PDA

View Full Version : Closed Door Games Coming?

Frazerbob
03-04-2020, 11:09 PM
Uefa has lifted the ban on showing games starting at 3pm on a Saturday live on TV in England and Scotland. Making way for closed doors games to enable the leagues to finish.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52161561

superfurryhibby
03-04-2020, 11:19 PM
Uefa has lifted the ban on showing games starting at 3pm on a Saturday live on TV in England and Scotland. Making way for closed doors games to enable the leagues to finish.

Irrelevant as the government will only be tightening public interaction measures over coming weeks. In my view there will be no football played in the coming months.

The 90+2
03-04-2020, 11:20 PM
It will happen in England where they will demand the Prem finishes. The championship too. Scotland will be different and the season won’t finish.

Itsnoteasy
03-04-2020, 11:27 PM
It will happen in England where they will demand the Prem finishes. The championship too. Scotland will be different and the season won’t finish.

So the rest of the UK have to observe the 2m distance. But it will be okay for 22 players to run about a pitch & 10 guys stuck in a dug oot.

superfurryhibby
03-04-2020, 11:31 PM

Two words, it won't.

ScottB
03-04-2020, 11:38 PM
If anything our lockdown is going to get tougher. In Wales it’s going to become a legal requirement for employers to keep their staff 2m apart, for example. There’s zero chance of football being allowed to get going again any time soon.

There was mention on BBC that English clubs had looked into it and found players would essentially have to go into quarantine for weeks prior to any of these games talking place, and remain in that state throughout, away from family etc - can’t see them rushing to agree to that if it was even offered.

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2020, 11:40 PM

No chance of it happening in my opinion.

Santa Cruz
03-04-2020, 11:46 PM
i don’t think it will happen this season. I’d be happy if started next season.

Pretty Boy
03-04-2020, 11:48 PM
The football authorities can agitate all they want. For them it's all about protecting their financial interests, particularly the huge commercial deals UEFA and the big leagues have in place.

Thankfully some states will stop any reckless attempts to rush football back.

tamig
03-04-2020, 11:52 PM
Irrelevant as the government will only be tightening public interaction measures over coming weeks. In my view there will be no football played in the coming months.

Correct. UEFA are in a tizz and living in cloud cuckoo land.

The 90+2
04-04-2020, 12:02 AM
So the rest of the UK have to observe the 2m distance. But it will be okay for 22 players to run about a pitch & 10 guys stuck in a dug oot.

Money talks. I’ve never said I agree with it.

The 90+2
04-04-2020, 12:03 AM

I hope not. Billions pumped into football may make it different though.

Pretty Boy
04-04-2020, 12:14 AM
Aside from anything else this would be a huge financial burden for clubs like Hibs. The period for furloughing employees is a minimum of 3 weeks. At that point how many staff members would have to be removed from furlough to allow us to complete our fixtures? Enough that it would be a substantial increase in costs but we would still have no matchday income to pay for it.

As I said above this is purely motivated by financial self preservation on the part of UEFA. They know the consequences of a season without the Champions and Europa Leagues and they know the legal pressure leagues such as the EPL will be under. Those bodies will also be leaning on UEFA to continue to kick the can down the road for as long as possible.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-04-2020, 12:15 AM
It can’t happen. As I’ve said on another thread - the games that we’re played “behind doors” attracted fans outside the grounds. That just can’t happen.
Thank god the OF game didn’t go ahead I’m sure that would have been completely the right decision.

My sister is in the NHS down South. I spoke with her Yesterday and I can see she’s scared. I’ve never seen her like this. Too many young people still not taking this seriously enough. It will cost the lives and put our front line folks at greater risk. She’s said use this time to make with family and friends and appreciate the moment - you just never know. And she’s not a scaremongerer.

please #stayTheEffAtHome this weekend and beyond and impress this great need on out young ones.’our front line staff are making some great sacrifices - what they are PLEADING for is for us to make a relatively small one for all out sakes.

The_Exile
04-04-2020, 12:30 AM
Always knew the bubble would burst one day with that lot, and Sky and the Premiership. It’s close.

NAE NOOKIE
04-04-2020, 12:59 AM
Absolutely no chance. It doesn't matter a rat's arse what UEFA or the SFA / FA want, no government is going to allow it within the next three months at least.

I watched a report from northern Italy on CH4 news this evening and the courage of the medical staff dealing with the carnage there was nothing short of humbling, they are the very best of humanity. If we have the same luck as Italy, and I pray we don't, then within weeks all of our NHS staff could be facing the same situation of taking their lives into their hands every time they go to work, many are already doing so.

To suggest there is any case for putting at least 50 folk into a confined space and have them play a sport where contact is inevitable is nothing short of an insult to these incredible people and the medical staff who have already given their lives.

Green Reaper
04-04-2020, 01:08 AM
Absolutely no chance. It doesn't matter a rat's arse what UEFA or the SFA / FA want, no government is going to allow it within the next three months at least.

I watched a report from northern Italy on CH4 news this evening and the courage of the medical staff dealing with the carnage there was nothing short of humbling, they are the very best of humanity. If we have the same luck as Italy, and I pray we don't, then within weeks all of our NHS staff could be facing the same situation of taking their lives into their hands every time they go to work, many are already doing so.

To suggest there is any case for putting at least 50 folk into a confined space and have them play a sport where contact is inevitable is nothing short of an insult to these incredible people and the medical staff who have already given their lives.

