PDA

View Full Version : The dirtiest game you've seen either on tv or at the game

ekhibee
17-04-2020, 12:59 PM
Here's one some of our older members might remember...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5jVMSlpZhg

There's plenty more out there though.

Dublin07
17-04-2020, 01:04 PM
On tv Leeds Liverpool charity shield game from early seventies. I think hibs wise has to be souness debut game.

hibby6270
17-04-2020, 01:07 PM
Ask that question and this game always springs to mind. BTW - (NHC)!!

https://youtu.be/CpxoTiKkvw8

Real Emerald
17-04-2020, 01:10 PM
Celtic v Atletico Madrid where Celtic got literally kicked off the park, think the game was abandoned replayed and Atletico eventually went through. Something like that anyway but it was a long time ago.

maturehibby
17-04-2020, 05:25 PM
The game against Inverness in the cup comes pretty high up there with the treatment handed out to Martin Boyle was deplorable

Since452
17-04-2020, 05:28 PM
Can't really remember any dirty games but I'd have hated to be a forward playing against Pepe and Ramos at Real Madrid. They ate players alive.

Green Reaper
17-04-2020, 05:28 PM
Game been at would be Videoton at ER, wee Mickey lost the rag with the treatment he got

17-04-2020, 05:29 PM
IIRC Scotland v Uruguay at Mexico '86 was bad. One-way dirtiness.

JimBHibees
17-04-2020, 05:33 PM
Chelsea Leeds Fa cup final early 70 s was brutal

Glory Lurker
17-04-2020, 05:37 PM
Aberdeen and Hearts rotational fouling in recent seasons. And who was it we were playing when Boyle got roto-crocked four times in first twenty minutes?

There were some stunning OF games in Sounness era. The one that ended up in folk players arrested after the game, and iirc there was live games on telly two Sundays in a row (league then cup?) that were both riots.

we are hibs
17-04-2020, 05:39 PM
The games against falkirk in the championship. They were an embarrassment of a team. Keatings winner was a long time coming. Special mention to that wee dick John Baird who was like a poundland naismith. Constantly at the ref and a cheating wee knob.

Glory Lurker
17-04-2020, 05:41 PM
Airdrie!

The 90+2
17-04-2020, 05:42 PM
The games against falkirk in the championship. They were an embarrassment of a team. Keatings winner was a long time coming. Special mention to that wee dick John Baird who was like a poundland naismith. Constantly at the ref and a cheating wee knob.

Liverpool v Everton, Kevin Campbell winner. Liverpool goalie sent off. Late 90s.

Hibs wise loads of games against Falkirk. From Freeland to loads of games v Houston.

greenpaper55
17-04-2020, 05:47 PM
Hibs game against Rangers late 70's-early 80's ? Bobby Hutchisons forearm smash on Tom Forsyth !

surreyhibbie
17-04-2020, 05:51 PM
Hibs v Bristol City many moons ago.

Absolutely terrible. Tom Hart threatened to refuse to play the return leg

Cant remember exacrly how many bookings and red cards, but it was a lot! Will have to search for details...

WoreTheGreen
17-04-2020, 06:43 PM
Hart called them animals

Eyrie
17-04-2020, 06:49 PM
Airdrie!

The early 90s version was my immediate reaction to seeing the thread title.

Stonewall
17-04-2020, 07:14 PM
Celtic v Atletico Madrid where Celtic got literally kicked off the park, think the game was abandoned replayed and Atletico eventually went through. Something like that anyway but it was a long time ago.

This. Nothing else I’ve seen comes close.

David_D
17-04-2020, 07:34 PM
Portugal v Holland 2006 World Cup (Battle of Nuremberg) absolute battle all the way through. 16 cards and 4 red cards I believe.
https://youtu.be/qrHcmXVVKow

EI255
17-04-2020, 07:36 PM
Hibs v Airdrie was always a horrible fixture

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

GRA
17-04-2020, 07:41 PM
Portugal v Holland 2006 World Cup (Battle of Nuremberg) absolute battle all the way through. 16 cards and 4 red cards I believe.
https://youtu.be/qrHcmXVVKow

Was just about to say that! Game was farcical by the end.

Tomsk
17-04-2020, 07:52 PM

Cant remember exacrly how many bookings and red cards, but it was a lot! Will have to search for details...

This.

Peter Cormack playing for Bristol City was sent off. They were shocking. Should have been booted out of the competition.

HibbyAndy
17-04-2020, 08:01 PM
Spain v Holland 2010 World cup final.

What do i win ?

NGP
17-04-2020, 08:07 PM
Italy v Brazil 1982. Bodies everywhere.

