PDA

View Full Version : Norman Hunter

G B Young
17-04-2020, 11:52 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52246007

Did he play in the Leeds teams which faced Hibs in the 70s?

NthCarolinaHibs
17-04-2020, 11:57 AM
Don't think he played in either game..defo not at Easter Rd...RIP..

lapsedhibee
17-04-2020, 11:59 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52246007

Did he play in the Leeds teams which faced Hibs in the 70s?

Played in 68.

cabbageandribs1875
17-04-2020, 11:59 AM
leeds rested a few players against us in 73 iirc, not sure if 'bite yer legs' played though, RIP norman hunter

CropleyWasGod
17-04-2020, 12:10 PM
He played against us for Bristol City in the Anglo Scottish Cup.

Got sent off IIRC :greengrin

(as did Peter Cormack, for putting the head on Des Bremner)

G B Young
17-04-2020, 03:26 PM

I vaguely remember those Anglo Scottish Cup games. Just checked the scores and we drew 1-1 at ER but lost 5-3 at Ashton Gate.

The Leeds game at ER in 1968 attracted 45,000 to ER and there were 36,000 when we hosted them again five years later. Pic of the 70s game in this article. The terracing looks fantastic:

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/historic-matches/hibernian-s-history-agains-the-mighty-whites

And an extract from the Times report from the first leg at Elland Road. Sounds like we totally bossed them. Anyone on here among the reported 2,000 travelling Hibs fans?

Gerry Harrison reported the game thus in the Times: "Leeds, the pride of England, playing their 76th cup-tie in European competition, were shown a thing or two by the invading Scots at Elland Road last night. Hibernian, the pioneers of European football in Britain, should be taking into the second leg at Easter Road a clear two- or three-goal lead. Only poor finishing and tiredness let them down as they controlled most of the initiative in a match where national and club loyalties were strangely interwoven in the pattern of conflict.
back to top (http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19731107.htm#top)
"Against a Leeds side clearly missing the contributions of Hunter, Giles and McQueen, Hibernian played their natural attacking game. It is not often this speck of Yorkshire sees opponents use two orthodox wingers and provide plenty of men to support them.
"Within a quarter of an hour, the 2,000 or so followers of the Edinburgh green and white were confident enough to break out in choruses of 'Hibees' and 'You're all a load of rubbish,' without arousing a murmur of denial from the massed ranks of 27,000 Yorkshiremen. Although Jones had a good chance from Clarke's back header in the second minute, it was soon obvious that Leeds were going to have problems in midfield, where Bates and Bremner were being outrun and outplayed by Stanton, Cropley and Higgins."

heretoday
17-04-2020, 03:44 PM

As did Joe Royle and Terry Cooper.

CropleyWasGod
17-04-2020, 03:51 PM
As did Joe Royle and Terry Cooper.

It was a good Bristol City side.

Don Gillies and Gerry Gow, another decent couple of Scots, also played. Gow should also have walked for going over the ball on (?) Ally Mcleod.

We couldn't beat 9 men. :greengrin

SideBurns
17-04-2020, 03:53 PM
I vaguely remember those Anglo Scottish Cup games. Just checked the scores and we drew 1-1 at ER but lost 5-3 at Ashton Gate.

The Leeds game at ER in 1968 attracted 45,000 to ER and there were 36,000 when we hosted them again five years later. Pic of the 70s game in this article. The terracing looks fantastic:

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/historic-matches/hibernian-s-history-agains-the-mighty-whites

And an extract from the Times report from the first leg at Elland Road. Sounds like we totally bossed them. Anyone on here among the reported 2,000 travelling Hibs fans?

Gerry Harrison reported the game thus in the Times: "Leeds, the pride of England, playing their 76th cup-tie in European competition, were shown a thing or two by the invading Scots at Elland Road last night. Hibernian, the pioneers of European football in Britain, should be taking into the second leg at Easter Road a clear two- or three-goal lead. Only poor finishing and tiredness let them down as they controlled most of the initiative in a match where national and club loyalties were strangely interwoven in the pattern of conflict.
"Against a Leeds side clearly missing the contributions of Hunter, Giles and McQueen, Hibernian played their natural attacking game. It is not often this speck of Yorkshire sees opponents use two orthodox wingers and provide plenty of men to support them.
"Within a quarter of an hour, the 2,000 or so followers of the Edinburgh green and white were confident enough to break out in choruses of 'Hibees' and 'You're all a load of rubbish,' without arousing a murmur of denial from the massed ranks of 27,000 Yorkshiremen. Although Jones had a good chance from Clarke's back header in the second minute, it was soon obvious that Leeds were going to have problems in midfield, where Bates and Bremner were being outrun and outplayed by Stanton, Cropley and Higgins."