Well said NN and I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments

Viva_Palmeiras
04-04-2020, 07:07 AM

Well said.

It Completely sends the wrong message - folks will be arranging games in remote (or maybe not so remote) locations to get their “fix” and the whole thing starts to unravel.

In Italy they had to lose the park because too many people we’re out and about in the warm days. Don’t do it.

My sister said it’s less about you taking your hours exercise is other folks who have not been responsible compromising others. It really is a crying shame.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-04-2020, 07:11 AM

I’ve no idea where the questions of earlier easing of restrictions came up- wholly irresponsible of the journalists (I presume) to even give people the notion of such when we’ve not even hit peak yet. If you’re affected by this football will pale into insignificance.

Sir David Gray
04-04-2020, 07:50 AM
I said on another thread last night that I think it will be another 6 months at least before any football is allowed and I don't think fans will be back until next year.

danhibees1875
04-04-2020, 07:59 AM
There's a lot of good points against it that have been brought up.

Regarding the health consequences for players though - if testing becomes more widely available soon then would it not be a case of testing the 30-40 people involved in the match and then going ahead - rather than 2 weeks isolation before each game as suggested.

For the avoidance of doubt, this is in a situation where testing has become widely available and all NHS, Shop workers, and other front line staff are sorted out.

SQHib
04-04-2020, 08:06 AM
[QUOTE=Frazerbob;6134126]Uefa has lifted the ban on showing games starting at 3pm on a Saturday live on TV in England and Scotland. Making way for closed doors games to enable the leagues to finish.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52161561[/QUOTE

If anything purely making way for the EPL To be shown to the thousands of football “skysporters” who Would never leave the sofa to. Watch a Scottish game - at my work I am vastly outnumbered by “blokes” on a Monday moaning cause Man U or Liverpool lost rather then us or herts - irrelevant as far as hibs v st Johnstone won’t be on imho for good reasons stated elsewhere

Dublin07
04-04-2020, 08:08 AM
There's a lot of good points against it that have been brought up.

Regarding the health consequences for players though - if testing becomes more widely available soon then would it not be a case of testing the 30-40 people involved in the match and then going ahead - rather than 2 weeks isolation before each game as suggested.

For the avoidance of doubt, this is in a situation where testing has become widely available and all NHS, Shop workers, and other front line staff are sorted out.

Testing is only effective if you symptoms. They could test negative but still have the virus and then spread it.
This would be against social distancing and daily exercise laws. The only way I can see it being OK is if all players and staff from both teams were locked together in one place for 2 weeks afterwards and thats not going to happen and would mean 8 games taking at least 16 weeks.
In other words the whole idea is bonkers. People are dying including young healthy folk uefa need a serious word with them self.

Dublin07
04-04-2020, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE=Frazerbob;6134126]Uefa has lifted the ban on showing games starting at 3pm on a Saturday live on TV in England and Scotland. Making way for closed doors games to enable the leagues to finish.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52161561[/QUOTE

You are right mate this about protecting huge TV contracts like sky. Folk will be cancelling sky sports as nothing to watch and like virgin and wetherspoons all they care about are profits and a big xxxx you to human life.

If anything purely making way for the EPL To be shown to the thousands of football “skysporters” who Would never leave the sofa to. Watch a Scottish game - at my work I am vastly outnumbered by “blokes” on a Monday moaning cause Man U or Liverpool lost rather then en us or herts - irrelevant as far as hibs v st Johnstone won’t be on imho for good reasons stated elsewhere

I have no idea how I managed to get a quote within your quote 🤣🤣🤣

ronaldo7
04-04-2020, 08:32 AM
I'd love to see them trying to form a wall at a free kick.

Keith_M
04-04-2020, 08:36 AM

I can't see it either.

JimBHibees
04-04-2020, 08:36 AM

That channel 4 piece from Bergamo was absolutely heartbreaking both from the exhausted and scared health staff to the family members being told over the phone their relative had died and only one or two could attend a very short burial service. Should be more of these kind of news items shown across the board on other stations to ram it home across the country how dangerous this is.

Keith_M
04-04-2020, 08:45 AM

This guy has already found a solution to the problem...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41iWlAwZO7L._AC_.jpg

Keith_M
04-04-2020, 08:49 AM
Or how about this, but starting from the shoulders instead of the waist...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8e/07/90/8e0790917bf08767f63c6fc9902130a0.gif

Greenbeard
04-04-2020, 09:06 AM
If it does happen at some future stage, they will surely have to ban gobbing by players? And managers.
Not allowed to spectate. Not allowed to expectorate.
The Rijkaard Rule.

GreenCastle
04-04-2020, 09:20 AM
Mentioned on another thread I spoke with a friend who knows a coach at anEnglish Championship club in the top 2 and they said only way closed doors will happen if they put players and staff in a hotel for 8 weeks.

Can’t see this working as players would go mad and there are still other people who would have to have no contact with players.

You also have the issue of football going back to “normal” when the rest of the U.K. may be still trying to come to terms with all these deaths and illnesses.

Football can be a release but as highlighted with the wages situation in last few days the Premier league is very wary how it acts as doesn’t want the product getting a bad name. They donated £20 million after the salary cuts story came about to try make them look in a better light.

