PDA

View Full Version : Throw-ins

ABZHFC
03-04-2020, 11:05 AM
Watching an interesting YouTube piece on Liverpool hiring a throw-in coach back in 2018, who has improved their ball retention rate for throw-ins under pressure from 45% (3rd lowest to the Premier League) to 68% - the second best in Europe, only behind a Danish team who also employ the very same throw-in coach.

It got me thinking, will we eventually see similar coaching roles in Scotland? I feel like we're pretty wasteful with them most of the time, would be interesting to know where we rank in the top flight for this.

I'm not one for over-coaching, but maybe this is something clubs will look to improve on specifically as footballers get more and more technically-trained from an increasingly young age?

Tollhouse Hibee
03-04-2020, 11:18 AM
Watching an interesting YouTube piece on Liverpool hiring a throw-in coach back in 2018, who has improved their ball retention rate for throw-ins under pressure from 45% (3rd lowest to the Premier League) to 68% - the second best in Europe, only behind a Danish team who also employ the very same throw-in coach.

It got me thinking, will we eventually see similar coaching roles in Scotland? I feel like we're pretty wasteful with them most of the time, would be interesting to know where we rank in the top flight for this.

I'm not one for over-coaching, but maybe this is something clubs will look to improve on specifically as footballers get more and more technically-trained from an increasingly young age?

we must be one of the worst in Europe. our throw ins are a hindrance, not a benefit.

Vault Boy
03-04-2020, 11:25 AM
we must be one of the worst in Europe. our throw ins are a hindrance, not a benefit.

The same is true for most teams, I think we'd rank around the average for ball retention from throws.

Fans naturally notice it more for their own side, but throw ins are rarely useful for any team and the stats back that up. The exceptions become very noticeable, such as the Delap years for Stoke.

RE the OP, I can't imagine we'd ever dedicate funds for such a specific coaching department, however sending one of the current coaches on a throw in masterclass wouldn't be out of the question.

Onceinawhile
03-04-2020, 11:27 AM
I actually think our throw ins have improved quite a bit in the last two months of the season or so. We've been retaining the ball a lot better.

People seem to expect us to be creating scoring opportunities from them or something, but that's just not realistic.

ABZHFC
03-04-2020, 11:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdQHWp2OpGs

In case people want to watch the YouTube video in question, by the way. It's focused on Liverpool because they hired this bloke, but does talk about technique etc too

HappyAsHellas
03-04-2020, 11:39 AM
Whilst I'm not expecting goal scoring opportunities, I am expecting us to retain possession most of the time which doesn't seem to happen. When David Gray takes a throw in the amount of times it goes down the line to an opposition centre half is depressing. Having said that, the players have to show more effort in wanting the ball in the first place - too many just seem to hide beside their markers.
Schaedler and Darren Jackson were the last players we had who seemed to understand the importance of a throw in - you have possession - keep it!

Sas_The_Hibby
03-04-2020, 02:07 PM
Whilst I'm not expecting goal scoring opportunities, I am expecting us to retain possession most of the time which doesn't seem to happen. When David Gray takes a throw in the amount of times it goes down the line to an opposition centre half is depressing. Having said that, the players have to show more effort in wanting the ball in the first place - too many just seem to hide beside their markers.
Schaedler and Darren Jackson were the last players we had who seemed to understand the importance of a throw in - you have possession - keep it!

Too often our players seem to count a throw-in as just another version of a contested drop-ball, however.

Bangkok Hibby
03-04-2020, 05:34 PM
I actually think our throw ins have improved quite a bit in the last two months of the season or so. We've been retaining the ball a lot better.

People seem to expect us to be creating scoring opportunities from them or something, but that's just not realistic.

Improved because SDG hasn't been playing. Its not one of his strengths.

Keith_M
03-04-2020, 05:48 PM
Should we maybe follow Craig Levein's example, with the ball boys holding towels for the players?

Just_Jimmy
05-04-2020, 11:20 AM
It's because players almost always try and throw it to an attacking position. The sensible decision would be throw it backwards and retain possession.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

truehibernian
05-04-2020, 12:36 PM
Most of our throw in's are taken by Lewis and David Gray or the right full back. That's more about keeping some degree of (defensive) shape and team formation.

Those players need to work on it harder, treat it as a set piece, which it is in my opinion. Lewis in particular takes too long to set himself and doesn't see the quick throw, or keep it moving quickly. The actual retention from a throw we have is awful. Again, much down to the time we take to take them and allowing oppositions to get tight and track runners. Players have to anticipate and provide decent movement too.

Livi are particularly good at moving the ball quickly from shys.

we are hibs
05-04-2020, 01:08 PM
The thrower is rarely the problem. The chronic lack of movement is. Its just laziness.

truehibernian
05-04-2020, 01:21 PM
The thrower is rarely the problem. The chronic lack of movement is. Its just laziness.

Not laziness, just lack of understanding and practice every day to get it right. You do set piece training for corners, free kicks, even penalties - throw ins are no different but very few teams spend much time on them in training.

Forza Fred
05-04-2020, 02:32 PM
We WERE abysmal at throw ins, but this season I think we have markedly improved.