PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: CLUB STATEMENT

RSS Bot
03-04-2020, 01:00 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/10609)

CloudSquall
03-04-2020, 01:03 PM
Club have handled the situation as well as they could have, anther clear communication (I can't bring myself to write statement:greengrin) without any BS.

Everyone at the club has pulled together, great sign.

3pm
03-04-2020, 01:03 PM
Well communicated.

Best wishes to all involved.

speedy_gonzales
03-04-2020, 01:07 PM
Sounds like Hibs have been working hard behind the scenes over the last few weeks, identifying what staff can be furloughed without affecting the core running of our club.
Also good to see that amicable arrangements have been made with the playing staff and that any agreed deferral appears to be confidential to the individuals concerned and no veiled threats made should they not accept.
It's neither nice nor professional to wash your dirty laundry in public,,,,

matty_f
03-04-2020, 01:08 PM
I agree that the club have handled the situation very well, and you'd imagine the employees of the club will feel better for it.

All clubs are going to be finding things difficult so to be on the front foot, finding a solution with the staff, and to act so professionally, I is commendable.

Pretty Boy
03-04-2020, 01:12 PM
Looks like we have handled this as well as anyone could have expected. It's been done behind closed doors with information released on a need to know basis and it looks like there has been as positive an outcome as there can be in such circumstances.

mjh
03-04-2020, 01:27 PM
Very well handled. No panic. With the return of football for next season this will look like excellent crisis management

The 90+2
03-04-2020, 01:30 PM
Well played Hibernian - I didn’t expect anything less.

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2020, 01:30 PM
Handled very well by the club and of course the individual details are confidential as are any details surrounding salaries despite people claiming otherwise on message boards. Well done Hibs.

tamig
03-04-2020, 01:31 PM
Based on everything I’ve seen and heard from the club on this to date, it reassures me that we will come through this situation in a much better shape than most of our peers.

Bostonhibby
03-04-2020, 01:33 PM
As good as it can be in the circumstances, good do see the club working in a caring and collaborative way with everyone affected.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

hibby6270
03-04-2020, 01:35 PM
Brilliant statement.
Whole situation has been handled sensitively and communicated professionally.
Hibs class!!

03-04-2020, 01:37 PM
Well done to all concerned. Nice to see how a professional operation handles such matters.

lucky
03-04-2020, 01:45 PM
I’m not sure if I’ve read the statement correctly but it appears staff are getting furloughed but the players are deferring a portion of their salary. Does this mean staff will only get 80% of their salary up to £2500 but players and coaches take cuts but get it all back later date?

On reading it again it appears the furlough staff will get their 20% back at a later date.

number9dream
03-04-2020, 01:47 PM
So, just how does deferral work along with the furloughing process?

The government picks up £2,500 a month of a now reduced salary? Does that mean the club are still doing some considerable topping up through this crisis?

The money that gets repaid later will be the percentage that is currently cut if that is the case...

Michael
03-04-2020, 01:52 PM
What a contrast to Hearts. They need to work on their PR.

The Harp
03-04-2020, 01:55 PM
The club has acted impeccably imo since this crisis has evolved. I feel reassured we're in good, safe hands.
Well done to the decision makers at the club and all the best to the players and all the backroom staff.

we are hibs
03-04-2020, 02:12 PM
Hibs have handled this well. Seems like there were no complaints from any staff or players about it either so well done to them. I know footballers get more than most of us but if they earn say £2000 a week, they live their life at £2000 a week so its maybe not as easy as usually made out.

Lets hope we can get through this and get back to a sold out Easter Road to welcome the club back.

heidtheba
03-04-2020, 02:14 PM
Sorry, I'm afraid I really don't understand the current scheme so can someone clarify please?

