’t our mothers teach us that as very first manners?

danhibees1875
17-04-2020, 03:43 PM
Q145: Is spitting an assault?

In most cases, spitting if done deliberately will be an assault. If however, it is accidental then it will not be an assault.

The question doesn't specify spitting at someone, but I take your point.

I don't think that is what's being asked here. Unless you're suggesting spitting on the ground, deliberately, would be considered an assault?

I'm not sure if you can assault pavement - you can asphalt it though :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
17-04-2020, 03:45 PM
I don't think that is what's being asked here. Unless you're suggesting spitting on the ground, deliberately, would be considered an assault?

I'm not sure if you can assault pavement - you can asphalt it though :greengrin

:rolleyes: Tar for that.

17-04-2020, 03:53 PM

Along with spitting on the Heart of Midlothian at the Tron :wink:

And the Heart of Midlothian in Gorgie.

HibbyDave
17-04-2020, 03:57 PM
Not illegal to spit on The Heart of Midlothian in the cobbles on the High Street I think.

Ryan91
17-04-2020, 04:00 PM
Not illegal to spit on The Heart of Midlothian in the cobbles on the High Street I think.

Illegal NOT to spit on it if you're a decent and proper Hibs fan

Just_Jimmy
17-04-2020, 04:07 PM
IMHO gobbing anywhere should be outlawed once more.Says who? Pissing in the street is still a fixed penalty.

It's not a crime as in it's not recorded against a person, but it's still dealt with by fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

telford hibbee
17-04-2020, 04:30 PM
Early recollections of Glasgow was being horrified that they had to notices on the buses to tell the passengers that spitting on the bus was not aloud. Wtf would they not know that.

lapsedhibee
17-04-2020, 04:39 PM

Would that be a science specific to people who don't have throats, preventing them from just swallowing their saliva like everyone else? Exercise is no excuse at all.

Peevemor
17-04-2020, 04:43 PM
When you exert yourself (eg. running) your mouth dries out probably due to breathing more. To counteract this your body releases a protein/mucus into your saliva to counteract this.

This makes the saliva thicker and difficult, even uncomfortable, to swallow especially if your throat is also drying out.

Thus why footballers and other sportsmen spit. For many it's more or less automatic.

lapsedhibee
17-04-2020, 04:53 PM
When you exert yourself (eg. running) your mouth dries out probably due to breathing more. To counteract this your body releases a protein/mucus into your saliva to counteract this.

This makes the saliva thicker and difficult, even uncomfortable, to swallow especially if your throat is also drying out.

Thus why footballers and other sportsmen spit. For many it's more or less automatic.

Strange that Bannister didn't feel any need to spit when he ran his sub-four-minute mile!

Col L
17-04-2020, 04:56 PM
Ffs, this thread! Lockdown really does have a lot to answer for. Next week; should we be allowed to scratch our bawz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fisherrow Harp
17-04-2020, 05:21 PM
Early recollections of Glasgow was being horrified that they had to notices on the buses to tell the passengers that spitting on the bus was not aloud. Wtf would they not know that.

I remember pools of it on buses through here, vile and not that uncommon.

cabbageandribs1875
17-04-2020, 05:27 PM
the TV cameras have a nack for zooming in on a player just as he's about to gob a greezer, or pinching the top of his nose to fire a double salvo out the nostrils, tho it's quite funny if it's windy and the greezer fires back on to his coupon/shirt

thankfully not quite as regular in womans footy

HoboHarry
17-04-2020, 05:27 PM

Automatic or just a habit? I never felt the need to spit in all the years I played, just a nasty habit, to me anyway.....

jacomo
17-04-2020, 05:31 PM

Yes I have also done a number of half marathons and countless 10k runs and kept my gob in my mouth every time.

Glory Lurker
17-04-2020, 05:32 PM
Automatic or just a habit? I never felt the need to spit in all the years I played, just a nasty habit, to me anyway.....

Agree. Have run for years and never feel need to spit. If my nose gets runny I just wipe it on my sleeve.

Danderhall Hibs
17-04-2020, 05:38 PM

:agree: years of playing sport and now (attempting to) jog and I need to release a few. I don’t do it any other time though.

Also disagree that “it’s the worst thing you can do to a fellow professional”.

Pretty Boy
17-04-2020, 05:51 PM

I'll admit to spitting when I run.

