PDA

View Full Version : Happy birthday joe tortolano

BILLYHIBS
06-04-2020, 08:35 AM
Joe Joe Super Joe Super Tortolano

Happy Birthday Joe Many Happy Returns always one of my favourites and many thanks for the wonderful memories

:partyhibb

https://youtu.be/RCoMY0UhFiQ

Keith_M
06-04-2020, 08:48 AM
One of the few bright spots in an otherwise drab mid-1980s Hibs and stayed with us till the mid 90s.

Happy Birthday Joe

:aok:

Joe6-2
06-04-2020, 01:07 PM
Happy birthday Joe, thanks for the memories!

Lago
06-04-2020, 01:24 PM
Loved Joe, had a hard time from certain sections of the support which he didn't deserve . Gave 100% every time he played. ��

DarlingtonHibee
06-04-2020, 01:34 PM
Loved Joe, had a hard time from certain sections of the support which he didn't deserve . Gave 100% every time he played. ��

Gave 100% to Gordon Strachan 😂

Joe6-2
06-04-2020, 01:36 PM
Gave 100% to Gordon Strachan 😂

Let’s not talk about that 😬

brog
06-04-2020, 02:04 PM
Joe T, great guy & always gave 100% for the jersey. Happy birthday Joe!

Clarence
06-04-2020, 02:29 PM
His goal vs Stenhousemuir was an absolute peach. That game was beamed back live to Murrayfield ice rink if I recall correctly.

EVENTUALLY
06-04-2020, 09:58 PM
His goal vs Stenhousemuir was an absolute peach. That game was beamed back live to Murrayfield ice rink if I recall correctly.

He scored a fabulous goal at Pittodrie in a rare midweek 2 nil win. Hibs played great that night and Joe came on as a sub and ran in on goal from around the halfway line cork screwing Willie Miller into the pitch as he twisted him round and round again before thumping a shot past a helpless Jim Leighton.
Joe loved it and so did the sparse Hibs away support in the Beach End enjoying big celebrations.

Happy Birthday Super Joe.

Cardinal Hibernian
06-04-2020, 10:38 PM
He scored a fabulous goal at Pittodrie in a rare midweek 2 nil win. Hibs played great that night and Joe came on as a sub and ran in on goal from around the halfway line cork screwing Willie Miller into the pitch as he twisted him round and round again before thumping a shot past a helpless Jim Leighton.
Joe loved it and so did the sparse Hibs away support in the Beach End enjoying big celebrations.

Happy Birthday Super Joe.Saw Joe, Joe, Super Joe, Super Tortolano (or so the song went) score a cracking goal at New Kilbowie Park against Clydebank at the goals in front of the club building in March 1986 - went on a solo run and curled a cracker of a shot into the far corner - a bit like McCleish against the Huns in 1982 Cup Final / Ronnie Whelan for Liverpool in a Wembley final - but Joe's was far better!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Deansy
06-04-2020, 10:48 PM
Found this under 'Super Joe Tortolano (Hibernian FC)' on YouTube -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCoMY0UhFiQ

Hated the odd spectacular goal, did Joe, eh !!

Just noticed, on Joe's Wikipedia-page, somebody's (a Jambo most likely !) f*****d about with it - anyone who can get into Wikipedia' and amend it ?

RIP Bestie
07-04-2020, 01:31 AM
Always amazes me the love-in Joe gets on here.
The boy was hounded by the vast majority of fans when he played for us.
It's a pity people didn't show him the respect then as they seen to want to do now. He could have been a magnificent player for us if we had given him the backing his talent deserved.

Keith_M
07-04-2020, 07:05 AM

Just noticed, on Joe's Wikipedia-page, somebody's (a Jambo most likely !) f*****d about with it - anyone who can get into Wikipedia' and amend it ?

If you mean this...