Does this mean Hibs staff are being paid 20-50 percent less and that this will be made up by the club once 'all this has died down and we are back to normal'? Or does it mean the government are now covering salaries?
TIA

Joe6-2
03-04-2020, 02:15 PM
Well done the Hibernian board and staff

Joe6-2
03-04-2020, 02:16 PM
Sky telling us it’s due to ‘financial difficulties’

Vault Boy
03-04-2020, 02:17 PM
Handled perfectly. 👏

Beefster
03-04-2020, 02:19 PM
Sorry, I'm afraid I really don't understand the current scheme so can someone clarify please?

Does this mean Hibs staff are being paid 20-50 percent less and that this will be made up by the club once 'all this has died down and we are back to normal'? Or does it mean the government are now covering salaries?
TIA

I'm making a few assumptions but I took it to mean that the employees being furloughed will get 80%, paid by the government, with Hibs making up the difference later. Any employee continuing to work has agreed to have between 20% and 50% deferred, which again will be made up later.

staunchhibby
03-04-2020, 02:29 PM
Also like to say a big thank you to the club and players who have spent time phoning the seniors amongst our support.

DarlingtonHibee
03-04-2020, 02:36 PM

Think they got the wrong Edinburgh club 😳

danhibees1875
03-04-2020, 02:42 PM

To be fair, that's not necessarily wrong.

number9dream
03-04-2020, 02:47 PM
I'm making a few assumptions but I took it to mean that the employees being furloughed will get 80%, paid by the government, with Hibs making up the difference later. Any employee continuing to work has agreed to have between 20% and 50% deferred, which again will be made up later.

So, if a player is on £2K a week and agrees a 50% cut (to make the arithmetic simple), he's temporarily on £4K a month, with the government covering £2.5K - that leaves the club to find the remaining £1.5K during this shutdown.
Said player will then receive the missing £4k a month at a later date once this is all over. The players still get paid in full.
Is that what's going on?
Ross County mention topping up furloughed salaries, but our statement doesn't.

Pretty Boy
03-04-2020, 02:49 PM

That's not entirely inaccurate. Any business with no cash coming in is in financially difficulty to some extent. Cash flow is the lifeblood of any business.

We are probably in a better position that most to manage it but every club will be seeking as quick a resolution as possible.

ancient hibee
03-04-2020, 03:03 PM
So, if a player is on £2K a week and agrees a 50% cut (to make the arithmetic simple), he's temporarily on £4K a month, with the government covering £2.5K - that leaves the club to find the remaining £1.5K during this shutdown.
Said player will then receive the missing £4k a month at a later date once this is all over. The players still get paid in full.
Is that what's going on?
Ross County mention topping up furloughed salaries, but our statement doesn't.

No it’s not what’s going on.The government (tax payer)80% only applies to those furloughed.The club gets nothing towards deferred salaries.

number9dream
03-04-2020, 03:09 PM
No it’s not what’s going on.The government (tax payer)80% only applies to those furloughed.The club gets nothing towards deferred salaries.

I'm pretty sure the players are deferring AND being furloughed - but the statement isn't crystal clear. It just says the "majority of our people" in terms of the furlough process.

How do you reckon the arithmetic works out if that isn't the case? Players taking a temporary cut and the club meeting ALL of the remainder throughout this period? That's still a hefty bill with next to no income.

* The BBC story has been updated to say "all first team squad" on furlough - so they've probably phoned up to get that clarified.

Brightside
03-04-2020, 03:18 PM
I'm pretty sure the players are deferring AND being furloughed - but the statement isn't crystal clear. It just says the "majority of our people" in terms of the furlough process.

How do you reckon the arithmetic works out if that isn't the case? Players taking a temporary cut and the club meeting ALL of the remainder throughout this period? That's still a hefty bill with next to no income.

* The BBC story has been updated to say "all first team squad" on furlough - so they've probably phoned up to get that clarified.

The players arent being furloughed. IF they are furloughed they have to down tools and there is no training etc allowed. (even at home)

Smartie
03-04-2020, 03:20 PM
I don't think many players will be furloughed. Youngsters and those on a small income probably will be, but the first team squad won't be.

All of the admin staff will probably be being furloughed.

