PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Away Days

Mixu62
14-04-2020, 05:52 AM
What's your favourite away day? I used to like trips to old school grounds with a bit of terracing/shed for atmosphere back in the day. Like Firhill or Cappielow. Places where our travelling support filled the place up and made for a good atmosphere, even if the ground was a hovel by today's standards!

Sir David Gray
14-04-2020, 06:17 AM
East End Park.

hibsbollah
14-04-2020, 06:20 AM
Kilmarnock. Like the views on the drive there, not to mention the pies. Parkings always been a breeze too.

Yorkshire HFC
14-04-2020, 06:47 AM
What's your favourite away day? I used to like trips to old school grounds with a bit of terracing/shed for atmosphere back in the day. Like Firhill or Cappielow. Places where our travelling support filled the place up and made for a good atmosphere, even if the ground was a hovel by today's standards!

Dunfermline.

SideBurns
14-04-2020, 06:55 AM
I used to like visiting the old Celtic Park when we got half that big terracing behind the goals. But in modern times, I really enjoyed our last visit to Firhill in 2018 (1-0 win to Hibs); great atmosphere, and a day out in Glasgow before and after with no hassle.

Peevemor
14-04-2020, 07:08 AM
I used to like Tannadice. Great pies, very steep covered terracing and a good atmosphere (travelling support).

Barney McGrew
14-04-2020, 07:18 AM
Some of the best laughs I’ve had at away days have been the smaller grounds with the less fashionable teams where we’ve made a day of it.

Ayr in the cup a few years back was brilliant, Cowdenbeath and Alloa too. Dunfermline is always great as well, it’s only a short journey and has loads of good boozers.

darwenhibby
14-04-2020, 07:32 AM
Motherwell away always a good one
More recently QOS we could be back in the pub for 6.30. Not that I hope we have any league games there soon

One Day
14-04-2020, 08:06 AM
East End Park.
Great away day back in the day. We would get an early train over, a few beers in the Elizabethan, food there too if required.

Go to the game. After the game a walk in to the town for a few beers before catching a later train home.

Smartie
14-04-2020, 08:10 AM
A decent away trip early in the Scottish Cup is always good.

Raith away on our way to winning the cup was a good one.

The trip to Ayr a few years before that was possibly my favourite.

General criteria - town we don’t often visit on league duty that has plenty of pubs, reachable by train, Saturday afternoon game so we take a good crowd, old school stadium is a bonus.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-04-2020, 08:14 AM
Stranraer when O'Connor made his debut was a cracking trip, won a fortune in the bookies, ended up staying overnight, enjoyed it for numerous reasons! ☺

Keith_M
14-04-2020, 08:15 AM

Similar to you, I enjoyed trips to the likes of Motherwell, Dundee United and St Mirren.

I used to head up to Abbeyhill to catch the bus from the Artisan. Waiting outside the pub with the other teenage miscreants (sometimes including a very young Paul Kane) and having some 'verbals' with the Rangers and Celtic fans heading to their buses. Heading along Princes Street in the bus with us teenagers in the back, singing songs of... ahem... 'admiration', to any young ladies we drove past.

Meeting up at the ground with the nutters from the other supporters buses, having a pie and getting the best spot on the terracing, next to the segregation fence, out-singing the home support (well, usually).

Heading back to the buses, wondering if there would be a bit of a 'rumble' (probably would have shat myself if there was ;-) ). Arriving back in Edinburgh and heading straight to the Wimpy Bar on Princes St (in my late teens, it would be McDonalds) and having a bit of 'verbals' with any Hearts Fans in the vicinity.

Heading home late at night and getting slapped by my Mum because I forgot to put the bins out and wash the dishes before I left.

Happy days :wink:

Onceinawhile
14-04-2020, 09:42 AM
East end Park hits all the key notes imo.

Relatively near by, but far enough away to feel like a trip, cracking bridies, usually win, good sized stand that we usually fill and proper leg room, pubs within walking distance.

Can't get behind the shouts for fir park, the rake of the top tier is too shallow which can make parts of the pitch difficult to see, especially if someone taller than you is there.

Killie and Tannadice both fall down on the fac the leg room is far too small. In fact, everything about Tannadice is pretty grim tbh.

Linlithgow Rose was a cracking away day for various reasons!

ABZHFC
14-04-2020, 09:44 AM
Pittodrie and Tannadice, always decent atmospheres from the away end with more or less everyone standing for the 90 minutes

Keith_M
14-04-2020, 09:47 AM
Killie and Tannadice both fall down on the fac the leg room is far too small. In fact, everything about Tannadice is pretty grim tbh.....