"where they regularly threw pies at the fat wee man "

...that's it removed :)

BILLYHIBS
07-04-2020, 07:19 AM
Agree used to take pelters regularly from a section of the support but always just put his head down and got on with it a wand of a left foot and could put over a mean cross

Never gave less than 100%

Came up from West Brom looking for a club first stop was Tinycastle second stop Easter Road to meet John Blackley and said he just felt at home here and this was the place for him

Still dunno what he was doing with the tackle on Strachan versus Man Utd IIRC he had been out of the team for a while and might have been a bit ring rusty :greengrin

SideBurns
07-04-2020, 07:19 AM
Always amazes me the love-in Joe gets on here.
The boy was hounded by the vast majority of fans when he played for us.
It's a pity people didn't show him the respect then as they seen to want to do now. He could have been a magnificent player for us if we had given him the backing his talent deserved.

I think a big part of the problem with Torto was that Miller turned him into a left-back. He didn't have the defensive attributes, and just looked a bag of nerves. When he was flying down the wing at the other end of the park he looked far more comfortable, and we should have got more out of a young player with his pace and lovely left foot.

He fits the 'cult hero' status that seems to have now been bestowed upon him!

Kato
07-04-2020, 07:28 AM
Miller turned him into a left-back.

:agree:

Best crosser of the ball we had and Miller instructed him not to go over the half way line.

The most boring manager we ever had.

Tom Hart RIP
07-04-2020, 07:36 AM
Me and my mate went to Brechin for a cup game in the 80s. We got in early and sober and stood at the half way line leaning on the barrier. For those who haven't been there, the players were only a few feet away from the fans. Shortly after kick-off we were surrounded by a large bunch of drunken *******s who gave Joe T abuse everytime he ran past us. It was really nasty persona stuff and twice Joe told them to F*** off under his breath. Midway through the first half Joe spotted his chance when a 50/50 presented itself and he booted the ball as hard as he could into the group. Unfortunately it hit my mate square on the face, knocking his specks off and leaving the imprint of the ball which lasted several days. We won 2-0 if memory serves but I still laugh thinking about it.

BILLYHIBS
07-04-2020, 07:53 AM
Me and my mate went to Brechin for a cup game in the 80s. We got in early and sober and stood at the half way line leaning on the barrier. For those who haven't been there, the players were only a few feet away from the fans. Shortly after kick-off we were surrounded by a large bunch of drunken *******s who gave Joe T abuse everytime he ran past us. It was really nasty persona stuff and twice Joe told them to F*** off under his breath. Midway through the first half Joe spotted his chance when a 50/50 presented itself and he booted the ball as hard as he could into the group. Unfortunately it hit my mate square on the face, knocking his specks off and leaving the imprint of the ball which lasted several days. We won 2-0 if memory serves but I still laugh thinking about it.

Went to that was that the pitch with the hedge round it like Saughton Enclosure ?

IIRC Celtic were playing at Montrose the same day and the local bizzies were tarring us with the same brush when they saw the green and white scarves

One Day
07-04-2020, 08:04 AM
Found this under 'Super Joe Tortolano (Hibernian FC)' on YouTube -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCoMY0UhFiQ

Hated the odd spectacular goal, did Joe, eh !!

Brilliant Deansy

Tollhouse Hibee
07-04-2020, 08:53 AM
Brilliant Deansy

i missed that falkirk goal - was in the toilet.............

stirlingbhoy
07-04-2020, 10:14 AM
I personally passed on these messages to Joe yesterday...he absolutely loved the video...he has asked me to thank you guys today....thanks..you made him very happy yesterday!

Potty78
07-04-2020, 12:32 PM

Best crosser of the ball we had and Miller instructed him not to go over the half way line.

No he wasn't, o'Neil, McAllister,Jackson,Wright. Miller done ok from 91 after the takeover bid. Some fans never liked him because if his connections to newco.

RIP Bestie
07-04-2020, 01:07 PM
No he wasn't, o'Neil, McAllister,Jackson,Wright. Miller done ok from 91 after the takeover bid. Some fans never liked him because if his connections to newco.

Think the point was that he never utilised that attacking talent to its true potential. Example being Joe playing as what was regarded as a left back when it was thought he was more effective further up the park. Some of the football played by Millers teams at that time was a joy to watch but for the most part was mindnumbingly boring. Hands up, I found it very hard to understand at times and very frustrating. Never understood having 11 players behind the ball at freekicks and corners (I know thats not technically possible but you know what I mean). Miller was ahead of his time tactically, I think this was kind of proved during his time with Benitez at Liverpool. His problem was that his manegerial style meant that players didnt buy into him or were technically good enough to deliver what he wanted from them. Maybe a confident Joe could have been the Andy Robertson of his time. He certainly had the ability but he must have been ****ting himself every time he went on the park in case he made a mistake. Some of the abuse Joe got from his own fans was disgusting.