Clarence
04-04-2020, 09:29 AM
The elephant in the room is that folk aren’t going to flock back in numbers to sit right beside someone singing, shouting and coughing/spluttering not until a vaccine is discovered and made widely available- that’s probably 2 years away. I can see clubs halving the capacity of their stadium to employ, largely token, social distancing controls (every other seat vacant) to try to make a go of it but I don’t think the outlook is good.

danhibees1875
04-04-2020, 09:38 AM
Testing is only effective if you symptoms. They could test negative but still have the virus and then spread it.
This would be against social distancing and daily exercise laws. The only way I can see it being OK is if all players and staff from both teams were locked together in one place for 2 weeks afterwards and thats not going to happen and would mean 8 games taking at least 16 weeks.
In other words the whole idea is bonkers. People are dying including young healthy folk uefa need a serious word with them self.

Are you sure about that? I've never read that before.

In fact, I thought they had people who tested positive despite having no symptoms.

Sylar
04-04-2020, 09:42 AM
I don't see a problem with this if the players/coaches etc are all tested beforehand and are passed clear. Any player who tests positive for symptoms is excluded and self-isolates. If testing is continually being done by that stage, they'll identify any potential problems and prevent creating the circumstances of spread.

If it means televised football again, rather than a re-run of Euro ****ing 96, then let's hurry it up! :greengrin

jacomo
04-04-2020, 09:54 AM

Who’s ‘they’ and how will they demand it?

Of course there is enormous pressure to restart the season for financial reasons but it just doesn’t look likely at the moment.

where'stheslope
04-04-2020, 09:58 AM
What kind of game would it be?
With social distancing you have to stay 2 metres away, and not allowed to go out with other than your family.
I don't think footballers will be allowed to break the rules (unless your Jack Grealish), so that put closed door games to bed!!!!

Onion
04-04-2020, 10:18 AM

Agree. Not a chance in Hell of this Government allowing some overpaid footballers jeopardising the nations health via a second outbreak, after all the effort folk have put in to control the outbreak. No government would sanction that. UEFA haven’t got clue.

BegbieHSC
04-04-2020, 10:26 AM
Playing being closed doors won’t happen.

22 starting players, another 10-14 on the bench, with staff, coaches and match officials you’d be looking at least 60 people involved.

They’d be endangering each other, and risking the spread. I desperately miss the game, but given how hard it’s been getting NHS staff tested, it wouldn’t sit right with me at all to be testing 60 people a game.

We’ll get our Hibs back - but behind closed doors from a public health sense shouldn’t be an option.

DH1875
04-04-2020, 10:26 AM
I don't see a problem with this if the players/coaches etc are all tested beforehand and are passed clear. Any player who tests positive for symptoms is excluded and self-isolates. If testing is continually being done by that stage, they'll identify any potential problems and prevent creating the circumstances of spread.

If it means televised football again, rather than a re-run of Euro ****ing 96, then let's hurry it up! :greengrin

But if one player tests positive, will the whole team not have to isolate because they've been in contact? Even if they didn't, let's say 4/5 of our players are isolating and we are playing a team with a full squad available, how's that fair on everyone?

FilipinoHibs
04-04-2020, 10:29 AM
It will not happen . Football is finished for months. The problems football clubs, TV companies are having pales into insignificance compared to what is happening with the virus locally and globally. The least of governments worries.

Keith_M
04-04-2020, 10:48 AM
It will not happen . Football is finished for months. The problems football clubs, TV companies are having pales into insignificance compared to what is happening with the virus locally and globally. The least of governments worries.

How are things in your part of the world, mate?

Jamesie
04-04-2020, 11:33 AM
The elephant in the room is that folk aren’t going to flock back in numbers to sit right beside someone singing, shouting and coughing/spluttering not until a vaccine is discovered and made widely available- that’s probably 2 years away. I can see clubs halving the capacity of their stadium to employ, largely token, social distancing controls (every other seat vacant) to try to make a go of it but I don’t think the outlook is good.

This is a really good point that shouldn’t be overlooked: once this is all over, is there a good chance that societal attitudes change to the extent that people are a lot more infection and cleanliness conscious - and won’t wish to sit cheek by jowl in a packed stadium? Not the first time I’ve sat in the East Stand and felt spittle hit the back of my head from someone ranting and raving a few rows behind. Will that risk be enough to deter people from returning?

silverhibee
04-04-2020, 12:09 PM

It's not happening, simple as that, how many times do you test the players, they will have to train as well, in fact if players were told to play football behind closed doors they would refuse to do it.

And no government would allow it, FIFA UEFA would soon find out not everyone can be bribed.

Sir David Gray
04-04-2020, 12:14 PM
This is a really good point that shouldn’t be overlooked: once this is all over, is there a good chance that societal attitudes change to the extent that people are a lot more infection and cleanliness conscious - and won’t wish to sit cheek by jowl in a packed stadium? Not the first time I’ve sat in the East Stand and felt spittle hit the back of my head from someone ranting and raving a few rows behind. Will that risk be enough to deter people from returning?

I'd give it a few months after the lockdown ends and the majority won't give it a second thought.

CentreLine
04-04-2020, 12:29 PM
I'd give it a few months after the lockdown ends and the majority won't give it a second thought.

I think the opposite will happen. When the restrictions are lifted I think it will be like new year on the streets. People will flock to the bars, restaurants, clubs and beaches. Golf clubs will be packed and so will football stadia. It may not last long but I really do so that sense of relief being a huge driver force towards what we see as normality.

Deansy
04-04-2020, 12:33 PM

Ah, the spirit of Sepp Blatter lives on - money DOES take precedent over human lives !

