PDA

View Full Version : Highland Hibs

The Count
10-04-2020, 07:29 AM
Our history talks a lot about our origins in Little Ireland.However we seem to overlook that in the same area also lived the catholic highlanders who were also treated in a similar way to the Irish immigrants for jobs etc.Now these guys must of been part of the founding of Hibs but our history seems to overlook them.I think we might of even had an early President who was a highlander.

The Harp Awakes
10-04-2020, 09:55 PM
Our history talks a lot about our origins in Little Ireland.However we seem to overlook that in the same area also lived the catholic highlanders who were also treated in a similar way to the Irish immigrants for jobs etc.Now these guys must of been part of the founding of Hibs but our history seems to overlook them.I think we might of even had an early President who was a highlander.

Your post reminded me of a holiday I had ~15 years ago when the kids were wee. Me and the mrs and kids were travelling and stayed for a few nights in Dufftown - a Speyside town maybe about the size of Peebles.

We all went into the local bakers one day and when we got served, the owner spotted my laddies Hibs jacket. He grabbed his wife and said look at the top the loon has got on - Hibees! We then blethered for a while. He and his family were Hibbies and he said there were about 15-20 Hibbies in the town most of whom, including himself, had no connection with Edinburgh. Was gobsmacked.

CentreLine
10-04-2020, 10:35 PM
Strange you should say that. My grandparents lived in the West Port In the late 1800s and married in 1904. My grandfather was Irish Catholic but my grandmother was CoS and born in a place called Forgue, which is where Glendronach Distillery is. Her family were very much land workers and treated as such, but not because of their religion, it was more to do with changes in agriculture and highland society. We might call it Clearance, others might call it Improvement.
Following on from the previous posts, her father was born in Mortlach, (Dufftown). Both my grandparents families had a very similar lifestyle, scraping a living on land that was not their own. I agree with the OP that there must have been plenty of highland representation in the vicinity of Little Ireland.

The Harp Awakes
10-04-2020, 10:48 PM
Strange you should say that. My grandparents lived in the West Port In the late 1800s and married in 1904. My grandfather was Irish Catholic but my grandmother was CoS and born in a place called Forgue, which is where Glendronach Distillery is. Her family were very much land workers and treated as such, but not because of their religion, it was more to do with changes in agriculture and highland society. We might call it Clearance, others might call it Improvement.
Following on from the previous posts, her father was born in Mortlach, (Dufftown). Both my grandparents families had a very similar lifestyle, scraping a living on land that was not their own. I agree with the OP that there must have been plenty of highland representation in the vicinity of Little Ireland.

Cracking story. I think the same is true for the Western Highlands, where there remains an indigenous Scots' Catholic population that the Reformation did not reach.

Good friends of ours are in that category who have season tickets near to us.

edinburghhibee
11-04-2020, 07:10 AM
Living in kinlochleven these days (near Glencoe) there’s a few Hibees up here. Be good to know if any of them travel to the games regularly. I’ve got my season ticket for next year sorted so gonna make the journey down regularly and would be decent if there was a few of us going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Harp Awakes
11-04-2020, 09:56 AM
Living in kinlochleven these days (near Glencoe) there’s a few Hibees up here. Be good to know if any of them travel to the games regularly. I’ve got my season ticket for next year sorted so gonna make the journey down regularly and would be decent if there was a few of us going.

That's a fair trek for you. Was last in Kinlochleven when 4 of us did the West Highland Way in 2018. Great place. Our friends sometimes travel to the games to/from Glenfinnan but that's still quite a distance from you.

howdenthehibby
11-04-2020, 12:34 PM
I have family in Fort William that are Hibees..There are quite a few in that area.In fact one of the doctors at the Belford Hospital and his family are also Hibees.

Iggy Pope
11-04-2020, 12:45 PM

Great start to the thread my friend and hopefully it provokes some meaningful chat.

Your post reminded me of a holiday I had ~15 years ago when the kids were wee. Me and the mrs and kids were travelling and stayed for a few nights in Dufftown - a Speyside town maybe about the size of Peebles.

We all went into the local bakers one day and when we got served, the owner spotted my laddies Hibs jacket. He grabbed his wife and said look at the top the loon has got on - Hibees! We then blethered for a while. He and his family were Hibbies and he said there were about 15-20 Hibbies in the town most of whom, including himself, had no connection with Edinburgh. Was gobsmacked.

I know Dufftown a bit (Duftin) as Mrs P works in the Whisky industry and has good reason to visit Glenfiddich. Know a few folks in town but never realised there were Hibbies there. The folk I know are lifers so I must enquire.

edinburghhibee
11-04-2020, 01:26 PM
That's a fair trek for you. Was last in Kinlochleven when 4 of us did the West Highland Way in 2018. Great place. Our friends sometimes travel to the games to/from Glenfinnan but that's still quite a distance from you.

It’s a cracking wee town been up here a year now.

Your right it is a bit of travelling however I’ve a mate who works on the trains and he’s gonna get me cheap travel so I can use that 6 hrs odd or just drive. I’m more tempted by the train then I can have a wee bevy on route.

How do your friends get down from Glenfinnan???

edinburghhibee
11-04-2020, 01:27 PM
I have family in Fort William that are Hibees..There are quite a few in that area.In fact one of the doctors at the Belford Hospital and his family are also Hibees.

Do they travel to the games?

hibstag
11-04-2020, 02:17 PM
There Was a few hibees in dingwall when I was growing up.