Keith_M
07-04-2020, 01:43 PM

Have you forgot Bertie Auld?

Smartie
07-04-2020, 01:58 PM
Think the point was that he never utilised that attacking talent to its true potential. Example being Joe playing as what was regarded as a left back when it was thought he was more effective further up the park. Some of the football played by Millers teams at that time was a joy to watch but for the most part was mindnumbingly boring. Hands up, I found it very hard to understand at times and very frustrating. Never understood having 11 players behind the ball at freekicks and corners (I know thats not technically possible but you know what I mean). Miller was ahead of his time tactically, I think this was kind of proved during his time with Benitez at Liverpool. His problem was that his manegerial style meant that players didnt buy into him or were technically good enough to deliver what he wanted from them. Maybe a confident Joe could have been the Andy Robertson of his time. He certainly had the ability but he must have been ****ting himself every time he went on the park in case he made a mistake. Some of the abuse Joe got from his own fans was disgusting.

My main problem with Miller was that he spent far too much time focussing on stopping the opposition, when he in fact has some cracking attacking players of his own with whom to attack - players like Joe T and Mickey Weir who were expected to perform too many defensive tasks that they were simply not suited to.

weecounty hibby
07-04-2020, 03:32 PM

Regardless of his rangers connection the fact is that he had a good 18 months with us where we did play good attacking football. But remember he was manager for 10 years. Most of it terrible to watch. I do remember Bertie and it was worse under him but Miller definitely had that defensive mindset where he was most comfortable. It is a fact that guys like Joe T were told not to cross the halfway line! How would have been better used further forward or being allowed to attack more from full back.

Deansy
07-04-2020, 03:39 PM
If you mean this...

"where they regularly threw pies at the fat wee man "

...that's it removed :)

Thanks Mate !!

Deansy
07-04-2020, 03:42 PM
I think a big part of the problem with Torto was that Miller turned him into a left-back. He didn't have the defensive attributes, and just looked a bag of nerves. When he was flying down the wing at the other end of the park he looked far more comfortable, and we should have got more out of a young player with his pace and lovely left foot.

He fits the 'cult hero' status that seems to have now been bestowed upon him!

Totally agree with you - he was a far better winger than a defender !. Funnily enough I feel the same way about Lewis - I think he's far better in his original position - midfield - than in defence !

Kato
07-04-2020, 03:59 PM
No he wasn't, o'Neil, McAllister,Jackson,Wright. Miller done ok from 91 after the takeover bid. Some fans never liked him because if his connections to newco.Couldn't care less about his rangers career and resent the inference. I can spot the product on the park. You citing 6-12 months where we were decent doesn't change the rest of his tenure when we could be dull as dish water, over cautious and just plain boring.

When he was St Mirren manager their fans started singing some of the more bigoty chants favoured by Rangers fans. Miller went out his way to ask them to stop Always admired him for that My opinion on the football played while he was manager of Hibs has nothing to do with his Rangers days and you should think twice when saying such things.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Kato
07-04-2020, 04:06 PM
Have you forgot Bertie Auld?No, considered him but at least he
A. Had a personality
B. Didn't get to hang around too long.

Peevemor
07-04-2020, 04:58 PM
I don't think Alex Miller was as defensive as people make out. For me there were 2 main problems with him.

Firstly, he never, ever made substitutions until it was far too late.

He was with us too long and certain managers knew exactly how to play us. This was exacerbated by Miller's unwillingness/slowness to change things that weren't working.

As for Joe T, I was a huge fan. He looked the ideal replacement for Joe Mcbride jnr (a fans' favourite) and was one of the best crossers of the ball I've seen at Hibs.

It's a disgrace that he never got a testimonial.

He was never a defender though.

Smartie
07-04-2020, 05:13 PM
I don't think Alex Miller was as defensive as people make out. For me there were 2 main problems with him.