In all seriousness, it won't be long before UEFA print a serious apology and retraction after having it's arse felt (could be today/tomorrow ?) - no current government is going to allow 22 millionaires to kick a ball about as they'll know the moron-element in society will take it as a sign it's ok to go out !

Onceinawhile
04-04-2020, 01:03 PM
Bubble football might be an option? Should help keep the distance. Would have to amend rules to allow running into people at full tilt, but other than that, no real changes needed.

Pretty Boy
04-04-2020, 01:03 PM
With regards to the 'sporting integrity' angle. How would it be fair to conclude a season in July or August with squads comprising different players from those that played the last round of fixtures? You can't declare players can only play players already registered as some teams have multiple players approaching the end of their contracts. Contracts expire at the end of June and the players unions will be reluctant to advise their members to sign short term deals to complete the season. The risks of injuries and the impact on future earnings is too great.

Joe6-2
04-04-2020, 01:16 PM

Exactly!

greenpaper55
04-04-2020, 01:20 PM
Players have been idle for weeks now, they will need a pre season by the time they got the go ahead for this nonsense. Just an aside to this will players be allowed to gob all over the pitch to spread the virus ? a pet hate of mine as i think it should be outlawed in any game.

Frazerbob
04-04-2020, 02:02 PM
Aberdeen chairman just mentioned on Sportsound that the ‘whispers’ are that there will be no sport ‘with supporters’ until the turn of the year.

Sir David Gray
04-04-2020, 02:10 PM
Aberdeen chairman just mentioned on Sportsound that the ‘whispers’ are that there will be no sport ‘with supporters’ until the turn of the year.

I would expect that to be the case.

That will probably be the case with all mass gatherings like concerts and festivals etc.

Frazerbob
04-04-2020, 02:25 PM
I would expect that to be the case.

That will probably be the case with all mass gatherings like concerts and festivals etc.

I agree and is clearly why the Saturday 3pm restriction has been requested to be lifted.

CockneyRebel
04-04-2020, 02:28 PM

In the current situation the only body that can DEMAND anything is the government and they will overule all and every daft notion of football or any other spectator event taking place before the virus is under some sort of control which, according to most expert predictions, is leaning more towards the end of the year rather the end of July.

The end is not yet in sight, not even the beginning of the end.

Forza Fred
04-04-2020, 02:30 PM

Sorry, disagree.

Experience in Oz where the league was played 'behind closed doors'for a couple of weeks was that some fans still travelled and turned up outside the ground and gathered together looking through cracks in the gates.

One guy even dressed up as the mascot and was only found out at half time.

Was funny then, but people crowding together for whatever reason isn't now, and I have no doubt the punters would still do it.

And, a couple of players subsequently tested positive to the virus, so as soon as that happened all bets would be off again.

hibbyfraelibby
04-04-2020, 03:27 PM
I know this serms an unlikely thing for any Scottish football fan to say but the behaviour of UEFA is making both the SFA and the SPFL look positively competent well run governing bodies...😉😉😉

Sylar
04-04-2020, 03:48 PM
Sorry, disagree.

Experience in Oz where the league was played 'behind closed doors'for a couple of weeks was that some fans still travelled and turned up outside the ground and gathered together looking through cracks in the gates.

Was funny then, but people crowding together for whatever reason isn't now, and I have no doubt the punters would still do it.

And, a couple of players subsequently tested positive to the virus, so as soon as that happened all bets would be off again.

Ach, I'm well aware how unlikely it is. I'd just really like to see a game again sometime this side of Christmas, and the thought of rewatching Euro 96 as the only scheduled football on TV is nauseating. I'd take a 'behind closer door, training game feel' match to ancient broadcasts right now, but I'm aware it all pales into insignificance in the grander scheme of things.

You highlight one of the key problems for me though - PSG played Dortmund "behind closed doors" in the CL, and thousands of PSG fans turned up outside the ground.

Just think how positive and vibrant the atmosphere is going to be when we finally have our first home game again once all of this is done and dusted.

Clarence
04-04-2020, 04:07 PM
I think they need to make a decision on calling the league soon before contracts start running out etc - re-starting the league later in the year with effectively different teams would be daft.

GreenCastle
04-04-2020, 04:12 PM
I think they need to make a decision on calling the league soon before contracts start running out etc - re-starting the league later in the year with effectively different teams would be daft.

Yup I think they want to but hands are tied currently.

Players with flats / payments for cars possible etc.

Omeonga for example is back home in Belgium - he (along with Hibs) will want to know what his future plans are. But then is restricted to travel.

It may work in Hibs favour that the loan deals are extended for another season. Who knows what will happen to Flo for example.

Haymaker
04-04-2020, 07:07 PM
Sorry, disagree.

Friends of mine still traveled to watch England play last year I think vs Montenegro? It's was a closed game so they just climbed the trees behind the stands to watch.

Since90+2
04-04-2020, 07:11 PM
Heard someone say on the radio earlier can you imagine if Liverpool played behind closed doors and officially won the league for the first time in 30 years? You'd have tens of thousands out in the streets celebrating. Same with Celtic to a lesser extent.

darwenhibby
04-04-2020, 08:17 PM
Heard someone say on the radio earlier can you imagine if Liverpool played behind closed doors and officially won the league for the first time in 30 years? You'd have tens of thousands out in the streets celebrating. Same with Celtic to a lesser extent.