This is a damage limitation exercise. There is help available from the government to assist businesses in exactly the position Hibs find themselves in - generally sound businesses who have found themselves unable to function due to the public having to comply with government advice re social isolation. The business is temporarily non-viable but that won't be the case forever.

Whoever is suitable for the scheme and whoever Hibs can furlough whilst playing by the rules, will be. As mentioned in the statement, a core staff will be kept on and will be continuing to be paid (for example, whoever actually worked on the nuts and bolts of this statement being released). The players will probably earn too much and Hibs will have negotiated them down to an appropriate level of income for a defined period. It will mean that Hibs' own cash reserves won't bleed away quite as quickly.

I've done the same at my work, I've got it down to the minimal possible outgoings whilst there is nothing coming in. It's now just a case of waiting to see if there's enough in the bank to cover what bleeds away before we can get up and running again, and then hopefully there will be normal/ increased demand for our services at that point.

ancient hibee
03-04-2020, 03:21 PM

It is very confusing.Not quite sure how you can be deferred and furloughed at the same time.I imagine it means that the players are now considered to be laid off from any club involvement.The BBC post has definitely been amended so the above posts are wrong if the BBC are right.

danhibees1875
03-04-2020, 03:23 PM
The players arent being furloughed. IF they are furloughed they have to down tools and there is no training etc allowed. (even at home)

Not doubting you but what counts as training at home for a footballer?

I guess there's maybe tactical analysis and theoretical drills they could discuss as a team to a limited extent. But beyond that is it just eating right, and exercising? Not sure they could tell people not to do that. :dunno:

ancient hibee
03-04-2020, 03:25 PM

I don't think many players will be furloughed. Youngsters and those on a small income probably will be, but the first team squad won't be.

All of the admin staff will probably be being furloughed.

This is a damage limitation exercise. There is help available from the government to assist businesses in exactly the position Hibs find themselves in - generally sound businesses who have found themselves unable to function due to the public having to comply with government advice re social isolation. The business is temporarily non-viable but that won't be the case forever.

Whoever is suitable for the scheme and whoever Hibs can furlough whilst playing by the rules, will be. As mentioned in the statement, a core staff will be kept on and will be continuing to be paid (for example, whoever actually worked on the nuts and bolts of this statement being released). The players will probably earn too much and Hibs will have negotiated them down to an appropriate level of income for a defined period. It will mean that Hibs' own cash reserves won't bleed away quite as quickly.

I've done the same at my work, I've got it down to the minimal possible outgoings whilst there is nothing coming in. It's now just a case of waiting to see if there's enough in the bank to cover what bleeds away before we can get up and running again, and then hopefully there will be normal/ increased demand for our services at that point.

The BBC post has been amended to say that first team squad is included in the furlough.

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2020, 03:53 PM

That’s because it is, every busy whose revenue stream has come to a complete stop will have financial difficulties, no point in dressing it up.

hibbyfraelibby
03-04-2020, 04:04 PM

Who is to say they haven't developed their own customised conditioning programs? Keeping fit and training are two different things.

JimBHibees
03-04-2020, 05:15 PM
Would be surprised if the players were furloughed.

Hibs4185
03-04-2020, 05:19 PM
Quite simply hibs class.

Hearts the complete opposite.

Nothing new.

jacomo
03-04-2020, 06:06 PM
Quite simply hibs class.

Hearts the complete opposite.

Nothing new.

Budge is absolutely all over the place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52160117

Eyrie
03-04-2020, 06:14 PM
It is very confusing.Not quite sure how you can be deferred and furloughed at the same time.I imagine it means that the players are now considered to be laid off from any club involvement.The BBC post has definitely been amended so the above posts are wrong if the BBC are right.

Two separate things.

Furloughing means that the government will pay 80% of the normal salary which is capped at £2500. The employer is under no obligation to pay the other 20% but in this case Hibs will pay the entire balance of the salary at a future date which is the deferment.