My Uncle Billy was there (he doesn't post on here though). I remember talking to him about it, and him saying Tony Higgins should have won the game for us. Must be a few on here who went down?

WoreTheGreen
17-04-2020, 03:54 PM
Did Tom Hart not call them animals after the game

hhibs
17-04-2020, 04:00 PM

There were a hell of a lot more than 2000 hibees at the game,maybe nearer 5k and as said we should have won easily,Higgins was the main culprit for missed opportunities, though it has to be said the team as a whole were magnificent.

Tom Hart RIP
17-04-2020, 04:11 PM
He played in both legs in 1968 but didn’t feature in either in 1973.
Some great footage of his career on news earlier including the famous fight with Francis Lee

BILLYHIBS
17-04-2020, 04:21 PM
There were a hell of a lot more than 2000 hibees at the game,maybe nearer 5k and as said we should have won easily,Higgins was the main culprit for missed opportunities, though it has to be said the team as a whole were magnificent.
Remember David Coleman on Sportsnight with Coleman raving about this new phenomenon from Scotland the overlapping centre back as Big Jim Cilla Black went off on one of his mazy runs through the centre of the Leeds midfield Efe style

Alan Gordon scored a perfectly good goal at Easter Road the Ref gave it but the Lino ruled it out for offside

Billy Bremner gave a virtuoso performance as sweeper that night

I also remember quite a few Leeds fans came up for the second leg but Leeds left most of their big names at home

Norman Hunter RIP sincerest condolences to friends and family

blackpoolhibs
17-04-2020, 04:33 PM
My Uncle Billy was there (he doesn't post on here though). I remember talking to him about it, and him saying Tony Higgins should have won the game for us. Must be a few on here who went down?

He missed a header that at the time looked harder to miss. :rolleyes:

Tomsk
17-04-2020, 04:39 PM
There was always something unpleasant about Leeds. There wasn't much they wouldn't do to win a game. I was always quite chuffed when they got pipped at the post, as they frequently did.

Funnily enough, for all his reputation Hunter was really just a big, robust centre back, and by no means a bad player. He was a type that was commonplace at the time.

The fight with Frannie Lee was quality. :aok:

CropleyWasGod
17-04-2020, 05:18 PM
Did Tom Hart not call them animals after the game

That's my memory. :agree:

ACLeith
17-04-2020, 05:59 PM
I was at ER for the game in 1968. Ref was from English league and it showed. My recollection was that Willie Wilson was fouled, he stumbled and took extra steps to recover, ref gave the indirect free kick. Charlton bundled our defenders and scored.

At least that’s my impartial match report!

They deserved the DLU tag

Lago
17-04-2020, 06:07 PM
I was working and living in Stevenage at the time of the 73 game. I can remember all my work mates telling me prior to the game how Hibs were in for the doing of their life, remember Leeds were one of the best in England.
Watched the game on TV & Hibs were superb, ran the show, as someone said David Coleman was litteraly in raptures over the football Hibs were playing.
Never enjoyed going into work so much in my life the next day, to be fare the comments were all of the positive nature, maybe because I worked with number of Arsenal & Spurs fans. 😁

BILLYHIBS
17-04-2020, 06:36 PM
I was at ER for the game in 1968. Ref was from English league and it showed. My recollection was that Willie Wilson was fouled, he stumbled and took extra steps to recover, ref gave the indirect free kick. Charlton bundled our defenders and scored.

Peter Lorimer obstructed him causing him to take another step Gary Sprake had been doing it the whole game Clive Thomas always had to be the centre of attention

bigwheel
17-04-2020, 06:52 PM
Peter Lorimer obstructed him causing him to take another step Gary Sprake had been doing it the whole game Clive Thomas always had to be the centre of attention

Wasn’t it Harvey in goal ? Records suggest it was....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
17-04-2020, 07:19 PM

Aye your correct It was Harvey right enough

Anyway that Harvey kept taking aboot six steps tae kick the ba oot! 😃

ACLeith
17-04-2020, 07:23 PM

Was he not the ref in the World Cup who blew for time as a corner came over and was “scored” from?

BILLYHIBS
17-04-2020, 07:31 PM
Was he not the ref in the World Cup who blew for time as a corner came over and was “scored” from?
Brazil v Sweden IIRC

Iggy Pope
17-04-2020, 07:33 PM
Legendary figure at Leeds and one of the big characters from a golden age of British football.
R.I.P. Bites Yer Legs.