Firstly, he never, ever made substitutions until it was far too late.

He was with us too long and certain managers knew exactly how to play us. This was exacerbated by Miller's unwillingness/slowness to change things that weren't working.

As for Joe T, I was a huge fan. He looked the ideal replacement for Joe Mcbride jnr (a fans' favourite) and was one of the best crossers of the ball I've seen at Hibs.

It's a disgrace that he never got a testimonial.

He was never a defender though.

He was and he wasn't.

For years his football was every bit as bad as people describe, often worse.

The Jackson/ Wright/ Evans/ Harper/ O'Neill/ McAllister/ Weir/ McGinlay year or two were sublime and they were quite often given the freedom to play that they required. We played good football, scored a decent number of goals and were possibly only a decent defensive partner for Geebsie, a decent CM partner for McGinlay and a bit of squad cover away from being able to properly challenge a very strong Rangers team for the title.

Rather than the Rangers myth, I think the biggest bugbear most folk deservedly had with Miller was his derby record, which was abysmal. If he hadn't got in his own way so often when it came to facing up to inferior Hearts sides he'd be viewed much more favourable by large swathes of the Hibs support.

I mean, for all the football was defensive and grim at times, he led us through some very tough times for us as a club without being relegated or even coming all that close to it, won us a cup and nearly won us another, at a time when there were plenty of strong players and teams in Scotland.

SideBurns
07-04-2020, 05:24 PM
He was and he wasn't.

For years his football was every bit as bad as people describe, often worse.

The Jackson/ Wright/ Evans/ Harper/ O'Neill/ McAllister/ Weir/ McGinlay year or two were sublime and they were quite often given the freedom to play that they required. We played good football, scored a decent number of goals and were possibly only a decent defensive partner for Geebsie, a decent CM partner for McGinlay and a bit of squad cover away from being able to properly challenge a very strong Rangers team for the title.

Rather than the Rangers myth, I think the biggest bugbear most folk deservedly had with Miller was his derby record, which was abysmal. If he hadn't got in his own way so often when it came to facing up to inferior Hearts sides he'd be viewed much more favourable by large swathes of the Hibs support.

I mean, for all the football was defensive and grim at times, he led us through some very tough times for us as a club without being relegated or even coming all that close to it.

That was the strange thing about Miller; he signed plenty good attacking players, but didn't seem to have the belief to take the shackles off them and let them play.

The squad which included the players you mention should have done much more, in my view. O'Neill & McAllister on the wings (with Mickey Weir as back up), Jackson & Wright as strikers (with Kevin Harper breaking through); mouthwatering attack with the the ability to be legendary, but the team just seemed to fade after reaching the '93 League Cup Final.

Potty78
07-04-2020, 05:39 PM
That was the strange thing about Miller; he signed plenty good attacking players, but didn't seem to have the belief to take the shackles off them and let them play.

The squad which included the players you mention should have done much more, in my view. O'Neill & McAllister on the wings (with Mickey Weir as back up), Jackson & Wright as strikers (with Kevin Harper breaking through); mouthwatering attack with the the ability to be legendary, but the team just seemed to fade after reaching the '93 League Cup Final.

His derby record was awful I agree, but some of those derby defeats or draws also came from hibs not taking there chances and a tad bad luck. Finished 3rd year after cup final in 93 too. My original point was he was not the most defensive manager in my opinion. I also agree he was there to long. Calderwood hands down for me. Anyway happy birthday Jo👍

Yorkshire HFC
07-04-2020, 06:12 PM

Remember speaking to Paul Kane who said Tortolano was always
one of the best in training - but his confidence was shot when he played a game because of the abuse he got from the fans.

Kato
07-04-2020, 07:52 PM
Remember speaking to Paul Kane who said Tortolano was always
one of the best in training - but his confidence was shot when he played a game because of the abuse he got from the fans.

...and that abuse, from utter weirdos and in no way a majority, started when Miller attempted to turn him into a LB, which he never was.

John Burridge spelling out exactly what was wrong with Miller as manager.

RIP Bestie
08-04-2020, 02:36 AM
...and that abuse, from utter weirdos and in no way a majority, started when Miller attempted to turn him into a LB, which he never was.