And can you imagine us winning the Scottish Cup again behind closed doors??
Nobody on the streets after the last mother of all parties??
Let’s just wait until it is safe for football to return

Phil MaGlass
05-04-2020, 07:11 AM

Not a pop at you, but why the f should football players be tested before nurses doctors, me or you? At the moment theres not enough tests for NHS never mind over priveleged football players.I would be ragin if they were to be tested before me because they can play fitba.
This season is finished, and if I am honest I dont think the new season will start with full stadiums until atleast October, if it starts at all. Theres already talk that this may go quiet for a couple of months and then rear its ugly head again next winter, another lockdown?

Joe6-2
05-04-2020, 07:30 AM
Not a pop at you, but why the f should football players be tested before nurses doctors, me or you? At the moment theres not enough tests for NHS never mind over priveleged football players.I would be ragin if they were to be tested before me because they can play fitba.
This season is finished, and if I am honest I dont think the new season will start with full stadiums until atleast October, if it starts at all. Theres already talk that this may go quiet for a couple of months and then rear its ugly head again next winter, another lockdown?

I’m with you on this, bloody disgrace that football seems to be so full of its own importance, thousands of people have died and the powers that be, and others, want to get all these guys together just for a game of football, it’s just beyond belief!!!

Sir David Gray
05-04-2020, 07:52 AM

I’m with you on this, bloody disgrace that football seems to be so full of its own importance, thousands of people have died and the powers that be, and others, want to get all these guys together just for a game of football, it’s just beyond belief!!!

I could be wrong but I took it to mean that it's assuming testing is so widespread by that point that keyworkers like nurses are already being routinely tested.

I don't think anyone on here is suggesting that football players should be tested ahead of nurses, just for the sake of getting a few football matches played.

Joe6-2
05-04-2020, 08:09 AM
I could be wrong but I took it to mean that it's assuming testing is so widespread by that point that keyworkers like nurses are already being routinely tested.

I don't think anyone on here is suggesting that football players should be tested ahead of nurses, just for the sake of getting a few football matches played.

If we had widespread testing, why not allow fans to games, tho I know the logistics would be horrendous. Also think it will be a very long time before we have widespread testing.

Speedy
05-04-2020, 10:06 AM

greenpaper55
05-04-2020, 10:28 AM
Government and opposition now saying outdoor exercising could be banned ! there goes your football played behind closed doors.

Keith_M
05-04-2020, 12:27 PM
Government and opposition now saying outdoor exercising could be banned ! there goes your football played behind closed doors.

Utter stupidity.

What the hell is wrong with me going for a walk in the park to keep fit... and stop me going (even more) insane?

Sir David Gray
05-04-2020, 12:43 PM
Utter stupidity.

What the hell is wrong with me going for a walk in the park to keep fit... and stop me going (even more) insane?

It's only going to happen if the clowns having barbecues on the beach and meeting up with pals to socialise don't change their behaviour.

Alfred E Newman
05-04-2020, 12:58 PM

Good luck enforcing that.

Billy Whizz
05-04-2020, 12:59 PM
The whole point of being a football fan, is going to see your team
Unless it’s for Financial reasons, I’d hate if this happened

Pretty Boy
05-04-2020, 01:05 PM
Utter stupidity.

Absolutely nothing.

Unfortunately a minority of people including a highly qualified, high profile medical professional seem determined to spoil it for everyone though.

The abdication of any kind of personal responsibility demonstrated by some makes me wonder how they get through life. 'Oh the government didn't specifically say I couldn't drive 50 miles, climb a mountain then pop to the beach for a bit of sunbathing on the way home so I thought it might be ok'.

AltheHibby
05-04-2020, 01:56 PM
https://www.andoveradvertiser.co.uk/news/18354750.basingstokes-super-fast-covid-test-set-rolled-across-uk/

Some good news at least.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-04-2020, 02:36 PM
Utter stupidity.

Should take the minority who are still not apparently heeding the mandate
to stay at home. So if you’ve been good and stayed at home then come across some flump or flumps whilst out it could unravel the good work.

Don’t punish the many for the half-wittery of a few. But I dunno how you manage either situation tbh. It wouldn’t be so bad if folks were expiring themselves from the gene pool - but it’s the others they put at risk.

Greenworld
05-04-2020, 02:50 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52161561Not a chance of any football imagine telling the defenders your not allowed to get within 2m of any player ..maning you can't tackle ..

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

steviehibsleith
05-04-2020, 03:12 PM
Absolutely nothing.

Unfortunately a minority of people including a highly qualified, high profile medical professional seem determined to spoil it for everyone though.

The abdication of any kind of personal responsibility demonstrated by some makes me wonder how they get through life. 'Oh the government didn't specifically say I couldn't drive 50 miles, climb a mountain then pop to the beach for a bit of sunbathing on the way home so I thought it might be ok'.

Hopefully before jumping to total lockdown they enforce mandatory fines for breaking the rules. Also as some Scandinavian countries do make the fine a percentage of income . First time fines of 30 pound isn’t a deterrent for most but a percentage of income fine would be . Somebody earns 30k gets a 2% fine £600 may be more help to stop stupidity

superfurryhibby
05-04-2020, 05:32 PM
Good luck enforcing that.

This has been the cade in Spain for three weeks. The police are enforcing it with some vigour. Nobody is walking the streets without good reason. Coming our way very soon.

GreenCastle
05-04-2020, 05:43 PM
Yup lockdown will be till minimum end of the this month and probably much longer.

I can see the government getting tougher soon and exercise only 500 yards from home at most.