HoboHarry
17-04-2020, 08:23 PM
Brazil v Sweden IIRC
:agree: Zico headed it in but Thomas had already taken centre stage. He defended the decision in his book but it was a load of BS. He claimed it would have been dishonest to Sweden to play on but if there was no time to complete the corner he shouldn't have allowed it to be taken at all....

ballengeich
17-04-2020, 09:41 PM
:agree: Zico headed it in but Thomas had already taken centre stage. He defended the decision in his book but it was a load of BS. He claimed it would have been dishonest to Sweden to play on but if there was no time to complete the corner he shouldn't have allowed it to be taken at all....

Not so. There was a considerable delay between the corner being awarded and Brazil taking it.

HoboHarry
17-04-2020, 10:01 PM
Not so. There was a considerable delay between the corner being awarded and Brazil taking it.

Not sure what that changes? If there was no time to complete the corner then it shouldn't have been taken.

BILLYHIBS
17-04-2020, 10:51 PM

:wtf:

Clive Thomas was on an ego trip he allowed 8 seconds injury time and the Lino told the Brazilian corner taker to make sure the ball was recentered within the quarter corner circle Thomas saw Zico about to head the ball in turned his back and walked toward the changing room after blowing the final whistle Prima Donna

https://youtu.be/S0JFuWqwFg4

Needless to say sacked in the morning

lord bunberry
18-04-2020, 12:46 AM
He was before my time, but bite your legs must be the best nickname I’ve ever heard.:greengrin

ben johnson
18-04-2020, 09:18 AM

We went down on a football special out of the Waverley. Drink allowed on the train. Met at the station by the police and the route march to the stadium started. About 3 miles.
I remember the train stopping outside Newcastle right outside a huge office block. The whole train singing Poland Poland as just a week before they had knocked England out the 74 WC.
The workers in the office block giving us the Vs.
Should have hammered Leeds that night

JimBHibees
18-04-2020, 09:30 AM

The idea of having a ref from one of the leagues of one of the teams in a European competition is ridiculous.

eastterrace
18-04-2020, 10:05 AM
There were a hell of a lot more than 2000 hibees at the game,maybe nearer 5k and as said we should have won easily,Higgins was the main culprit for missed opportunities, though it has to be said the team as a whole were magnificent.sure was more than 2000 as we took over the whole end , did they not call that end the flea pit or something like that.

mjhibby
18-04-2020, 10:16 AM
Legendary figure at Leeds and one of the big characters from a golden age of British football.
R.I.P. Bites Yer Legs.

Certainly was. For all the bad press revies team got they had some brilliant footballers. Hunter was just unfortunate to be around the same time as bobby Moore otherwise would have won a bucket load of caps.

Forza Fred
18-04-2020, 02:07 PM

I was there but never thought there was any foul on Willie Wilson...in fact your post is the first suggestion of that I have seen.

The four step rule had not been in long, and there was a degree of shadowing him as he came out but all Willie had to do was stand still and hold the ball.

He seemed intent on belting the ball down the slope, and in trying to go round the Leeds player took way too many steps.

BILLYHIBS
18-04-2020, 02:30 PM
I was there but never thought there was any foul on Willie Wilson...in fact your post is the first suggestion of that I have seen.

The four step rule had not been in long, and there was a degree of shadowing him as he came out but all Willie had to do was stand still and hold the ball.

He seemed intent on belting the ball down the slope, and in trying to go round the Leeds player took way too many steps.
TBF HHT Match report has Wilson being impeded by Peter Lorimer happy to put up the link if required

I was at the match but cannot remember clearly what actually happened still in a state of shock after all these years as others have said should never have had a Ref from the English League reffing that game

ACLeith
18-04-2020, 02:48 PM

TBH FF I prefer to stick with my match report, it is from an unbiased source after all. 😉

I met someone about 10 years ago who has since become a good friend of my wife and me. Quickly found out she was a DLU fan. I told her I wasn’t one for holding onto grudges I had only held this one for 40 years! I have mellowed a bit because of our friendship but still not fully gone yet.

lapsedhibee
18-04-2020, 03:00 PM
TBF HHT Match report has Wilson being impeded by Peter Lorimer happy to put up the link if required

I was at the match but cannot remember clearly what actually happened still in a state of shock after all these years as others have said should never have had a Ref from the English League reffing that game

I think Lorimer may have tried to stop Wilson kicking the ball out - which wasn't illegal at the time - rather than fouling him. (Or something else entirely might have happened.)