O'Rourke3
17-04-2020, 08:38 PM
Celtic Athletico. Jimmy Johnsrone was the main target. He also got death theats over the phone at the hotel in Madrid. Still, dont like Athletico based on watching that game and I've no time for Celtic. They were brutal.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

green with envy
17-04-2020, 08:53 PM

Peter Cormack being one their 'animals'. Maybe wrong but he may have got sent off that night.

Swedish hibee
17-04-2020, 08:54 PM
I was listening to a podcast and it featured details of 1971 Boca juniors v Sporting Cristal.. 19 players sent off and the ref (a policeman) on the pitch fighting the players!

hibsbollah
17-04-2020, 08:57 PM
Italy v Brazil 1982. Bodies everywhere.

The 4-3 game? Not really that dirty. Holland kicking **** out of Spain in the 2010 final was pretty bad. Plenty diving too. Italy Chile in the 60s I'm sure tops the lot though.

Jumbo
17-04-2020, 09:02 PM
Holland v Brazil in 74 World Cup semi, Brazil were brutal !

Scorrie
17-04-2020, 09:03 PM

That was the game I was going to mention. Our primary school playtime recreated this game the day after and as one of the wee guys, I got a right kicking! 1974 I think it was

ballengeich
17-04-2020, 09:13 PM
Hibs v Airdrie was always a horrible fixture

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

In the 1997 playoff we beat Airdrie (at Broadwood) to stay in the premier. Jimmy Sandison was sent off. 10 minutes later Airdire announced him as their man of the match. It summed them up.

ballengeich
17-04-2020, 09:15 PM
Peter Cormack being one their 'animals'. Maybe wrong but he may have got sent off that night.

You're right.

Jumbo
17-04-2020, 09:29 PM

Quite topical, I'm sure Norman Hunter played for Bristol City in that game.

see its mentioned in Norman Hunter thread.

Killiehibbie
17-04-2020, 09:40 PM
Celtic against the South American mob after they won the European Cup. 2 legs and a play off full of brutality.

CropleyWasGod
17-04-2020, 09:44 PM

So was Norman Hunter RIP.

Gerry Gow should have been sent off as well.

BILLYHIBS
17-04-2020, 11:43 PM
Remember the early seventies games versus Rangers Old Co these games were not for the faint hearted no quarter given or expected and plenty of interesting characters on both sides you could sense that the hatred was real and no way would you expect to hear a Hibby declaring their undying love for The Rangers that you hear nowadays The hatred was real and genuine Colin Stein excepted of course but that was back in 68 I remember one game during the power cuts a Wednesday afternoon in November 73 1.30 pm kick off god knows where the crowd came from maybe they were all on three day weeks Rangers looking for revenge 2-0 up from the first leg and HIBS defending their League Cup An end to end battle ensued but HIBS were unable to break them down and the game fizzled out to a 0-0 but a game fought with such intensity that there was casualties on both sides Pretty sure that was the game that Mickey Edwards followed Alex MacDonald up the tunnel looking to dish out his retaliation

green with envy
18-04-2020, 03:32 AM
The game in question was never abandoned. However you are correct in saying that Celtic were kicked off the park, more so Jimmy Johnstone. The game finished 0-0 and A Madrid won the 2nd leg 2-0 and barely a foul from them committed.

telford hibbee
18-04-2020, 06:31 AM
Atletico had 3 sent off and held on with 8 men to go through I think. Jimmy Johnstone got booted all over the park that night.

ben johnson
18-04-2020, 06:44 AM
Quite topical, I'm sure Norman Hunter played for Bristol City in that game.

see its mentioned in Norman Hunter thread.

Hunter and Cormack both sent off
We went down for the second leg and were in the stand with the main block of Hibs fans. A few Hibs fans on the terracing got a less than warm welcome after Tom Harts animals comment to the press
A few years later we were at Dunfermline and Peter Cormack was in the Paragon Club. He started a conversation with our group but I refused to even look his way such was the ill feeling after that game v Bristol City
Very sad that a such a great player is remembered by a number of Hibs fans in that way
A 5 - 3 loss in the second leg did not help erase the ill feeling toward Cormack

superfurryhibby
18-04-2020, 10:01 AM
That was the game I was going to mention. Our primary school playtime recreated this game the day after and as one of the wee guys, I got a right kicking! 1974 I think it was

Celtic v Athletic Madrid was a European 1/4 or semi final too. The Spanish had four sent off, they literally kicked the crap out of Johnstone and then they won the second leg.

