PDA

View Full Version : The Rangers Want a B Team

hibby rae
05-04-2020, 08:56 AM
I'm not a fan of this at all. I also don't think we should have Colt teams in the Challenge Cup though.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18359219.rangers-pushing-get-premiership-b-teams-lower-leagues/

Keith_M
05-04-2020, 08:57 AM
They've been rabbiting on about this for years.

Tell them to get lost.

hibbyfraelibby
05-04-2020, 08:58 AM
The way the finances are at Ibroke they might only have a B team after this is over.

Billy Whizz
05-04-2020, 09:02 AM
The way the finances are at Ibroke they might only have a B team after this is over.

They have been very quiet. Any news from them on wage cuts etc?

O'Rourke3
05-04-2020, 09:11 AM
You'd think they'd want to win one competion before trying to have 2 teams compete in two...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-04-2020, 09:19 AM
B for bigot. They are there already.

Hibs4185
05-04-2020, 09:40 AM
I think having B teams playing competitive football in the lower leagues is a great idea.

Younger players get good experience against a decent standard and you might get fans along to more of their games.

I think it raises the standard of players coming through.

DH1875
05-04-2020, 10:06 AM
How they affording that?

Bostonhibby
05-04-2020, 10:07 AM
Maybe they could reform the next time as Brangers?

Can't go on calling them sevco forever?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

hibby rae
05-04-2020, 10:17 AM
I think having B teams playing competitive football in the lower leagues is a great idea.

Younger players get good experience against a decent standard and you might get fans along to more of their games.

I think it's shows unbelievable entitlement from the bigger teams. Why should another team give way to benefit a team that has the bulk of resources anyway. It's not up to them to make us better.

hibby rae
05-04-2020, 10:18 AM
I noticed in the article Der Hun have links with Orange County in the US. Which made me chuckle.

Since452
05-04-2020, 10:19 AM
10 years without a trophy. You'd think they'd get their A team in order first before thinking about a B team

04Sauzee
05-04-2020, 10:30 AM
Can they realistically afford an A team

chippy
05-04-2020, 01:33 PM

I agree I think at least the bigger clubs in Scotland would fancy this too. What’s not to like. There is a ceiling put on promotion say no higher than league 1 or the championship. Just need to expand the lower leagues a bit to make room. I’d envisage 6-8 colts teams. Sevco, Celtic, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Killie, Motherwell. If championship is ceiling, maximum of 4 teams in Champs and league 1. The colts teams have their own promotion/ relegation system. If another 6-8 clubs wanted to join , they would be further down the pyramid, same principles Tiers 2-3 have 4 B teams in each. Tier 4 and 5 same. Tiers 1 and 2 14 or 16 team leagues. Tiers 3 and 4 could have anything from 14-20 clubs in each thus enabling up and coming clubs as well.

hibbysam
05-04-2020, 02:07 PM
I agree I think at least the bigger clubs in Scotland would fancy this too. What’s not to like. There is a ceiling put on promotion say no higher than league 1 or the championship. Just need to expand the lower leagues a bit to make room. I’d envisage 6-8 colts teams. Sevco, Celtic, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Killie, Motherwell. If championship is ceiling, maximum of 4 teams in Champs and league 1. The colts teams have their own promotion/ relegation system. If another 6-8 clubs wanted to join , they would be further down the pyramid, same principles Tiers 2-3 have 4 B teams in each. Tier 4 and 5 same. Tiers 1 and 2 14 or 16 team leagues. Tiers 3 and 4 could have anything from 14-20 clubs in each thus enabling up and coming clubs as well.

And what do you do with all the lowland league and EOS league teams who have spent a fortune on getting grounds up to scratch, facilities in place to meet the licensing criteria to enable promotion? Just say tough, your no big enough and these 6-8 clubs are going to jump the queue? If these clubs want to go through the leagues then fair enough, but they should be made to start at the bottom like everyone else, nobody should be jumping the queue.

Iain G
05-04-2020, 03:11 PM
Following their relegation perhaps Hearts could be their B team?

Hibs4185
05-04-2020, 03:14 PM
I think it's shows unbelievable entitlement from the bigger teams. Why should another team give way to benefit a team that has the bulk of resources anyway. It's not up to them to make us better.

Do they not have this system in Spain? Hasn’t worked too bad for them? You can still have relegation and promotion from lower leagues. Creates interest in the lower leagues too and perhaps boosts their attendances.

Billy Whizz
05-04-2020, 03:15 PM
Do they not have this system in Spain? Hasn’t worked too bad for them? You can still have relegation and promotion from lower leagues. Creates interest in the lower leagues too and perhaps boosts their attendances.