BILLYHIBS
18-04-2020, 03:09 PM
I think Lorimer may have tried to stop Wilson kicking the ball out - which wasn't illegal at the time - rather than fouling him. (Or something else entirely might have happened.)

Yip.All Willie had to do was stand still with the ball and ask the Ref for some protection but obviously none was forthcoming

A foul to HIBS for obstruction would have been nice but different rules in a different era

wandering_hibee
18-04-2020, 03:12 PM
I was at both games in 73. We were brilliant at Elland Road and Higgins could have had a hat trick, even though I was only 16 at the time I remember being in the pub after the game with my mates and discussing how we would win easily in the second leg at home. We really should have but Bremner was outstanding and then penalties, oh well it wasn't to be.

Tom Hart RIP
18-04-2020, 03:32 PM
There was a lot of controversy at the time. Bob Shankly told the newspapers afterwards: “Twice in the first half Leeds goalkeeper Gary Sprake carried the ball at least nine steps and was not penalised. In the incident which led to the goal Willie Wilson carried the ball four steps but was bundled by a Leeds player and stopped thinking a foul would be given in his favour. It ought to have been a foul for us."

The ref was Clive 'the book' Thomas who loved to be centre of attention. He knew all the Leeds players and called them by their first names and should never have been allowed to take charge that night.

In the Argentina World Cup 10 years later he famously blew his whistle for full time as a Brazil player was about to header the ball into the net from a corner sparking mayhem.

He got emptied after that and I don't think he ever refereed an international after that.

BILLYHIBS
18-04-2020, 04:00 PM

Leeds United at Easter Road 1968:

Sprake Reaney Cooper Bremner Charlton Hunter Greenhoff Lorimer Jones Gray and Giles

Subs Harvey Madeley and Hibbitt

Sprake also played in the first leg at Elland Road

David Harvey played in the first leg at Elland Road in 1973

John Shaw played in the second leg at Easter Road but was replaced by young Glan Letheren

https://youtu.be/b2vE-UFTKGs

Bobby Moore
18-04-2020, 04:08 PM
Norman was a guest speaker at a Hibernian Historical Trust fund raiser several years ago now, was a commanding presence but such a lovely guy when mingling with the punters afterwards.

His hard man persona was so different to the man who just chatted with fans, he seemed really quite humble and was genuinely touched to be asked to speak at Easter Road. A Leeds man through and through!

Dalkeith Hibee
18-04-2020, 07:44 PM
Norman was a guest speaker at a Hibernian Historical Trust fund raiser several years ago now, was a commanding presence but such a lovely guy when mingling with the punters afterwards.

His hard man persona was so different to the man who just chatted with fans, he seemed really quite humble and was genuinely touched to be asked to speak at Easter Road. A Leeds man through and through!

Was that the night at Easter Road not long after we won the league cup?

That was a great night and I thought Norman Hunters after dinner speech was brilliant

hhibs
18-04-2020, 09:15 PM
sure was more than 2000 as we took over the whole end , did they not call that end the flea pit or something like that.

Glad it was not my imagination on the size of the Hibs support,girlfriend could not believe the ammount of our travelling support

I had been down for a few day as my girlfriend of the time was at college in Leeds,support seemed to arrive in buses and mini vans for a couple of days before the game.

I was fortunate to meet Jim Hossack and his wife ,we four shared a great drink and conversation,the man was a gem and so knowlegeable on Hibs.

KdyHby
29-04-2020, 09:25 PM
Trevor Cherry has passed away today, RIP MOT

cabbageandribs1875
29-04-2020, 11:55 PM
Trevor Cherry has passed away today, RIP MOT

just reading this on bbc news and remembered this thread, played alongside norman hunter for a while :( sad, if the championship somehow restarts this season i hope the players get the extra urge to get leeds over that line 👍

brog
30-04-2020, 09:18 AM
sure was more than 2000 as we took over the whole end , did they not call that end the flea pit or something like that.

Was at least double 2000. I saw a new Van der Valk was on tv the other night & it reminded me of our trip to Leeds. I was on a special train & at one point 1 carriage started humming Eye Level, the VDV theme which was a #1. The tune spread throughout the train & seemed to go on for hours back & forth. I remember arriving at the station & the police trying to herd us into a line. Many scattered, me included to find a pub, but the crowd remaining in line started humming Eye Level to the total bemusement of Leeds finest! Still cant believe big Tony headed over when Alan G was right behind him!