So A Player is on £3k per week ie £156k per year or £13k per month and accepts a 50% deferment to £6.5k. The government pays £2k (ie 80% of £2500) because the player is on furlough and the club pays £4.5k now. The balance of £6.5k will be paid by the club to the player at a future date.

hibbyfraelibby
03-04-2020, 06:22 PM
Two separate things.

Furloughing means that the government will pay 80% of the normal salary which is capped at £2500. The employer is under no obligation to pay the other 20% but in this case Hibs will pay the entire balance of the salary at a future date which is the deferment.

So A Player is on £3k per week ie £156k per year or £13k per month and accepts a 50% deferment to £6.5k. The government pays £2k (ie 80% of £2500) because the player is on furlough and the club pays £4.5k now. The balance of £6.5k will be paid by the club to the player at a future date.

That is not how the scheme works. Its not designed to top up a salary but to replace it.

Peevemor
03-04-2020, 06:25 PM
I think the club have done well and it's good that it appears that everyone has pulled together to work things out.

A few of my own thoughts:

Firstly Hibs will be as well advised as possible on the mechanics and legality of the furlough scheme.

Any player training/keeping fit on his own, even if using a programme prepared by the club, isn't breaking the furlough rules. Sports men and women, amateur and professional, stay fit. It's what they do. Even players out of contract (and therefore without an employer) stay in shape.

The top earning players will be "losing" the most money. Assuming calculations are being based on basic wages, there'll be no appearance money, win bonuses, etc. If the games aren't played then these are earnings that aren't deferred but simply lost.

Hibs are missing out on £0.5 - £1m in income until the end of the season. It could have been more if we reached the cup final, but it could also have been less (semi). In the past Hibs budgets included for reaching the quarter finals of the cup competitions, though I don't know if this is still the case.

The real unknown will be ST sales for next season. It's great that 2k have already done their bit and more will do so in the weeks and months to come, but unfortunately many will be simply unable to do so and this is what will affect the club most and also remains the biggest unknown going forward.

Peevemor
03-04-2020, 06:28 PM
Budge is absolutely all over the place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52160117"I have a legal obligation to transfer majority ownership to the fans and I also have a moral obligation not to burden the club with football debt, that can never be written off," Budge said.

Implying other debt can be written off? Who'd've thunk it?

Eyrie
03-04-2020, 06:32 PM
That is not how the scheme works. Its not designed to top up a salary but to replace it.

It doesn't replace the salary but subsidises it as the employer still pays the cash and then is reimbursed. The intention is to avoid redundancies by covering up to 80% of salary cost (capped at 80% of £2500) with anything over that being paid by the employer. Per .Gov (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme)

At a minimum, employers must pay their employee the lower of 80% of their regular wage or £2,500 per month. An employer can also choose to top up an employee’s salary beyond this but is not obliged to under this scheme.

CropleyWasGod
03-04-2020, 06:53 PM
It doesn't replace the salary but subsidises it as the employer still pays the cash and then is reimbursed. The intention is to avoid redundancies by covering up to 80% of salary cost (capped at 80% of £2500) with anything over that being paid by the employer. Per .Gov (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme)

The cap is £2,500, not 80% of £2,500.

Otherwise, agreed :)

CropleyWasGod
03-04-2020, 07:12 PM

The statement is pretty clear that the players are being furloughed.

JDT
03-04-2020, 07:18 PM
This may have been covered in another thread but is there a way to help the club? I'd be happy to buy from the shop but I'm not sure how much the club would make and I'd prefer a more direct way of giving money

Billy Whizz
03-04-2020, 07:52 PM
Be interesting to know in these strange times, who furloughs the like of Kamberi. Can both clubs do it?

Sir David Gray
03-04-2020, 08:13 PM
Be interesting to know in these strange times, who furloughs the like of Kamberi. Can both clubs do it?

It depends if he's being paid by both clubs at the moment.

If he is then I don't see why not since the scheme is open to every employer in the UK who pays an employee through PAYE as of 28th February.

The government would pay up to £2500 per month per club.