John Burridge spelling out exactly what was wrong with Miller as manager.

Sorry but can't accept this.
Joe was the target of the majority of our supports frustration at that time. Like it or not he became an easy target. Unfortunately, and you are right about this being outwith the majority, some of the bile aimed at him was ridiculous to say the least and there were a number of occasions where I found myself in the middle of some unsavoury incidents with fellow Hibs fans by defending the laddie.
John Burridge didn't like the way things ended up for him at Hibs and blamed Miller. I will not base my judgement on the man on that evidence if it's all the same to you. Many many other players cannot speak highly enough of Miller so there has to be a balance.

RIP Bestie
08-04-2020, 03:00 AM
Oh and by the way, loads of great attacking players being mentioned during Miller's tenure and the best of the lot by a country mile, in my opinion, hasnt even been mentioned.
Stevie Archibald. What a player and what a signing.

Mibbes Aye
08-04-2020, 03:07 AM
Back at that time I frequented the East, and it was fair to say there were a few guys who had it in for Joe. It actually became counter-productive for them as a lot of us didn’t like the negativity and would start applauding Joe for just about anything, making a tackle, taking a throw in, standing up straight, whatever, especially during the first half when he was positioned on our side. Just to counter the criticism. There were a few occasions, not many, but a few, where it descended into borderline aggro.

Mibbes Aye
08-04-2020, 03:11 AM
And in reference to the point about Joe T being told to stay back by Miller, I dont recall that. I certainly think it happened with Michael Renwick or Willie Miller. In fairness, Lewis has been told by most managers to be the last man back at our offensive set pieces, though that is slightly different from telling a fullback not to cross the half way line. Super Joe was a different generation though and tactics have changed a bit since then

Mibbes Aye
08-04-2020, 03:47 AM
Final post about Joe T which maybe sums it up.

I can’t remember the game but I was in the East. Joe got the ball midway in our half, near the East touchline and without even seeming to think about it, pinged it over to whoever was waiting for it in front of the West Stand, twenty yards from their goal line. I have seen a number of great passes at ER. This one was effortless, almost thoughtless, just instinct and knowing how and where to hit it. It was a thing of beauty.

On another occasion I saw us away at Brockville, on a night when the heavens had decided to open. Those who knew Brockville will remember that when the elements opened they were cruel, it wasn’t just the stadium, but the approach itself, particularly the rugged lunar landscape that I think they described as a car park.

Anyway, rubbish game in even more rubbish weather. We are attacking but they break and Joe is the last man. All he needs to do is stand up. Stand up, Joe, stand up. Show your guy outside. Just hold him up and show him outside. And don’t, don't, don’t dive into the tackle. You are the last man, whatever the **** you do, don’t make the tackle.

And then oh ****, Joe lunges in, the Falkirk player skips over him, slots it to an open striker and they score and we end up losing the game. And got soaked and borderline hypothermia.

Nevertheless if you asked me for my favourite players, not best, not most successful with Hibs, but my favourites, then Joe Tortolano would be on the list and I think there are a bunch of other guys who would say the same. He had an exquisite left foot at times. He gave his all for the badge. He took ridiculous abuse from numpties in the East, hate to think what it would have been like if social media was prevalent then.

And I am ready to forgive him for Brockville. He had a great left foot, but he also had great positional sense. Tactics were different then but he reminds me of Lewis Stevenson - knows what the manager wants and ensures he makes the off-the-ball movement to offer up a pass or get-out.

Kato
08-04-2020, 11:40 AM
Sorry but can't accept this.
Joe was the target of the majority of our supports frustration at that time.

Maybe so but the vocal people who gave verbal abuse were a minority. I don't think the majority of Hibs fans behave like that but a large vocal minority can make it seem so.

John Burridge didn't like the way things ended up for him at Hibs and blamed Miller. I will not base my judgement on the man on that evidence if it's all the same to you. Many many other players cannot speak highly enough of Miller so there has to be a balance.

Of course there has to be a balance. Why would Burridge lie about what in reality is a tiny part of his career?

There is evidence all over this thread and in fact all over Hibernian's stats that Miller signed and played many great attacking players, some of them Hibs legends.

