12-04-2020, 09:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vEkSTKe3_c

I've not seen these highlights before so thought I'd share :flag:

BS44
12-04-2020, 09:36 PM

Smashing! 🇳🇬

Loads of Hibs fans arrived late for this one after something had happened on the M8

weecounty hibby
12-04-2020, 09:41 PM
My first visit to ayebroke. Was a great night.

BS44
12-04-2020, 09:45 PM
Square goalposts
Dodgy haircuts
Bobby Williamson
Fantastic Hibs strip
And Hibs getting a result against the hun whilst Brian Mcginlay was referee

Cat Stanton
12-04-2020, 09:46 PM

Remember it well - mainly as a bit of a backs-to-the-wall pounding. But we held out.

Well beaten in final by Ferguson's pretty much unstoppable Aberdeen side.

Scorrie
12-04-2020, 09:49 PM
What a night that was. Our bus got pelted on the way back east by disconsolate Huns

BILLYHIBS
12-04-2020, 10:00 PM
Stevie Cowan decides to duck out of the way of the ball in the wall for Coopers rasping freekick :confused:

Well got to have a moan about something even though we won :greengrin

Peevemor
12-04-2020, 10:06 PM
Smashing! [emoji1184]

Loads of Hibs fans arrived late for this one after something had happened on the M8Roadworks I think. We got in about a minute before Cooper's free kick.

Great night though - I've never enjoyed a loss so much.

gringojoe
12-04-2020, 10:06 PM
Smashing! 🇳🇬

Loads of Hibs fans arrived late for this one after something had happened on the M8

I got in just as they scored

Sammy7nil
12-04-2020, 10:41 PM
I was there but my memory is shot i thought Cooper scored in the second half must be confusing that with his free kick for Scotland against Australia :confused: :greengrin I was there too :greengrin

O'Rourke3
12-04-2020, 10:42 PM
This I'd seen missed the first leg as I was getting my appendix out.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Deek9
12-04-2020, 10:58 PM
What a night that was. Our bus got pelted on the way back east by disconsolate Huns

Remember that pelting well. Our bus had to go back into Glasgow to be changed. A half brick came through the front window and landed in the seat beside me. Great result though 😁

AFKA5814_Hibs
13-04-2020, 12:03 AM
I remember listening to the game on the wireless. It was as nerve wrecking as being there. Had been to all the games beforehand. Hibs had been shocking, had lost all our first 6 league games, but somehow managed to win our midweek league cup games including an amazing 4-4 quarter final against Celtc and got to the league cup final after beating the Huns 2-0 at home. Pity Aberdeen, under Ferguson were a top team at the time and the Final was over within the first 15 minutes.

SideBurns
13-04-2020, 12:26 AM
I remember listening to the game on the wireless. It was as nerve wrecking as being there. Had been to all the games beforehand. Hibs had been shocking, had lost all our first 6 league games, but somehow managed to win our midweek league cup games including an amazing 4-4 quarter final against Celtc and got to the league cup final after beating the Huns 2-0 at home. Pity Aberdeen, under Ferguson were a top team at the time and the Final was over within the first 15 minutes.

We'd beaten Cowdenbeath 6-0 and Motherwell 6-1 before the 4-4 draw with Celtic. To sum up the difference between our Wednesday & Saturday games, I'm sure Celtic hammered us 5-0 at ER on the Saturday after we'd knocked them out on penalties!

I made it to Ibrox in plenty time as went through with my dad and a couple of his mates in a car. Parked in the city centre and got a taxi to Govan. What an atmosphere in the Broomloan Stand that night!

CockneyRebel
13-04-2020, 01:23 AM

I was there and we were stuck in the stairwell after full time trying to get out. Was there for at least half an hour singing and jumping about and the best atmosphere at game end especially after a defeat on the night. We went f...ing mental.

Tynie01011973
13-04-2020, 07:34 AM

Same for me 👍

Billy McKirdy
13-04-2020, 08:04 AM
My one and only visit there, as said, roadworks held up most of us coming through and I hadn’t even reached my seat when Cooper scored the only goal

SideBurns
13-04-2020, 08:26 AM
I was there and we were stuck in the stairwell after full time trying to get out. Was there for at least half an hour singing and jumping about and the best atmosphere at game end especially after a defeat on the night. We went f...ing mental.

Aye, it was a slow exit but I was in no hurry - "We're gonnae win the cup" all the way down the stairs, absolute racket!

Unfortunately, as AFKA5814 said in his post, we met a Dons side in the final still at the peak of their powers under Fergie and they were just too strong for us. In fact, it says a lot for Hearts and Celtic that they finished above Aberdeen in the league that season. Dundee Utd were still going strong too, some quality in the premier league at that time.