CropleyWasGod
03-04-2020, 08:20 PM

If he is then I don't see why not since the scheme is open to every employer in the UK who pays an employee through PAYE as of 28th February.

The government would pay up to £2500 per month per club.

He's our employee, so only we can furlough him.

We will have to come to an agreement with Rangers.

Peevemor
03-04-2020, 08:22 PM

The government would pay up to £2500 per month per club.I think the player is always paid by the parent club, who are reimbursed by the borrowing club.

Radium
03-04-2020, 08:25 PM
Handled in a professional way. To the staff and players affected, thank you. Like many they will have had their own concerns but have done what they can to help out at a difficult time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tamig
03-04-2020, 08:34 PM

I take it you just made that up? What rubbish. If there was any truth in your suggestion though, how would your no training thing be enforced?

WhileTheChief..
03-04-2020, 08:43 PM
Handled in a professional way. To the staff and players affected, thank you. Like many they will have had their own concerns but have done what they can to help out at a difficult time.

Top post. :top marks

Sir David Gray
03-04-2020, 09:09 PM
He's our employee, so only we can furlough him.

We will have to come to an agreement with Rangers.

I think the player is always paid by the parent club, who are reimbursed by the borrowing club.

Fair enough I didn't know what the situation was with loan players.

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2020, 09:11 PM
I take it you just made that up? What rubbish. If there was any truth in your suggestion though, how would your no training thing be enforced?

Exactly and in any case if it was true, they could train out with their normal working hours to get round it.

JOD
04-04-2020, 01:16 AM
The cap is £2,500, not 80% of £2,500.

Otherwise, agreed :)

👍

18Craig75
04-04-2020, 07:15 AM
This group of players deserve our sincere thanks for the way they’ve worked with the club to a resolution that will ultimately see the club come through this crisis in good health.

Some of them have been given a rough time this past year, some of it justified in a football sense, but this all has an air of real class about it. Well done to the players and the club, really proud to be a Hibby. This doesn’t seem to be getting the positive media attention it deserves.

Throw in the fans buying season tickets for a season we know nothing about yet, and you’ve got everyone associated with the club pulling together and going in the same direction - it can only stand us in good stead for when the football does return!

Beefster
04-04-2020, 08:41 AM

There was a bit of speculation in the press that clubs could not provide training plans to furloughed players and insist they follow them. As you’re saying though, the suggestion that furloughed players can’t keep fit (i.e., train) at home is nonsense though.

Ozyhibby
04-04-2020, 10:58 AM
There was a bit of speculation in the press that clubs could not provide training plans to furloughed players and insist they follow them. As you’re saying though, the suggestion that furloughed players can’t keep fit (i.e., train) at home is nonsense though.

Furloughed workers all over the country will still be doing some work from home. A lot of people enjoy their jobs and like their employers. In a lot of smaller businesses people will be doing little bits and pieces at home to help out. Hibs players will have training plans at home, as will players from most clubs. Our recruitment guys will all have been furloughed but I bet they are still logging on to their computers each day.
It will be happening all over. And when it’s all over, I bet the govt will not care a jot so long as everyone is back at work.

Peevemor
04-04-2020, 11:32 AM
Furloughed workers all over the country will still be doing some work from home. A lot of people enjoy their jobs and like their employers. In a lot of smaller businesses people will be doing little bits and pieces at home to help out. Hibs players will have training plans at home, as will players from most clubs. Our recruitment guys will all have been furloughed but I bet they are still logging on to their computers each day.
It will be happening all over. And when it’s all over, I bet the govt will not care a jot so long as everyone is back at work.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkEspecially if a wee bit "cheating" means that people have jobs to go back to.

In France there's currently a system of "chômage partiel", ie. people are laid off for a specified percentage of the time.

We're using it in our place. The guys who do all the site supervision are laid off 80% of the time - 4 days out of 5 (building sites are nearly all closed) which is paid by the government and they work from home the other 20% to keep their admin up to date (paid by the firm).

jingler1954
04-04-2020, 11:38 AM
My understanding of the situation is if people are working from home as was intimated in the official statement they are not eligible to be furloughed. I'm sure if players are training they are also ineligible. As far as
I am concerned I'm just pleased the staff seem to be happy with their positions within the club whoever is paying their salary.

