PDA

View Full Version : 2nd April 1985: Joe McBride double

Crab apple
02-04-2020, 04:33 PM
All wins are special over them but one of my favourite games at Tincastle was 35 years tonight. A late Joe McBride double after being 2-0 down. And that free kick! Anyone else have memories of the game. Absolute scenes when Joe's second went in.

mjhibby
02-04-2020, 04:37 PM
I was in the end from where he scored the equaliser. Right in line with it. Magnificent free kick. One of my fav Hibs players. Newell reminds me of him. Both wicked crossers of a ball.

bigwheel
02-04-2020, 04:38 PM
I was in the end from where he scored the equaliser. Right in line with it. Magnificent free kick. One of my fav Hibs players. Newell reminds me of him. Both wicked crossers of a ball.

Wasn’t that the Hearts end ?

Waxy
02-04-2020, 04:39 PM
I was there and this was one of my favs too.
Fat striker scored after around 30 seconds.
Gorgie road end went nuts at the equaliser.

Waxy
02-04-2020, 04:40 PM

It was.

Bostonhibby
02-04-2020, 04:40 PM

One of my favourite. Was one of my last games before we left Edinburgh. Remember it well.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Green forever
02-04-2020, 04:45 PM
Walked out with 10 minutes to go, only found out the final score when I got home. Haven't left a game early since....

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-04-2020, 04:47 PM
I can remember running home from my mates house to celebrate with my old man! 35 years ago, Jesus! 😲

CA Hibby
02-04-2020, 05:29 PM
Was that the night the wall or stairwell collapsed or am i thinking of another game

Frazerbob
02-04-2020, 05:33 PM
I was in the centre stand with my Dad, who made us leave with 10 minutes to go. Got back to his pub in Leith and he didn’t believe everyone that we’d pulled it back. (Before mobiles and the Pink wasn’t out yet). Cost him a few pints in lost bets.

Frazerbob
02-04-2020, 05:38 PM
The classic free kick was the following season was it not? I was in the stadium for that.

penihibs
02-04-2020, 05:38 PM
Was at that game as well, we left early headed to the Artisan to drown our sorrow's.
Heard the Hibs song blasting out from bar.
No Mobile phones then!!

GonzoReturns
02-04-2020, 05:41 PM
Walked out with 10 minutes to go, only found out the final score when I got home. Haven't left a game early since....

We did the same 😂😂😂😂

foxy
02-04-2020, 06:07 PM
The classic free kick was the following season was it not? I was in the stadium for that.

1st November 1986
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75CBCuKOtp0

offshorehibby
02-04-2020, 06:17 PM
I was dying with the flu and it was a stinker of a night so headed home at half time. Wasn't believing the mates when they phoned from the pub later that night 🤮

Skol
02-04-2020, 06:19 PM
The 2 goals were at the School end, Hibs were in the Gorgie end in those days. The floodlights were so poor (yep they were the same way back then) it was actually quote hard to see the far end of the park

mjhibby
02-04-2020, 06:22 PM

Correct. I went with my Jambo pal believe it or not.Had to just tut tut when the equaliser went in.

The Harp Awakes
02-04-2020, 06:27 PM
All wins are special over them but one of my favourite games at Tincastle was 35 years tonight. A late Joe McBride double after being 2-0 down. And that free kick! Anyone else have memories of the game. Absolute scenes when Joe's second went in.

Remember the game well. It's great when you come from 2 goals down at Tiny :flag:

Sammy7nil
02-04-2020, 06:31 PM

Left ten mins early too only found out the score about 10:30 when I asked two Jambos in the bar i was in as they did not look too happy. Shouted to my mates laughing i don't believe it , it ended 2-2 much to their disgust. Youngsters now won't understand how you could go thirty seconds without getting an update :greengrin

bigwheel
02-04-2020, 06:51 PM
Correct. I went with my Jambo pal believe it or not.Had to just tut tut when the equaliser went in.

