PDA

View Full Version : Four players that made you fall in love with Hibs & again & again & again

Viva_Palmeiras
07-04-2020, 04:37 PM
JC
Riordan (jam-packed era had to choose 1) Sproule ran close
Griffiths
McGinn

Sudds_1
07-04-2020, 04:45 PM
Never fell out of love with ma hibees 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

BILLYHIBS
07-04-2020, 04:52 PM
Stanton :not worth

ORourke

Cropley

Edwards

Sub: Gordon

:flag:

THE BEST BRAND OF FOOTBALL THE WORLDS EVER SEEN

CentreLine
07-04-2020, 05:14 PM
Peter Cormack
Colin Stein
Jimmy O’Rourke
Alex Cropley/Edwards (too hard to choose)

Betty Boop
07-04-2020, 05:38 PM
O'Connor
Riordan
Thomson
Brown

Potty78
07-04-2020, 05:46 PM
Mickey Weir,Steve Cowan early days. Sauzee and Latapy in my 20s.

Vault Boy
07-04-2020, 05:48 PM
Always love Hibs, but players that stood out to me for playing the Hibs way are:

Beuzelin
Zemmama
McGinn
Allan

I always tried to play like Boozy when I was wee.

Lancs Harp
07-04-2020, 05:48 PM
Stanton
Blackley
Riordon
McGinn

Not easy to narrow it down to 4.

Tug Wilson
07-04-2020, 05:54 PM
Edwards
Collins
Latapy
McGinn

Sammy7nil
07-04-2020, 06:15 PM
Keith Wright
Riordan
Latapy
Ally McLeod

.Sean.
07-04-2020, 06:19 PM
McGinn
Beuzelin
Murphy
Stevenson

.Sean.
07-04-2020, 06:19 PM
Always love Hibs, but players that stood out to me for playing the Hibs way are:

Beuzelin
Zemmama
McGinn
Allan

I always tried to play like Boozy when I was wee.
Watched the ‘unbeatable’ derby the other day. Boozy was unplayable

jgl07
07-04-2020, 06:26 PM
Micheal O’Neill
Franck Sauzee
Russel Latapy
Leigh Griffiths

Tom Hart RIP
07-04-2020, 06:27 PM
Pat
Jimmy O’Rourke
Russell Latapy
Franck

franks
07-04-2020, 06:37 PM
Joe Baker
John MacNamee
Pat Stanton
Franck Sauzee

chasitup
07-04-2020, 06:38 PM
Franck Sauzee
John McGinn
John Collins
Mickey Weir

Viva_Palmeiras
07-04-2020, 06:49 PM
Stanton
Blackley
Riordon
McGinn

Not easy to narrow it down to 4.

Just goes to show - over the piece we really have been blessed.

Eyrie
07-04-2020, 06:53 PM
Pat McGinlay
Russell Latapy
John McGinn

Lot of candidates for the fourth spot, so I'll leave it blank as it can change by the minute.

Onion
07-04-2020, 06:56 PM
Sir David
Le Frank
King Paddy
Wafs Mixu

:thumbsup:

The 90+2
07-04-2020, 06:57 PM
Russell Latapy
David Murphy
Leigh Griffiths
John McGinn

MKHIBEE
07-04-2020, 06:58 PM
Erich Scheadler
Alex Edwards
Russell Latapy
John Mcginn

Northernhibee
07-04-2020, 07:03 PM
Franck Sauzee
Derek Riordan
Lewis Stevenson
Christian Doidge

Wanted to put in at least one player who wasn't originally a Hibee and one who is a current player. Le God is an obvious choice but it's true. A Champions League winner who came to Hibs and wasn't finished and gave everything and fell in love with our club. Doidge is a story that I love - from League Two to being in contention for a Wales call up and now has two career hat tricks to his name and can't stop scoring. I love his effort and every time he pops up with a goal it makes me smile.

Deeks, well, so many quality goals to look back on, a young Hibs laddie living the dream.

Lewis Stevenson, well, by his admission not the best player to have played for Hibs but the only one ever to have won a winners medal for both the League Cup and Scottish Cup in the Hibs shirt. Plays every game with maximum effort and has also done so much good for the community through his charity and testimonial.

Craig_HFC
07-04-2020, 07:08 PM
Derek Riordan
Lewis Stevenson
Ivan Sproule
John McGinn

David Murphy & Guillaume Beuzelin extremely unlucky to miss out.

lord bunberry
07-04-2020, 07:15 PM
Darren Jackson
Frank Sauzee
Derek Riordan
John McGinn

craigiehibs
07-04-2020, 07:21 PM
Darren Jackson
Frank Sauzee
Derek Riordan
John McGinn

cropley blackley boozy sir pat

Iggy Pope
07-04-2020, 07:30 PM
It was all to do with the pictures in my wall.
Pat Stanton
Johnny Graham
John Blackley
Chris Shevlane.