Sir David Gray
04-04-2020, 11:42 AM
My understanding of the situation is if people are working from home as was intimated in the official statement they are not eligible to be furloughed. I'm sure if players are training they are also ineligible. As far as
I am concerned I'm just pleased the staff seem to be happy with their positions within the club whoever is paying their salary.

Your understanding is correct. You cannot do any work for your employer during the period that you are furloughed.

CropleyWasGod
04-04-2020, 11:43 AM

It's only a "core" who are working from home. The rest are furloughed.

If the players are training, it's in their own time. Just in the same way that someone who does a desk-based, creative brain-dependent, job would do crosswords to keep their mind sharp :cb

Keith_M
04-04-2020, 11:47 AM

If the players are training, it's in their own time. Just in the same way that someone who does a desk-based, creative brain-dependent, job would do crosswords to keep their mind sharp :cb

Doing many crosswords at the moment?

jingler1954
04-04-2020, 12:00 PM
My main point was they all seem to be happy with all the different scenarios.😁⚽️⚽️😁

CropleyWasGod
04-04-2020, 12:03 PM
Doing many crosswords at the moment?

----/--- (4,3)

:greengrin

Bostonhibby
04-04-2020, 12:05 PM
----/--- (4,3)

:greengrinAny clues?

PatHead
04-04-2020, 12:05 PM

Will they be allowed to telephone supporters?

CropleyWasGod
04-04-2020, 12:11 PM
Any clues?

---/-/------ (3,1,6)

Hanna-Barbera's canine says he doesn't know.

Bostonhibby
04-04-2020, 12:12 PM
---/-/------ (3,1,6)

Hanna-Barbera's canine says he doesn't know.You got me[emoji16]

Power
04-04-2020, 12:53 PM
Will they be allowed to telephone supporters?

Good question - volunteering in this way is ok ✅

Paisley Hibby
04-04-2020, 01:04 PM
And that Mrs Budge is how you run a football club in a crisis. You get on quietly and sort it. You don't go moaning to the press at the first sign of problems.

Billy Whizz
04-04-2020, 01:36 PM
Aberdeen owner on Sportsound just now, saying that they can’t claim for players on Furlough

Interesting development

Lee Marvin
04-04-2020, 01:39 PM
Aberdeen owner on Sportsound just now, saying that they can’t claim for players on Furlough

Interesting development

On the grounds that the players are training each day and sending their training data back to club to view.

Clubs who furlough will not be allowed to have ANY contact at all with players for months.

Big difference

Beefster
04-04-2020, 02:52 PM

I’d imagine it depends on your definition of training. If they’re following training orders from the club, it’s probably working. If they are keeping themselves fit and doing stuff off their own backs, it won’t be.

If Chris Froome is on furlough (he’s not btw) and decides to go for a training cycle or Zwift session, he’s not working.

ancient hibee
04-04-2020, 02:59 PM
---/-/------ (3,1,6)

Hanna-Barbera's canine says he doesn't know.

You got me[emoji16]

Not A Scooby

hibbyfraelibby
04-04-2020, 03:08 PM
On the grounds that the players are training each day and sending their training data back to club to view.

Clubs who furlough will not be allowed to have ANY contact at all with players for months.

Big difference

So basicslly working from home with their GPS trackers on? Typical Aberdonian attitude.

CropleyWasGod
04-04-2020, 03:12 PM
Not A Scooby

Coconut 😁

dp00
05-04-2020, 08:50 AM
Sounds like the players are professional so even if not officially “training” you can bet they will be training in some form. Would imagine most of not all could make there own training plan if needed to keep themselves fit

At end of day after this is over they want to get back to playing football and will want to be fit

Keith_M
05-04-2020, 09:00 AM
----/--- (4,3)

Hmmmm,

Nope, gimme a clue....