PDA

View Full Version : Jason Naismith

The Spaceman
06-04-2020, 12:56 PM
Good article in the EEN with Jason Naismith - he is desperate to get a permanent deal with us:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-jason-naismith-coronavirus-might-scupper-easter-road-dream-i-would-love-jack-ross-revive-my-career-again-2529785

Whilst he is obviously out injured with a bad one on his other knee, I really really liked him in our team before that point. Would definitely take him on a 2 year deal?

Heisenberg
06-04-2020, 01:24 PM
I’d be happy to sign him too. Made some good contributions going forward and decent enough defensively. He’s better than McGinn, imo.

Diclonius
06-04-2020, 01:24 PM
He certainly has the right attitude.

lord bunberry
06-04-2020, 01:35 PM
I can’t see him getting a deal when we have McGinn and SDG. His injury came just at the wrong time.

Sir David Gray
06-04-2020, 01:37 PM
I can’t see him getting a deal when we have McGinn and SDG. His injury came just at the wrong time.

He'll almost certainly be fit again by the time our next fixture is played so I'm not sure his injury will count against him too much.

GreenPJ
06-04-2020, 01:42 PM

I think the question mark is more around the longevity of SDG so the competition next season would be between McGinn and Naismith. Of course this is all down to what the economics look like for next year as to whether we can afford to have two comparable players vying for first team.

lord bunberry
06-04-2020, 01:43 PM
He'll almost certainly be fit again by the time our next fixture is played so I'm not sure his injury will count against him too much.
He will but we signed McGinn as his replacement.

lord bunberry
06-04-2020, 01:46 PM
I think the question mark is more around the longevity of SDG so the competition next season would be between McGinn and Naismith. Of course this is all down to what the economics look like for next year as to whether we can afford to have two comparable players vying for first team.
I think the budget will be tighter next season. Having a first team regular sitting on the bench or even the stand will be unlikely. It’s a shame as he’s got a great attitude.

The Spaceman
06-04-2020, 01:47 PM
I’d be happy to sign him too. Made some good contributions going forward and decent enough defensively. He’s better than McGinn, imo.

I have been a big fan of P.McGinn so far. Having both of them would be excellent, assuming we can afford it of course.

Vault Boy
06-04-2020, 02:06 PM
Was probably our most consistent new player whilst fit IMO. He was terrific for Ross County and could prove to be a clever signing. I think there's room for him, particularly if we see James move on.

MWHIBBIES
06-04-2020, 02:15 PM

We have McGinn. Hard to consider Gray anymore, plays about 5 games a season.

Ozyhibby
06-04-2020, 02:36 PM
He’ll need to take a big pay cut to get a deal here now. Players pay will be lower for new players across the board next season.
Dunfermline and Nisbett will be regretting not selling to us in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 90+2
06-04-2020, 02:40 PM

McGinn is more of a squad player imo. Naismith is far better.

we are hibs
06-04-2020, 02:43 PM
Not for me. Dont think hes very good defensively.

Peevemor
06-04-2020, 02:44 PM
I liked the look of him up until his injury.

B.H.F.C
06-04-2020, 02:45 PM
McGinn is more of a squad player imo. Naismith is far better.

I’d say Naismith edges it over McGinn.

I don’t think either of them are much more than decent though.

With the way things are it’s not going to be easy to shift James on. McGinn is contracted as is Gray, I’m not sure the budget will stretch to retaining Naismith as well. Certainly can’t see it being a priority when the window opens, whenever that is.

H18S NX
06-04-2020, 02:46 PM
Prefer Naismith myself.

The 90+2
06-04-2020, 02:55 PM
I’d say Naismith edges it over McGinn.

I don’t think either of them are much more than decent though.

With the way things are it’s not going to be easy to shift James on. McGinn is contracted as is Gray, I’m not sure the budget will stretch to retaining Naismith as well. Certainly can’t see it being a priority when the window opens, whenever that is.

Ffs forgot about James. I agree mainly apart from your slight pref’ for Naismith. 👍

BILLYHIBS
06-04-2020, 02:59 PM
Naismith very good going forward not so good defensively

Runs like the Mummy tackles like the Mummy 😃

Slight preference for McGinn on what I have seen so far

Cruciate ligament injury quite a serious injury to come back from

It came for the boy at the wrong time

Smartie
06-04-2020, 03:05 PM
Not for me. Dont think hes very good defensively.

I don't think he's bad defensively and he played a very attacking role. Stevenson on one side and Naismith on the other were very different players.

We had issues in midfield and at CB when he was in the team.

I liked him, I actually really liked him. With a better midfield and the middle of our defence sorted out I think he could be a top player for us.

Since452
06-04-2020, 03:05 PM
I like him but he'd struggle to dislodge McGinn at right back. He's too consistent.

MWHIBBIES
06-04-2020, 03:12 PM
No idea where the poor defensive thing comes from. No worse than any of our other right backs.

BoomtownHibees
06-04-2020, 03:18 PM
Ffs forgot about James. I agree mainly apart from your slight pref’ for Naismith. 👍

Was your preference no Naismith as well?