KingPat4
07-04-2020, 07:38 PM
From different era's.

Stanton.
Collins.
Latapy.
Riordan.

hfc rd
07-04-2020, 07:42 PM
Franck Sauzée
Derek Riordan
Leigh Griffiths
John McGinn

thegaffer12
07-04-2020, 07:53 PM
David Murphy
Scott Allan
John McGinn
Martin Boyle

Andy74
07-04-2020, 08:25 PM
From my time going it is probably:

Collins
Sauzee
Latapy
McGinn

Honourable mentions for the likes of Goram, Archibald, Jackson and Michael O’Neill.

Bobo
07-04-2020, 08:31 PM
Cormack
Stanton
Wright
McGinn

hibee_girl
07-04-2020, 08:34 PM
Murphy
Sproule
McGinn
Stevenson

Special mention to Brebner and McManus who I absolutely loved also :greengrin

The Spaceman
07-04-2020, 08:48 PM
Derek Riordan
Ivan Sproule
Meruoane Zemmama
Leigh Griffiths
John McGinn

Frankhfc
07-04-2020, 08:53 PM
Arthur Duncan

Keith Wright

John Collins

Franck Sauzee

brog
07-04-2020, 09:09 PM
Joe Baker
The Tornadoes
The Golden Generation
The 21/5/16 team!

Ok, I cheated but how do you choose between Crops & Edwards, Brownlie or Blackley, Scotty or Boozy, SDG or Stokesy.

Vault Boy
07-04-2020, 09:27 PM
Watched the ‘unbeatable’ derby the other day. Boozy was unplayable

Oozed class, was gutted that he left just when I was getting really into football. More French players please. 🙏

Ringothedog
07-04-2020, 09:53 PM
Eric Stevenson
Alex Cropley
Pat Stanton
John McGinn

Smartie
07-04-2020, 09:55 PM
Darren Jackson
Mixu Paatelainen
Boozy
Scott Allan

Andy74
07-04-2020, 10:04 PM
Oozed class, was gutted that he left just when I was getting really into football. More French players please. 🙏

He's much more highly thought of now thankfully than he was at the time.

He got dogs abuse on here for not being physical enough, not being a tackler and also not creating enough.

Eyrie
07-04-2020, 10:19 PM
Pat McGinlay
Russell Latapy
John McGinn

Lot of candidates for the fourth spot, so I'll leave it blank as it can change by the minute.

Now made up my mind.

The fourth spot goes to Latapy - I enjoyed watching him that much he's in twice.

Auckland Hibs
07-04-2020, 10:28 PM
Keith or Jackson - tough one to call.

Russell Latapy.

John McGinn.

Scott Allan.

Special mentions:

Mickey Weir.

Crunchie.

Michael O'Neill.

Deeks.

Leigh.

Zemamma.

Ivan.

mim
07-04-2020, 10:32 PM
I was falling out of love with Hibs during the Willamson era.

The man who rekindled my love wasn't a player, it was Tony Mowbray.

The 90+2
07-04-2020, 10:38 PM

The man who rekindled my love wasn't a player, it was Tony Mowbray.

Me too. Then Stubbsy.

Smartie
07-04-2020, 11:02 PM

He got dogs abuse on here for not being physical enough, not being a tackler and also not creating enough.

Boozy was one of those players who hit the ground running.

You could tell within seconds that he could play.

I think he switched play with a cross field ball after finding himself a wee bit of space with seconds gone of his debut and you could see his class instantly. We weren’t all that short of class in his position at that point either.

Just_Jimmy
07-04-2020, 11:23 PM

The man who rekindled my love wasn't a player, it was Tony Mowbray.That's spot on.

McLeish did it
Mowbray did it to another level
Stubbs built my favourite ever Hibs side. I just loved every player in that squad in the championship days.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Nicho87
07-04-2020, 11:24 PM
Latapy
Sauzee
Boozy
Riordan

The_Exile
07-04-2020, 11:34 PM
Going to stay away from the obvious answers:

Matty Jack - Just glad he was on our team mainly and not the opposition!
Paco Luna - Unfortunately it got to the point where he was thinking quicker than the midfield and it wasn't working but he was some player when everything clicked.
Rob Jones - An absolute rock and the talisman of a really really great all round football team.
Benji - Similar to Luna in some respects, but the laddie was absolutely unplayable when he was in the mood and had he had the work rate and I guess ambition, could've and should've played at a much higher level than us.

Notable mention to Zambernardi for his 75 yard cross field passes, the fact they rarely worked is neither here nor there.