They are drip feeding it like the previous lockdown so it doesn’t come as complete shock to everyone.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-04-2020, 05:59 PM
This has been the cade in Spain for three weeks. The police are enforcing it with some vigour. Nobody is walking the streets without good reason. Coming our way very soon.

They do have guns to be fain! :)

Joe6-2
05-04-2020, 06:03 PM

Ridiculous that grown adults can’t be trusted to do the sensible thing!!

Sylar
05-04-2020, 06:58 PM

You interpreted my post correctly - I could have made it clear that was what I meant, but in my head, I thought it was obvious.

After all of the stuff I've read regarding the PFA etc in the past few days, I'm not sure my initial enthusiasm for televised football remains.

Frazerbob
05-04-2020, 09:57 PM
A lot of folk missing the point here. Nobody in their right mind is advocating closed doors games now, or any time soon. When the exit strategy to all this begins, it’ll be a very gradual process. It won’t be a case of one day we all go back to normal. Travel and gatherings of people will be curtailed for a good while after the first lockdown rules are relaxed. I suspect large gatherings such as gigs and sporting events will be a long way off and, if you heard the interviews with the Aberdeen & Raith chairmen yesterday, it’s clearly being discussed in those circles. We might be able to play football long before we can go along to watch it at Easter Road.

EI255
06-04-2020, 06:52 AM
This season is finished, and if I am honest I dont think the new season will start with full stadiums until atleast October, if it starts at all. Theres already talk that this may go quiet for a couple of months and then rear its ugly head again next winter, another lockdown?100% agree mate. Footballers should be treated no differently to us. In actual fact, many of us will have far more important jobs and skills than any full time footballer. Footballers should actually be lower down the testing pecking order when it comes. Common sense.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

mjhibby
06-04-2020, 07:13 AM

What I can't understand is why the TV companies seem to think that they can just body swerve this virus and not pay their last installment of the TV deals. Surely commonsense and an appreciation of the situation clubs are in should prevail. Not heard a peep from sky or bt. Surely stopping the payments just starts a chain reaction of events.

Sylar
06-04-2020, 07:24 AM

Sorry, Phil. I thought I'd had the courtesy to reply to you too, but I only appear to have replied to SDG's post.

They absolutely shouldn't be tested before any key workers - I wasn't for a moment suggesting that these pampered pooches be treated as any kind of priority. It was more 'if and when we get to a place of sufficient testing' and there's sufficient capacity to check everyone entering the stadium pre-match. I thought that would go without saying, but I should have been clearer. It might mean them getting tested before some people, but I thought there might be a bit of a trade-off with regards to live televised sport providing a bit of a morale boost for some.

As I said in my reply to SDG though, I no longer feel an enthusiasm for the idea. The PFA weaponising the NHS in their justification of exorbitant player salaries (who are currently getting paid for **** all other than keeping themselves fit) was utterly disgusting, especially when their billionaire bosses are relying on taxpayer funds to cover the salaries of furloughed non-playing staff.

Agree with the timescales on full spectator games - I doubt we'll see that until next season start at the earliest.

Forza Fred
06-04-2020, 07:42 AM
In Oz it’s just been announced that the Rugby League is considering taking a number of teams to an island off the coat of Queensland, supposedly in a ‘bubble’ to play games for television by June.

Sounds a harebrained scheme to me, and given the codes behaviour record, almost a lunatic one.

80 odd Australian rugby league players marooned on an island with little to do but drink......

What could possibly go wrong?

Joe6-2
06-04-2020, 08:12 AM
All sport has to take a step back until this virus is dealt with, we are all severely affected by this and sport really has to be low on the agenda.
I know there are massive ramifications but, everyone’s health just has to come first!

Begbie79
06-04-2020, 08:20 AM
Some German clubs returning to training today.

greenflyer
06-04-2020, 11:23 AM
What would be the special rules?

No spitting on the grass.
No sweating or breathing hard just in case some biological transfer occurs.
Goalie must wash his hands every time he holds the ball.
No headers.
No ball boys - players must retrieve themselves - argue over fetching the ball and red card.
Referee in hazard suit.
An ambulance to the game for each player.
TV personnel special permission to wire up cameras and transmitters.

If players have insurance for end of career injury does it become invalid if lungs are affected so they can no longer maintain physical stress.

Family isolation would be necessary. Where? How?

Covid19 kills people. Stop unnecessary activity until the time is safe to resume from whatever situation we eventually end with.

Keith_M
06-04-2020, 11:51 AM
Some German clubs returning to training today.

Germans appear to be practically immune to the virus.

Very weird.

Alfred E Newman
06-04-2020, 11:55 AM

We are talking about a country that is up in arms if a policeman even threatens to draw his truncheon.

ScottB
06-04-2020, 12:13 PM
We can see our own lockdown, with folk out sunbathing, having picnics, visiting their second homes...

Closed door games would be a bust for the same reason, too many morons can’t be trusted, who would turn up in big crowds outside the stadiums. For that reason, football will be delayed further, because even once it may be safe to play, they’ll need to wait for, best case, the emergency services to have the spare capacity to keep idiots away from the stadium, or wait for normal conditions to resume completely.

danhibees1875
06-04-2020, 12:58 PM
If the game was being shown live online (the relaxing of the 3pm rule) - surely people wouldn't still want to stand and look at the back of famous five stand instead? :dunno:

Badabing
06-04-2020, 01:14 PM
If the game was being shown live online (the relaxing of the 3pm rule) - surely people wouldn't still want to stand and look at the back of famous five stand instead? :dunno:

The problems would probably be more in the west. I can't see a position where either of those 2 groups of savages would stay in their house while a game was on. There sense of entitlement would result in them cramming together in somebody else's house to watch the game getting spannered while they were at it. Then the police and other emergency services would have to deal with the aftermath. Not worth it in my opinion.