KingPat4
18-04-2020, 10:36 AM
Hunter and Cormack both sent off
We went down for the second leg and were in the stand with the main block of Hibs fans. A few Hibs fans on the terracing got a less than warm welcome after Tom Harts animals comment to the press
A few years later we were at Dunfermline and Peter Cormack was in the Paragon Club. He started a conversation with our group but I refused to even look his way such was the ill feeling after that game v Bristol City
Very sad that a such a great player is remembered by a number of Hibs fans in that way
A 5 - 3 loss in the second leg did not help erase the ill feeling toward Cormack

I will never understand why Cormack played like that, but I've long since forgiven him. His overall contribution to us far outweighs that ridiculous night.

PS
Did we not play in black shorts at Ashton Gate? Can't remember why.

pollution
18-04-2020, 11:20 AM
In the 1997 playoff we beat Airdrie (at Broadwood) to stay in the premier. Jimmy Sandison was sent off. 10 minutes later Airdire announced him as their man of the match. It summed them up.

Airdrie had such a reputation for violent football in the early 90's that a foreign film crew visited them for a report.

Such was Airdrie's shamelessness that the crew was warmly welcomed and had full access.

Was their manager not ex Hearts?

Buck Mulligan
18-04-2020, 03:34 PM
Airdrie!

Early 90s. Any game against them.

Buck Mulligan
18-04-2020, 03:37 PM
Was their manager not ex Hearts?

He was, Alex (Diddy) MacDonald. Walter Kidd and Jimmy Sandison in the team too.

Real Emerald
19-04-2020, 12:26 AM
The game in question was never abandoned. However you are correct in saying that Celtic were kicked off the park, more so Jimmy Johnstone. The game finished 0-0 and A Madrid won the 2nd leg 2-0 and barely a foul from them committed.

I think I was about 13/14 years old and through the mists of time I think it may have been live on TV (but maybe highlights). Even then, when pitches were like ploughed fields and I was playing football at school it was an unbelievable watch, total thuggery. I have absolutely no affection for Celtic whatsoever but as a young lad I felt Scotland was getting shafted. I was probably right! Enter the Hearts 😂

https://youtu.be/0g7FCacZHyk

Gloucester Hibs
19-04-2020, 01:04 AM
Barcelona v Athletic Bilbao where they actually end up booting **** out each other by the end 😳

https://youtu.be/iqzXw3fygBg

Mibbes Aye
19-04-2020, 01:56 AM
Switzerland against Brazil at the last World Cup. I think every single Swiss player, bar the keeper, but including all three subs were fouled for tackles on Neymar. When he got subbed his socks looked like colanders. It was basic rotational fouling, horrible to watch.

telford hibbee
19-04-2020, 02:43 AM
Celtic v Athletic Madrid was a European 1/4 or semi final too. The Spanish had four sent off, they literally kicked the crap out of Johnstone and then they won the second leg.
They only had 3 sent off as anymore would have seen the game abandoned as you have to have a minimum of 8 players to continue. Game finished 0 0

SideBurns
19-04-2020, 06:16 AM
They only had 3 sent off as anymore would have seen the game abandoned as you have to have a minimum of 8 players to continue. Game finished 0 0

You can play with 7, I'm sure (unless the rules were different back then?). Recall Hearts having 4 sent off at Ibrox in the 90s! Also, I once played in an amateur game where we had 4 sent off in a cup tie; lost 3-2 after extra time. Crazy game...

bigwheel
19-04-2020, 07:06 AM

Think the minimum is 7...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eyrie
19-04-2020, 09:17 AM
You can play with 7, I'm sure (unless the rules were different back then?). Recall Hearts having 4 sent off at Ibrox in the 90s! Also, I once played in an amateur game where we had 4 sent off in a cup tie; lost 3-2 after extra time. Crazy game...

Chris Robinson was so angry that he stormed down to the touchline to demand that their remaining players walk off. Think Jeffries was the manager and refused.

ancient hibee
19-04-2020, 12:38 PM

The first game was bad enough but the replay was unbelievable.

SideBurns
19-04-2020, 12:49 PM
The first game was bad enough but the replay was unbelievable.

The Damned United (was on tv last night, available on BBC iplayer too) has footage of that game at the start. Looks Radio Rental!

Jim44
19-04-2020, 03:30 PM
Game involving Hibs as a wee laddie. Not really the most violent in terms of player to player violence, but the concentrated aggression and violence by any team, albeit towards the referee, was the Hibs Barcelona game at ER. I couldn’t believe what I was witnessing.

telford hibbee
19-04-2020, 07:50 PM
Think the minimum is 7...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I stand corrected it so rarely happens memory playing tricks

linlithgowhibbie
19-04-2020, 09:33 PM
Barcelona v Athletic Bilbao where they actually end up booting **** out each other by the end 😳

https://youtu.be/iqzXw3fygBg

Think we have a winner here!

theonlywayisup
28-04-2020, 06:32 AM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52416192Allan

The match has been re-refereed twice since by leading officials according to modern interpretations of the rules. In 1997, David Elleray concluded he would have shown six red cards, while this year Michael Oliver opted for 11. During game, only one yellow card was shown.