I have really bad Hayfever and my sinuses are chronically swollen from about late March to mid June. That leads fo a near constant post nasal drip that leaves my throat in a mess. Add that to a stuffy nose and thicker saliva and I get a choking sensation when I try to swallow when running.

I always try to manage my runs so I'm as secluded as possible and don't spit on paths but it's unavoidable. I think there's a difference between randomly spitting in the street and spitting during exertion. There is no catch all with these things so just because it doesn't apply to one person doesn't mean there isn't scienctofic reasoning behind it, as you have provided.

Gloucester Hibs
17-04-2020, 06:03 PM
I'll admit to spitting when I run.

I have really bad Hayfever and my sinuses are chronically swollen from about late March to mid June. That leads fo a near constant post nasal drip that leaves my throat in a mess. Add that to a stuffy nose and thicker saliva and I get a choking sensation when I try to swallow when running.

I always try to manage my runs so I'm as secluded as possible and don't spit on paths but it's unavoidable. I think there's a difference between randomly spitting in the street and spitting during exertion. There is no catch all with these things so just because it doesn't apply to one person doesn't mean there isn't scienctofic reasoning behind it, as you have provided.

Me too for similar reasons. Usually have to do one or two on say a 5k but always onto the grass or undergrowth. Would never dream of doing it any other time.

Lago
17-04-2020, 06:17 PM
Maybe you didn’t run a lot 🙄

pollution
17-04-2020, 06:26 PM
You have to step over Glasgow Oysters and pavement pizzas in some parts of town !!

Sammy7nil
17-04-2020, 06:28 PM

Didn’t our mothers teach us that as very first manners?

I think 99% of the population either do not spit or only do so when they have no real choice due to what has involuntarily arrived in their throat.

Keith_M
17-04-2020, 06:30 PM
Is this football related or are people just really bored?

chrisski33
17-04-2020, 07:14 PM
What a thread! Is it time to gob on the street? Errrr no never has been ok to and never will be ok to!

CropleyWasGod
17-04-2020, 07:27 PM
There's a line in there about spitting being less welcome than its alternative. But it's a family board.

EI255
17-04-2020, 07:32 PM
Not illegal to spit on The Heart of Midlothian in the cobbles on the High Street I think.Remember once watching young teenage Hibbies giving out a bit of a 'history lesson' to tourists on the HoM up the High Street and why you should spit on it. Was rather amusing!

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

CentreLine
17-04-2020, 11:29 PM
Is this football related or are people just really bored?

It is indeed football related. Watch any game and there are greasers being deposited all over the park these days. Not something I remember happening in the 60s and 70s.
Then of course there is the wonderful sight of a full load being blown down the nose every so often. WTF is that all about?

So many viruses and bacteria being shared in any 90 minutes.

Just asking if people think it’s acceptable, especially in the current medical crisis?

Joe6-2
18-04-2020, 07:17 AM
Ffs, this thread! Lockdown really does have a lot to answer for. Next week; should we be allowed to scratch our bawz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t wait a week!!

Phil MaGlass
18-04-2020, 07:24 AM
Some people are forced to spit due to vast build up of spit, if swallowed it aggravates the upper stomach causing reflux and stuff,,cannae mind what it's called.

Oh if spitting in public really gets on your nerves, then I would avoid China as a holiday destination or anywhere that has Little Chinas. It's common to spit on the street. Pretty boggin likes. Especially if yi just come out of or going into a restaurant and someone gobs in front of you

Bangkok Hibby
19-04-2020, 07:12 AM

Athletes? rugby? tennis? cricket? jockeys? You might occasionally see the odd one but footballers do it all the time. I've always thought it's not a nice behaviour to put on display when so many kids look up to their footballing hero's.

Bangkok Hibby
19-04-2020, 07:13 AM
Given the amount of bacteria and virus carried in bodily fluids is it time to return to the days where spitting in public was considered unacceptable? Is it especially time footballers and sportspeople generally were banned from gobbing on the ground?

Yes and yes

Tambo
19-04-2020, 07:19 AM
Can we still spit on the heart of midlothian?

lapsedhibee
19-04-2020, 08:21 AM
Can we still spit on the heart of midlothian?

Shirley if spitting is banned this tradition could be ramped up to s*itting? :dunno:

where'stheslope
19-04-2020, 09:17 AM
I would not be spitting after lockdown as facemasks will probably be compulsery and you will only be spitting on oneself!!!