They would have seen it in your Eyes [emoji2][emoji106]

Crab apple
02-04-2020, 08:49 PM

He scored a beauty the following season too but the one in this game was great too.

Crab apple
02-04-2020, 08:51 PM
I can remember running home from my mates house to celebrate with my old man! 35 years ago, Jesus! 😲

So true. I remember it like it was yesterday. Time flies. Later that year we'd go on that special League Cup run which ended in defeat to a top Aberdeen side.

hibsboy69
02-04-2020, 08:59 PM
Was at the game (in the main stand) - complimentary ticket !

Will never forget the scenes in the away end when the ball went in (a lot of Hibs fans had left to be fair)...…….those who stayed went absolutely radio rental ! I was so jealous and wished I was in there with them !

:flag:

surreyhibbie
02-04-2020, 09:11 PM
I think of that time as my "wilderness years"

Living in Aldershot, no internet, nothing in the papers, and if there was they sometimes got the score wrong! It would be tucked away under the greyhound racing results.

My best mate used to send me the Pink for a while so caught up eventually but it was a tough time...

PatHead
02-04-2020, 09:43 PM
Used to drink in the Scottie in those days. John Ferrier, who owned it at the time, was a Jambo.
He missed the kick off and missed the first goal. Nipped for a pee just before half time and missed their second. He then left with 10 minutes to go and missed Joe's two goals.
I got out pretty quickly after full time and managed to get a 26 sharpish. Got into the pub and John tried to rip the piss out of me as he didn't know the score.
Great goal from Joe and superb celebrations.

Fratelli
02-04-2020, 10:09 PM
In those days travelled home and away on the Musselburgh Hibs supporters bus and at Tynie the double decker was parked up at the top of Ashley Terrace, near to the canal.

Quite a number of the guys had left early and didn’t believe we scored a late equaliser!

Great days and some real characters from Musselburgh on the bus, including one Robin Rae who of course was on the books at Hibs and was a ‘colourful character’ to say the least!

After one defeat there, some Hearts fans ended up in the canal and on one occasion I have a recollection of one of our guys getting stabbed and us dropping him off at the hospital!

Crazy days indeed...

G B Young
02-04-2020, 10:18 PM
My mate persuaded me to stay until the end thankfully. Great scenes.

McBride followed up with another cracking free kick at Tynecastle the following season (I think) by giving us the lead in a 1-1 draw. That one was definitely televised but I can't find anything on youtube.

BILLYHIBS
02-04-2020, 10:28 PM
My mate persuaded me to stay until the end thankfully. Great scenes.

McBride followed up with another cracking free kick at Tynecastle the following season (I think) by giving us the lead in a 1-1 draw. That one was definitely televised but I can't find anything on youtube.

See my post On This Day in History Thread # 6

The Harp
02-04-2020, 11:39 PM
I was in the centre stand with my Dad, who made us leave with 10 minutes to go. Got back to his pub in Leith and he didn’t believe everyone that we’d pulled it back. (Before mobiles and the Pink wasn’t out yet). Cost him a few pints in lost bets.

I was in their centre stand that night too, as a guest of an auld Jambo (my wife's pal's dad) who I had taken to the New Year's day game at ER months earlier.
Must admit if he'd said to me "do you want to leave" 10 mins from the end, I'd have been out of there like a shot. As it was, I remember going crazy when Joe scored 2 beauties. Finished up getting a taxi to the taxi club down at Beaverbank for an extended drinking session.
Was that really 35 years ago?!?

Killiehibbie
03-04-2020, 02:03 AM
We left with about 20 minutes to go and later my brother phoned me to tell me the final score. Watched the highlights before believing him.

Fergos
03-04-2020, 04:33 AM
Was there with my aul man.

Joes free kick was a pearler, the scenes in the Hibs end were proper chaos.

Remember us streaming onto Gorgie road and all you could here was “Hibees, Hibees, Hibees” - the only and right way to leave tynie!

Great days.