JimBHibees
13-04-2020, 08:29 AM
Remember it well. Great night. Pretty sure big Gordon missed the final due to the yellow he picked up. McGinlay gave Rangers so many soft free kicks in the second half but we battled well and deserved to go through. Final had a brilliant Hibs support but we got blown away by an excellent Aberdeen side. Hibs fans supported the team brilliantly in the final.

norhfc
13-04-2020, 08:39 AM
Just sat down when Cooper scored the free kick. The week before I had been away with Scotland in Wales where he scored the vital late penalty.

my left peg
13-04-2020, 08:44 AM
I was at Glasgow Uni,after the game waiting on the underground with a load of huns to go back to my flat in Hillhead,when there must have been about 200 hibs casuals appear from nowhere...pandemonium!

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

RoxburghHibs
13-04-2020, 08:44 AM
Is there any highlights of the first leg at Easter Road?

One Day
13-04-2020, 09:01 AM
We'd beaten Cowdenbeath 6-0 and Motherwell 6-1 before the 4-4 draw with Celtic. To sum up the difference between our Wednesday & Saturday games, I'm sure Celtic hammered us 5-0 at ER on the Saturday after we'd knocked them out on penalties!

I made it to Ibrox in plenty time as went through with my dad and a couple of his mates in a car. Parked in the city centre and got a taxi to Govan. What an atmosphere in the Broomloan Stand that night!

We went through in cars too. Left Edinburgh early as on of the guys had heard about possible big delays. We were there for kick off. It was great watching the stand fill up all through 1st half don't think the Huns could believe it. Was brilliant at the end.

SideBurns
13-04-2020, 09:04 AM
Is there any highlights of the first leg at Easter Road?

I don't think it was televised - neither was the classic QF v Celtic. Seems ridiculous now but just wasn't the same coverage back then.

Col L
13-04-2020, 09:12 AM
I don't think it was televised - neither was the classic QF v Celtic. Seems ridiculous now but just wasn't the same coverage back then.

I seem to remember the first leg we were all crammed into the Cowshed because they must have been putting the new roof on the East. Hibs were great in that first game at ER, but the second leg was as back-to-the-walls performance as you will ever see. The Cooper free-kick put us under serious pressure, but we stood firm and recorded a famous victory in front of what must have been one of our biggest ever away followings at Ibrox.

The roadworks were a nightmare, but our bold/crazy driver just battered through the cones and flew up the empty lane of the M8 to a chorus of the theme from the A-Team... he must have been a Hibbie desperate to get to the game on time.

Just a pity Aberdeen were so annoyingly good in the final.. and we were pretty sh*te!

JimBHibees
13-04-2020, 09:17 AM
I seem to remember the first leg we were all crammed into the Cowshed because they must have been putting the new roof on the East. Hibs were great in that first game at ER, but the second leg was as back-to-the-walls performance as you will ever see. The Cooper free-kick put us under serious pressure, but we stood firm and recorded a famous victory in front of what must have been one of our biggest ever away followings at Ibrox.

The roadworks were a nightmare, but our bold/crazy driver just battered through the cones and flew up the empty lane of the M8 to a chorus of the theme from the A-Team... he must have been a Hibbie desperate to get to the game on time.

Just a pity Aberdeen were so annoyingly good in the final.. and we were pretty sh*te!

Vaguely remember we played Aberdeen in the league a few weeks before the final and Durie had a brilliant game. Unfortunately for the final think they played Neil Cooper as a sweeper to negate that and it worked though in saying that they ripped us apart early doors. Gordon Rae was a big miss in the final.

SideBurns
13-04-2020, 09:24 AM

Aye mate, think the only part of the terracing open for the Huns gemme (and the QF v Celtic) was the wee bit up in the corner just as you got to the top of the steps? We were in the cowshed though, fantastic atmosphere and 2 great heiders fae Durie and big Chis to win it!

brog
13-04-2020, 09:32 AM
An unreal season. Can you imagine Celtc scoring 7 goals in 2 games at ER & losing them both! I was working in Dublin for the Celtc 4-4 game, I enjoyed that one & i was in Khartoum, Sudan for both semi games. Couldn't get result until next day on a scratchy BBC world service. Maybe as well, nerves would have been shredded & no alcohol to help! My only memory of the final is Jim Leighton denying Kano a consolation goal with a superb save in the final minutes. I think our rivals had a great season though I'm a bit vague on the details! 😁

SideBurns
13-04-2020, 09:52 AM
An unreal season. Can you imagine Celtc scoring 7 goals in 2 games at ER & losing them both! I was working in Dublin for the Celtc 4-4 game, I enjoyed that one & i was in Khartoum, Sudan for both semi games. Couldn't get result until next day on a scratchy BBC world service. Maybe as well, nerves would have been shredded & no alcohol to help! My only memory of the final is Jim Leighton denying Kano a consolation goal with a superb save in the final minutes. I think our rivals had a great season though I'm a bit vague on the details! 😁

I was going to matches with my pals at that time but on the rare occasions my dad decided to go I'd often accompany him. For the final, we went on a bus from the old Tartan Club at Fountainbridge. I was so nervous I made myself ill, and didn't recover all day. Being the dutiful father, ma auld man stuck me in a taxi when we got back to Embra then carried on drinking in the Tartan Club 😁

PaulSmith
13-04-2020, 10:13 AM
Gordon Durie, what a player he was for Hibs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bishop Hibee
13-04-2020, 03:31 PM
Gordon Durie, what a player he was for Hibs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brilliant player. Shame we had him for such a short time.

tamig
13-04-2020, 04:30 PM
Roadworks I think. We got in about a minute before Cooper's free kick.

Great night though - I've never enjoyed a loss so much.

We were the same. In the ground a couple of minutes then that free kick. I didn’t hold out much hope after that but we held on. Think our bus got pelted from a flyover on the way back.

SideBurns
13-04-2020, 04:45 PM
Brilliant player. Shame we had him for such a short time.

Played in one of the greatest derbies of all time, though.

6-2 win for Hibs.

(I think, anyway...)

Onion
13-04-2020, 05:03 PM
Last 10 mins, about as nervous I've been at a match. Celebrations at the end were something to behold. First time any team other than Celtic had filled the Broomloan Stand. Bus windscreen got brick through it on M8, got home about 2am. Brilliant night.

Killiehibbie
13-04-2020, 05:16 PM
One of the most atmospheric games i've ever been at. I remember Kano telling me the players couldn't believe how many empty seats there was but the support helped the team when it eventually filled up.

TelaStella
13-04-2020, 05:24 PM
Great scenes at the end there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HH81
13-04-2020, 06:04 PM
Any other old videos on YouTube?

EI255
13-04-2020, 06:09 PM
Remember this game well. My first trip to Ibrox. Thought we were gonna chuck it! But no we didn't [emoji16]

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
13-04-2020, 07:51 PM
Remember that game well, couldn’t sleep for thinking about that leg after the win at ER.
Some players in that side that played for the jersey. Sneddon, Geebsie, Rae, Kano.... Benny attempting to blast the ball into the Copeland only to sclaff it into Roughie’s hands.
Loved watching this, thanks to the OP.

StevieC
13-04-2020, 07:52 PM
This I'd seen missed the first leg as I was getting my appendix out.

I missed the '91 semi-final getting my appendix out.

The hospital radio had the first half commentary on, but then went to patient requests. I knew we were 1-0 up, but after that it was an hour of Patsy Cline, Jimmy Shand and god knows what else hoping to catch an update.

Eventually one of the nurses told me it finished 1-0 :greengrin

G B Young
14-04-2020, 12:19 PM
Heart in the mouth stuff watching those highlights, even 35 years later! I wasn't at the second leg but I remember it being almost unbearable to listen to on the radio.

IIRC that booking for Gordon Rae which led to the Cooper free kick ruled him out of the final. His reaction certainly indicates so.

Bishop Hibee
14-04-2020, 12:55 PM
Played in one of the greatest derbies of all time, though.

6-2 win for Hibs.

(I think, anyway...)

He did. Luckily his knees were completely shot and he was well past his best. Darren Jackson came on as a sub for them too.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-04-2020, 03:19 PM
Shows how much I am missing the footie. I was getting anxious for the ref to blow the final whistle. I still have my ticket stub for the final.

Yorkshire HFC
14-04-2020, 03:34 PM
Shows how much I am missing the footie. I was getting anxious for the ref to blow the final whistle. I still have my ticket stub for the final.

I don't remember that game - but I remember getting back from a holiday in Ibiza the night before the final, staying in Glasgow and going to the game - which was a bit of a let down. That team had Rough and Durie as stand outs, but the rest of them were pretty solid - a lot of them played a lot of games for Hibs.

erin go bragh
14-04-2020, 04:49 PM

My all time favourite Hibs loss . Was a great night and some free kick from Cooper ( . Our supporter bus broke down on the way home but it just gave us longer to celebrate. Under 4 hours sleep and still bouncing at school in the morning 😃