The 90+2
06-04-2020, 03:19 PM
Was your preference no Naismith as well?

Yeah, just not slightly 😁

Hibby Kay-Yay
06-04-2020, 03:34 PM
McGinn offers good cover across the back. Naismith would be good cover for RM or I think he’s a better RWB than McGinn. I’d keep both and try to move on James.

Ozyhibby
06-04-2020, 04:12 PM
McGinn offers good cover across the back. Naismith would be good cover for RM or I think he’s a better RWB than McGinn. I’d keep both and try to move on James.

Will be difficult to move James on now. He won’t get anywhere near the money he is on now.

JammyDoidger
06-04-2020, 04:18 PM
Naismith is a solid enough spl right back. Nowt fancy but does the job, Same story with McGinn. I'd take 4 solid enough defenders across the backline though as it's better than we've had this season that's for sure. Sir David Gray is finished unfortunately and Tom James is well..Tom Kite! Think sometimes we try and be too clever and play too much from the back, id rather have 4 old school defenders at the back and a sitter and just let the rest play.

Shrekko
06-04-2020, 06:00 PM
Naismith is hard as nails - uses physicality to make up for his lack of pace. Can’t remember him making many, or any, defensive blunders. Seems to have a good mentality - him and McGinn are both pretty good.

Ozyhibby
06-04-2020, 06:03 PM
I like Naismith. Would be happy to have him although the current crisis makes it less likely.

Michael
06-04-2020, 06:04 PM
I actually think McGinn looks a little bit better than Naismith, but they both seem okay. Could do better, could do a lot worse.

Billy Whizz
06-04-2020, 06:10 PM
Think he’s got another year in his deal at Peterborough

Smartie
06-04-2020, 06:22 PM
Think he’s got another year in his deal at Peterborough

It makes sense for him to see that out as surely that’ll be more lucrative for him, then he’d get a decent signing on fee to join us for nowt in a year.

Eyrie
06-04-2020, 06:26 PM
It makes sense for him to see that out as surely that’ll be more lucrative for him, then he’d get a decent signing on fee to join us for nowt in a year.

That would be good timing as I think McGinn is out of contract in summer 2021.

I prefer McGinn as a defender and Naismith going forward. Both decent players so it would be a nice choice to have.

Brooster
06-04-2020, 07:40 PM

Do players still get signing on fees? I thought that was a thing of the past

Billy Whizz
06-04-2020, 07:44 PM

They may have in the past, market going forward is going to be completely different

The Modfather
06-04-2020, 07:53 PM

I think that has been one of out major downfalls the past few years. Too many players that can cover a few positions (and a versatile squad is of course important) but not an obvious upgrade on the position they are coming in for.

I’d like us to look more at quality and players with a defined role. Go with a quality (relative to our budget) first pick. A clear understudy (preferably someone young and with potential) and a youth player, where possible, as a 3rd choice incase of injuries and suspensions.

Don’t think there’s much of a difference between McGinn and Naismith and would only have one of them. Both solid enough players with likeable attributes, but neither I’d be disappointed about if they weren’t here.

gaz1875
06-04-2020, 09:45 PM
I missed the Killie game as getting an operation, and don't recall Naismith doing to much in previous matches. I don't think McGinn has done much wrong tbh.

blackpoolhibs
07-04-2020, 08:49 AM
I personally think Naismith and McGinn are very average full backs, a fit and younger SDG is much better, but he's not fit and not getting any younger.

I have no idea how things will pan out in future, but i'd imagine money will be tight, and i think players will have to take less money than the previously did.

Naismith has had a cruciate, one of the worst injuries you can have. I cant see us taking a chance on him next season because of that.

That leaves us James (pish) McGinn very average but can do a job, and SDG who we have no idea how fit he is, but i'd hope this lay off will help him get back to near his best.

There are other SDG's out there, the problem is finding them, and will we be able to afford it with 3 right back already on the books?

MWHIBBIES
07-04-2020, 09:05 AM

Yes, very much so

MWHIBBIES
07-04-2020, 09:06 AM
They may have in the past, market going forward is going to be completely different

Not that different. The amounts will be less, the structure won't be different

Bishop Hibee
07-04-2020, 09:08 AM
No. We’ve got McGinn and as others have said, we’ll struggle to get rid of James so we should concentrate on strengthening other positions, particularly centre half, left back, holding midfield and up front.

Billy Whizz
07-04-2020, 09:14 AM
Not that different. The amounts will be less, the structure won't be different

That’s what I meant

Smartie
07-04-2020, 09:44 AM

I thought it probably happened more than ever?

When a player lets his contract run down and becomes a free agent no transfer need be paid - so the player is in a stronger position to negotiate a tidy signing on fee from a new club.

Prior to the last couple of seasons the majority of Hibs transfer business has been "Free" transfers - when in fact instead of paying large transfer fees to other clubs we've probably paid a decent whack in signing on fees to the players/ agents instead.

supermcginn
07-04-2020, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't bring him back and I don't think mcginn is great either, both full back positions need new first choice more athletic players.