Pittodrie and Tannadice, always decent atmospheres from the away end with more or less everyone standing for the 90 minutes

I wonder if the first point is the reason for the second :wink:

Billy Whizz
14-04-2020, 09:55 AM

I like Tannadice as you get a seat on the halfway
Pittodrie has to be the worst place to visit, dreadful view, and even worse catering facilities

percy veer
14-04-2020, 10:04 AM
Dundee

BILLYHIBS
14-04-2020, 10:08 AM
Firhill for thrills Cappielow and Muirton all 1970s though I do not think Cappielow has changed much :greengrin

Keith_M
14-04-2020, 10:10 AM
Firhill for thrills Cappielow and Muirton all 1970s though I do not think Cappielow has changed much :greengrin

That's not true, Billy, they added a couple of seats to the front of the main terracing.

:wink:

EdinMike
14-04-2020, 10:32 AM
Always enjoyed East End Park. Hated Tannadice cause I sat on the bench in a school semi final there !

Jonny1875
14-04-2020, 11:09 AM
Does anyone remember attending a pre-season friendly in 1995 against Cliftonville of Belfast? Interested in trying to get a match programme from that day. I am a fan of both clubs so it would be great for me to get one.

silverhibee
14-04-2020, 11:12 AM
Ayr Utd Morton & ICT.

04Sauzee
14-04-2020, 11:15 AM
Dens Park

SideBurns
14-04-2020, 11:17 AM
A decent away trip early in the Scottish Cup is always good.

Raith away on our way to winning the cup was a good one.

The trip to Ayr a few years before that was possibly my favourite.

General criteria - town we don’t often visit on league duty that has plenty of pubs, reachable by train, Saturday afternoon game so we take a good crowd, old school stadium is a bonus.

Like your criteria, and agree that Ayr was a great away day in the Scottish Cup. Went back near the end of the 2016-17 season and had another good day out; the shed behind the goals at the away end is as 'old school' as it gets!

mim
14-04-2020, 11:20 AM
I used to like visiting the old Celtic Park when we got half that big terracing behind the goals. But in modern times, I really enjoyed our last visit to Firhill in 2018 (1-0 win to Hibs); great atmosphere, and a day out in Glasgow before and after with no hassle.

Agree about Firhill. Always had a great time before and after games there. Great atmosphere, although the actual games can be rotten (like the 2018 one).

Dingwall has become my favourite trip. Overnight stay in Inverness, which is my second favourite now.

Big shout outs to Dunfermline, Arbroath and Motherwell.

Hate Pittodrie (love Aberdeen city) and refuse to go to Ibrox and Tynecastle (except for the Bonnyrigg game)

Chuck Rhoades
14-04-2020, 11:47 AM
Surprised at all the Dunfermline comments. Horrendous to get into the stadium. Not much of an away day either being just over the bridge. No doubt a favourite for those who attend aways less regularly with it being convenient.

In recent years, Ayr, Morton, Alloa, QOTS have served up some of the best days out.

Both Dundee clubs always a good day.

Latest Aberdeen game was great minus result. A rare occurrence having a Sat 3pm KO up there.

Missing longer jaunts to ICT / Ross County as it stands today.

.Sean.
14-04-2020, 11:51 AM
Aside from the obvious Hearts/ Celtic/ Rangers, I like Motherwell, Aberdeen and Killie. Inverness also class purely for the time to get there/ full day on the bevvy.

Class days out in recent years at Ayr, Morton, Raith and Queen of the South too

SANH 1875
14-04-2020, 11:51 AM
I used to like Tannadice. Great pies, very steep covered terracing and a good atmosphere (travelling support).

Tannadice all day long for me, started to go to away games in 1983 and although our record there wasn't great o always enjoyed the atmosphere. Paisley was also a favourite.

hibbyfraelibby
14-04-2020, 11:54 AM
Gayfield...especially on a windy day

B.H.F.C
14-04-2020, 12:16 PM
Dumbarton was a decent day out in the championship. Out of the train station, in to the pub, short walk to the ground. After the game, short walk to the pub, carry out shop and kebab shop over the road, back on the train. Alloa and QOTS were decent as well.

Carheenlea
14-04-2020, 12:22 PM
Ross County. For a Saturday 3pm fixture it’s a scenic drive or train up, a small town with a few pubs and social clubs a short walk away, a Wimpy for a retro dining treat and a decent small stadium. Always a great day out, albeit a long one.

Pretty Boy
14-04-2020, 12:41 PM
Ibrox. First game I look for when the fixtures are released.

Not the best for pre and post match pints and it's far from a great 'match day experience' but there is a proper siege mentality being stuck in that corner. Getting a result there is better than at any other ground, including Tynecastle.

Swedish hibee
14-04-2020, 12:41 PM
I've not been to that many, but always liked a trip to Firhill..

Carheenlea
14-04-2020, 01:19 PM
Ibrox. First game I look for when the fixtures are released.

Not the best for pre and post match pints and it's far from a great 'match day experience' but there is a proper siege mentality being stuck in that corner. Getting a result there is better than at any other ground, including Tynecastle.