Frazerbob
06-04-2020, 01:30 PM
I’ll say it again, nobody is suggesting closed doors now or any time soon. However, there may come a time when we can play football but not watch it, as large gatherings will still be banned. That’s when closed doors games might be an option.

ballengeich
06-04-2020, 02:47 PM
I’ll say it again, nobody is suggesting closed doors now or any time soon. However, there may come a time when we can play football but not watch it, as large gatherings will still be banned. That’s when closed doors games might be an option.

I think you're right, and it's why any decision on this season should be deferred. With the summer European championship put back a year there's the possibility that the season could be completed behind closed doors in its place. It would at least allow the clubs to get the tv money in, though that won't help the lower divisions which aren't televised.

Allowing an extension to the domestic season is currently the least bad scheme. It may be that things won't have improved enough by then, but we just don't know at present.

Scotty Leither
06-04-2020, 02:55 PM
I think you're right, and it's why any decision on this season should be deferred. With the summer European championship put back a year there's the possibility that the season could be completed behind closed doors in its place. It would at least allow the clubs to get the tv money in, though that won't help the lower divisions which aren't televised.

Allowing an extension to the domestic season is currently the least bad scheme. It may be that things won't have improved enough by then, but we just don't know at present.

Nah, just end it now. League positions stand, relegations and promotions limited to one down/one up, thus maintaining sporting integrity. Administration or insolvency events presupposing a transfer embargo.

Have I missed anything?

SingaporeHibs
06-04-2020, 04:20 PM

I agree, there is no rush to close off options now. The restrictions in place now will be working. It doesn’t happen in a couple of weeks but 4 weeks from now the picture could look very different to how it’s been last 2 weeks. Slowly, restrictions will be lifted. Bars and restaurants will reopen, maybe with less capacity and with social distancing restrictions within them. Offices will reopen and then we’ll see many more people travelling around on public transport. Shops will start re-opening. Etc etc etc. At some stage around then is it wrong that footballers shouldn’t be able to compete? Maybe crowds aren’t allowed back in but games could be played behind closed doors and be televised. They could finish the leagues at least.
I’m not suggesting it happens now but with the deadline extended to August there is still plenty time.
Then the debate is whether professional Football should be played without fans but that’s a different debate.

Del Boy
06-04-2020, 04:24 PM
If it’s safe to play closed door games then that should be done to finish the season. People saying it’s not fair because you lose home advantage etc - it’s still fairer than finishing leagues now. There’s no perfect solution but if it’s safe to play games in a couple months then we should be doing that.

Phil MaGlass
07-04-2020, 06:23 AM

It would if there was an agreement from the clubs to pass on a percentage to lower leagues, which also would not happen, not when the huns/hertz are up the creek

Phil MaGlass
07-04-2020, 06:25 AM
I agree, there is no rush to close off options now. The restrictions in place now will be working. It doesn’t happen in a couple of weeks but 4 weeks from now the picture could look very different to how it’s been last 2 weeks. Slowly, restrictions will be lifted. Bars and restaurants will reopen, maybe with less capacity and with social distancing restrictions within them. Offices will reopen and then we’ll see many more people travelling around on public transport. Shops will start re-opening. Etc etc etc. At some stage around then is it wrong that footballers shouldn’t be able to compete? Maybe crowds aren’t allowed back in but games could be played behind closed doors and be televised. They could finish the leagues at least.
I’m not suggesting it happens now but with the deadline extended to August there is still plenty time.
Then the debate is whether professional Football should be played without fans but that’s a different debate.

Bars,restaurants and stadiums will be some of the very last to be opened up I think. To televise closed door games would be a good start, but were still talking months down the line. Gives me time to save.

Frazerbob
17-04-2020, 10:35 AM
EFL confirm closed doors games.....

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/football-league-championship-return-behind-closed-doors-tv-stream-online-a9470056.html

Real Emerald
17-04-2020, 10:38 AM

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/football-league-championship-return-behind-closed-doors-tv-stream-online-a9470056.html

Not a hope in hell of that happening in May.

supermcginn
17-04-2020, 10:53 AM
Social distancing is here for a good while so football won’t be getting played behind closed doors for a long time either.
Of course it will, different restrictions will be passed to allow closed door games after the lockdown is ended, they aren't arranging all this just for something to do, they've obviously had advice from the government.

hibee316
17-04-2020, 11:02 AM
Of course it will, different restrictions will be passed to allow closed door games after the lockdown is ended, they aren't arranging all this just for something to do, they've obviously had advice from the government.

... or they are trying to put pressure on the government

green day
17-04-2020, 11:04 AM

For years now I have had a plan to end up naked in a jacuzzi with Claudia Schiffer.

I think my plan has more chance of happening by mid May than his one.