GGTTH

wpj
03-04-2020, 06:03 AM
Went to Grassmarket after, we were accosted by some Hearts chaps. In the White Heart (I think) the barman was going radge shouting no colours. A massive biker was told to remove his scarf, then his Hibs top, then his Hibs t shirt only to reveal a Hibs tattoo on his chest. Place went mental and fair play to the musician who only knew two Hibs tunes but played them with gusto. Love a good draw 😁

Col L
03-04-2020, 06:30 AM
Remember it well, midweek game wasn’t it? I think Hibs were battling relegation under Blackley and the scenes were unbelievable In our end when we pulled it back thanks to Super Joe’s wand. I was still at school but had loads of nippy Jambo mates (nothing changes!) so it was great to put their gas at a peep.
The paranoia and rumours sweeping Edinburgh afterwards were hilarious - like an 80s version of Kickback... the game was a fix, Hibs had given them a bung, Gary Mackay’s auntie’s milkman said it’s true etc etc!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FilipinoHibs
03-04-2020, 07:24 AM
Remember it well. Next home Joe was greeted with rendition of Joe Joe Super Joe McBride. Marvellous two footed player.

EI255
03-04-2020, 09:09 AM
Remember it well [emoji16] I loved Joe's style. That team had goals abundance in them.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Seekyit
03-04-2020, 09:14 AM
Was that the night the wall or stairwell collapsed or am i thinking of another game

That was 1-1 on 02/01/1984. Willie Irvine equalised for Hibs.

kaimendhibs
03-04-2020, 10:21 AM
Walked out with 10 minutes to go, only found out the final score when I got home. Haven't left a game early since....Me too [emoji27][emoji27]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

snedzuk
03-04-2020, 02:03 PM
Was in the old main stand with a jambo pal and they played us off the park but then McBride scored his first and I remember my mate turning to me and saying 'if they get an eke, ill be seek'....

jingler1954
04-04-2020, 11:51 AM

It wasn't the Spay lounge by any chance?

SON OF PADDY
04-04-2020, 11:57 PM
I was on my way back from London that night!
Arrived back in Edinburgh at about 6.00am still didn't have a clue what the score was?
No mobile phones back then unfortunately, Whilst walking down Leith Walk on my way back home,I stopped a bloke delivering papers to the shops and asked " Who won last night at Tynecastle? " these lucky *******s got a draw late on was the reply.
Not afraid to say,I had a skip in my step all the way to Storrie's.😉

TheCabbage
05-04-2020, 08:44 AM
I was in their centre stand that night too, as a guest of an auld Jambo (my wife's pal's dad) who I had taken to the New Year's day game at ER months earlier.
Must admit if he'd said to me "do you want to leave" 10 mins from the end, I'd have been out of there like a shot. As it was, I remember going crazy when Joe scored 2 beauties. Finished up getting a taxi to the taxi club down at Beaverbank for an extended drinking session.
Was that really 35 years ago?!?

Ha - I was in the taxi club pre match that night as a 13 yo.
I went with my mates dad and his son both Jambos agin in the centre stand

Frazerbob
05-04-2020, 09:35 AM
It wasn't the Spay lounge by any chance?

It was yeh.

BS44
05-04-2020, 11:12 AM
The 2 goals were at the School end, Hibs were in the Gorgie end in those days. The floodlights were so poor (yep they were the same way back then) it was actually quote hard to see the far end of the park

I was fifteen year old and didn't have the best eyesight, hated wearing my glasses because I got slagged from my pals at school the moment they came out the case. At the match that evening without the specs and have no idea what happened with either Hibs goal because of the rotten floodlights and it was at the opposite end from us

jingler1954
11-04-2020, 07:33 PM
It was yeh.
I used to go to the 50s club with your dad

GibbytheHibby2
12-04-2020, 07:29 AM
Stayed to the end with my brother. Met a fellow Hibby I knew on the bus - he’d left 10 minutes early. Took a lot of persuasion for him to believe us.