Agree - it’s not everyone’s idea of a great day out, but likewise I enjoy that togetherness alongside like minded people in that corner with four stands against us. Those victories we’ve enjoyed there in good quantity have all been occasions to savour and gives you a buzz like few other fixtures can.
Glasgow’s City centre is always good for a few beers as well. While not as incendiary a fixture I also enjoy Celtic away. You can blend into the crowds with Hibs attire if you wish to do so, drink in any bar without any bother and it’s only an hour along the road and an experience of a 50k plus crowd. Ibrox is the better of the two grounds in my opinion, but enjoy a trip to either.

houstonhibbee
14-04-2020, 02:21 PM
I've not been to that many, but always liked a trip to Firhill..
January 1972 Scottish cup 3rd round 2-0 and Alan Gordon scored the second on his debut iirc
21,000 attendance that day

BILLYHIBS
14-04-2020, 02:32 PM
January 1972 Scottish cup 3rd round 2-0 and Alan Gordon scored the second on his debut iirc
Shades scored the first one of his long throws cleared back to him outside the box hit it on the volley straight into the far top corner

houstonhibbee
14-04-2020, 02:44 PM
Shades scored the first one of his long throws cleared back out to him outside the box hit it on the volley straight into the far top corner
Remember it well
we were on the opposite side from the main stand at the other end
the beginnings of the tornadoes

houstonhibbee
14-04-2020, 02:45 PM
Shades scored the first one of his long throws cleared back to him outside the box hit it on the volley straight into the far top corner
Think he meant it as a cross as well

BILLYHIBS
14-04-2020, 02:46 PM
Think he meant it as a cross as well
He did

Loved him to bits

Swedish hibee
14-04-2020, 03:15 PM

I wasn't born yet!😂

davhibby
14-04-2020, 03:22 PM
Dingwall is the best current away day in the country easily. The distance allows you to make a day of it, nice wee stadium in a small town, pub two minutes from the ground and the best pies in any ground we’ve played at in the last 5/6 years. Dunfermline, Raith and Partick are usually quite good of the ones closer to home

The Captain....
14-04-2020, 03:23 PM
Love St ( cheap bowling club I think it was behind terracing), Partick, Motherwell when the terrace was segregated in the middle, Tannadice when it was the same. Even Airdrie was a good laugh and that ground (Broomfield? ..memory isn't what it was) was practically medieval.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Tomsk
14-04-2020, 03:42 PM
The old Brockville was a good trip. You were just about on the pitch at some parts.

Starks Park is similar.

BILLYHIBS
14-04-2020, 03:49 PM
The old Brockville was a good trip. You were just about on the pitch at some parts.

Starks Park is similar.
Remember a LCQF 1971 lost 0-2 18000 crowd plenty of hibbys jam packed second leg 27000 at Easter Road we could only score the one Jimmy ORourke Falkirk parked the bus before parking the bus was in vogue

Onceinawhile
14-04-2020, 03:54 PM
Remember a LCQF 1971 lost 0-2 180000 crowd plenty of hibbys jam packed second leg 27000 at Easter Road we could only score the one Jimmy ORourke Falkirk parked the bus before parking the bus was in vogue

180,000 crowd

Who was counting? Priti Patel?

Old brockville was imo a ****hole. No redeeming features except being near the station.

Potty78
14-04-2020, 04:34 PM
Ross County. For a Saturday 3pm fixture it’s a scenic drive or train up, a small town with a few pubs and social clubs a short walk away, a Wimpy for a retro dining treat and a decent small stadium. Always a great day out, albeit a long one.

County is a really good day out, I like raith rovers too. Perth if your on a minibus from peebles also 👍

BILLYHIBS
14-04-2020, 04:47 PM
180,000 crowd

Who was counting? Priti Patel?

Old brockville was imo a ****hole. No redeeming features except being near the station.

18000 felt like 180000 remember some folk sitting on the track :greengrin

lord bunberry
14-04-2020, 05:30 PM

Starks Park is similar.
I loved Brockville as well. You arrived on the train and straight into the pubs above the station, before a short walk to the ground. The two games we played there when we were relegated in 98 were epic.

EI255
14-04-2020, 06:05 PM
Dublin

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

KingPat4
14-04-2020, 07:02 PM

I think Shades scored the first. Could be wrong.

offshorehibby
14-04-2020, 07:33 PM
If we're talking away days and not grounds then Dunfermline and Kirkcaldy for me. Nice we early jaunt over on the train a good pub crawl before and after games.

I did like a trip up to Inverness but we'd usually go up for the weekend.

Hermit Crab
14-04-2020, 08:43 PM
For atmosphere, Hearts away.

For drinking, Dunfermline.

The_Exile
14-04-2020, 11:29 PM
Somerset Park. My favourite stadium bar none. I always try and get along to a few games a season.

Mixu62
15-04-2020, 01:46 AM
I was careful not to include Airdrie in my list. Although the old Broomfield met the criteria of an old school ground, with a bit of terracing and a shed, I've never had a good day out there.

Carheenlea
15-04-2020, 07:56 AM
County is a really good day out, I like raith rovers too. Perth if your on a minibus from peebles also 👍

All true :flag: