PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Cup resolution

Salisbury Hibby
11-04-2020, 01:12 PM
We're all assuming that the cup will be played to a conclusion. Have the SFA confirmed this anywhere?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

erin go bragh
11-04-2020, 01:16 PM
We're all assuming that the cup will be played to a conclusion. Have the SFA confirmed this anywhere?

Hearts have already won it . 7-0 by all accounts 🙃
Not heard a peep from the sfa yet .

JimBHibees
11-04-2020, 01:22 PM
Pretty sure Ian Maxwell indicated in an interview a few weeks back. That position may change but think it will go ahead.

Since452
11-04-2020, 01:26 PM
If it does go ahead then I hope Hearts next signings on 7/8/9k per week are ineligible

DarlingtonHibee
11-04-2020, 01:29 PM
If it is possible to play it, would help the finance big time, but can only go ahead when safe.

RoYO!
11-04-2020, 01:31 PM
UEFA have stated that no new transfer window should open if the season was to kick off again. I'd assume that would hold true for scotland and the scottish cup.

It just doesn't get any better hearts does it?!

Keith_M
11-04-2020, 01:37 PM
UEFA have stated that no new transfer window should open if the season was to kick off again. I'd assume that would hold true for scotland and the scottish cup.

It just doesn't get any better hearts does it?!

In which case, I don't mind if they played the remaining games in September, or whatever.

What I'd absolutely hate to see happening is playing the Semi Finals and Finals as the first competitive games of the season, before teams have had a chance to really get into their stride.

Given the exceptional circumstances, I'd have no problem with fitting the remaining SC games in the middle of the first round of next season's league fixtures.

Sir David Gray
11-04-2020, 01:40 PM
In which case, I don't mind if they played the remaining games in September, or whatever.

What I'd absolutely hate to see happening is playing the Semi Finals and Finals as the first competitive games of the season, before teams have had a chance to really get into their stride.

Given the exceptional circumstances, I'd have no problem with fitting the remaining SC games in the middle of the first round of next season's league fixtures.

If the league season's ended, I can't see how the cup games will happen.

Eyrie
11-04-2020, 01:59 PM
We usually see the teams in each league listed in alphabetical order before any games are played.

This may be consistent but it is also inherently biased. Accordingly the remaining Scottish Cup ties should be resolved (if the games can't actually be played) using reverse alphabetical order as compensation for the usual bias.

I don't have time to work out who the winner of Aberdeen-Celtc or Hearts-Hibs would be, let alone the final, but it seems as sensible a proposal as that being clutched at on toomanypointsback.

PatHead
12-04-2020, 08:38 AM

The tournaments are run by separate entities so nothing to stop the cup being finished. It is only 3 matches.

Danderhall Hibs
12-04-2020, 08:40 AM
The tournaments are run by separate entities so nothing to stop the cup being finished. It is only 3 matches.

Could be with limited squads/availability. We’ll lose all our loan players, Hearts are trying to shift their squad.

Presumably any new signings that played in the cup would be cup tied? So if we signed Nisbet to replace McNulty he couldn’t play?

hibbydog
12-04-2020, 08:44 AM

There are around 48 league games to rearrange (8 rounds of games).

There are 3 Scottish cup games

Surely it can be done

Sir David Gray
12-04-2020, 08:46 AM

I know the SFA run the Scottish Cup and the league is the SPFL I just think the cup will be abandoned if they decide to crack on with next season as soon as football is allowed to be played.

DaveSo
12-04-2020, 08:46 AM
The Cup could be completed with teams only allowed to pick from players registered as at the close of the last transfer window. i.e 31 January 2020.
All 4 teams will have more than enough players still at their clubs from that time if the semi finals are played, say, in September.

Danderhall Hibs
12-04-2020, 08:47 AM
The Cup could be completed with teams only allowed to pick from players registered as at the close of the last transfer window. i.e 31 January 2020.
All 4 teams will have more than enough players still at their clubs from that time if the semi finals are played, say, in September.

That depends on how many leave at the end of their contract?

greenpaper55
12-04-2020, 08:49 AM
Here we are talking about the cup when it is illegal to be within two metres of another person and it will probably be like this for many months ! I don't see how this can be played out or any other games for that matter.

