PDA

View Full Version : First game back

ClewsHibs
07-04-2020, 11:30 PM
A long way away yet but do we think this one will be a guaranteed sell out?

Nevi_SOL
07-04-2020, 11:42 PM
My full immediate family will be there. We all miss hibs far too much haha

Centre Hawf
08-04-2020, 12:42 AM
It's a weird one. I've gone far longer without seeing Hibs than this (during the season) but right now I'd do anything to watch us fluff a throw in again.

Sir David Gray
08-04-2020, 07:50 AM
If fans aren't allowed into stadiums until next year then I would say that most grounds will be near a sellout for that first game.

we are hibs
08-04-2020, 07:54 AM
If fans aren't allowed into stadiums until next year then I would say that most grounds will be near a sellout for that first game.

Once shops and pubs are all back open, why wouldnt football stadiums be? Whether you're in a pub with 50 folk all crammed in, a busy shopping centre with hundreds/thousands of people walking by you or a football ground with 20k. I dont see much difference.

B.H.F.C
08-04-2020, 07:57 AM
Once shops and pubs are all back open, why wouldnt football stadiums be? Whether you're in a pub with 50 folk all crammed in, a busy shopping centre with hundreds/thousands of people walking by you or a football ground with 20k. I dont see much difference.

The other things that go with running an event, emergency service requirements etc, mean that any large gatherings for sports ain’t happening until well down the line.

Sir David Gray
08-04-2020, 08:02 AM

One of the very first restrictions put in place by the Scottish government was to initially ban gatherings of more than 500 people so, doing things in reverse in order to come back out of it again and go back to normal life, I'd expect restrictions on that to be one of the last things to be lifted.

You also need emergency services to attend football matches which isn't required at the pub.

I think the ban on attending sports events, concerts, festivals etc will be lifted long after the pubs are allowed to reopen.

BoomtownHibees
08-04-2020, 08:07 AM

You don’t see a difference between being with 50 folk compared to 20k? Sports will be the last thing to go back to normal imo

we are hibs
08-04-2020, 08:28 AM
The other things that go with running an event, emergency service requirements etc, mean that any large gatherings for sports ain’t happening until well down the line.

One of the very first restrictions put in place by the Scottish government was to initially ban gatherings of more than 500 people so, doing things in reverse in order to come back out of it again and go back to normal life, I'd expect restrictions on that to be one of the last things to be lifted.

You also need emergency services to attend football matches which isn't required at the pub.

I think the ban on attending sports events, concerts, festivals etc will be lifted long after the pubs are allowed to reopen.

You don’t see a difference between being with 50 folk compared to 20k? Sports will be the last thing to go back to normal imo

You will need emergency services up town at the weekend when they re open pubs. Emergency services that could be used elsewhere. I dont expect major gatherings for months yet but i dont see how they can use the size of crowd as a factor in terms of catching the virus when you are as likely to get it in a confined pub of 50 people as you are in a stadium with 20k. Not to mention the thousands of people that would hit princes street and shopping centres and the likes. Once one major gathering is allowed (shops being reopened) then i dont see why all wouldnt be. Football clubs are also businesses just like pubs and shops. They need income to survive and clubs like hibs wont survive into next year without any crowds coming in. The only time pubs and shops will reopen is when pressure has eased on the emergency services anyway

MWHIBBIES
08-04-2020, 08:42 AM
1-0 defeat, fans on teams back after 15 minutes.

Sir David Gray
08-04-2020, 09:08 AM
You will need emergency services up town at the weekend when they re open pubs. Emergency services that could be used elsewhere. I dont expect major gatherings for months yet but i dont see how they can use the size of crowd as a factor in terms of catching the virus when you are as likely to get it in a confined pub of 50 people as you are in a stadium with 20k. Not to mention the thousands of people that would hit princes street and shopping centres and the likes. Once one major gathering is allowed (shops being reopened) then i dont see why all wouldnt be. Football clubs are also businesses just like pubs and shops. They need income to survive and clubs like hibs wont survive into next year without any crowds coming in. The only time pubs and shops will reopen is when pressure has eased on the emergency services anyway

I'm not sure, you would have to ask Nicola Sturgeon about why she first of all restricted gatherings of more than 500 people (a restriction which effectively banned anyone from attending most SPFL football matches but not from attending most pubs.) I'm sure she had some scientific advice to back up that move.

We'll just have to wait and see. I hope you're right of course but I'm not expecting any fans at football matches until next year.

H18 SFR
08-04-2020, 09:15 AM

Where was this confirmed?

SquashedFrogg
08-04-2020, 09:39 AM
1-0 defeat, fans on teams back after 15 minutes.

Haha. I remember SDG getting pelters from the guy behind me early into one of our first home games after winning the cup.

At that point I was happy to overlook the odd stray pass after what he had just done at Hampden. The bloke behind me wasn't.

Frazerbob
08-04-2020, 09:58 AM

Pubs, along with gigs & sporting events, will be the last to get back to normal.

Bishop Hibee
08-04-2020, 10:04 AM
Pubs, along with gigs & sporting events, will be the last to get back to normal.

Booooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Sir David Gray
08-04-2020, 10:04 AM

This was the reason given by Nicola Sturgeon to justify the ban on gatherings over 500, in that it was to avoid stretching the emergency services as they would need to be in attendance at sports events, festivals etc when they would be needed in the community to look after patients (ambulance) and enforce restrictions (police).

B.H.F.C
08-04-2020, 11:28 AM

Where was what confirmed?

Keith_M
08-04-2020, 11:41 AM
Where was what confirmed?

'this'

KeithTheHibby
08-04-2020, 12:07 PM

The minute you re-open pubs there will be an immediate strain on public services such as Police, Ambulance services and the NHS.
It does need to be gradual but how they achieve that is anyone's guess.

SideBurns
08-04-2020, 01:54 PM
The minute you re-open pubs there will be an immediate strain on public services such as Police, Ambulance services and the NHS.

I wonder if part of the gradual lifting of restrictions might include temporary licensing laws; maybe pubs shutting earlier, and more limited capacities.

where'stheslope
08-04-2020, 03:43 PM
I honestly think football will be right at the back of the start back queue!
The amount of people in 1 place for a game of football, and all its requirements, Ambulance and Police!
Sorry we won't be going from 30 people walking in Leith Links at any one time to 20,000 huddled into Easter Road for a game.
I think it will be after the year, and when vaccinations are given to non Covid-19 sufferers.
It could even be that next season does not take place at all given the time scale of finding a vaccine!!!!
No one will want another epidemic starting, just because we all want football.

Scouse Hibee
08-04-2020, 05:40 PM

Open only Wetherspoons first, that way we can see if people who said they would never set foot in them again are true to their word.

Hillsidehibby
08-04-2020, 06:03 PM
Open only Wetherspoons first, that way we can see if people who said they would never set foot in them again are true to their word.

:greengrin