Wat Dabney
17-04-2020, 11:07 AM
What happens if a player tests positive for covid-19?
The whole team would have to isolate for 14 days.
That would screw up fitting the fixtures into six weeks.:dunno:

NthCarolinaHibs
17-04-2020, 11:14 AM

Wonder what the " different restrictions" would be..🤔

hibbyfraelibby
17-04-2020, 11:18 AM

They have not taken advice from the government, they are trying to pressure the government because they are a financial basket case living in a bubble.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11973696/several-efl-clubs-days-away-from-going-bust-amid-wage-dispute

Waxy
17-04-2020, 11:25 AM
What happens if a player tests positive for covid-19?
The whole team would have to isolate for 14 days.
That would screw up fitting the fixtures into six weeks.:dunno:

They’ll probably all be told to shut up.All test negative etc.

Steve-O
17-04-2020, 11:27 AM
Probably been said already but closed doors games are bloody awful to watch. I’d rather not watch at all.

lord bunberry
17-04-2020, 11:35 AM
Probably been said already but closed doors games are bloody awful to watch. I’d rather not watch at all.
They are brutal, I watched a couple from Italy before the lockdown and it was terrible.

O'Rourke3
17-04-2020, 11:38 AM
I hope not Games will require support people who would be better placed somewhere else, like a hospital or GP surgery. How are officials classified as essential? How many directors will travel with the away team etc etc. We aren't even mass testing in the UK yet or tracking. No chance.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

green with envy
17-04-2020, 11:41 AM

One thing that I would say is for sure, is that the Scottish government definitely won't allow this.

KeithTheHibby
17-04-2020, 11:57 AM

I wonder why the SPFL have not looked at games behind closed doors?

A lot of the decision making made up here has been bizarre and pretty much embarrassing.
In order to alleviate the cashflow for some clubs prize money could have released with a balance due once games have either been played / called.

Peevemor
17-04-2020, 12:10 PM

A lot of the decision making made up here has been bizarre and pretty much embarrassing.
In order to alleviate the cashflow for some clubs prize money could have released with a balance due once games have either been played / called.There's no point looking at these things until the authorities give an idea of how and when the lockdown will be lifted.

H18 SFR
17-04-2020, 12:23 PM

In order to alleviate the cashflow for some clubs prize money could have released with a balance due once games have either been played / called.

I haven’t seen any confirmation anywhere that they haven’t looked at it?

hfc rd
17-04-2020, 01:17 PM
The logistics of playing football even BCD is a huge stretch.

What medical staff will be required and why should they be at a football match and not on the front lines in hospital?
Social distancing will remain important in the fight against the virus until we have a vaccine or an effective treatment, why will Footballers be expected to break that?
What limit will be imposed for public gatherings and will a skeleton staff of football staff break that even without crowds?
Will insurance companies cover teams for CV and if not will players even be allowed to play?
Will clubs be able to afford to play BCD when you consider the overheads and player bonuses?
Have any players returned to their home country that will be unable to travel back to the UK for matches?

Just a few off the top of my head. When restrictions relax in a few weeks or months time, everything won’t be back to normal. It will still be under restrictions and who knows that a second wave of this virus will follow? Football will be one of the last things to come back.

Lago
18-04-2020, 05:55 PM
And yet they claim to have plans in place to play behind closed doors as soon as permission granted, plan includes TV broadcasting for the fans.

Keith_M
19-04-2020, 07:52 AM

"...confirmed matches are almost certain to resume behind closed doors."

"...confirmed that there is no scheduled date for the return of football"

"...a plan that recommends a return-to-training date for players of 16 May, should the level of lockdown be eased next month"

It's all ifs, buts and maybes.

Keith_M
19-04-2020, 07:55 AM
For years now I have had a plan to end up naked in a jacuzzi with Claudia Schiffer.

I think my plan has more chance of happening by mid May than his one.

Claudia just phoned me and asked for your number.

:wink:

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2020, 07:57 AM
EPL should be applauded for rightly trying to finish the season.

Since90+2
19-04-2020, 07:59 AM
If reports are to be believed restrictions could start to be lifted on 11th May with sports venues reopened in late June / early July. Don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that games could be played behind closed doors in the summer if correct.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11428725/secret-traffic-light-lockdown-masterplan/

Keith_M
19-04-2020, 08:04 AM
If reports are to be believed restrictions could start to be lifted on 11th May with sports venues reopened in late June / early July. Don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that games could be played behind closed doors in the summer if correct.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11428725/secret-traffic-light-lockdown-masterplan/

I would love to see football restarting but we're nowhere near being able to remove restrictions on social distancing, which would certainly apply to two teams of eleven, plus subs, four officials, physios, etc.

Man Down Under
19-04-2020, 08:40 AM
It's well known SPFL rely on match tickets for income more than most in Europe, since our TV deals are pennies compared to others.
I thought playing behind closed doors would be the best solution, but I suppose it'll be quite a financial burden to do so.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
19-04-2020, 09:08 AM

They have discussed it, but “when” is the question

Billy Whizz
19-04-2020, 09:10 AM
It's well known SPFL rely on match tickets for income more than most in Europe, since our TV deals are pennies compared to others.
I thought playing behind closed doors would be the best solution, but I suppose it'll be quite a financial burden to do so.

But it means they can’t pay the outstanding monies to the Premiership clubs

where'stheslope
19-04-2020, 09:11 AM

Playing behind closed doors would be a disaster, playing players wages and no money coming in????
UEFA also thinking of playing with facemasks on???
Even if we televise games, all the cameras are down south, what we get for tv highlights is to say the least dire, watching the whole game would be suicidal!!!

Onion
19-04-2020, 09:22 AM

Main Gov concern (apart from health risk to players etc) is fans gathering in homes to watch on TV. Can we see these games being played without TV coverage ? Certainly not down south where the Sky money is everything.