Stantons Angel
07-04-2020, 11:59 PM
Peter Cormack

Mickey Weir
John McGinn
Lewis Stevenson

HendoDelivered
08-04-2020, 12:44 AM
Riordan
Sproule
McGinn
Griffiths

MagicSwirlingShip
08-04-2020, 02:22 AM
Kevin Harper
Derek Riordan
Ivan Sproule
John Mcginn

JimBHibees
08-04-2020, 06:04 AM

Fantastic player got bad injury in a game at Killie but came back better.

Out of players I have seen would be

Colin Stein my first hero goal scorer tough and a bit of a radge. Can remember him punching a goalie in the face and getting a warning. Football is too soft nowadays. :green grin Gutted he left.

Alex Edwards wonderful ability, great passer of the ball linked up brilliantly with Pat and Onion was probably the most kicked player in Scotland at the time and a bit of a radge

Deek so much technical ability much of which was imo genuinely world class amazing two footed player who scored so many wonderful goals for Hibs. Class act and a bit of a radge

Super John will always be linked with the Scottish cup win but he probably epitomised more than any others the drive to get us out of the hole we were in after relegation. Truly inspirational player on his day and good to see him doing it at the levels he is. Seems a genuinely nice kid too.

Pretty Boy
08-04-2020, 08:19 AM
Boozy was one of those players who hit the ground running.

You could tell within seconds that he could play.

I think he switched play with a cross field ball after finding himself a wee bit of space with seconds gone of his debut and you could see his class instantly. We weren’t all that short of class in his position at that point either.

I remember the game he played against Cardiff, same game as Murphy appeared on trial, he was imperious for about 50 minutes but you could tell he was knackered at that point. His quality was obvious though. We sold Brebner days later to Dundee Utd and people were raging but with Boozy as his replacement we got the better deal. My memory is, and I could be wrong, that his time at Hibs sort of petered out in his last season. I also didn't realise he retired at 30.

Anyway back on track if I picked 4 players from my various eras watching Hibs it would be:

Keith Wright
Franck Sauzee
Derek Riordan
John McGinn

Honourable mentions for Jim Leighton, Dylan McGeouch, Scott Brown, Mickey Weir and countless others.

makaveli1875
08-04-2020, 09:05 AM
Pat Mcginley
Russell Latapy
Griffiths
SJM

Partyraiser
08-04-2020, 09:36 AM
Keith Wright
Russell Latapy
Frank Sauzee
John McGinn

Hakim Sar
08-04-2020, 09:42 AM
Jackson
O’Neill
McGinley
Leighton

biotech
08-04-2020, 09:44 AM
Marinello - Scottish George Best
Best - The real George Best
Lapaty
Sauzee

wandering_hibee
08-04-2020, 09:53 AM
Cormack, Stanton, Latapy, Giffiths - That was so hard to just chose 4 players since I started watching in the mid-60's as we have been very fortunate to have had so many really good and exciting players.

houstonhibbee
08-04-2020, 01:02 PM
Stanton :not worth

ORourke

Cropley

Edwards

Sub: Gordon

:flag:

THE BEST BRAND OF FOOTBALL THE WORLDS EVER SEEN

the first names I thought of were

oRourke
cormack
Cropley
Gordon

BILLYHIBS
08-04-2020, 01:05 PM
the first names I thought of were

oRourke
cormack
Cropley
Gordon

Cormack is up there a real super star

Difficult to pick four tbh

Used to model myself on him running on my toes shirt oot side ma shorts getting ready to launch masel at the ba with a spring like leap would even volunteer to go in goals

we are hibs
08-04-2020, 01:23 PM
Boozy might be one of the most underrated players ive seen at hibs. I remember a game at easter road against celtic he was superb and ripped the pish out of Lennon. Between 2005-2007 what a selection of players we had.

Whittaker
Jones
Hogg
Caldwell
Murphy
Sproule
Shiels
Stewart
Boozy
Brown
Thomson
Zemmama
Benji
O'connor
Riordan
Fletcher
Killen

Superb

weecounty hibby
08-04-2020, 01:41 PM
I would struggle with four. What made me love Hibs was that amazing strip running out of the tunnel at ER for the first time as a four year old, they just looked totally magical. As for favourite players, Ally McLeod, John Collins, Franck Sauzee, John McGinn probably spring to mind instantly.

Since452
08-04-2020, 01:51 PM
After a horrible period in our history I really fell back in love with Hibs under Stubbs. Felt like I got my club back. My four are..

Malonga
Allan
Gray

Then latterly McGinn.

The game it really hit home was the cup game against undefeated Aberdeen when we tore them up. That was the first time in a long long time I gave them a standing ovation at the end and i admit to having a wee lump in the throat. Hibs were back.