Hibeesmad
28-04-2020, 06:36 AM
I was at the 'Battle of the Bridge' between Chelsea and Spurs in 2016.

Fisherrow Harp
28-04-2020, 07:03 AM
IIRC Scotland v Uruguay at Mexico '86 was bad. One-way dirtiness.
Aye I remember that well! Was shocking!

SideBurns
28-04-2020, 07:46 AM
Aye I remember that well! Was shocking!

Watched that in ma Grandad's hoose. Remember my Dad was so angry he had to go for a walk to calm doon. We were approaching the Vicky Park Hotel, and 2 skinheids were walking along the narrow pavement towards us. Since they decided not to get out the road, the auld man knocked them flying like a bowling ball toppling a couple of pins! Think he felt a bit better after that.

Funny the daft wee things you remember...

Hillsidehibby
28-04-2020, 07:47 AM
Barcelona v Leeds 1975 European Cup Semi final 2nd Leg

calumhibee1
28-04-2020, 08:13 AM
I stand corrected it so rarely happens memory playing tricks

It happens every other game when I’m playing Fifa which is the only reason I know it!

Mick O'Rourke
28-04-2020, 09:06 AM
Older fans here may recall when Celtic played Argentinian side Racing Club for the Intercontinental Cup in 1967

Mike Tyson's corner would have threw the towel in if he had been in Jimmy Johnstones boots
Ronnie Simpson got walloped on the heid by a bottle during the warm up !

Celtic Tv made a mini doc of this battle
I think the referee got a house and a car for his performance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Intercontinental_Cup

Utube
Celtic v Racing Club, The Battle of Montevideo

Independent
28-04-2020, 09:23 AM
I walked out early at a home game to Airdrie early 90's as I was so angry. Lost 2-0 I think??

BH Hibs
28-04-2020, 09:30 AM
I'd stumbled across a Rangers Aberdeen game on YouTube from 85/86 season. They hated each other back then well before the Durrant Simpson thing. Huns get beat 3 nil at a less than packed out Ibrox as well.

Real Emerald
28-04-2020, 10:10 AM
I walked out early at a home game to Airdrie early 90's as I was so angry. Lost 2-0 I think??

Was that the one where the Airdrie players took in turn to scythe Mickey Weir down and he eventually lost it and lashed out after about the 10th assault and got a straight red card?

Tom Hart RIP
28-04-2020, 10:14 AM
Celtic v Athletico was the worst. It's on You Tube.
The dirtiest player I ever saw live was Bruno of Hearts. I remember an tackle/assault of Darren Jackson at Easter Road. Thankfully Darren was OK but it could have ended his career. Typical Scottish ref didn't send him off.

ancient hibee
28-04-2020, 10:27 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52416192Allan

The match has been re-refereed twice since by leading officials according to modern interpretations of the rules. In 1997, David Elleray concluded he would have shown six red cards, while this year Michael Oliver opted for 11. During game, only one yellow card was shown.

and it was shown for pushing.It was the referee's last game.

Independent
28-04-2020, 10:42 AM
Was that the one where the Airdrie players took in turn to scythe Mickey Weir down and he eventually lost it and lashed out after about the 10th assault and got a straight red card?

Just checked. Midweek game 07/04/1992.

Radium
28-04-2020, 10:55 AM
The dirtiest player I ever saw live was Bruno of Hearts. I remember an tackle/assault of Darren Jackson at Easter Road. Thankfully Darren was OK but it could have ended his career. Typical Scottish ref didn't send him off.

https://youtu.be/phR8SkLngw8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HIBERNIAN-0762
28-04-2020, 12:52 PM

Bruno was an animal, typical dirty tricks Italian player well suited to these mutants.

Forza Fred
28-04-2020, 02:15 PM

I wuz there!

Renfrew_Hibby
28-04-2020, 02:36 PM
Battle of Santiago in the '62 world cup will take some beating would it not?

Captain Trips
28-04-2020, 02:56 PM
This must be up there:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/08/13/19/372CFA5700000578-0-image-a-2_1471114647239.jpg

where'stheslope
28-04-2020, 03:53 PM
Chris Robinson was so angry that he stormed down to the touchline to demand that their remaining players walk off. Think Jeffries was the manager and refused.
I remember watching that, at a Rangers corner, Neil Pointon kicked the front post and was red carded????

greenlex
28-04-2020, 06:29 PM
Barcelona v Leeds 1975 European Cup Semi final 2nd Leg
This one. Even Cryuff was leaving the boot in.