However I never claimed Miller was a an overly defensive manager just that he was boring. Michael O'Neil when asked how he worked under Miller said AM just told him to go out and do what he wanted. That isn't great tactics and can only bring results in the short term.

Burridge's description rings true does it not? There were huge swathes of seasons where Hibs play was turgid, unimaginative, tentative and ..... boring. We lacked spirit in the Derbies and at times struggled to put away teams with way less talent than us by simply playing safe.

As a player Miller was part of one of the most turgid, overly defensive units I've ever seen. They relied on a midfield drilled to stop (i.e. kick, maim and foul) their opposite number. Their defence out-catenaccioed the Italians whilst their attack prompted the cliche "bounce-bounce-goal". Peter McCloy had more assists than any of their midfield. I don't think Miller had any clue about how to put and attacking team out on the park and I'll go back to what prompted this discussion on him. He put the best crosser of the ball we had back to full-back, what the heck was that all about?

Kato
08-04-2020, 11:43 AM
And in reference to the point about Joe T being told to stay back by Miller, I dont recall that.

From the horses mouth, bud. We were stood down the front of the East (can't remember the opposition) and it was obvious Joe T could have taken their full back any time he wanted. We were encouraging him to take him on and JT came over and told he was instructed not to go over the half-way line. Maybe didn't happen every game but did in that one and we watched out for him in other games where it was obvious that was instruction. Just weird imho.

erin go bragh
08-04-2020, 12:00 PM
And in reference to the point about Joe T being told to stay back by Miller, I dont recall that. I certainly think it happened with Michael Renwick or Willie Miller. In fairness, Lewis has been told by most managers to be the last man back at our offensive set pieces, though that is slightly different from telling a fullback not to cross the half way line. Super Joe was a different generation though and tactics have changed a bit since then
Always thought it was Bertie Auld that gave they instructions to Jackie Mac . Never heard Miller giving such instructions.
He didn’t play a lot of games for us but Tommy Craig could ping a pass .

BILLYHIBS
08-04-2020, 02:44 PM
Another player that felt that Alex Miller nullified his natural attacking instincts was Dougie Bell in his upcoming autobiography:

“Speaking to HIBS fans at various events at the time their overall feeling was that Alex’s tactics were a bit too negative in the big games but not the ordinary league games If we played Dunfermline for example and they were bottom half he wanted me run at them and get the crowd excited That is what I had been doing for years and since I had been at the club and I loved it Against the bigger and better teams he was now telling me that I had to sit in That might have made good tactical sense but I really disliked having to do it

In one game he asked me to man mark a particular well known Celtic player which I did That player hardly touched the ball The problem was that I only touched the ball myself about 10 times in the game and for an attacking midfielder that likes to get forward that was excruciating
The Manager thought I had one of my best games for him and I couldn’t understand how “

Michael ONeill had this to say

“Alex Miller was a really good Manager We had a bit of a love hate relationship at times but he was a very very good Manager He was always criticised for being a little bit negative but I never found him that way at all He was structured but not negative “

SideBurns
08-04-2020, 03:11 PM
Another player that felt that Alex Miller nullified his natural attacking instincts was Dougie Bell in his upcoming autobiography:

“Speaking to HIBS fans at various events at the time their overall feeling was that Alex’s tactics were a bit too negative in the big games but not the ordinary league games If we played Dunfermline for example and they were bottom half he wanted me run at them and get the crowd excited That is what I had been doing for years and since I had been at the club and I loved it Against the bigger and better teams he was now telling me that I had to sit in That might have made good tactical sense but I really disliked having to do it

In one game he asked me to man mark a particular well known Celtic player which I did That player hardly touched the ball The problem was that I only touched the ball myself about 10 times in the game and for an attacking midfielder that likes to get forward that was excruciating
The Manager thought I had one of my best games for him and I couldn’t understand how “

Michael ONeill had this to say

“Alex Miller was a really good Manager We had a bit of a love hate relationship at times but he was a very very good Manager He was always criticised for being a little bit negative but I never found him that way at all He was structured but not negative “

Really enjoyed watching Dougie Bell in his brief spell at Hibs, majestic player. To be fair to Miller, he was part of a trio of signings - along with Tommy McIntyre & Graham Mitchell - who were excellent for the club (more so Tam & Mitch, obviously).