Pretty Boy
08-04-2020, 01:55 PM
I would struggle with four. What made me love Hibs was that amazing strip running out of the tunnel at ER for the first time as a four year old, they just looked totally magical. As for favourite players, Ally McLeod, John Collins, Franck Sauzee, John McGinn probably spring to mind instantly.

One of the things I hate most about modern football is the 2 teams walking out together and all that hand shaking pish.

Call me an old romantic but I loved the away team running out to pantomime boos then a minute later Hibs emerging. As you say seeing the strips for the 1st time on match day is almost magical.

Sudds_1
08-04-2020, 02:12 PM
One of the things I hate most about modern football is the 2 teams walking out together and all that hand shaking pish.

Call me an old romantic but I loved the away team running out to pantomime boos then a minute later Hibs emerging. As you say seeing the strips for the 1st time on match day is almost magical.

😁 i remember years agobeing at dens park for dundee v raith. Never heard a home crowd boo their team BEFORE the game started!!

JeMeSouviens
08-04-2020, 02:27 PM
Ally McLeod
Keith Wright
Franck Sauzee
John McGinn

Honourable mentions - Gordon Rae, John Collins, Mickey Weir, Kevin McAllister, Michael O'Neill, Darren Jackson, Russell Latapy, Derek Riordan, Scott Brown, Liam Henderson, Sir David Gray.

.Sean.
08-04-2020, 02:39 PM
Boozy might be one of the most underrated players ive seen at hibs. I remember a game at easter road against celtic he was superb and ripped the pish out of Lennon. Between 2005-2007 what a selection of players we had.

Whittaker
Jones
Hogg
Caldwell
Murphy
Sproule
Shiels
Stewart
Boozy
Brown
Thomson
Zemmama
Benji
O'connor
Riordan
Fletcher
Killen

Superb
Wasn’t that the game he played sweeper? Also played sweeper against Rangers and he was excellent

Killiehibbie
08-04-2020, 03:12 PM
Stanton
Collins
Sauzee
McGinn

GRA
08-04-2020, 08:15 PM
1. Sauzee
2. McGinn
3. Murphy
4. Latapy

PathheadHibby
08-04-2020, 08:30 PM
Weir
Wright
Sauzee
McGinn

johncrobertson@
08-04-2020, 08:37 PM
Stanton
Sauzee
Willie Hamilton
Latapy

Biggie
09-04-2020, 07:31 PM
Stanton
O'Rourke
Gordon
Schaedler

O'Rourke3
09-04-2020, 10:46 PM
Never ever out of love with Hibs. Periods where I hoped they'd be better and the occasional huff but thats as far as it goes. I'm the same with my children.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

SideBurns
10-04-2020, 05:51 AM
Wasn’t that the game he played sweeper? Also played sweeper against Rangers and he was excellent

Was the game v Rangers the 3-3 draw at ER? If so, I'm sure Collins went to a 3-5-2 formation with Boozy sweeping. He was superb, and thought it looked like he'd have a future playing at the back but don't remember it being repeated for some reason. That was a great game btw, McCann & Whittaker both scored great goals and we should have won.

I realise I'm contributing to a thread hijack, but as another poster said I've never fallen out of love with Hibs - just had wee spells when I went in the cream puff!

Torto7062
10-04-2020, 05:54 AM
Mickey Weir

Keith Wright

Frank Sauzee

John McGinn

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Squealing pig
11-04-2020, 06:49 PM
https://youtu.be/eZQOBs3fE-o

Here’s 3 and other is Sauzee

stalbanshibby
11-04-2020, 07:29 PM
Blackley
Stanton
Cropley
Omeonga

Tomsk
12-04-2020, 10:19 AM

Spot on - you might also have mentioned the referee picking up the match ball from a podium as he leads the players out. Pass the sickbag.

Back on topic, and none of my four choices would get in my best XI - not because they weren't good but because there are better options - but they are all players I just loved watching.

John Blackley - my fav when I was a wee laddie, super cool (JB, not me :wink:)
Keith Wright - lovely fellah, living the dream playing in the green
John Burridge - daft as a brush, but for those stretching exercises alone gets my nod
Ivan Sproule - landed on his feet at Hibs, and you could just tell he loved every minute

jon paul jones
12-04-2020, 08:35 PM
Pat McGinlay - 100% in arguably the most influential position in the team.
David Murphy - so much class for a left back you should bottle it.
Sir David Gray - he made the impossible possible.
Frank Sauzee - name a player that gave four teeth for the cause.

gazelle
12-04-2020, 09:28 PM
So many to choose from over the years but ive went for
John Collins
Ally macloud
Hard to single out one in particular from turnballs tornadoes but I'll go for captain fantastic...pat Stanton
4th choice is one that surprisingly hasn't been mentioned much but for me Jackie macnamara