A few pints in the mallard before an away up there reveals quite a lot of local hibees with kids now

high bee
11-04-2020, 02:44 PM

I have relatives in Largue which is just a few miles away from Forgue, lovely wee place. Quite a few Hibs fans where I live too, in Elgin.

HoboHarry
11-04-2020, 04:30 PM
I have relatives in Largue which is just a few miles away from Forgue, lovely wee place. Quite a few Hibs fans where I live too, in Elgin.

Another Hibee from Elgin. Seems to be a few on .net. I was meant to be back in Elgin this month for a wedding but that wasn't to be.....

TelaStella
11-04-2020, 04:41 PM
Gary Mackay-Steven of Thurso grew up a Hibee though not inherently.

Peevemor
11-04-2020, 06:27 PM
Another Hibee from Elgin. Seems to be a few on .net. I was meant to be back in Elgin this month for a wedding but that wasn't to be.....My mum was from Forres but wasn't a hibee.

HoboHarry
11-04-2020, 06:32 PM
My mum was from Forres but wasn't a hibee.

You're a poet and I didn't know it.....

jodjam
11-04-2020, 06:39 PM
Plockton has a good few Hibs fans in the village

Inconsequential
11-04-2020, 07:17 PM

Your right it is a bit of travelling however I’ve a mate who works on the trains and he’s gonna get me cheap travel so I can use that 6 hrs odd or just drive. I’m more tempted by the train then I can have a wee bevy on route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk The Hibees in Glenfinnan catch the Hogwarts Express to Fort William. :wink:
I'm from Oban and there's quite a few Hibsters here...:agree:

The Harp Awakes
11-04-2020, 07:33 PM

They usually drive but work in Edinburgh so are only travelling there and back occasionally.

I spend a lot of my time in Kenmore, Highland Perthshire (outwith lockdown :rolleyes:), and there's ~5 or 6 Hibees which isn't bad for such a small village.

Inconsequential
11-04-2020, 07:52 PM
They usually drive but work in Edinburgh so are only travelling there and back occasionally.

I spend a lot of my time in Kenmore, Highland Perthshire (outwith lockdown :rolleyes:), and there's ~5 or 6 Hibees which isn't bad for such a small village. Kenmore is a favourite haunt of mine too or was before the lockdown. The Kenmore Hotel is the oldest Inn in Scotland. I can remember it's grand opening in my youth.

howdenthehibby
11-04-2020, 07:58 PM
Do they travel to the games?

They do my friend,quite a lot some of them have season tickets.They travel by car most of the time.But for big games it might be a mini bus.

darwenhibby
11-04-2020, 08:05 PM
I used to sell to pharmacies all over the north of Scotland about 20 years plus ago
I was pleasantly surprised of how many hibbies were up there
Especially Thurso and Wick
Talking of Fort William Hibees I met a hibby family in menorca about 15 years ago
Think they were called Ian and Diane Henderson
They knew my mates pal John McGinlay ex bolton and Scotland
Really nice family best regards Ian if u read on here

hendo7062
12-04-2020, 05:45 PM
I used to sell to pharmacies all over the north of Scotland about 20 years plus ago
I was pleasantly surprised of how many hibbies were up there
Especially Thurso and Wick
Talking of Fort William Hibees I met a hibby family in menorca about 15 years ago
Think they were called Ian and Diane Henderson
They knew my mates pal John McGinlay ex bolton and Scotland
Really nice family best regards Ian if u read on here
That’s my mum and dad🤣 (Neil, not Ian)

darwenhibby
12-04-2020, 06:12 PM
That’s my mum and dad🤣 (Neil, not Ian)

And you were some mover at the kiddies disco
😂😉

hendo7062
12-04-2020, 06:13 PM
And you were some mover at the kiddies disco
😂😉
😂😂😂😂

number9dream
12-04-2020, 06:27 PM

My grandparents (not remotely interested in football) used to live in Plockton in the late 70s and I used to get packed off there for the summer holidays, which was fantastic. There was a local nicknamed Charlie Cabbage who was Hibs daft.
Maybe he has converted a few over the years...

My wife is from Barra, a complete Celtic stronghold. Her dad reckons there is a relative of the great Gordon Smith living up there but he's a bit vague on the details.

edinburghhibee
12-04-2020, 09:02 PM
That’s my mum and dad[emoji1787] (Neil, not Ian)

You dad the carpet fitter?

lyonhibs
12-04-2020, 09:07 PM

I'm not sure how many there can be, but former Leith residents, a large family that proceeded to get bigger, moved up to Fort William what must be 25 years ago and the dad was/is the lead surgeon at the Belford. Massive Hibs fans and the reason I support Hibs as they went to the same church as my family and were close family friends

GTMRossaK3
12-04-2020, 09:20 PM

As a 65 year long supporter I grew up in Balmacara and Kintail. Played for Plockton in late 60s & early 70s with Charlie MacRae as manager. Local lad a bit older than me was nicknamed Hibs - Johnda Byrne think his name was. Happy times!

hendo7062
12-04-2020, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure how many there can be, but former Leith residents, a large family that proceeded to get bigger, moved up to Fort William what must be 25 years ago and the dad was/is the lead surgeon at the Belford. Massive Hibs fans and the reason I support Hibs as they went to the same church as my family and were close family friends
There’s a few of us who go to games when we get a chance up here... more hibees than jambos 🇳🇬

hendo7062
14-04-2020, 03:38 PM
You dad the carpet fitter?

Aye it is