Smartie
08-04-2020, 03:14 PM
Really enjoyed watching Dougie Bell in his brief spell at Hibs, majestic player. To be fair to Miller, he was part of a trio of signings - along with Tommy McIntyre & Graham Mitchell - who were excellent for the club (more so Tam & Mitch, obviously).

He certainly had an eye for a player and brought a lot of good players to the club.

BILLYHIBS
08-04-2020, 03:17 PM

Very good player but only played 35 games for the club

Remember his debut at a frost bound Brockville?

He would take the ball for a walk always looked as though the ball was tied to his boot

Peevemor
08-04-2020, 03:18 PM

He would take the ball for a walk always looked as though the ball was tied to his boot

The problem was that he'd invariably end up walking the ball back and forward along the halfway line.

BILLYHIBS
08-04-2020, 03:20 PM
The problem was that he'd invariably end up walking the ball back and forward along the halfway line.

:greengrin

SideBurns
08-04-2020, 03:47 PM

Aye, I was there, was around Christmas eh. He scored a beauty I think; 3-1 to Hibs?

SideBurns
08-04-2020, 03:48 PM

That's true. Sometimes wondered if he was interested in what way we were shooting, just liked running around with the ball at his feet 😁

weecounty hibby
08-04-2020, 03:52 PM
Aye, I was there, was around Christmas eh. He scored a beauty I think; 3-1 to Hibs?

I think it was early January. The ne'er day derby had been cancelled so this was first game back. Huge Hibs crowd that day. At least that's my recollection

BILLYHIBS
08-04-2020, 04:40 PM
I think it was early January. The ne'er day derby had been cancelled so this was first game back. Huge Hibs crowd that day. At least that's my recollection

Tommy McIntyre Graham Mitchell and Dougie Bell all made their debuts that day

Kato
08-04-2020, 05:20 PM
Tommy McIntyre Graham Mitchell and Dougie Bell all made their debuts that dayMitchell especially was a great servant to Hibs.

BILLYHIBS
08-04-2020, 05:29 PM
Mitchell especially was a great servant to Hibs.

Two out of three ain’t bad

Liked Mitchell McIntyre and Bell but I don’t think Bell got on with Lexo

Adam Jackson reminds me of McIntyre said that when I first clapped eyes on him at Stirling

Graham Mitchell was a very good and consistent player for us

Back on topic I loved Joe Joe Super Joe Yes he would make mistakes but always capable of producing something special

Kato
08-04-2020, 05:39 PM

Adam Jackson reminds me of McIntyre said that when I first clapped eyes on him at Stirling

Back on topic I loved Joe Joe Super Joe Yes he would make mistakes but always capable of producing something specialDidn't mean to exclude Bell or McIntyre, just that GM was around for us longer and was a very steady performer.

Peevemor
08-04-2020, 05:50 PM
Didn't mean to exclude Bell or McIntyre, just that GM was around for us longer and was a very steady performer.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using TapatalkThe League Cup semi against the huns saw one of the best performances I've seen from a Hibs defensive pairing - McIntyre & Geebsie were immense that night. McIntyre & Hanlon are very similar if compared when on form.

TheCabbage
08-04-2020, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=EVENTUALLY;6136293]He scored a fabulous goal at Pittodrie in a rare midweek 2 nil win. Hibs played great that night and Joe came on as a sub and ran in on goal from around the halfway line cork screwing Willie Miller into the pitch as he twisted him round and round again before thumping a shot past a helpless Jim Leighton.
Joe loved it and so did the sparse Hibs away support in the Beach End

Pretty sure I sat my English O
Grade that day.
Rushed through and ran to catch the Hawkhill bus.
2 points and I passed the exam as well

SideBurns
08-04-2020, 08:19 PM

Back on topic I loved Joe Joe Super Joe Yes he would make mistakes but always capable of producing something special

Joe obviously loved the Hibs, despite the barracking he took from the boo boys and always gave 100%. I hope he's got plenty happy memories too; and that goal compilation with the accompanying music is class!!