Onion
12-04-2020, 08:54 AM
If league season is declared over by UEFA, clubs will start trading and planning for the new season. Players will not be retained by the 4 teams left in the Cup just to play a game or two. SFA would have to allow new players to play in the semis and final. Weird, but cannot see any other outcome - other than bin the Cup for 19/20 season.

Bishop Hibee
12-04-2020, 08:56 AM
Here we are talking about the cup when it is illegal to be within two metres of another person and it will probably be like this for many months ! I don't see how this can be played out or any other games for that matter.

I just listened to Jeremy Farrar, Chair of the Welcome Trust and advisor to both the German and U.K. governments on the Marr Show. Season 20/21 has to be in doubt too in terms of how we’ve previously understood it. Seems unlikely mass gatherings will be allowed by the beginning of August. Could be games behind closed doors and pay per view.

G B Young
12-04-2020, 08:58 AM
If it is possible to play it, would help the finance big time, but can only go ahead when safe.

The chances of 100,000 fans converging on Hampden over a weekend is unlikely to get the nod for many months yet. Playing closed doors might be feasible but would be of no financial benefit.

I think they should just scrap it along with the league season. There's no way you could ensure clubs retain the same squads as they have now.

bod
12-04-2020, 09:23 AM
They’re would be hardly any financial loss either- no crowds so no turnstyle operators, stewards, kiosk workers or polis to pay . stick it on the telly & receive the sponsors money if it’s not been received already

JammyDoidger
12-04-2020, 09:49 AM
If it does go ahead then I hope Hearts next signings on 7/8/9k per week are ineligible

No decent players will be in a rush to sign for them. They're an absoloute shambles.

Danderhall Hibs
12-04-2020, 10:03 AM
No decent players will be in a rush to sign for them. They're an absoloute shambles.

If they’re throwing money about in their normal fashion they’ll have a queue of players willing to sign.

Since452
12-04-2020, 10:10 AM
If they’re throwing money about in their normal fashion they’ll have a queue of players willing to sign.

Yup. Boyce saw the pound signs and knew how much of a shambles they were

G B Young
12-04-2020, 10:20 AM
They’re would be hardly any financial loss either- no crowds so no turnstyle operators, stewards, kiosk workers or polis to pay . stick it on the telly & receive the sponsors money if it’s not been received already

Games in empty stadiums and most likely no crowds allowed in the streets to celebrate with the winners? Is there really any point in that? It would be little more than a box ticking exercise for completists.

bod
12-04-2020, 10:54 AM
Agree but then they’ve completed the competition so winners & europa league places sorted & money dished out to the 4 semi final teams

Salisbury Hibby
12-04-2020, 03:22 PM
It certainly is a problem. I hadn't thought of the squads and players being cup tied.

Power
12-04-2020, 09:00 PM
Nothing confirmed but hopeful it can be picked up August/September onwards (still big unknown on return).

hibbysam
12-04-2020, 10:19 PM
Agree but then they’ve completed the competition so winners & europa league places sorted & money dished out to the 4 semi final teams

Don’t think we will be worrying about Europa league places from the cup when the earliest it’ll be completed is early winter.

Scouse Hibee
12-04-2020, 10:44 PM
The cup will surely be scrapped, can’t realistically see any football resuming this year.

hibbyfraelibby
13-04-2020, 12:20 PM
The cup will surely be scrapped, can’t realistically see any football resuming this year.

They have year to finish this seasons cup. As long as the final is played before next years😉

Sir David Gray
13-04-2020, 12:24 PM

I agree I think it's very wishful thinking due to us playing Hearts at Hampden that anyone thinks this will happen.

NAE NOOKIE
13-04-2020, 12:53 PM
At some point during next season Hibs play Hearts at Murrayfield and Aberdeen play Celtic at Ibrox, both on the Wednesday night and then the final gets played the following Sunday at Hampden. Ibrox to avoid handing Aberdeen or Celtic the advantage of having played at Hampden days before the final.

Make tickets for the semis a maximum of £20 and the final the same.