They do, in my opinion this is much better than a reserve League

hibby rae
05-04-2020, 03:48 PM

Would it boost attendances? If Hibs are playing that day then chances are folk will be at that game rather than the U-20s. Even if Hibs are away that day, do the U-20s not play at East Mains? Not exactly easy to get to

tamig
05-04-2020, 04:00 PM
There are already too many clubs in Scotland but there are a number of ambitious clubs trying to get into the SPFL via the pyramid system. I think it’s an arrogant and condescending view of the bigger clubs to propose this. A slap in the face to those ambitious non-league teams. The idea should be consigned to the bin imo.

The Count
05-04-2020, 04:05 PM
There is something brewing at Ibrox they have too quiet since this pandemic started.Just a gut call.

Bishop Hibee
05-04-2020, 04:07 PM
Distraction from the huge issues they are facing.

Billy Whizz
05-04-2020, 04:10 PM
There is something brewing at Ibrox they have too quiet since this pandemic started.Just a gut call.

Furlough Furlough they will furlough on, if they are lucky

Waxy
05-04-2020, 05:16 PM
No to b teams. They ruin leagues.

Paul1642
05-04-2020, 05:22 PM
Would result in the old firm snapping up a higher % of Scotland’s promising youth than they already do. Completely against.

05-04-2020, 05:27 PM
Enormous benefits for Rangers best young footballers = an enormous disadvantage for everyone else and this should voted down by every other club. Gordon Smith's point that it benefits Scottish football is utter crap.

offshorehibby
05-04-2020, 07:01 PM
We had our under 20's team playing in the EoS league not so long ago. Think they were there one maybe two seasons. It seemed to work well. Think it was maybe relegation that scuppered that.

jgl07
05-04-2020, 08:25 PM
A cunning plan to get a 'B' team in the system. The next time the big team gets into administration and liquidated, the B team would take over!

Iggy Pope
05-04-2020, 08:27 PM
We had our under 20's team playing in the EoS league not so long ago. Think they were there one maybe two seasons. It seemed to work well. Think it was maybe relegation that scuppered that.

They played one season in the EOS league and associated competitions, but further back we had Colts teams competing at that level for decades.
Relegation put paid to that recent stint in 13/14 though, you are right. The games I went to however, Hibs looked miles ahead of their opponents to the extent they were getting booted off the park. I’d love to see a 2nd XI Hibs side compete in the lower SPFL divisions, unless I’m seen to be agreeing with the Hun, in which case it’s a ****ing awful idea.

offshorehibby
06-04-2020, 07:52 AM
They played one season in the EOS league and associated competitions, but further back we had Colts teams competing at that level for decades.
Relegation put paid to that recent stint in 13/14 though, you are right. The games I went to however, Hibs looked miles ahead of their opponents to the extent they were getting booted off the park. I’d love to see a 2nd XI Hibs side compete in the lower SPFL divisions, unless I’m seen to be agreeing with the Hun, in which case it’s a ****ing awful idea.

It probably would be good to have a colts team in the lower leagues although i'm not sure how Hibs would see the progression of our youngsters, playing in the lower leagues or continue playing selected games against English opposition.

What i don't want to see is celtic and the huns shoehorned into lower league without the other clubs given the same option. It would probably require a full rethink of the lower leagues. The danger is a lot of premier teams enter teams and it just looks like the reserve league again.

Phil MaGlass
07-04-2020, 05:55 AM

The problem I see, is too many colts teams would push out other clubs unless they make the leagues bigger and its only the lowest placed colt teams that can be relegated.

chippy
07-04-2020, 08:50 AM
The problem I see, is too many colts teams would push out other clubs unless they make the leagues bigger and its only the lowest placed colt teams that can be relegated.

That is the solution. Putting the current 42 into 3 x 14 , and increasing size of both current Tier 5 feeder leagues to say 20 each would allow 6/7 colts teams who could theoretically start at a new Tier 4 ( Gordon Smiths idea- Highland league becomes Northern league, Lowland league becomes Southern league). OR immediately increase clubs to 3 x 16, allowing 6 colts clubs in Tier 3 potentially. If done in tandem with option 1 above you could have anything from 2-12 colts teams throughout pyramid. I would caveat it though and have a ‘ colts league within a league ‘ Colts teams cannot rise above Championship level; max no of colts teams in Tier 2 is 4, Tier 3 is 4, Tier 4 is 4, Tier 5 is 4. Colts teams are promoted/ relegated on that basis