That gets the whole thing out of the way in 4 days, enables us to have a cup winner for 2020 and gives all the clubs involved a decent payday.

Keith_M
13-04-2020, 01:42 PM
At some point during next season Hibs play Hearts at Murrayfield and Aberdeen play Celtic at Ibrox, both on the Wednesday night and then the final gets played the following Sunday at Hampden. Ibrox to avoid handing Aberdeen or Celtic the advantage of having played at Hampden days before the final.

That gets the whole thing out of the way in 4 days, enables us to have a cup winner for 2020 and gives all the clubs involved a decent payday.

Change that to Aberdeen and Celtc playing their game in Dingwall and I'll agree to your proposal.

Sudds_1
13-04-2020, 01:48 PM

Agree. Just thinking it over, teams will have been out of competetive action for months. If we DO restart all will lack match fitness, sharpness and probably general fitness too. Would make a mockery of thegame and take us to pseudo pre seadon levels?

JeMeSouviens
13-04-2020, 02:51 PM
I agree I think it's very wishful thinking due to us playing Hearts at Hampden that anyone thinks this will happen.

Agreed. I don't think large public gatherings will be allowed this side of a vaccine.

The dalmeny
13-04-2020, 05:21 PM
Agreed. I don't think large public gatherings will be allowed this side of a vaccine.

sadly

Viva_Palmeiras
13-04-2020, 05:28 PM

Given we STILL don’t have a vaccine for SARS there’s no guarantee and one thing to develop it another to test and a different ball game to produce and roll out a mass vaccination programme this would appear to be a long and winding road.

JeMeSouviens
13-04-2020, 07:22 PM
Given we STILL don’t have a vaccine for SARS there’s no guarantee and one thing to develop it another to test and a different ball game to produce and roll out a mass vaccination programme this would appear to be a long and winding road.

Could be. Although work on a sars vaccine was stopped because sars was contained I think.

CentreLine
13-04-2020, 08:02 PM
Could be. Although work on a sars vaccine was stopped because sars was contained I think.

Unfortunately the full name for the present thing is
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS CoVid-2).
It seems SARS has not been contained, it simply mutated in to the present virus strain. The 19 just reflects the fact it turned up in 2019.

The Baldmans Comb
13-04-2020, 08:19 PM

There isn't a full proof vacinne for flu nor measles or leprosy or even the common cold.

The only serious illness that has been eradicated is smallpox.

We could be waiting a very long time and 50,000 football matches could conceivably be consigned to history.

Unlikely but its a long time before mass gatherings of this size will happen.

JOD
14-04-2020, 01:46 AM
The cup is Sfa main money stream other than internationals. Of course it will be played out. How and when??? I don't know but it will.

Scouse Hibee
14-04-2020, 07:01 AM
The cup is Sfa main money stream other than internationals. Of course it will be played out. How and when??? I don't know but it will.

I very much doubt it.

JeMeSouviens
14-04-2020, 10:48 AM
Unfortunately the full name for the present thing is
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS CoVid-2).
It seems SARS has not been contained, it simply mutated in to the present virus strain. The 19 just reflects the fact it turned up in 2019.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/scientists-were-close-coronavirus-vaccine-years-ago-then-money-dried-n1150091

Money is not going to be a problem just now. There is a massive effort to get a vaccine.

But yes, it might take a while.

Seveno
14-04-2020, 12:05 PM

More likely to be Semis played on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings at Hampden with the Final on the Sunday.

tamig
14-04-2020, 12:37 PM
Although it would be disappointing, I wouldn’t be that bothered if this season’s competition was canned now.

EI255
14-04-2020, 02:43 PM
Fact is, Hearts needed that semi final money way more than we did. And that pleases me [emoji16]

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Yorkshire HFC
14-04-2020, 03:08 PM
I very much doubt it.

I don't see why these games can't be played. Surely football will start up again at some point - why can't these 3 games just be fitted into the fixture list for whenever that is?

Danderhall Hibs
14-04-2020, 03:14 PM
I don't see why these games can't be played. Surely football will start up again at some point - why can't these 3 games just be fitted into the fixture list for whenever that is?

Transfer windows, players eligibility etc?